Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The more teams in MLS, the closer we are to pro/rel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Seltzer posted:

No more teams!

the time for this was before all the cascadian teams were let in

its too late now

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
One of the big things I hate about the expansion, aside from the obvious dilution of talent, is just how nebulous the teams become outside of your rivals. I used to have a basic understanding of every team in the league, now I honestly couldn't tell you a drat thing about the whitecaps this season for instance. I like the idea of knowing the league and your opponents but now it's becoming impossible. The "solution" of conferences like in football would be an even worse solution to me, I would absolutely hate that. I know more about Crystal Palace than I do the Dynamo and I just have a passing interest in the PL.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah NFL style conferences would be the death of MLS. It's fun to play everyone else every year.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

"dilution of talent" isn't an actual issue with MLS because there are thousands of talented players outside MLS who can be brought to MLS

growing the league and fanbase means adding more teams. Theres no reason the league should be arbitrarily restricted to 24 teams or whatever when theres plenty of other completely viable soccer markets and theres no lack of talented soccer players.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

G-Hawk posted:

"dilution of talent" isn't an actual issue with MLS because there are thousands of talented players outside MLS who can be brought to MLS

growing the league and fanbase means adding more teams. Theres no reason the league should be arbitrarily restricted to 24 teams or whatever when theres plenty of other completely viable soccer markets and theres no lack of talented soccer players.

Source your quotes

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

No, you see, the new teams stole all the good talent from the old teams and now LA Galaxy and DC United are bad. It's because of the new teams! They're monsters! They're... MONSTARS!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

G-Hawk posted:

Counterpoint:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Gordon_(soccer)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

You have to have a certain amount of Americans on your roster, you are aware of that right? The pool of good Americans is very small and they're basically either in Europe, on dp contracts or coming out of like two teams academies (including ours).

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Seltzer posted:

The pool of good Americans is very small and

Hmm, let's add 40 more teams then

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Can’t wait for the league to add 20 more glamour locations like Flagstaff and Buffalo

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Seltzer posted:

You have to have a certain amount of Americans on your roster, you are aware of that right? The pool of good Americans is very small and they're basically either in Europe, on dp contracts or coming out of like two teams academies (including ours).
if only they could change that number. Or get rid of intl slots all together. I guess nothing can be done!

and more teams = more academies = more american talent

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

G-Hawk posted:

if only they could change that number. Or get rid of intl slots all together. I guess nothing can be done!

So you want to watch a b-rate hybrid of the Brazilian Campeonato and Argentina Primera Liga?

Our academy system is so far behind basically everyone, thinking that adding new franchises with their half assed symbolic academy systems will do anything is a joke. The academies that have succeeded have basically bucked the system and are unicorns at the moment.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Solution: every expansion team from here on out can be relegated, everyone else is immune. Best of both worlds

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

G-Hawk posted:

The entire point of this league is to develop American talent, that's why those rules are there in the first place

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Explicitely allow political protests during MLS games and recruit all the NFL players who will be fined by Trump's bullshit, then we will finally answer the age old question about good athletes choosing soccer over pointyball

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I would like to root for a team that doesn’t try to impress Wayne Rooney by putting him up in the Trump International Hotel.

Barring that, I would like to continue to watch this team from the Queen Vic

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

The entire point of this league is to develop American talent, that's why those rules are there in the first place

MLS: 23 Year of Failure.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

G-Hawk posted:

Not even necessarily "more academies" (though there would be), just "more scouts" would even be enough. The random Canadian dude who bossed TFC's last game and scored the winner got his contract because he impressed in a rec league game that some TFC suit was playing in.

The US and Canada are huge and a ton of players or potential players slip through the cracks and go undiscovered, because the massive talent funnelling infrastructure that exists for the other sports isn't really present to the same degree in North American soccer. Whether "more teams" means splitting MLS into conferences, or into MLS1/MLS2, or whether those "more teams" go to USL or whatever zombie NASL iteration Rocco decides to raise from the grave (not to mention the CPL), there absolutely need to be more teams and if someone can keep one alive as a business, more power to them. So far "keep a team alive as a business" has meant "play in MLS or maybe USL".

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 25, 2018

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MLS academy teams get beat by high school teams. They are bad

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Guys, what if Lebron played soccer?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Guys, what if Lebron played soccer?

He'd still lose in game 7.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Not even necessarily "more academies" (though there would be), just "more scouts" would even be enough. The random Canadian dude who bossed TFC's last game and scored the winner got his contract because he impressed in a rec league game that some TFC suit was playing in.

The US and Canada are huge and a ton of players or potential players slip through the cracks and go undiscovered, because the massive talent funnelling infrastructure that exists for the other sports isn't really present to the same degree in North American soccer. Whether "more teams" means splitting MLS into conferences, or into MLS1/MLS2, or whether those "more teams" go to USL or whatever zombie NASL iteration Rocco decides to raise from the grave (not to mention the CPL), there absolutely need to be more teams and if someone can keep one alive as a business, more power to them. So far "keep a team alive as a business" has meant "play in MLS or maybe USL".

yeah this.

becoming a national (and really 2 country) league means having teams in more than 10 or 12 or 20 or 24 places. And American talent growth along with international players are more than able to support adding a team or 2 every season or two with no downside

even if you think promotion/relegation is the future, its alot more likely to happen through a mls structure that eventually turns into 2 leagues than from outside MLS

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

G-Hawk posted:

yeah this.

becoming a national (and really 2 country) league means having teams in more than 10 or 12 or 20 or 24 places. And American talent growth along with international players are more than able to support adding a team or 2 every season or two with no downside

even if you think promotion/relegation is the future, its alot more likely to happen through a mls structure that eventually turns into 2 leagues than from outside MLS

yeah owners would probably be more okay with it if it's "okay you're still in MLS, you're just in MLS2 playing against the other MLS2 teams" rather than "bam down to NASL you go". Even if it amounts to the same thing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If they get revenue sharing, MLS.2 owners probably wouldn’t care.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

By the way, I unironically believe this is one of the reasons the league (and especially the MLS web staff) give the Dynamo short shrift in reporting and whistles on the field. Wilmer Cabrera doesn’t care about developing American talent. In fact, he’s happy to develop talent that plays against USA in international competition. And most Houston fans don’t care about Team USA either. We’re different from most league towns in that respect.

:tinfoil:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

silvergoose posted:

yeah owners would probably be more okay with it if it's "okay you're still in MLS, you're just in MLS2 playing against the other MLS2 teams" rather than "bam down to NASL you go". Even if it amounts to the same thing.

Once you get to this point what is the difference really, between just breaking the league up into division/conferences eternal?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

G-Hawk posted:

Note: this is how it has basically always happened. Even in the canonical open league (that is, England), the professional league was closed (instead, the bottom team had to face a vote of the existing members, and were only relegated if they lost the vote against whoever would replace them), and new divisions were added as more and more teams were up to standard and admitted into the league. The fully open pyramid structure we're familiar with now didn't solidify until the 80s - that is, nearly a hundred years after they started, after conditions had developed to make it workable.

Jack2142 posted:

Once you get to this point what is the difference really, between just breaking the league up into division/conferences eternal?

There's an argument to be made about the pressure involved in relegation battles and what that does to players (both positive and negative), but a lot of that comes from financial consequences that would probably be mitigated in any MLS-driven version of that mechanic, so at that point it would come down to dueling aesthetic preferences.

I'm not sure precisely why the AL and NL decided to split horizontally (that is, separate but equal leagues with a postseason playoff between them) rather than vertically (separate leagues with promotion and relegation between them) when they decided to work together in 1903 - but I suspect a lot of things would be very different if they had taken the English example there, because subsequent American sports have largely aimed to solve their "too many teams" problems in the same way baseball did.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dallan Invictus posted:

Note: this is how it has basically always happened. Even in the canonical open league (that is, England), the professional league was closed (instead, the bottom team had to face a vote of the existing members, and were only relegated if they lost the vote against whoever would replace them), and new divisions were added as more and more teams were up to standard and admitted into the league. The fully open pyramid structure we're familiar with now didn't solidify until the 80s - that is, nearly a hundred years after they started, after conditions had developed to make it workable.

There's an argument to be made about the pressure involved in relegation battles and what that does to players (both positive and negative), but a lot of that comes from financial consequences that would probably be mitigated in any MLS-driven version of that mechanic, so at that point it would come down to dueling aesthetic preferences.

I'm not sure precisely why the AL and NL decided to split horizontally (that is, separate but equal leagues with a postseason playoff between them) rather than vertically (separate leagues with promotion and relegation between them) when they decided to work together in 1903 - but I suspect a lot of things would be very different if they had taken the English example there, because subsequent American sports have largely aimed to solve their "too many teams" problems in the same way baseball did.

I was thinking recently about pro/rel in the states, and I was comparing it to Baseball. Instead of the teams being promoted and relegated through the leagues, it is almost as if the players are instead. Don't play well? We ship you to Arizona to play on a triple-A team. Do well? Get called up to play in the Majors and maybe secure your big $$$ for a while.

Since we sort of have our farm teams playing in the USL, it would be interesting if MLS grew to two 15 team divisions, with a supporting league (or two) underneath for pro/rel. Bottom 1-2 of each division get swapped out with the top 1-2 of NASL or USL or MLS2 or whatever it becomes. Naturally it won't happen for at least 5 years after the last team gets tacked on to MLS and we hit 30 or 40 or 100 teams or whatever.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1001584635778863106

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Booooooooooooooo.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Dead set on making Ohio work despite all evidence to the contrary.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Shrapnig posted:

Booooooooooooooo.

It was the best turnkey option. We all know it.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Hi new friends!

I am stoked!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

Booooooooooooooo.

WE'RE FULL

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

porkface posted:

Dead set on making Ohio work despite all evidence to the contrary.

Every team should have to start in Ohio, prove they can play for 5 years, then move to a city that actually wants a team.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
At least there will be an even number of teams next year.

Unless there is another expansion team I'm forgetting.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Nashville's coming in 2020. That is also the time when Miami is supposed to start playing, so the heat death of the universe is coming WAY sooner than anticipated.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This Armentaros goal
https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/UncommonLonelyFattaileddunnart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Nashville's coming in 2020. That is also the time when Miami is supposed to start playing, so the heat death of the universe is coming WAY sooner than anticipated.

The new Beckham partners (the Mas brothers) want to build their SSS on land currently occupied by a public golf course, instead of Overtown.

They were supposed to be working on a deadline to get a public vote this summer, but nothing has happened so the soonest it could happen is in November.

MLS was talking about Miami in 2020 but at this rate I'd be surprised if it happens before 2021 at the earliest, assuming no more delays.

Or, you know, MLS could let the Tampa Bay Rowdies in, instead, and let Miami be team number 29 or 30, whenever that happens.

Bill Edwards needs to sign up a multi-billionaire or two for #MLS2StPete to happen, apparently.

MLS has no teams with green and yellow hooped kit; just sayin'.