Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Buns isn't an option right now because she flat-out refuses to join you if Gumpy is on the team.

Weighing in on this discussion of grenades, launchers, and mortars, the correct response to any question regarding them is always 'you need more'. No exceptions. Underslung launchers on everyone that can pack them, at least a few dedicated grenade and mortar guys, flush out every building with tear gas before storming it, drop an HE round on every suspicious-looking hiding spot.

Also, never just open a door that could have enemies on the other side, blow it open. If possible, don't use the door at all, blast a new entryway in the wall.

Tear gas? What is this second grade bullshit? Real men use Mustard gas on everything. HE to enter rooms, but if you're cruel you'll use stun grenades to keep 'em down until the mustard gets them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SpookyLizard posted:

Tear gas? What is this second grade bullshit? Real men use Mustard gas on everything. HE to enter rooms, but if you're cruel you'll use stun grenades to keep 'em down until the mustard gets them.

I get the feeling that chemical weapons won't fit the theme of this LP, regardless of whether we get them or not, so they probably won't get used.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mister Bates posted:

Buns isn't an option right now because she flat-out refuses to join you if Gumpy is on the team.

You sure? I could've sworn that particular hatred was one that only developed after she got on the ground.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Humble, humble apologies, as I haven't managed to get a post out yet despite having optimistically estimate that I'd be ready to go on Monday.

I will give the info that Buns is unfortunately out on assignment anyways, so we'll have to test the Buns-Gumpy theorem another time.

I did also mention above that Mike and most of the crew would be staying away from mustard gas, but I could see myself giving it to more on-the-edge mercs like Fidel to play with and create some more sexy, sexy internal conflict.

Anyways, next update will be... uh... soon-ish? I'd like to say tomorrow morning, but don't hold me to that.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Did you find Gumpy a new toy? A toy with treads?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Mister Bates posted:

Weighing in on this discussion of grenades, launchers, and mortars, the correct response to any question regarding them is always 'you need more'. No exceptions. Underslung launchers on everyone that can pack them, at least a few dedicated grenade and mortar guys, flush out every building with tear gas before storming it, drop an HE round on every suspicious-looking hiding spot.

Also, never just open a door that could have enemies on the other side, blow it open. If possible, don't use the door at all, blast a new entryway in the wall.

Nothing feels better than dropping the wall of a building (and a few of its occupants) then spraying the unfortunate survivors with a wall of 7.62 AP.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It'd be great for some internal conflict. Especially if you got more 'crazy' mercs. They get sent off their own/minimal supervision and then they are dropping 60mm mortars full of gas on unsuspecting fools.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I always hesitate to use lingering/gas weapons in sectors where I know there are civilians. They aren't smart enough not to run into huge clouds of mustard gas, tear gas, burning death walls, or land mines, and every one of them that blunders into their own death is a penalty to your morale.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I always hesitate to use lingering/gas weapons in sectors where I know there are civilians. They aren't smart enough not to run into huge clouds of mustard gas, tear gas, burning death walls, or land mines, and every one of them that blunders into their own death is a penalty to your morale.

Oh those silly civilians, always just blundering into landmines or running headlong into chemical weapons! Can't imagine why that would be a penalty to morale!

I'm not trying to be preachy, but a strong moral penalty makes a lot of sense for "lingering" weapons.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 31, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Oh those silly civilians, always just blundering into landmines or running headlong into chemical weapons! Can't imagine why that would be a penalty to morale!

I'm not trying to be preachy, but a strong moral penalty makes a lot of sense for "lingering" weapons.

If it worked like actual mustard gas, yeah, but that poo poo disappears in like two minutes in JA2. I can't say I've ever had a civ walk into gas. And even then, all you gotta go do is kill some dudes to raise the morale or go to the right place or something. So long as you can train militia, the morale is more or less irrelevant (unless it's really early but then you shouldn't have mustard gas anyway).

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
I am 99% sure using chemical weapons near a civilian population is one of the few things that would make Michael Westen violate his 'no teamkilling' rule.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Agent Interrobang posted:

I am 99% sure using chemical weapons near a civilian population is one of the few things that would make Michael Westen violate his 'no teamkilling' rule.

Like we said, drama.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Volmarias posted:

I never said it was an unreasonable penalty? I don't know, chief. Lighten up?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Same here. It's going to happen occasionally, but even so I try to avoid killing civvies whenever possible. Out in the jungle away from the noncombatants the mustard gas and napalm come out to play. I've never found land mines that useful, though, with the exception of remote-triggered claymores and the like. They're only really useful when you have to defend a fixed position for a long time, like a town (which are full of civilians) or a SAM site (which come pre-mined courtesy of the royalists). I suppose mines might come in handy if you were trying to ambush enemy patrols on their routes or stop attacking forces well outside of town before they ever even reached their objectives, but I've never tried either of those things before.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I wish it were possible to arm bombs without placing them. You could set a frequency on a bundle of TNT and chuck it, then if the enemy happened to pass by, you could detonate it. It'd be great for covering a flank that you expect an attack from, but you can't afford to dedicate more than an occasional pair of eyes to.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Omerta, Arulco
July 15, 2011 -- 1029 EST

With the loss of Dr. Q still fresh, Michael and Sam climb into the jeep.

“Where to?”

“Our plans haven’t changed.”

“Straight into San Mona?”

In the backseat, Fidel grins.

“Yeees. San Mona! I like dis city very much.”

“We’re not here as tourists, Fidel. Sam, stop a few miles outside the city. I need to raise Fi on the radio before we try anything.”

“Sure thing.”

------------------------------

Chitzena, Arulco -- Airport
July 15, 2011 -- 1254 EST

Having dispatched the squad manning the checkpoint on the road to Chitzena, Fiona, Jesse, and their teams finish their march to the northwest SAM site. After a bit of equipment rejiggering (Grunty picking up the RPG launcher and shells that had been left behind here, and passing his EX-41 multi-shot grenade launcher to Blood), the team sits down to begin planning, but the sudden crackle of Fiona’s radio disrupts the proceedings.

“Fi? Do you copy?”

“Loud and clear.”

“Can you talk?”

Fiona glances at the others, then stands up and leaves the room.

“What’s wrong?”

“I lost Dr. Q in Omerta.”

“What happened?”

“Grenade. Listen, Fi—…”

“I’m sorry, Michael.”

“Don’t worry about it. Are you somewhere where you can get online?”

“We’re at the SAM site now, but we kind of blew up the control room. Just a second…”

Fiona walks across the grounds to the wrecked control room and heads over to the still-standing desk in the corner.

“Michael? There’s one computer here that doesn’t look too badly damaged. I’ll get Gumpy and see if he can get it working.”

“Okay. Once you’re online, I need you to get into AIM. Let them know about Dr. Q, and see if there’s someone who can get here on short notice. I don’t want to go into San Mona without a medic on-hand.”

“Got it. I’ll let you know once I’ve got someone.”

“Thanks, Fi. Have them meet us just east of the city.”

“Be careful, Michael.”

“Goodbye, Fi.”

As the radio goes silent, Fiona calls Gumpy into the control room.

“Hi, Fiona. What can I do for you?”

“I need you to connect this computer to the internet.”

Gumpy takes a long, slow look at the devastated control room and scratches his head.

“Yeah, okay.”

Two minutes later, Fiona is online.

“Gumpy, you are a wizard.”

“Heh heh, that’sh funny becaushe my World of Warcraft character ish acshually—…”

Fiona cuts him off with a cocked head and smile.

“Thank you, Gumpy. Why don’t you head back out to the yard and see if Jesse needs any help planning the mission?”

“Yeah, I do plan mosht of my guild’sh raidsh, sho I think I’m pretty knowledgeable about tacticsh and shtuff.”

“I’m sure he’ll appreciate any insights you might have.”

With Gumpy gone, Fiona sits down on the half-charred desk chair and fires up the AIM website to search for a likely candidate to replace the late Dr. Q.

She takes a close look at Buns, whose accuracy test scores and modest medical ability make her someone to keep in mind for the future, but who unfortunately is currently on assignment.

Thor Kaufman doesn’t appear to have any formal medical training, but his test scores show reveal that he’s smart as a whip and very fit. Plus, his stealth training should make him a valuable backup to Michael on nighttime infiltrations.

Fiona arranges the funds transfer, and Thor is on his way to join the team. With that done, she heads back out to rejoin the team and finds that Grunty has pulled the RPG launcher and shells from the storage locker where the left it when they originally took the facility, and has passed his EX-41 grenade launcher to Blood.

As the squads finish gearing up, they prepare for the long march down to their planned staging area just outside of Grumm.

As soon as they get out on the road, however, they spot something unusual ahead…

“Wait, what? Is that an ice cream truck?”

As the squad nears the strange vehicle and the man beside it, both Ice’s and Grunty’s eyes go wide with recognition.

“No way, man… No f’n way…”

“Hamous!?”

“You know this guy?”

“Ice! Grunty! It be long time, eh?

“Ja, indeed! Vat in ze vorld are you doing here?”

“Me make big travels! See world in truck me borrow from stranger. No save enough money to buy one. Me have much fun. Meet people!”

“But… Arulco is an island, man. How the hell did you even get here?”

Hamous cheerfully ignores the question.

“I hear that mercenary men are in Arulco. It bring back much good memory. I miss some of dese men very much. So I come to find mercenary men. See if maybe Hamous can be mercenary man again.”

“You want to join our fight?”

“It be long time. Me want to do it again. We can use truck! No more hurting feet. Me only ask for small cost.”

Jesse, Fiona, and Ira take Grunty and Ice aside.

“Who is this guy? Can he fight?”

“He ain’t gonna win any contests, but he knows how to use a gun, if that’s what you’re askin’. He worked with us as a guide in the Metavira conflict.”

“He spent some time vis AIM as vell.”

“Is he worth bringing onto the team?”

“He may not be the best soldier, but he’s a pretty drat good scout.”

“And he vorks cheap.”

The team considers for a moment. Jesse turns over his shoulder and addresses Hamous.

“We hire you, and we get the truck too, right?”

“Oh, yes. We ride in truck!”

“Any ice cream in there?”

Hamous sighs.

“No ice cream. Is very sad. Me trade all ice cream to large boat to get truck to Arulco.”

Jesse turns back to the huddle.

“Can’t win ‘em all.”

“I say we bring him on. We can always use more help.”

“Yeah. Sam was our scout, and with him off with Michael, it’ll help to have another good set of eyes around.”

Ice and Grunty nod their assent, and the group turns back to Hamous.

“Welcome aboard, Hamous.”

Ice leans over to Grunty.

“Gotta say, man, I never expected to work with him again.”

“Same here, Ice. Same here.”

With the new addition to the team, the squad continues down the road to Grumm.
(note: I stupidly forgot to have someone hop in the truck and drive it down, so OOC I’ll have to go up and grab it later.)

------------------------------

East of San Mona, Arulco
July 15, 2011 -- 1506 EST

Just outside San Mona, Michael, Sam, and Fidel study the city of San Mona, once known as the Vegas of the Caribbean. Through his binoculars, Sam has estimated no more than a single squad of Arulcan Army in the city, along with a number of armed but un-uniformed gunmen.

“Kingpin’s men, most likely.”

“You’re sure they’re at odds with the Army?”

“Certainly seemed that way when we met ‘em two weeks ago. And it doesn’t look like they’re exactly playin’ cards together now.”

“Okay. We’ll wait until dark, then—…”

He trails off, his eyes snapping to the south.

“What is it, Mikey?”

“Sam, let me see those…”

He holds out his hand for the binoculars, and Sam passes them over. Michael raises them to his eyes.

“Army patrol incoming. Looks like they’ve spotted the jeep. Get ready.”

Fidel suddenly perks up.

“Time for killing?”

“I think that’s a safe bet, Fidel.”

The trio crouches down, staying low until they can make it to the cover of the trees and tall grass. Fidel is the first to find a position, as well as the first to spot an enemy soldier. He whips a burst of fire and cuts down the approaching enemy at close range. Michael finds a good spot as well, taking out another enemy, while Sam just dives prone in the road next to the jeep and sets up his bipod. A pair of aimed bursts eliminate two foes in quick succession, while Michael drops a third.

The one-sided fighting continues, with the two machine gunners taking down the Army soldiers as soon as they get into range, and Michael picking off any stragglers with his Dragunov. With most of the enemies dead, Michael leaves his position and creeps silently forward. He sneaks close to the last enemy and takes him out with a close-range pistol shot.

With the patrol eliminated, the group once again settles in to await the arrival of their new recruit. An hour later, the beat of chopper blades signifies Thor’s arrival in Arulco.

“Greetings! I am Thor Kaufman. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

“Hey, it’s good to meet you, too. Glad you could make it out on such short notice.”

“Yes, very fast! Our last medic just died less than one day ago, and you are already here to replace him. I hope you are better at killing than he was.”

“Will there be much killing here?”

“Unfortunately, yes. The Arulcan Army is pushing hard to drive us back.”

“And so we get to kill many of them.”

“Ah, that is regrettable.”

Fidel frowns.

“You do not like killing?”

“Life is a precious thing; to steal it from someone is a sad thing.”

“But you do know that we’re in kind of a guerrilla war, here, right?”

“Oh, yes. I will pull the trigger when it is necessary, but I take no joy from it.”

“I’m looking forward to working with you, Thor.”

As day fades into night, word reaches Michael of a large force of soldiers on the outskirts of Drassen. Confident in the ability of the militia left behind to repel the attack, however, Michael decides to press ahead with their plan of a night attack on San Mona to eliminate the Army presence.

A short march later, and the foursome finds itself on the edge of the city.

Any doubts that the team might have had about Thor’s ability to do his job evaporate immediately as the German coolly takes down a blackshirt with his suppressed MP5A4. As Fidel and Sam hang back, Michael and Thor creep forward through the shadows to find a pair of enemy soldiers patrolling near a small storage shed. Coordinating their efforts, Michael takes down the first while Thor gets the second.

Advancing west down the street, Thor catches a greenshirt as he emerges from an opening in the bushes beside the road with a round to the chest. Unfortunately, the target had been standing in the line of sight of an elite blackshirt, who is now alerted to the infiltration. Thor fires a shot, but though it hits, it does not drop the soldier, who disappears back behind the bushes.

From the north side of the street, another greenshirt comes to investigate the noise and is dropped with a single round from Michael’s pistol. A moment later, Michael turns and fires again as the injured blackshirt advances up the road towards them.

Thor turns off the road and into a small resort area with a handful of little bungalows, and almost immediately spots a pair of soldiers standing in the center of the courtyard. Shaking his head at the unfortunate need to kill these two men, Thor pulls the pin off a hand grenade and lobs it at their feet.

Though the grenade is perfectly placed, the resulting damage does not kill the two men. Michael, however, does, sliding up beside Thor and finishing them with a pair of pistol shots. Michael presses forward and finds the last target hiding behind a small storage shed. He finishes the battle with little ceremony.

Their enemies dispatched, Michael and the team heads for the local watering hole.

“No joke, Mike? That’s what it’s called? ‘The Watering Hole’?”

“That’s what it says on the sign.”

“Huh. Think we’re gonna find anyone who can direct us to Kingpin?”

“That’s the idea.”

The foursome enters the bar and immediately attracts the eye of every patron. One in particular, an unkempt-looking fellow with a scraggly beard and bloodshot eyes, rises and approaches Michael.

“You look a wee bit familiar. Did I not run into ya in me gun running days?”

“I don’t think so.”

“I’m not so sure about that, friend. I’ve got a good eye for faces, and yours is one I remember, I’m sure. Back in Ireland, I think.”

“I’m afraid you must—…”

“McBride! Michael McBride! And don’t even try to deny it!”

Michael’s hand strays to the butt of his pistol, but Mickey waves him away.

“Oh, now, there’s no need for that, then, is there? What’s the point of holdin’ a grudge, I say, when the very folk worthy of a holdin’ a grudge against make the best business partners?”

“And what business is it that you’re in these days, Mr. O’Brien?”

Mickey frowns.

“What the hell was that, then? Your American accent needs a little work, friend. Anyways, I’m here on business, you know. Animals and their parts. The Asians and bloody collectors’ll pay a fortune for the rare gems of the animal kingdom. Did you know that Bloodcat teeth get ground up and used as some kind of a sex potion in China?”

“I did not know that.”

“It’s true! So I’ll tell you something, Mr. McBride. When you’re out there wandering around the country, shootin’ down the Queen’s men, if you happen to bag yourself a Bloodcat, why don’t you bring those bits’n’pieces to me, and I’ll give you a fair price for ‘em.”

“I’ll be sure to keep that in mind.”

“Please do. Until then, my friend.”

Michael turns away and steps up to the bar to find Sam already there, a beer on the bar in front of him.

“You know, this local brew’s not so bad, Mikey. You should try one.”

“And very reasonably priced!”

“I’m sure it’s a bargain at any price. But what I’m looking for is information.”

“Also very reasonably priced.”

Michael pauses, then pulls a $50 from his pocket and slides it across the bar.

“Tell me about Kingpin.”

Alberto de Santos’ face turns serious, and he lowers his voice.

“Why do you want to know about de Kingpin?”

“Professional curiosity.”

De Santos shakes his head and pushes the money back across the bar. His eyes dart nervously around the bar.

“I am sorry. I cannot help you. Take back de money, please.”

Michael stares appraisingly at Alberto before tapping the $50.

“That’s too bad. But I appreciate the décor of your bar, so I’d like you to keep this money. In fact—…”

Michael reaches into his pocket and pulls out another $50.

“I like it so much, I’m going to give you more money.”

“What? No, please… If de Kingpin’s men see you giving me money, dey will kill me…”

“Alberto, I don’t want that to happen. But unless you give me a little something I can work with, I’m just going to have to keep piling money up on this bar.”

“Look… please! Okay! Please, tomorrow morning, talk to Angel in the leather shop next door. He will help you. He has nothing left to lose.”

Michael nods at Alberto, then scoops up the money and tucks it back into his pocket.

“I’ll make sure this gets to you one way or another.”

“Please, just go before Kingpin’s men get more suspicious!”

With a lead to follow up on, Michael and the crew leave the bar and head west into another enemy-occupied area of town.

Again, contact is made almost immediately, and as before, it is Thor who takes the first shots. It takes three hollow-points to do enough damage to drop the blackshirt through his helmet. Michael drops a second soldier right afterwards, and with the immediate threats taken care of, the team advances towards the street. They find another enemy standing sentry at the crossroads, and Thor silently drops him.

Sam and Fidel set up at the crossroads, going prone and deploying their machine guns to cover the approaches. Sam almost immediately finds a target, opening up on a blackshirt standing in a pool of light outside of a building down the street. Fidel follows suit a moment later, dropping an enemy to the north. The unmuffled sound of their machine gun fire echoes through San Mona, alerting all of the Queen’s men to the location of the attackers.

This, however, is right in line with the team’s plan as Michael and Thor set up in position to ambush any enemies who might come to investigate the gunfire.

Michael does not have to wait long. Moments later, a blackshirt appears right at the corner where Michael is concealed, and a quick double-tap drops him. Thor finds two targets of his own and takes them out. Hearing something behind him, Michael turns, advances, and shoots down another enemy soldier.

With a momentary quiet descending, Michael and Thor advance to try and flush out the remaining enemies. Michael spots one inside the large local bar, and Thor takes up position at the window to take him out. He does so with a quick three-round burst.

Michael and Thor advance cautiously into the bar, and Thor catches sight of movement in the back corner of the darkened restaurant room. Moving in with his pistol up, Michael catches the final blackshirt with a pair of AET rounds to the head, finishing the fight.

“Evenin’, gents. I’d be hopin’ to run into you.”

“What is it with the Irish in this town?”

“I’m sorry?”

“It’s just that we just met a Mickey O’Brien at The Watering Hole on the other side of town.”

“Mickey? That skeezy bastard gives me whole island a bad name. Don’t let him turn ya sour on legitimate businessmen like meself.”

“And what exactly have you got to offer?”

“D’ye see anything ye like?

“I think we’re pretty well set on explosions at the moment, but I’m pretty sure we’ll be in the market again soon enough.”

“That’s a pity, but with the way your fight against the Queen is goin’, I can’t say I’ve got much cause to be upset.”

“You’ve got a horse in this race?”

“Oh, like any good Irishman, I’m opposed to tyranny in all its forms. That’s why I’m here, offerin’ me services to you, instead of in Meduna, offerin’ ‘em to the Queen.”

“Well, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Devin.”

“And a pleasure to meet you. And if you find yourselves in need of a little more kaboom, you know where to find me.”

“We’ll keep that in mind.”

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Not that you need more bombs but, do you have any plans on hiring Devin as a merc?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Not that you need more bombs but, do you have any plans on hiring Devin as a merc?

Nonsense. You always need more bombs.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Mister Bates posted:

Nonsense. You always need more bombs.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

So is that a yes?

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

So is that a yes?

It's still too early in the game to recruit him now, but yeah, he'll probably find his way onto the team at some point.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

This LP has made me decide to try Wildfire 1.13. There are way too many items.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I didn't even know you could recruit devin

It is a bit much for the items.. but I like it. The inner loot whore in me loves upgrading guns as I go and trying to fit all the attachments I can.

Also, adding to the recommendation that you ditch starting guns on your IMP merc(s) and go for pistols at the start. Makes for a much more interesting early game.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
You could build yourself a pretty large roster with just people recruited from Arulco. Thought about doing a playthrough with a limitation of only using items and hiring mercs I found but never got around to it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is there much point in setting up explosive traps? Mines and such? I thought I saw a few of those were for sale.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Glazius posted:

So is there much point in setting up explosive traps? Mines and such? I thought I saw a few of those were for sale.

I haven't played through the next segment yet, but if all goes as planned, you should see the glorious effect of some planted explosives in the next mission.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Drakenel posted:

I didn't even know you could recruit devin

Yeah, he's pretty great, except that he hates Buns (who rules) and his buddies are also explosives experts (which I find redundant.) I always thought you had to ask with somebody who had high leadership, but maybe it's progress dependent? I don't know, because I usually don't pick him up until later. He's the best way to get explosives early on, and I'd rather have too many bombs than too many bombers.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Neat Lp you got going here FiddlersThree!

Ja2 is probably the game i have played the most in my life. Been with it since its release and all through the goodnes of the various mods.
AIMNAS is one of my favourites mostly for the truckload of things it has.

Going with the Burn Notice theme is a cool idea. I have watched most of the show, though i was not a huge fan. It was just on when i watched Tv.
But i liked the characters and the plot was good enough to keep me watching.
It is currently running again in germany as i discovered this week, and it seem to be newer episodes.

Now the main point of my post is to let you know of something which you may have not heard.
Seeing as explosives are now a thing in the Lp i want to mention that there is a new feature, namely tripwires.
Big whoop, one might think but wait.

You can use tripwires to set up linked explosives networks with complex hierarchies and all that jive!
Just look over here
Bearspit thread
It should be included in Tais current SCI for the unstable SVN, though i would understand if you would not want to switch mid Lp. Saves might get wonky or whatever.
Still its all hells of awesome.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I wish it were possible to arm bombs without placing them.
Well arent you a lucky camper, because now you can!
Though i am not sure if it is allready in the SVN trunk.
Bearspit thread

Despite how valuable that my be for you FiddlersThree, i think most of the folks reading along might enjoy this. As i dont think we have many Bearspit members around on SA, that recent development might have gone past some people.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Tin Tim posted:

tripwires

:stare: Holy crap, that's awesome! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to try and install the update over the LP because if I lost the save I'd probably break my computer in half, but I'll definitely be playing with tripwires as soon as I finish off the LP (whenever that is).

Just as a quick note, I probably won't be able to get an update out this week because busy, but I should be back on track next week.

Thanks much for pointing out the kickass update, Tin Tim!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Neat Lp you got going here FiddlersThree!

Ja2 is probably the game i have played the most in my life. Been with it since its release and all through the goodnes of the various mods.
AIMNAS is one of my favourites mostly for the truckload of things it has.

Going with the Burn Notice theme is a cool idea. I have watched most of the show, though i was not a huge fan. It was just on when i watched Tv.
But i liked the characters and the plot was good enough to keep me watching.
It is currently running again in germany as i discovered this week, and it seem to be newer episodes.

Now the main point of my post is to let you know of something which you may have not heard.
Seeing as explosives are now a thing in the Lp i want to mention that there is a new feature, namely tripwires.
Big whoop, one might think but wait.

You can use tripwires to set up linked explosives networks with complex hierarchies and all that jive!
Just look over here
Bearspit thread
It should be included in Tais current SCI for the unstable SVN, though i would understand if you would not want to switch mid Lp. Saves might get wonky or whatever.
Still its all hells of awesome.

Well arent you a lucky camper, because now you can!
Though i am not sure if it is allready in the SVN trunk.
Bearspit thread

Despite how valuable that my be for you FiddlersThree, i think most of the folks reading along might enjoy this. As i dont think we have many Bearspit members around on SA, that recent development might have gone past some people.

I don't go on Bearspit as much as I should, so thanks for the info, TinTim. This is going to be so awesome!

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger

FiddlersThree posted:

:stare: Holy crap, that's awesome! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to try and install the update over the LP because if I lost the save I'd probably break my computer in half, but I'll definitely be playing with tripwires as soon as I finish off the LP (whenever that is).

Just as a quick note, I probably won't be able to get an update out this week because busy, but I should be back on track next week.

Thanks much for pointing out the kickass update, Tin Tim!

Copy the whole game directory and then try it out, not exactly a space saver but it's pretty painless.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

membranoid posted:

Copy the whole game directory and then try it out, not exactly a space saver but it's pretty painless.

I did this to try out the AIMNAS mod and stuff. It's not exactly, y'know, subtle or anything. But it works.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

SpookyLizard posted:

I did this to try out the AIMNAS mod and stuff. It's not exactly, y'know, subtle or anything. But it works.

Yeah, I'm inclined to try it out, but I don't that I'll actually be using it in the LP. I'd like to just keep the one mod for simplicity's sake (which is the same reason I haven't updated to the newest version of AIMNAS). Still, I do look forward to trying it out.

In update news, sorry it's been so long! Things are finally settling back down, though, and I should be getting back to a 1-2 updates-per-week schedule. The next section is played through, and the screenshots and gifs have been compiled and uploaded; all I need to do is write it up.

Maybe tomorrow?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

membranoid posted:

Not to derail this into a tech chat but my current JA parent folder weighs in at 58,2 GB. :stare:

Eagerly awaiting the next update!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Not to derail this into a tech chat but my current JA parent folder weighs in at 58,2 GB. :stare:

Eagerly awaiting the next update!

I don't want to derail this either but is that where your store your porn or are you just really really really into JA2?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I don't want to derail this either but is that where your store your porn or are you just really really really into JA2?
It´s the latter. Thirteen different instals because i dont want to set stuff up everytime i feel like playing a particular mod. I usually play a certain mod for a month or so and then switch to another. And to be fair, there are some test builds for mods which are still in development in there.
I didn´t even realise it was that big until now, and i even deleted some instals recently. It is like a third of the data volume i currently have on my disk.
Kind of a strange revelation.

Also who keeps porn on their computer these days when it is all over the internet?
:)

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 16, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

It´s the latter. Thirteen different instals because i dont want to set stuff up everytime i feel like playing a particular mod. I usually play a certain mod for a month or so and then switch to another. And to be fair, there are some test builds for mods which are still in development in there.
I didn´t even realise it was that big until now, and i even deleted some instals recently. It is like a third of the data volume i currently have on my disk.
Kind of a strange revelation.

Also who keeps porn on their computer these days when it is all over the internet?
:)

I didn't think that would take up that much space. I thought JA2 + 1.13 was like, 750MB, tops.

Also people who enjoy quality video, do. :colbert:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I didn't think that would take up that much space. I thought JA2 + 1.13 was like, 750MB, tops.

Also people who enjoy quality video, do. :colbert:

With the current state of 1.13 you can double that number and then slap on some more depending on each mod.
I really have to clean that folder up though, some stuff is outdated/redundant. I guess it kinda kept growing.

Edit: After cleaning it is down to around 30Gb. That´s a bit better. :v:
There is a more elegant solution for managing different mods, but that´s tech chat.

Also that last sentence is a great hook for a truckload of horrible jokes/responses, so lets stop the derail right here.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 16, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

With the current state of 1.13 you can double that number and then slap on some more depending on each mod. I really have to clean that folder up though, some stuff is outdated/redundant. I guess it kinda kept growing.

Edit: After cleaning it is down to around 30Gb. That´s a bit better. :v:
There is a more elegant solution for managing different mods, but that´s tech chat.

Also that last sentence is a great hook for a truckload of horrible jokes/responses, so lets stop the derail right here.

I installed the AIMNAS mod this LP uses and then I didn't have my 'skip boring beginning bits' saves that I have so I don't have to go to Omerta or take Drassen with a dirt filled saturday night special. And trying to do the same kinda killed my interest some and then I started playing 7.62.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I installed the AIMNAS mod this LP uses and then I didn't have my 'skip boring beginning bits' saves that I have so I don't have to go to Omerta or take Drassen with a dirt filled saturday night special. And trying to do the same kinda killed my interest some and then I started playing 7.62.

I can really understand where you´re comming from. It is pretty boring to do that over and over. I wish there was a way to skip the Omerta sequence at least.
But the game does give you options to spice it up.
I personally have changed my way in so far that i take Chitzena first to gear up a bit. Then i take Drassen and brace myself for the giant gently caress all counterattack.
One could even edit the starting loadouts via xml or place a crate with gear in the dropsector with the map editor.
1.13 is all about flexibility, and while it takes some learning it is not really rocket science.

And dont get me started on 7,62, it has a very special place in my heart.
The thread would never get back on rails! :ohdear:

• Locked thread