Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

How do you know they didn't, and you just didn't catch all of them? :v:

Haha, point! I'm seeing it again soon so :v:

BizarroAzrael posted:

I want to say how much I liked the costume, seemed like something easy to get wrong but it both reproduced the established look and made it work on screen. Not just that it replicated the pattern of the comic outfit into something that looks like it offers actual protection, but just that it was so grubby, plus the expressive eyes. I am genuinely interested in how they did that, I assume the actual mask had regular eye holes and the white lenses were added in post?

Yeah, I think the eyes were tweaked in post production. I can't remember where I read that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Phylodox posted:

John Slattery for Cable?

Would Deadpool call him Roger or Howard?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I think the eyes were tweaked in post production. I can't remember where I read that though.

Behind the scenes shows he has a non-moving mask for wide shots, and in closeups where he needs to be expressive they use this digital mask.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I wish they had animated the mouth too. Not in every scene but a couple of times when he's having big reactions to things.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BizarroAzrael posted:

I want to say how much I liked the costume, seemed like something easy to get wrong but it both reproduced the established look and made it work on screen. Not just that it replicated the pattern of the comic outfit into something that looks like it offers actual protection, but just that it was so grubby, plus the expressive eyes. I am genuinely interested in how they did that, I assume the actual mask had regular eye holes and the white lenses were added in post?

Reynolds talks about the costume a bit in this video, starting at 4:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjzuKLHyGwE

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, I'd kill for the sequel to take after something like Police Squad! and stuff hundreds of stupid loving jokes into every scene so you can't catch all of them.

Xenomrph posted:

How do you know they didn't, and you just didn't catch all of them? :v:

In that video I just posted Reynolds says there's over 100 easter eggs in the movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really wish we had more Blind Al, she was in the movie for maybe 2 minutes but that actress was great

khy
Aug 15, 2005

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/deadpool-and-the-rise-of-comic-heteroflexibility.html

:psyduck:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tim Miller has said this was something they were definitely going for, which goes back to Fabian Nicieza's idea of Deadpool as pansexual.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

It seriously is one of the best costumes ever made. It's eerie how comic-book the gloves and the hood manage to be, to say nothing of the eyes. There were so many times when I was just like drat, that pose right there is straight out of a comic book.

Also Ryan Reynolds kept the costume and has forced Fox to never allow anybody but him to be in the costume doing anything. Because we were on that train when he got wind of it. He saved us from ourselves (Fox Marketing). We had already filmed some Australian douche nozzle making bad jokes in a costume replica and he had that footage destroyed. He put his foot down hard and fast and I respect the intelligence of the decision. Like, no. NO unfunny gently caress is going to put this costume on and put this character's brand in danger after I just spent 11 loving years building it up.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think we all know who can play Cable.

Big Sexy himself.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

It kinda works.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
It really doesn't.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Gavok posted:

Then there's his frenemy connections with Taskmaster and Bullseye, who are both off-limits. As for other X-Men villains, he has enough history with Juggernaut and Sabretooth that they could easily appear.

How come Taskmaster is considered off-limits? I'm guessing rights/licensing reasons? He's one of my favorite characters, and I was hoping he'd be in the movie to help Deadpool mess stuff up.

NowonSA posted:

Did anyone hate the movie after seeing it or have major complaints? I'd like to hear about it, if so.

Honestly, about maybe two-thirds of the way through the movie, I just kind of, I dunno, got tired of it. I thought some of the gags and jokes went on too long or were 'cheekily' over-explained. Kind of like with like, the last ten years of the Simpsons, where they'll do a joke or a sight gag, then somebody deliberately calls attention to it. I know it's kind of Deadpool's 'thing', but it started getting a bit grating to me.

The whole Wade/Vanessa romance fell flat to me, and the whole 'I need to get revenge and rescue my woman!' plot is a dime a dozen in action movies. I would have really liked more if they gave more time to Weasel and Blind Al (and even the cab driver); for supporting characters, I thought they were really underused.

Also, the woman sitting next to me in the theater guffawed loudly at *every. single. thing*, so that didn't really help.

Not saying I out and out hated it. I thought it was okay, but just kinda started losing it's fun and charm to me toward the end.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 16, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LadyPictureShow posted:

How come Taskmaster is considered off-limits? I'm guessing rights/licensing reasons?

He was introduced in an Avengers comic so I guess that makes him part of the Avengers licence.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

kiimo posted:

It seriously is one of the best costumes ever made. It's eerie how comic-book the gloves and the hood manage to be, to say nothing of the eyes. There were so many times when I was just like drat, that pose right there is straight out of a comic book.

Also Ryan Reynolds kept the costume and has forced Fox to never allow anybody but him to be in the costume doing anything. Because we were on that train when he got wind of it. He saved us from ourselves (Fox Marketing). We had already filmed some Australian douche nozzle making bad jokes in a costume replica and he had that footage destroyed. He put his foot down hard and fast and I respect the intelligence of the decision. Like, no. NO unfunny gently caress is going to put this costume on and put this character's brand in danger after I just spent 11 loving years building it up.

Was the Australian guy part of the marketing plan for Australia, or just in general? I'm curious. Also, any insights about Deadpool marketing you feel like sharing would be great.

I second that it's a great costume, in particular the eyes and poofy hood, and I liked that we got to see the process behind it as he slowly escalated to the full costume in his murder montage. I kind of cringed at the red suit/brown pants line/joke, since it's an old joke and it's been in the marketing since the leaked trailer, but it really helped that moment when he's popped full of lead while wearing a white hoodie pop.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what improvements they make to it both his suit and his equipment in the sequel. Comics Deadpool has had access to all kinds of sci-fi comic gadgets after all, most famously a teleportation belt. You can write all sorts of rad teleportation gags, and it's been one of the coolest powers in comic book movies ever since X-men 2. I can easily see teleporting Deadpool as the equivalent of Quicksilver from Days of Future Past: A nice addition that gives you some of the most memorable moments. Cable's introduction gives you a fairly ready-made way for Deadpool to gain access to teleport tech too, though who knows if they'll go for a full Bodyslide by two situation.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was introduced in an Avengers comic so I guess that makes him part of the Avengers licence.

Yeah, Taskie is much more of a general marvel character than an x-men specific character, though most of his finest stuff in modern history has been Deadpool related. It's a drat shame because his whole gimmick is copying the fighting abilities of others (particularly heroes) and using their equipment, so if Fox could get him he could fight using some version of various Marvel hero equipment (Cap's shield, Spidey's web shooters, Hawkeye's bow, etc.). Of course, that's a big reason it won't happen. It would be fun if the two sides could work out a trade of characters that one side wants and the other side doesn't really have plans for.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 16, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The sequel should have Sabertooth and lift that scene from that Wolverine comic where he beats him up and then flies off in a jetpack.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The one change I'd like to see in the costume is the eyes. Again, it's down to it being part of the run I'm most familiar with (Posehn/Duggan), but I dig the yellow, kinda gross looking eyes over the blank white ones.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

given that it falls in line with the game's trajectory of Cable teaming with Deadpool, this seems like the best opportunity to bring in Mr. Sinister as an X-Force or sequel baddie. He's a ridiculous looking gently caress who hasn't been utilized yet plus has obvious connections to the X-Men as a top-tier villain. IF they actually had the balls to go all-out with Mr. Sinister's incredible appearance it'd be amazing.

Another great option to tie in with the Weapon X stuff: Omega Red, another guy who hasn't been brought in yet.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Another great option to tie in with the Weapon X stuff: Omega Red, another guy who hasn't been brought in yet.

The bed wetter?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

MinibarMatchman posted:

given that it falls in line with the game's trajectory of Cable teaming with Deadpool, this seems like the best opportunity to bring in Mr. Sinister as an X-Force or sequel baddie. He's a ridiculous looking gently caress who hasn't been utilized yet plus has obvious connections to the X-Men as a top-tier villain. IF they actually had the balls to go all-out with Mr. Sinister's incredible appearance it'd be amazing.

Ah, yeah good call with SInister, he's actually the perfect fit for main X-force bad guy that I totally forgot about until now. He's had some links to Apocalypse in the comics as well I believe, so an easy plot to draw in mainstream X-men fans could be him trying to revive Apocalypse after his defeat in the upcoming movie.

Omega-red is probably best used as a henchman, although him as the main bad guy of Deadpool 2 and Deadpool making CONSTANT references to Spider-man 2 whenever he meets or fights him would have me laughing nonstop. Fantomex may be even better, he's also a product of the broader "Weapon" programs who has a pretty diverse powerset. In simplest terms: potent illlusions, really good at fighting and multiple brains functioning at once, among other powers that either more minor or somehow weirder than "has 3 brains." Illusion powers make it easy to set Deadpool and Cable up against each other, and you could portray him as someone who got his powers from the same people (or sort of people) who gave Deadpool his, and then either stayed in the organization like Ajax and rose up the ranks because he's not a drat chump like he was, or escaped like Deadpool but became a super-evil rear end in a top hat instead. He's also worked with Deadpool as a member of X-force, but I think the character has enough potential/parallels to Deadpool (hard to imagine he'd be presented as sane with 3 brains, although in the comics he seemed to mostly have his poo poo together) to work as the bad guy. Hell, if you want to show growth across the two movies you can have Deadpool spare him in the end and recruit him to X-force, maybe with a gag about how he only killed the 1 (or 2) evil brains and not all of them, so... progress.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really don't think Wade not being totally hetero was that much of a thing. Especially because when he DOES get pegged he's all like "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO" y'know just so we know he's not actually into that, no homo yo

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I really don't think Wade not being totally hetero was that much of a thing. Especially because when he DOES get pegged he's all like "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO" y'know just so we know he's not actually into that, no homo yo

His butthole didn't have a healing factor then. :science:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Did Deadpool/Wade have a fascination with Unicorns, or was that masturbation scene added by the Reynolds/Miller combo?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

Er... huh? He's not all like "no no no no," he just grunts and strains a bit, because he is having a large object go up his poop chute.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

HughGRect posted:

Did Deadpool/Wade have a fascination with Unicorns, or was that masturbation scene added by the Reynolds/Miller combo?

I'm pretty sure the unicorn was a thing before the movie, but naturally all Google searches about it turn up results asking about the scene in the movie now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Er... huh? He's not all like "no no no no," he just grunts and strains a bit, because he is having a large object go up his poop chute.

He says No a bunch of times.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was just in a global marketing meeting with everyone where we all decided that we should all just retire as it's only going to be downhill from here. There's a very real chance for 400m domestic and 350 intl. We probably lost 20m when China banned it but still. Exit polls showed 93% of people saying they'd see it again. That's...astounding.

Fox has had the #1 movie 6 weeks in a row now which is a record for multiple movies. Not trying to like, pat my our own back, a lot of it is luck. The Zoolander team has to be having a pretty bad morning, but really no movie is tracking right now outside of Deadpool, our own movies included. How many of you are excited about Eddie the Eagle? *crickets*.

That's a good movie, btw. This thing is a black hole socially and really just a phenomenon at this point.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

He says No a bunch of times.

It's less "NONONONONO" and more "Nope...ngh...nope, nope..."

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
DEADPOOL opened with $152.19M over the 4-day weekend, official figures.

I honestly thought that would be the box office total if it went well, not just the opening bloody weekend.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

DEADPOOL opened with $152.19M over the 4-day weekend, official figures.

I honestly thought that would be the box office total if it went well, not just the opening bloody weekend.

Domestically. 284 total from last I checked.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

kiimo posted:

There's a very real chance for 400m domestic and 350 intl.

That is utterly astounding. 13 times its budget in sales?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah and just saying but East Coast kids have that weird winter break thing coming up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I wonder what effect is word-of-mouth going to have in the next few weeks? Are sales going to stay strong?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
35 on the all time R-Rated US chart.... yeah there has to be a better than even money chance it'll become the top R-Rated movie US.

quote:

There's a very real chance for 400m domestic and 350 intl.

If had said that a week ago, everyone would have said you were insane, no R-Rated movie would ever do that let alone a R-Rated comic book character.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 16, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This time last week we were cheers-ing each other when tracking said it could push 65m for President's Day weekend.

edit: I hope this doesn't start to sound insufferable or braggy and I acknowledge Ryan Reynolds is 100% the #1 guy to receive accolades on the success of this film but I thought this was cool. Gettin drunk on the Fox lot tonight...

quote:

Dear Team:

We made history this weekend! ***** and I could not be prouder of each and every one of you. In addition to having the biggest opening weekend EVER for an R-rated movie, DEADPOOL smashed all kinds of records. It is the biggest domestic February debut in industry history, but more importantly, it is the biggest opening weekend ever for 20th Century Fox! This was a true global effort, and it performed at extraordinary levels all over the planet, including in Russia, where it was the biggest opening weekend of any film in history, just one of its many international market achievements.

Our colleagues in production, marketing and distribution each had a unique and extraordinary contribution to this weekend's success. Together you exceeded all expectations and truly raised the bar within the industry. We are grateful for the hard work and countless hours your teams put in. You made us all heroes once again. Thank you.

We wanted to find a way to convey our appreciation to the many people whose talent and hard work resulted in this weekend's remarkable box office success. Please join ***** and me tonight at 6:00PM in the Commissary for margaritas and chimichangas to celebrate DEADPOOL's success.
Looking forward to seeing you there!

***** and *****

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 16, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kiimo posted:

This time last week we were cheers-ing each other when tracking said it could push 65m for President's Day weekend.

edit: I hope this doesn't start to sound insufferable or braggy and I acknowledge Ryan Reynolds is 100% the #1 guy to receive accolades on the success of this film but I thought this was cool. Gettin drunk on the Fox lot tonight...

Yeah, I was just about to ask, is it gonna be like Bacchanal over there tonight? Masquerade masks, body paint, absinthe, all that poo poo?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Just got back from Cinema. Really good film, definitely better than Prometheus, Gravity and all the Hobbit movies, even the animated Hobbit movies.

Also it was a 15 in England, did poo poo get cut out over here?

Escobarbarian posted:

I actually liked that bit, because it shows he was willing to try, and that's all that matters.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, I was just about to ask, is it gonna be like Bacchanal over there tonight? Masquerade masks, body paint, absinthe, all that poo poo?

Probably will be an International Women's Day Room.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

BizarroAzrael posted:

Probably, or maybe they just painted his face green and put a bunch of 3d motion capture markers up his nose. I liked it, but it was a bit jarring how badly animated they eyebrows were sometimes. Any time I wasn't noticing it was CGI plastered on, it was doing it's job well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

kiimo posted:

Hahaha thanks for making us a shitload of money, team! Enjoy some sugary alcohol drinks and authentic cuisine on our behalf!

• Locked thread