Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
HSBC threatens to leave every time someone so much as looks at them sideways. They can get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Gonzo McFee posted:

HSBC threatens to leave every time someone so much as looks at them sideways. They can get hosed.
Nice to see them doing it to undermine the Tories, though.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Got to the beds claim (that 1,000 fewer beds are available now than in 2012), looked up the England figures and found that England has 6,000 fewer beds available now compared to 2012. Anyway, we all know that politics isn't about facts so I'll go back to not posting again
Those figures imply that the Scottish NHS has lost more capacity than NHS England on a per capita basis.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=15885&LangID=E

So - is this a serious thing or will we never hear anything of it?

United Nations urges UK to reign in Nazi - like articles in British Tabloids by specifically citing She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

HSBC threatens to leave the UK pretty much every year. It's a toff tradition, like the proms.

2010, 2011, 2012

And that's just from lazily googling "HSBC threatens to leave", I'm pretty sure you could refine the search and get a hit for every year since Magna Carta.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Got to the beds claim (that 1,000 fewer beds are available now than in 2012), looked up the England figures and found that England has 6,000 fewer beds available now compared to 2012. Anyway, we all know that politics isn't about facts so I'll go back to not posting again
Scotland has a population of ~5 million, England has a population of ~50 million.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sorry to draw you back in (possibly), but why did you stop posting? I always enjoyed your posts.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
E: the curse of the double post

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Fees have been in place since the late 90s, so the cohort that pays them goes back to the early 80s, not 94. Anyone who "avoids" fees by paying them off up front with a lump sum will pay far more in real/present value terms than most people. The Government can contract any company to collect taxes if it so desires, just as easily as it can sell off the SLC's loanbooks. The income threshold is indexed to wage growth, which historically matches or exceeds inflation.

More to the point, if you want a more generous state with better funded social services, we are all going to have to start paying a bit more tax. We pay much lower taxes than we used to before Maggie came along, and substantially lower rates than the citizens of most other European countries. That necessarily reduces the funding available for services such as the NHS, welfare, social care, and schools. It seems insane for someone supposedly on the left to oppose one of the few measures taken in recent years to directly address this problem.

Of course the traditional university education scheme is pretty junk to begin with and will likely change radically over the next 30-40 years as people realize spending 3-4 productive years pissing around is a waste of everyone's time and money.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Igiari posted:

Sorry to draw you back in (possibly), but why did you stop posting? I always enjoyed your posts.

He's too busy rowing and being posh.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hey now I row and I am not po... wait I row, grew up in Surrey... gently caress!

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Soulless multinational bureaucrats meddling in English affairs :argh:

quote:

UN human rights chief denounces Sun over Katie Hopkins 'cockroach' column

The UN’s human rights chief has attacked the Sun newspaper for publishing an article by columnist Katie Hopkins, branding her use of the word “cockroaches” to describe migrants as reminiscent of anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda.

In a scathing and extraordinary intervention, the UN high commissioner for human rights, Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, points out that the word “cockroaches” was used by both the Nazis and those behind the genocide in Rwanda, and urges the UK government, media and regulators to respect national and international laws on curbing incitement to hatred.

“The Nazi media described people their masters wanted to eliminate as rats and cockroaches,” said Zeid.

“This type of language is clearly inflammatory and unacceptable, especially in a national newspaper. The Sun’s editors took an editorial decision to publish this article, and – if it is found in breach of the law – should be held responsible along with the author.”

But such language, he added, was typical of “decades of sustained and unrestrained anti-foreigner abuse, misinformation and distortion” when it came to the reporting of migrant and refugee issues in the British media.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-d...ts-commissioner

And a new poll:

quote:

Latest Populus VI:
Lab 35 (+1),
Con 32 (-),
LD 8 (-1),
UKIP 14 (-1),
Greens 5 (+1),
Others 6 (-).

Tables here: http://popu.lu/sVI240415

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Fees have been in place since the late 90s, so the cohort that pays them goes back to the early 80s, not 94. Anyone who "avoids" fees by paying them off up front with a lump sum will pay far more in real/present value terms than most people. The Government can contract any company to collect taxes if it so desires, just as easily as it can sell off the SLC's loanbooks. The income threshold is indexed to wage growth, which historically matches or exceeds inflation.

More to the point, if you want a more generous state with better funded social services, we are all going to have to start paying a bit more tax. We pay much lower taxes than we used to before Maggie came along, and substantially lower rates than the citizens of most other European countries. That necessarily reduces the funding available for services such as the NHS, welfare, social care, and schools. It seems insane for someone supposedly on the left to oppose one of the few measures taken in recent years to directly address this problem.

Oh come on, I was obviously talking about the people who suffer £9000 per year fees rather than £3000 per year fees. And I don't give a poo poo if the rich pay more in absolute terms on average - the entire point of a tax system taking a percentage of income rather than a flat amount of money is that everyone should put a similar amount of utility into the system, not a similar amount of money. And if you want to sell the idea of fees as a tax, this is a tax where the very rich pay a negligible proportion of their income once while most people pay an extra 10% on everything over £20,000 until they're 50. That's just perverse. The fact that some income ranges pay more than the rich even in absolute terms due to interest is just the cherry on the poo poo sundae.

And selling off the student loan book isn't really equivalent to contracting out tax collection, since that would still imply some level of accountability. It's more like selling off the right to collect taxes altogether, which would be completely politically infeasible.

For what it's worth I came in under the wire with the old fees, and was lucky enough to have parents able to pay them. I'm all in favour of paying more tax myself in exchange for not dismantling the welfare state, even as someone who doesn't reach the 40% bracket. I'd even be in favour of a universally applied graduate tax. But taxing people based on the year they were born in is just hosed up.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Katie Hopkins is just a troll who has mistaken attention for love.

I wish everyone would just flat out ignore her. Don't even condemn or refute the racist/sexist/classist twaddle she spouts, just 100% refuse to even acknowledge it. She'd soon go away.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Spalec posted:

I wish everyone would just flat out ignore her. Don't even condemn or refute the racist/sexist/classist twaddle she spouts, just 100% refuse to even acknowledge it. She'd soon go away.

It's all very well saying just ignore her when she's being a Twitter troll, the issue here is that the editors of the sun, a very popular national newspaper, are willing to publish such vile nonsense.

Saying "just ignore her" doesn't work because the only people who will do so are in no danger of being swayed or influenced by her hate speech anyway.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

pumpinglemma posted:

I'd even be in favour of a universally applied graduate tax. But taxing people based on the year they were born in is just hosed up.

Except it's a tax on earnings not a tax on what year somebody was born.

Would it be fairer to suddenly apply a graduate tax to anybody who graduated from a university retrospectively? Of course not - any such tax would apply to people who haven't even started university yet. And then your complaint, such as it is, would still stand.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

XMNN posted:

If you lived in Thanet would you vote Tory to keep Farage out? I hate them as much as the next person, but one extra Tory MP is going to be a lot less damaging than Farage getting into parliament.

You vote for Al Murray.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

pumpinglemma posted:

taxing people based on the year they were born in is just hosed up.

no wait, i think you're onto something!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
labour are in the lead in clegg's constituency and the snp are in the lead in the LD deputy leader's seat

so who are cameron and miliband actually going to be negotiating with

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

You vote for Al Murray.
So the choice is between a posh gently caress who patronises the working class... or Nigel Farage? :rimshot:

e:can't stop loving around with tenses anything.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 24, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

coffeetable posted:

labour are in the lead in clegg's constituency and the snp are in the lead in the LD deputy leader's seat

so who are cameron and miliband actually going to be negotiating with

The SNP/UKIP, obviously. Do the lib dems even have any seats any more?

Actually, that's a point, if the lib dems lose all their seats and UKIP don't win any more, can the conservatives realistically win? Because the SNP can't collab with them, so even if they wanted to they couldn't form a coalition government, thus making a lab/whoever coalition the only possibly government.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Even in a worst case scenario the Lib Dems are still going to have the fourth largest block of seats. Anyone looking to form a government is going to need to be willing to speak to them.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Spalec posted:

She's way beyond the line though, far beyond what we decry as 'fascist' in Farage and UKIP.

That article and the references to cockroaches were a mere whisker away from the propaganda equating Jews with rats.

It's literal hate speech, as plain as day, and must be confronted.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 24, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The SNP/UKIP, obviously. Do the lib dems even have any seats any more?
They will still take Shetland, Orkney, and areas of Cornwall. They will always take those.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If Katie Hopkins went away they'd just find another sociopath to be the face of their more genocidal views to the public.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Prince John posted:

She's way beyond the line though, far beyond what we decry as 'fascist' in Farage and UKIP.

That article and the references to cockroaches were a mere whisker away from the propaganda equating Jews with rats.

It's literal hate speech, as plain as day, and must be confronted.

the Hutus called Tutsis cockroaches in Rwanda in the run up to their genocide

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

They will still take Shetland, Orkney, and areas of Cornwall. They will always take those.
Yeah, Orkney & Shetland has to be the safest Liberal seat going at this point.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Guavanaut posted:

That's what we thought about Charles Kennedy, and he's losing to the SNP.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Coohoolin posted:

Was he seen as an effective constituency MP?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Prince John posted:

Was he seen as an effective constituency MP?

I have no idea, just that common knowledge seemed to be "could take a dump on the high street and win".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Everyone loves Charles Kennedy. But really if he wanted to avoid getting run out he should have resigned from the Lib Dems and ran as an independent.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

The Lib-Dem leadership being wiped out is pretty much the final nail for any future coalitions. No one's going to do a pact if it doubles as a suicide note.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
The LibDems have their greatest concentration of supporters in SW London now, from Twickenham to Carshalton. Their support has massively eroded in every other region, with only stray constituencies holding out.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

JoylessJester posted:

The Lib-Dem leadership being wiped out is pretty much the final nail for any future coalitions. No one's going to do a pact if it doubles as a suicide note.
The Lib Dems are suffering because of their own spineless ineptitude rather than anything inherent to coalition government.

e: also Farage is apparently sick of the negative campaigns that other parties are running and wants to sell UKIP's upbeat positive message. Should be interesting.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 24, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JoylessJester posted:

In general, or specifically with opposed parties?

Because I don't think the backlash would have been as great if it had been with Labour, especially Labour at the time. That the lib dems have essentially propped up the tory government of the last 5 years without any question, is the objection, I think.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
If the Lib Dems lose Orkney & Shetland then I've got to think they're done for as a party. I think it's hard to understand for people who haven't been up there what it's like; the Shetland isles in particular. They're Lib Dem through and through.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Exciting news!

quote:

Michael Heseltine, the former Conservative deputy prime minister who championed the regeneration of Britain’s inner cities in the 1980s, is being lined up by the shadow business secretary, Chuka Umunna, to advise Labour in government.

“There is no denying it, a lot of people in the Labour movement are quite inspired by what he’s done in rejuvenating cities and regions,” Umunna says of Heseltine in an interview with the Guardian. “Just because he is a Tory should not stand in the way of us working with him in the future and I very much hope to do that.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/24/labour-to-call-on-michael-heseltine-if-it-wins-election

Also:

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 24, 2015

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Pissflaps posted:

Except it's a tax on earnings not a tax on what year somebody was born.

Would it be fairer to suddenly apply a graduate tax to anybody who graduated from a university retrospectively? Of course not - any such tax would apply to people who haven't even started university yet. And then your complaint, such as it is, would still stand.
It's a tax on earnings which is almost exclusively levied on those born after a certain year. If you want to tax people for benefiting from a university education then fine, but you should be taxing everyone who's benefited - not just the young people. (To avoid confusion, a graduate tax isn't my preferred solution, I just think it would be better than the status quo.)

I have no idea what you mean when you say a universal graduate tax would hit people who haven't started university - that sounds like a contradiction in terms...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Soylent Green posted:

If the Lib Dems lose Orkney & Shetland then I've got to think they're done for as a party. I think it's hard to understand for people who haven't been up there what it's like; the Shetland isles in particular. They're Lib Dem through and through.

One of the projections is suggesting this, but its quite frankly a ridiculous proposition: its been one of the safest Liberal seats pretty much every election since 1950 and has survived lower points in the history of the Liberal Party than this. Also you would expect the islands to not have a huge SNP base, but the referendum results may suggest that has been exaggerated.

Although you probably should expect Lib Dem performance to be a little odd: it usually is. They'll probably lose a bunch of seats in the Highlands and the South West which they've held for donkeys years, yet somehow hold on to seats like Solihull which they gained in 2005 shocking everyone since the thing was among the safest Tory seats in the country...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

pumpinglemma posted:

I have no idea what you mean when you say a universal graduate tax would hit people who haven't started university - that sounds like a contradiction in terms...

It means that the idea of applying a graduate tax on anybody who has graduated from university in the past is absurd and would only apply to future graduates.

The current regime not a tax on 'the year you are born' it's on when you went to university and under what circumstances.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coohoolin posted:

Yes, but who is going to play the SNP role in the northern isles? Because it's not going to be the SNP. The last time a party other than the Liberals polled more than 21% was 1992. When the Conservatives got 22%. Since the war a party other than the Liberals got over 30% in 1945 (the last time a non-Liberal won), 1950 & 1970. Last time the Nats polled over 15% was 1983 and that took one of their big hitters standing there, Winnie Ewing. In the current climate it's the safest seat in Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

freebooter posted:

Yeah, Australia had a minority government from 2010-2013 with Labour propped up by independents and the Greens, and the Tory opposition leader (now PM and noted torture apologist Tony Abbott) was constantly attacking its legitimacy and demanding an early election. It was a constant, excruciatingly irritating background noise.

Australia is full of cicadas, they should be used to that

• Locked thread