Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I hate the Destroy ending because the idea that the way to refute a bunch of robots who say people and robots can never cooperate is to destroy all robots is incredibly dumb. If high Readiness just kept the Geth and EDI alive it would have been fine.

Basically none of the three outcomes really make sense. Control is straight the gently caress up what Illusive Man is arguing for and what you spend the entire game saying is stupid, Destroy requires a relatively random sacrifice, and Synthesis is nonsense space magic that as near as I can tell nobody knows what the gently caress it actually means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ethiser posted:

I hate the Destroy ending because the idea that the way to refute a bunch of robots who say people and robots can never cooperate is to destroy all robots is incredibly dumb. If high Readiness just kept the Geth and EDI alive it would have been fine.

This. To me, the Destroy ending is Shepard agreeing with the AI.

Pick Control, dethrone the Reapers' idiot god, assume Shepard used Reaper tech to clone herself a new body, happy ending for everyone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the Renegade options in ME2 a lot more than the ME1 ones; they tend to be more along the lines of "doing good/cool stuff violently" or "being an rear end in a top hat to a bad person" rather than just pointlessly being a bad/mean person.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think ME 2 should have focused on forming the military alliance of all the species. Have paragon be willing cooperation, and renegade being a forced vassalage quest. Cerberus can still be there as the antagonist to such an alliance.

End with the reapers invading cliffhanger and boom

Yeah, piggy backing on this a little bit you can preserve a ton of the me2 stuff but further tie it in to the main plot so that you don't have all these bizarrely disconnected vignettes in the middle third of a trilogy. Like you resolving stuff peacefully with Tali and the geth in 2 coincides with reconciling her people with the geth so it resonates thematically. 3 would essentially be an entire game of these payoffs going off, ideally resulting in the chance at a particularly unique ending depending on how you played it all the way through. You could see the scope almost got there regardless and some stuff does pay off really well in 3 for people that had certain good (or bad) outcomes to import.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ytlaya posted:

I like the Renegade options in ME2 a lot more than the ME1 ones; they tend to be more along the lines of "doing good/cool stuff violently" or "being an rear end in a top hat to a bad person" rather than just pointlessly being a bad/mean person.

"You're working too hard."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

A lot of this is probably just because ME2's story is much more conducive to renegade choices making sense than ME1. Like there are a few cases in ME1 where you could argue that Shepard needs to take some extreme action but for the most part the Paragon solution is just the obviously correct one. ME2 is much better tailored to presenting both options as viable because it's a lot more "wild west" as far as the places you are going.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Basically none of the three outcomes really make sense. Control is straight the gently caress up what Illusive Man is arguing for and what you spend the entire game saying is stupid, Destroy requires a relatively random sacrifice, and Synthesis is nonsense space magic that as near as I can tell nobody knows what the gently caress it actually means.

This is the appeal of the fourth ending where you just watch the world burn and let future races get it right the next time around. The next cycle won't have the Asari around to screw everything up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I figured out an easy way to get the AI hacking trophy.

Find a spot where you have some geth and can save before taking them on. Save. Run in, hack, load the save and repeat. Took 10 mins. And now I get to do:

Feros
Noveria
The few missions those two open up
Bring the sky down
virmire
citadel
ilos

So pretty much all story all the time now. Everything else is done. And a pretty easy plat from here on out.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I did forget how contrived the crew getting kidnapped in 2 was, where Shepard and co just leave on a shuttle.

Joker even calls out Shepard and asks where he was after.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I like synthesis as my canon ending. Since the first game there are allusions to an overarching theme of organics and synthetics locked in an ever repeating cycle of controlling or destroying one another. The rogue AI hidden side quest on the Citadel explicitly says as much, and both Saren and Illusive Man go on about it, even if only indirectly.

Synthesis, which I interpret as basically being the Singularity that transhumanism talks about, is the only one of the three options that definitively breaks that cycle, which is the cycle everybody up to and including the Reapers has been beholden to up to the end of 3, and creates a new framework for life to evolve in.

Control just puts Shepard into the same position as the Reapers, and who's to say they won't someday fall into the same cycle as them one day? Destroy just resets the clock and positions the humans to, at best, make the same mistakes as Leviathan one day and create a new cycle. Synthesis changes the rules of the game entirely.

That's how I see it anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I like that just opens up the question as to why the whole squad doesn't go all the time.

Like hey, it would probably be a lot faster and safer to explore that collector base with more than three people!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Willatron posted:

I like synthesis as my canon ending. Since the first game there are allusions to an overarching theme of organics and synthetics locked in an ever repeating cycle of controlling or destroying one another. The rogue AI hidden side quest on the Citadel explicitly says as much, and both Saren and Illusive Man go on about it, even if only indirectly.

Synthesis, which I interpret as basically being the Singularity that transhumanism talks about, is the only one of the three options that definitively breaks that cycle, which is the cycle everybody up to and including the Reapers has been beholden to up to the end of 3, and creates a new framework for life to evolve in.

Control just puts Shepard into the same position as the Reapers, and who's to say they won't someday fall into the same cycle as them one day? Destroy just resets the clock and positions the humans to, at best, make the same mistakes as Leviathan one day and create a new cycle. Synthesis changes the rules of the game entirely.

Pretty sure that the only way Shepard lives is Destroy, though. Also, gently caress the reapers.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ytlaya posted:

Kaidan is a pretty good/realistic video game romance, at least in ME1. He (and Shepard if you decide to do the romance) very quickly express their interest in each other and there isn't any "solving peoples' problems -> romance" stuff like you usually tend to see in video game romances.

100% this.

It was frankly loving weird to me to see a Bioware romance that actually flowed normally and was plausible. Starts with casual talk, then some pretty crossed signals and awkward, "ha-ha yeah, so uh, I just said that... Don't read too much into it... Unless you're also into it? No pressure." And even if you turn him down in the shittiest ways possible he's like, a normal loving adult about it instead of throwing a fit. He also straight up stops you if you come at him strong and is like, "whoa, wow, okay... I need some time to process this, if that's alright with you." Because there's the whole lens of the chain of command side of things.

All in all really surprised by it, speaking as a hetero cis male. Refreshing to just see normal loving people figure out their relationship while on a really high stress job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willatron posted:

The game directly goes against that though. Like hell, the rogue Luna AI turns out to be EDI and your cast goes directly from fighting her to one of them trying to have sex with her. Likewise the game is pretty blunt about the idea that variation and difference is a good thing as one of the Reaper's many flaws is that they are effectively taking a civilization and converting it down to an indistinguishable husk. There is a theme of conflict between AI and organic beings but almost universally the conflict ends up being "There is a path if you can learn to recognize synthetic beings as living entities" and considering Tali "I'm pretty down for some war crimes" Vas Normandy comes around to thinking the Geth have souls it's pretty blunt that it isn't a requirement to suddenly fuse with one for that to happen.

Destroy, at least in the Extended edition, isn't human-centric. It basically shows all the species of the galaxy overcoming their poo poo and trying to be better. There's always a possibility for future conflict but that is true of every ending including Synthesis as we explicitly saw that a single math error lead to wildly different viewpoints between purely robotic beings and they don't have weird flesh bits attached. Synthesis doesn't break the cycle since the cycle is already shown to be nonsense within the game itself. Hell the endings, even in the EE, are basically entirely identical except in one they have glowy green poo poo on them. That's partially due to the ending just kinda not being great but it also shows they had no clear idea what the hell Synthesis even means since it probably wouldn't have taken a ton of effort to draw mildly different slides.

(I feel like it's also kinda noteworthy that ME4's teaser trailer appears to assure that Synthesis is the only ending that can't possibly be canon.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Ugh, this thread is spoileriffic for 3. Gonna bow out.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Willatron posted:

The concept of Synthesis as "organic and synthetic life working together" would totally have been a good coherent ending, with pointing at the Geth and EDI as examples.

The actual Synthesis ending of "everyone becomes half glowing green robot" is total garbage nonsense

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Let me tell you about the Shepard, my sweet, though it may be but a myth" "But Grandpa, didn't you just say that we're all immortal robots now? Surely we have this well documented in our flawless robot minds. In fact we can probably go talk to Shepard's immortal robot crewmates via the brainnet! Wrex, is what my grandpa said about Shepard true?"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fuzz posted:

Ugh, this thread is spoileriffic for 3. Gonna bow out.

Gotta avoid spoilers of a 9 year old game with the worst ending in video game history.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The game directly goes against that though. Like hell, the rogue Luna AI turns out to be EDI and your cast goes directly from fighting her to one of them trying to have sex with her. Likewise the game is pretty blunt about the idea that variation and difference is a good thing as one of the Reaper's many flaws is that they are effectively taking a civilization and converting it down to an indistinguishable husk. There is a theme of conflict between AI and organic beings but almost universally the conflict ends up being "There is a path if you can learn to recognize synthetic beings as living entities" and considering Tali "I'm pretty down for some war crimes" Vas Normandy comes around to thinking the Geth have souls it's pretty blunt that it isn't a requirement to suddenly fuse with one for that to happen.

Destroy, at least in the Extended edition, isn't human-centric. It basically shows all the species of the galaxy overcoming their poo poo and trying to be better. There's always a possibility for future conflict but that is true of every ending including Synthesis as we explicitly saw that a single math error lead to wildly different viewpoints between purely robotic beings and they don't have weird flesh bits attached. Synthesis doesn't break the cycle since the cycle is already shown to be nonsense within the game itself. Hell the endings, even in the EE, are basically entirely identical except in one they have glowy green poo poo on them. That's partially due to the ending just kinda not being great but it also shows they had no clear idea what the hell Synthesis even means since it probably wouldn't have taken a ton of effort to draw mildly different slides.

(I feel like it's also kinda noteworthy that ME4's teaser trailer appears to assure that Synthesis is the only ending that can't possibly be canon.)

Yeah but I took that as the evidence the Catalyst/Star Child/what have you needed to determine organics and synthetics were ready for synthesis in the first place. Shepard proved it was a viable solution through their actions of getting everybody to work together enough to complete the crucible and make it to the firing chamber in the first place. Synthesis is possible specifically because Shepard an co defy the cycle, not in spite of that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wouldn't change 2, just add an installment instead of rushing to tie everything up by 3.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
3 is a lot of fun but it is a shame that guy locked himself in a room and didn't let any other writers in to help write the ending.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Rinkles posted:

I wouldn't change 2, just add an installment instead of rushing to tie everything up by 3.

Chronicles of Kai Leng

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Chronicles of Kai Leng

Isn’t that what the books between 2 and 3 are about?

Establishing Kai Leng as a cereal thief who kills people with toothbrushes

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Spacebump posted:

3 is a lot of fun but it is a shame that guy locked himself in a room and didn't stay in there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Chronicles of Kai Leng

I honestly forgot about Kai Leng until I replayed and lord he is just the most pathetic doofus in the entire franchise. I feel like it's telling he is basically the only villain you never get a chance to call wrong because he has no motivation or personality beyond cosplaying as a space samurai and being edgy.

the Citadel DLC should have let you give him a swirly.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Fuzz posted:

I used to be a Garrus/Wrex train sorta guy all the way, but holy poo poo Garrus is just a piece of poo poo cop now every time he opens his mouth, he's actively gone from one of my favorite characters to often getting shelved. I've been using Kaidan and Tali (who used to always annoy me, but now has grown on me with her fish out of water stuff) a lot and it's actually pretty great.

Whereas I used to be a big Tali fanboy because her UwU suckered me in, but now I can't stand her Space Likudnik rear end and berate her at every turn. Probably gonna make her jump off a cliff, I dunno.

EDIT : like, the whole "oooh but because of the geth we're forced to live on the Flotilla" stuff makes so little sense in retrospect. THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF EMPTY PLANETS, ASSHOLES ! I scan a dozen paradise worlds every trip, gently caress all of y'all, pick one and colonize it like goddamn grown ups.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 23, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
ah yes, kai leng. we have dismissed these claims

e: Apparently the guy who made the Thane mod for 3 went super overprotective and took all of his stuff down, so in the interest of preserving game history, it'd be cool if somebody uploaded a mirror to it. :shobon:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

bobjr posted:

Isn’t that what the books between 2 and 3 are about?

Establishing Kai Leng as a cereal thief who kills people with toothbrushes

Tell me you dont want a renegade interrupt where he takes a poo poo in someones flower pot just to establish dominance

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit considering how hard I laughed at the toothbrush scene in the DLC I'm probably more willing to look favorably on stupid toothbrush antics in Mass Effect.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So imported my ME1 save to ME2 and it has given me the imported ability of Kasumi's flashbang loyalty ability? What? why? Like I guess its not the worse thing but why would it do that.

Also very disappointed ME2 still can't let you hide helmets, so dumb :(

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bogart posted:

ah yes, kai leng. we have dismissed these claims

e: Apparently the guy who made the Thane mod for 3 went super overprotective and took all of his stuff down, so in the interest of preserving game history, it'd be cool if somebody uploaded a mirror to it. :shobon:

Modders seem insane. I don't understand all the drama in that scene.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tali is still cool because she was raised by some rear end in a top hat admiral who was completely gung-ho about taking back the planet and killing all the geth. Enough to where he did a bunch of illegal experiments behind everyone's back. So considering she was raised by him, and a society that teaches all AI are bad and evil and the geth all need to be wiped out and they're only machines, that you can have her come around to believing that the geth have souls, it shows she's a pretty decent person.

Like you meet maybe two other quarians who realize that they're the baddies, so it's pretty remarkable to have Tali change her mind.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do like how the rear end in a top hat admiral in 2 is one because he sees what happened to the Geth as inhumane and he’s a big asset in 3, while the nice one who Tali knows basically starts an all out attack that possibly gets them all killed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobjr posted:

I do like how the rear end in a top hat admiral in 2 is one because he sees what happened to the Geth as inhumane and he’s a big asset in 3, while the nice one who Tali knows basically starts an all out attack that possibly gets them all killed.

Yeah, that was a really nice twist. It's pretty interesting how the entire thing is framed as "The innocent girl is being unfairly hounded by assholes" except the innocent girl and her father are complicit in war crimes and the hardass 'bad guy' is in fact 100% correct and has a justifiable reason to be disgusted by what happened and the only solution that really keeps your party member happy is lying about the war crimes.

But since Tali is UwU most people seem to remember it as the way it is framed, not the way it actually is.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tali didn't commit war crimes, though. Her father did but she was innocent. She's willing to take the blame for him, which again just shows how badly he raised her.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Spacebump posted:

Oh, this must have been changed recently? I had read on reddit and this site https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mass-effect-legendary-edition-cross-saves-will-transfer-on-xbox-not-playstation/1100-6491400/ that PS4 saves wouldn't transfer to PS5.

I don't have a PS5 yet, I was just worried my save would be lost when I finally find one.

I did go through the whole 'connect your PS4 and PS5 with a LAN cable' rigmarole to transfer them. Remember to sync up your Trophy info on PS4 before you start as well. From there, I moved the ME install from the external drive onto the PS5 HD and the saves were all available. They had a slightly different and odd prefix to each save at first but on subsequent sessions, they were the normal/usual save names again.

Evil Canadian posted:

Also very disappointed ME2 still can't let you hide helmets, so dumb :(

It does, or at least it always did *except* for the all in one armours like the Cerberus/Terminus/Blood Dragon et al. Those are basically one big piece and you can't hide their helmets. The individual N7 pieces can have the helmet hidden except in actual space or toxic atmospheres.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Sentinel Red posted:

It does, or at least it always did *except* for the all in one armours like the Cerberus/Terminus/Blood Dragon et al. Those are basically one big piece and you can't hide their helmets. The individual N7 pieces can have the helmet hidden except in actual space or toxic atmospheres.

Well you can hide your helmet as in equipping no helmet, and losing any associated bonuses you get from the head slot. Or is there something else you are talking about?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No, ME2 keeps your helmets on.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Evil Canadian posted:

Well you can hide your helmet as in equipping no helmet, and losing any associated bonuses you get from the head slot. Or is there something else you are talking about?

Ah, you know what, you're right, I'm wrong. I never used the helmets in 2, I always used the headshot visor thingy so I just had that in mind in terms of 'helmet not always visible'. Soz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
It's weird because In 3 you CAN hide the helmets on the full suits right?