Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
One's story was interesting, it's the first one to really start raising some of these questions that would have been asked all along if the game wasn't so focused on 'MURDER ROADTRIP with adorable sidekick Mikhail.' One obviously knows more than the others (except possibly Zero herself) and I'm interested in seeing if anything else important gets revealed in their confrontation. Maybe we'll even get to fight one of the sisters for once.

Pimpmust posted:

So has anyone else noticed that dude in the middle that the five sisters seem to be summoning?

I've been wondering about that for awhile now. But given what we know about the first game, I'd have to say the question is, are they Summoning or Sealing?

Though I suspect most of the answers and general weird poo poo will get saved for the alternate endings since that seems to be the trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zero begot one.
One begot two.
Two begot three.
And three begot the ten thousand things.

Cythereal posted:

I can't say I care very much, because I can barely remember any of the Intoner sisters. This route at least, they're introduced, given a quick gimmick, and killed off shortly after that. Not the stuff of memorable characters, though maybe later routes will change that.

:raise:

I have a feeling we aren't actually anywhere near done...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
TDI said we're almost at the end of the game's first route with only a few missions left.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

TDI said we're almost at the end of the game's first route with only a few missions left.

That doesn't mean we're almost done. This is the guy who made Nier.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh, great. So the Intoners actually *did* make the world a paradise. That's... That's just great. Nice work, Zero.

Something tells me One figured out what the hell was going on on the way to the big throw down and it may have broken her. Song of the world's end and all.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Probably worth mentioning One's story also implies the reason she doesn't keep a disciple is due to her ultra-hypersensitivity. Forget any kind of physical intimacy, just being in the same room with someone is a barrage on her senses.

I've always liked the touch of Two being considerate though. Given her lively but naive personality, you'd kind of assume she'd be the one to bound in with no idea how much trouble she's causing, so I like that she actually gives her sister's condition some thought and takes care not to make things worse.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh, great. So the Intoners actually *did* make the world a paradise. That's... That's just great. Nice work, Zero.

Something tells me One figured out what the hell was going on on the way to the big throw down and it may have broken her. Song of the world's end and all.

Except for those dissidents who had to be suppressed with lots of collateral damage. One's story really shows the world is only a "paradise" if you take intoner-propaganda at face value.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Libluini posted:

Except for those dissidents who had to be suppressed with lots of collateral damage. One's story really shows the world is only a "paradise" if you take intoner-propaganda at face value.

quote:

The lord of the Land of Seas had more power than the others; she and the rabble that flocked to her were at the center of wealth and power of every kind. So of course they were going to hate us for taking it all away. Of course, they themselves had leeched it away from their own people, so it was silly for them to accuse us of taking anything. In any case, their land had more troublemakers than the others by far. I had expected Five to have her hands full keeping them in line, but my fears were apparently misplaced.

I remembered that, despite our best intentions, we had destroyed several of the Land of Seas' ports while routing the last of its dissidents. Even when we exercised the utmost of care, it was difficult to wield our power without damaging the surroundings; it had just grown too strong.

Pretty sure the dissidents were the remnants of the previous Lord's armies and the nobles that had benefited from their regimes, the previous Lords being a bunch of massive dicks that deserved to be removed from power. (If there are still soldiers loyal to them fighting or the nobles rebel because they're going to lose out on their plunder under the new regime that is unfortunate but they can't just allow a revolution to occur.) The collateral damage was a complete accident which they did their best to avoid, but unfortunately, it is almost impossible to prevent all of it during a war. Since these are One's own personal thoughts, there is no reason to believe that she is propagandizing to herself. Have you considered that One, may have in fact, did nothing wrong? :catholic:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Kaislioc posted:

Have you considered that One, may have in fact, did nothing wrong? :catholic:

At least, not knowingly. Drakengard! after all. :angel:

I would be unsurprised to find out that the Intoners think they're doing the right thing but are instead perpetuating something else's plans.

Or they exist just to be vessels in which to grow power, and whatever is running things gives not two fucks how that power is used. Just as long as Zero comes along and kills the other five to gather the now enormous power into one vessel. The theory being that the final amount of power can't be grown in one vessel because, as we see with Two, especially, one vessel cannot contain it long enough to get to whatever level required. So you instead split it up and have parts of it grow to a specific strength so that when they're combined via copious application of :black101: you get the desired final power level.

Basically, I'm saying that the Intoners are probably just pawns. Likely Zero included, knowing this series.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

If Zero's represented in the center, then the flower seems to be symbolically separate.

What's with the flower, anyway? It seems like a weird and major thing to include it in the tapestry, especially since it's not there in the beginning, it only replaces her eye after she gets wounded. Or did she do her flower-power-regeneration before that?

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Pierzak posted:

What's with the flower, anyway? It seems like a major thing to include it in the tapestry, especially since it's not there in the beginning, it only replaces her eye after she gets wounded. Or did she do her flower-power-regeneration before that?

It's a really pretty way to fill up the empty space down at the bottom. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pierzak posted:

What's with the flower, anyway? It seems like a weird and major thing to include it in the tapestry, especially since it's not there in the beginning, it only replaces her eye after she gets wounded. Or did she do her flower-power-regeneration before that?

It's clearly a symbol of the Intoners' high sex drive.

Or maybe the five of them had a basketball team called the Intoner Flowers.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's clearly a symbol of the Intoners' high sex drive.

Or maybe the five of them had a basketball team called the Intoner Flowers.

Flower Jam :colbert:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The flower is a weird unexplained thing for us and apparently the disciples too, but the Intoners may know exactly what it is and it just hasn't been brought up yet, along with many other things I'm waiting to see an explanation for.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Mikhail, you're an adorable big goofy tool of destruction. But for gently caress SAKE you are AWOL more than a handful of times. Now that we're reaching the end of our journey, let's take a look back on the many excuses the game has given for Mikhail not to help in battle.

Parameters for Mikhail's attendance are he can be summoned and/or ridden in battle during the course of a mission. Showing up the last five minutes while otherwise a no-show does not count. Only appearing in campfire scenes or cutscenes does not count. Being off screen and only phoning home to chatter with Intoner mom does not count. Geography is no excuse.

Verse 1: To the Seas
Oh. There's my dragon.

Verse 2: The Cove- NO SHOW
Destroying a battleship is really hard, Zero. Really, really hard!

Verse 3: The Ocean Ruin - TARDY
I went through all that and you STILL haven't destroyed that goddamn battleship?!
I was saving it for you!

Verse 4: The Ocean Ruin
Oh. There's my dragon.

Verse 1 - Cliffside Path
Your dumb dragon is right over there.

Verse 2: Deliberations
Your dumb dragon is right over there. Heh. Nice work with that bridge, ace.

Verse 3: Reign of Fire
Uhh...? You're riding the thing, Z. I'm sitting this one out.

Verse 4: Snowbound - TARDY
Well I was flying around the mountains and it was really, REALLY snowy and then I met this weird dragon and th--
Enough excuses! I've been freezing my rear end off.
...Hey that other dragon never did come up again, did it? Weird.
Nor will it ever.

Verse 5: Repetition
Your dumb dragon is right there.

Verse 6: Wyverns and Four
I'm not going anywhere when there are dirty, stinkin' wyverns to kill! Buncha low, class greasy layabouts!

Verse 1 - Kill 'Em All! - NO SHOW
The airship exploded, Zero! It got blown out of the sky and I got turned around!
<twitch> Do. Not. Remind. Me.

Verse 2: Trolled - TARDY
Zero I got stuck in the vines! Get me down! Get me doooown!

Verse 3: Lost in the Woods
My Lady, Mikhail is right here.

Verse 4: Three's Riddles - NO SHOW
<SHITS OUT THE MASS OF A BABY ELEPHANT>
Oh... Uhh... Huh... Hehehe.
<sigh> Moving on...

Verse 5: The Lost Forest - NO SHOW
Hey Zero, look in the river. It's another drag-aaaaaaaaaah! <falls into a river>
<shrug> Meh.

Verse 6: Three - TARDY
Zeeeeero! I got caught in the vines! They caught me again!

Verse 1: To the Sands - NO SHOW
Trivia time--who kidnapped the mighty Zero's horrid dragon? <double thumb snap> This guy! And did you know the sound a thumb snapping makes is actually a very, very low level fire spell setting off for just an instant?
Really?! That's amazing!
Don't listen to that idiot, dummy.

Verse 2: Violators - NO SHOW
That's not fair, Zero. It's underground! I can't fit underground!
Then how did you get into the overgrown tree and stuck in there back in Three's dump?
Umm...
That's what I thought. No excuses!

Verse 3: Hell on Earth - NO SHOW
There was an invisible song wall over the area! It was really there! Honest!
That's funny, I remember Two drooling and having less between her ears than you last I checked.
Well maybe it wasn't there the whole time. I had to find a good spot to go po--
Enough!

Verse 4: Two and Cent
At least it's not a total zero at bat. Not that I'd mind seeing that anytime... Ho ho ho!

And that about brings us up to speed. I'll update this in the future. Mikhail isn't done playing hooky. While we're in the neighborhood discussing our dopey dragon sidekick, let's take a quick look at Mikhail's cosmetic DLC! Mikhail gets three pieces of headwear priced at $1.00 a pop to sport into battle.

First up we have a NIER throwback: Experimental Weapon Headwear

They thought the explosion killed him. They were wrong. Now he's back and out for... a good time! Emil and Mikhail team up for the feel good buddy cop film you've all been waiting for!

If that's too cheerful for you, we can go darker with our next accessory: Tokyo Tower Headwear

Too soon...

Last, but certainly not least, we have perhaps the most ridiculous of the trio: Beautiful Child Headwear

I bet if he could, Caim would have been happy to mount a Grotesquerie head as a hood ornament for that jet he tamed over the skies of Tokyo after being shot down. Unlike Zero's alternate outfits, these are all just for funsies for people that have little need of an extra dollar. Anyway, that's about it for Mikhail business I wrote up to kill time waiting for work related garbage. Time well spent.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 30, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The Dark Id posted:

Last, but certainly not least, we have perhaps the most ridiculous of the trio: Beautiful Child Headwear

This was also a bonus for people who bought the collector's edition of the game. The advertisement for which referred to it as "GIANT BABY HAT". :allears:

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
I bought the Emil head DLC. No regrets, best dollar I ever spent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think you have a broken tag under the picture of Five, TDI.

Those DLC items are totally lovely, but they're just sort of right.
I think Cent was telling the truth though.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
I bought all the DLC since I'm a crazy rear end in a top hat, but I always get a kick out of having the Beautiful Child Headwear.

And man, Mikhail sure went missing a loving ton.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Can't help but note the ruined modern day city you seem to be flying around in in those screenshots, TDI :stare:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can't help but note the ruined modern day city you seem to be flying around in in those screenshots, TDI :stare:

Those are official images from the advertising.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

It's technically the same location that we were in during the prologue.

Perfect timing as it's about time for round 2 in the ruins of Not-Spain.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Go back to the second update. Cathedral city ain't looking to pretty.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

I'm pretty sure it's just Not-Spain which is where One lives and will likely be the final area since we've done the rest. Also the table of contents in the OP says Chapter 5: Cathedral City so there's that. :v:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I will scream if it turns out DG3 is a sequel to DG1 and then Nier after all
through some kind of recursive timeloop

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
Big dumb baby dragon, best dumb baby dragon :3:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DeafNote posted:

I will scream if it turns out DG3 is a sequel to DG1 and then Nier after all
through some kind of recursive timeloop

Of course it's a sequel!

It has a 3 on the end and everything!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The Dark Id posted:

Verse 4: Snowbound - TARDY
Well I was flying around the mountains and it was really, REALLY snowy and then I met this weird dragon and th--
Enough excuses! I've been freezing my rear end off.
...Hey that other dragon never did come up again, did it? Weird.
Nor will it ever.

Assuming it's really true that this won't pop up again, maybe we're meant to assume that Mikhail saw his own reflection on a patch of ice? It's not obvious at the time, but after the next chapter where he throws himself into a river for exactly that reason, we know he's really that dumb.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The little ribbons tying on the headgear is the best part. :allears:

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

W.T. Fits posted:

This was also a bonus for people who bought the collector's edition of the game. The advertisement for which referred to it as "GIANT BABY HAT". :allears:

Or better yet, doing what I did and preordering the collectors edition. Get the hats, and a few Drakengard/Nier throw back outfits. The perfect accessory for all your rip and tearing needs~! :j:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

scorpiobean posted:

Big dumb baby dragon, best dumb baby dragon :3:
Indeed he is. :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Brainamp posted:

Go back to the second update. Cathedral city ain't looking to pretty.

I didn't remember it looking so modern. Whaddya know!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I think Tokyo Tower really is Darth Yoko's favorite achievement out of the entire list of poo poo he's pulled on us over the years. There's no other explanation for why he loves trolling us with callbacks to it.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Derek Barona posted:

I think Tokyo Tower really is Darth Yoko's favorite achievement out of the entire list of poo poo he's pulled on us over the years. There's no other explanation for why he loves trolling us with callbacks to it.

It's a pretty good jape, to be honest.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

YeOldeButchere posted:

Assuming it's really true that this won't pop up again, maybe we're meant to assume that Mikhail saw his own reflection on a patch of ice? It's not obvious at the time, but after the next chapter where he throws himself into a river for exactly that reason, we know he's really that dumb.

Of course, if it were true, I doubt it would have been brought up again. So, take that as you will. :v:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Hey now, he didn't throw himself in the river. His big, dumb, baby dragon butt broke the bridge.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

YeOldeButchere posted:

Nega-Earth is lousy with dragons, so it's actually possible he ran into a random dragon. Dragons generally stay away from human settlements, so that's why they are rarely seen.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Suzaku posted:

At least, not knowingly. Drakengard! after all. :angel:

I would be unsurprised to find out that the Intoners think they're doing the right thing but are instead perpetuating something else's plans.

Or they exist just to be vessels in which to grow power, and whatever is running things gives not two fucks how that power is used. Just as long as Zero comes along and kills the other five to gather the now enormous power into one vessel. The theory being that the final amount of power can't be grown in one vessel because, as we see with Two, especially, one vessel cannot contain it long enough to get to whatever level required. So you instead split it up and have parts of it grow to a specific strength so that when they're combined via copious application of :black101: you get the desired final power level.

Basically, I'm saying that the Intoners are probably just pawns. Likely Zero included, knowing this series.

Given all the talk about Intoners constantly growing in power and in other ways as well as Zero stating she's getting less human, it's probably just a matter of time before any of them turn into horrible monstrosities. Zero's murder spree is nipping that in the bud, I guess.

On an unrelated note, I love Mikhail's headgear enough to forgive his disappearances. The idea of him and Emile having wacky adventures is hilarious. Sure, it'd probably end with them rendering about half of a country an uninhabitable wasteland, but still.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Pimpmust posted:

So has anyone else noticed that dude in the middle that the five sisters seem to be summoning?

Could it be...

The legendary... ":smuggo:"
(He's a little bored in that tapestry)

The Intoners are big fans of Babylon 5 and are trying to bring the show back for more seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Archenteron posted:

The Intoners are big fans of Babylon 5 and are trying to bring the show back for more seasons.

I was thinking this.

They're summoning him in his moment of triumph. No thermal exhaust port will blow hot air in his victory.

• Locked thread