Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Renoistic posted:

I did both!

Slayers Next has what is probably my favorite example of :effort: localizations. Just wait for the real song to kick in.

https://youtu.be/D8Jy_fctemw

Good old Central Park Media. They literally licensed everything they could get their hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Were there some quests you had to return? It's been a bit, but I remember quest turning in automatically.

As Zore said many of them require you to actually find the NPC to turn it in. Doing it in the Nopon tree was absolutely horrendous because they all look really similar AND they walk around. So you'd get a quest, complete it a day or two in real time later and have no idea where to give it in.
One High Entia quest took me about 30 minutes of just WANDERING trying to find the right person to hand it in to. I get that it's old school but jesus mark it on the map because my characters would definitely know where that goddamn person is.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does this game tell you which quests cancel after a point? This was the most annoying thing in the Trails Series, didn't go to that lighthouse early? Screw you.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Does this game tell you which quests cancel after a point? This was the most annoying thing in the Trails Series, didn't go to that lighthouse early? Screw you.

Yeah, the ones that cancel will have an exlaimation point and there are a few pretty telegraphed points of no return.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you mean Xenoblade, every quest that has a possibility of cancelling has a clock icon next to it and it's entirely plot related so if you don't advance the story they never fail.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Blue Reflection was brought to you by the council of fetishes and stinky feet.
Well that certainly recontextualizes everything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Taear posted:

I've complained about it in the proper thread but it'd be interesting to see the reasoning people who've mentioned it have for saying Divinity Original Sin 2 is one of their games of the year.

I'm finding it one of the most frustrating RPGs ever to work through. I really enjoy the narrator and what they bring to the game, I hope other games use that in dialogue. But the journal updates with quest steps you've already done if you don't do them in order and every quest just has a feeling of being "broken".
I guess if your thing is very precise combat that requires you to be in specific spots you'd love the game but to call it the game of the decade with the issues it has just feels such a strange choice.
There's a gigantic dearth of good PC rpgs since Witcher 3 is pretty much it. What few have come out have been divisive really.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 10, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

I mean kishida was just the artist

And I enjoy the confirmation that the Arland games had yaoi

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

HGH posted:

I mean I always assumed that’s how every JRPG planning session goes and this is just the first time they’re being open about it.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Nyaa posted:

Imagine an entire localization replaces everything with innuendo instead.

BIG HOLE

Yeah the translations of Ar Tornelico are alright.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OneDeadman posted:

Yeah the translations of Ar Tornelico are alright.

The original jp had the innuendo also

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How often does it turn out the JRPG lead is actually a dream/ a copy/ an artificial human as some big twist? Is it too mundane to have come out of a vagina?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

How often does it turn out the JRPG lead is actually a dream/ a copy/ an artificial human as some big twist? Is it too mundane to have come out of a vagina?

it's, not that common

i mean a lot of games have it but it's not like, a thing almost every jrpg does. like a whole lot of tales games just star regular-rear end people who's lives get super messed up. like reid from tales of eternia is just, a dude who had a kind of traumatic event in his childhood and velvet is just a girl who happened to be acquainted with a guy who got kinda messed up in the head

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 10, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Honestly it isn't that often overall. There's just some huge ones that sort of overshadow the genre. Like Final Fantasy went to that well in VII and X, but not really in any of the other games.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

I mean kishida was just the artist

And I enjoy the confirmation that the Arland games had yaoi
Yeah, it's just funny to read that and then look at the picture where the character's putting her socks on right next to the article.
The whole part about girls liking a male character being a "betrayal" to the male audience so they'll just do guy on guy relationships instead was kinda interesting. I figured women would be more upset at a generic romance/self-insert guy being added. Maybe that's more of a western reaction?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zore posted:

Honestly it isn't that often overall. There's just some huge ones that sort of overshadow the genre. Like Final Fantasy went to that well in VII and X, but not really in any of the other games.
9 as well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zore posted:

cloud wasn't a clone in 7, he was just experimented on

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

cloud wasn't a clone in 7, he was just experimented on

I figure it counted since he basically had an existential breakdown about someone else's memories being copied into him.

Its the same sort of theme as the rest :shrug:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I mean I always assumed that’s how every JRPG planning session goes and this is just the first time they’re being open about it.

I think you can extend that from jrpgs to nearly any creative work.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

HGH posted:

Yeah, it's just funny to read that and then look at the picture where the character's putting her socks on right next to the article.
The whole part about girls liking a male character being a "betrayal" to the male audience so they'll just do guy on guy relationships instead was kinda interesting. I figured women would be more upset at a generic romance/self-insert guy being added. Maybe that's more of a western reaction?

it's weird "purity" stuff for the male audience that would care, but otoh going in the direction of avoiding it by making all the dudes gay is kind of badass

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Taear posted:

I've complained about it in the proper thread but it'd be interesting to see the reasoning people who've mentioned it have for saying Divinity Original Sin 2 is one of their games of the year.

I'm finding it one of the most frustrating RPGs ever to work through. I really enjoy the narrator and what they bring to the game, I hope other games use that in dialogue. But the journal updates with quest steps you've already done if you don't do them in order and every quest just has a feeling of being "broken".
I guess if your thing is very precise combat that requires you to be in specific spots you'd love the game but to call it the game of the decade with the issues it has just feels such a strange choice.

It's Baldur's Gate II with amazing combat mechanics.
And better class/skill customization.
Its wonky bits can be forgiven.
(Characters and writing are still better in BG II though)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jesus. Jesus is the reason

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

Jesus. Jesus is the reason

Ummmm Jesus came out of a vagina.

This is canon

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's the best camera setup for xeno? I zoomed the camera to close in behind Shulk which is fine, but the y axis feels wrong no matter what.

There's also no penalty for death, and lovely quests are turned in automatically?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 10, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

What's the best camera setup for xeno? I zoomed the camera to close in behind Shulk which is fine, but the y axis feels wrong no matter what.

There's also no penalty for death, and lovely quests are turned in automatically?

Not all the lovely quests, unfortunately. But it's manageable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zore posted:

I figure it counted since he basically had an existential breakdown about someone else's memories being copied into him.

he didn't, though? he built up a fake personality based on what he knew about zack from the time they were in the same unit together and just lied about his own past. iirc he had jenova cells, which allowed sephiroth to get into his head, but barring that, cloud is the quintessential Regular Joe. so goddamn normal and boring that he built the whole zack hero persona around himself because otherwise he's just a smalltown hick with his friend's big rear end sword

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

he didn't, though? he built up a fake personality based on what he knew about zack from the time they were in the same unit together and just lied about his own past. iirc he had jenova cells, which allowed sephiroth to get into his head, but barring that, cloud is the quintessential Regular Joe. so goddamn normal and boring that he built the whole zack hero persona around himself because otherwise he's just a smalltown hick with his friend's big rear end sword

He doesn't know he's lying though. That's like the whole point of the reveal, he got super traumatized and built up this whole fake personality because of the experimentation and Zack's death and made himself think he was a SOLDIER and poo poo.

Then during the reveal he has a breakdown and his personality radically changes as he rejects the fake persona and memories. And the implication is that this only happened because he was a 'failed experiment' after he volunteered for the Jenova cell stuff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rascyc posted:

There's a gigantic dearth of good PC rpgs since Witcher 3 is pretty much it. What few have come out have been divisive really.

I'd argue the new AC is sort of an rpg

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sakurazuka posted:

If you mean Xenoblade, every quest that has a possibility of cancelling has a clock icon next to it and it's entirely plot related so if you don't advance the story they never fail.

Technically, some of the Timed Quests aren't actually plot related, they're just Mutually Exclusive quests which aren't timed by the overall plot. They're usually very obvious though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

Tyranny is real good.Torment 2 was also real good, I really don' t understand the hate.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

can you overgrind and one-shot boss targets because if you can't then it's not an rpg :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trails actually does give fair warning for the non-hidden. You see that S/M/L by the sidequest title? That how long you have until they expire. If it's down to Short, it'll expire after the next plot event.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I put down FFVII and never picked it up again when I had to redo a minigame and that loving Rufus fanfare had been blaring for twenty minutes.

Another factor against replaying is that while Midgar has a very strong presentation, you don't really have any options or choices in regards to customising your equipment.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have any opinion on Battle Chasers: Nightwar? I remember thinking it looked very pretty and suddenly I see it came out when I wasn't paying attention.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Another factor against replaying is that while Midgar has a very strong presentation, you don't really have any options or choices in regards to customising your equipment.

you don't customize your equipment in ff7, you customize your materia loadout

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Does anyone have any opinion on Battle Chasers: Nightwar? I remember thinking it looked very pretty and suddenly I see it came out when I wasn't paying attention.
It's a fine RPG but also out-of-combat party members don't get exp for some goddamn reason, so the grind is intense.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It's a fine RPG but also out-of-combat party members don't get exp for some goddamn reason, so the grind is intense.

Is combat fun enough for grinding?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Wheres the yaoi in atelier

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

can you overgrind and one-shot boss targets because if you can't then it's not an rpg :v:

yes actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Accordion Man posted:

Tyranny is real good.Torment 2 was also real good, I really don' t understand the hate.
Some people hate the CD-esque combat of Tyranny, saying it turns it into more of a Dragon Age Inquisition system of spamming stuff constantly. It was also kind of an unfinished game in that Act 1 is waaaaaaaay better than the other acts and the game just sort of ends. I keep meaning to replay it since they patched in more content to the end but no time.

Torment 2 has real awful character progression and combat. It honestly probably shouldn't have even been in the game and just been an adventure game.

The point I was trying to make is that there was a wave of CRPGs after Witcher 3 and they all ended up divisive for one reason or another, and Divinity Original Sin 1 was in that wave and it had problems (writing). Divinity OS2 is the first of the next wave and they fixed many of the problems from the previous game. It's definitely no perfect game, as anyone who's played it to the end can attest but it's better than anything else in recent memory.

Really pulling for Pillars of Eternity 2 myself.