Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well they are the same guy so

I guess. Just weird that the dude in the show was some kind of bad rear end taking out 100 storm troopers and Boba Fett in the movies was a bumbling failson that was taken out by a blind man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
People saying that good writing and character development are more important when it comes to interesting characters than having them be anything other than a white dude are missing the point. Like yes, obviously, just making the protag a woman or an alien or whatever doesn't automatically make them well rounded and interesting. However it does offer diversity of representation, which apart from being intrinsically valuable to swathes of the audience also goes some way to compensating for decades of whitewashed media. And choosing to create a character that isn't a generic white dude suggests that the writers and creators have actually had to put a bit more than the bare minimum of effort in to conceptualising their character and the backstory within the world, rather than opting for the 'default'.

gently caress I mean even the fact that there is a 'default' in the universe of Star Wars is depressing. There are literally infinite possibilities to play as a cool alien, or at the least having a protag that doesn't embody 'generic male power fantasy 101' for the umpteenth time would be fun. Why is this even controversial? Looking at our own planet white people are well in the minority, and even in the countries producing and consuming this kind of media the populations are a whole lot more ethnically diverse than you would assume based on their media from the last century. Wanting media to better represent these multitudes of existences shouldn't be revolutionary.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UmOk posted:

I guess. Just weird that the dude in the show was some kind of bad rear end taking out 100 storm troopers and Boba Fett in the movies was a bumbling failson that was taken out by a blind man.

This Fett makes much more sense than the joke character from ROTJ, though. People always point out as how he's a no-character but all the negative space that we have points out to a character like this. He's constantly asking Vader questions about his deal and Vader is always reassuring him that he will not be screwed over, in contrast with Vader changing deals with Lando for the worse. His character introduction is "no disintegrations", Vader puts his weapon down when he's ready to shoot in the carbonite chamber. And ultimately he's sort of the only real threat that succeeded against the main characters. Vader never managed to capture the Millennium Falcon, hence Boba's role, at the end of TESB Boba takes a main character away, fulfilling his own personal quest as a Bounty Hunter and forcing the characters to take a detour from the Empire.

I don't know, I always felt like he was a well executed character in TESB, where he as an antagonist is more like those force of nature style of villains than a fully developed character with a lot of dialogue. Boba knows how to follow Solo because he already figured the stunt Solo pulled off back when they're all having the legion of doom meeting. He works as a good foil to the characters outsmarting everyone for two movies.

What I'm saying is, at least in my brain seeing this Robert Rodriguez scowling character mauling people left and right with a cane is a much better follow-up to the dude who got told "no disintegrations" than ROTJ.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 6, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Can a lore nerd explain to me why the blue butterflies are indicative of an Anakin Skywalker point of contact because if that’s the case I feel like that really strengthens the fan theory that baby Yoda and Anakin Skywalker are the exact same age and linked through the force.

He needs the ancestor moths so he can read an ElderJedi Scroll.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did Boba steal a pistol from the Crest's weapon locker? Should maybe check a scene with it open, but it's not part of the armour and presumably he didn't have it if he needed scavenged Tusken weapons. Neat they brought back Jango's pistola tricks though.

To the matter of who might detect Grogu, Ezra doesn't make sense, does he? If he's back Ahsoka should know and direct Mando to him, and if not surely she could have used the stone herself to contact him. Plus he's more junior than Ahsoka.

I think Luke is the only existing character I can see that works narratively, with Din presented with the ideal end to his mission to bring Grogu to his own kind, the new Jedi Luke is training (possibly an appearance by a 3-4 year old Ben) and having to decide if he should hand him off or keep him as a foundling.

As of the end of Rebels, Ezra got lost in Hyperspace with Thrawn right? My bet is Grogu's force beacon lets him orient and find his way back.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Finally my 20 years of Photoshop finally pay off

I'd be fine with it if they replaced Carano with Sarah Chalke, with zero explanation on the show

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Admiral Bosch posted:

that's obviously exactly what they're doing

There's still a chance they might not, and make it about giving Gideon force powers.

Elentor posted:

What I'm saying is, at least in my brain seeing this Robert Rodriguez scowling character mauling people left and right with a cane is a much better follow-up to the dude who got told "no disintegrations" than ROTJ.

Okay but stay with me here, what if he just started disintegrating people to help Din?

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 6, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Elentor posted:

This Fett makes much more sense than the joke character from ROTJ, though. People always point out as how he's a no-character but all the negative space that we have points out to a character like this. He's constantly asking Vader questions about his deal and Vader is always reassuring him that he will not be screwed over, in contrast with Vader changing deals with Lando for the worse. His character introduction is "no disintegrations", Vader puts his weapon down when he's ready to shoot in the carbonite chamber. And ultimately he's sort of the only real threat that succeeded against the main characters. Vader never managed to capture the Millennium Falcon, hence Boba's role, at the end of TESB Boba takes a main character away, fulfilling his own personal quest as a Bounty Hunter and forcing the characters to take a detour from the Empire.

I don't know, I always felt like he was a well executed character in TESB, where he as an antagonist is more like those force of nature style of villains than a fully developed character with a lot of dialogue. Boba knows how to follow Solo because he already figured the stunt Solo pulled off back when they're all having the legion of doom meeting. He works as a good foil to the characters outsmarting everyone for two movies.

There's a strong element of push back from the reaction to the character at original release, where fans built him up to be a mini-hero whereas Lucas just saw him as 'some guy' who is the vehicle to getting Han into Jabba's custody (setting up the need to rescue him from there).

e: he's taken out by a blind guy with a stick, but that's also in the context of a fight sequence in which he's also presented as the only character to present any threat to Luke.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Fun thought exercise. How could this show (realistically) jump the shark?

Din Djarin discovers that he himself is also Force-sensitive.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Just do it Magnum PI style have Cara Dune be the one who gets killed off in the final episodes and then in the next season they can have a new actress in the same outfit be like "I'm an ex rebel shock trooper named Lara Dune/(Lorna Doone for snack food pun purposes and Star Warsy ness if they want to make the character an alien) I heard you had information about my sister's death and boom problem solved.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Just do it Magnum PI style have Cara Dune be the one who gets killed off in the final episodes and then in the next season they can have a new actress in the same outfit be like "I'm an ex rebel shock trooper named Lara Dune/(Lorna Doone for snack food pun purposes and Star Warsy ness if they want to make the character an alien) I heard you had information about my sister's death and boom problem solved.

:hmmyes: also for some reason Din’s helmet now has a Magnum P.I. mustache

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
An episode where they're on a planet that has a poisonous atmosphere and Cara refuses to wear a mask and dies

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

There's a strong element of push back from the reaction to the character at original release, where fans built him up to be a mini-hero whereas Lucas just saw him as 'some guy' who is the vehicle to getting Han into Jabba's custody (setting up the need to rescue him from there).

"I made a cool character by mistake, time to ruin it" does sound peak Lucas.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ApeHawk posted:

An episode where they're on a planet that has a poisonous atmosphere and Cara refuses to wear a mask and dies

The people on her planet elect a new marshal and she refuses to leave the office, leading them to hire Mando to take her out

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

People saying that good writing and character development are more important when it comes to interesting characters than having them be anything other than a white dude are missing the point. Like yes, obviously, just making the protag a woman or an alien or whatever doesn't automatically make them well rounded and interesting. However it does offer diversity of representation, which apart from being intrinsically valuable to swathes of the audience also goes some way to compensating for decades of whitewashed media. And choosing to create a character that isn't a generic white dude suggests that the writers and creators have actually had to put a bit more than the bare minimum of effort in to conceptualising their character and the backstory within the world, rather than opting for the 'default'.

gently caress I mean even the fact that there is a 'default' in the universe of Star Wars is depressing. There are literally infinite possibilities to play as a cool alien, or at the least having a protag that doesn't embody 'generic male power fantasy 101' for the umpteenth time would be fun. Why is this even controversial? Looking at our own planet white people are well in the minority, and even in the countries producing and consuming this kind of media the populations are a whole lot more ethnically diverse than you would assume based on their media from the last century. Wanting media to better represent these multitudes of existences shouldn't be revolutionary.

i don't understand how that's missing the point

rey being female doesn't make her any more interesting, kylo ren being a white dude doesn't stop him from being maybe the only decent character in the sequels

just make interesting characters and stories

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

am0kgonzo posted:

Yes, and have them be from an appropriately diverse range of backgrounds and species and whatever

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yes obviously just make good characters. That’s very clearly the ideal. But we don’t always get good characters, sometimes we just get blank slates for fans to imprint themselves onto like baby ducks.

You’re kind of talking past what both of us are saying though, so let’s just chill on the topic for now.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes, and have them be from an appropriately diverse range of backgrounds and species and whatever

i have no problem with that

no hutts and kowakian monkey-lizards though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still funny given we're talking about a show where the protagonist's actual face might as well be an Easter Egg and the other main character is a tiny alien muppet.

Am reminded how shows can get around representation concerns with obviously nonhuman protagonists. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arguably might be so popular partly for this reason; the turtles aren't necessarily any coded race or ethnicity besides mutant ninjas who live in New York; they're given Italian names by a Japanese man turned rat who raises them as his sons, and their friends and enemies are a mix of humans, aliens, mutants, robots, magical beings and weirder things.

Hell, if we're getting crazy, could be argued they're coded as minorities; they live on the margins of society, have a close-knit bond with one another and only rarely let outsiders into their circle, where those that do become honorary clan members; are maintaining a minority culture and incorporating its teachings and practices into modern society and with new technology, and generally distrust the government taking an interest in them for good reason. There's a lot for nearly anyone who feels marginalised or different to identify with.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas included BF in the holiday special. He was more than just some guy

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

euphronius posted:

Lucas included BF in the holiday special. He was more than just some guy

I thought Lucas had zero involvement in the HS.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

am0kgonzo posted:

rey being female doesn't make her any more interesting, kylo ren being a white dude doesn't stop him from being maybe the only decent character in the sequels

Representation exists for the sake of real world problems. Yes, you can have a story where every character is a white straight guy and have the story and the characters be great, but that's not doing anything for marginalized groups. "just make interesting characters and stories" is severely missing the point by a lot.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot for nearly anyone who feels marginalised or different to identify with.

It doesn't work this way. Even if you could argue that the characters can provide some form of escapism of catharsis, that doesn't mean that abstractly coded fantasy characters who are mutant turtles... is doing anything to normalize marginalized groups. I mean, come on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Thom12255 posted:

I thought Lucas had zero involvement in the HS.

Lucas didn’t work on the filming but he did write the animated segment with Boba. (He was also the genius who insisted the HS had to be Wookiee focused)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skasion posted:

Lucas didn’t work on the filming but he did write the animated segment with Boba. (He was also the genius who insisted the HS had to be Wookiee focused)

I’m sorry, but that requirement led to something that has been a never ending source of hilarity for decades since and decades to come...so in short good work George.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

put laura dern in star wars again

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I was in the Disney store working out exactly which BB8 I really didn't need a few years ago, and I watched a family come in and the little black boy was absolutely giddy with glee at getting Finn because as he loudly announced to everyone "I AM FINN" before pinwheeling into a pile of Beauty and the Beast merch.

IMHO it's really important as a child to have characters in popular culture that resonate with them in a tangible way whilst they run around playing make believe.

Obviously this story will have had a bitter ending when he eventually saw RoS and realised exactly how much they screwed up that character arc but we can't have everything.

NOT aimed at anyone here, but IRL I've observed an incredible overlap between the people that say "does it really matter?" in regard to representation of all kinds and them being a white dude.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elentor posted:

Representation exists for the sake of real world problems. Yes, you can have a story where every character is a white straight guy and have the story and the characters be great, but that's not doing anything for marginalized groups. "just make interesting characters and stories" is severely missing the point by a lot.

It doesn't work this way. Even if you could argue that the characters can provide some form of escapism of catharsis, that doesn't mean that abstractly coded fantasy characters who are mutant turtles... is doing anything to normalize marginalized groups. I mean, come on.

I'm well aware, and I'm not arguing that, it just came to mind.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Din Djarin discovers that he himself is also Force-sensitive.

Yep, that'll absolutely do it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The people on her planet elect a new marshal and she refuses to leave the office, leading them to hire Mando to take her out

That reminds me of the fan idea people would have for a Boba Fett movie where to keep Fett mysterious/not speaking often badass have the main character be someone who hires Boba Fett for whatever and like they sort of become friends but then at the end surprise the person who hired Fett or/and the person's family or is an actual bounty Fett was pursuing and he was just using the main character to get close enough to kill/apprehend them.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd be fine with it if they replaced Carano with Sarah Chalke, with zero explanation on the show

Same :swoon:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jedit posted:

If only you'd spent as long studying repetition. Begun, these clone words have.

Do not internet while sleep deprived, as wonders done for your grammar it does not

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

am0kgonzo posted:

Ok, but also don't make them all white guys when you clearly have the option to do otherwise. Why couldn't Fallen Order's main character have been Asian-coded? Is there any reason?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Okay, so why are the Mandalorians the only ones who use Beskar? If it's so good at preventing damage from blasters and lightsabers why weren't Droidekas or whatever made from the stuff?

Edit: Also, if we're talking diverse casting, why not bring Kyle Katarn back, but as a nonwhite actor, since he's just part of Legends (for now). That's a good example of a cool character that could be reimagined through a new lens. They do it with comic book characters all the time, right?

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 6, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm 100% down for Kyle Katarn reimagined.

Glass of Milk posted:

Okay, so why are the Mandalorians the only ones who use Beskar? If it's so good at preventing damage from blasters and lightsabers why weren't Droidekas or whatever made from the stuff?

I'm guessing they're the only ones who know the proper/most effective smelting process for Beskar?

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

teagone posted:

Ok, but also don't make them all white guys when you clearly have the option to do otherwise. Why couldn't Fallen Order's main character have been Asian-coded? Is there any reason?

no, all I'm saying is that the reason that cal was uninteresting isn't because he's white, if they made him asian or black or whatever he'd be just as boring if they didn't change anything else about him

the biggest change would be people on the internet getting angry about it and clickbait articles

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

teagone posted:

I’m guessing they're the only ones who know the proper/most effective smelting process for Beskar?

Also likely that Beskar is just super rare

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
And the Mandalorian's claim it as their own like it's a religious relic(which is an apt comparison I feel)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

:hmmyes: also for some reason Din’s helmet now has a Magnum P.I. mustache

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

teagone posted:

https://youtu.be/5Hez4laAkGw

This, but Asian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lmao. I've never seen this.