Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the story makes slightly more sense if you haven't done Cass' dive as soon as possible, because as it is the moment she blows up at him comes after the part where she agrees to give him a chance inside her subconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
How do you kids still have this much energy? Wait, why am I asking, Kitty Candy. Then I guess you need a story, so let’s get back to Ion and her friend. They were getting ready to head to Tenryosara, as I recall.

These, right?
Station Attendant: Okay, thank you.
Please enter.

I’m a big fan of every mode of transport that doesn’t require me to walk.

I’m excited, too./I don’t really care for trains.
I really like riding in things. I haven’t in a long time… I’m feeling pretty happy.
Oh, here it comes! Wow! It’s a double-decker!
Earthes, let’s get on!

Feinne’s Notes:
The other option just has her say she’ll try to curb her enthusiasm in the future.

Anyway they found a nice quiet corner of the train, which let them discuss their situation.

Riding this is a lot of fun, and it looks all retro. I like it.
The click-clack of the rails is really relaxing, too…
…It’s making me kind of sleepy.
What are you planning to do?
Oh, right, I brought you along but I haven’t really explained anything to you yet.
I’m sorry it took me so long to get around to this.
Did you see a girl named Nelo right after I woke up?
She’s not from this world, like me.
She was brought here by force, a very long time ago.
Nelo wants to go back to her world. She always has.
She doesn’t care of she has to destroy this entire world to do it.
Why was she brought here?/No interest.
That’s part of the story of the planet Ra Ciela…

Ion then told Earthes a story.

Nelo and I were brought here with that technology—Nelo about 5000 years before me.
Ra Ciela needed Nelo because of a special ability called “Oversight” unique to people from our dimension.
That power was used to create a system called the “Cielnotron” which allowed anyone to easily use Song Magic.
Anyway…to keep the system running, Nelo was forced to sleep for a very long time.
Like Nelo, I was brought here because they wanted my Oversight ability.
I was supposed to use that power to complete a mass planetary migration.
They wanted me to find a new planet similar to Ra Ciela, then teleport everyone there.
…I know it was wrong to force us here, but Ra Ciela was on the brink of destruction.
I…I don’t think they had a choice.
You don’t want to return, Ion?
Me…? No, I do want to go back…
But not if the price is destroying a whole world.
That’s why I need to stop Nelo.

I suppose this does bear mentioning, in the past Ion had seven allies who assisted her. Of them we’ve met four: Delta, Cass, Nay, and Sarly.

If I can get them all to sing a song of hope, then I’m sure we can make Nelo and this world happier.
I’ll need your help for that too.

I guess this probably seems really sudden and weird. Sorry.
There’s…probably going to be more stuff you don’t understand later on too.
But I know you’ll figure it out eventually, so don’t let it worry you too much.
You weren’t in the Bezelietron when I woke up.
And yet you already know who Nelo is.
Right?
You’ve already seen everything.
You can probably see a lot that I can’t…
Sorry. I know it’s hard to understand.
Just forget about it for now, and try and learn as much as you can about this world.
Please…
Announcement: We thank you for your patience. This train will be making its final stop at Tenryosara shortly.
Please be sure not to forget any personal articles when leaving the train.
Oh, looks like we’re almost there. Let’s go, Earthes!

Though the details would be tricky to work out, I can’t fault the overall plan. There’s just about nothing with the concentrated power of hope.

Anyway, they’d reached Tenryosara, the only real city on the surface of Sharanohiar.

Manjusara was a city I lived in for a while, a long time ago.
There were a lot of nice people there… It wasn’t fancy or anything, but it was very friendly.
Why does this place look like Manjusara, though? The station especially looks almost identical.
I wish you could have visited Manjusara.
Anyway, let’s start looking for people!

Once again, they asked around to try and get some information. And once again, the local Sharl were quite helpful.

Huh? Yeah, how did you know?
General Store: I’ve been working here for a long time, something like that is easy to notice.
Oh.
General Store: You must have met the Enlightened Sovereign, then. All humans who come here get blessed by her.
Enlightened Sovereign!? Is that…!
U-Um, where can I go to meet this Enlightened Sovereign?
General Store: What? You haven’t met her yet? That’s not good. You need to go to Tenryo Temple right away for your blessing!
Um…how do I get there?
General Store: Just keep going up the street. Imperial Avenue is on the way, and it’s dangerous. Be careful!
Thank you so much! I’ll get going right away!
General Store: Okay, come back anytime!

While Ion seemed to have some idea who the Enlightened Sovereign might be, her ally was in the dark.

She’s probably one of the people I’m looking for. Her name is Kanon.
It’s been a long time, so the Enlightened Sovereign could be a completely different person.
I hope it’s still Kanon…
Anyway, let’s go to Tenryo Temple.

They got a bit more information on the town before they left.

Sharl: A Purification Site floating in the sky is just amazing. It’s great for meditation.
You should try going there when you have a chance. It looks like they welcome humans, too!

Feinne’s Notes:
You do in fact have to talk to the General Store in Tenryosara to progress, Imperial Avenue and Tenryo Temple only appear after that scene.

Ion and Earthes headed to Tenryo Temple, but encountered a bit of a problem.

Sharl: Do you have business here?
Tenryo Temple is a sacred place, where the Enlightened Sovereign resides.
It is not a place mere humans can approach freely.
U-Um, is the Enlightened Sovereign Kanon?
Sharl: How rude. The Enlightened Sovereign’s name is indeed Her Highness Kanoyeel, but what of it?
I knew it…!
Um, I need to see Kanon! Please let me in!
Sharl: Impossible. Only Sharl with the most pure souls are permitted an audience with Her Highness.
It would be unthinkable for a human, much less one as rude as yourself, to meet her.
But Kanon is my friend…
Sharl: Your friend? The Enlightened Sovereign has no human friends.
Wh-Why would you say that?
Sharl: Such a question does not need to be answered.
Now, be gone from here at once.
…What should I do? If I say my name, I’m sure Kanon would realize who I am.
It would be bad to stand out here./Tell them your name.
You’re probably right. Making a big deal would probably just cause trouble for Kanon.
We should come by another time.

Feinne’s Notes:
So I kinda blew it with that choice in some respects, I actually figured Ion wouldn’t be willing to tell them who she was so that choice didn’t matter at all. If you suggest it, she will in fact tell them who she is. The Sharl will then tell us that she’ll take a message but Kanon’s not even in, which is what in theory would let us know we should be looking elsewhere. The only other place we can go is Imperial Avenue, so let’s look around there.

Since they couldn’t get in to see Kanon, they decided to look around the Imperial Avenue. Down in a corner, they found a rather oddly well-guarded area.

Look! There’s a Guardian over there!
It looks like it’s protecting that entrance, but I wonder why…
What should we do?
Charge in like it’s obvious./Look them in the eye while backing away slowly.
Hey! Wait, Earthes!

Feinne’s Notes:
This is a pretty easy fight against a few Guardians.

If you’re wondering how we know we need to do this, technically I’m not even sure we do at this point. We’ll be by here no matter what eventually, though, so we might as well do it now.

Still, I guess we can get through now.
We don’t know what’s up ahead, but we should have a look.

They entered a huge room full of junk.

Although it seems a little too empty… It’s kinda eerie…
Maybe we can find some clues here…?

In its depths, they found a strange lab.

I wonder what they were researching… Let’s take a look around.
It says… SHS Heteromycin improvements and results?
I swear I’ve heard of SHS Heteromycin before…
…I don’t remember. I wonder if there’s anything around here that might tell us…
Found it! Let’s see here…
“…allows the creation of a Master Sharl, capable of controlling manmade, mindless beings called Sharl.”
“If a Sharl needs strong Song Magic, a Chain is required while in such a controlled state.”
“Administration of this drug to a single Sharl will allow the individual control over all other Sharl.”
“Furthermore, current trials of a beta version are testing the viability of using Dream Genom to control Sharl.”
Controlling Sharl… What does this mean?
What is Zill doing…?

I think you can guarantee whatever it is, she’s up to no good. On the other end of the Avenue they found the Sharl Road, the route the Sharl used to travel to the Soreil proper. And they weren’t alone.

Video- “Kanon”

Watch

Wait, that’s…!

It seemed she had found her friend.

Those who work tirelessly to achieve greater heights for their souls!
Your help is needed today.
There are humans who wander blindly through the darkness, tormented by doubt and guilt.
It is our duty to save them. We must purge the demons which reside within the hearts of mankind.
That is the reason we have gathered here, on this road leading to the Demon World!
…There was a time when even my own heart was corrupted by demons.
Although I lived among the pure souls of the Genom, demons lived in my heart.
As a human…I committed a mortal sin.
The deeds of demons within my fellow humans destroyed the Genom race. That is undeniable.
I believed that, after committing that crime, we would be destined to live in eternal atonement.
That seems like the only redemption for such a horrible act.
But Cosal, the Lord of Genom, still seeks to forgive and save us.
I’ve found myself deeply moved by his dignified and merciful heart.

Guilt is just as dangerous in excess as it is in deficit. If you’re not careful, it can lead to actions that send it spiraling out of control. Just…well, I know about guilt.

I pray that the souls of the Genom within your hearts can save them.
We seek salvation for all mankind. May their souls be guided to this shining land of Sharanohiar!
Please forgive me, for all I can do is pray from this place.
Please forgive me, for all I can do is sing from this place.
May this song guide you in saving the people trapped in that world of eternal darkness!

Feinne’s Notes:
This is the third time we’ve heard the song used in the opening. Again, though, we’ll actually hear it named and in full much later in the game so I’d rather not link it now. It will play in place of the BGM for the Sharl Road until we talk to Kanon.

After the Sharl left, Ion approached her friend.

Video- “Old Friends”

Watch

It couldn’t be…Ionasal?!
Why are you here?
Um…that was a very lovely song.
Thank you, but this isn’t a song that deserves such praise.
I am merely a representative of God, singing to call back the souls of the humans trapped in the abyss below.
Um…where did those Sharl go?
On a mission of salvation. The humans’ hearts have been consumed by demons.
It is our duty, and our trial, to save them and purify their souls.
Does that mean the Sharl and humans are going to…fight?
…That is very likely. I agree, it is most regrettable.
How many of those Sharl will return once again to this shining land of Sharanohiar?
But nevertheless, they continue to extend the hand of salvation to the tormented human race.
The Sharl are truly benevolent.
All I can do for them is to offer a prayer and a song. If only there was more…
Kanon…
Ah, I apologize for rambling on.

Given Kanon’s reaction to Ion’s appearance, I would guess she didn’t know the circumstances that led to her ‘assisting’ them.

…I’m here because I need your help with something, Kanon.
My help?
Yes. To help protect everybody who lives in this world.
…That does sound important.
We shouldn’t stand around talking here, so please come to Tenryo Temple. You’re welcome any time.
Okay. Thanks!

As for the rest of their meeting, that will have to wait until next time. Sorry, I know you’re still wired, but I don’t have that luxury. Try to get some sleep.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Objects in Motion

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

A few years pass; Delta & Cas reach their late teens. Cas uses the syringe she picked up near the end of Ciel Nosurge to become a hitogata/whatever you call reyvatails in Nosurge, Delta & Cas join PLASMA.
Let's just call a spade a spade here: they're song wizards.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Choralmancers

So, Kanon knows Ion was sleeping and where she was. That doesn't really bode well does it? She's basically been using Ion to make more and more Sharl for her to attack Felion.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

FractalSandwich posted:

Let's just call a spade a spade here: they're song wizards.
But in this world, anyone can sing song magic :eng101: What Cas/Sarly can do is also provide power for their own/other people's songs, which normally require connection to a genom.

It just so happens that everyone who sings song magic in the games is female (moderate Ciel Nosurge spoiler) or in the body of one, anyway because Reasons. Probably fanservice Reasons.

All I want is a dudevateil, why do they crush my heart :(

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Argas posted:

Choralmancers

So, Kanon knows Ion was sleeping and where she was. That doesn't really bode well does it? She's basically been using Ion to make more and more Sharl for her to attack Felion.

As we continue discussions with her next update, I think it'll become pretty clear that she is under the impression that Ion was helping them voluntarily.

Panic! At Nabisco posted:

All I want is a dudevateil, why do they crush my heart

Well as you note that's totally theoretically possible in future Surge Concerto games (hah yeah like it'll ever happen unless they potentially offer a female MC option or something). There are no male Reyvateils meanwhile because at some level all of them are copies of the three Origins with varying level of fidelity.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 1, 2015

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
That is... not really how I would have expected a reunion between Ion and Kanon to go. To put it mildly.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It just so happens that everyone who sings song magic in the games is female (moderate Ciel Nosurge spoiler) or in the body of one, anyway because Reasons. Probably fanservice Reasons.
That reminds me of my favorite line from the summary.

quote:

"This body is just a vessel. Even though I look like this, I'm really an old man of 70." Nay makes a very strange sound, bordering perfectly between disgust and awe.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

That is... not really how I would have expected a reunion between Ion and Kanon to go. To put it mildly.

This is something that I don't even need to say 'nah it'll make sense eventually' because really it'll make sense pretty fast, since between their conversation in the next update and the exploration of how Kanon views their relationship in their Dive coming up it's actually pretty reasonable that regardless of their history she's really glad to see her right now.

Pretty much everyone in the cast who's at all ethical and sane is in a really poo poo position one way or the other right now and they are all coping with it in wildly different ways. And what I'll say about Kanon is that her way is increasingly not working for her.

I'm going to need a rest day in the next couple of days, might just post new trivia for Friday.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 1, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Well as you note that's totally theoretically possible in future Surge Concerto games (hah yeah like it'll ever happen unless they potentially offer a female MC option or something).
That would be a hell of a letdown. I don't know why these games use male main characters to begin with when they don't even wring any good old fashioned homoeroticism out of them.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Croix learned Hymmnos on his own accord to sing to Mir, Gust knew that they could only go down from there. :colbert:

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Welp, I went and got this game off of the Golden Week PSN sale. Last time I played an Ar (whatever) game, it was Qoga.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

That would be a hell of a letdown. I don't know why these games use male main characters to begin with when they don't even wring any good old fashioned homoeroticism out of them.

AT2 had some, there was that dude who was gay for Croix, the outcome for Luca and Cloche in Mir's ending, and of course the true antagonists of the whole shebang.

I suppose you'll have to wait and see if Ar Nosurge can match it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Feinne posted:

AT2 had some, there was that dude who was gay for Croix, the outcome for Luca and Cloche in Mir's ending, and of course the true antagonists of the whole shebang.

I mean if you're also counting women then you pretty much have to throw in Akane and Finnel from AT3 as well. They even intertwined their fingers while blushing when they were reunited in the ending, in anime girl terms that's like one step short of getting married.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Given the way Kanon and Ion parted ways in Ciel , this was a really confusing scene when I played the game myself.

Here's the town music for Tenryosara. Not a big fan of this one either.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
On a scale from 1 to Tucker's Kobolds, how much of a trap is Kanon setting up for Ion right now?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

On a scale from 1 to Tucker's Kobolds, how much of a trap is Kanon setting up for Ion right now?

We'll find out later, because looking at my available time it makes much more sense to post trivia tomorrow and an update today.

I will say that traps aren't really Kanon's sort of thing.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The story’s starting to get interesting, I’ve actually started really looking forward to this. Last time, Ion was reunited with Kanon. Now, we’ll see how the attempt to convince her to help went.

I feel the same. It has been quite some time.
However you do not seem to have changed at all.
You’ve changed…a little.
Is that so?
…Well, maybe not. But a lot has happened.
What was it you wished to speak to me about?
It must be something important if it brought you down from the Star Singer’s Platform.
Yes, but…could you explain what’s going on here first?
Do you refer to my status?
Honestly, I’ve been sleeping for so long, I really don’t have any idea what’s going on out here…
Like, why are the Sharl fighting with humans…?
To say the Sharl are “fighting” humans is somewhat misleading…
But I can see why you would find our current situation difficult to grasp.

Kanon seemed under the mistaken impression that Ion was willingly helping them, though this was just one of many things she was entirely incorrect about.

What…?
Do not worry. The Sharl you created have become the new vessels for the revived Genom.
Wait a minute, Kanon, what are you saying?
Why are you so surprised?
I reincarnate the souls of the Genom into the Sharl which you create.
That is the only way in which we can redeem ourselves.
I-I didn’t go to sleep to create Sharl, or anything like that.
Nelo is…trying to use the Sharl to return to her world.
She put me to sleep as part of her plan.
Nelo? The girl who came here across dimensions, as you did?
How does she intend to use the Sharl to return to her world?
She’s probably planning to use the Sharl as some sort of energy source to cross dimensions.
No, not just the Sharl. All living things, and this world itself as well.
She’s going to use up all the power she can get her hands on.
She still exists…? I have trouble believing that.
I’m telling you the truth. We have to stop her, we have to get everybody together and weave a new song.

With enough time, she might have actually been able to convince her.

…Ionasal.
We seem to both be missing a great deal of information.
I will Chain my Soulscape with yours. In that way, you can witness events I have experienced.
…Thank you very much, Kanon.
Quell->EX[lic]->{hymi KANOYEEL⇔IONASAL};

Unfortunately, they were interrupted by a particularly unwelcome guest.

…Please tell her that I will see her shortly.
Ionasal, you must hide behind one of those pillars. Do not allow yourself to be seen.
O-Okay.

Video- “Things Break Down”

Watch

I appreciate your concern, but please, no more formalities, Zillium.
Oh my… Did I hurt your feelings?
…What business do you have today?
The sad truth is that only a short time ago, humans destroyed part of the Flask Sea.
As a result, part of Sharanohiar has disappeared, near the Green Ocean Hills.
I see… So it has come to this…
The human resistance is growing stronger. If this continues, the rest of Sharanohiar may disappear.
If we lose the Flask Sea, we lose the only place where we can purify corrupted humans.
And more importantly, you will be unable to implement “yal fii-ne noh-iar”.
I can understand why they do it. In the past, I likely would have done the same thing…
They can’t see the truth, and I feel sorry for them. We must save them as soon as possible.

Zill decided to stop beating around the bush and get to the point of her visit.

What is it?
We must send all the Sharl in Sharanohiar to the Demon World, so they might bring salvation.
We must guide every single human to the Flask Sea.
I see… I do wish to help, but I do not have the ability to command the Sharl.
I only use prayer and song to request their benevolence. They do as I ask of their own free will.
You are too modest.
The Genom God Cosal resides within you. You are His representative.
The Sharl and I respect and revere that spirit.
When it comes to commanding, the Church will gladly lend you aid.
We only wish to create a true paradise through “yal fii-ne noh-iar”.
But…
The decision is yours to make, your Highness.
Please consider my request.
…I will think on it.
Please do, but there is not much time. I pray that you will make the right choice for this world.
I will take my leave for today.

Zill then left, presumably to oversee the deaths of cute animals or a delicate candy-theft operation.

It’s okay now, Ionasal.
Um… What did she mean by guiding humans to the Flask Sea?
That is their salvation.
Humans are unable to nurture their souls on their own. The demons lurking there prevent growth.
The Flask Sea exists to purify such humans.
…What happens to humans who have been purified?
They are guided here, to Sharanohiar. I’m sure everyone will eventually be able to live here.
But…I’ve barely seen any humans.
The Flask Sea works slowly, yet surely.
Like the waves smoothing the edges of a stone, or a brook turning mud to clear water.

At this point Ion got to the rather important question, and the awful truth of the situation.

It is the time of judgment and rebirth.
Judgment and…rebirth?
This world is a planet which is not yet a planet.
The land may be restored through the atonement of humans, but that is not enough to create a true planet.
Do you know why?
N-No…
Because humans cannot comprehend the true nature of love. That is what makes our land so unstable.
Long ago, humans destroyed the beautiful planet of the Genom, so that we might continue to exist.
What…?

I once briefly met, well, an echo of one of the few people who might be as smart as me. She spent her whole life trying to perfect a method of creating real, living land.

That, along with salvation for humanity through atonement to the Genom, is my wish.
…What will happen to the humans?
Those who cannot heal their souls will become a part of the planet itself.
They will learn love for their planet by becoming the grass, trees, and water. Their souls will become pure.
No!
I mean, I know we destroyed our planet…
And that’s something that can’t be forgiven.
But that’s no reason to force everyone into the Flask Sea!
Coercion does not always imply wickedness.
If you found an injured bird, and when you tried to help it resisted, would you leave it to die?
That’s not…
But it is. I cannot leave humans to continue down the path to ruin.

She was…not exactly ethical, and in the end the darkness of her own heart doomed her effort. But in spite of this, even she considered the entire effort a waste if it could not be achieved without the sacrifice of lives.

…You want to talk?
The last “talk” humans had on this subject brought about the death of the entire Genom race.
They sealed the fate of an entire planet. No.

Ionasal, I believed that you had come down from the Star Singer’s Platform to atone for your past sins.
I believed you would pray for this land, and sing for all life on Sharanohiar. Alongside me.
I believed such an atonement was possible.
But if you refuse to reflect upon your past sins, I cannot allow you to walk freely upon Sharanohiar.

Because no world born stained in the blood and pain of countless lives could ever be a home. Kanon should have seen this, but she was blinded by guilt over her role in the destruction of Ra Ciela.

It is my duty to watch over Sharanohiar from Tenryo Temple.
I cannot allow sinful humans to walk upon this beautiful land.
In the name of the Enlightened Sovereign, I shall send you back to the Star Singer’s Platform!
Kanon, please, listen to me!
There is no point to further dialogue. Return to the tower and purify yourself, Ionasal.

…Earthes, help me!
You intend to resist? Your actions help no one, Ionasal!
I’m sorry, but there’s no way I can go back to the Star Singer’s Platform now!
…You have my permission to use Song Magic. Do your best not to injure her, and return her to the tower.

In spite of her words, Kanon’s effort to capture Ion was halfhearted. She didn’t even join in the battle.

Feinne’s Notes:
We are thrown into a fight with six Sharl, they’ve got more health than usual but aren’t any real threat.

In the end, all Ion had managed to accomplish was to make things worse.

Pursue them, but use restraint if she takes refuge in Tenryosara. I don’t want to disturb the townspeople.
Sharl: Understood.
…You seem very dedicated to your task, Ionasal.
But the same could be said for me. I have already made one terrible mistake too many.
I must prepare for “yal fii-ne noh-iar”. First-class Sharl, come with me to the Altar of Nohiar.
Those without more pressing concerns are to head to the Demon World to aid in salvation.
And all of you… Thank you for your help.

In order to stave off her own uncertainty, Kanon was forced to act.

Feinne’s Notes:
Now that we’ve heard the Flask Sea has been damaged, we can actually switch back to Delta and Cass’ side of the story. We’re going to keep following Ion and Earthes for now, though, because we’d just get roadblocked partway through if we switched.

Their escape was further blocked by some Guardians.

We can fight it together./It’s okay. I’m here with you.
Yeah… You’re right! I’m not alone anymore.
If we work together, we can take this thing down!

Feinne’s Notes:
Another mini-boss, cut through the Sharl quickly so you can start Breaking the Guardian because it does get a lot of actions.

Haaa…haaa… We should be okay for now.
That was…kind of a surprise.
…Kanon.
Why are you doing this…?
Why…?

Kanon’s decision to go along with Zill’s plan from earlier actually worked in Ion’s favor, since it would largely prevent any real effort to follow her.

Announcement: The time for the realization of our dream, “yal fii-ne noh-iar” is nearly upon us.
Is this voice…Kanon!?
Announcement: Unfortunately, some humans refuse to reflect upon their sins, and continue to resist.
…Let us bestow upon them the final mercy. That is our duty, after all.
All Sharl of souls below first class, proceed to the Demon World via the Sharl Road!
Now is the time to bring salvation to all humans!
Sharl A: Looks like we’re finally going to start “yal fii-ne noh-iar”!
Sharl B; Great! Let’s go to the Demon World!
…Kanon!

They were further in luck when they stumbled upon some friends in Tenryosara.

T-Tattoria!?
What are you doing here? …And why does it look like you’re trying to hide?
Quiet! I’m being chased! Please, just keep quiet!
What!? T-That’s a big problem! Alright, come with me back to my shop!
They’ll never find you there!

Honokano village was almost empty when they returned.

Didn’t you hear the announcement? Everyone headed to the Demon World to work towards salvation.
No… All the Sharl in this village are going off to fight?
You really are a little strange.
It doesn’t matter if the Sharl live here in this village or not.
If it’s something the Sharl must do, then we all work together to accomplish it.
Aren’t humans like that?
…I don’t know.
Oh?
Everyone needs to work together to make the world we all live in better. I think that’s pretty obvious.
So are you going too, Tattoria?
I know I should probably go. But I just can’t bring myself to do it.
I see…

Though they needed to hurry and find a solution to the current issue, Ion still wished to understand Kanon better. But her efforts to do so will have to wait for next time.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Pride

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

"Glad you could join us Ion"
"Actually this whole plan is a trap by Nelo"
"Whatever, I'm going on with it anyway"
"but"
"lalala not listening"
:ughh:

At least say something on how now that you've been warned you can make sure Nelo's betrayal will fail, Kanon. This idiocy goes far beyond guilt complex and sunk cost fallacy.

She even acknowledges that both her and Ion are missing critical information, she seriously cannot be so pressed for time that she can't take half a day to share notes. Even if she was, Ion's reveal is so big that a delay is well worth investigating it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Kanon is a bit dumb and a lot stubborn, the worst combo.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

She's also really full of conviction and considering what happened in Ciel Nosurge, it's not too surprising.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Right up until she actually talked with Ion about things she also pretty clearly thought that Ion was helping them out of her own free will and was down with everything they were doing, which was probably a pretty great comfort because it was someone who wasn't a loving psycho that was on the side she'd picked. She's clearly uncomfortable with the fact that she's sharing a side with Zill and doesn't even believe Nelo's still alive.

Her Dive is going to actually pretty nicely explain why she is still going through with this even though it's increasingly obvious it's a bad idea, and as we reach the end of the Phase we'll get the rest of the picture.

Oh, so here's a big thing:

We've got a few more updates of Ion and Earthes before we head back over to Delta and Cass. Once both channels reach time parity, we'll have a choice of which side we want to finish the Phase with first. I'll likely have a vote shortly after we start Delta and Cass' episode (since right now it's kind of a blind choice), because I'm perfectly fine to do either.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

You would think that after the poo poo she pulled last game, Kanon would know that any side that Zill agrees with is the wrong one.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
But then again Kanon got vaporized and yet here she is. The music in her genometrics is my favorite of that kind.

Also since we've got a new crew and a new shop, it's synthesis time! This song is for medicine type items, its apparently a dumb japanese wordplay again (kusuri, risku)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DOZruDd_UI

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I'd love to know how Zill pulled Kanon back from being vaporized and if it had a negative effect on the universe or not. Also a question on a few updates back when Sarly was surprised at Ion still being alive , I thought the entire plan was to find Ion again and work from there with the planet finding, did I get that wrong or did Nay just not tell everyone or something?

Cause I swear Renall and Shirotaka had a conversation about figuring out that Nelo had warped herself and Ion like 5000 years into the future in the Ciel Nosurge summary.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

A Cup of Ramen posted:

I'd love to know how Zill pulled Kanon back from being vaporized and if it had a negative effect on the universe or not. Also a question on a few updates back when Sarly was surprised at Ion still being alive , I thought the entire plan was to find Ion again and work from there with the planet finding, did I get that wrong or did Nay just not tell everyone or something?

Cause I swear Renall and Shirotaka had a conversation about figuring out that Nelo had warped herself and Ion like 5000 years into the future in the Ciel Nosurge summary.

Pretty hard for either of those people to tell us jack poo poo since they were both stuck back at Ra Ciela.

We saw Kanon's body back in the Genomirai Church basement and one presumes they got her soul back the same way they're getting all these Genom.

Trivia in a bit, update tomorrow. Also you'll actually get to see the impact of that grid in the Dives on battle lines because Ion ended up in a corner after Kanon 1.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 2, 2015

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

FrickenMoron posted:

But then again Kanon got vaporized and yet here she is.
Yeah, I was kinda expecting Ion to be more "Kanon is alive!?" than "Oh, that must be Kanon, it'll be nice to see her again."

Porush
Dec 26, 2012

A Cup of Ramen posted:

They actually had a conversation about how Shirotaka was going into hibernation for 5000 years, and waiting while he was asleep for someone to give him a ride to the new planet. It's in chapter 12-15. I checked the chapters following Nero's final appearance and I don't remember anything about Nero being sent to a particular location in time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Paracelsus posted:

Yeah, I was kinda expecting Ion to be more "Kanon is alive!?" than "Oh, that must be Kanon, it'll be nice to see her again."

This game actually came out before Ciel was finished, maybe that had something to do with some inconsitencies.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Here's some more trivia for you guys, and reminder we should have an update tomorrow.

Mute Tier (1 Point):

This song was used to confront an infinitely-regenerating Guardian in Ar Tonelico 2.

This airship engineer traveled across the world of Ar Ciel in search of her lost boyfriend.

This singer provided the voice of General Akane in Ar Tonelico Qoga’s Hymmnos Concert.

Ar Tonelico 2’s Croix used this sort of weapon.

One of these floating land masses around the tower of Ar Tonelico was destroyed by Mir before she was originally imprisoned.

Misha Tier (3 Points):

Aurica created this unexpectedly successful food product, which was one of the strongest healing items in Ar Tonelico.

A terrible ‘disease’ ravaged the land surrounding the Tower of Frelia known as IPD. What did that mean?

This forgotten Will of Ar Ciel represents song.

Mir Tier (5 Points):

What song does this segment of Hymmnos come from? Who sings it and what was its purpose?

Fou ki ra hyear presia reen
Was zweie ra na stel yorra zueig manaf
Ma zweie ra irs mana chyet oz omnis

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Feinne posted:

Here's some more trivia for you guys, and reminder we should have an update tomorrow.

Mute Tier (1 Point):

One of these floating land masses around the tower of Ar Tonelico was destroyed by Mir before she was originally imprisoned.

The Right Wing of Horus

Misha Tier (3 Points):

A terrible ‘disease’ ravaged the land surrounding the Tower of Frelia known as IPD. What did that mean?

Infel Phira Dependency

Mir Tier (5 Points):

What song does this segment of Hymmnos come from? Who sings it and what was its purpose?

This is EXEC_COSMOFLIPS. Tyria sings it so she can merge with Ar Ru and communicate with Ar Ciel.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mute Tier (1 Point):

This airship engineer traveled across the world of Ar Ciel in search of her lost boyfriend.

Krusche Elendia

Misha Tier (3 Points):

Suzunomia

Mir Tier (5 Points):

EXEC_COSMOFLIPS, sung by Tyria. It was part of the Planet Regeneration Project and is used to absorb Ar Ru into Tyria and communicate with Ar Ciel.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

1 point:
This singer provided the voice of General Akane in Ar Tonelico Qoga’s Hymmnos Concert.

yoko

3 points:
Aurica created this unexpectedly successful food product, which was one of the strongest healing items in Ar Tonelico.

BBQ Soda.

5 points:

EXEC_COSMOFLIPS/., sung by Tyria to merge Ar Ru into herself for the purpose of communicating with Ar Ciel.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
I'll only go for ones not answered yet.

This song was used to confront an infinitely-regenerating Guardian in Ar Tonelico 2.
EXEC_DESPEDIA?

No idea of the actual name but a Lance/Gun/Rocket

Infel Phira Dependency

Lando131 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 3, 2015

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Feinne posted:

Mute Tier (1 Point):

Misha Tier (3 Points):

MUTE TIER:

Krusche

SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET SPEAR SHIELD MACHINE GUN ROCKET

MISHA TIER:

BBQ Soda

Infel Pira Dependency

S...Soma?

I'm only answering these from memory. It feels like cheating to go back and re-re-re-read the LP's to get the answers.

EDIT TIME 2 COMBO: vvvvv Sometimes being overly creative can really screw you up but AT as a whole takes the right touch with creativity.

What exactly IS Delta wielding? Some kind of gauntlet/wrist sword except it's a spike/tonfa?

life_source fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 3, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

You know, Ar Tonelico/Nosurge weapons are all really great as I think about it. They pretty universally make sense on the thought process of 'we're just slapping poo poo together from whatever's lying around because our civilization is hosed.'

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Feinne posted:

You know, Ar Tonelico/Nosurge weapons are all really great as I think about it. They pretty universally make sense on the thought process of 'we're just slapping poo poo together from whatever's lying around because our civilization is hosed.'

I kind of wonder if Croix's weapon is actually some kind of combat drone with the electronics fried. Like it looks like if you ran the rocket engine it could fly around on its own and shoot things.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I want to know who suggested to Cocona to use her hair thingys as a combat staff and then later turn that combat staff into a giant laser sword.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
LAAAAAAAAAAASERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

I want to know who suggested to Cocona to use her hair thingys as a combat staff and then later turn that combat staff into a giant laser sword.

It's great because as Admiral Curtiss' avatar text notes AT Qoga calls out how crazy and over the top some of the combat maneuvers in AT2 were. Really EVERYTHING in AT2 was over the top as gently caress and all the more awesome for it. Like the only person who never gets to be super over the top really is Luca, who should have had some kind of special combat thing to try and make up for Cloche's personal song magic server she can kick into crazy overdrive and Mir's ability to literally call bosses as song magic (thusly bringing the other end of the best matchup, since you kick up Those Memories and then Replakia the gently caress out of an Ar Tonelico/Phantasmagoria). Or Ayatane if you're feeling classy like that.

• Locked thread