Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Brewster's Bitcoins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Eeyo posted:

this popped up in one of those firefox recommended articles (idk why they do that poo poo).

its so you share it with others and they make ad money, op

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Carthag Tuek posted:

its so you share it with others and they make ad money, op

honked again

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Eeyo posted:

this popped up in one of those firefox recommended articles (idk why they do that poo poo).

https://www.wired.com/story/time-is-running-out-hunt-for-rare-bitcoin/

wtf i'm pretty sure bitcoin is fungible you rubes, you got taken

some dorks came up with an off-chain way to de-funge them so they make bitcoin-nfts associated with individual bit-pennies
they call the system bitcoin ordinals

e: oh this is what the article was about
i thought the nft thing was dumb but people paying extra just to have the one millionth satoshi mined without any nft bullshit attached is even dumber

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 15, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Whitby Crypto King (the one whose buddy destroyed evidence on one of his phones) got arrested.

e: rude of me to not link it

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-s-crypto-king-and-his-associate-arrested-charged-with-fraud-1.7204958

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 16, 2024

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
its wild how deep this scandal keeps going

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2024...s-kucinich.html

how does a restaurateur manage to scam a giant power company for 'blockchain technology' for a cool mil and a half then kucinich for 5gr a month for bit coin consulting 'until i say so'

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

graph posted:

how does a restaurateur manage to scam a giant power company for 'blockchain technology' for a cool mil and a half then kucinich for 5gr a month for bit coin consulting 'until i say so'

how? it's easy. i've done it

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

but yeah, how's wild all right

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

graph posted:

lol getting scammed by the dude you tried to have killed 50 years ago

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lol getting scammed by the dude you tried to have killed 50 years ago

a who now

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

graph posted:

A Real Honest To God Newspaper Article About A Bribery Scandal posted:

The invoices came from "JoBob Inc.",

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

huh that sure is a sentence on wikipedia describing two events that happened, one after the other

quote:

After Kucinich refused to sell Municipal Light (now Cleveland Public Power), Cleveland's publicly owned electric utility, the Cleveland mafia sought to murder him in a contract killing. A hit man from Maryland planned to shoot him in the head during the Columbus Day Parade, but the plot fell apart when Kucinich was hospitalized with a bleeding ulcer and missed the event.[24] When the city fell into default shortly thereafter, the Mafia leaders called off the contract killer.[25]

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

graph posted:

a who now

the illuminating company (which became first energy) tried to have the mob assassinate kucinuch because he wouldnt sell cleveland public power to them

...!
Oct 5, 2003

graph posted:

a who now

a how now :mad:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"the cleveland mafia"

oh, for sure, yes

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

the wikipedia article "Cleveland mafia" redirects to "Cleveland crime family" because apparently there's just one

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

not anymore because they all fled to youngstown

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

which is a fate crueler than any of the mobsters from NYC ever faced

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you've got a choice frankie, cement shoes in the hudson, or ohio

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Kucinich didn't have anything to do with it though. One criminal scammed the other criminal by emailing him with "hello please send 5k/month for bribes consulting fees for my very real good friend famous local politician" and then pocketed the money.

It's literally the rain made scam from the wire season 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxQw0VoT538

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what i'm getting is that the wire was better than superman 3 in terms of profitable crimes

e: also, good avatar/post synergy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

"the cleveland mafia"

oh, for sure, yes

lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

i gotta be honest: buttcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

...! posted:

i gotta be honest:

idgi your post just stopped

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

idgi your post just stopped

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

LanceHunter posted:

Despite a coiner getting hosed, this is actually a bad ruling. You’re only suffering a SIM swap attack if your phone company has completely failed in their own basic security (and/or has people working with the scammers on staff). Phone companies should face massive penalties when this happens, not be able to foist off the problem to a contractually-required arbitration.
I just upgraded phones for my personal and business lines, and I got multiple emails and texts from straight talk and google asking if I transferred the numbers to new phones. It's ridiculous that this isn't standard.

Eeyo posted:

https://www.wired.com/story/time-is-running-out-hunt-for-rare-bitcoin/

wtf i'm pretty sure bitcoin is fungible you rubes, you got taken
Reminds me of people who buy paper currency well above face value that has "interesting" or sequential serial numbers

mrmcd posted:

Kucinich didn't have anything to do with it though. One criminal scammed the other criminal by emailing him with "hello please send 5k/month for bribes consulting fees for my very real good friend famous local politician" and then pocketed the money.
There's a really common scam where you send fake invoices/bills to large companies and they pay it without checking to see if it's legit.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

more truth: boxturret musk

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Money/comments/185lpf6/never_thought_id_own_a_100_bill_id_never_spend/

sometimes people get weird numbers graded for self-satisfying reasons, too

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

vortmax posted:

There's a really common scam where you send fake invoices/bills to large companies and they pay it without checking to see if it's legit.

i nearly fell for one of those the other week:buddy:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

...! posted:

more truth: boxturret musk

ew ew ewwwwwww

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/two-brothers-arrested-attacking-ethereum-blockchain-and-stealing-25-million

quote:

U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said: “Today, my Office indicted two brothers—Anton Peraire-Bueno and James Peraire-Bueno—for conspiracy to commit wire fraud, wire fraud, and conspiracy to commit money laundering, all stemming from their alleged scheme to exploit the Ethereum blockchain and to obtain about $25 million worth of cryptocurrency from it. As we allege, the defendants’ scheme calls the very integrity of the blockchain into question. The brothers, who studied computer science and math at one of the most prestigious universities in the world, allegedly used their specialized skills and education to tamper with and manipulate the protocols relied upon by millions of Ethereum users across the globe. And once they put their plan into action, their heist only took 12 seconds to complete. This alleged scheme was novel and has never before been charged. But as the Indictment makes clear, no matter how sophisticated the fraud or how new the techniques used to accomplish it, the career prosecutors of this Office will be relentless in pursuing people who attack the integrity of all financial systems.”

There are no details, but maybe the immutable ledger has been mutabled?

Also, lol at using double spaces.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Paladinus posted:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/two-brothers-arrested-attacking-ethereum-blockchain-and-stealing-25-million

There are no details, but maybe the immutable ledger has been mutabled?

Also, lol at using double spaces.

There are some details in the indictment itself and from a cursory glance they tricked some arbitrage bots to overpay for illiquid shitcoins

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Well, that's less exciting.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

divabot posted:

we have written about tether and sanctions

never stop posting :five:

also Jesus that's a lot of sanctions violations, holy drat that's like Wells Fargo levels of laundering for sanctioned parties

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 16, 2024

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Bonfire Lit posted:

There are some details in the indictment itself and from a cursory glance they tricked some arbitrage bots to overpay for illiquid shitcoins

They exploited a side protocol used to build blocks for validation to bait high frequency traders and then reorder the transactions within the block. This other protocol lets users search through the pool of pending transactions, bundle them into a block, and submit the block to miners.

There is an intermediate layer of servers that receive proposed blocks and then negotiate with miners to pass on the highest value ones. The important point is that this protocol doesn't tell the miners what transactions are in the proposed block, just the expected gas fees of the block. The block contents are released only after the miner agrees to mine the block.

The fraudsters found a code exploit which let them set up malicious servers that could reorder transactions while digitally signing everything needed to make it look like they were providing the original block but secretly reordering the transactions. The way it was supposed to work was that a hft bot would spot a market moving transaction for some illiquid shitcoin. Then it would submit a block buying a bunch of that shitcoin, immediately run the market moving transaction, then immediately sell the shitcoin.

The fraudsters placed bait transactions in the pool for various shitcoins they had previously acquired. When a hft bot submitted their buy/sell block the fraudsters would secretly insert their sell order right before the bot's, causing the price to crash and the fraudsters to walk away with the pump and dump profits and the hft trader left with a pile of useless shitcoins.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
that's some good poo poo, the Peraire-Buenos did nothing wrong

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Vesi posted:

that's some good poo poo, the Peraire-Buenos did nothing wrong

unironically this

it's illegal to insert transactions in front of hft bots who are in turn inserting transactions in front of normal users for precisely the same reason? gently caress 'em, they absolutely deserve it

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
doing god's work

although the part where they forged the digital signatures to misrepresent the block probably makes this a slam dunk case

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Chalks posted:

unironically this

it's illegal to insert transactions in front of hft bots who are in turn inserting transactions in front of normal users for precisely the same reason? gently caress 'em, they absolutely deserve it

I think setting up an adversary in the middle and using an exploit to change someone's order and forge the signature for that order is perhaps one of the clearest examples of actual hacking in one of these market manipulation cases.

I didn't read far enough in the indictment to see if they also set up a website, in which case they should be jailed foreverally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's the crime? Calling an API endpoint?