Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

outside of figgieland doin figgie jobs (altho not just tech) this doesnt really exist and most peeps independently wealthy inherited that poo poo and are now studiously pretending they didnt

I know, it was sarcasm

ain’t nobody what gets independently wealthy but by winning one lottery or another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

alexandriao posted:

c proj s: Lisp tokenizer is finished at 83 bytes, parser is half done and weighing in at around 54 bytes-ish

Literally over the moon because this is way below the total space I have so I have room to insert cool things like error checking

kick rear end!

well on your way to bootstrapping a lisp you can use to write and compile an even better lisp

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

eschaton posted:

kick rear end!

well on your way to bootstrapping a lisp you can use to write and compile an even better lisp

thank u!! and lol

The challenge is McCarthy's original lisp, but as small as you can make it, but if I have room I'll throw in some peek/poke primitives too just to give it some level of usefulness

There's only one other project and it's ~800ish bytes, and written by the person who did the really cool "Actually Portable Executables" thing.

So on some level this is probably just my attempting to flex on them or something lol, but also I've been dreaming of this parser design for like 7 years and tried a few dozen times to make it work, it didn't until a month ago and it turns out to be absolutely perfect for this sort of project

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 30, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

It took me three weeks to write a lovely version of the tokenizer, then something clicked and I rewrote it in a day (but it took like two extra days to debug and fix it :laffo:), and honestly at this point there is something super relaxing to writing for the 8086+.

The amount of things that can go wrong fall into like three groups and debugging it is just stepping through and seeing which value you're loving up. Its peaceful.

Unlike getting CSS to render anything remotely complex :negative:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

i had no idea ed asner was such a righteous dude, RIP big fella.

"righteous dude" always makes me think about sportos and dweebies :allears:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

enjoying my last days of vacation before i give up and go back to london to relearn to code

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

bump_fn posted:

enjoying my last days of vacation before i give up and go back to london to relearn to code

drat that looks hella tight

cjs: bored as poo poo no fuckin work (well there's doco but ughhh)

hbag: how did you get on with linode? note if you posted about it here i just skipped ~450 posts because i cbf

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/207180282070040576/881863182623330304/video0.mov

it got windy

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

surf's up!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
despite what some people will tell you you really can’t surf in the med, you really don’t get proper waves. but if you go into the atlantic, like northern spain, it can be excellent

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah eu surfing spots are in portugal afaik

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i have heard there are people giving surfing lessons in ireland

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

should be fine for waves, just much colder than already breezy portugal

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

should be fine for waves, just much colder than already breezy portugal

maybe they wear those full-body wetsuits :shrug:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

drat it, it's monday.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

all the surfers I’ve seen up here are wearing full body neoprene

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

dioxazine posted:

drat it, it's monday.

same

though our entire team is loving off to a coworkers pool this afternoon to celebrate someones 15 year anniversary

too bad she lives out in the middle of nowhere

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah eu surfing spots are in portugal afaik

there is surfing in the uk out in wales but: lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

More like Fales

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

there is surfing in the uk out in wales but: lol

loving a goat is probably better time spent than catching irish sea waves on some welsh beach

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

watched this at a film festival - weather don't matter for surf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1BzyBwZ1E

E: This was the actual video: https://vimeo.com/270463336

But it's about Surfer Dan

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 30, 2021

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

same

though our entire team is loving off to a coworkers pool this afternoon to celebrate someones 15 year anniversary

too bad she lives out in the middle of nowhere

harsh. at least it's not a celebration at the office

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/OldMemeArchive/status/1431987471139680257

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

prefect posted:

yeah donegal and some other places on the north and west coasts are really popular for surfing

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

cjs: i clicked accept on some meetings on thursday and friday without really looking at them and now that i'm looking at them after the standup it appears that i have a meeting to test something and then a meeting right after that to talk about the testing. right where i normally take my lunch

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that’s why you put your lunch time on your calendar

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it's already there. i feel terrible

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cjs: My manager put in his 2 weeks. Despite a kind of rocky introduction, he was a pretty good manager. :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cjs: My manager put in his 2 weeks. Despite a kind of rocky introduction, he was a pretty good manager. :(

take his place

Apr 7, 2003

decapitate him and take his power

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I understand there's some good surf on the west coast of France too.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

take his place

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

decapitate him and take his power

I am heading into the office right now with my claymore to introduce my manager to the world of highlander.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

probably a lot of ocean places have at least some surf, like say norway. i know of portugal in particular since that’s were surfers from all over the planet go to get their backs broken by 30 metre waves, their coastline packing insane punch

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I am heading into the office right now

seems like a big mistake here

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I am heading into the office right now with my claymore to introduce my manager to the world of highlander.

The movie never expounds on what kind of power they're taking from each other. There's just some lovely lighting effects and that's it. Kind of a rip-off.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

I understand there's some good surf on the west coast of France too.
most atlantic coastline in europe has good surf somewhere nearby

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fart simpson posted:

take his place
suck him off

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
cjs: of course i want to register my table with the geodatabase. that’s where i created the drat thing

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

what do you think the quickening is? you just have to remove A head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

probably a lot of ocean places have at least some surf, like say norway. i know of portugal in particular since that’s were surfers from all over the planet go to get their backs broken by 30 metre waves, their coastline packing insane punch

people surf up by like lofoten or something, but imo they’re insane