Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

A. We're really not aiming for the noble path at this point, we hate Stephan, we love our sister. Seems obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
This Brante would never not enter this secret plot.A

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Kanthulhu posted:

This Brante would never not enter this secret plot.A

I read that as "never not enter any secret plot" and thought "yeah, fair point". A

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Ripley posted:

I read that as "never not enter any secret plot" and thought "yeah, fair point". A

Speaking of, I got the achievement for swearing allegiance to three different people after we gave Sophia the gunpowder. I don’t know what it counts as allegiance, then, since we have secret plots with El Verman and Egmont. Maybe it didn’t count showing our loyalty to El Ferro? Either way, I think the game treats this point as at least working with Sophia, outside the official work for El Ferro.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Always join the plots. Our dude has plots within plots within plots; he’s setting up cells of dissidents to spy on each other and betraying them too, Deep State Brante never saw a conspiracy he didn’t like.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Be patient. We're starting a drat revolution--if it's successful, her position doesn't matter. If it's not, we and possibly every we love are dead anyway. Also I don't think Robert likes us enough for us to pull it off.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Always help our sister.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Kayten posted:

1.2 - Georg's Toddler Time

We get ditched almost immediately.

Just like that, she's gone.

That's fine, we can make it home on our own, we're a whole... one years old.
Thought you had gotten away with it, didn't you Gloria? Thought we had forgotten how you abandoned us. :colbert:
You were wrong. We were playing the long con this whole time. And now you will be sacrificed on the altar of family unity. :unsmigghh: B - Refuse

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ZCKaiser posted:

Be patient. We're starting a drat revolution--if it's successful, her position doesn't matter. If it's not, we and possibly every we love are dead anyway. Also I don't think Robert likes us enough for us to pull it off.

this

And blowing up our influence o meter before we're good and ready is an own goal

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ZCKaiser posted:

B as well. Also rejecting her now increases our unity, and maybe having maxed unity/whatever event it has will help ease the adoption into the future? If Stephen tries to kick her out or kill her obv we'll jump to her defense.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

B as well. Also rejecting her now increases our unity, and maybe having maxed unity/whatever event it has will help ease the adoption into the future? If Stephen tries to kick her out or kill her obv we'll jump to her defense.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
B as well. Robert absolutely already thinks of Gloria as his daughter. We shouldn't tank the family's reputation just to soothe Gloria's anxiety. Officially adopting her still wouldn't change her situation, she'd still be a commoner.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
1.30 - Follow Your Heart

Gloria is our sister, so it's time to make that official.

She's psyched about our help.

Guess who isn't.

Huh, learned a new word today.

Honestly, I don't know what we were expecting.

No suprise there.

I mean, come on, Gloria. This was the plan?

We're gonna need to work more on this.

We get a vacation!

Ah. It would appear this would be a working vacation.

Yeah, we remember Otton. We also remember him loving with Tommas.

Otton's a big supporter of states' rights, as it turns out.

I don't know about that, Sophia.

Do you want to talk about it?

I'm not gonna pretend we're gonna do anything other than the best option here, both stats-wise and story-wise.

If we weren't as cool with Sophia, we could still do the Otton heist, but without her opening up to us.

We could've also taken the cowardly option.

Or at least kept an eye out on her, if we were to actually side with El Ferro.

We got you, Sophia, don't worry.

I don't think Sophia would take us betraying her very well.

That's a solid point. If we were in El Ferro's shoes, we would also have us killed the second we stop being useful.

drat, this guy really hosed her up, huh.

Alright, that answers our question, time to rob an Arknian.

Spending our vacation casing an estate.

Let's get it started.

I wonder what we would do if we took out a guard like this, and he was on his final death.

Thankfully, Otton is distracted.

Nice to see our good friend and faithful co-conspirator, Magistrate El Verman. It seems he also has a problem with two chairs, but only one rear end.

Anyway, gotta get that paper.

Time to bail!

For all his faults, the fucker is very good with a blade.

But not good enough.

And just like that, we're gone.

How often Gaius gets anonymous mail with blackmail material, anyway.

Lol.

Lmao even.

Note that planning a local coup is not grounds enough for an arrest for someone so... noble.

Either way, gently caress yeah, blackmail!

We turn 25, and hear rumours about a secret society operating in Magra.

Dreadful, I hope the Secret Chancellery is on this.

Rough times in Magra.

We've got to stop working so late.

Oh, Sophia, fancy meeting you here.

Aw, she's gonna be away for a while.

El Ferro is a phenomenally reckless man.

Oh? Oh!

--

How do we react to Sophia leaving?

A. She is a very passionate speaker. We wish Sophia luck in bolstering our ranks.

B. We're in this shitshow together. Tell Sophia we'll always watch her back.

C. She's a very passionate speaker... and we're really into it. Tell Sophia how we feel about her.

The other two options depend on the other two states Sophia could have where it comes to our relationship. If we had sold her out to Otton, but then helped her with Professor Dextra, or just hid from Otton without helping her, she would be Embittered. This means that we could pledge our loyalty to her as her minion at this point.

If we had sold her out to Otton and refused to do the Dextra thing, she would be Merciless here, and laugh in our face about the very concept of trust and love in this business.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

C

have fun, but haha what if :flushed:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kayten posted:

Gloria is our sister, so it's time to make that official.

Does this even have a chance of succeeding with our current stats? I've only done it once and that was through a maxed unity run.

C

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You think we'd choose any option other than C. Doki Doki?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
C. This is a delightfully bad idea. Do it.

jakethecap
Jan 17, 2021
C

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

C

haha get owned otton

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
C. What could go wrong, really?

Hey, we don't even have to introduce her to the family, we already did that.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'll note that regarding the question of 'what if final death', there IS a way to check if you take the time to do so. We saw that in the dueling salle in the capital. The human noble that lost revealed his arm and the three black marks of lesser death and plead for his life. It didn't work and the jackass Arknian stabbed him anyways, but it was established that you can check for it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Probably our only shot at an any sort of a happy ending

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RedSnapper posted:

Probably our only shot at an any sort of a happy ending
I agree with this, C all the way!

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

C

If we get the romance now, it means we have more freedom in showing off content in other runs.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
C - Confess We've been supportive of Sophia the whole time. It would be rude not to say anything now. Besides, she'll be gone tomorrow, so it's not like there'll be any real consequences if she doesn't feel the same way. :v:

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

dervival posted:

C

haha get owned otton

In the Judge Path, dealing with Otton is a like a decade-long affair spent gathering evidence and allies. I love that Sophia and Spy Brante knock that poo poo out in two weeks between jobs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
our willpower is maxed, no? As such, we need to smooch Sophia for the most important of reasons:

optimizing our stats

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kayten posted:

As far as I remember, every named mage we come across in the game is a commoner. Sophia, Aylis, and there’s a woman whose name I forget who shows up in the Priest Path.

Sophia wants to free the mages because the House of Humility, and the Inquisition in general, is monstrous towards them. Mages are absolutely oppressed by the Church and the imperial system the Church supports.

Sophia is doing this for the lower classes. Also she herself is a commoner.

I look forward to talking about this later in the LP. It's an understandable perspective right now, reading at a surface level, but ohoho my no. :allears:

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022

Captain Oblivious posted:

I look forward to talking about this later in the LP. It's an understandable perspective right now, reading at a surface level, but ohoho my no. :allears:

I'm fine with confessing love or whatever's decided, but I'm personally of the opinion that Sophia is ABSOLUTELY going to betray the cause and gently caress the movement over. I'm in this blind, never played the game, but like - She has done so repeatedly in this playthrough! Like, let's not be Charlie Brown trying to kick the football here! Every time Sophia gets involved with a revolutionary movement, it's everyone else who winds up dying for it (and she walks away scot-free)! She set up the Last Straw as a honeypot and EVERYBODY THERE BUT US (and the few people we got out) died because of HER! Who knows how many other movements she set up like that for Felipe? Who knows how many other revolutionaries and popular sentiment who might've actually had chances at doing things she's gotten killed or crushed?

I am 100% sure that she would sell out a completely successful revolution if she thought it would save her own skin. And while that's a common failing - It's also one that'll doom any revolution, because the second Felipe or some other reactionary gets their hands on her in a theoretically successful revolt, she'll sing like a bird and go right back to being a loyal lapdog. She's in the revolution because she generally thinks it's neat and that it'd make things better for her, specifically. Which is fine for your average revolutionary, not everyone has to be Lenin reborn, but not for one of your primary leaders and organizers! She has ideals, sure - But she has no solidarity.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VOLITION (Godlike) You have been compromised

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

TheMaskedReader posted:

I am 100% sure that she would sell out a completely successful revolution if she thought it would save her own skin. And while that's a common failing - It's also one that'll doom any revolution, because the second Felipe or some other reactionary gets their hands on her in a theoretically successful revolt, she'll sing like a bird and go right back to being a loyal lapdog.
Then we'd better make sure that reactionaries don't get their hands on her, either by keeping her safe or by beating them to the punch.

She can't fail a loyalty test if the test is never administered, or if she's too dead to take it.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 17, 2022

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

TheMaskedReader posted:

I'm fine with confessing love or whatever's decided, but I'm personally of the opinion that Sophia is ABSOLUTELY going to betray the cause and gently caress the movement over. I'm in this blind, never played the game, but like - She has done so repeatedly in this playthrough! Like, let's not be Charlie Brown trying to kick the football here! Every time Sophia gets involved with a revolutionary movement, it's everyone else who winds up dying for it (and she walks away scot-free)! She set up the Last Straw as a honeypot and EVERYBODY THERE BUT US (and the few people we got out) died because of HER! Who knows how many other movements she set up like that for Felipe? Who knows how many other revolutionaries and popular sentiment who might've actually had chances at doing things she's gotten killed or crushed?

I am 100% sure that she would sell out a completely successful revolution if she thought it would save her own skin. And while that's a common failing - It's also one that'll doom any revolution, because the second Felipe or some other reactionary gets their hands on her in a theoretically successful revolt, she'll sing like a bird and go right back to being a loyal lapdog. She's in the revolution because she generally thinks it's neat and that it'd make things better for her, specifically. Which is fine for your average revolutionary, not everyone has to be Lenin reborn, but not for one of your primary leaders and organizers! She has ideals, sure - But she has no solidarity.

Now, It's not really fair for me to work on blind-run-only information like this since I've played through the game bunch of times, but! With The Lotless (our cause is just!), Sophia only got a few people who were arrested along with us. Plus, we focused the feds' attention on us, and helped even more people escape. We had the option to either betray them (the way to join El Ferro if we didn't have good stats), or help them escape (lol Manipulation). As far as I can tell, that was Sophia's first big job for the Secret Chancellery - she was simply too young before that. The reason for that is we didn't get an exposition dump for any other clandestine movement - these let a Brante on each path know what's happening with all three Lots.

She absolutely did sell out everyone there, but she did put in effort to make sure El Ferro doesn't kill us right away.

The other thing is we see a progression of her attitude over the past five years when it comes to working with El Ferro. She's getting tired, which is something she only confessed to us because we're on good terms with her. Plus she's been pretty blunt on the whole "I'm not going back to jail" thing about the House of Humility.

On top of that, El Ferro doesn't trust her, and wants us to keep an eye on her because she's a little too into the revolt for his liking.

(My very first blind playthrough was siding with Sophia and doing the revolt for real, and I still think that's the best ending)

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
1.31 - Calling in a Few Favours

It's been a long time coming.

Putting ourselves out there.

She's had a rough life.

I wonder if she likes us.

She's giving us a few hints.

We're the only person Sophia actually trusts.

I question her judgement.

Wikipedia posted:

A misericorde (/ˌmɪzərɪˈkɔːrd/ or /-zɛrɪ-/) (from French word miséricorde 'mercy') was a long, narrow knife, used from the High Middle Ages to deliver the death stroke (the mercy stroke, hence the name of the blade, derived from the Latin misericordia, "act of mercy") to a seriously wounded knight. The blade was thin enough to strike through the gaps between armour plates.

This weapon was used to dispatch knights who had received mortal wounds, which were not always quickly fatal in the age of bladed combat; it could also be used as a means of killing an active adversary, as during a grappling struggle. The blade could be pushed through the visor or eye holes in the helm with the aim of piercing the brain, or thrust through holes or weak points in plate armor, such as under the arm, with the aim of piercing the heart

Good for killing armoured knights, huh.

Very sweet.

The status is supposed to say "Grown close", that's my bad.

Hey, guess what, thread. We did what El Ferro told us to.

We gained Sophia's trust.

Anyway, there's been another exciting development in Anizotte.

Well, the liberals tried.

How very public. I suppose the whole point of this exercise is to let the people know the National Guard Legion is always there, ready to strike.

Hm. That could come in handy.

Tommas did mention that they spent an absurd amount of time doing drills.

That's exactly what we question.

Everybody's talking about it.

Hey, everyone in this house except for Stephan is low-born scum. Including Father.

Hell yeah, Gloria.

I don't know, Father, I think we got that one pretty thoroughly under control.

An interesting question.

--

What do we do about the Legion?

A. We've been swearing so many oaths that it's time to cash one in. Compel Tommas to get his troops to stand down.

B. How about a trade - we give him a few miscreants, he gives us a few informants? Get Tommas to give us snitches.

C. Gaius wants a riot, we'll give him a riot. Work the people into a frenzy.

D. We're willing share some information to get him to ease off. Give Tommas the names of the noble conspirators.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A

what could go wrong with using rep as our dump stat

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

D. Let's cool things off a bit. Noble politics matters not if it helps everyone else in this regard.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

D. The Legion is a weapon of oppression incapable of doing good things. It can, however, do funny things, such as harassing the nobles instead of commoners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
let's have the man fight the man