Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MF_James posted:

That seems about right from what I've heard from other guys. I'm actually rolling 21.5kish with food buffs, but I have not had much luck in vet arena, still haven't completed it :(

Honestly, that specific arena feels like bullshit. It's extremely luck based whether you take a poo poo ton of damage.

There's a ton of poo poo stacked against you that can just randomly do massive damage with little chance to stop it. If you're on the wrong side of the arena or stunned when one of the archers spawn you can get tagged for 14K HP or more. If the shrooms decide to spawn right on top of you you're going to eat the poison debuff for massive damage since they can explode before you can move away. And maybe it was a bug but when I last did it the Argonian didn't telegraph the deathblow sometimes.

I guess i'll just slog through it eventually. Good to know I have the requisite health at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I'm curious what sets people are rolling right now as stamsorcs?

My gear atm is kind of garbage, I just built a 160cp hundings set which is ok, and I'm rolling 3pc sith jewelry for HP until I get something better. I was trying to farm spriggan's for the 5pc but dear god, it's painful, just GETTING spriggan's to drop is an exercise in frustration and then actually getting divines on it is even worse, so I've given up on that, but I can't even find any decent pieces to buy.

Also, I'm running dw/bow, and I'm curious what 1handers people use for PvE (sword/axe/mace) and what weapon enchants? Currently I've got a 3kish disease on the bow, and am running dual stam absorbs on the onehanders, but I think I'm going to re-enchant one weapon to a damage enchant because I think double absorb is too much at this point.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I get a guild invite? Handle is @Kiyroh

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Blast of Confetti posted:

Anything in the cash shop that's incredibly useful? Got Gold Edition and ESO Plus so that's all the DLC areas unlocked

The Adventurer Pack that lets you use any race with any faction is the only thing that leaps out as a cash shop exclusive account upgrade imo. And even that's kind of meaningless now unless you want to PvP with a particular group of people.

Oh yeah, and the DLCs.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 14, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Archonex posted:

Help me with Maelstrom Arena
Ok so now's a good time to discuss Maelstrom Arena, considering that I've run it 20+ times in the past week and getting garbage gear. Keep in mind that this walkthrough/guide/hand-holding applies mainly to Veteran Maelstrom Arena, but still applies to a lesser degree to Normal mode (also lol if you can't do normal)

Key Points:
  • Positioning is important. The fastest way to improve is to learn where each spawn point is, reducing the amount of time it takes to zero in on a mob and kill it. Once you memorize the locations, it becomes a matter of laying down some AoEs on one of the spawn points while focusing on another.
  • USE THE SIGILS. UNLESS you are attempting to place on the leaderboard (and if you're reading this, you are definitely not placing), or attempting a Flawless Conqueror run (which again, probably isn't happening if you're reading this), you should be using the sigils as you need them. As you continually beat the arena over and over again, your reliance on them will decrease. But when starting out, USE THEM.
  • Veteran Maelstrom Arena is a test, of both your patience and your knowledge of the class/race combo you are running. Which is why quite a few progression guilds in the game use the Stormproof (cheevo for completing vMA) as a measuring stick for how well you might do in a group setting. If you understand the strengths and weaknesses of your class/race combo, you are more prepared to do endgame content than Joe Superstar DPS, and vMA proves that.
  • To add to the above, each class combo is different when running the arena. I can have Flawless runs on my stamsorc all day, but if I even try to use the same tactics on a magblade, I am not going to get very far.
  • vMA is a money sink. You will need potions, and if you're dying a lot, gold to repair your armors. Do not attempt Veteran Maelstrom Arena if you're not prepared to lose a lot of money.

Ok, on to the stages:

Stage 1 - Vale of the Surreal
  • This is the easiest of the stages, no real mechanics to adhere to. If you're having trouble here, you need to step back and re-evaluate your setup.
  • Champion: Maxus the Many - Again, a pretty simple boss. Burn him down as quickly as you can. If you can't burn him down quickly, make sure to eliminate his add spawns ASAP. When he recalls them, any health they have will transfer over to him.

Stage 2 - Seht's Balcony
  • Here is where the Arena begins weeding out the dumbasses from the non-idiots. This stage is a constant barrage of damage from the spinning blades circling the arena constantly. You can stop them by pulling the levers on the outer edges.
  • The blades on the outermost and innermost tracks deal straight damage, while the blades that travel on the two inner tracks not only deal direct damage, but apply a damage over time effect on your character. Self-heals and self-sustain are key here.
  • Champion: Centurion Trio - These 3 bosses work on a rotation. As you get one down to a threshold of health, they pop an invulnerable damage shield while another one begins its assault. Move between them as quickly as you can.

Stage 3 - Drome of Toxic Shock
  • WATCH THE WATER HERE. The water surrounding the 3 mini-islands will occasionally electrify, and will kill you very quickly if you're dumb enough to stay in it.
  • Avoid the AoEs that randomly spawn.
  • The stranglers that spawn on the outer edges of the arena hit you with a projectile that applies a heavy snare. Prioritize these adds to avoid it.
  • When possible, fight in the green circle that spawns occasionally. It heals you.
  • Champion: Lamia Queen - No real strategy here other than burning down quickly and avoiding her frontal cone AoE, which stuns you if you're caught in it. Rotate between adds/strangler and boss as appropriate.

Stage 4 - Seht's Flywheel
  • The Clockwork Sentries here will make a dash for the center. Kill them before they get there, otherwise they erect a tough damage shield that will make taking them out difficult. While they're in the center, they occasionally shoot out high damage lightning bolts.
  • The humanoid enemies in this stage always spawn with CC immunity, so be wary of them.
  • Prioritize the named adds in each round. They have a ton of CC and they're not afraid to use it.
  • Champion: The Control Guardian - This fight is almost identical to the Engine Guardian encounter from Darkshade Caverns II. It's rotation is very easy to learn (lightning/fire/lightning/fire). During lightning phase, stay directly under the Guardian and deal out as much damage as possible. When the green circle disappears, immediately distance yourself from the Guardian and begin attacking it from range while avoiding the fireball AoEs (which I might add, are not as forgiving as the ones from DC II). If you have no ranged attacks, focus on killing the adds that spawn in. Repeat rotation as necessary.

Stage 5 - The Rink of Frozen Blood
  • Ok, THIS is the stage that truly separates the poopsockers from the pubbies. I'm pretty sure Rich Lambert could whip up one of his fancy little idiot-charts detailing how many pubbies and casuals have ragequit vMA during this stage and it would outshine every other stage. If you can survive this stage without punching your monitor/throwing your keyboard/eating your controller, you can pretty much make it the rest of the way. It's probably also the stage with the most deaths.
  • Again, WATCH THE WATER. It doesn't electrify, it deals direct damage and snares you. Once again, DO NOT FIGHT IN THE WATER. You are an idiot if you do.
  • Kill the Troll Breakers that spawn IMMEDIATELY. If they manage to make it to an ice platform and break it, that platform is gone for the rest of the round or until you die. Bash them and kill them asap.
  • The Haste, Defense, and Healing sigils are your friends here. Each round is guaranteed to have some ranged enemies, which are quickly countered with the Defense sigil, leaving you the close ranged enemies to worry about.
  • Champion: Matriarch Runa - This boss is particularly tricky as she has a ton of CC (a knockback and an area-wide fear). Burn her as fast as possible. She has 3 phases where whenever each one ends, she enrages and breaks one of the platforms, which is an instant kill if you're caught in it. Her enrage is marked by her glowing red and taking zero damage, so as soon as you see it, immediately move to the next platform. Whenever a platform breaks, it spawns a Nereid that can kill you if you're not paying attention. Oh and don't forget the Troll Breakers either.

Stage 6 - The Spiral Shadows
  • Notice the 5 totems around the arena? Yeah you're gonna need them. Whenever you see a swarm of spiders, head for the totem that's glowing to ward them off.
  • Occasionally a Spider will spawn in whose only objective is to web up the totems. Do not let it do so.
  • Occasionally a Hoarvor will spawn that when killed, it'll either explode if near a totem that's webbed, removing the webbing from it; or it will drop a venom grenade that can be used to apply a debuff to enemies in it's AoE or can also be thrown at webbed totem, immediately unwebbing it.
  • If you manage to unweb all 5 totems, there will be an area-wide stun applied to all monsters (bosses included) for 10 seconds. This is especially important in the final round.
  • Mobility is key here. The arena occasionally erupts into a lightning storm that drops AoEs everywhere randomly, which can kill you if you're not careful.
  • Champion: Champion of Atrocity - Basically an over-glorified Spider Daedra, its power increases based on the number of totems that are webbed. Occasionally she will enrage, causing all of your attacks to deal very little damage. Speed is key here, unweb the totems as quickly as possible and burn her down as much as you can during the stun phase. Avoid the very obviously telegraphed AoE from here and you're golden.

Stage 7 - Vault of Umbrage
  • The epitome of RNG, this stage is probably #2 in the ragequit list. However, get past the RNG and it's actually a pretty easy stage!
  • Avoid the venom plants, obviously. They can and will kill you in short order. If you're not so lucky, run to the pools at the edges of the stage to cleanse. Note that in Veteran Maelstrom that the pools disappear when you use them and will not reset until the next round begins, so watch your step.
  • Prioritize the Argonian Venomcallers, they're the Argonians that spawn at one of the four corners of the stage and begin a channeling ability to summon and detonate multiple venom plants repeatedly. The tell for this is when the stage turns green. Stamina setups have it easy because they can launch a Volley at their location with a Poison Arrow and make quick work of them.
  • The Argonian Venomshots here have a skill called Taking Aim which will one-shot you if you let them complete it. Magicka setups can interrupt this easily with Crushing Shock, Stamina setups can use Venom Arrow (though I advise against using that morph), and Stamina Nightblades can simply Ambush them and stun them out of it. The tell is when you start glowing orange; when that happens, find the Venomshot using the skill and prioritize them.
  • The trolls in this stage will enrage after receiving enough damage, and can one-shot you afterwards.
  • Champion: Argonian Behemoth - Immovability pots are fantastic against this boss, they can save you from the Staggering Stomp, and his knockback punch which can lead into a Monstrous Crunch that will bleed you out if you're not careful. The Monstrous Crunch ONLY applies if you are stunned by his knockback punch; however, you can avoid it you can Break-Free + Roll Dodge fast enough. After a certain amount of time, two Minders will spawn. Immediately kill the one furthest from the Behemoth and reposition yourself to the other Minder and stay near it. After one of the minders dies, the Behemoth immediately begins channeling an instant-kill scream that is only avoided by being in the remaining Minder's safe area. The scream also kills Venomcallers so don't worry if the screen goes green. DO NOT INTERRUPT THE ENRAGED SCREAM, EVER. IT WILL ENRAGE THE BEHEMOTH WHO WILL THEN ONE-SHOT YOU.

Stage 8 - Igneous Cistern
  • Made it this far? Don't give up! You're almost at the end!
  • Only enemies to worry about here are the Caitliffs and Kyngalds. The Caitliffs will use gap-closers on you (which surprisingly enough, DON'T BUG OUT like our very own gap closers. gently caress you Wrobel), and the Kyngalds will channel a high-damage AoE that must be interrupted before it kills you.
  • Each round has a boss that is initially immune to all damage until you break the Warding Stone that protects it. So prioritize that stone before engaging the boss.
  • Champion: Valkyn Tephra - Basically a Dragonknight from the Patch 1.5 days, you need to destroy all three warding stones to even be able to deal damage to this boss. If you are at range, it will launch a snaring fireball at you, or it will simply chain you back to it, usually into a Standard of Might. Ouch.

Stage 9 - Theater of Despair
  • Last stage, homestretch, and if you're a loving dumbass, probably the stage that causes you to ragequit because certain game designers are utterly incompetent at fixing gapclosers (lol)
  • The main hazards here are the ghosts. Pale ghosts damage you and apply a snare, avoid them.
  • The Golden Ghosts empower you, and if you absorb 3 of them, allow you to use the Spectral Explosion Synergy which clears all the pale ghosts in the stage and stuns all enemies (bosses included) for 10 seconds. You only have a certain amount of time to use the synergy though so don't waste it!
  • Oh right did I mention that this stage has CREMATORIAL GUARDS? No? Well it does. KILL THE CREMATORIAL GUARDS THE MOMENT THEY SPAWN. It is the only way to remove their Wildfire DoT.
  • Second to last stage has an Ash Titan, a la City of Ash II. Same strategy applies here, minus the air atronach spawns.
  • Champion: Voriak Solkyn - Possibly the most frustrating boss I had to deal with (Runa is a very close second). Which is funny because this boss is no more than a glorified Nerien'eth from Crypt of Hearts II. This fight has three phases. Phase 1 is simple, burn down the boss, avoid the big fuckoff skull he launches at you, and interrupt his Necrotic Swarm channel. Once you get him down to 70% he moves to the center of the arena and flies up, beginning Phase 2. Look for the glowing sigil in the outer edge of the arena, and pull the Clannfear add that spawns to that sigil and kill it there, opening a portal to the upper arena. Once your at the upper arena, you will be hit with a constant Damage Over Time component, so self-heals are a priority here. Solkyn is protected by 3 Animus Crystals that must be destroyed immediately, all while avoiding meteor AoEs which stun and Solkyn's own fuckoff skull attack. Immovables are a godsend here. Occasionally Solkyn will begin channeling a giant explosion that can be avoided by hiding behind the moving wall that that appears when he begins chaneling it. Speed is critical here, you need to burn down those crystals ASAP. Once all 3 crystals are gone, he will fall down again and knock you back while doing it, beginning Phase 3. At this point, the golden ghosts spawn again. DO NOT LET HIM ABSORB 3 GHOSTS, IF HE DOES IT'S A WIPE. Instead, grab the ghosts yourself and use the Spectral Explosion to stun him and the adds so you can burn him down quickly. The Shield Sigil is a godsend here, allowing you to facetank his Necrotic Swarm while slapping him around.

Killed Voriak Solkyn and cleared Stage 9? Congratulations, you just completed (Veteran) Maelstrom Arena. Now go open that chest and be disappointed by the poo poo drops from a poo poo RNG.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ahahahahaha was on earlier looking at prices for potions and Tri-stats and Immovables already dropped 15% from last week.

Get hosed flower queens.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
Please put that arena guide in the OP

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Welp, DW/Bow Stamsorc WITHOUT Maelstrom Duals posted the first 600k score in Veteran Maelstrom. Pack it in folks game over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE4AyxrhLqM

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 15, 2016

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Anybody play this on PS4? Just reinstalled it to try the new patch, so far so good.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Man the thieves guild quest line in this is really good huh? On the surface it has a lot of the same elements as Skyrims, but it just blows their thieves guild out of the water.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Davoren posted:

Man the thieves guild quest line in this is really good huh? On the surface it has a lot of the same elements as Skyrims, but it just blows their thieves guild out of the water.

I really like the plot.

The main plot is kinda eh, but passable for me, but all the dlc plots have been great. TG/DB especially all have great characters you get attached to.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Davoren posted:

I liked it a hell of a lot better than Skyrim's but I'm always a big sucker for a classic heist story. Dark Brotherhood is pretty good storyline too.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Davoren posted:

It's what happens when you have writers that are good/not forced to cobble together what they already had to meet deadlines.
And since this is an MMO, you expect that the quests would take you into dungeons, but despite this they still present a better thieving experience than the TG in Skyrim did. :v:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This game is weird. I enjoy everything about it except the class system, which is beyond terrible

I will probably still play a lot because exploring is fun, but I don't see myself getting invested in any character

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The class system is a stopgap between TES' no classes, and an MMO's strict Trinity. Every class can do every role, just in different ways.

This encourages altitis something fierce though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aramek posted:

The class system is a stopgap between TES' no classes, and an MMO's strict Trinity. Every class can do every role, just in different ways.

This encourages altitis something fierce though.

Opposite for me. Like every class is 80% skills from the same pool for everybody so nothing feels very distinct and I have zero desire to start something new

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

All the weapon skills are exactly the same. The class skills themselves I feel are super different.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I see what you're saying, because as a stamsorc, I utilize my class abilities as buffs and all my spenders are dw/bow abilities which are available to everyone.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Davoren posted:

To be fair, Skyrim's Thieve's Guild quest kinda sucked.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

To be fair, Skyrim's Guild quests sucked.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

MF_James posted:

I'm curious what sets people are rolling right now as stamsorcs?

I am running dw/bow with spriggan/night mother's/sellistrix. Spriggan seems to be part of the stam sorc pvp meta and I'd be interested in hearing what people are running on them for pve as well. I run sellistrix when I'm soloing and skoria or stormfist for dungeons. Haven't dipped my toe in pvp with this guy yet, but my weapons are part of my crafted nm 5/5 so I'd craft a 2h mace with crushing glyph for pvp. I got lucky with Spriggan jewelry drops but they are not robust. Would glyph jewelry for weapon power to offset dps loss with only having 35k stam. If spriggan jewelry came with the robust trait I imagine it'd be stupid expensive. I bought chest/legs in divines and dont remember it being that spendy.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I started on the Dark Brotherrhood and I ran into a roadblock and the roadblock has a warhammer and shoots lightning and its name is the Grand Sermonizer.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

That gets a lot of people. When you get held, you "break free" to get out of it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Kiting him and whittling him down with spells or poison arrows works also.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Scyantific posted:

Welp, DW/Bow Stamsorc WITHOUT Maelstrom Duals posted the first 600k score in Veteran Maelstrom. Pack it in folks game over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE4AyxrhLqM

rip stam sorcs

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The Tall Poppies school of game balance.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

boho posted:

rip stam sorcs

More like RIP Vicious Ophidian and Velidreth.

On a more positive note, Combat Physician is a cool and good set for healers. The shield procs constantly and is actually decent. Until I grind out a set of Infallible or Twilight Remedy SPC + Combat Physician is going to be my go-to.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Finished up the Ebonheart zones at last. Daggerfall or Dominion stories next, you think?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Scyantific posted:

More like RIP Vicious Ophidian and Velidreth.

On a more positive note, Combat Physician is a cool and good set for healers. The shield procs constantly and is actually decent. Until I grind out a set of Infallible or Twilight Remedy SPC + Combat Physician is going to be my go-to.

Combat Physician rules. I also like the one that grants dodge (Gossamer?).

poptart_fairy posted:

Finished up the Ebonheart zones at last. Daggerfall or Dominion stories next, you think?

I like AD zones the best, but I'm not sure what these "stories" things are.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
AD has straight up the best faction story in the game. So do DC first so you have something to look forward to.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Huh, surprising - never been sold on Altmer. Blame the Skyrim Thalmor for that. :v:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The Dominion in this game is only alike to Skyrim's dominion in name. The main story is actually really good and my first/main character was Altmer and he'd die for the Queen.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Yo ennuid, was it you who was saying in the old thread that you had a fix for the LUA errors that CombatCloud has been throwing up for a while? I've been poking around but I can't find the post and I'm getting to the point where I really miss having a working copy of it because it was A Good Addon™ and it hasn't been updated in ages :saddowns:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Haven't played an MMO in years, but I figured I'd try this one out on the free weekend. What's the best class for a newb going into PVP? The sorcerer build from the OP?

Also, holy gently caress, 57 gb

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

*Queues up LFG tool as Healer for a Crucible run with 2 DPS*

*Gets a 3rd pubbie DPS*

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Ghetto Prince posted:

Haven't played an MMO in years, but I figured I'd try this one out on the free weekend. What's the best class for a newb going into PVP? The sorcerer build from the OP?

Also, holy gently caress, 57 gb

Magicka Templar is a pretty good training wheels choice for PvP since you have a ton of straightforward self-heals.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone please poz my neg rear end and turn my throat cutting rogue dude in to a vampire?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Is this game one of those "don't bother if you're not getting the DLC" things? I see the free weekend is just the base game and not the gold/DLC stuff.

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

The main game content is pretty great. I'd play through it all before picking up the DLC unless you have a group that runs the DLC for reasons.

However once you get crafting bags, you'll struggle to play without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

bradybunch posted:

The main game content is pretty great. I'd play through it all before picking up the DLC unless you have a group that runs the DLC for reasons.

However once you get crafting bags, you'll struggle to play without them.

Oh, cool. Guess I'll give it a shot then.