Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Wrong link, here's the right one https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/71E8-0000-011E-FB7D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It finally happened! :toot:

The jump is officially 1300 to 2000 for the next medal and +10 level increase

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Well I'm dumb. Thanks for pointing that out.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Here's the next world of my Super Mario Voyage project! The first two worlds are presented in the original post .

Vine World
I just finished 3-2 yesterday, so all of that is new content. It's possible to get Yoshi to the end of the level, so show off your skills if you can!

SMV 3-1: Perilous Pipeline

SMV 3-2: Carnivorous Caverns

SMV 3-3: Ghastly Greenhouse

SMV 3-4: Shroombloom Stronghold

Gear up for the next one coming out later this week - Mechanized World.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I.. think I've found my new favourite dumb thing to do: breaking automatic courses so that I have the world record in them

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I played a stage yesterday where a Mystery Mushroom turned me into Sonic the Hedgehog. I think the update must have gone back and fixed his sprite because now he really looks like the Genesis Version. His body takes up two sprite tiles now so that's really cool. Am I the first person to notice this?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Spectacle Rock posted:

I played a stage yesterday where a Mystery Mushroom turned me into Sonic the Hedgehog. I think the update must have gone back and fixed his sprite because now he really looks like the Genesis Version. His body takes up two sprite tiles now so that's really cool. Am I the first person to notice this?

Hasn't changed

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Koopa's always had skeletons in his closet.
Sometimes he fails to bury them deep enough.

This Summer,
Bowser Koopa is about to get,
Undermined

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I keep making levels that are too hard for the general public and no one beats them. Someone please beat this, it's a darn 30 second level for goodness sake

6FA6-0000-012F-CC30

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Hey, thanks to you, goons, and to a lesser extent the general populace I've reached another badge and uploaded more levels. Also, I redid one on the spot because I wasn't willing to give up on it.

Firepower Ferry

I liked this one so much I skipped it ahead of a bunch of others in the queue. I guess I don't want to spoil any surprises (and I want to know what goons can find on their own).

Terror Core

This is probably my favorite though. Maybe because I like the Mario 3 Ghost House so much? People are already terrible at this one, hurry before it's doomed to Expert Mode forever.

Kinda-Haunted Cave

About as straightforward a NSMB level as it gets, but I hope you like it?

Galoomba Gulch

This is the one I redid, rushed it out the first time because I didn't have any auto-scrollers on my profile. Hope it's a better stage now.

121RedBlackGo

Made a super-fast scroller, so I'm pretty sure people are going to be awful at this. Kinda worried about that Bowser placement at the end though, tell me if he's too much trouble.

Hell-O!

I know one of you hates Fire Piranhas, so..... sorry in advance?

El Jefe Speaks

The official/unofficial sequel to A Level Named Marcus. This one is pretty much doomed to Expert Mode, play it before it disappears entirely. :ohdear:

There are even more on :siren: my profile,:siren: so don't forget to check. I'm just afraid this post is already too big. Check 'em out. Maybe I'll post them later or something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sintax posted:

I keep making levels that are too hard for the general public and no one beats them. Someone please beat this, it's a darn 30 second level for goodness sake

6FA6-0000-012F-CC30

I beat this but wish I hadn't. Its only 30 seconds but involves so much trial and error death I'm not surprised people skip it.

If you don't want people to view your level as a brick wall you have to give them some kind of break. Just having some coins indicate where you need to jump to progress would make this level less painful.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

This level wasn't bad, but I feel like I missed the point somehow. There wasn't much challenge or thinking required when you could just hop in cloud after cloud to get to the end.

Pretty punishing overall. I like athletic levels generally, but as Kraken mentioned, it's tons of trial and error, and hardly any of the errors let you live afterwards. I liked the ideas though, and I may need to steal bomb platforms as an idea some day.

I'll play some more and leave comments under Dustin!! later tonight. Keep that content coming, fellas!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Sintax posted:

6FA6-0000-012F-CC30

I liked it. It seemed reasonable enough. It honestly didn't seem like that hard of a level to me, but it was fun.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

DarkLich posted:

This level wasn't bad, but I feel like I missed the point somehow. There wasn't much challenge or thinking required when you could just hop in cloud after cloud to get to the end.

Well, on one level it was intended to be an easy multi-path level. (Because you're inundated with powerups.)
But on another I want ed to find an engaging way to present the cloud as a power.

So, I think the level, while technically solid, failed in two ways. 1.) Use of the cloud sort of eliminates the incentives in the level to switch between paths. 2.) Flying the cloud just isn't that engaging, or more accurately I was incapable of finding a way to make it engaging without forcing you to use the cloud.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Does the cloud just suck?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Streaming an expert run and then maybe random levels: http://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DalaranJ posted:

Well, on one level it was intended to be an easy multi-path level. (Because you're inundated with powerups.)
But on another I want ed to find an engaging way to present the cloud as a power.

So, I think the level, while technically solid, failed in two ways. 1.) Use of the cloud sort of eliminates the incentives in the level to switch between paths. 2.) Flying the cloud just isn't that engaging, or more accurately I was incapable of finding a way to make it engaging without forcing you to use the cloud.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Does the cloud just suck?

I wasn't really sure how the level was supposed to work either without the cloud just trivializing everything.

I don't really think designing a challenging level around the cloud can work well honestly. The cloud giving you free movement means you have to design hazards that can hit the player from multiple angles. Now that alone is hard enough, but functionally isn't any different from how a water level works where you have unobstructed movement. The problem is then that the clouds short duration means making any kind of difficult obstacle doesn't work. Its too easy for the player to get timed out inside the cloud. and if you're designing the level to be beatable by both cloud and foot, its hard to not have a bunch of obstacles the cloud just bypasses.

I once tried to make a level that used the cloud like this but couldn't make it work either.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Thanks for playing, I thought the way to go was pretty clear, but I should have added coins. I'll probably make an easier level with the same theme later.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm trying out plinko as a Mario concept: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/9FE0-0000-014A-5303

Does this even work? Is this fun? Tell me if this sucks or not, please.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've been trying to suss out how the website decides the difficulty of levels and it's so weird.
Comparing two of my levels,
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/FAE9-0000-011D-09D3
The first one which is as Easy and has a completion rate of 39.06% with 25 clears out of 64 attempts. It also has had 32 different players with those 25 clears so 78% of the people who tried it beat it.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/21CE-0000-0127-6B13
The second level is classified as Normal has a completion rate of 44.59% with 33 clears out of 74 attempts. It had 34 different players for those 33 clears which means 97% of the people who tried it beat it.

Why the second level is classified as harder even though there was only one person who didn't beat it? Do you think it's possible that there is also an invisible skill level assigned to players? Anyways it's very strange.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Maybe it takes the levels' content into account? Your second level there DOES have three Bowsers.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Last Visible Dog posted:

Maybe it takes the levels' content into account? Your second level there DOES have three Bowsers.

There are actually five Bowsers and that is definitely how it should work.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Speaking of Bowser being stupid hard and random, I improved an old level by removing Bowser (but leaving the much more manageable Junior) and improving some of the flow.

Bowser Jr's Squishy Citadel
C158-0000-014D-5A73
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/C158-0000-014D-5A73

And I made a short-and-easy, as long as you have a good ground pound game:

Ground Pound Grotto
D84F-0000-014B-872F
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D84F-0000-014B-872F

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Who do you remove uploaded levels? I wanna start sharing stuff, but my kids uploaded some uh, 7yo quality levels haha.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Orgophlax posted:

Who do you remove uploaded levels? I wanna start sharing stuff, but my kids uploaded some uh, 7yo quality levels haha.

Go to Course World, click your face in the upper left corner, click the level, click the red Delete button

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Liked Hell-O and Terror Core a lot, though nerdbot's recent Cheepcore level unintentionally gave me the idea the terror core would be some kind of monster at the end. I'm good at setting myself up weird expectations like that.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I got this for Christmas, and it's the game I've always wanted.

I've got a few levels up as I've been unlocking stuff.

Any comments or suggestions on how to improve them?

Cautious Cavern
DBB3-0000-0140-9E7F

My first level.

Might As Well Jump
6D17-0000-0141-6C6D

Some tricky jumps.

Castle Thwomp
4718-0000-0148-F7B3

Not terribly long. Had a gimmicky idea for Thwomps blocking access and built around it.

Jerk Fortress
0B81-0000-0152-80B7

A kinda dickish level with another Thwomp-based gimmick and P switches.

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 29, 2015

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Moai Ou posted:

I got this for Christmas, and it's the game I've always wanted.

I've got a few levels up as I've been unlocking stuff.

Any comments or suggestions on how to improve them?

Cautious Cavern
DBB3-0000-0140-9E7F

My first level.
I wasn't a fan of the bit around 2/3 of the way through where you need to goomba bounce. By the time you realize you need to do that the pipe is off screen and you need to back track to get more to spawn. The pipe should be positioned so a steady stream of goombas spawn even when you get to that point. The giant koopa in the box right after that is a dumb move that can't be bypassed without tanking a hit or knowing up front to avoid it. The flag pole jump is drat hard if you're still big Mario at this point and it's the kind of move that's going to get your level skipped especially if you don't use check points.

quote:

Might As Well Jump
6D17-0000-0141-6C6D

Some tricky jumps.
You like your single tile jumps, don't you? I don't get the point of the alternate path with the fire flowers 3/4 of the way through the level. As far as I can tell it's impossible to get out of there but you're clearly enticing the player to go down there. I assume it's just there to be a gently caress you to the player along with the little trap with a pipe that goes nowhere. I know you just got the game and crewing over the player is new and hilarious to you, but this kind of stuff was played out the first day the game released. On the top path it's impossible to see that koopa on the third falling platform coming so it's pretty much a guaranteed restart. Again, you need to add a check point. I didn't bother to finish this one.

quote:

Castle Thwomp
4718-0000-0148-F7B3

Not terribly long. Had a gimmicky idea for Thwomps blocking access and built around it.
This one had some okay ideas, although the trampoline after the thwomp run was kind of a dick move. Waiting for the thwomps to break the bricks gets a little tedious so I'd lose one of those sections or at least put a check point between them. Since the lack of a check point is a running theme here I'll assume you don't know they exist. Just shake the arrow sign to create them.

quote:

Jerk Fortress
0B81-0000-0152-80B7

A kinda dickish level with another Thwomp-based gimmick and P switches.
I don't bother with intentionally dickish levels. No reason to provide feedback if your intention is to make a crappy level.

If you're looking for players to actually complete and star your levels you need to keep your focus on challenging the player but not screwing them over. It's okay for an obstacle to be hard if the player has adequate time to react to it or figure out how to bypass it. Spend time play testing your levels and don't just zip through them because you know the solution. Try to approach them with different play styles in mind and think about what someone seeing them for the first time might experience. If the player messes up but doesn't die ensure there is a way for them to try again. Make sure every section feels good to play as either big or small Mario.

Swagman
Jun 10, 2003

Yes...all was once again peaceful in River City.
reworked and checkpointed, do it to it

you said it wasnt real

ghast hose

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Finally reached 1300 stars, and have a new level to celebrate! :toot:

Bang Boom Barricade: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/17E1-0000-0156-95CD

You might not be able to tell, but the theme is explosions.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Eh part of the problem is checkpoints are a day 7 unlock, I'm in the same boat as him, I want to add checkpoints to a lot of my levels, just to give a helping hand to those who need the help, but I'm stuck until they become available to me, which should be tomorrow.

As long as I'm here, let's show off some levels.

Abnormal Abbey

I really like the SMB 3 Ghosthouse tileset and music, so I wanted to make something that fit it.

Leviathan

I think levels should show you something new or cool, but also I wanted to play around with alternate pathways. I like what I've made but it's probably unfocused and sloppy to play.

Shifty Shafts

I try to avoid trial and error deaths, but there's probably a few here, that being said it's a super straightforward level made early on when I didn't have many tools.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

I'm trying out plinko as a Mario concept: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/9FE0-0000-014A-5303

Does this even work? Is this fun? Tell me if this sucks or not, please.

Didn't want this to get lost - any feedback?

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Red posted:

Didn't want this to get lost - any feedback?

I dunno, there's a bunch of bouncy stuff, then it's over? How's it supposed to work? Are enemies or items supposed to go in there or just you? What are the one-ways at the end for? Nothing ever dropped in them.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Got my first level uploaded. Just trying for a traditional feel, and is probably pretty simple by Mario Maker standards, but I'd like some feedback.

Simple SMW
F1AF-0000-0158-3CAF

Also, after being able to sit down for an extended time last night to make this, I'm actually kinda disappointed with Mario Maker. So many things I wanted to do but just can't. Simple stuff like make enemies move in different directions or adjusting the speed of a platform on a track (yes there's the 2 skull platforms, but I wanted the normal flat platform). Manual placement of background decorations (and more variety of them) would be nice too.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Orgophlax posted:

Also, after being able to sit down for an extended time last night to make this, I'm actually kinda disappointed with Mario Maker. So many things I wanted to do but just can't. Simple stuff like make enemies move in different directions or adjusting the speed of a platform on a track (yes there's the 2 skull platforms, but I wanted the normal flat platform). Manual placement of background decorations (and more variety of them) would be nice too.

It's not much but the normal flat platform has two speeds. You can put wings on it to make it faster.
And semisolid platforms (shake for all 3 kinds) give you some more variety than the random pop-up elements (which also can be copied when you see one you like).

The best way to learn new possibilities is to play other people's levels.

CrimsonAuthor fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 30, 2015

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CrimsonAuthor posted:

I dunno, there's a bunch of bouncy stuff, then it's over? How's it supposed to work? Are enemies or items supposed to go in there or just you? What are the one-ways at the end for? Nothing ever dropped in them.

Hmm - I guess I want an easy, fun level to bounce through. The one-ways should have different rewards, or a tease. Maybe I should pack it with more stuff?

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Heh, okay, so you're the plinko chip.
Yeah more stuff would be more fun. Does anything other than mario interact with bumpers? Haven't fully tested those.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Surfing the Sea of Souls

Made a goofy story level as an excuse to display some weird Boo effects.

e: There's a couple of new event courses advertising NES Remix; one gives you the Excitebike dude (simply named Bike) and the other is a SMB 2 1-1 remake that gives you BIRDO!

e2: That... loving... leaf! :argh:

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 31, 2015

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Kaptain Kamek's Kooky Key

The 5th in my series of Kaptain Kamek levels, here you must find the correct combination to open a door to Kaptain Kamek's airship flotilla. Once you do, steal one of his vehicles and fly forward to once again Kill Kaptain Kamek!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I tried my hand at a sort of experimental level: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/CF51-0000-015C-D84D

The idea is you have to find parts of a password using drawings as clues (the drawings are in the pipe at the end of the stage)

The only issue is my gamepad is all hosed up so the drawings kinda suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Here's the next section of my Super Mario Voyage project! Here are links to the first two worlds, and the third world.

Both Bob-Omb Bay and Firebar Foundry are brand new below.

Bob-Omb Bay has a lot of unlockables, so to speak. Good luck with the bomb tricks to access everything.

Firebar Foundry will likely be an expert level, but it’s not too bad if you take it slow and pay attention. It was my attempt at making a challenging level from hazards alone.

Mech World

SMV 4-1: Gearsaw Gorge

SMV 4-2: Bob-Omb Bay

SMV 4-3: Harrowing Hullblast

SMV 4-4: Firebar Foundry

I appreciate all the comments people have left, and I'll continue to help provide feedback on those in the thread.

Coming up after the new year, we delve into the Ancient World.

• Locked thread