Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

mem posted:

P4G runs great for me, no issues at all and I'm a few hours in. Just ran it with bog standard settings, second game I've played on deck.

Insanite posted:

Same to this. Zero issues with P4G.

OP wouldn’t happen to have old saves they’re trying to jump to on the Deck? I do see a report about that on ProtonDB, FWIW.

Huh, weird.
This is the first time I installed P4G and started up the game, so no saves at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

nekoxid posted:

Huh, weird.
This is the first time I installed P4G and started up the game, so no saves at all.

Maybe just try a re-install? From a troubleshooting perspective might be worth trying to run the game from Desktop Mode and see if your results differ at all. I'm also running it no issues with stock settings.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ys games are so loving good on the Deck

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

jokes posted:

Ys games are so loving good on the Deck
I should mention that there are a couple minor videos in Ys 1 that don't play and show up as color bars, so I'd recommend looking them up on YouTube if you want to see what you missed. After one video (that DID play properly), the game locked up on a black screen (after opening the game again, it worked fine). It's not perfect, but it still plays like 99% of the way, just save often.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just had a fantastic experience playing FF7 on the go while I had to wait somewhere and then returned home and just continued where I left off on my main desktop. I have to say, even though it's obviously nicer to play at 120fps on my main computer, 40hz on the deck is like 80% as good, perfectly fine for being on the go.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I saw a retro vid for the steam deck and now I want one

I have a computer and can do that at my desk :cripes:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I saw a retro vid for the steam deck and now I want one

I have a computer and can do that at my desk :cripes:

yeah but like, wouldn't you rather do that on your couch?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

another demo batch:

Tinykin - 60fps. Delightful looking 3D platformer from the developer of Splasher, one of the top 2D platformers on Steam. What's weird though is that the jump feel is a step down, so to speak. It's way too quick. Too-fast acceleration, too-fast drop. While it seems like devs are terrified of their jumping being called 'floaty', the reality is that a lot of the best 3D platformers not named Mario have floatiness to their jumps, that are masked with fluid cartoony squash and stretch animation (Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter, for example). As is I'm always nervous I'm not going to make a jump even with the glide ability. That said, this is pretty as gently caress and I assume not really meant to be about big difficult jumpy sequences, instead more of a Banjo Kazooie exploration affair. Keeping wishlisted and looking forward to release! Codec issue for cutscenes.

Above Snakes - Okay, this one seems to ACTUALLY not be supported, compared to the other false starts. It boots in, but past the company logos freezes completely.

Fashion Police Squad - 60fps. A retro shooter that unfortunately is competing in the same year as Seleco and Prodeus... I mean of course it doesn't match up to those. But it's good dumb fun I think. Actually manages to play well with the analog stick rather than me needing to rely on trackpad like most shooters on the Deck. The woke chemicals in my brain wanted to shout something about how policing fashion is just another form of classism or something, but I just injected some GFuel into my eyeballs to kill those cells, and enjoyed the game. It's a very linear game, with simple routing and waypoints, although there's the usual secrets to find. I'll keep an eye on reviews for this one when it releases to see if the game varies things up over the length of its campaign. Codec issue when new enemy types are introduced.

Midnight Fight Express - 60fps. I'm conflicted on this one. It's got style, it's an isometric 3D beat-em-up, pulsing music, and fluid combat. BUT... the combat reminds me a little too much of Arkham games. Complete with that "ricochet between enemies" thing, which some people love, but I personally can't stand. It just makes combat feel a lot more brainless. It'll be on Gamepass anyway, so I can just play it in full then, if I want to. A little disappointed though.

Thunder Ray - 60fps. I'll play any Punchout style game, but this one's really barebones for a game that's targeting September. They don't even have transition graphics, just "[TRANSITION]" in text on the screen. Sound design is almost non-existent, just some peppy music that doesn't really follow the action. Not wishlisting.

XEL - 60-ish fps... but it doesn't quite feel like it, which is weird, because it's not a frame pacing thing, I dunno what it is. Isometric action game akin to something like Oceanhorn but with slightly more personality. This one froze up... so that's two freezes today. I am starting to think this second Deck is ALSO dysfunctional but not AS dysfunctional as the first Deck, which means... I think I'll just hang on to it unless it ends up becoming more of a problem. Or maybe someone else can replicate the freezes I've had in Xel and Soundfall. Anyway, this game has a lot of competition with this year's Tunic and 2021 gem Death's Door. I'll look out for reviews.

Moonscars - 60fps. I thought this was maybe just a grimmydarky Metroidvania, but I think it's more akin to Blasphemous where the map is open-ish but not so much ability gated as you can go back for secrets later maybe. Your primary progression beyond exploration is a giant skill tree which you use bone powder to spend on. As far as Souls-likes go, I can get into this one especially because it'll be on Gamepass, but it won't be my first choice. I do love the fluid animation, and the lack of stamina is nice for me, a button masher. But it needs a little something extra in the pot, like how Grime had such a unique weird world and cool friendly parrying and enemy defeat perks. Will keep an eye on reviews.

Townseek - 60fps. This is a surprise! I only downloaded it because I saw two seconds of it during the Wholesome Direct's sizzle reel that crammed 30-some games into 3 minutes. I like the aesthetic of it, it's cute, it seems to be a chill little 'buy stuff in one town sell it in another for profit' game with additional stuff like fishing, repeatable side quests for money, and finding fun little things on the map. Will need a lot more variety to its questing but this is a neat game. Added to wishlist.

Melatonin - 60fps. What a fantastic Rhythm Heaven clone! This dev understands what makes the games in Rhythm Heaven fun, they understand the purpose of the pre-stage practice, they get conveyance very well. The shopping game rules, and I guess it helps that all the animations are fun to watch, particularly the credit card swipe or the boxes of food shooting food into the air. And of course there's a Remix stage to mix several stages' mechanics together to trip you up. Yes yes yes. Keeping on the wishlist and probably buying at launch. By the way? Rhythm games are very good on the Deck, I'm not having the kind of latency issues I always have with TVs and monitors. Didn't need to calibrate on this or Soundfall.

NecroSmith - 60fps. Alawar is busy these days. They used to just do hidden object games but between this and They Always Run they're like an actual game dev now, like one that doesn't just make guilty pleasure trash. That said, this game is not for me and I only needed a few minutes to confirm that. You basically build a skeletal army one soldier at a time by placing body parts together and using mana, and then they go out into the world to get resources and destroy enemies for you. It had the vibe of like, if an idle game was not idle in the slightest because you had to constantly be doing things or you'd be hosed. I guess it more falls under RTS. The game isn't tagged with RTS though, it's tagged with Tactical and Deckbuilding. And that's not what this game is. I don't even know where they got deckbuilding from, there are no cards or decks in this game. You can even watch the trailer on the Steam page, there ain't no cards!!

Midnight Girl - 60fps. Reminded me of older indie adventure game The Golden Age with its lineless vector look. Played similarly too, but I guess this is a new studio. This demo was pretty short and just okay. There's probably better stuff in adventure gaming right now (like Born Punk which people are talking about right now). Not wishlisting.

Signalis - 60fps with drops. There was one room in particular that dropped to around 30-35fps. I really liked this demo until the final 60 seconds. It's basically what I imagined from past trailers, Resident Evil on a spaceship. I'm sure the full game will have some of that. But I also feel a little bait and switched by the ending, which shifts tone, goes TOO dreamlike, references Lovecraft and has a cutscene that feels very "i love the weird parts of Evangelion". I know The King and Yellow showed up in trailers but. I feel like the game is gonna go in a direction I don't care for, right after the demo ends. Luckily it's on Gamepass so I can see if this one ends up being this year's 12 Minutes or if it is still worth the hype.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 20, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JazzFlight posted:

I should mention that there are a couple minor videos in Ys 1 that don't play and show up as color bars, so I'd recommend looking them up on YouTube if you want to see what you missed. After one video (that DID play properly), the game locked up on a black screen (after opening the game again, it worked fine). It's not perfect, but it still plays like 99% of the way, just save often.

Ys VIII and IX is perfect, at least

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I've been playing tales of arise and I can guarantee I never would have gotten as far in this game if I couldn't smoke and play it laying in my bed like a real lazy fucker.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

i must compose posted:

I've been playing tales of arise and I can guarantee I never would have gotten as far in this game if I couldn't smoke and play it laying in my bed like a real lazy fucker.

Yeah the form factor really helps with my backlog because I can sit horizontal playing JRPGs that make me fall asleep.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

jokes posted:

Yeah the form factor really helps with my backlog because I can sit horizontal playing JRPGs that make me fall asleep.

You are right this thing is a backlog destroyer but I keep getting hamperer by trying to beat umihara kawase and failing for hours at a time.

Protip: if you don't own umihara kawase go buy it it's 10 bucks and it's tough as nails...good poo poo brother

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

i must compose posted:

You are right this thing is a backlog destroyer but I keep getting hampered by trying to beat umihara kawase and failing for hours at a time.

Protip: if you don't own umihara kawase go buy it it's 10 bucks and it's tough as nails...good poo poo brother

Quote is not edit gently caress me I'm gone

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

i must compose posted:

Quote is not edit gently caress me I'm gone

Between Umihara Kawase and Earth Defense Force 5.... I'm playing a lot but not getting anywhere with my backlog!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

i must compose posted:

You are right this thing is a backlog destroyer

For me I'm not going through my backlog but replaying tons of poo poo that I love to death. I just finished up Dead Space while I was out and about and have several playthroughs of other titles (both emulated and Steam titles) in the works and I'm finding myself playing more video games in the last couple weeks than I have in the last year or two. I haven't been spending much time at home recently but with the Deck I can just put and hour or two into something when I find the time. I haven't played anything on my beefy gaming PC since the Deck arrived and I'm not sure if I ever will outside of MSFS2020 because it's a terrible experience on Deck and I have all of my flight sim gear hooked up just for that.

What are people's thoughts on a Discord for Steam Deck goons? Mangosteam Deck? Might be easier when troubleshooting and poo poo to ask there and help each other.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd join it once I got mine.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Deck definitely has allowed me to do more gaming in recent weeks than I have done in the years prior.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

got the magglass antiglare screen protector for my 256GB deck, works great and definitely makes a huge QOL difference cutting out reflections

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Disk activity far exceeding download size is good though? It means the delta compression did a great job.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah this generally speaking going to be "we properly compressed assets, and we have to uncompress them to apply a patch and recompress them afterwards because good luck delta patching a compressed file", which are things you want to see

the alternative is poo poo like Fallout 3's "we shipped an entirely different version of the entire game and all assets for every localization"

Truga posted:

the "problem" is steam's way of handling patching files by rewriting the whole file to the disk while patching it, which is generally good practice

issues come up when a game just has one or only a couple asset files, which means even if a patch needs to patch just 1 byte of these files it'll have to rewrite the whole drat thing. path of exile used to have just one data file, and eventually steam patching got so bad it sometimes took several minutes even on an ssd, and needed the whole game worth of free space or patching would fail

they've since limited their data filesize to ~5mb and broke up the file into many small ones and patching is basically instant

The problem, if and when this happens (which as I wrote isn't every game and isn't all the time) it makes "tiny" updates take forever, which is not a "good" thing; if the update is mere megabytes worth of data, it shouldn't take tens of minutes or longer to patch, compression or not. And also as I wrote, sometimes the disk activity is more or less the size of the entire game's install base; are you telling me that every file needs to be patched (from a few MB download) or that the game stores all its assets in a single compressed file? I almost think that you haven't seen the wildly disproportionate updates that I'm talking about. Here's an example:

So that's a pretty tiny game installation in the first place, relatively speaking (understandable considering it's a procedurally-generated, low-fi game.) But the update requires r/w equaling 2/3 of the game's files, apparently, and the disk activity is more than 1000 times the size of the downloaded data. That's wasn't even for a major update, that was just a bugfix. I have more screenshots on my gaming desktop that show far more massive updates (think rewriting tens of GB for Destiny 2 and the like.) I just can't believe anyone would think that this is "good."

To clarify that this is on-topic: of course it impacts the Dreck too, and like Truga said Steam temporarily sequesters free disk space to perform updates, and if storage is at a premium on any PC, it's the Dreck above most others.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Deep Rock Galactic stores all its assets in a single 1.6 GB file. (FSD/Content/Paks/FSD-WindowsNoEditor.pak)

The safe way to write files is to create an entirely new file from scratch and once the new file has been verifiably written to disk, delete the old file. This is how basically all software works, except for specialized file formats like databases that are designed to be partially rewritten. Game assets aren't databases, and aren't written to at all, and every single game uses its own proprietary file formats that Steam doesn't have any way of understanding.

Your complaint is at the same approximate technical ignorance as those people who used to complain that their RAM was full because Windows was caching file data in memory.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I’m not really playing many steam games on my deck since I got emudeck going

Man, this device is godlike

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lordfrikk posted:

From what you said this seems like a game problem, not a Steam problem.
"kinda"

Atomizer posted:

I just can't believe anyone would think that this is "good."
it's good in that it's p. much best practice to do that because it leads to consistent behaviour (everyone has identical files, leads to fewer issues, easier to debug), doesn't fragment your files (technically faster loadtimes though it's mostly academic on an ssd), and no wasted space with sparse files (good on ssd since space is expensive there)

it's bad that games which ship with big data files on steam take forever to patch. this is probably why many games on steam that have that kind of storage scheme usually just ship their own patcher and only update steam files on larger updates. warframe, ff14, lotro, etc all do this

since that leads to fragmentation and lost space, the games that have launchers and a single big file will have an option to "optimize data file" or similar, which then takes the data from old file to write a completely new file without wasted space and fragmentation, basically delaying the "rewrite whole file" problem until an opportune time

finally, steam really has no way of opening and randomly manipulating game asset files, right now it's just a file/patch distribution platform as far as games go. valve could probably get an agreement with unreal and unity to support editing their asset files directly while patching, which would help with some games, but in my experience, worst offenders are usually custom asset packs anyway, and while i'd love valve to support game patching properly, lmao no way they're gonna support my artisanal indie game file packs

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What settings should I be using to make fps feel better?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Depends on the game really.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DrManiac posted:

Bluetooth mouse and keyboard?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DrManiac posted:

If by "fps" you mean frames per second:
1) Set graphics settings lower
2) set the screen's refresh rate to 50 or 40hz depending on what the average framerate is

If you mean First Person Shooters:
1) Give the trackpads a shot.
2) Try setting them to function like a mouse and give them momentum (works really nicely for games like warframe)
3) You will need to play with the sensitivity and get a feeling for what you prefer, each game will need to be tuned separately
4) Check the community profiles, a lot of the steam controller profiles will work well as a starting point

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m really bad with the trackpads and keep unintentionally pressing them in when I just mean to scroll with them

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

jokes posted:

I’m really bad with the trackpads and keep unintentionally pressing them in when I just mean to scroll with them

disable the on click action imo

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I recommend going into your steam deck system settings for the joysticks and reducing the deadzones wayyyyyy lower to have more sensitive sticks. As long as they return to within the circle (no drift), then you're good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah, 95% reducing or outright removing dead zones on the sticks is crucial for using it as a mouse imo

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Atomizer posted:

The problem, if and when this happens (which as I wrote isn't every game and isn't all the time) it makes "tiny" updates take forever, which is not a "good" thing; if the update is mere megabytes worth of data, it shouldn't take tens of minutes or longer to patch, compression or not. And also as I wrote, sometimes the disk activity is more or less the size of the entire game's install base; are you telling me that every file needs to be patched (from a few MB download) or that the game stores all its assets in a single compressed file? I almost think that you haven't seen the wildly disproportionate updates that I'm talking about. Here's an example:

So that's a pretty tiny game installation in the first place, relatively speaking (understandable considering it's a procedurally-generated, low-fi game.) But the update requires r/w equaling 2/3 of the game's files, apparently, and the disk activity is more than 1000 times the size of the downloaded data. That's wasn't even for a major update, that was just a bugfix. I have more screenshots on my gaming desktop that show far more massive updates (think rewriting tens of GB for Destiny 2 and the like.) I just can't believe anyone would think that this is "good."

To clarify that this is on-topic: of course it impacts the Dreck too, and like Truga said Steam temporarily sequesters free disk space to perform updates, and if storage is at a premium on any PC, it's the Dreck above most others.

Patching a compressed game is temporary. Having a larger game on your hard drive lasts forever. Why would you want that trade off?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't even notice my titles updating half the time. I dunno what you are doing with your Dreck, Atomizer.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shouldn't games have very small container files for related functions and sections, or flat files? Dunking everything in a several gig .pak file seems lazy

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is there a keyboard equivalent to the Steam Button when not in Desktop Mode?

I was playing a game then plugged into the TV then didn't have a good means of cleanly exiting the game so I could switch to Desktop Mode.

Alt+F4 will send you to a logon prompt which was not something I was expecting (though did allow me to reboot the system).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Is there a way to change the controls for desktop mode at all? I've tried to go into the settings while in desktop mode, and I've loaded a preview for controls, but I can't seem to press anything that says "Yes, this is the layout I want, I want to leave this menu"

The way it is, desktop mode is really annoying to use.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Momomo posted:

Is there a way to change the controls for desktop mode at all? I've tried to go into the settings while in desktop mode, and I've loaded a preview for controls, but I can't seem to press anything that says "Yes, this is the layout I want, I want to leave this menu"

The way it is, desktop mode is really annoying to use.

yeah, you can, it should work. Here's a guide on reddit with a link to a controller config: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t6c4w6/steam_deck_desktop_mode_configurations/

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Shouldn't games have very small container files for related functions and sections, or flat files? Dunking everything in a several gig .pak file seems lazy

It is, but it's all dependent on "how much the game company pays their build engineer"

it may not shock you to find out that a lot of game build engineers are college students whose only experience with build engineering is "the outgoing build engineer giving them a 2 week crash course" if they're lucky, and "our last build engineer left, here's their PC, good luck" if they're not

There's a reason every once in awhile you hear a story about a game deleting entire folders of non-game-related content, it's because the same flawed NSIS script that doesn't have a check for "make sure the game actually created a for-the-game installation folder before deleting the entire folder on uninstall" has been one of the first google results for "NSIS installation script template" since 2005

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So part of that problem is people googling the answer off stack exchange without understanding what it does, and yolo'ing the consequences, and the management going "idc fuckin send it or we will miss quota!"

Incompetence all up and down the stream

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

an iksar marauder posted:

I’m not really playing many steam games on my deck since I got emudeck going

Man, this device is godlike
I was only planning to maybe run a few games off retroarch steam but after looking at how far emudeck has gone so fast it's impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzSHxccmIg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So part of that problem is people googling the answer off stack exchange without understanding what it does, and yolo'ing the consequences, and the management going "idc fuckin send it or we will miss quota!"

Incompetence all up and down the stream

if it weren't for incompetence we'd have no competence at all moron