Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Iretep posted:

Shouldnt you keep the armor merchant alive for the fashion souls he sells?

You can revive NPCs in DS2.

I know, I always forget about that mechanic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Revive is a strong word. Commerce does not require a living heart.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

True, it's more like you can make people wise fwom theiw gwave for two minutes to sell you poo poo, but the end result is that you can kill people for their loot and still interact with them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Finally picked up SotFS again tonight (been occupied with playing Demon's Souls before the servers shut down). I have to say that coming off from that game, SotFS feels...easier? Maybe I shouldn't say that, though, because I sort of leaned heavily on summoning phantoms (both player and NPC) while playing tonight. Regardless, I made it through The Gutter and Black Gulch and beat the Rotten after three attempts (the two NPC phantoms help to keep him distracted). Then I went back to the Shaded Ruins and got the help of phantoms (one who was another player, the other was an NPC) and beat Scorpioness Najka. Doors of Pharros didn't seem too difficult of an area (the enemies are a lot less difficult then they seem), but I didn't activate any of the door, so I might be missing a lot from there.

I blazed Brightstone Cove Tseldora pretty easily. The first half was pretty standard, but the fight with Prowling Magnus, while not really difficult, was very bizarre. Only death I had in the second half was trying to get that Red Crystal Lizard (which I'm guessing was a trap). I got to the Duke's Dear Freja, who killed me on a fluke (hit me with the beam, which knocked me off the cliff), but I beat her on the second attempt. Seemed like an easy boss, honestly; the torch wards the little spiders away and you just have hit Freja in the head.

I near had a heart attack when I went to the Primal Bonfire and the thing explodes and blows you across the room while Aldia (I guess) rises out. I didn't even know what was happening. I didn't realize you could initiate a conversation (The prompt didn't show up when I first approached.)

I thought I had another Great Soul to get, but I realized now that I have all four, and the Emerald Herald is telling me to head towards the castle. I'm wondering what I should do now. I haven't explored any of the Belfry areas, and like I said, I haven't investigated Doors of Pharros. I guess now that I have all four Lord Souls, I have access to some other areas. I don't know if that includes the DLC area or not (I know I teleported to that area after the Primal Bonfire in Iron Keep, but it didn't seem like I could do anything there yet).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The place you have to go to is a door that opens now that you have the lord souls at one of the 3 paths at Ruined Fork Road bonfire(shaded woods).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nothing's ever closed off to you. The Belfrys have good items in them. Clean them up, maybe flirt around in the Doors and the Grave of Saints, and then head to the Shaded Ruins.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to boost item find in the early game? I want a Heide Knight sword for my faith build, but the stupid thing isn't dropping :mad:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Rusty coins and explorer hats IIRC

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

This is probably a long shot, but is there anyone willing to lend me a hand with Sir Alonne tonight on PS4? He just keeps kicking my rear end!

I'm level 154ish but I'm not sure what my soul memory is. I assume something close to what my level is, so to speak. I've tried it both solo and with NPCs but I just can't seem to outlast this dude.

PSN name: "literallygary"

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Rusty coins and explorer hats IIRC

Ooh, I can buy the hat right now. Thanks!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Watchdragon Parma, found behind the big dumb dragon in Heide's.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Also doable, thanks!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So, I went back to Doors of Pharros, and I realized that the reason I missed the other half of the area was because I mistook a ladder for wall decoration. I found the Royal Rat Authority and :sbahj: is that fight awful! Having five little rats rush you and infect you with toxic while having to fight the big rat was a terrible design decision. It's a good thing they put the bonfire right outside the boss door. The way I was able to win the fight was by taking the twin blade (which I hadn't previously used) and I was able to take the rats out without getting infected, then fight the big rat head on. Even though I got him down to zero health, I died immediately after from his puke attack, and when I respawned at the bonfire, all my gear was broken, and it didn't register as me beating the boss, so I had to do it again. :argh:

I checked out the two Belfry locations. Both of them seemed pretty lackluster, but then I guess they're supposed to be PvE locations. However, I don't think I ran into other players. Belfry Luna seems like it's harder, because without the NPC phantom, dealing with the Belfry Gargoyles seems like it can be stressful, especially when they surprise you by having the third gargoyle attack. They seem pretty weak, but that might've been because my gear was really strong at that point.

I tried going back to the Shrine of Winter, but I couldn't get through the door when I teleported. I looked online, and I realized that (in SotFS) I need to find keys to get into the DLC areas. Getting the keys is a chore in itself. The Sunken King key requires you to go into Black Gulch and get another key that opens a door in the Majula well (along with a couple of other places, which got me the Havel Set and lets you talk to the covenant guy in the wheelchair). Problem is that you have to fight two huge giants in a really small, dark cave.

The Old Iron King key is a little more direct. It's in the pit with the fire lizards in the Forest of Fallen Giants. That pit is pain in the rear end, though. I don't know how you're supposed to kill those fire lizards by melee, because it seems like they can hone onto you and hit you with multiple fireballs, with no way to survive. I just stood up on the ledge or from afar and hit them with crossbow bolts. It took a while, but it seemed like the safest tactic.

I've still to get the Ivory King key (the Frozen Flower), but that's in Drangelic Castle, which I haven't entered yet. I think what irks me about the whole thing is that when you enter the DLC areas, it just says 'Closed' when you try and enter. It doesn't tell you what you need to do to open the door.

Complaining aside, I was wondering if that would help with the DLC areas. I'm also wondering if any of the boss weapons from Crow Lady are worth checking out. I remember when I played DS1, I looked at the weapon list on Wikidot and none of them seemed all of that useful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Having five little rats rush you and infect you with toxic while having to fight the big rat was a terrible design decision.

lol

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

It’s always weird hearing people have trouble with the rat bosses, because I don’t think in any of my play throughs it took more than 3 attempts.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think the big rat was one the hardest bosses in the game for me if not the hardest. Much more frustrating than the other hard bosses like the Fume Knight.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fire anything burns them right up, especially any of the firestorm spells.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
literally just hit the little rats and kill them

I have never gotten killed by them before and will never understand this complaint

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

Complaining aside, I was wondering if that would help with the DLC areas. I'm also wondering if any of the boss weapons from Crow Lady are worth checking out. I remember when I played DS1, I looked at the weapon list on Wikidot and none of them seemed all of that useful.

Thinking of Boss Weapons being useful isn't really the right approach. From a purely pragmatic standpoint, boss weapons typically don't do any more damage than the more mundane ones (frequently, they do less), however they are often cooler than the normal weapons. Maybe they'll have a magical effect, or they'll let you shoot lightning bolts or something. Really, you should use the boss weapons because they're more interesting rather than becaue they're better.

IronicDongz posted:

I have never gotten killed by them before and will never understand this complaint

It's heavily dependent on the weapon you use, some weapons let you kill the rats very quickly, others make it much harder. It's like trying to kill the Capra Demon in DS1 is fairly easy with a sword, because its sweep attack lets you quickly kill the dogs, while trying it with a spear is loving awful.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

I think the big rat was one the hardest bosses in the game for me if not the hardest. Much more frustrating than the other hard bosses like the Fume Knight.
Frustrating is probably a better way to put it. It's not that hard of a fight, really, but it can go south really quick if you mess up.

IronicDongz posted:

literally just hit the little rats and kill them

It's not the little rats that killed me directly, it's that they swarm you and give you the Toxic status, which starts eating through your health quickly. You're trying hit them before and get out of the way to heal, but the big rat comes in and starts striking at you, and he hits you for the rest of your health, or you don't have time to heal before you hit zero.

Gerblyn posted:

It's heavily dependent on the weapon you use, some weapons let you kill the rats very quickly, others make it much harder. It's like trying to kill the Capra Demon in DS1 is fairly easy with a sword, because its sweep attack lets you quickly kill the dogs, while trying it with a spear is loving awful.
Switching weapons was what did the trick. I'd been using the Bandit Axe up to that point, but its horizontal sweep I don't think hits really low (maybe it's does, but it's somewhat slower). I tried switching over to the Halberd, because the two-handed R2 does a spinning sweep attack, but that left me open and wasn't real accurate. When I switched to the Twinblade, that's when I started having an easier time. However, the Twinblade wasn't as reinforced as much as the Bandit Axe or Halberd were at that point, so I wasn't doing as much damage as I could have been.

dis astranagant posted:

Fire anything burns them right up, especially any of the firestorm spells.
I'm not really geared towards magic stuff, though. I know pyromancy doesn't really have any stat requirements, but I don't believe I have firestorm, and the one spell I did have (Fireball) didn't seem like it would be fast enough. I was trying to put more points into Faith so I could use Lightning Spear, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You can snipe the lil rats before the SifRat aggros.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Id get one or two with a bow then kill them in one sweep with a (broken) santier spear. I've never used this much before but I really like it.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Royal Rat Authority is not even a rat, it's more dog-shaped

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think the rat authority knows what a rat is my guy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also just because you're bad at something doesn't make it a "terrible design decision" :gitgud:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bogart posted:

You can snipe the lil rats before the SifRat aggros.

That's actually what I was doing with the lightning bow, but I could only hit two rats before they got close, and it didn't do much damage. In hindsight, I should've used the Heavy Crossbow, which did more damage at that point.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also just because you're bad at something doesn't make it a "terrible design decision" :gitgud:

This is true.

But it might have been better if the rats inflicted you with Poison or something you can use items or gear to protect against (don't know if the Poison Resistance ring offers any resistance to Toxic)

Alternatively, locking-on maybe isn't the best option in the first part of that fight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Locking on is almost always a good way to get yourself killed.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I remember being extremely frustrated with Royal Rat Authority on my first playthrough but have since Gotten Gud and had 0 trouble the second playthrough. It's definitely a boss that contains design elements that are specifically hard for inexperienced players. The mere presence of Toxic causes people to try to panic-heal and subsequently get killed instead of just dodging and waiting for an opportunity to heal safely. Toxic eats your health quickly but not so quickly that you can't get a heal in if you don't rush it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I remember being extremely frustrated with Royal Rat Authority on my first playthrough but have since Gotten Gud and had 0 trouble the second playthrough. It's definitely a boss that contains design elements that are specifically hard for inexperienced players. The mere presence of Toxic causes people to try to panic-heal and subsequently get killed instead of just dodging and waiting for an opportunity to heal safely. Toxic eats your health quickly but not so quickly that you can't get a heal in if you don't rush it.
This is quite true. Poison isn't so debilitating as in DS1, to the point where people will generally just power through it in Harvest Valley by popping two lifegems per bar. Toxic probably takes three instead, but even then there are enough obstacles in the RRA encounter that you can dash to safety and smash a lifegem on your face. (Plus poison resistance also defends against the toxic status, but given how resistances work you won't get much bang for your buck until you get a few hundred points.)

More generally, all those obstacles in the encounter are designed to help you out against a multi-enemy fight, as you can use them to tangle up the enemies or funnel them into a narrow space. Locking on isn't always the best idea with multiple enemies, but it should still be an option in your toolkit when you're trying to prioritize an enemy or just to keep track of it while you manually aim at something else. Not the only option as with a single enemy, but an option nonetheless.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
Does anyone still invade in DS2?

g0t_hats fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 2, 2018

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

NGDBSS posted:

This is quite true. Poison isn't so debilitating as in DS1, to the point where people will generally just power through it in Harvest Valley by popping two lifegems per bar. Toxic probably takes three instead, but even then there are enough obstacles in the RRA encounter that you can dash to safety and smash a lifegem on your face. (Plus poison resistance also defends against the toxic status, but given how resistances work you won't get much bang for your buck until you get a few hundred points.)

More generally, all those obstacles in the encounter are designed to help you out against a multi-enemy fight, as you can use them to tangle up the enemies or funnel them into a narrow space. Locking on isn't always the best idea with multiple enemies, but it should still be an option in your toolkit when you're trying to prioritize an enemy or just to keep track of it while you manually aim at something else. Not the only option as with a single enemy, but an option nonetheless.

The advice on handling poison and toxic is good, but the Royal Rat Authority encounter is nothing but a big empty room with 3 rats and a giant ratdog. The Royal Rat Vanguard is full of statues to funnel the numerous enemies (and get in the way). :v:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ziddar posted:

The advice on handling poison and toxic is good, but the Royal Rat Authority encounter is nothing but a big empty room with 3 rats and a giant ratdog. The Royal Rat Vanguard is full of statues to funnel the numerous enemies (and get in the way). :v:
Ah, alright. Somehow I got my wires crossed.

Yeah, RRA is not a good boss fight in large part because it's a multi-enemy encounter with no environmental features.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ziddar posted:

Yeah, Royal Rat Vanguard wasn't really much of a challenge. The status those rats try to infect you with in that fight is I think petrification, but that builds up really slowly.

Gerblyn posted:

Thinking of Boss Weapons being useful isn't really the right approach. From a purely pragmatic standpoint, boss weapons typically don't do any more damage than the more mundane ones (frequently, they do less), however they are often cooler than the normal weapons. Maybe they'll have a magical effect, or they'll let you shoot lightning bolts or something. Really, you should use the boss weapons because they're more interesting rather than becaue they're better.

I guess I've always been under the impression that boss weapons would be a lot stronger than what you find normally, and if not, something you'd get a lot of benefit from if you know how to use it properly.

Is there one that you think that worth checking out over the others? I've mostly used the Bandit Axe, the Mace, and the Halberd. I'm wondering if there's something that works similar to that, or has similar stat requirements?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
My understanding is that boss weapons on average deal more damage than other weapons in their class when invested in because upgrading them yields better damage increases. Weapons upgraded with scales end up doing 2.5x their unupgraded base damage, 2x for twinkling, and 1.5x for regular titanite or something like that (not sure on those modifiers, don't shoot me). So while many boss weapons are notable for their uniqueness don't think that necessarily means it's in lieu of a mechanical advantage.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I spent quite some time as a Sorcerer with an infused Watcher Greatsword, which is a boss weapon.

It has an extremely flexible moveset including thrusts and various slashes, and I love the self-buff it has that saves me wasting an attunement slot on weapon enchantments/forcing me to use a staff in my off-hand (which I've never liked).

It wasn't OP, but it was a really fun weapon to use.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nonexistence posted:

My understanding is that boss weapons on average deal more damage than other weapons in their class when invested in because upgrading them yields better damage increases. Weapons upgraded with scales end up doing 2.5x their unupgraded base damage, 2x for twinkling, and 1.5x for regular titanite or something like that (not sure on those modifiers, don't shoot me). So while many boss weapons are notable for their uniqueness don't think that necessarily means it's in lieu of a mechanical advantage.
A lot of boss weapons have bad scaling, though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

That's sort of what my thinking was, where they don't start out great, but they're worth it if you invest your stats points and upgrade materials into making them work. I also thought that with weapon that give negative status effect, like the bleeding effect with the Lifehunt Scythe (which I know is DS1, but it's the first thing I think of when it comes to boss weapons), you can get gear that offsets the penalties that they give you.

IronicDongz posted:

A lot of boss weapons have bad scaling, though.

See, that's what gets me when it comes to imbuing weapons with attributes, and why I'm hesitant about doing it in any of the Soulsborne games. I just got off of playing Demon's Souls before the servers shut down, and one of the weapons I leveled up was the Dragon Long Sword. The problem though, is that while you get high damage and fire attacks, it completely eliminates the scaling. On NG, that's not much of a problem, but it seems like when you start getting into NG+ and higher, a lack of scaling is make a weapon less-and-less useful, since you can only upgrade a weapon so much, whereas your stats will have a lot more room to grow in NG+.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Some boss weapons are still either best-in-class or at least at the top of the pile for their class, like the Dragonslayer Spear or the Crypt Blacksword. Several, in fact, are already good and become even better with an elemental infusion to match any existing elements. (The tradeoff is more scaling/less base damage, but it's worth it.) Generally the tricky part about boss weapons isn't in how they scale but in getting the upgrade materials and meeting elevated stat requirements.

Note: The scaling on base damage is +100% for titanite weapons, +50% for twinkling, and +150% for scales. So generally boss weapons might start with less base damage than average, while twinkling weapons would start with more.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

NGDBSS posted:

Some boss weapons are still either best-in-class or at least at the top of the pile for their class, like the Dragonslayer Spear or the Crypt Blacksword.

Crypt Blacksword is what I moved to once my character got into the crazy-high levels and no longer needed to worry about stats.

Moveset is a bit underwhelming but the damage on that thing is ludicrous. Cast a Dark buff on it and smash the world to pieces. Again, it's just a hugely fun weapon to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sacred Chime Hammer is basically the blacksword but with a not-trash moveset, better damage type (blunt owns as we all know), and a ranged special attack. It does not look as fabulous though.