Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They should have been more subtle because you can see the “Lynch mobs are bad” message pretty much from the beginning, and you sit through the vast majority of the movie waiting for the movie to hit you over the head with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I did not like Halloween Kills.

On a positive note, I will be watching the new Candyman tonight, looking forward to that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

On a positive note, I will be watching the new Candyman tonight, looking forward to that.

I really dug the new candyman

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

T Bowl posted:

IT'S BEEN 40 YEARS

EVIL DIES TONIGHT

(Me in the back, out of sync)

evil dies tonight

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

davidspackage posted:

(Me in the back, out of sync)

evil dies tonight

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Candyman '21 was pretty good. Kinda wanna pick it up the UHD.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dragged this out for a different thread but might as well relive it here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPMYRlvySY

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Basebf555 posted:

I liked Halloween Kills quite a bit more. Thought they kind of blew the ending of both....but the Candyman ending had more to gain/lose in my opinion.....seeing as how it's an origin story rather than just another slasher with a seemingly invincible boogeyman.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Burkion posted:

This is fantastic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Burkion posted:

This is great

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

halloween kills isnt as good as halloween 2018 or the original halloween and halloween 2 but imo its better than the rest of the sequels and is a pretty good dark comedy even if that probably wasnt the intention. it owns.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Michael Myers is the Goku of slashers

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

halloween kills isnt as good as halloween 2018 or the original halloween and halloween 2 but imo its better than the rest of the sequels and is a pretty good dark comedy even if that probably wasnt the intention. it owns.

I think it was intended, but I didn’t think it was a great movie either. Though I did have a great time seeing it in a theater. Overall I thought it was about as good as 2018 honestly. I can’t really rank the Halloweens honestly, I can only group them into tiers.

great: Halloween 78
very good: Season of the Witch
pretty good: Halloween 2, Zombieweens 1 and 2, Halloween 18 and Kills, H20

Bad, dumb, and the mask looks stupid: all the rest

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
4 is ok, damnit.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I mostly just didn't liked the end. Halloween Kills spoilers Like alright so he's an unlikable demon. That means that entire storyline about the dumbass cop that's guilty he couldn't or didn't kill Michael Myers actually means nothing because he couldn't have anyway because he's invincible.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the generally accepted North American Horror Director icons are Wes, Romero, Carpenter and Lynch give or take right? Like if you had to distill it down

So would the generally accepted four great actors of Horror of that era be Cushing, Lee, Price and Pleasance?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

4 is ok, damnit.
4 honestly would be better than 2 if it wasn't somehow the worst loving mask.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you forgot Zombie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

you forgot Zombie

Burkion posted:

Horror of that era

I assure you I did not

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Burkion posted:

So the generally accepted North American Horror Director icons are Wes, Romero, Carpenter and Lynch give or take right? Like if you had to distill it down

So would the generally accepted four great actors of Horror of that era be Cushing, Lee, Price and Pleasance?

I don't really consider Lynch a horror movie director if I had to pick 3 it would be Craven , Carpenter, Romero , and if I had to add to that I would say Cronenberg more than Lynch.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I mostly just didn't liked the end. Halloween Kills spoilers Like alright so he's an unlikable demon. That means that entire storyline about the dumbass cop that's guilty he couldn't or didn't kill Michael Myers actually means nothing because he couldn't have anyway because he's invincible.

They just need the turtle from IT!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

I think Lee and Price would probably be the most obvious, but after that I think you'd get a lot of different ideas of who the other two should be, especially if you're going to include actresses.

I feel like Pleasance is too much about just the one role to really be my choice, similar to someone like Englund who obviously has done other horror work outside of Freddy but not a whole lot of it is memorable. And of course if you're going to throw actresses in there then it gets a lot harder.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

4 is ok, damnit.

I know a lot of people like it but I tried revisiting it in 2020 and I had a hard time with it. I don’t hate any of them really though. Well maybe I hate Resurrection.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i like the first rob zombie halloween but his halloween 2 doesnt really feel like a halloween movie imo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i like the first rob zombie halloween but his halloween 2 doesnt really feel like a halloween movie imo.

I actually dislike the first Zombie Halloween ,but really like the 2nd.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

What a super jacked giant hobo serial killer obsessed with his ghost mom doesn't feel like Michael?

I wonder who that could remind someone of

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I don't really consider Lynch a horror movie director if I had to pick 3 it would be Craven , Carpenter, Romero , and if I had to add to that I would say Cronenberg more than Lynch.
I would probably say Hooper, Craven, Romero, and Carpenter.

But the tricky thing is that you have directors like Dante, Friedkin, and Kubrick who aren't horror guys, but made films that have definitely defined a lot about horror. Probably more-so than Craven if I'm being honest.

EDIT: Raimi is also someone with not a lot of output but definitely big impact.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 16, 2021

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

We did an entire tournament to answer questions like this and if you filter it down to NA you will recall that it's actually Lynch, Cronenberg, GDT, Craven, and Yuzna.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

he's dabbled for sure but I don't really consider Lynch a "horror director" at all

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

I assure you I did not

What era? The directors you named made movies from the 70s to the 2010s.

I also agree Lynch isn't a horror director. I'm sure he wouldn't call himself a horror director either.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hollismason posted:

I actually dislike the first Zombie Halloween ,but really like the 2nd.

i think the first movie also has its issues especially when it comes to how Michael is portrayed. But i think it was a decent retelling of the first story in Zombie's style. I thought halloween 2 was pretty bad but i've only seen the theatrical cut so maybe the director's cut makes it a better movie

Burkion posted:

What a super jacked giant hobo serial killer obsessed with his ghost mom doesn't feel like Michael?

I wonder who that could remind someone of

i wouldnt be surprised if zombie just really wanted to do a friday the 13th movie when directing halloween 2 lol.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Carpenter, Craven, and Hooper would probably be my safe 3. After that it probably gets more subjective and polarizing. Romero maybe. Lynch for some with a wider definition of horror. Cronenberg for those into his stuff. Raimi probably for some born at that time. Then you'd get a lot more specific ones.

The actors thing... Lee, Cushing, Price, and Pleasance are all great but its all a very specific time period and style. And hell its a bunch of British dudes when the the directors were "North American." And it leaves out women like Jamie Lee Curtis or Barbara Crampton or people known for more specific character roles like Englund or Brad Douriff. Or someone like Bruce Campbell or Jeffrey Combs. And hello Boris Karloff or Lon Chaney Jr?

And these kind of debates always kind of favor older people since they've had more time to build up fuller legacies. Like Patrick Wilson is in a bunch of horrors but they're all recent and mostly of one kind/creator. But like 10 or 20 years from now maybe he'll have a more diverse and legendary horror career. Or like someone like Samara Weaving or Ana Taylor Joy could stay in the genre and build a legacy. But right now you basically just have to favor the ones who's careers are already written.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like that mike is a badass killer because it gives us more fun kills

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hobo Beard Mike from Zombie's Halloween 2 is top tier

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think the first movie also has its issues especially when it comes to how Michael is portrayed. But i think it was a decent retelling of the first story in Zombie's style. I thought halloween 2 was pretty bad but i've only seen the theatrical cut so maybe the director's cut makes it a better movie

i wouldnt be surprised if zombie just really wanted to do a friday the 13th movie when directing halloween 2 lol.

Its worth tracking down the director's cut of Zombie's Halloween 2, its a good movie.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i want all the michael myers to meet and be friends

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
In an ogre's swamp.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

i love him but Cronenberg is Canadian right?

Craven, Carpenter, Romero and Hooper for me

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Canada isn't a real country so all Canadians are just Americans by proxy.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Drunkboxer posted:

I know a lot of people like it but I tried revisiting it in 2020 and I had a hard time with it. I don’t hate any of them really though. Well maybe I hate Resurrection.

I just watched 4 and 5 last month. I always liked 4 and it’s still pretty decent although yes the mask sucks.

5 is a really bad movie with a really really bad mask BUT! It’s also kinda hilarious because Michael is so weird. He drives a victim back to a gas station so she can grab smokes. He cries. There is a scene where he’s doing his *stalk behind trees* deal like in Kills (“He’s playing hide and seek with us!”) Except he’s blatantly pacing around between 2 or 3 trees not being sneaky at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

4 owns because Myers should be covered in third degree burns and incapable of walking after being in a coma for ten years but he just gets up and gets a lovely mask and the fire and coma are never mentioned again lmao

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 17, 2021