Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Khanstant posted:

This was a thrilling episode, and sorta an all in one bite experience. The nostalgia is soothing, and the love, and the bravery, camaraderie, all the good things, that we would like to have in current events. Plus a loving last look at some fitting ideals.

I touched a Terry Matalas tweet so now my feed is full of the same 5 people gushing like this.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Okay, my theory is the space crud Picard's great-great whatever lady found on the moon infected her brain and became intelligent and passed down the generations to try to take over the Federation but instead it would just make the Picard family member crazy or alzheimers when it manifested, but now Jack has it perfected due to Beverly's super genius son genes. This has to ignore that it was Picard's mom that was crazy while the ancestor was on the dad's side but I bet they ignore it anyway or it becomes canon that Picard is inbred.

Or it's that memory virus from Voyager's Star Trek 6 episode but mean mad

This sound right. It has to tie back into the Picards somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The only person it makes sense to be is Sela, but I doubt it will be her.
I do think Terry would want to do that "lol you thought the voice was a man??"

Didn't they say we were getting another DS9 person in it? We've not seen them yet

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

the dlob days of summer
The other DS9 cameo is Melora

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Matalas thinks that the beheaded Ferengi was actually Quark.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m really looking forward to only having good Star Treks left after Picard ends.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Aw crap, sorry, dude. I knew I should have known my idea wasn't original.

It's not that, it's a good example because LoTR is a a trilogy of similar length to the modern prestige TV format. LoTR establishes everything it needs to establish for you to understand what will be presented later.

Nothing relevant to the overarching story of this season has been told yet other than there is something overarching.

Also related to poorly established stakes, I'm super tired of current Trek forgoing background character / featured extra development until quite literally moments before they kill them off. Discover did it two or three times? The whole reason there was the backstory tweet poo poo of the T'Veen character (to which we were all like, wait they have a name?) immediately before the character is killed basically told us that they were killing the character this episode. When Vadic was trying to inflate the tension by picking who to kill "at random" it was clear what they were doing thus deflating any tension because of the T'Veen tweets. Now, obviously I don't know for sure that Dave Blass tweeting that thing about learning about the bridge crew highlighting T'Veen was coordinated, but given the current Trek trend... It's hard to not think it was.

I don't know if that's because they assume that the television watching audience has the memory of a goldfish, or if they fundamentally don't understand the concept behind Chekov's gun, but it's really funny every time they do it.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Though it would be nice to see Avery Brooks' misgivings about being an absent father finally resolved, in my head canon he time traveled back to about six months after he disappeared and he and Jake and whatever grandchildren are having a wonderful time writing novels and eating gumbo. So please don't make it him.

I bet it's Dax...somehow. And in a new body so they can screw over Terry Farrell again AND Nicole De Boer

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
*worfing intensifies*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Introducing… JACK DAX. Turns out he can go nuts and kill ten people in seconds because of that pesky serial killer Dax again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

I touched a Terry Matalas tweet so now my feed is full of the same 5 people gushing like this.

i wanna be in their heads for like 5 minutes watching the show to see if maybe they have some sort of heroin like dopamine release from seeing no-longer-great old actors poorly portraying their characters that might explain their reactions

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Introducing… JACK DAX. Turns out he can go nuts and kill ten people in seconds because of that pesky serial killer Dax again.

I think I need to go to bed because that actually makes sense in a weird Matalas-land logic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's Jeffrey Combs playing someone totally new.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Fine with this

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Alchenar posted:

He just wants to be... Re-Animated.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Khanstant posted:

i wanna be in their heads for like 5 minutes watching the show to see if maybe they have some sort of heroin like dopamine release from seeing no-longer-great old actors poorly portraying their characters that might explain their reactions

YouTube recommended a reaction vid to the episode with the Fleet Museum so I scrolled through it. I know 99% of reaction videos are attention-getting performance, but this dude legitimately looked like he was about to cry during the three-second CGI shot of Voyager.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Super Deuce posted:

It's not that, it's a good example because LoTR is a a trilogy of similar length to the modern prestige TV format. LoTR establishes everything it needs to establish for you to understand what will be presented later.

:hfive:

I tried to think of more recent movies that I could run the comparison by, and I realized the mysterybox storytelling stuff caught on not long after LOTR. Even if it wasn't so blunt and lazy as Picard.

What if instead of Thanos on a quest for the infinity stones, we got three movies of vague teasers and visions and .... oh, wait.

What if the James Bond villain were the mastermind of the previous villain and we only learn this later on because there is a secret connection...oh, wait.

What if Batman and Superman had to fight because ... eh, I can't even be bothered to draw that one out.

Heck, the only big franchise movies that don't seem to rely a bit on that are the recent Mission: Impossibles (well, maybe the third one, as it was made by JJ "Mystery Box" Abrams himself), but that's just because they are kinda meant to be confusing in a spy-actiony way?

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 7, 2023

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The final episode finally wraps up the loose ends from “Samaritan Snare” and reveals Dr. Pulaski as the doctor behind the changeling experiments, shows Picard’s heart stopping once and for all, and the writers as Pakleds.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Star Trek: The Two Towers has 20 minutes of Wormtongue monologuing while the battle of Helm's Deep happens off screen.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

:hfive:

I tried to think of more recent movies that I could run the comparison by, and I realized the mysterybox storytelling stuff caught on not long after LOTR. Even if it wasn't so blunt and lazy as Picard.

What if instead of Thanos on a quest for the infinity stones, we got three movies of vague teasers and visions and .... oh, wait.

What if the James Bond villain were the mastermind of the previous villain and we only learn this later on because there is a secret connection...oh, wait.

What if Batman and Superman had to fight because ... eh, I can't even be bothered to draw that one out.

Heck, the only big franchise movies that don't seem to rely a bit on that is the recent Mission: Impossibles, but that's just because they are kinda meant to be confusing in a spy-actiony way?
If the Thanos story was the only thing presented in those leadup Marvel movies for sure it'd be the same, but at least those had full stories on their own. Same with the James Bond movies. Batman vs Superman was atrocious in every regard, but even then from the Batman perspective there was motivation and stakes for why he was doing what he was doing.

I haven't watched any of Terry Matalas's previous stuff, never really wanted to so I don't know this for myself... but has he shown he knows what a three act story even is?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

YouTube recommended a reaction vid to the episode with the Fleet Museum so I scrolled through it. I know 99% of reaction videos are attention-getting performance, but this dude legitimately looked like he was about to cry during the three-second CGI shot of Voyager.

I've heard stuff like this from people, I just do not understand that nostalgia stuff
You can watch voyager right now! If you want to see it, it's right there! I don't understand

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
For the identity to make sense it should be someone who:
- Has a vendetta against Picard (many candidates)
- Knows Picard had Borg parts in his head (many candidates)
- Or depending what they're after knows about Picard's brain disease (few candidates)
- Knows that Jack Crusher exists (few candidates)
- Knows that Jack has special powers (even fewer candidates)

I guess they can just make poo poo up to cover these points (it has been 20 years), but I can't come up with anyone who actually makes sense in the established canon.

Unrelated to that line of thought, my final guess for the big bad is Tasha Yar reanimated by Armus...Tasha Yarmus if you will.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I just don't get it, Star Trek is easy to watch any time you want. When I am nostalgic for Voyager... I just stream Voyager. I'd be excited for new Voyager episodes, but we aren't getting anything like that and seeing Voyager or any other legacy thing does absolutely nothing. Maybe these people on my saw Trek as kids and have been creating a weird drought for themselves where Star Trek is rare instead of something they watch whenever they want to.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Super Deuce posted:

If the Thanos story was the only thing presented in those leadup Marvel movies for sure it'd be the same, but at least those had full stories on their own. Same with the James Bond movies. Batman vs Superman was atrocious in every regard, but even then from the Batman perspective there was motivation and stakes for why he was doing what he was doing.

Yeah, those examples are more like hints of institutional creep while Matalas is a speeding freight train.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
It Changelings wanted borg parts, why not move against the season 1 un-borgers, or even Seven when they already had a changeling on board her ship as Lt Fast and Furious so clearly could have taken her instead. Even without impersonating her. He was the transporter chief. Oops, Commander Seven was lost in a transporter accident. Thank you for your borg parts.

I know they're teasing the borg parts from Picard's brain sections missing thing, I just don't get why his specific parts are relevant or worth breaking into Daystrom for over the other options.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I just don't get it, Star Trek is easy to watch any time you want. When I am nostalgic for Voyager... I just stream Voyager. I'd be excited for new Voyager episodes, but we aren't getting anything like that and seeing Voyager or any other legacy thing does absolutely nothing. Maybe these people on my saw Trek as kids and have been creating a weird drought for themselves where Star Trek is rare instead of something they watch whenever they want to.

Some people cried when they saw a digital mannequin of luke skywalker say some stuff in the mandalorian. I don't get it either, but the emotional reaction happens when you care a lot. Yeah, maybe it's a little too much about some fake poo poo that doesn't matter. But hey, you have to fill your life with something and religion is fake, patriotism is fascist, and having kids sucks so this is what people turn to.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Chinston Wurchill posted:

For the identity to make sense it should be someone who:
- Has a vendetta against Picard (many candidates)
- Knows Picard had Borg parts in his head (many candidates)
- Or depending what they're after knows about Picard's brain disease (few candidates)
- Knows that Jack Crusher exists (few candidates)
- Knows that Jack has special powers (even fewer candidates)

I guess they can just make poo poo up to cover these points (it has been 20 years), but I can't come up with anyone who actually makes sense in the established canon.

Unrelated to that line of thought, my final guess for the big bad is Tasha Yar reanimated by Armus...Tasha Yarmus if you will.

It's Odo/ Laas because Terry hates Star Trek with every fiber of his being

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

They took the parts of Picard's brain that know how to play the flute. With these skills, they can create a sonic superweapon.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lister posted:

Some people cried when they saw a digital mannequin of luke skywalker say some stuff in the mandalorian. I don't get it either, but the emotional reaction happens when you care a lot. Yeah, maybe it's a little too much about some fake poo poo that doesn't matter. But hey, you have to fill your life with something and religion is fake, patriotism is fascist, and having kids sucks so this is what people turn to.

That's the thing though, I don't think anyone could ever accuse me of not caring about Trek, I think caring about it probably why I can't accept or be happy with empty cameos and digging up finished characters

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

final boss is project phoenix where we take an aging explorer and uh, hope they can do more cool stuff i guess?

reminds me of into darkness where khan was press-ganged into making weapons for no clear reason

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Actual Satan posted:

They took the parts of Picard's brain that know how to play the flute. With these skills, they can create a sonic superweapon.

lol i like this one

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
in a mirror of data's arc, jean-luc's new robot body lacks rhythm. the last two episodes will see him get his groove back

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Q's back and he pulled a big prank on Picard.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Q's back and he pulled a big prank on Picard.

Jack walks up to the door.

"Is that... Mariachi music?"

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Khanstant posted:

That's the thing though, I don't think anyone could ever accuse me of not caring about Trek, I think caring about it probably why I can't accept or be happy with empty cameos and digging up finished characters

I'm sure you do care, and I care too. But like... there's caring and then there's caring so much that it's a core part of your identity, and if you were so sick that you only had a week to live, you'd beg paramount to let you see the ending of picard before you die because it means more to you in your final days than anything else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lister posted:

I'm sure you do care, and I care too. But like... there's caring and then there's caring so much that it's a core part of your identity, and if you were so sick that you only had a week to live, you'd beg paramount to let you see the ending of picard before you die because it means more to you in your final days than anything else.

Okay yeah that actually puts it into perspective. If I find out I have 1 week I'm working as much as I can on Goblin Honey so that maybe after I die someone might look at my art poo poo and still think of Goblin Honey as a discrete thing fondly in some fashion. If I have TV on its because I need noise on while drawing, definitely not begging to see more nuTrek even if it was one of the good ones. I'm grateful to have segregated media I am really into away from my emotional core.

I also don't think I've been moved to tears just by seeing anyone, real or fictional. In general I'm not sure I've ever happy-cried? Usually just sad or angry crying.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hand Face is Kelsey Grammer who slams a Dominion-ized USS Bozeman into the Titan. The final 5 minutes of the series is just a smash cut back to the “how many times have we been in this loop?” board room scene from Cause and Effect.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

HD DAD posted:

Hand Face is Kelsey Grammer who slams a Dominion-ized USS Bozeman into the Titan. The final 5 minutes of the series is just a smash cut back to the “how many times have we been in this loop?” board room scene from Cause and Effect.

I've always had it in my headcanon that Kelsey Grammer captaining the Bozeman is why Niles' apartment is in the Montana.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HD DAD posted:

thats one thing i never really got about "cause and effect", actually. it's not really a loop, the people involved just think it is

so how are the crew of the bozeman not old as poo poo? wouldn't they have eventually noticed?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Beeftweeter posted:

thats one thing i never really got about "cause and effect", actually. it's not really a loop, the people involved just think it is

so how are the crew of the bozeman not old as poo poo? wouldn't they have eventually noticed?

Kelsey Grammer still had a full head of hair when he first sat in the Bozeman chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It occurs to me that at no point have they brought up the existence of Soji and her sister from the first season when they started back with the Data stuff this season, and it just made me chuckle a bit