Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its less that 'they' killed it and more that 'it sold like dogshit and every single thing intsys has made in the past fifteen years that isnt fire emblem or paper mario has also sold like dogshit'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how badly, you ask? the week codename steam came out in japan, it failed to chart in the top 20 games sold that week. so what was the 20th place game's sales?

quote:

[PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2015 (Konami, 03/26/15) – 1,863

in other words, the week of its release, codename steam sold less than 1,863 copies. And probably substantially less. And there was no consistent push after release, or tail to that, so sales probably dropped substantially after that first week. The game also got mediocre reviews in the US and no real press, so I doubt it did that much better there.

If Awakening had just been a modest success instead of a blockbuster one, STEAM would have probably still killed the company. That's how badly it did.

So no, I do not expect them to make anything that isn't Fire Emblem anytime soon.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Carlosologist posted:

A camel cavalier in the GBA sprites would have some crazy crspit animations

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

a more desert/middle eastern themed fe could be really fun cause you could do stuff like camel cavaliers

I love this idea and maybe it would inspire a fun desert map for the first time in the series.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I loved a lot of the Hoshidan classes, I'd love to see those again. Mechanist was really cool as a design.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The aesthetic and theming of Hoshido in general was really fun and despite Fates sucking poo poo I'd hate it if they never revisited that stuff again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'd also say that a futuristic Fire Emblem would still feel pretty different from Advance Wars.

Fire Emblem is all about persistent hero units that grow through a campaign. A futuristic Fire Emblem would have your child soldier protagonist shoot people in the face at the beginning, and steadily get stronger as he goes until his giant robot murders everything with its tail. You get specific people, and they're with you to the end of the line. If someone dies, it's a tragedy and maybe a reset.

Advance Wars is about disposable units, like in an average RTS. You send them out, they die, you replace them, no fuss. A futuristic Fire Emblem would still be very different from any advance wars, and likely more successful.

I don't think Heroes including mechs is a sign they're planning to go futuristic in the next game, but I do think that Heroes testing it out is in part a way to see how fans respond to the idea.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a mecha/sci-fi fire emblem would be way closer to front mission than advance wars, yeah

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I liked the idea of that Dune!FE someone mentioned earlier, but not for the sci-fi aspect of it. I'd be down for the more occulty bits of it. Like I can see FE doing the "he turned himself into a worm so he could be an immortal regent" kind of thing in a fun way.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

What is a giant worm but a dragon without limbs?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

New Super Metis posted:

What is a giant worm but a dragon without limbs?

A lousy, no good, job stealing wyvern.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know what? When you're right, you're right.

gently caress dragons, in general.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Wark Say posted:

this but the exact opposite

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

going against the grain so you can get cool points when the popular opinion changes is a tactic that only works when it's something that won't be eternally viewed as cowardice

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think a future FE would be really cool if they inverted the usual schtick of a lord being an esteemed noble or prince or princess and instead shifted to that character being a royal-in-exile because they hosed something up and their story is about regaining their "lost" honor and privilege.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

loving dragons is how you end up with Corrin, and nobody wants that.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Carlosologist posted:

I think a future FE would be really cool if they inverted the usual schtick of a lord being an esteemed noble or prince or princess and instead shifted to that character being a royal-in-exile because they hosed something up and their story is about regaining their "lost" honor and privilege.
:hmmyes:
The Lord character archetype could do with more unique backstories, and "disgraced noble" is always a fun trope.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TriffTshngo posted:

going against the grain so you can get cool points when the popular opinion changes is a tactic that only works when it's something that won't be eternally viewed as cowardice
No, I just generally dislike dragons. Tiki and Fae are (sorta) ok.

Guess what I'm trying to say here is gimme more birds:
https://twitter.com/gloamglozergay/status/1383232952197206022?s=20

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

loving dragons is how you end up with Corrin, and nobody wants that.

On the other hand, it's also how you end up with Morgan being the second oldest member of the Shepherds, and that's hilarious.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Folks looking for sci-fi Fire Emblem should play Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars. That fits the bill pretty nicely.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Carlosologist posted:

I’ve always had an idea where you invert the typical Marth-type lord by making them the villain. Like have the game’s first act be about a peasant revolution where only the royal family’s youngest son is spared and spirited away to a sympathetic neighboring country. And then you have a timeskip followed by a second act in which the now grown-up prince leads an alliance of the other nations in the setting in an invasion attempt to retake the country that has to be repelled by the heroes.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A Fire Emblem game where you do a populist uprising has been my fan dream for a long time.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Edelgard was a step in that direction, but though she had similar goals she wasn't really doing populism. Hell she doesn't even tell the nobility what she's all about most of the time outside of her own route. Much less rally the common folk. Though I think pre-modern settings, whether historical or fantasy, kinda preclude outright populism most of the time simply because of there not being the required social/technological complexity or the population size.density for it. The only pre-modern historical examples I can think of where populism was a thing ere city-state deals like Republican Rome or Classical Greece. FE1 has a Greco-Roman aesthetic to it so doing "Roman Populism Emblem" where you push through land reform by winning a turn based tactics map could totally be within the series wheelhouse.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

On the other hand, it's also how you end up with Morgan being the second oldest member of the Shepherds, and that's hilarious.

The real reason to do this is that her being the daughter of both christ and the anti-christ does a lot to explain why she is such a natural force of destruction.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Endorph posted:

its less that 'they' killed it and more that 'it sold like dogshit and every single thing intsys has made in the past fifteen years that isnt fire emblem or paper mario has also sold like dogshit'

I agree that Advance Wars would not be posting Awakening-tier numbers and that’s probably why IS hasn’t published a new one (that and I don’t think Days of Ruin sold well), but this is too strong. Advance Wars may not have been a smash hit that redefined the place of IS in the world, but it was definitely a success— otherwise, they wouldn’t have made three more games.

The shift to HD console development means IS is more than busy enough trying to make Fire Emblem and Paper Mario, so I doubt we’ll see Advance Wars come back anytime soon. But I think there’s at least a 20% chance we see another game in the next 50 years.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

galagazombie posted:

Edelgard was a step in that direction, but though she had similar goals she wasn't really doing populism. Hell she doesn't even tell the nobility what she's all about most of the time outside of her own route. Much less rally the common folk. Though I think pre-modern settings, whether historical or fantasy, kinda preclude outright populism most of the time simply because of there not being the required social/technological complexity or the population size.density for it. The only pre-modern historical examples I can think of where populism was a thing ere city-state deals like Republican Rome or Classical Greece. FE1 has a Greco-Roman aesthetic to it so doing "Roman Populism Emblem" where you push through land reform by winning a turn based tactics map could totally be within the series wheelhouse.

Trying to look back at a modern lens makes that era weirder not less so. Like the institution of the empire was seen as an improvement over the senate and if you asked the average Roman the res publica never changed. (Ie the fundamental form of government.) Not that a game where you basically played the Gracchi wouldn't' be awesome.

Basically playing a gang slash political party fighting other gangs in the city until you get enough power and your reforms are hated by the rich so they try and take you out. You could then do the Julius Caesar thing of fleeing, getting an army and then coming back to destroy the Republic as the final act. I'd play that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well thanks to the recent conversation and me being in the FE mood lately it turns out i'm playing FE6 hard mode (despite just saying like two days i didn't have any desire to). i'm only in chapter 3 right now but, at the risk of repeating myself, this is once again feeling a lot more surmountable than i was expecting! like, after hearing about the extra levels bug i was expecting maddening levels of stat inflation to be going on, and it's definitely not that.

not to say it isn't hard though, i'm cheating with regular application of savestates/rewind function because i can't play FE without a rewind mechanic anymore and with that the difficulty seems just right for a pretty fun experience, so i'm looking forward to the rest of this. i quite like FE6! more than i do 7, i'd say.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I think a lot of complaints for FE6 hardness comes down to shakey hit rates on some of the bosses/in general, which isn't very fun to deal with since it's just a dice roll.

Speaking of which I kind of hope hit rates just... go away soon. I don't know how I would replace them or deal with crit but getting rid of the battle RNG would make the games better IMO. They've gone to a lot of trouble to make the RNG less frustrating (2RN, rerolling stats, Divine Pulse) and the only people that enjoy missing a 96% and dying to a 1% hit are the three people who won't shut up about playing Iron Mans.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 24, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Also, bring back fixed level ups as an option, but implemented in a less stupid way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
XCOM chimera squad basically did away with RNG as far as it's almost always better to use abilities that guaranteed stuff over just shooting (Shooting was pretty bad).

And XCOM 2 early game was almost no regular shooting past the initial first missions, especially Grenade spamming.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I like hit, but crit should definitely die or be asymmetric. Getting stomped by a 2% crit is not compelling strategic gameplay.

I liked the cruel Fates RN system, though. It felt like a good compromise between 2RN and a pure hit rate system.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

nrook posted:

I like hit, but crit should definitely die or be asymmetric. Getting stomped by a 2% crit is not compelling strategic gameplay.

I liked the cruel Fates RN system, though. It felt like a good compromise between 2RN and a pure hit rate system.
I feel like if they're using 2RN, enemies should be hardcoded to just not crit* unless they're specifically a swordmaster with a killing edge or w/e

dying to a faceless mook because of a 1/1000 chance is the kinda thing that just makes you go "gently caress this" and stop playing

*with the exception of stuff like lunatic difficulty, of course

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I do agree that going forward enemy crit rate should generally be locked to 0 by default and only given to specific enemies that are actually meant to be scary, and bosses. The alternative of, "oh an enemy Brigand walked up and hit a 6% crit on my low luck archer I was training, thanks game" both engenders bad feelings toward the game and encourages turtling even more than FE normally does.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Alacron posted:

A Fire Emblem game where you do a populist uprising has been my fan dream for a long time.
Third Tellius game set a couple decades after RD where you play as Begnion rebels seeking to bring down both the Senate and the Apostle since nothing was really solved at the end of RD except the immediate apocalyptic threat.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Strange Matter posted:

Third Tellius game set a couple decades after RD where you play as Begnion rebels seeking to bring down both the Senate and the Apostle since nothing was really solved at the end of RD except the immediate apocalyptic threat.

Didn't you kill basically all of the Problematic Senators during Act 4 and the Finale? Possible exception of Oliver if he forced his way onto your team.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

I do agree that going forward enemy crit rate should generally be locked to 0 by default and only given to specific enemies that are actually meant to be scary, and bosses. The alternative of, "oh an enemy Brigand walked up and hit a 6% crit on my low luck archer I was training, thanks game" both engenders bad feelings toward the game and encourages turtling even more than FE normally does.

I wouldn't give bosses crit as the norm either. It's pretty frustrating when you have a boss with a Spear or something that has 3 crit on all your units, so you just have to roll the dice and pray you don't get killed. IMO, both enemies and players shouldn't be able to crit unless they were using a specific weapon that allows it (i.e. Killer weapons). Maybe you can give a player character a unique skill that allows them to crit with normal weapons. Basically the way it works in FE4, just without the leveling weapons thing.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Risk-Free Emblem sounds boring. There are plenty of ways to deal with low crit enemies and they even gave you the turnwheel (and casual mode) for the instances where you take the risk anyway and it backfires. I know human brains get all weird when numbers go above what we can count on one hand's fingers and i'm certainly guilty of it myself as well, but it's really not the game's fault if you decide a x% chance is never going to happen and then get mad when it does in fact happen x% of the time.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

I feel like if they're using 2RN, enemies should be hardcoded to just not crit* unless they're specifically a swordmaster with a killing edge or w/e

dying to a faceless mook because of a 1/1000 chance is the kinda thing that just makes you go "gently caress this" and stop playing

*with the exception of stuff like lunatic difficulty, of course

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your exact point, but crits have always been 1 RN; 2 RN has only ever been for hit rates specifically and nothing else.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tae posted:

XCOM chimera squad basically did away with RNG as far as it's almost always better to use abilities that guaranteed stuff over just shooting (Shooting was pretty bad).

And XCOM 2 early game was almost no regular shooting past the initial first missions, especially Grenade spamming.

Huh, you basically illuminated why I love Enemy Within but bounce hard off Xcom2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

vilkacis posted:

Risk-Free Emblem sounds boring. There are plenty of ways to deal with low crit enemies
what are they