Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

XIII is polarising for a number of reasons, but the fact that they let you just retry a battle right away if you lost was absolutely brilliant

I think I actually remember some people getting mad at that + HP/MP restoring after every fight because it was dumbing things down or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

More games need to let the bad guy win one or multiple times during the game

Also Mystic Quest is one of the best designed RPGs ever made and game after game fails to measure up to even its most basic yardsticks

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mega64 posted:

It's a close call. FF2 manages to literally kill off half the NPCs in the world before it ends. FF2 also has several villages completely destroyed, while in FF6 I think it's only Mobliz and Narshe that are really wrecked by the end of the world. Then again, FF6's catastrophe totally ruins the landscape, and people are certainly more hopeless and destitute in the WoR, while in FF2 nobody seems to really give a poo poo that the world is ending.

The way I'll choose to interpret it, FF6 has the worst in-game darkness due to how it utterly devastates the world and the people within, while overall FF2 is the darker universe since the people within are already so hopeless and miserable that they hardly bat an eye to the Emperor destroying half the world.

It's definitely close. I will say that visually FF6 presents its darkness and devastation better. We don't get to see the cyclone loving destroy almost every inhabited town. We don't get to see the Dreadnought shell them, we just show up to their ruined husks and have the NPC's basically going "Holy gently caress, everyone is dead."

We see the light of ruin carving up FF6. We see how it just utterly destroys the whole world.

That said. FF6 is a lot about "Hope in the face of despair." While FF2 is kind of just "Nope, just despair, hope is a lie. Even after you win, everything is hosed, you're forever broken by the horrors of war, roll credits!"

And in a personal level, FF6 the only party member's to die are Baron(Literally up in the air), Leo(One segment counts), and Shadow (Optional). Like... if they'd decided to keep that hilariously dark poo poo like "Hey if you failed to save the child in the house, then Sabin would be crushed alive and killed. Then, if you brought Edward back to the town, he'd wander through the streets at night clawing at the rubble trying to dig his dead brother out in a delirious attempt to save his life." Then it'd be no loving contest.

BUT, no the party has bad stuff happen to em, but they're a pretty tight knit group who do well. They then proceed to start their adventure by being beaten up, watching the prince die, failing to do anything about an airship that blows up most towns. And then watching almost every party member they encounter meet a horrid end.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Help Im Alive posted:

I think I actually remember some people getting mad at that + HP/MP restoring after every fight because it was dumbing things down or w/e

I mean, sure? But also gently caress the idea that if I die in a fight and I haven't saved for a while I get to eat dick?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
2 starts with a battle you cannot win and never let's up with the athmosphere of defeat, like sure the events of 6 are more catoclysmic but 2 feels a whole lot bleaker to me personally

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
2 is way sadder than 6. 6 at least as a joke here and there. 2 is just despair for 40 hours.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think 2 wins out over 6 in depression because it largely sticks to realistic ways that things turn to poo poo. Most of 2's deaths are just people being on the receiving end of air strikes; the most fantastically people die is to a magic cyclone, but even that's basically still a human-wielded weapon that looks like a natural disaster. I don't think the Emperor even kills anybody after taking over hell, the bodycount is entirely traced to human will and weapons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FF2's world is already empty and boring so it doesn't matter that everything gets destroyed.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
people remember the plot of 2? i beat it like 2 years ago and remember literally nothing

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
People didn't dumpster 2 after seeing the leveling system?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
My first experience with 2 was the Dawn of Souls version on the GBA which was still as weird to figure out, but it was apparently much kinder to the player? I was interested enough to try something with a different levelling system so I ended up finishing it, and I had way more free time and lower standards when it came out.

I'm still sorta surprised Leila didn't die. After a point I just started assuming anyone who joined your party would die eventually.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The leveling system is neat, but I hate the dungeons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

God, I love how bad the FMV intro translation of FFVI is even by 90s videogame standards.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Onmi posted:

I mean, sure? But also gently caress the idea that if I die in a fight and I haven't saved for a while I get to eat dick?

How do you propose to implement consequences to failure? (Actual question, not rhetorical).

Re:2 It was the only one 1-9 that I just put down and never returned to. I don't think I beat the final boss of three, but I made it to the room. Two just isn't very interesting, the NES wasn't up to telling the story, the dungeons were boring as hell, especially since 2/3rds of all doors just plopped you in the middle of an empty room, and iirc the encounter rate was jacked.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

How do you propose to implement consequences to failure? (Actual question, not rhetorical).

Re:2 It was the only one 1-9 that I just put down and never returned to. I don't think I beat the final boss of three, but I made it to the room. Two just isn't very interesting, the NES wasn't up to telling the story, the dungeons were boring as hell, especially since 2/3rds of all doors just plopped you in the middle of an empty room, and iirc the encounter rate was jacked.

your consequence is having to do the fight again/not getting to progress. not every game has to be Dark Souls

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
When you think about it, Final Fantasy VII really is the Dark Souls of video games.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know, The World Ends With You let you restart any failed battles but hard fights never felt less difficult because of it. I think an option might be to let you restart a lost battle, but when you finish the game it counts how many times you bit it. Players who aren't bothered about that sort of thing will carry on while the competitive sort will reload to keep the perfect deathless run, thus punishing themselves

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
in Disgaea 5 you lose nothing at all for failing a fight and that game has plenty of times you're going to get your poo poo stomped on until you figure out a better strategy or build a new class or something

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Every Disgaea game may even reward you with an ending for failing a couple certain fights. Going to the Item World in any game is going to eventually put you up against impossible battles that make you Gency out. I lost to a treasure chest I couldn't open before enemies slammed my group.

The newer Wild Arms games gave you the option to restart battles in exchange for an item or something else.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 8, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

morallyobjected posted:

your consequence is having to do the fight again/not getting to progress. not every game has to be Dark Souls

I missed the part in the original post about retrying the fight. Yeah, that works fine.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Relin posted:

people remember the plot of 2? i beat it like 2 years ago and remember literally nothing

I remember the main villain dying and then coming back from hell, as the king of hell, and then going into the castle of hell to kill him again, yeah

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

Like... FFXIII did do this, they ranked the fights, you got better rewards for doing well. If you don't give a poo poo about Ranks like... fine. But for plenty of people doing well for good rewards is a reason to not want to die?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just started FF3, and they give you an airship in the first ten minutes. Wow.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

morallyobjected posted:

in Disgaea 5 you lose nothing at all for failing a fight and that game has plenty of times you're going to get your poo poo stomped on until you figure out a better strategy or build a new class or something

On the upside, like all Disgaea games there are so many ways to break it over your knee.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

And then take it away in the next 5

Better than FF2, which gives you the airship long after you need it for ANYTHING.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

FF3 for me is the definitive "create your own party composition and try out new jobs/abilities within those generally defined roles" FF experience for me where the combat/job system is the game itself, and the story is like an audiobook you have playing in the background while you hypothesize effective party comps. FF5 is similar, but at the end of the day it feels so much more reduced in the gameplay department. Still dope though.

The story isn't the focus of FF3 to me, it's about being good enough at bashing monsters so as not to die to random encounters in a dungeon.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jesus FF13 has some ridiculous spikes in difficulty. It's really balanced loving stupidly, where you can be cruising through a portion of the game and then just get your rear end stomped into the ground no matter which combination of paradigms you try. Chapter 11 is sucking any desire to finish this loving game out of me.

Maybe it's just a matter of getting good but the game is so loving stingy with money, upgrade mats, and CP at this point that I don't think it's something I'm expected to grind past or get stronger to do.

I keep going back and forth on whether I like the game or not and I think I really just like the art and music, game itself I think is pretty much rear end.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

Jesus FF13 has some ridiculous spikes in difficulty. It's really balanced loving stupidly, where you can be cruising through a portion of the game and then just get your rear end stomped into the ground no matter which combination of paradigms you try. Chapter 11 is sucking any desire to finish this loving game out of me.

Maybe it's just a matter of getting good but the game is so loving stingy with money, upgrade mats, and CP at this point that I don't think it's something I'm expected to grind past or get stronger to do.

I keep going back and forth on whether I like the game or not and I think I really just like the art and music, game itself I think is pretty much rear end.

Ch11 Gran Pulse is when it opens up so you can run into stuff that you aren't supposed to fight until lategame or postgame. Just do the easier missions if you want then continue on with the main story.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ch11 Gran Pulse is when it opens up so you can run into stuff that you aren't supposed to fight until lategame or postgame. Just do the easier missions if you want then continue on with the main story.

No no, I'm just continuing the story and ran into some loving mini boss that just wipes the floor with me. It's technically a mission but I'm pretty sure I have to do this to proceed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DrNutt posted:

This is pretty much my view on FFXIII. I would go from liking it to hating it and at the end of the day I cannot recommend it as a good video game. The pacing, the lack of anything to do besides fighting, it all just adds up to a pretty poo poo experience. I don't even like Gran Pulse since it's such a 180 . The game conditions you to run from cutscene to cutscene and to not expect anything else then they abruptly dump you in this giant sandbox with no direction. It was the epitome of padding. Also by that point everyone has finished their character arc so ...what's left? The plot? Lol

The music is to die for, though. Thankfully all the best tracks were used again in XIII-2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

No no, I'm just continuing the story and ran into some loving mini boss that just wipes the floor with me. It's technically a mission but I'm pretty sure I have to do this to proceed.

Im assuming its the Phalanxes/Bellows? The large armed dudes who buff their robot buddies? Protip theyre not immune to deceptisol.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Im assuming its the Phalanxes/Bellows? The large armed dudes who buff their robot buddies? Protip theyre not immune to deceptisol.

Lmao I haven't seen a shroud in 20 hours because this is the stingiest loving game when it comes to consumables. Just for shits I decided to burn a summon the last time and killed the two robot buddies but did gently caress all damage to the big boy, and then when my summon went away he summoned like 5 more robot buddies who proceeded to piss in my cornflakes. Fight sucks.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Lmao I haven't seen a shroud in 20 hours because this is the stingiest loving game when it comes to consumables. Just for shits I decided to burn a summon the last time and killed the two robot buddies but did gently caress all damage to the big boy, and then when my summon went away he summoned like 5 more robot buddies who proceeded to piss in my cornflakes. Fight sucks.

doesn't the game start giving you more shrouds when you start doing poorly? I do remember getting brick walled at that boss though, but I think I found out one time you can run by them if you line it up right

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Im legit surprised youve used all your shrouds and assume youve already spent all your money on upgrading weapons and gear so you have none left to buy more.

If youre still having troubles the trickier but itemless easy-win stat is that they arent immune to stop. If you can survive the initial onslaught (say sen/sen/sab or sen/med/sab) you can just stop lock them all and destroy them that way.

They are unironically the hardest fight in the main story

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Im legit surprised youve used all your shrouds and assume youve already spent all your money on upgrading weapons and gear so you have none left to buy more.

If youre still having troubles the trickier but itemless easy-win stat is that they arent immune to stop. If you can survive the initial onslaught (say sen/sen/sab or sen/med/sab) you can just stop lock them all and destroy them that way.

They are unironically the hardest fight in the main story

:wtc: That does make me feel a little better about it I guess.

And yeah, the early game throws a bunch of them at you in the optional chests and I assumed it would keep it up, so I used em pretty liberally, anytime it looked like a fight with a tough enemy was coming up. Then like halfway through my current playthrough I just stopped seeing them at all and I have essentially no money. The FF13 economy is hosed to all hell.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/ohthatlook/status/1113784322325209088

Whoops!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

If it still exists, it’s definitely sitting on some dusty LaCie drive in a former Square employee’s closet, in a clusterfuck of a folder named “old poo poo”.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
So, GBA Versions of I & II, IV and V are all solid right? I have I & II on GBA somewhere and a work friend has IV and V on GBA that they will lend me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A L'cie drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DrNutt posted:

And yeah, the early game throws a bunch of them at you in the optional chests and I assumed it would keep it up, so I used em pretty liberally, anytime it looked like a fight with a tough enemy was coming up. Then like halfway through my current playthrough I just stopped seeing them at all and I have essentially no money. The FF13 economy is hosed to all hell.

There's plenty of chests althroughout the game, it's porb just cause Chapter 11's area is so huge that they spread out the chests very far. In a lot of ways, Chapter 11 is designed for people to explore a lot, even though most people just end up following the hallways for the story anyways.

If you have no money you should probably start selling things. There's probably a bunch of equipment you don't really use/need and there's probably a lot of enemy drops or treasures that sell for a bunch. You fight a shitton of soldiers through the story so you likely got a bunch of chips from them which are very good for selling.

You very assuredly have the equipment/stats/paradigms to handle what the game is throwing at you. The game does ramp up the difficulty as you go but you don't need to grind at all to beat the game. If you do still need to grind, then just go back and do missions to get stuff since you get a lot of good stuff (and access to easy grinding) from the missions. That and you'd unlock the teleporting save points to make traveling easier.