Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atticus_1354 posted:

How much power do your devices use and how many days between recharges?

Power supply is provisioned at 65 watts; with all the features going I think 50-55 peak draw is common. I don't have a way of measuring my configuration's draw, so assume 65w. (I don't use all the features so my actual draw is likely to be around 15-20w from what I'm reading online.)

I'd like to get at least a full night's use out of it, ideally at least two. Outages in my area rarely last longer than a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I would suggest first spending $15 on a Kill-A-Watt knockoff and seeing what the average draw looks like for you under different circumstances.

We got the 256 Wh Anker for our hurricane box (they apparently make up to 2048 Wh :stare:), although more for phones and such than your application (although I need to get a sleep study done sooner rather than later, so that may change). That would seemingly get you through one night at around 30 watts of current draw.

I paid extra for the Anker because, as you noted, the competition was all no-name dropshippers. That combined with large banks of lithium batteries makes me nervous.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hold onto your butts and check ya preps:

quote:

Warm waters across the tropical Atlantic in May 2005 prompted warnings of an active hurricane season ahead. A record-smashing 28 storms formed, including Hurricane Katrina.

Nearly two decades of global warming later, those late-spring ocean temperatures are cool compared with today’s record-hot waters. Government meteorologists issued a seasonal forecast Thursday that predicts that storms could develop at frequencies and with ferocity comparable to some of the worst seasons in the past 19 years.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecast — which calls for 17 to 25 tropical storms, eight to 13 hurricanes and four to seven “major” hurricanes — underscores how dramatically the environment has shifted and increased the risk of destructive weather. The prediction is the most aggressive outlook the agency has ever made ahead of the start of hurricane season.

Evidence of the increasing hurricane risk has mounted with each monster storm that analyses show were juiced by global warming, the consequence of an atmospheric blanket of human-emitted greenhouse gases. As global temperatures rise, cyclones are intensifying about three times faster than they did decades ago as they approach the coast, research published this month found.

Adding to storm risks is a natural planetary shift known to make conditions more ripe for tropical Atlantic activity, from a fading El Niño climate pattern to La Niña by the heart of hurricane season. A similar shift occurred in 2005.

The NOAA forecast aligns with several others from meteorologists who see alarming signs in the tropical Atlantic.

A key forecast issued by Colorado State University last month warned of as many as two dozen tropical storms and as many as five major hurricanes, many of which meteorologists said could be long-lived. Britain’s Met Office on Wednesday predicted 22 tropical storms, with potential for as many as a record-tying 28.

Prime storm conditions are expected by fall

Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf of Mexico on Aug. 28, 2005. (Getty Images)

Tropical systems earn a name from rotating annual lists — this year’s goes from Alberto to William — once they develop rapid rotation around a low-pressure center, with sustained winds of at least 39 mph. They become hurricanes once those winds reach at least 74 mph, and are considered major storms when the winds exceed 110 mph.

Hurricane season begins June 1, and by the typical heart of the season in August and September, conditions are forecast to be prime for such systems to intensify.

This hurricane season could be among the worst in decades, NOAA warns

Hurricane season starts in two weeks: Why you should pay attention and prepare

Given how warm the Atlantic is this spring — with global ocean surface waters having run a fever of record-setting average heat for more than a year now — simple physics suggest it will remain warmer than normal for many months to come. It takes water much longer than land to warm and cool.

Average surface temperatures across the North Atlantic are running more than 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit) above the 1982-2011 average, and nearly 1 degree Celsius above temperatures observed during the record Atlantic hurricane season of 2005.

Warmer water means more energy for tropical storms to feed off and unleash.

Ocean heat in the “main development region” of the Atlantic Ocean, where many tropical storms and hurricanes form, is at record levels. (Brian McNoldy)

And the expectation of a budding La Niña pattern by late summer or early fall means atmospheric patterns will likely be conducive for storms to organize into tightly spinning systems with defined eyes and violent surrounding winds in what are known as eyewalls.

When La Niña is in place, marked by cooler-than-normal waters across the central and eastern Pacific Ocean, atmospheric circulation patterns tend to reduce what is known as wind shear. When wind shear is low, it means there is relatively little difference in wind speeds and directions at varying altitudes, which helps tropical storms spin up and organize.

Global warming is encouraging stronger storms

La Niña conditions serve to magnify the background effect that rising global temperatures are having on tropical cyclones in the Atlantic.

A study found that a growing number of tropical cyclones around the world have undergone what researchers called “extreme” rapid intensification, with their maximum sustained winds increasing by 57 mph or more within a 24-hour period.

Now, there is evidence that storms are intensifying faster as they near U.S. shores, as well as coastal East Asia, according to a study published this month.

People head to a shelter on May 14 during the landfall of Cyclone Mocha in Teknaf, Bangladesh. (Jibon Ahmed/Reuters)

The researchers found that coastal storms’ wind speeds intensified by an average of about 0.4 mph every six hours as they approached the coast from 1979 to 2000. But from 2000 to 2020, that happened more than three times quicker, at a rate of 1.3 mph every six hours.

Along the U.S. coastline, researchers believe that is because of decreasing wind shear and because of increasing relative humidity as land warms faster than oceans.

Karthik Balaguru, a climate and data scientist at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory and the study’s lead author, said the trends could translate to heightened coastal dangers this year given how favorable the environment is likely to be for tropical storm development.

“The ones that form could get strong if these conditions persist,” he said.

Also, reminder: check in with your homeowners/renters insurance provider from time to time and make sure that your coverage is adequate or that there aren't any changes that you've missed.