Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Its Not mY AGe To Do AnY woRk,no luv No joB I Am fRee Now.
I can promise now that the quest to get the gym badge isn’t as dumb as the Reborn strength saga. So there’s that, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pugnacious Doggie posted:

I can promise now that the quest to get the gym badge isn’t as dumb as the Reborn strength saga. So there’s that, at least.

As far as we know no orphans are currently being electrocuted either, which makes a short interruption less morally repugnant as well.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

What does your heart say is the actual mechanics? I think you already know the answer.

:negative:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah, my eyes glazed over for most of this insanity, but then a Sylveon started wrecking people and that always makes me happy.

Hey remember the one time a mainline game deprived you of a badge? And the solution was to just talk to Whitney again? Yeah, that's because taking away the Plot Coupon you just earned is bullshit game design. Give us the badge, then deal with your edgy bullshit. Just have Aelita yell at us to go check on her Sensei and use that as a way to block us off. Its still annoying, but it doesn't hold the same level of contempt as "gently caress you, no badge yet!"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Clair made you run through an entire (small) dungeon after beating her to get that badge too.

It happened twice in gen 2, and both were rather incidental all things considered.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dragonatrix posted:

Clair made you run through an entire (small) dungeon after beating her to get that badge too.

It happened twice in gen 2, and both were rather incidental all things considered.

Yeah, that's the thing. It happens with Whitney and Clair, but with Whitney it's little more than a fake-out considering you have to walk backwards two steps to get the badge, and with Clair it leads you to get something cool anyways (Extremespeed Dratini hell yeah) and Clair is properly reprimanded for her actions.

Reborn had you face Gym Leaders and get nothing out of it because they died, which for some reason invalidates your battles despite happening while they were alive (obviously). This being a Reborn-based game, it's hard to think that it's not leading to that as well.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I legit forgot Claire made you do that. Mostly because at the end, you get a free Dratini with Extreme Speed.

Hell yeah, Mach 5 Noodle!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I legit forgot Claire made you do that. Mostly because at the end, you get a free Dratini with Extreme Speed.

Hell yeah, Mach 5 Noodle!

Wait, what? How did I never see this special dratini?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, what? How did I never see this special dratini?

If you only played GS, that's why, Extreme Speed Dratini is only in C and HGSS. Otherwise, you may have failed the quiz you're given for it, you have to select specific things (which are obvious since they're just "oh man I sure love all the Pokermens") otherwise you get a Dratini without Extreme Speed.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Can we talk about how the ice cream from the Reborn region somehow maxes out happiness?

I refuse to believe that anything from that hellhole can make anyone happy.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I refuse to believe that anything from that hellhole can make anyone happy.
You read that wrong. The ice cream is the one happy about being out of Reborn so it shares it's joy and happiness when someone eats it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

I should point out that even with the fact that they're both short detours and the longer one apparently gives you a reward for it (I played Gen 2 last back when it first came out, so a lot of it is kinda hazy in my memory), they're still two of the series' gym leaders that I've seen the most hate for, specifically because of this. So naturally Reborn and its imitators emulate the least popular gym leaders and make them worse.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Ice cream isn’t the only thing from Reborn. Expect references to Reborn characters! :toot:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ice cream isn’t the only thing from Reborn. Expect references to Reborn characters! :toot:

gently caress.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's always good to see Reborn's influence by having the Gym Leaders be assholes about giving you what you won.

Did I say good? I meant bad. It's bad, Jan.

Also of course everything magical happens in the place named after Amethyst.

To be fair, Crystal did this with the stupid Dragon Path bullshit required to get your last badge.

edit: maybe I should read before posting

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Welcome back everyone! In today's chapter, Arceus goes to get the gym badge back from Keta. Maybe.

Honestly, my biggest issue here is that he had no reason to revoke the badge. In the official games, not giving the player the badge was intended as a way of giving the Leaders more personality (though not always in a positive way). This doesn't work in Keta's case, because he can't have pride and hubris if he has no emotions. That's his entire character gimmick. We're not given the badge so we have a reason to follow him and watch the ensuing tragedy. :v:

Now the trick here is to go behind the waterfall to find the secret area.

Carotos Mountain isn't a volcano... So why is...?

Yes, and I am very excited for what the game throws at me next.

Would you take a look at this place? The Eldest said it was supposed to be a serene place with flowing water and... Well... not this. This place is the complete opposite of what she described. I feel... I feel like Sensei knows what's going on here, and that's why he ran away. You... You have to help me look for him! Please!

It won't be too long, and Arceus will be fully hardened to all this stuff going on.

It's not the same as the Deoxys. The game wouldn't be cruel enough to pit you against a Legendary this early. Right?

There are more squirmy things.

And this... thing.

Please insert your specially crafted Team Xen ID Cards into the slot provided! No specially crafted Team Xen ID Cards?! No matter. I shall activate our backup voice recognition app!

Unsurprisingly, we don't have an ID card, and Arceus is a silent protagonist, so no dice. It's also a cute touch that the screen's face changes.

The robot is a touch more sentient than it should be.

:(

You're no member of Team Xen! You are unauthorized guests! That makes SEC very angry you know! Very, very, very angry!

I-I see! That being the case, we'll move out of the way then, yeah?

Too late.

I believe that is a resprited Pokestar Studios prop.

The real reason I got Sylveon wasn't to chump Keta, but to make my life a bit easier with the shadow Pokemon. Fairy both resists and super effectively hits Shadow types.

*Used Yawn to make it easier to catch.

Aw... Was that really the result?

How could such a bad thing happen to SEC. The good guy. The one that got away... I-It's time for SEC to shut down for good...

It's weird that a security robot is leagues more charming than the rest of the cast.

SEC neglects to take down the intruders with it.

There are wild encounters throughout the dungeon, of course. You have Aelita as a partner however, so you're never short of healing supplies, at least. I catch a Numel for later. Consider him yet another proverbial gun on the mantle.

Keta was a member of Team Xen, if you've already forgotten.

All grunt battles are double battles as well. Aelita's Hawlucha is a pretty handy partner.

If my patchy memory is anything to go by, Vanillite is the first available Ice type.

The combination of chip damage from the field and the Vanillite entering hyper mode kills it. Vanilluxe isn't terrible, but its movepool is.

I don't gently caress up on Bonsly.

Oh, it's only you, slick. Man, you sure do know how to annoy someone! I didn't actually think you'd run up all the way here. Not that I'm complaining... Anyway, you know the song and dance now, right?

SEC has arguably the worst Eeveelution. :colbert: Although you shouldn't underestimate it because the Volcanic field buffs the poo poo out of fire types.

This SEC also blows itself, and only itself up.

Yet another one blocks Arceus' way.

Fortunately, the three required passwords are very easy for intruders to find.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a secret password when they are plastered onto a wall.

I'm really glad that there's been no extremely un-intuitive puzzles yet.

We don't get access anyway. Aelita calls SEC stupid. :(

Having silly grunts and security is always fun, but then you realise the game was written by the same person who opened with a religious sacrifice and followed up with a terrorist attack. Whatever, it's a nice change of tempo while it lasts.

Do you have a thing for Security Enforcer Components? Don't worry, I shame not, but I'm currently sharing this secret all over social media! Weird couple have strange Security Enforcer kinks!

S-Stop this nonsense! Just blow yourself up already!

SEC is the first component to have a confirmed gender. You heard it here first.

You destroyed all other SEC components until SEC is last component!

SEC: While it is true that SEC has many copies, only 3 of them are located here! If you kill SEC again, SEC will cease to exist in the mountain! Very, very bad times!

Last one.

Neat. Quagsire is pretty durable, but I like things with more than base 35 Speed.

But just in case...

The only way out of this misery is death.

It isn't that easy for Arceus. No agency etc. etc.

You don't have to destroy yourself... Just move.

NO! It is SEC's duty! Horrible... simply horrible! You have a heart of stone, Aelita. Sensei won't be happy to see how cold you've become in just a few minutes!

What did you just say?!

Aelita is understandably miffed at the prospect of the Sensei being a traitor.

You know darn well what SEC just said. Perhaps it is simple disbelief... or denial... or stupidity... Maybe all three... Though we part ways here, just know that... This ain't the last you've seen of me. You may not see me tomorrow, or the next day... or the-

SEC explodes. This is the last we've seen of SEC for a while.

But we can go up the elevator now.

I don't think this shocks me as much as it would have. But that has to be where the Sensei went, right?

Madelis has a mansion built into a volcano. I'm just here for the badge.

ALTHOUGH I WOULD AFFECTIONATELY BE REFERRED TO AS "SEC 2.0", I PREFER PEOPLE TO CALL ME CLARA.

The name Clara isn't an acronym. It's just what the robot wants to be called.

Attempting to walk past Clara results in Aelita being kidnapped, while Arceus watches.

It looks like a certain someone has gone back on our deal... So I'll just keep Aelita by my side for a little while, oookay? Don't take too long, or I might just have to do something to satiate my boredom.

She doesn't really have that much leverage over Arceus, and Keta is meant to be emotionless.

I want my badge. Now.

No problem, Keta's a member of Team Xen.

It seems you intend to break our agreement. Therefore I've taken drastic measures. Right now I have Aelita in my possession. Care to say something, Aelita? If you wish to see Aelita again, you'll have to meet me at the very end of my laboratory. To do so, you must collect all four keys I've laid around the lab.

Oh goodie I love glorified fetch quests!

Doubles partners are always welcome.

I think those machines make Shadow Pokemon. I think.

Sharla's gimmick continues to be dependent on other people forgetting who she is.

She just gives us the first key, because she knows she'll lose. This turn of events is quite agreeable.

She also does it because she resents Madelis.

We wish her luck and leave her to clean up that mess.

Hariyama is pretty tanky and does lots of damage.

It also seems that you void all freedom by joining Team Xen.

I have no idea why it's here, but I'll take it.

Next room!

It's a straight walk to the key.

But there's another neat item.

I get this before I get Porygon. :psyduck:

It's borderline impossible to get lost in the lab.

Final room. :toot:

None of the Team Xen grunt battles are particularly exciting.

Inserting all of the keys gives us access to the next room, and a sequence that I'm not a big fan of.

Hint: a Shadow Pokemon is involved.

Settle down, girl. Things aren't handled yet.

You both took your time, didn't you? I was getting bored.

Madelis, return Aelita immediately!

I don't really know how that was going to change her mind.

Sigh... Don't be so naive, Keta. We both know it's not going to go that easily.

This picture doesn't convey it well, but Keta attempted to get to Madelis.

Oh darn, you didn't fall for it this time! That's perfectly fine with me, though. Gives me time to explain your position!

While you read this dialogue, you should hypothesise what Madelis is going to throw at Arceus this time.

This is going to be awkward to explain in front of his student and a mute.

A deal...? You mean this isn't the first time you two have met?

Precisely! In this deal, I made it very clear what your conditions were. Because I saved your life so many moons ago, you would give me access to Carotos Mountain.

Why not?

No... I don't... I don't believe that! That didn't happen! Y-You're lying! Sensei would never-

Aelita... She's... She's telling the truth. I did make a deal with Madelis. A long time ago, but... I was a naive and stupid person back then. I lost my light, but I know where I can regain it.

:stare: It most certainly doesn't end here.

It seems like you've forgotten what I said would happen if you went against my deal. But before I get to that, I wanted to ask you all something. Why are you referring to each other so formally? It's pissing me off!

Yeah, it's true... I'm his daughter.

This isn't exactly a dramatic reveal. Why is this important? Why was Keta apprehensive about telling his daughter he's a traitor if he has no emotions? Unless, he selectively cut off his emotions? :psyduck:

But I guess he's just so depressed that he doesn't care about the safety of his own daughter. No matter, as of this moment, our deal has been officially broken.

daughter, Aelita.

Where is SEC to act as comic relief?

I'll have her experience the despair that falls upon anyone who dares defy beauty and elegance!

Madelis leaves, and I can heal and swap around team members if need be.

I'm also going to save here, because good god the next fight is awful.

Madelis is very confident about whatever she's planning. And for good reason too.

That was designed to be completely in your favor and yours alone!

:siren:Dialogue ahead:siren:

Only in my favor? I mean, you lived, didn't you? What's more valuable than life It's really a shame that something of such value will be lost. But what has to be done, has to be done. So let's get started, shall we? Ever since you've allowed me to set up here, I've continued the Shadow Pokemon project.

And after all this time it's finally complete!

You might be able to see where this is going.

Madame... X?

Yes, the leader of Team Xen is called Madame X. She's edgier than you think. :shepface:

Never mind, the game is going to throw me against a legendary. I have one gym badge. Most of my Pokemon aren't fully evolved.

:ohdear:

Of course the prospect of a player having a legendary this early is absurd, so the one advantage I have over Shadow Pokemon has just been negated. It's not like I could feasibly catch it anyway, Mewtwo has a capture rate of 3.

I am like 90% sure the only reason Shadow Pokemon were shoehorned into this game was so that this fight could be a thing.

Oh sorry, did you think you were fighting Mewtwo? Are you stupid or something? How about the rest of Madelis' team first?

Like Reborn, if Fake Out is an option, the trainer will invariably run it. Hariyama uses Fake Out on Floette, so we're even.

Salandit doesn't make it.

And Hariyama crushes Floette with Heavy Slam.

Take out that Golbat, because it's extremely annoying to deal with Flying Gem Acrobatics this early. Also yeah, they're above the cap. I don't have the second badge you see.

Good.

Solrock's beefy enough to live through a Crunch.

:catstare: So Mewtwo is five levels above the cap. It has a Special Attack stat of 154, 130 base speed, and a typing which allows it to hit everything bar Fairy for super effective damage, as well as take neutral damage from everything except fairy. In Insurgence, they waited until about the 7/8th gym to put in a Mewtwo fight, but here I am, with just one. This is why I got Sylveon; it's basically the only way you won't lose.

Unsurprisingly, Solrock doesn't make it. Should you survive a hit from Mewtwo, all of its moves get a side effect as well. Shadow fire can burn you, for example.

Chad's here to take out the Aromatisse, who sets up screen support for the Mewtwo. As if Mewtwo being a nuke wasn't enough, it's also way too resilient.

Correction: Chad was here to take out Aromatisse.

Mewtwo can enter hyper mode, but the damage it takes is negligible compared to what it can output.

Time to bring out the big guns.

Keta's team is just a meat shield at this point.

I'm doing it. I'm going to win.

Breloom has access to Spore, but it doesn't have that insane Forest-boosted Cut anymore.

Breloom would have to survive to use Spore.

Sylveon just misses the KO. Are you kidding? One more hit.

Let this be a lesson as to why you should always have a priority move on hand.

Aromatisse is basically dead weight now.

:smuggo:

Yeah seriously, what the gently caress was that? The Shadow Mewtwo is still used in the easier game modes, by the way, but the only difference is it's at a slightly lower level. This is about the point where the game starts telling Arceus to go gently caress herself. The only redeeming factor is that this fight isn't a compulsory victory, but it certainly feels better to win.

Now, do like Arceus, and watch as Madelis executes her plan anyway!

My reward for beating this fight is that I get a relationship point. With Madelis. I also get a Karma point, whatever the hell that is. :shrug:

Shadow Mewtwo is completed, but there seems to be a few things that require a bit of tweaking.

Madelis pops a revive or something because Mewtwo is healthy again.

Looks like I won't be getting my second badge yet. :(

For the purpose of dramatic cutscenes, they can.

I've done a lot of wrong things in my life...

(such as withholding my badge)

Their suffering and their burden will stay with me for my entire existence. But if there's one thing I can do, it's to atone for my sins by saving you two!

Aelita... Please forgive me, but I've been a terrible father. And I wouldn't blame you if you decided to resent me...

I-I don't resent you! I never have!

Let's boogie!

It almost seems like the one thing you want most isn't life, but death.

Then perhaps you understand me more than you think... This... is my atonement!

*RPG Maker script deregisters Keta as Arceus' double battle partner* It's important you knew this. Well, Keta's dead, so it's time to bust up that generator!

Today's Shiny

What better way to talk about Shadow Mewtwo than to showcase Shiny Castform! It's very pretty and rainbow fits thematically for a weather Pokemon.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay I will admit, reading Reborn and Insurgence at the same time, this LP while interesting did little to stand out for me.

But now :stare: I am gonna remember this game as the most spiteful one, tossing a lvl 30 Mewtwo a single badge in. And it's gonna get worse? I am SO on board now.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
A single badge in while you're forced to stop at level 25 as a result.

While it also has at least one move that does super-effective damage to almost every Pokemon.

I'd agree that Shadow Pokemon were basically included just for fights like that. Being able to freely capture other Pokemon that can actually level up and thus learn new moves makes them lose a lot of luster.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This isn't exactly a dramatic reveal. Why is this important? Why was Keta apprehensive about telling his daughter he's a traitor if he has no emotions? Unless, he selectively cut off his emotions?
In "the biz", we call that "being full of poo poo". It's probably similar to Star Trek Vulcans, who claim to be emotionless but are really just repressing literally everything as hard as they possibly can. That or Jan doesn't properly understand the concept of being completely emotionless. Which, to be fair, is a pretty difficult concept for most people.

Madelis leaves, and I can heal and swap around team members if need be.
Proof that Jan is a better game designer than Amethyst, at least... In Reborn, that'd be a one-time heal and the wouldn't be a PC.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Commander Keene posted:

In "the biz", we call that "being full of poo poo". It's probably similar to Star Trek Vulcans, who claim to be emotionless but are really just repressing literally everything as hard as they possibly can. That or Jan doesn't properly understand the concept of being completely emotionless. Which, to be fair, is a pretty difficult concept for most people.

I wouldn't really doubt it, were it not for the fact that I met his soul form, or whatever it was. TV Tropes said so!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Commander Keene posted:

As someone who is extremely into Star Trek, I gotta be That Guy and correct you on an extremely minor point, the Vulcans never claim not to have emotions, they just claim that their repression is superior to letting their "logic" be controlled by their feelings (which, when you see what Vulcans are like with their emotions on full blast, is kinda true in their case). What they hide is that, despite this self-control, they're still influenced by their emotions more than they'd ever admit, perhaps seen most prominently in the DS9 episode, Take Me Out to the Holosuite. They also hide the toll all this repression takes on them, though this only really comes up in the TNG episode, Sarek.

Mainly I'm just hoping talk about Star Trek will inspire some people to go watch it. It's all on Netflix!

But, to the topic of "emotionlessness" in fiction, the problem is, the distinction between emotions and basically any other feeling a person has is completely arbitrary. Only the most flat, static characters are capable of existing in a story without expressing something that could be seen as an emotion. Even Data, in Star Trek, who is defined by his inability to feel emotion as humans understand it, admits that many of his processes produce results that could be construed as emotional, even if they don't fall onto the happy/sad/angry/afraid spectrum (one scene has him describing his ability to process friendship and loss, for example). The only way to truly strip out all emotion is to reduce everything they say and do to a series of math-like logical statements (for instance, the cliche robot uprising justification of "I was created to defend humans. Humans are self-destructive. Therefore, I must force humans to behave properly so they do not self-destruct."), and even then, it's easy for one to make arguments about confirmation bias and specious reasoning.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
That Mewtwo was a single battle as late as Version 10, just it vs your entire team. It was also just at the current level cap of 25. The plot still progressed if you lost though.

Other than that, the most major change is to the Carotos Mountain base itself. In previous Versions, as late as V10 in fact, this area was a lot more cave-like with the odd piece of machinery here and there among the open pits of magma. The player also never got to see the outside of the Xen Laboratory/Madelis' villa, they and Aelita just took another elevator that deposited them inside.

Also SEC looked a lot more like a penis in earlier Versions, as late as Version 8 IIRC. His current look is from V10 or V9.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This game reads like an early story draft to me. I have quite a few files on my computer that are just a list of random isolated scenes in approximately the right order where the parts in between haven't been written yet. Each update seems completely disconnected to everything that's happened before and it's really hard to keep track of how everything fits together. There's no sequence, logical or otherwise - things just happen and you just kind of have to go with it.

It's not as if Reborn's endless episode-spanning storylines made any drat sense, but you could vaguely see the outline of what Amethyst thought she was writing. So far this game seems to be the writer throwing ideas at the wall and vaguely planning to make it all make sense later. (I suspect 'later' is not going to happen.)

As for the Mewtwo... I mostly just want to say 'meh'. Yes, it's a really hard fight, and yes it's horseshit to throw it at the player at this stage of the game. But legendaries should not be low level, regardless of whether they're higher level than the player or not (the exception is Cosmog since that actually evolves). Mewtwo's not the god nightmare he used to be but he's still drat strong, and him being level 30 is just dumb. Why the hell would you create a shadow Mewtwo but only at level 30? If you can create that why not make it level 100 and take on the whole region instead of the second gym? Evil teams are traditionally stupid but this is just not how people work. Why not have this fight be Alakazam or something and save Mewtwo for his proper place much later on?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So both Rejuvenation and Reborn have a gym leader with ties to the villain team, who then refuse to give you their badge and die before you can get it.

Oh god will there be a Terra equivalent at some point? :aaa:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
A finger on the monkey's paw curls; the Terra equivalent is Terra herself, having isekai'd into rejuvenation

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Leraika posted:

A finger on the monkey's paw curls; the Terra equivalent is Terra herself, having isekai'd into rejuvenation

Well, Pugnacious Doggie did say that Reborn characters appeared here...

Also god that was bad. This was definitely the most Reborn update to date, the humour part stopped registering the moment Madelis appeared and we went full Reborn. I'm guessing this will keep happening, so that's bad.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Sorry, who? :thunk: Do you have another daughter whose name is an anagram of your first daughter's? Maybe her mother? Either way, really?

Also SEC's expressions remind me of Flowey. Surprised it didn't get a creepier face at the end. Still time, I suppose!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah I'm pretty sure his wife's name was Taelia and the daughter is an anagram of that.

solarismin
Mar 3, 2019
Jan actually made a whole side game for Rejuvenation where you play as Keta and learn his back story. It's called Pokemon Rejuvenation: Where love lies.

If you play through that game it makes these scenes a lot better, however, I don't recommend playing through it until after you get the 12th badge as it does spoil things from the main game.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

solarismin posted:

Jan actually made a whole side game for Rejuvenation where you play as Keta and learn his back story. It's called Pokemon Rejuvenation: Where love lies.

If you play through that game it makes these scenes a lot better, however, I don't recommend playing through it until after you get the 12th badge as it does spoil things from the main game.

He's a gym leader. I don't give a flying gently caress about his backstory. I am here to interact with him long enough to get a shiny badge and then I will leave and hope to never see him again. This is a game about fire breathing animals having pitfights. If I want to read a lot of blather about people's pet OCs I'll go wallow in deviantArt or some poo poo.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

solarismin posted:

If you play through that game it makes these scenes a lot better

I truly, truly doubt this

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also god that was bad. This was definitely the most Reborn update to date, the humour part stopped registering the moment Madelis appeared and we went full Reborn. I'm guessing this will keep happening, so that's bad.

The takeaway I'm getting is that Rejuvenation is at its best when it isn't trying to be Reborn. When it's just a Pokemon fangame and you go around and it's fun and lighthearted and you do silly things and find interesting pokemon and take on challenges that are reasonably fair it's pretty good. When it's obnoxiously bullshit hard gameplay shoved into the same space as massive spurts of melodrama surrounding the dozens of interchangeable characters you can't give half a poo poo about it's godawful.

This update turned to poo poo the exact moment we were done fighting goofy AIs. Instead of quirky AI trainers we were plunged into the depths of a mawkishly overwritten scene all about how some person we don't know and don't care about is suffering from some deep wangst that is totally peripheral to us, and then we fought a bullshit hard boss that was in no way fun or interesting and ended with us missing out on a badge.

That last part especially is a total gently caress you moment. Attention pokemon fangame makers: After the player beats a gym leader GIVE THEM THE BADGE. Period, end of story. Pokemon played with that twice in a single generation and never did it again because there is little that loving sucks to play through more than to be DENIED A JUSTLY EARNED REWARD. You are not good enough and your ideas are not strong enough to challenge that ironclad rule, do not even try.

Reborn, incidentally but unsurprisingly, is the same way. The last couple of episodes OFS has covered have had non-Reborn moments that put the contrast into breathtaking clarity. Exploring the rebuilt Reborn City? Good! Diving down to loot corpses and discover LOL!Incest? Godawful. Cave full of Kecleons? Good! Everything to do with Lin in any way in any capacity? Godawful. Getting our fish? Good. The escalating rigamarole you need to do to get said fish? Godawful.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, even Insurgence pulled the "actually you don't get the badge yet" with its... third? Gym Leader, by just having them get ganked on the spot after the battle.

And even that was just a short delay like Clair's nonsense in GSC, and it was still incredibly awful (arguably even worse than the Shadow Mewtwo thing here, since you had to deal with a Mega Rayquazza in between).

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

solarismin posted:

Oh my God, you're not lying. Where Love Lies actually exists.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can't they do the opposite for a change?
Say, your character starts with a full set of semi-functional fake badges, on a quest to replace them with the real things. Not because they've had a change of heart, but to help their dad make better fakes later.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Oh my God, you're not lying. Where Love Lies actually exists.

Yeah I was planning to LP it when I finished with what Jan has made. Since earlier versions of Rejuvenation are so different, I might do a test LP to show it off if people are really masochistic and actually want that.

The Golux posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure his wife's name was Taelia and the daughter is an anagram of that.

Remember this. This small detail will be relevant in about 40 hours. Jan shares Amethyst's sense of pacing as well.

I'm also baffled that no-one seems to care that the main antagonist (at this moment in time) is called Madame X. Really.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I'm also baffled that no-one seems to care that the main antagonist (at this moment in time) is called Madame X. Really.

I think it's less that we don't care, and more that we're so used to Reborn Bullshit that an edgy name like this is just passe. Like ignoring a guy kicking a puppy because you can see a plane about to crash into an orphanage.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

It sounds like an overly hammy and flamboyant anime villain from the 80s or 90s. The kind that is to silly to really count as edgey even when they do some pretty bad things for the sake of it.

I expect that will change the moment they're on-screen but for now we can dream.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

TheKirbs posted:

for now we can dream.

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

The real reason I got Sylveon wasn't to chump Keta, but to make my life a bit easier with the shadow Pokemon. Fairy both resists and super effectively hits Shadow types.

I have no idea why it's here, but I'll take it.

So there was a discussion about Reborn having the issue of giving you a problem and wanting you to use only X as the solution to the problem. And this kind of encapsulates that, because afaik, you could not get Eevee this early in earlier versions of Rejuvenation(I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you couldnt). Now sure, there were other Fairy types available(we literally saw Carbink, they hand you Mime Jr, there is/was Clefairy, among others), but the issue is...they're all garbage. And yeah, they resist all of Mewtwo's moves and some of them can hit it back supereffectively(Mime Jr/Mr. Mime notably can't ), but they're still not good and are gonna take a while to chip down something like Mewtwo.

Now, putting this Mewtwo fight in is just a big NO in the first place, but when you make your big boss fight, have an intended solution, and that solution is still a complete and utter chore to use rather than being a complete sledgehammer...ugh.