Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

lol they absolutely do not say that in Peru and never did

Keep this up and you’re never gonna have a line of best-selling books telling hippies that drugs are great (because secret ancient shamans from whatever culture you’re appropriating that day showed you the real truth!)

Despite a coiner getting hosed, this is actually a bad ruling. You’re only suffering a SIM swap attack if your phone company has completely failed in their own basic security (and/or has people working with the scammers on staff). Phone companies should face massive penalties when this happens, not be able to foist off the problem to a contractually-required arbitration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
sam worked out an amazing scheme, he just has to double the amount of rice he has every day for a month....

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Boxturret posted:

sam worked out an amazing scheme, he just has to double the amount of rice he has every day for a month....

fortunately, sam has worked out a settlement with the gangsters to avoid getting shivved. he must merely place one grain of rice on the first square of the chessboard, two grains of rice on the second, etc etc. doesn't sound like much, anyway

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Freedom’s online portal is a loving joke and I’m pretty sure the phone number is sufficient to control every last thing about the account.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Juul-Whip posted:

'SIM swap' theft victim can't sue phone company, B.C. court rules: Scammer stole $60K worth of bitcoin after impersonating Freedom Mobile client, lawsuit claimed

the "reluctantly" is unfortunate and judge doesnt seem to have gotten into the ridiculousness of him trying to shake down the phone company for real dollars to replace his lost buttcoin. just that he agreed to the arbitration clause of the phone company's TOS and should try to resolve via that process. but regardless, always funny to see one of these guys get owned

I'm being honest with you, a car company should be liable for any theft if they give a thief your keys; similarly, mobile carriers need to be on the hook for sim swapping if we are to have any hope of forcing them to take this horseshit more seriously.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
yes but making laws and regulations and all that hard stuff requires a working government, so we all get to enjoy forced arbitration clauses, "high frequency trading", crypto ETFs, and myriads of other bullshit

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 12, 2024

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Cantorsdust posted:

fortunately, sam has worked out a settlement with the gangsters to avoid getting shivved. he must merely place one grain of rice on the first square of the chessboard, two grains of rice on the second, etc etc. doesn't sound like much, anyway

"Sure thing," Sam replies, serenely.
*the chess board disappears*
*a photo of a newly built mansion in Barbados materializes on the wall*

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Cantorsdust posted:

involving a chessboard allows sam to leverage his unmatched strategical brilliance

to wit: sum(1..64) is only 2080 total grains of rice

ezpz :pcgaming::jiggled::boom::moonrio::parrot::yosbutt:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fried rice

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

note that the suit was stayed because there's an arbitration clause requiring the aggrieved party to go to private arbitration first. also, it's canada sooooooooo yeah.

(not that the us is any better, the federal arbitration act will end up precluding that kind of claim from being pursued in american courts as well.)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
sam bankman-fried rice

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chris Knight posted:

sam bankman-fried rice

You're telling me a shrimp fried that rice?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yes.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i don't think they were, actually

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Shumagorath posted:

It’s more likely that the wrestlers had buddies in SOF who told them (and everyone in their phones) after the job was done.

No, this is false. Barack Obama directly called The Rock’s personal cell phone in order to tell him that Osama Bin Laden had just been domed, and he also asked him to vaguepost about it.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Chris Knight posted:

sam bankman-fried rice

proof of wok

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ariong posted:

No, this is false. Barack Obama directly called The Rock’s personal cell phone in order to tell him that Osama Bin Laden had just been domed, and he also asked him to vaguepost about it.

i knew it

thanks ari:wrong:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The privacy of the WWF phone directory has been compromised to a permanent end

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Boxturret posted:

i don't think they were, actually

:wrong:

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lol joe biden has ordered the immediate closure of a bitcoin mine and a salting of the earth that the now ex- bitcoin mine occupied

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...vestment-i-l-p/ posted:

[...]

Not later than 90 calendar days after the date of this order, unless such date is extended by CFIUS, subject to such conditions on an extension as CFIUS determines are necessary and appropriate to protect the national security of the United States, the Purchasers, whether directly or indirectly, shall:

(i) remove from the Real Estate all items, structures, or other physical objects or installations of any kind (the “Equipment”) that the Purchasers, their Affiliates, or persons acting on their behalf, have stockpiled, stored, deposited, installed, or affixed (the “Equipment Removal”), and certify in writing that such Equipment Removal has been completed; and

(ii) remove from the Real Estate all (A) utility and other improvements on or adjacent and connected to the Real Estate; (B) excavation, repair, or new construction on the Real Estate underground; and (C) repair, improvement, or new construction on the Real Estate above ground (collectively, (A) through (C), the “Improvements”) commenced, continued, or completed by the Purchasers or their Affiliates after the closing of the Transaction (the “Improvements Removal”), and certify in writing that such Improvements Removal has been completed.

CFIUS is authorized to require inspection of the Real Estate, at no expense to CFIUS, on terms it deems appropriate to ensure that each of the Equipment Removal and Improvements Removal is complete and verified.

[...]

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ah that's no fun, they're only kicking them out because it's owned by Chinese nationals and right next to an air force base

drk
Jan 16, 2005
lol amazing

I remember the :tinfoil: about the ~Chinese~ mining bit coins near an air force base, but I am somewhat surprised they actually did something about it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

could we convince brandon that the chinese run all the health insurance companies and check cashing places?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

the sports betting sites and google, too!

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ah that's no fun, they're only kicking them out because it's owned by Chinese nationals and right next to an air force base

any crypto mining operation in the United States can be related to a national security object N miles away and probably has at least some foreign investors, so kick 'em all out imho

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
joe using his racism for something good finally

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

koolkal posted:

joe using his racism for something good finally
:rolleyes:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I shall "hand it to" Joe Bidene and no one on Earth can stop me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
darknet brandon

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

drk posted:

lol amazing

I remember the :tinfoil: about the ~Chinese~ mining bit coins near an air force base, but I am somewhat surprised they actually did something about it

its a good thing biden sniffed them out

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Hammerite posted:

I shall "hand it to" Joe Bidene and no one on Earth can stop me

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
we have written about tether and sanctions

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

this popped up in one of those firefox recommended articles (idk why they do that poo poo).

https://www.wired.com/story/time-is-running-out-hunt-for-rare-bitcoin/

quote:

Time Is Running Out in the Hunt for Rare Bitcoin
A small band of collectors is finding and collecting rare fragments of bitcoin worth many times the face value. But their window of opportunity is closing.
The very rarest can sell for tens of millions of times their face value; in April, a single sat, normally worth $0.0006, sold for $2.1 million.

wtf i'm pretty sure bitcoin is fungible you rubes, you got taken

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
had to check to see if that was published april 1st

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

infernal machines posted:

had to check to see if that was published april 1st

well, was it?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

divabot posted:

we have written about tether and sanctions

this is excellent

:gerard:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

well, was it?

you tell me :argh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Eeyo posted:

this popped up in one of those firefox recommended articles (idk why they do that poo poo).

https://www.wired.com/story/time-is-running-out-hunt-for-rare-bitcoin/

wtf i'm pretty sure bitcoin is fungible you rubes, you got taken

the hunt for rare bittober

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shame Boy posted:

the hunt for rare bittober

goxtober