Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Theantero posted:

That bug's been around for a pretty long time now. I doubt it will ever be fixed.

And there is no patch or mod for this?

Does the sound file even exist in the coding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starbridge64
Jun 5, 2013
And reward gained, I actually went into this fight kind of unprepared due to weaker key pages being used, but did it all in one go with three librarians left standing. Can't wait to see the EGOs for History in action.

Starbridge64 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 23, 2024

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
got double-tapped by the "will not know rest until you see something made" bug so here these are

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

MetaMeme posted:

got double-tapped by the "will not know rest until you see something made" bug so here these are

That is GORGEOUS, Meta. I can never tell how much of your power you're hiding when you do some of the most hardcore memes, but then you just drop this kinda thing right before I go to sleep and BAM, hit like a truck.
Let's get on it indeed.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Does Carmen count for Tiphy's statement? :thunk:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Welcome to the floor roundup. Now that History has been fully realized, this is a little sidebar which I'll be using to talk about the floor's feel, the flow of its Abnormality/E.G.O Pages, and provide important things like links to all of the floor's fight music. All the Abnormality Page information will be coming from here, which is still an incredibly good (and spoiler-filled) resource for all things Library of Ruina.

Music

MalkuthBattle01
MalkuthBattle02
MalkuthBattle03
MalkuthStory

Abnormality Pages

Level 1

Because we generally want to be winning more clashes than we lose, Malkuth's usual pool to pick from ranges from our +2 through our -1. Of these, Happy Memories is my favorite of the bunch—any Malkuth floor I run is going to have a dedicated Happy Memories user to spam some high-cost page until it doesn't cost them anything at all. Out of the rest of them, Ashes is usually the best option available to us. Nostalgic Embrace really wants a specialized build with massive dice to take advantage of the bonus Stagger damage, and Matchlight is simply a bad Abnormality Page most of the time.

While The Faeries' Care is not a big loss (given that any time we're able to pick from Zone -2, we're much more likely to get hit 3 or more times during the effect), it's honestly tragic that Display of Affection is trapped in Zone -3. While it's the most powerful effect on this tier (given that clashes are where we really want power), we won't see it without utterly tanking our first few turns and putting ourselves at a disadvantage.

Level 2

Malkuth's trend of wanting to stay at Zone 0 or higher continues with her level 2 pages. All three of her Breakdown pages are relatively weak, with Predation being a single-turn boost which means it's overall weak in longer fights, Footfalls outright defeating our own Librarians in exchange for dealing the enemy damage—the very meaning of situational, and Worker Bee requiring the enemy to target a specific character in return for the possibility of damage later. The rest of this level is pretty good, however. Gluttony is the best page here, so we want to be sure to get at least one level in Zone +1 or better to be able to pick it up immediately—but even if we don't, a pair of +0's will do it provided we pick Spores or Vines the first time.

Given the ubiquity of Pierce dice since Singleton and Wedge showed up, Vines slightly edges out Spores in my opinion for now, but both are strong options and which second page to go with depends largely on the current opponent/setup of our floor's decks.

Level 3

Level 3 pages are unique in that we can only pick one, but we always get all three options. Of them, I usually go for Barrier of Thorns. It adds a nice layer of protection to one Librarian which can occasionally heal them as well. Loyalty can also work as a decent capstone if we have a way to ensure one of our Librarians takes a ton of damage, but this is difficult to control and thus is generally a niche strategy. Malice… exists.

E.G.O.

For now, just assume that E.G.O are super-pages that we'll be able to get once our Emotion Level gets high enough, which can be played by any Librarian present in the reception that has enough light. That's close enough to the truth for our purposes, at any rate. :v:

Fourth Match Flame holds the distinction of being the first Summation Mass Attack that the player is likely to get their hands on, and it's designed to feel powerful in theory. In practice, it's a little swingy. When it rolls well, it destroys entire enemy formations, letting us quickly take down enemies who are defenseless after their entire die gets broken. When it rolls poorly… we've just spent 5 Light and an action to do nothing.

Notably, this page used to be a 5-32 range for 6. However, after the Project Moon director infamously whiffed with it live on stream, he declared it was a bug and the range/Light cost were buffed to their current form. (Link contains some future enemy designs, if you care about that kind of thing.)

Next up, The Forgotten. This page is a single massive Blunt die, which is going to make it very powerful for a good portion of the game. At a relatively cheap 3 Light, it's a strong defensive option. Slap it against a page that seems problematic to deal with, and if it wins the clash (and it generally will), the rest of the page is gone. I like it a lot, but it pales in comparison to…

Wingbeat. For only one more Light cost, we can crank out a patently absurd amount of damage. This page scales particularly well with Strength, so it's the go-to choice on any Lone Fixer setup as well. Unlike the more defensive Forgotten, Wingbeat is best used in a one-sided attack, or in a clash you cannot lose under any circumstances—both of its abilities are on hit, so a miss would be a waste of all that Light.

Hornet's a better version of Going for Bullseye, inflicting more Fragile and hitting harder than its sister page from Urban Plague for the same cost. Like any Ranged page, it's ideal for forcing a Stagger before an opponent can do something particularly nasty. This makes it situational, but also very good for those situations. I like pairing it with Wingbeat, as 5 Fragile with the number of hits that Wingbeat can output on the next turn leads to a lot of damage.

Lastly, there's Green Stem. Green Stem pairs well with Wedge, and is particularly good when paired with Vines (especially if combined with Barrier of Thorns) and any form of additional Power stacking. It being an Individual Mass Attack allows it to get a bit of damage through on enemies with less than 3 dice on their pages, and while its altogether 9-28 total makes it less reliable than Fourth Match Flame the ability to get some chip damage through makes it a somewhat reliable option even before Power is figured in. Altogether it's a very basic Individual Mass Attack—but remember that Pierce dice can be powered up via Mend Weapon, and possibly even Refine at higher Emotion Levels. There's some definite combo potential here.

Final Thoughts

Malkuth's floor, as befitting a first fully unlocked option, is a middle of the road floor with a little bit of everything. If it has any lean, it's towards effects that go off when a Librarian is hit, so having a slab of meat on hand to slap all of those pages onto and redirect attacks towards can be a strong option. Happy Memories allows us to set up a number of crazy strategies in longer fights, and our E.G.O selection is basic, but the lack of frills mean that we can use them to support a number of strategies.

Everyone in this game is more than half leg.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 29, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As a thought, perhaps part of the reason the -3 cards are so powerful is because they're intended to help people who are losing keep up. Instead of being goals to work before they're ways to undo failure states, from a game design perspective.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Lord_Magmar posted:

As a thought, perhaps part of the reason the -3 cards are so powerful is because they're intended to help people who are losing keep up. Instead of being goals to work before they're ways to undo failure states, from a game design perspective.

In some cases, you're probably right.

But also, Footfalls is just kinda' bad so like... only in SOME cases. :shrug:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TeeQueue posted:

In some cases, you're probably right.

But also, Footfalls is just kinda' bad so like... only in SOME cases. :shrug:

I wrote this before I read the commentary on Footfalls. I think that's more just awkward design from Project Moon sometimes. But people comment a lot on how powerful the -3 powers are and it makes sense to me that those powerful ones are intended as saving failure states, or rewarding particularly clever play.

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
Footfalls have saved me on a couple of occasions.

I would never recommend it except as a desperation pick.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's Project Moon ambitious jank interaction. Project Moon is very ambitious with its design and does custom poo poo, but that usually means that you will get weird interactions. Look at Tiphereth's current state as an example, where they currently can't get a II card at emotion level III because both Queen of Hatred and Knight of Despair just flooded you with I cards, instead. Or the fact that the III level cards still have the +0, -2 and whatever priorities despite the design meaning you can always pick the one you want of the 3.

As cool as the EGO pages are, they're not strictly necessary to actually beat the receptions. Reason I know that? Due to the way the interface works, I have a strong tendency to just outright forget that the EGO cards exist when I'm in the middle of the fight :downs:.

Malkuth isn't my favourite to use, but it's undeniable that her cards mean that you can build a pretty consistent setup. One Happy Memories librarian setup, and one tank setup that wants to get hit and can be given bonus healing to keep going. The EGO pages are a competent spread too, albeit as said, I personally can't give a great practical opinion on them due to being a dumbass.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Lord_Magmar posted:

While that looks true on History floor (DoA gives power where it counts and Footfalls lets you at leas deal damage to opponent at the cost of your life), it does not hold so well on some other floors. Some stongly negative cards are:

Musical addiction: destroys defensive dice. While its bonus is strong, you need a specific build to capitalise on it, otherwise it is doing more bad than goo. Not terribly useful as panic card.

Glitter: gives enemy Index targetting and empowers them. If you are losing already it is likely that enemy have action advantage and will simply swarm you.

Obsession: needs a specific floor setup and specific enemies to be effective.

Elation: some Power at the expense of being Staggered by the wind. If you are already being plummeted, lower Stagger will kill you.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I am gonna disagree with TeeQueue and argue that Loyalty is amazing and make the other two level 3 abno pages obsolete.

Barrier of thorns effect is mediocre and only procs when you get hit (Does it even proc for mass attacks?) and it's upgraded affect is RNG dependent and probably not worth it regardless unless you run a heavy defensive/prot build. By contrast Loyalty has an amazing effect that buffs up your whole team and procs from all damage taken, like say, bleed and burn. Malkuth also has Gluttony and Wingbeat as ways to restore health if you decided to forgo using Health Hauler.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
Malkuth, Floor of History. Good at being entirely consistent. Compared to most of the others, Malkuth has good coverage of damage types (slash only comes from Wingbeat and FMF), she has easy pages to set up a designated tank for the floor, and she favors variety in her floor's builds. A floor to experiment with ideas and builds.
If I had to claim a weakness to her floor, is that her consistency can cause problems, when we have to deal with certain mechanics/gimmicks down the line.

I like using simple methods for ranking, and don't care if some floors share a rating (hint: some of them will), so I'd give her a solid 4 out of 5.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

I wrote this before I read the commentary on Footfalls. I think that's more just awkward design from Project Moon sometimes. But people comment a lot on how powerful the -3 powers are and it makes sense to me that those powerful ones are intended as saving failure states, or rewarding particularly clever play.

Honestly I think Footfalls still fits this philosophy of "-3 cards are for comebacks", since it seems like it would have a lot of utility in the sort of situation where a librarian is going to die anyway, which is exactly where you might expect to be if you're doing poorly. It's less "sacrifice a librarian for a bunch of damage" and more "have someone who is about to die take someone else with them".

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022
As the many Abnormality Pages show, Malkuth's floor is great for a cactus strategy.

So, foes better watch who they're hitting, because if they hit the wrong librarian, they're toast.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

TeeQueue posted:

Everyone in this game is more than half leg.
Fixed

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Because I'm not terribly smart, I just noticed that the passive that marks the change of EGO for Angela is called 'Corrosion'. Catt from Wonderlab makes reference to EGO Corrosion.

So the term is basically saying that Angela's essentially being consumed by the EGO during the fights.

While you could easily surmise that from, well, the fights themselves, I suppose leave it up to Project Moon to just interlace all their different media here. I suppose that's why they can keep making games with such different mechanics within the world, they have such a strong grasp of how their world turns.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

She looks even shorter than Tiphereth, now.

All we need is to compare the two images, I guess.

Lunatic 0verlord fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 30, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I am extremely tempted to slap a clown outfit on this. The pants really make it look like that.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Evil Kit posted:

I am extremely tempted to slap a clown outfit on this. The pants really make it look like that.

my mind went to something worse, actually

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

MetaMeme posted:

We're all going to Hell for this, aren't we?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

MetaMeme posted:

Smalkuth and Talpereth :hmmyes:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
At last, the buff Hod set is complete

Rofaner
May 30, 2011

MetaMeme posted:

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

The real question here is how she is able to not collapse or fall.

And the only logical answer I can find is that she somehow learned how to fly. Or maybe she she has equipped a Key Page or Abnormality Page that gives her flight.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I... should get to work on the next update now. :negative:

Rofaner
May 30, 2011

TeeQueue posted:

I... should get to work on the next update now. :negative:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Book 29: Shi Association—Chapter 1

Music: Lobby

Lemme get this straight… Everyone's cleaning up downstairs, after that episode.

Yes.

And we're still accepting guests?

I saw no reason to hold off on the continuation of our journey.

It's not like you're alone. I'm here to talk you through all the hard parts.

Well, yes, but… Forget it. Let's just see who's coming today.

VIDEO
Music: StoryNervous

This is Valentin. For some reason, a number of his lines in this cutscene are not voiced. I have no idea why, but I think it might be related to the -01 at the end of the voice file names that isn't there for anyone else? :iiam:

He may be a Color, but that does not excuse the severity of a Fixer who doesn’t even belong to our Association setting us all up. He’s doing it so blatantly, too…

…I don’t see a way out of this… I heard even the Smiling Faces are involved…

This is rotten to the core… Director, what has become of the core values of the Shi? The very identity of our association…

If you want to overthrow the system, have patience. And sharpen your strength. There is nothing we can do in our current state.

The director is right. We… can’t do anything about it right now…

Dammit… He’s leaving us with all these dangerous requests, knowing that we’re fatigued…

Director Yujin will rise to become the president of Shi one day. We’ll be able to shake up this corrupted system once that time comes.

We are Section 2. Our role is to simply take care of the tasks given to us.

Director… We’ve been dealing with Urban Nightmare-class cases for ten consecutive days.

None of these will ever come up again.

We had to resolve all these requests in the last ten days, without even a break… We normally shouldn’t be handling more than one such case per week…

Most Fixers of the Southern Branch’s Section 2 have already died. And none of those who survived are in good enough condition to proceed with another request, including us.

We’re on the brink of a breakdown, both physically and mentally… You’ve seen how Section 3 and its Associate Offices got wiped out in a wave of unreasonable requests, and the same is happening to us now…

And most of all, your condition is looking worse than any of us, Director Yujin… You stood at the front and fought more vehemently than anyone, to keep others from getting hurt…

Broken parts can be mended, and wounds can be sewn up.

…Your injuries are simply too severe to be healed up in a day or two, director. Everyone in Section 2 has suffered damage that would take much longer than a few days to recover, in fact. Unless we had K Corp’s Singularity or something…

Director Yujin! Even if we were to handle this job successfully, they’ll still hand us yet more absurd cases!

…Valentin has a point. We might have to receive endless requests until Section 2 is annihilated and you are killed, director…

Music: StoryJinji

We aren’t heading to the Library simply to obey our superiors’ orders… Our objective is to retrieve the books of the Musicians of Bremen.

…They’re what we need to uncover the Blue Reverberation’s plots.

What do you mean…?

Are you suggesting that the books of the Musicians could contain information about the Blue Reverberation?

We will at least be able to find out what he is conspiring.

…I understand your intention. But acquiring that information isn’t going to be the end of it. What exactly are you planning to do?

I will take my own measures once this request is done.

Can we actually trust this, director? Can you promise us that you aren’t going to harm yourself for the sake of Section 2?

You’ve always been so self-sacrificing, director…

You can count on me. I know my own life matters. We can’t turn the tide if we’re dead.

Gather up the ones who can still move and fight. We don’t want to bring anyone who will only prove to be a burden there.

Understood.

Music: Lobby

Are you really sure you’re just a small, no-name Fixer? Even I can tell that your connections are simply too broad and deep for a mediocre Fixer at this point.

To answer your question, yes, I’m only a Grade 9 Fixer. That’s after I fell to rock bottom in a turn of events, though. I used to be a common Fixer, really.

Is that so? What grade were you at before, then?

It’s honestly hard to believe, but… if you say so.

Wow, that was a lot less distrust than I expected…

Anyway, I was just an ordinary Fixer who mostly collected intel. That’s why I got so many connections. I can only put up a decent fight now thanks to the new body you gave me and the Library’s powers.

You said trust is important in this business, right? Is it okay to see an acquaintance of yours die like that?

It’s unfortunate to see ‘em struggle, yeah. Here’s the thing, though; we only saw things from their perspective. You think they’re free from the blame of killing some other people who struggled for life and fought for change?

I suppose not.

That’s how it is. Someone they killed must have been in circumstances as unfortunate as theirs. Well, unless they weren’t. Point is, there’s no way for everyone to be equally happy. It’s a matter of perspective.

So they opt to simply do their work without ever trying to get to know each other.

Everyone has their own stories. But we can’t give up ours for the sake of someone else’s. Like what we’re doing. That’s that, and this is this.

Music: Entrance

Director…

Focus on the work for now. We’ll take care of what we can first.

Greetings. I am Yujin, Director of Shi’s Section 2. Introduce yourselves, everyone.

Huh? But…

When someone greets us, it’s only polite for us to greet them back, isn’t it?

Yessir! I am Tenma, Associate Fixer in Section 2 of the Shi.

Valentin, Associate Fixer in Section 2 of the Shi.

I am Angela, the director and librarian of my role’s namesake.

I came here through the invitation to acquire the books that are said to be here.

Then may you find your books in this place, dear guests.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Getting our asses kicked by a bunch of half-dead Fixers.

Videos

Shi Association 1

Hey… this isn't any of our floors, right?

Right. And?

Then why are we the ones stuck with cleaning everything up?

We're all pitching in because the things that happen on Malkuth's floor affect all of us.

We're in a completely different place.

Look over there. You can see it, right?

Ahh… right. I guess they're all connected.

Pretty much. A mess here could spread to our floors, and the next thing you know, bam. There's a problem. So we're all pitching in this time.

Fair enough. Is that why they're so intense?

Keep things running smoothly, team. As soon as we're done with our portion, we're heading back.

Probably. Yesod runs a tight ship.

I kind of miss having actual leadership, and not…

HAHAHAHAHA! Catch, boss!

Ow.

That.

Hah, Hod's like the best of both worlds. She's focused, but she's not too focused.

Don't suppose I can transfer, can I?

I don't think it works that way. Thanks for asking, though.

Eh… worth a shot, anyways…

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Oh, no, they destroyed lady Gaga tailor.

TeeQueue posted:

[i]Are you suggesting that the books of the Musicians could contain information about the Blue Reverberation?
But... those Musicians whose books we have did not go with Blue Reverberation.

TeeQueue posted:

Can we actually trust this, director? Can you promise us that you aren’t going to harm yourself for the sake of Section 2?
It is nice to have an organisation, whose member care about each other, who are not cannibals or homicidal maniacs.

And they are polite to Angela! Best guests 10/10 would invite again.

TeeQueue posted:

Next time, on Library of Ruina: Getting our asses kicked by a bunch of half-dead Fixers.
Did you decide not to use any of the lower floors? You are going to suffer.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MiiNiPaa posted:

But Meow was there when the Blue Reverberation recruited the others, so at the very least the Shi would find out what he offered in exchange for their services.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

MiiNiPaa posted:

Did you decide not to use any of the lower floors? You are going to suffer.
It's TQ. Why would TQ use a fully levelled up floor when you have Roland/Keter Floor.

They're the first opponent that impressed me. They're severely exhausted and injured, yet they can still kick your rear end.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

MiiNiPaa posted:

The Shi don't know that. They only know we have the 'Book of the Musicians of Bremen'.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Not crazy enough, too polite, no cannibalism. Boring guests, book and move on

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Keter’s still at 3 people at this point, yeah?

That’s also the primary reason why Keter falls off so hard. We have a fully unlocked floor and Keter is still only having 2 Abnormalities.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

We've joked about Finn, Mars, Lulu, and Philip sounding like anime protagonists; these guys sound like RPG protagonists. I hope Project Moon's eventual Fixer office game (that is in the plans, right?) has quests missions of the same caliber.

seriously, I want to know what the "oblivion ingots" and "Fragment from Beyond" are

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
I like the Shi for numerous reasons; their personalities are only part of it. They're not my favorite Association, but they're close to it. Also Yujin spewing the androgyny look. I love her.

I did this fight a lot later in the tier, so I'm curious to see what it'll be like in this stage, without the cards I relied on at this point.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
originally this post was a general kenobi post but I didn't refresh cause I'm a moron.

Anyways, these guys are the nicest guests yet. No bat swinging, no cannibalism, just a nice greeting and they clearly care about eachother.

You know, from the perspective of the guests, would the library be similar to a JRPG dungeon? We're just the high level enemies guarding the dungeon while they comb through looking for books. Maybe that's why there's a floor limit: eventually they will find their book and they can just peace out.

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 30, 2022

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

What's the Shi association's favorite rhythm? Four on the floor! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ah yes, the Lion-Eating Poets in the Stone Den Association