System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ToastyPotato posted:

So is it a given that Twitch chat has shat itself because of whatever they did to implement Turbo? Because I remember there being unlocked twitch face bugs last week before Turbo was officially announced, and now the chat servers have been screwed for days since Turbo went live.

The League of Legends LCS has also started in that time period, bringing hundreds of thousands of people on to Twitch's already unreliable servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think Josh is really close to getting WR on Batman again, he's getting pretty legit splits on the first three stages now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Dias posted:

I think Josh is really close to getting WR on Batman again, he's getting pretty legit splits on the first three stages now.

4-1 is being a huge douche though. Those jump guys really are the only consistent run killers he has left.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

ToastyPotato posted:

4-1 is being a huge douche though. Those jump guys really are the only consistent run killers he has left.

And the claws on the last level.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

evobatman posted:

Is there a link for this?

Yes indeed.

Super Metroid is really one of the best games to watch speedruns of and Garrison's stream is great. Yesterday he was trying to learn how to use the Space-Time Beam to glitch through the barrier to Tourian, pretty crazy stuff.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Josh was on pace on one of his first runs but the hook things in 5-1 hosed him.

That is literally the only random thing in the game that could have ruined the run and its relatively minor and of course the RNG screws him.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
Funkdoc is having a great run! Just missed one strat but making up ground. His new strats are going heat up the race! You should check it out and wish him an awesome birthday! Go go! 840 viewers, lets push it up to 1K!

e: welp, he went to go party with his peeps

SevenStringGuru fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 10, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

iastudent posted:

E: Also how well does it play with XSplit or OBS?

From the OBS changelog:

quote:

* Added support for Elgato capture cards (many thanks to the Elgato team)

I only learned of these guys by poking through the new OBS features, and having the Elgato team help out on a project like that impressed me.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dxtr took another 0.4s off his Batman PB, still 10:37 though. He was in line for 10:35 after stage 4.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Funkdoc might need a break from the game or at least from streaming his runs. He's been pretty ragey lately. More ragey than I really can remember him being.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Don't mind me if posting your stream links is annoying to y'all but I'm working on joining teamSRL and they aren't letting new people get on the front page so easily. Any goon support would go a long way, so if you like speedruns, that's about 50% of the content I stream.

I've got a very competitive time on Super Star Wars for SNES and I'm working on improving it...right now! Get in for new strat attempts (aka FFFFFF-reset)

https://www.twitch.tv/danzel_glovington

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Danzel Glovington posted:

Don't mind me if posting your stream links is annoying to y'all but I'm working on joining teamSRL and they aren't letting new people get on the front page so easily. Any goon support would go a long way, so if you like speedruns, that's about 50% of the content I stream.

I've got a very competitive time on Super Star Wars for SNES and I'm working on improving it...right now! Get in for new strat attempts (aka FFFFFF-reset)

https://www.twitch.tv/danzel_glovington

Hey Danzel I didn't know you posted here.

quote:

Funkdoc might need a break from the game or at least from streaming his runs. He's been pretty ragey lately. More ragey than I really can remember him being.

Its because the run he needs is about as perfect as it can get, there's 0 room for errors, he needs good everything, good pattern on 4-3 boss and he's been on pace and one tiny thing in stage 5 fucks him, I can understand his frustration.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The Sunday Sequence Break is starting now, this week focusing on terrible Sonic games.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Its because the run he needs is about as perfect as it can get, there's 0 room for errors, he needs good everything, good pattern on 4-3 boss and he's been on pace and one tiny thing in stage 5 fucks him, I can understand his frustration.

Another component is something Klaige mentioned on his stream a couple nights ago. It's the first time Funkdoc's been in active competition for a WR in one of his games instead of just trying to retake it after someone's been sitting on a time for awhile. Add that to the fact that he's running a game as precise as Batman and it's easy to see why he's getting more flustered than usual.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Hey Danzel I didn't know you posted here.

That's understood but what I am saying is that he needs to take a step back because (and he is the first to admit it) he gets mind hosed after a few blunders. He never does well angry it seems. I also notice that he makes a lot of mistakes while chatting with the stream, and should probably do is own "Serious time" type stuff. As you mentioned, there isn't really room for error any more and explaining to the chat for the 50th time that Withhelde is living with them or that Dxtr has the WR is appearing to actually be distracting him at key moments now.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I don't know if he's really getting more flustered than usual. He could get pretty ragey at plenty of his other speedrun projects. You probably notice it more in Batman because there are more early resets than in most of his other runs (Bad Street Brawler had some early resets due to the one glitch often crashing the game but that's less frustrating and more hilarious).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

iastudent posted:

Another component is something Klaige mentioned on his stream a couple nights ago. It's the first time Funkdoc's been in active competition for a WR in one of his games instead of just trying to retake it after someone's been sitting on a time for awhile. Add that to the fact that he's running a game as precise as Batman and it's easy to see why he's getting more flustered than usual.

That too, which is also why he might need to do some self imposed serious time.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I don't know if he's really getting more flustered than usual. He could get pretty ragey at plenty of his other speedrun projects. You probably notice it more in Batman because there are more early resets than in most of his other runs (Bad Street Brawler had some early resets due to the one glitch often crashing the game but that's less frustrating and more hilarious).

It's not so much that he is more mad than usual, but rather Batman is a game that seems to make him madder more often at this point, if that makes sense. It's a very short game that has been so distilled at this point that there are a couple of points in every level it seems that can blow up a run.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Withhelde just started playing Batman on Funkdoc's stream when he left for a bit, it would be amazing if he got the WR.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Zeether posted:

Withhelde just started playing Batman on Funkdoc's stream when he left for a bit, it would be amazing if he got the WR.

Isn't Withelde a chick? Are they dating or what the heck?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Withhelde identifies as female, and she's living with Funkdoc. I don't know what sort of relationship they have though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gamma Nerd posted:

Withhelde identifies as female, and she's living with Funkdoc. I don't know what sort of relationship they have though.

None, he's helping her move to his state it seems.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Alpha3KV posted:

The Sunday Sequence Break is starting now, this week focusing on terrible Sonic games.

Sonic 06: The game where they just kinda forgot to code in physics.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Somehow Sonic 06 gets more broken the more time passes.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Alteisen posted:

None, he's helping her move to his state it seems.

Well, they have a friendship and seemingly a ton of respect for each others' gaming skills. Although they don't run the same games I know they are watching each others streams whenever they can.

And hey Alteisen, yeah I mostly post in LPs, and as such mainly those goons see my streams but yeah if you see me on SRL one day I'll say hey :)

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
Funkdoc is on fire having some great runs. Shaved 3 seconds, but then hit a bad spot. I really think he's going to do it tonight One the plus side he hit 1K users!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
frozentreasure, Admiral H. Curtiss and I found some new TTYD glitches that might lead to big sequence breaks. It's late for me right now, but a bunch of us are going to keep testing tomorrow.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
It's not exactly speedrunning, but a lot of awesome Melee matches are going on in Trihex's channel.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Suspicious Dish posted:

frozentreasure, Admiral H. Curtiss and I found some new TTYD glitches that might lead to big sequence breaks. It's late for me right now, but a bunch of us are going to keep testing tomorrow.

This was a crazy night. It started with Dish finding a glitch using Flurrie to load the Rogueport badge shop but not actually enter it. Then more experiments were done, and suddenly things just spiraled out of control and led to.....this. :psyduck:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 11, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

More on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNN_3H7O6Gs

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Zewing just broke carlsagan42's Yoshi's Island any% warpless WR with a 1:48:40 run. His stream is here if you want to find it in archive: http://www.twitch.tv/zewing/new

Meanwhile, Blkyoshi is working on establishing a record for Yoshi's Island any% with warps, as no previous run with warps beat Sagan's time: http://www.twitch.tv/blkyoshi/new

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Feasel and Darkwing Duck picked up Super Dodge Ball a couple days ago and both beat the SDA record within their first couple attempts. Currently Feasel is trying to beat DD's 6:08.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The Batman war between dxtr and funkdoc is really great and I hope one of them gets the god run soon.

I was looking to speedrun both Suikoden and Suikoden II (both any% and 100% for both games at some point), and I found this single-segment run of Suikoden 1 any% on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YVfoDXb_Bw. At first when I was watching it I thought it had some good strategies, but after watching the whole thing, I really question the validity of it. The run both relies on and receives an ungodly massive amount of luck to do what it does, and with it being on emulator, I really don't know what to think.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CVagts posted:

The Batman war between dxtr and funkdoc is really great and I hope one of them gets the god run soon.

I was looking to speedrun both Suikoden and Suikoden II (both any% and 100% for both games at some point), and I found this single-segment run of Suikoden 1 any% on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YVfoDXb_Bw. At first when I was watching it I thought it had some good strategies, but after watching the whole thing, I really question the validity of it. The run both relies on and receives an ungodly massive amount of luck to do what it does, and with it being on emulator, I really don't know what to think.

I hate that my Suikoden disc 2 was hosed up when I got it (used) back when I was a teenager. I was really loving the game and then suddenly, broken fights crashing the game and all kinds of scuffs and scratches I didn't bother to check for because I was a dumb kid buying a dirt cheap game. It sapped my will to ever finish it. :smith:

Can someone answer me this? Is it possible to ever get back the magic mirror if you lose it? I had it on a character that I did not know was suddenly not going to be available anymore...

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Metasigma took back his Evermore WR in style, 1:45:38. Someone for the love of god get this guy some recording equipment.

E:
<@metasigma> oh...and that's improveable by atleast a min and a half
<@metasigma> sub 1:44 here I come ;)

:stare:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
http://archive.org/details/AwesomeGamesDoneQuick2013 - every run has a low bitrate version up, higher bitrate versions should show up in the coming weeks

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

Hey come watch the rear end end of a Paper Mario run by Cosmo: https://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright/new

Currently 2 minutes 30 seconds ahead at final Bowser.

E: -2:23 after final bowser. New WR! 2:52:00.34

Obscure Risk fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 11, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dxtr just got a 10:30:72.

Batman race over.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Alteisen posted:

Batman race over.

Haha yea, i wonder if this is going to demoralize funkdoc... 10:30 is loving ridiculous.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Alteisen posted:

Batman race over.

A few more seconds could have been shaved from that run too, so it ain't necessarily over yet - though I'd be surprised if Dxtr touches Batman again anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Batman race over.

Holy poo poo. Can't wait to watch that run when it hits archives. Kinda bummed I missed it live. Poor Doc. Doc needs to get back to Holy Diver anyway. Batman is lost.

Edit: I think he is replaying it on the stream??

• Locked thread