Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

General Dog posted:

Hired an alleged whiz kid AD and he just calls the one HC he already knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

glad you've come around on schiano

I'll never come around on Schiano, gently caress that guy. And it has zero to do with the alleged PSU stuff that was probably completely unfounded. I had to put up with him as HC of the Bucs and never wanted to do that again.

Also gently caress Clay Travis.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

General Dog posted:

The lengths to which grown adult multi-million dollar business still resembles high school dynamics is endlessly entertaining.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

"Hey this guy has a good track record of hiring coaches"

"What he hired one of the guys he's already hired what an idiot!"

lol

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Weren’t we just taking about Heupel being on the hot seat at UCF

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

Weren’t we just taking about Heupel being on the hot seat at UCF

Im genuinely curious why he would be. He went 28-8(12-1 in 2018, 10-3 in 2019 and 6-4 this year) and this year UCF had more opt outs than pretty much anyone and we saw Cincy do what they did. Do UCF fans think undefeated years are the norm?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Was Lane not answering the phone?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Tired: Poaching AAC coaches in the peak of a run

Wired: Poaching AAC entire athletic departments after the run ends

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 27, 2021

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

General Dog posted:

I wonder who turned UT down for this to happen. I cannot imagine he was the first choice (or in the top 3).

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I’ll see y’all back here in 3 to 4 years when it’s time to start feeling hopeful about Tennessee football again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wait, does this mean the Vols are going to start claiming National Championships with little to no basis in reality? That’s our thing dammit.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Im genuinely curious why he would be. He went 28-8(12-1 in 2018, 10-3 in 2019 and 6-4 this year) and this year UCF had more opt outs than pretty much anyone and we saw Cincy do what they did. Do UCF fans think undefeated years are the norm?

There is a clear year-over-year regression there, and the sentiment from UCF fans is that Heupel was just riding on the last of Frost's coattails. I don't disagree! His UCF teams were incredibly sloppy, Heupel’s playcalling was predictable and questionable, and I wouldn't trust those teams with any lead.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Weird that this guy wasn't at the top of your list until five minutes ago!

He inherited the best situation in the G5 by far and has been steadily moving in the wrong direction. Maybe it's just bad luck and the foundation was still there to be a contender for the G5 playoff spot but it's a weird time for him to get a bigger job. If he'd had another year where they were trending down or more towards the bottom of the AAC upper tier he'd definitely start to get some hot seat talk and probably at least would have had to make serious staff changes, especially on the defensive side.

It's going to be interesting to see what UCF does to replace him. That's a good job; I think there's a decent chance they make a better hire than Tennessee just did.

TheRico
Mar 1, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

The issue is the diminishing returns. Huepel didn't crash the Ferrari in 2018 with the team Frost built, in 2019 despite those 3 losses coming from a combined 5 points the team played horribly in each loss after having a strong start with the Tulsa game being the most egregious of the three. '

Last year, it was clear that the good recruiting and coach of the Frost regime was rotting away as Huepel was adding nothing back to the program and it would only have gotten worse the longer he was at UCF. He looked, coached, and ran a program like a lovely step dad.

To me, he should have been fired after this last season but I'm glad Tennessee is going to be paying his buy out instead of UCF having to fire him after this season.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

He inherited the best situation in the G5 by far and has been steadily moving in the wrong direction. Maybe it's just bad luck and the foundation was still there to be a contender for the G5 playoff spot but it's a weird time for him to get a bigger job. If he'd had another year where they were trending down or more towards the bottom of the AAC upper tier he'd definitely start to get some hot seat talk and probably at least would have had to make serious staff changes, especially on the defensive side.

It's going to be interesting to see what UCF does to replace him. That's a good job; I think there's a decent chance they make a better hire than Tennessee just did.

I get that your thing is being smug and all but why are you being an rear end? I was legitimately asking because I don't follow UCF at all and the most I've looked into them is the 10 minutes or whatever of reading I did previous to that post. I never said he was top of list or even top five. I'm just not ready to write off the whole program because of the hire. I'm also understanding that we're in a place with the potential sanctions that we can't expect a top of the line hire, money or not. No, I don't think this guy is going to save the program but I also don't think he's going to end it. It's just a...fine? hire.

TheRico posted:

Last year, it was clear that the good recruiting and coach of the Frost regime was rotting away as Huepel was adding nothing back to the program and it would only have gotten worse the longer he was at UCF. He looked, coached, and ran a program like a lovely step dad.

I don't get this either, looking at 247 their recruiting rankings were very similar, this year aside? In Frosts two years he had 65th (4th in AAC) and 55th (1st) and in Heupel's he had 62nd (2nd) and 60th (1st). This year was markedly worst at 75(7th), and NSD is next week but I wouldn't expect that to change much, especially now, but the conversation that Frost's classes were so much better doesn't really track.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 27, 2021

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Hope that Tennessee defense has incredible conditioning bc they're gonna be on the field for 40 minutes a game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I get that your thing is being smug and all but why are you being an rear end? I was legitimately asking because I don't follow UCF at all and the most I've looked into them is the 10 minutes or whatever of reading I did previous to that post. I never said he was top of list or even top five. I'm just not ready to write off the whole program because of the hire. I'm also understanding that we're in a place with the potential sanctions that we can't expect a top of the line hire, money or not. No, I don't think this guy is going to save the program but I also don't think he's going to end it. It's just a...fine? hire.

You came off super defensive about it with stuff like this and I thought that was funny

Joey Freshwater posted:

"Hey this guy has a good track record of hiring coaches"

"What he hired one of the guys he's already hired what an idiot!"

lol

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Mike_V posted:

Hope that Tennessee defense has incredible conditioning bc they're gonna be on the field for 40 minutes a game

Anyone good on the defense has transferred already.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Rumors floating around that they were close to a deal with Tony Elliott, but he decided it wasnt the right fit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheRico posted:

Huepel didn't crash the Ferrari in 2018 with the team Frost built

Sometimes I forget this actually happened, and then I laugh when I get reminded of it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

You came off super defensive about it with stuff like this and I thought that was funny

Idk why you'd read that as super defensive, I just think saying a guy makes good hires and then calling him an idiot when he hires a guy that was supposedly one of his good hires is silly.

I don't know dick about poo poo of either of the guys, so I'm trying to figure out why the reaction is "omg worst hire ever gonna kill myself". I think the hire is fine and that's it, based on where we're at as a program, I don't believe we could do much better at this point. If he's better than Pruitt and takes us from dumpster fire to mediocre, gets us past whatever the sanctions wind up being and to a point where bigger names will listen, then fine.

Anyone who thinks we were gonna go get Lane or Franklin or whoever the hell else is delusional. As far as I know the NCAA hasn't even started an investigation yet and the result, if it happens, could be massive or nothing. I'm assuming it's going to be massive knowing the NCAA. Why would any big names want to come here with that hanging over?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think anyone believes that he's the worst coach in the world, just that he seems like a pretty bad one for a program like Tennessee given that his current team has been moving in the wrong direction since he got the job. They weren't going to get someone on the Campbell/Franklin/Fickell level but there are a lot of other guys who it seems like they realistically should be able to get who seem like they'd be better hires than Huepel

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

It also wasn't long ago that Heupel, an OU icon, ran an offense so bad that Stoops had to run him off.

TheRico
Mar 1, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't get this either, looking at 247 their recruiting rankings were very similar, this year aside? In Frosts two years he had 65th (4th in AAC) and 55th (1st) and in Heupel's he had 62nd (2nd) and 60th (1st). This year was markedly worst at 75(7th), and NSD is next week but I wouldn't expect that to change much, especially now, but the conversation that Frost's classes were so much better doesn't really track.

It's one of those things you really notice when you look at a program closely. The dumb penalties, the unnecessary losses, the questionable play calling, it was clear that this program was heading downward the moment Heupel took the job. There was nothing inspiring about him.

I strongly believed Huepel wasn't the guy when UCF brought him in so he sure as hell won't be the guy in Tennessee but as others have noted, its possible he's the fall back coach while Tennessee goes through any NCAA punishment.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wrong direction from an undefeated season and 6-4 in a covid year where half the team opted out? In three years he had two of the top five best seasons UCF has had in 20 years. Had recruiting classes comparable to Frost. That doesn't sound like the same guy everyone is saying has turned the program to trash. I'm just trying to make sense of it, because as I said before I don't know anything about them except looking at stats and then reading what a bunch are saying about him, mostly UCF fans.

I would have loved a guy like Chadwell or Liepold, and who knows if they were even contacted, but I still don't think a lot of people are taking into considerations the sanctions we're likely to get hit with. I obviously didn't think it would be Huepel, though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Scarf posted:

Rumors floating around that they were close to a deal with Tony Elliott, but he decided it wasnt the right fit.

I hope UCF hires him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

It also wasn't long ago that Heupel, an OU icon, ran an offense so bad that Stoops had to run him off.

Yeah that's why I was down on him when UCF hired him. His offenses have at least been good at UCF though.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wrong direction from an undefeated season and 6-4 in a covid year where half the team opted out? In three years he had two of the top five best seasons UCF has had in 20 years. Had recruiting classes comparable to Frost. That doesn't sound like the same guy everyone is saying has turned the program to trash. I'm just trying to make sense of it, because as I said before I don't know anything about them except looking at stats and then reading what a bunch are saying about him, mostly UCF fans.

I would have loved a guy like Chadwell or Liepold, and who knows if they were even contacted, but I still don't think a lot of people are taking into considerations the sanctions we're likely to get hit with. I obviously didn't think it would be Huepel, though.

Frost was digging them out of an 0-12 season with a halfway retired George O'Leary whereas Heupel was inheriting what was by far the best team in the G5. He took over the best situation in the history of the school so I would hope he had some of their best seasons. Like I said he wasn't awful but calling going from 0 to 1 to 3 to 4 losses a downward trend doesn't seem very controversial. I'd want to see him get them back up to potential G5 playoff team before giving him a bigger (and indisputably much harder) job.

I can't imagine they made a serious push for someone like Chadwell and got turned down, he's literally the lowest paid coach in FBS and Leipold isn't much higher. Hope both those guys get a look by UCF.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's certainly possible that Heupel is fine, but three years as an okay-to-decent caretaker for a strong program he inherited doesn't exactly scream "can't-miss candidate." Nobody else seemed to be beating his door down in the past couple of hiring cycles. Programs can often maintain momentum on and off the field under lesser management for a while before gravity catches up with them (think Helfrich at Oregon, Coker at Miami, Charlie Strong at USF, etc.). Of course there's the occasional John L. Smith or Ellis Johnson who are miraculously able to run a program into the ground in a single year, but those are rarities.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 27, 2021

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Regnevelc posted:

Anyone good on the defense has transferred already.

There are two kids off the top of my head that transferred from Tennessee to UCF, both were offense though lol

This is one:

https://twitter.com/AsapTatum/status/1354452958692442113?s=20

MourningView posted:

Frost was digging them out of an 0-12 season with a halfway retired George O'Leary whereas Heupel was inheriting what was by far the best team in the G5. He took over the best situation in the history of the school so I would hope he had some of their best seasons. Like I said he wasn't awful but calling going from 0 to 1 to 3 to 4 losses a downward trend doesn't seem very controversial. I'd want to see him get them back up to potential G5 playoff team before giving him a bigger (and indisputably much harder) job.

I can't imagine they made a serious push for someone like Chadwell and got turned down, he's literally the lowest paid coach in FBS and Leipold isn't much higher. Hope both those guys get a look by UCF.

Fair enough. The 'rumor' on Chadwell is that he had NCAA sanctions at Charleston Southern so that may be why he wasn't contacted but internet etc.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Josh Heupel is not a good coach. He has the most predictable offensive playbook I've ever seen, his teams are the least disciplined teams I've ever had the pleasure of cheering for, and he makes no gameplay adjustments.

That said, I did NOT want to lose him now. UCF is hosed for a bit now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

zimbomonkey posted:

Josh Heupel is not a good coach. He has the most predictable offensive playbook I've ever seen, his teams are the least disciplined teams I've ever had the pleasure of cheering for, and he makes no gameplay adjustments.

That said, I did NOT want to lose him now. UCF is hosed for a bit now.

Having it come in late January kind of sucks, but if you truly think the program was in decline, it's probably for the best to have someone take him off your hands. It doesn't do anyone any good for you to go 7-5 next year and 6-6 the year after and then fire him. UCF is appealing enough you could maybe land one of the more exciting G5 candidates that everyone's been talking up for the last few months.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

General Dog posted:

Having it come in late January kind of sucks, but if you truly think the program was in decline, it's probably for the best to have someone take him off your hands. It doesn't do anyone any good for you to go 7-5 next year and 6-6 the year after and then fire him. UCF is appealing enough you could maybe land one of the more exciting G5 candidates that everyone's been talking up for the last few months.

Recruiting is going to be a huge issue in a year that it already wasn't looking so hot. Not to mention the fact that we've lost several marquee players even outside of graduating seniors.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

zimbomonkey posted:

Recruiting is going to be a huge issue in a year that it already wasn't looking so hot. Not to mention the fact that we've lost several marquee players even outside of graduating seniors.

Well at least you lost him after signing day

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I thought they'd get someone better than Heupel last time but there really aren't many better G5 jobs, especially if you're looking for a springboard to a P5 gig, I think they can get someone good still unless they're secretly broke or something. Transition classes are usually rough but they should be in a good spot to rebound pretty quickly

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

MourningView posted:

I thought they'd get someone better than Heupel last time but there really aren't many better G5 jobs, especially if you're looking for a springboard to a P5 gig, I think they can get someone good still unless they're secretly broke or something.

Boy it's gonna be hard to build a program as a springboard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zimbomonkey posted:

Well yeah but unfortunately that's every G5 team. Either you're medicore or you lose your coach after a couple good years. Cinci is lucky that Fickell seems pretty picky but even they're losing coordinators and will probably lose him relatively soon.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zimbomonkey posted:

He has the most predictable offensive playbook I've ever seen

It works often enough that it's funny as hell.

'Ok, here we're gonna run (we're probably not going to do that unless you give us a perfect look), throw a WR screen, or throw a bomb.' And the defense just short circuits and lets it happen.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

It works often enough that it's funny as hell.

'Ok, here we're gonna run (we're probably not going to do that unless you give us a perfect look), throw a WR screen, or throw a bomb.' And the defense just short circuits and lets it happen.

That works when your players can easily outrun/outmuscle most of the other team's top talent.

Tennessee... Ain't gonna be like that in Tennessee.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

zimbomonkey posted:

You see a number of G5 programs that have achieved pretty good stability over the course of numerous coaching changes. You put money into facilities and have a well-managed athletic department and fundraising apparatus and avoid disastrous hires, you can keep the floor pretty high. Houston has been something of a model program in that regard. Not all of the coaching hires have been great, but none of them have driven the program in the dirt either, so they've always got about a 7 win floor they can build on. Boise too, I suppose.

Basically in G5, even in the AAC, if you can assemble a competently-run athletic program that's adequately funded and has some idea of what it wants, that's going to get you pretty far year in and year out.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean it worked somewhat well (as far as scoring points goes) for Missouri.

It just doesn't seem to be the ideal way to win games unless you've got a mountain of a defense.