Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Salt Fish posted:

Mr beast, like notch before him, is an example of how there are no spiritual rewards at the top of capitalism.

what is up with notch these days, still going insane by the rotting candy wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grapplejack posted:

A reminder that the upcoming US service rifles has custom sized ammunition and have a really high powder load so they use a different bullet during training vs live fire. The gun also weighs 10 pounds and a full magazine weighs two pounds. You can almost immediately see a number of extremely significant issues that would arise from this, but I just slipped you a voucher to get a seat on the board at Raytheon so just go ahead and approve everything

Jesus Christ. The US Army decided that battle rifles are outdated back in the 60s, but I guess everyone involved in that decision is dead now, so we're trying it again.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Chamale posted:

Jesus Christ. The US Army decided that battle rifles are outdated back in the 60s, but I guess everyone involved in that decision is dead now, so we're trying it again.
you'd have loved the opinion pieces arguing for it, like the one suggesting the lesson to be learned from afghanistan was don't invade the graveyard of empires we'd have replaced the taliban with a flourishing democracy if our rifles had armor-piercing capability at 500 meters

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

A reminder that the upcoming US service rifles has custom sized ammunition and have a really high powder load so they use a different bullet during training vs live fire. The gun also weighs 10 pounds and a full magazine weighs two pounds. You can almost immediately see a number of extremely significant issues that would arise from this, but I just slipped you a voucher to get a seat on the board at Raytheon so just go ahead and approve everything

lol

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

What did he do? I just occasionally see his poo poo show up in my feed with titles like "I gave a streamer with 0 views $50,000". I guess giving random people lots of money is his thing? That doesn't really seem awful even if it's content that seems lame to watch

He did his own version of squidgames which became massively popular and made squidgames really popular with pre-teens.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

What did he do? I just occasionally see his poo poo show up in my feed with titles like "I gave a streamer with 0 views $50,000". I guess giving random people lots of money is his thing? That doesn't really seem awful even if it's content that seems lame to watch

I read an interview w the guy and it explains how he figured out the 4-5 components that make a video viral. I dont think i've ever watched a video of the guy but he doesnt seem to exploit others for views the way a lot of other "creators" do. Fairly harmless, in my opinion.

i always hoped one of those "its just a prank bro!!!" guys would get punchedout

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Marenghi posted:

He did his own version of squidgames which became massively popular and made squidgames really popular with pre-teens.
oh, right. that somewhat explains how several booths at the crafts fair i recently went to had their own versions of knit/plush dolls of the square/triangle/circle faced squid games janitors

the turnaround from "don't make the squid games" to "we're doing squid games on youtube for money!" was incredibly fast

stringless has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Oct 17, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The first argument was the extended engagement ranges in Afghanistan (the Taliban hardly ever engaged in firefights if they could avoid them), but that was solved by digging out old M14s from storage. Then, they argued that still wasn’t ideal, and they needed a lightweight round and rifle. To skirt staying with 556, they appealed to “stopping power” a phenomenon only Americans are obsessed with and dates back to their belief in the Philippine Wars that primitive people don’t feel pain or fear (look it up) and need a “manstopper” cartridge.

This being the MIC they took their sweet rear end time and it became clear that the war was going to end and the “battle need” had passed. That led to the most recent pivot “oh it’s actually for conventional war against Russia and China, to defeat body armour”.

I posted quotes from this incredible book on small arms procurement in the WW3 thread. It’s awesome it explains the grift from top to bottom. For example, did you know the SA80, the UK’s flawed and troublesome service rifle was the direct and clear result of Thatcher privatizing state arsenals, replacing public servants with contractors and breaking up the union workforce that made them?

Weapon of Choice: Small Arms and the Culture of Military Innovation

This book examines Western military technological innovation through the lens of developments in small arms during the twentieth century. These weapons have existed for centuries, appear to have matured only incrementally and might seem unlikely technologies for investigating the trajectory of military-technical change. Their relative simplicity, however, makes it easy to use them to map patterns of innovation within the military- industrial complex. Advanced technologies may have captured the military imagination, offering the possibility of clean and decisive outcomes, but it is the low technologies of the infantryman that can help us develop an appreciation for the dynamics of military-technical change. Tracing the path of innovation from battlefield to back office, and from industry to alliance partner, Ford develops insights into the way that small arms are socially constructed. He thereby exposes the mechanics of power across the military- industrial complex. This in turn reveals that shifting power relations between soldiers and scientists, bureaucrats and engineers, have allowed the private sector to exploit infantry status anxiety and shape soldier weapon preferences. Ford's analysis allows us to draw wider conclusions about how military innovation works and what social factors frame Western military purchasing policy, from small arms to more sophisticated and expensive weapons.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
you see, our guys playing xbox in afghanistan are surrounded, outmanned and outgunned in every direction and are only kept safe by air cover therefore the real problem is their rifles

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FFT posted:

oh, right. that somewhat explains how several booths at the crafts fair i recently went to had their own versions of knit/plush dolls of the square/triangle/circle faced squid games janitors

the turnaround from "don't make the squid games" to "we're doing squid games on youtube for money!" was incredibly fast
Torment Nexus sucked me off??

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

While we're recommending books I just finished reading Plutopia, a comparative history of the cities America and the USSR built around their respective plutonium factories and how they dealt with (or more often willfully ignored) their respective toxic waste disasters.

There's a lot relevant to this thread, like how the original contractors for Hanford spent a bunch of money whining publicly and campaigning about how the New Deal sucks and is commie rabble-rousing and how they should just give corporations free reign to do whatever they want and they'll bless everyone with trickle-down bullshit, while simultaneously taking one of the largest corporate handouts in history to that point (the cost-plus manhattan project contracts) and building a city with its own secret police, no private property and no freedom of the press.

It also gets into how they pioneered (or at least heavily embraced and developed) the intentional blurring of the lines between working and middle class years before levittowns did the same thing, and how it directly led to America's current complete lack of class consciousness so that's fun.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also for a while the USSR thought that vodka was a cure for radiation exposure so if you got dosed you were given a big ol' swig of vodka and sent home for the day

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Marenghi posted:

Nah, his video came out much later than countless Roblox levels and other online stuff that really made it popular among kids. I know, because my two nephews were playing Squid Game-inspired version of red light, green light way before Mr. Beast's video, and neither them or their parents even watched the show. Mr. Beast just had the highest production value, and that attracted media coverage.

Paladinus has issued a correction as of 14:21 on Oct 17, 2022

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how many 24 karat polo shirts has sig sauer handed out at this point, jesus christ. "oh they just keep being the best one"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Because last time someone gave the contract to HK they gave us this:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

i remember this gun from mass effect

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if your gun doesn't look like a porpoise gently caress are you even doing. malaysia was like we can benefit from this.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The XM8 is like the G36 in that it’s just about a perfected 5.56 rifle, but all of the technology and expense isn’t worth it, because the unperfected 5.56 rifle performs nearly as well.

The book I linked gets into it, but the rifled shoulder fired infantry weapon meets what it is required to do (engagements out to 400m, light, accurate) and has since the 1960’s. We figured it out.

When the smoothbore shoulder fired infantry weapon reached a similar state of development, given the technology available, the Land Pattern Musket, it was in service for 116 years which is completely and totally unacceptable to the MIC.

So, the author’s theory, which I find persuasive, is that the innovation being sought after here is a new way to find profit, not combat effectiveness. The XM8 was ahead of it’s time in technology, sure, but really it was early to expensive equipment that is a teeny tiny improvement over its predecessor in effectiveness but significantly more expensive being procured anyway.

FN also got burned by this on the 5.56 SCAR.

Various Russian arms manufactures got burned trying to improve on the AK-74M.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Which gun makes the best buttplug?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

tokin opposition posted:

Which gun makes the best buttplug?

FAL

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm like 99% sure I've read an account on these very forums about a military hospital having to surgically remove one of these from a soldier's rear end.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I've always thought the davy crockett would make a good buttplug as long as the fins aren't too sharp

Yes I have in fact thought about this before, shut up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Though my wife knows a heck of a lot more about guns than I do, I'll ask her. She's working now but I think this is important enough to interrupt.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

She's not really sure (though agrees the FAL would be acceptable), though when I told her about this:

McCracAttack posted:

I'm like 99% sure I've read an account on these very forums about a military hospital having to surgically remove one of these from a soldier's rear end.

she was like "oh I remember that episode of MASH" and now I'm gigglin'

Euronymous
Jul 19, 2022

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1581771471038582784

this works because south korea isn't capitalist while nyc is

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shame Boy posted:

I've always thought the davy crockett would make a good buttplug as long as the fins aren't too sharp

Yes I have in fact thought about this before, shut up.

Flared base is essential.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

the white hand posted:

if your gun doesn't look like a porpoise gently caress are you even doing. malaysia was like we can benefit from this.

The tube on the back of the gun goes to his dick (to suck him off)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

About rents:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/10/rent-going-up-one-companys-algorithm-could-be-why/

One of the algorithm’s developers told ProPublica that leasing agents had “too much empathy” compared to computer-generated pricing.

So now you know why rent is going up so much. They automated the rent pricing process to an algorithm, that realized you can extract more profit than people ever thought possible.

One of the greatest threats to a landlord’s profit, according to Roper and other executives, was other firms setting rents too low at nearby properties. “If you have idiots undervaluing, it costs the whole system,” Roper said.

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Oct 17, 2022

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

our future is so bleak the scavengers won’t even get cool late game gear to fight over.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

the white hand posted:

The gently caress's this thing

e: oh I thought that thing on his chest was part of it. nvm

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Ihmemies posted:

About rents:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/10/rent-going-up-one-companys-algorithm-could-be-why/

One of the algorithm’s developers told ProPublica that leasing agents had “too much empathy” compared to computer-generated pricing.

So now you know why rent is going up so much. They automated the rent pricing process to an algorithm, that realized you can extract more profit than people ever thought possible.

One of the greatest threats to a landlord’s profit, according to Roper and other executives, was other firms setting rents too low at nearby properties. “If you have idiots undervaluing, it costs the whole system,” Roper said.

Imagine being that smug because you think you've invented the concept of a land monopoly.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Milo and POTUS posted:

oh haha you weren't the only one

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ihmemies posted:

About rents:

the "algorithm" is literally just price fixing

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Spangly A posted:

Imagine being that smug because you think you've invented the concept of a land monopoly.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ArmZ posted:

the "algorithm" is literally just price fixing

Yes but they claim it is perfectly legal when it's done in such a manner.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh I just realized the tube is for gas masks

Well then, it allows them to suck themselves off I guess

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

The XM8 is like the G36 in that it’s just about a perfected 5.56 rifle, but all of the technology and expense isn’t worth it, because the unperfected 5.56 rifle performs nearly as well.

The book I linked gets into it, but the rifled shoulder fired infantry weapon meets what it is required to do (engagements out to 400m, light, accurate) and has since the 1960’s. We figured it out.

When the smoothbore shoulder fired infantry weapon reached a similar state of development, given the technology available, the Land Pattern Musket, it was in service for 116 years which is completely and totally unacceptable to the MIC.

So, the author’s theory, which I find persuasive, is that the innovation being sought after here is a new way to find profit, not combat effectiveness. The XM8 was ahead of it’s time in technology, sure, but really it was early to expensive equipment that is a teeny tiny improvement over its predecessor in effectiveness but significantly more expensive being procured anyway.

FN also got burned by this on the 5.56 SCAR.

Various Russian arms manufactures got burned trying to improve on the AK-74M.

Closest we have to that is the B-52. Last airframe was built during Vietnam, it'll be in service until like the 2040s.

Ihmemies posted:

About rents:

When I am General Secretary of Greater California, they will receive food in their solitary cells by algorithm. Coded by me. I haven't coded since Java in college 10 years ago, but code is law.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Panfilo posted:

Eating 5lbs of sugar free gummy bears was the best one.

puking entire hot dogs intact had me howling

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

this looks loving sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Euronymous posted:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1581771471038582784

this works because south korea isn't capitalist while nyc is

Yeah, but does the subway double as a homeless shelter like it does in America? No? didn't think so.

That's a joke. The subway is also our asylum.