Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please be sure to tell me what you're shooting at in addition to the weapons you're firing. :shobon:

The darkness. Or, failing that, the Gazebo. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

berryjon posted:

The darkness. Or, failing that, the Gazebo. ;)

I believe you mean the construction cranes.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
If we convince the Capellans we've lost our minds by putting on a pretty lightshow, they'll let their guard down.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^^
They'll think it's Chinese New Year!

Fire everything at the ground, we'll dig our way out of this.

(Dig up, stupid!)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Clan conga lines are twice as festive and half as long.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

EI implants activated, initiate disco mode.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Random fun fact: This is the first mission I'm actually splitting movement out the way I should, so enemy movement from last turn will be displayed on the first map in addition to player / ace movement and only enemy movement will appear on the second map (which has always been next turn's movement and happens after Combat anyway).

If that doesn't make sense, it will once you see it. As always, I'm open to comments if it doesn't 'work' for anyone.

Edit: I may give ACE units a different movement color on future turns to make sure they stand out.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 2, 2015

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Dolash posted:

Clan conga lines are twice as festive and half as long.

It's going to be even better / worse next turn! :v:

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

EI implants activated, initiate disco mode.

Activate Enhanced Imaging Mode!

code:
     [[^]]
     /[8]|)
    ! | |    
    * ^ ^

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

PoptartsNinja posted:

Random fun fact: This is the first mission I'm actually splitting movement out the way I should, so enemy movement from last turn will be displayed on the first map in addition to player / ace movement and only enemy movement will appear on the second map (which has always been next turn's movement and happens after Combat anyway).

If that doesn't make sense, it will once you see it. As always, I'm open to comments if it doesn't 'work' for anyone.

Edit: I may give ACE units a different movement color on future turns to make sure they stand out.

Any chance we could con you into putting a little "A" sticker beside ace units in addition to the different colored lines?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Psion posted:

I believe you mean the construction cranes.

No, they've already been shot. Time to move on to the next target!

terrenblade posted:

code:
     [[^]]
     /[8]|)
    ! | |    
    * ^ ^

Is that supposed to be the King Cobra?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

shalafi4 posted:

Any chance we could con you into putting a little "A" sticker beside ace units in addition to the different colored lines?

It'd double the number of things I'd have to move for each ACE. I'll consider it, but probably the answer will be 'no.'

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It'd double the number of things I'd have to move for each ACE. I'll consider it, but probably the answer will be 'no.'

Understandable. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rise of the Phoenix: Tactical Update 3

“But they’re pirates!” Lieutenant Senior Grade Caroline Coronado sputtered, her hands dead weight on her Rampage’s control stick. The big Assault `Mech was a Rim Worlds original, captured shortly after Kerensky’s failed Coup on Terra and inherited down the Coronado family line until the engine had given out over a century ago. Left in mothballs, the bulk of its advanced technology forgotten, the recovery of the memory core on Helm had leant new life to the ancient machine. Her family had presented the `Mech to her when she’d graduated from the Allison MechWarrior Institute.

It’d served her well ever since, the powerful Assault `Mech had seen her through two Capellan ambushes and downed two lighter machines already. The combination of speed and firepower had taken the Capellans by complete surprise. A single charge had broken the second Ambush entirely. Capellan morale was likely in the shitter, but nobody expected an Assault `Mech to run down a fleeing Vindicator. Unless it was a Charger. And even so most of those had been retrofitted through the centuries to something more resembling a ‘traditional’ assault `Mech.

“We can’t trust them, Captain.”

“Major,” Carlos corrected.

Coronado winced—she knew the fiction, that he was a Major and a Battalion Commander in the Free Worlds League Military and not the heir apparent to the Captain-Generalcy, but it was easy to slip up. Unlike the other Great Houses, the League made their nobles earn their rank rather than simply buying it, and while owning a BattleMech and employing it for state use was a guarantee for officer training it wasn’t enough to guarantee more than a Lieutenancy even for Duncan Marik’s son. Carlos had earned his rank—but he was far too young to call Major. In the heat of the moment she’d slipped up. It’d been bound to happen eventually, and at least it wasn’t grievous—she hadn’t said his name—but it was telling how exhausted they all were after months on the run.

“Sorry, Crusader-7,” Coronado sighed. They needed off this rock. “Proceeding as ordered.”

Movement Phase
King Cobra (Player)
- Activates MASC!

Timber Wolf (Player)
- Activates CNI
- Attempts to enter hex 1032, but the hex is already occupied.
- - Movement ends in hex 1034

Shooting Phase
Grand Titan (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 34!

Rampage (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Guillotine (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0811!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Marauder Zhang Fei (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (16/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Marauder Zhang Fei (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Marauder Zhang Fei (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Marauder Zhang Fei (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, 6 missiles hit Left Torso (22/24 armor remaining), Center Torso (33/35 armor remaining), Right Torso (22/24 armor remaining), Center Torso (31/35 armor remaining), Center Torso (29/35 armor remaining), Left Torso (20/24 armor remaining)!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 28!

Thunderbolt (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Marauder Zhang Fei (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 11, hit Left Leg (17/32 armor remaining)!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 20!

Gallowglas (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

BattleMaster (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 reflected glare = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 reflected glare = 11): rolled 10, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 reflected glare - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (16/26 armor remaining)!
- Gains 42 heat, sinks 42!

Archer (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1433!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 reflected glare = 10): rolled 10, 12 missiles hit Left Arm (13/18 armor remaining), Right Torso (14/19 armor remaining), Right Arm (16/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 reflected glare = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 20!

Wolverine II (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement + 2 glare + 1 reflected glare = 14): automatic miss!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 20!

King Cobra (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 26!

Timber Wolf H (Player)
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement + glare penalty ignored = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement + glare penalty ignored = 11): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 36!

Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (White)
- Holds fire!

Warhammer Gong Gong (Black and Orange)
- Holds fire!

Warhammer Jiangshi (Black and Blue)
- Holds fire!

Marauder Lu Bu (Black and Red)
- Holds fire!

Warhammer Golden Boy (Gold)
- Holds fire!

Warhammer Jade Girl (Jade)
- Holds fire!

Shadow Hawk Qing Long (Blue)
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Wolverine II (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 glare - 2 pulse laser = 11): rolled 8, miss!

Marauder Guan Yu (Green ACE!)
- Holds fire!

Marauder Zhang Fei (Silver and Red ACE!)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1410!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Guillotine (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (12/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 at Guillotine (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 (Smoke) at hex 1209 (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 2): automatic hit!

Pillager Liu Bei (Red and Gold)
- Holds fire!

End Phase
Marauder Zhang Fei
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 8, succeeds!

Marauder Bai Hu
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 9, succeeds!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules:
Glare – Any unit standing above level 0 suffers a -2 penalty due to intense sunlight reflecting off the local rocks. All units attacking a unit standing above level 0 suffer a -1 penalty due to intense sunlight reflecting off the target unit. These penalties stack.

Mission Objective:
- Break Through (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Nice chip damage. Next turn is going to be messy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is that a bait Warhammer?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

goatface posted:

Looks like it. I think the players can take some shots without getting jumped too hard by the Marauders.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I have to admit that I half-expected to either miss all my shots or eat a lot of return fire - all things considered, I think that it wasn't a bad trade this turn! At least unless I'm being hopelessly optimistic.

Kial posted:

I agree.

I suppose there's nothing for it but to get stuck in, eh? :getin:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Kial posted:

There will be blood.

Players, please note that the Capellans now surely know that the force leader is in the Grand Atlas and probably suspect who he is. Expect them to go after Marik pretty seriously if given the chance.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
That Pillager is definitely running 6 per turn, so its sheet is a dirty lie and the Cappies have it specced out differently than we're expecting. It's going to be a real pain in the rear end in future turns.

I'm legitimately surprised to see the Marauders taking the long way around, but now it's pretty obvious that PTN is trying to box Carlos in. On the other hand, Carlos, the Gallowglas and I all running up and beating on that bait Warhammer from three angles looks incredibly tempting, even if it is bait. We can't exactly get much farther by ignoring it, after all.

Future-turn-wise, trying to get Carlos out along the extreme right side via the canyon that starts around 2609 looks like a good move now that the Warhammer is out of the way and most of PTN's forces are trying to stall the Corsairs or circle around us. The Gallowglas and I can stall the Marauders and the Pillager, at least in theory.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Dachshundofdoom posted:

That Pillager is definitely running 6 per turn, so its sheet is a dirty lie and the Cappies have it specced out differently than we're expecting. It's going to be a real pain in the rear end in future turns.

I'm legitimately surprised to see the Marauders taking the long way around, but now it's pretty obvious that PTN is trying to box Carlos in. On the other hand, Carlos, the Gallowglas and I all running up and beating on that bait Warhammer from three angles looks incredibly tempting, even if it is bait. We can't exactly get much farther by ignoring it, after all.

Future-turn-wise, trying to get Carlos out along the extreme right side via the canyon that starts around 2609 looks like a good move now that the Warhammer is out of the way and most of PTN's forces are trying to stall the Corsairs or circle around us. The Gallowglas and I can stall the Marauders and the Pillager, at least in theory.

Gallowglass here

Actual tactical comment:

Think we could surround him and do a round of circle kicks? Turn after I can do what I can to put myself in the way of the marauders to buy time.

Joking tactical comment:

must.... resist.... :black101: :black101: :black101: DFA :black101: :black101: :black101:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

goatface posted:

Sorta, yea. The Green Marauder can make it to 1806, and it's got a brutal short range punch with the twin LVSPLs and a snubbie. The missile armed grey/red Marauder can't quiiite round the corner, it can only get to 1707. The players can put an outrageous amount of hurt on the red/black Warhammer (Get inside gauss min range), and only the Green Marauder and the Warhammer can shoot back.

Carlos should absolutely go in for the kick on the Warhammer, as it will entirely strip the armor from that leg if it connects. Just be sure to face 2109, so that if the Green Marauder swings around to 1806 it won't get backshots.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 3, 2015

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
You can circle gank (maybe not kicks) in somewhat safe positions. The Marauders can't get that far around. Think about the turn after as well though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
PTN, shouldn't the Thunderbolt's ECM coverage on the green warhammer acting as a hub cut off the Ace effect for the golden warhammer and blue shadowhawk?

I don't remember seeing the Warhammers swap to ECCM mode at least.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,what should be my plan of attack? Try and use the CC on one of the Aces? Or try and cap a bitch? Or both?

Edit: I was thinking of moving to 1129 and trying to shoot either the Blue or White Ranger,unless that plan's stupid/infeasible.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 3, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So the marauders CAN Get that far around due to their 8 movement. Going for kicks will result in you being trapped and shot in the back.

I checked.

However the tbolt and guil could turn that smoke against the enemy, and set up a firing squad on the green whammy while staying close enough to carlos to support.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Can someone fill in what smoke does? I don't quite recall the rules. :shobon:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pooncha posted:

Counts as light woods for both movement and shooting penalties iirc.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

However the tbolt and guil could turn that smoke against the enemy, and set up a firing squad on the green whammy while staying close enough to carlos to support.

Interesting idea. Can you explain further?

Pooncha posted:

Seconding this request, it'd be extremely useful.

e:

beaten

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Thank you. :)

Looking at the map right now, things do seem tricky.

My first thought is to charge in and beat up the green Warhammer about to round the corner. Hopefully I will also be able to draw enemy fire from Carlos for another precious turn - two can play the baiting game. Barring an unfortunate headcap/TAC I could probably tolerate a round or two of concentrated fire.

Other ideas are also appreciated.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Soup Inspector posted:

Interesting idea. Can you explain further?

Seconding this request, it'd be extremely useful.

e:

beaten

Smoke acts as light woods against firing but clear for moving

Tbolt can run 5 into 1110 and twist to rake the green whammy with all his guns on an 8 for the gauss and mere 5s for his pulses, guil runs into the hex north of the tbolt, suffering slightly on his firing but enjoying even move cover. he would roll against 7s with his lasers and 8s with the streaks. (and should alpha and then break los next turn to cool.)

Meanwhile everyone else outside the green whammy and gold whammy would face a lot of smoke if they tried to continue pursuit of carlos and fire, or ruin their pursuit for still not that great shots.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 3, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pooncha posted:

Thank you. :)

Looking at the map right now, things do seem tricky.

My first thought is to charge in and beat up the green Warhammer about to round the corner. Hopefully I will also be able to draw enemy fire from Carlos for another precious turn - two can play the baiting game. Barring an unfortunate headcap/TAC I could probably tolerate a round or two of concentrated fire.

Other ideas are also appreciated.

It's hard to work out movement thoughts without knowing what the ECM cut did to the aces from the green warhammer hub, if anything.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I've got pretty straightforward orders for this round.

Captain Redbeard's Archer Orders:

Movement:
Walk forward one hex to 1334

Fire Phase:
Fire both LRM 20s at the white shadowhawk in 2029

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

I don't remember seeing the Warhammers swap to ECCM mode at least.

They don't explicitly need to be, IIRC. 2 ECM bubbles cancels out 1 hostile one unless my brain is going haywire tonight.

They also don't lose the ACE bonus until after they end their movement inside an ECM bubble, but right now they've got local ECM superiority.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Alright,still waiting for suggestions. Any juicy targets that could be within my range?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Either myself or the Rampage can go to 1908 to get shots on the Whammy while still hiding from the Marauders.

My concern is exposing my right arm to that much firepower. I'd rather not lose my X-Pulse lasers before I even get to hit anything with them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're there to be used. Keep the target either straight on and my chances of hitting an arm are pretty low. Keep them in your left side arc (dangerous, and you can't kick) and I can only hit the right arm if I roll an 11.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

So there is a risky option that can allow the players to turn the ace against the marauders if those continue the pursuit, and dogpile the whammy this turn.

gal 2309 facing 2209, carlos 2108 facing S, rampage 2109 Facing whammy

Then you plow the whammy with all the fire you can bring on it without overheating. (carlos only fires 1 xpulse so he can use the rest of his guns the other two alpha all notleg guns into the whammy since they have enough sinks.) and then kick it 3 times while its hopefully down.

It actually might be overall your best move to make for this turn for those 3 simply because it does give you the most options for the next turn to either evac carlos or turn the tables.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So at a glance you've got four Capellans trying to hold off the Corsairs and six moving in for the kill on Carlos. It seems extremely important to not let that Warhammer bottle up the Thunderbolt and Guillotine, because that'd turn the Capellans' local advantage around Carlos himself into 5-on-3. Likewise the Corsairs are really going to have to get in close with the Capellan rearguard and push through even if it leaves them exposed.

I assume focus fire will still be important and the white Shadowhawk took some encouraging scratches, but it's also rotating further away and chasing it would be a distraction. But at the same time, leaving it alone will be backshot-city.

• Locked thread