Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
If we're on semi-serious talk for a minute (absolutely not trying to hijack your discussion, Mr Nice), does anyone have any tips or advice on how you figured out what you wanted to do? Was it literally just "get hired by anyone who will take me", or were there any particular questions you reflected on?

I think I'm in the midst of a quarter-life crisis, where I have no idea what I want to do with my life and feel completely unqualified for basically everything, and no idea how to figure that stuff out. I don't know if I want to practice law, but I feel like if I don't, I'll basically be wasting my degree, an attitude I know comes at least partly from parental pressure. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to working in law, but I wouldn't say it's my motivating passion, which worries me in terms of my ability to stick with it without wanting to kill myself.

If it changes the advice at all, I have no debt, (which I know puts me in an insanely more privileged and secure position than a lot of people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You're not hijacking my discussion at all. You seem like you're in a similar situation to me.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Wanna elope?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
You’re around Tallahassee, right? Seems like that market is state job or bust for lawyers. So looking at Tampa, Jax, or South Florida for real opportunity. How often are you applying in other markets?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr. Nice I think you should take it. Your worst case scenario is it sucks and you stop doing it soon. Just leave it off the resume if that happens.

Best case is you love it and it turns into a permanent job.

Most likely situation? It gives you some lawyer job for a few months while you keep looking. But now, your resume says "contact attorney" instead of unemployed. It changes things dramatically.

Or move to Texas, take the bar, and join my firm that I'll start in 22 years.

Quite honestly, I'd move mountains for anyone looking for work in Austin. May just be government work, but it's work. I know how hard it is. I've gotten 3 of my former law clerks hired at my job, and reached out all over for others.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 18, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm still shaking the tree for you Mr. Nice. No luck so far but I'm expanding my net.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

You’re around Tallahassee, right? Seems like that market is state job or bust for lawyers. So looking at Tampa, Jax, or South Florida for real opportunity. How often are you applying in other markets?

There is a bounty of both state and private jobs. There are more lawyers here per capita than I think any other city in the state because of the state capital. I haven't yet really applied a lot in Tampa/Orlando because I knew surgery with a few month recovery was coming and I thought I could find something local. There are tons of state job openings around the state and especially in south florida, but they pay from $39-42k and it's not worth it to move to miami to make peanuts.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Mr. Nice I think you should take it. Your worst case scenario is it sucks and you stop doing it soon. Just leave it off the resume if that happens.

Best case is you love it and it turns into a permanent job.

Most likely situation? It gives you some lawyer job for a few months while you keep looking. But now, your resume says "contact attorney" instead of unemployed. It changes things dramatically.

Or move to Texas, take the bar, and join my firm that I'll start in 22 years.

Quite honestly, I'd move mountains for anyone looking for work in Austin. May just be government work, but it's work. I know how hard it is. I've gotten 3 of my former law clerks hired at my job, and reached out all over for others.

I'm probably going to keep working for them, at least in the short term, because it's paid legal work. I'm still waiting to see what the full details of compensation are, though. As far as moving to Texas goes, probably not happening anytime soon even if my family would love it.

Yuns posted:

I'm still shaking the tree for you Mr. Nice. No luck so far but I'm expanding my net.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate all of you.

Whitlam posted:

Wanna elope?

You might have to get in line.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 18, 2018

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Mr. Nice, I'm sure you get tired of hearing things like, "Hang in there," but hang in there.

This sucks, and you deserve better. I do not know where we have come as a society where educated, decent people with seven years of advanced training and a military background have to struggle to earn a decent income. It sucks, and I'm seeing it more and more, and it bugs me, because it's happening to people like you.

I'm still making burritos based on your techniques, so you have made the world a brighter place for me. :)

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Doc review is super boring, no stress, and decently lucrative. It’s pretty great.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lol never heard anyone describe doc review as lucrative.

It’s $27 an hr here if you can get in at the good doc review mill. Some ads are for as low as $15 an hr. Either way it’s feast or famine with no benefits.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Yeah, I think some people are losing track of how much of a race to the bottom doc review has become. Here, I’ve seen positions offering “up to” $23-24 an hour. For who knows how much actual steady work you can actually get.

Which is not bad, except, you know, the seven years of higher education, accompanying loans, etc.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lol never heard anyone describe doc review as lucrative.

It’s $27 an hr here if you can get in at the good doc review mill. Some ads are for as low as $15 an hr. Either way it’s feast or famine with no benefits.

Pittsburgh has a ridiculously low cost of living, my live-in ex-wife makes good money, I sold my house, and even with one week off out of every 4 I’m making more than my PD colleagues with 5-6 years experience. My company is $26 unlicensed, $32 licensed with no OT limit.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toona the Cat posted:

Pittsburgh has a ridiculously low cost of living, my live-in ex-wife makes good money, I sold my house, and even with one week off out of every 4 I’m making more than my PD colleagues with 5-6 years experience. My company is $26 unlicensed, $32 licensed with no OT limit.
Replace op with this grim poo poo

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Toona the Cat posted:

And I thought my situation was bad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Toona is my spirit animal.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Whitlam posted:

Was it literally just "get hired by anyone who will take me"

At the time, yes.

Now that I'm a few years and a few trips to the courthouse in, I've got a pretty good idea of the jobs that would fit my goals.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Whitlam posted:

If we're on semi-serious talk for a minute (absolutely not trying to hijack your discussion, Mr Nice), does anyone have any tips or advice on how you figured out what you wanted to do? Was it literally just "get hired by anyone who will take me", or were there any particular questions you reflected on?

I think I'm in the midst of a quarter-life crisis, where I have no idea what I want to do with my life and feel completely unqualified for basically everything, and no idea how to figure that stuff out. I don't know if I want to practice law, but I feel like if I don't, I'll basically be wasting my degree, an attitude I know comes at least partly from parental pressure. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to working in law, but I wouldn't say it's my motivating passion, which worries me in terms of my ability to stick with it without wanting to kill myself.

If it changes the advice at all, I have no debt, (which I know puts me in an insanely more privileged and secure position than a lot of people).

I basically fell into my position because I was kind of in a similar state. I moved back home after job hunting with minimal work turned out to be untenable in Louisiana, started volunteering at various clinics in San Diego. It 100% wouldn't have been possible without my folks being willing to put up with my poo poo in exchange for having a helping hand for all the family disasters that happened in the two years but eventually I had two of the places I had done a lot of work for jonesing to snatch me up when grant funding came through. Then I ended up meeting my current boss at a random rear end CLE who also volunteered where I volunteered.

It was basically a complete stroke of luck in connections and a ton of unpaid experience in the field though, and I actually do enjoy my work and see myself doing it for ages to come. If you're not enjoying what you're doing law wise then you're not in a bad position to float other possible opportunities given the lack of debt. I sure as gently caress didn't think I'd be neck deep in family law non profit world when I started law school. Some folks have that plan from the get go, some don't.

Edit: that said I was picky as poo poo when job hunting because I knew there were some areas of law I 100% would have ended up killing myself via alcohol or something if I jumped on that boat.

Or, you know:

Toona the Cat posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 18, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toona the Cat posted:

32 an hour is higher than I've seen the market in Chicago in ten years. So great work getting that I guess.

In 7ish years of doing doc review I've never grossed over 55k, a few of my friends have. And that's with working a lot of weekends and 12 hour days as much as I can, plus claiming unemployment. A few partial weeks absolutely fucks you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Go to law school, folks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Do you think in 25 years that they'll be doing gritty Paw Patrol movie remakes?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

blarzgh posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_Raceland

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

blarzgh posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1030505052992102400

Paw & Order

Created by Dick Wolf

:doink: Bark Bark

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Lote posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1030505052992102400

Paw & Order

Created by Dick Wolf

:doink: Bark Bark

Paw & Order

Created by Wolf Dick

Dude it was right there

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Anyone know how the administration, stats, hires, placements, that sort of thing are looking at Wake Forest? Any colossal scandals?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Or, you could do I like did and spend 90 seconds reading the article.

I know you're trolling but its so convincingly disguised as your standard-fare, faux-progressive twitter rhetoric that it annoys me via placebo effect.

I'm absolutely serious and those are the solutions he prescribes in his dumbshit book, lmao.

I'm proud of you for reading the article, though. I'm sure he will rescue his fellow Appalachians via tax and regulatory cuts any day now.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 19, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Blarzgh no. Your kid is still young. Do not let her watch paw patrol. I've seen so many episodes I corrected a kid at the pool yesterday on how many merpup episodes there are.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

My kids traded in Paw Patrol for Puppy Dog Pals. I’m not willing to say it’s better but it’s a welcome change. It’s fine bc they watch Spider-Man way more.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I find Paw Patrol disturbing. It indoctrinates kids into thinking it’s ok for a city to outsource essential services to a bunch of underpaid, underaged and obviously under trained contractors. It’s essentially libertarian propaganda - have you noticed how the only government figure in the show can’t even keep her god damned chicken in check?

Consider also the mayor of the neighbouring city; he shows up with his cats, a top hat and a snidely whiplash moustache. He’s obviously meant to represent foreigners in general (different, from outside, evil, and trying to exploit Happy Valley for his own nefarious purposes).

Seriously, Paw Patrol is basically Trumpian propaganda.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Puppy Dog Pals is stupid because my daughter watches Vampirina on DisneyJr on my laptop and instead of going to the next episode, it forces PDP on her and she gets pissed until I change it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Guy got back with me incredulous that I didn’t know the job was $20/hr then completely sidestepped my question about what the pay would jump to in 5 weeks when I’m licensed and what benefits were available. I have a draft reply where I tell him $20 is under market rate, doc review is $23/hr with unlimited overtime, state contract entry level work is $26/hr, and fellow classmates in town started at $35/hr. I think they’re so stretched on cash that they literally cannot afford to pay more. This is just another bigass red flag saying that this is not the right spot for me.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's not the right spot long term but ya gotta get experience. Just don't stop looking, and don't feel bad when you quit this job with a days notice. That don't pay, they don't get loyalty.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yeah. Use them and then bounce for something better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm waiting to hear back from them to see what (if anything) more they're going to offer. If they can't even give me solid numbers of what my rate will be in a month or anything about the bonus structure, I'm inclined to tell them to just go hire the 3L they wanted originally. They've lost 30+ attorneys in the past year and the owner told me himself that he had been "screwed" by two people he trusted and they robbed him of millions by them. They claim to have a bunch of settlements coming down the pipe and money "around the corner" but I have a feeling that this is the type of employer I'm going to have to hassle to get paid.

I do see the side of "it's work, just do it until you find something better" and that may be what I end up doing, but I'm going to let them know that upfront if they can't offer me anything better or give me any details of future pay that I'm leaving as soon as I find someone that will.

The owner is also hyper-religious and keeps the office radio on christian contemporary all the time. We had a five minute discussion on faith when I was there. I've always been exceptionally leery of anyone that goes out of there way to market themselves as a christian company.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Those settlements just around the corner are either bullshit or if they exist they won’t raise your pay based on that.

I cancelled an interview one time I found out the firm was super Christian. It was also 90 minutes away in a town of only 100k. What tipped the scale for me is I heard they accepted payments of like jewelry from clients. As Jesus would do.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Jesus is a malpracticing piece of poo poo in that case.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Jesus is a malpracticing piece of poo poo in that case.

Model ABA rules allow for receipt of property in lieu of fees with certain restrictions. I'm not sure if that state follows the model rules, but in most accepting jewelry for fees would generally be fine.

I emailed back the firm and expressed my concerns and also emailed the school career counselor that set up this interview in the first place explaining my position.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It’s Tennessee and yes it’s allowed.

CA lets you take stock in a clients company. I assume that’s ok bc that’s what Boies Schiller did with Theranos. That’s super hosed up.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 19, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
WWJP?

What Would Jesus Practice?
Where Would Jesus Practice?

WSAPWJD?

What Substance Abuse Problem Would Jesus Develop?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Jesus is 100% an alcoholic. Possibly also a huge stoner. Maybe peyote or shrooms on special occasions (e.g. his birthday; when everyone else popped buttons that one time and tripped balls so hard they thought he came back to life)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Model ABA rules allow for receipt of property in lieu of fees with certain restrictions. I'm not sure if that state follows the model rules, but in most accepting jewelry for fees would generally be fine.

I emailed back the firm and expressed my concerns and also emailed the school career counselor that set up this interview in the first place explaining my position.

Instant disbarment for me. But yeah that figures.

Discendo Vox posted:

WWJP?

What Would Jesus Practice?
Where Would Jesus Practice?

WSAPWJD?

What Substance Abuse Problem Would Jesus Develop?

Depends. Is he jewish?

The answer is definitely not any kind of litigation

he'd totally get hung up on the cross