Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is the captains quarters and the pet room bugged? Nothing happens after I accept to place it on the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tenzarin posted:

The computer kinda doesn't to turn its boat to shoot you with its cannons it feels like. I swear sometimes they shoot at me while I'm behind their ship and they are sailing away from me.

The Voyager has two front-mounted cannons and one rear-mounted cannon. If the enemy ship has a square body with a double-pronged bottom instead of the traditional single hull tub, then it's a Voyager.

Also, my only official and full complaint with POE2 is your complete inability to tell someone no when they're a quest-giver. I want to be able to tell people to gently caress off and that I'm not interested in their quest, not only be able to give an "ehhh maybe" and then get the quest anyways.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

frajaq posted:

Doing Hanged Sepulchers at lvl 6 and PotD is loving scary as hell
I was at the same level on veteran and stealth was an extremely useful way to strike patrols when they were isolated and avoid that mausoleum fight.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tenzarin posted:

Is the captains quarters and the pet room bugged? Nothing happens after I accept to place it on the ship.

No? Did you go belowdeck to check them out?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tenzarin posted:

Yes sort of. If you click and drag it into the slot it won't work. If you single click, then single click the upgrade slot, it should "stick".

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Disposition checking definitely needs to be changed to a percentile system system because as is, it's kinda nutso, but that's a pretty large overhaul that could easily break.
Seems like it would be easier to instead make it a 'last 10 or 20 checks' sort of thing, so your old Shady checks from ages ago 'fall off'.

Right now my biggest issue with the ship system - which works if you understand the UI - is that with my 100% upgraded ship as well as an overlevelled party, mashing the "full speed ahead" and "prepare to board" options is literally faster, including doing the combat sequence, than it is to try to sink the enemy with cannons, and it's less damage to my hull.

So I have no actual incentive to engage with the system because BAM FULL SPEED AHEAD GO GO GO.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah but it's kind of lame to have the finest ship on the seas and you just use it to board a ship. Gat some nerds down!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bewilderment posted:

So I have no actual incentive to engage with the system because BAM FULL SPEED AHEAD GO GO GO.

Same, I figured that out fairly quickly that with a well-equipped stable of characters (including ones you can roll yourself), you can take down big ships with big loot, and boarding gives you the biggest bang for your buck. I mean, it IS fun to play shootems too, but if I'm looking to rank up my crew quickly, there's no option better.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Stokes posted:

Ship combat is so incredibly terrible and needlessly confusing that I'm already to call PoE1 vastly superior to 2.

I'm a little confused by the talk of "we're going all in on the ship stuff because people thought the stronghold was too barebones in 1" or whatever it was, because the ship feels a LOT more barebones than Caed Nua was, there's just more forced busywork.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah honestly I think Maia and Tekehu are a good dichotomy. Tekehu is a conceited shitlord on the surface, but a good person who tries to help people in practice. Maia is likable and cracks jokes, but in practice she's a gleeful little shitheaded fascist.

kind of odd that every woman in your party in this game is a psychopath or a fascist if you don't count the sidekicks who seem more well adjusted.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

bewilderment posted:

Disposition checking definitely needs to be changed to a percentile system system because as is, it's kinda nutso, but that's a pretty large overhaul that could easily break.
Seems like it would be easier to instead make it a 'last 10 or 20 checks' sort of thing, so your old Shady checks from ages ago 'fall off'.

I think the problem (at least for me) is not that it's too easy to gain or lose reputation points it's that they're points to begin with. It turns fundamental things about how you want to interact with the world into just another stat. A character might have a perfectly moral and decent reason for threatening someone in an interaction or using information they've uncovered to blackmail them (to avoid bloodshed or to get information to rescue someone in danger) but the game will always treat that as +1 shady rear end in a top hat points.
If every NPC involved in that interaction dies right after or it happens in a cave in the middle of nowhere with a hermit that reputation score will still carry over.

Personality tracking is too complex to be done well so games should probably just not do it and approach every interaction individually.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sailing around the map I think I may have found where the main plot is going before learning about why I should be going there when I looked into the distance. I just want to explore you game, not complete you yet.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

It was definitely jarring having people call my character underhanded and untrustworthy when I was playing the most bluntly honest and upfront character imaginable, to a comical and self-sabotaging degree. But I guess I talked to some pirates once or something.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I like how after robbing him blind the best the archmage can muster in response is indifferent sassiness.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Your Parents posted:

kind of odd that every woman in your party in this game is a psychopath or a fascist if you don't count the sidekicks who seem more well adjusted.

When you get right down to it, the career of Murder Hobo does not attract the most balanced, well adjusted folks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

snoremac posted:

I like how after robbing him blind the best the archmage can muster in response is indifferent sassiness.

He's rich and famous enough that it really doesn't mean anything to him in the long run, even if you kill your way through his staff in the process. To him it's like coming home to see your dog has chewed up your favorite book and peed on the carpet - frustrating but you'll get over it.

His reaction to you coming in wearing his robes is priceless though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Pro-tip:

You can make character portraits specific for any character by

1) screenshotting a face closeup during character creation

2) load the screenshot into irfanview and crop it down to a 210 x 330 pixel rectangle (use the image-change canvas size options to get it exact right) and name that [charactername]_lg.png

3) run the screenshot through the "color temperature" filter in Irfanview and then through as many layers of "oil filter" as you want, resize to 90x141 pixels, then "save as" that as [charactername]_convo.png

4) resize _lg.png down to 76x96 and save as [charactername]_sm.png

5) resize _convo.png down to 76x96 and save as [charactername]_si.png

I think that's everything you need to do to get it working. Results are not perfect but if your character is something that's hard to find on the internet in pre-existing art (i.e., not an elf with huge knockers ) it can be a decent substitute.

Examples:

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Is there a way to increase the number of casts per encounter? Besides empower.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FunkMonkey posted:

He's rich and famous enough that it really doesn't mean anything to him in the long run, even if you kill your way through his staff in the process. To him it's like coming home to see your dog has chewed up your favorite book and peed on the carpet - frustrating but you'll get over it.

Also, he's smarter than Concelhaut and he probably knows what happened to Concelhaut. Unlike every other NPC in the game setting, he's not gonna throw down when he doesn't have to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Erd posted:

Is there a way to increase the number of casts per encounter? Besides empower.

"Brilliant" inspiration, currently only from Chanters at high level. Also a specific spellbook in the Dark Cauldron gives wizards extra spell casts but makes you get interrupted more easily.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Is there anywhere you can buy/get loads of pyrite? I keep finding all this equipment I want to try out but I can't upgrade for lack of this one ingredient.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Brilliant" inspiration, currently only from Chanters at high level. Also a specific spellbook in the Dark Cauldron gives wizards extra spell casts but makes you get interrupted more easily.

It is impossible to walk through a wall of flame with this grimoire equipped. Otherwise it owns.

How does empower work with things like buffs and revives? Does it change anything?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Greaseman posted:

Is there anywhere you can buy/get loads of pyrite? I keep finding all this equipment I want to try out but I can't upgrade for lack of this one ingredient.

This but also for 'Solution'.

I have thousands of pans and pires but don't know where to spend them to upgrade my party's gear.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Been using this for my main character because it works well with my brinksmanship build and walking around wearing it is hilarious. Walking into faction headquarters and chatting it up looking like a goddam serial killer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Your Parents posted:

Ydwin is not anywhere near well adjusted. She literally ripped out her own soul, and is a fampyr.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

wiegieman posted:

Ydwin is not anywhere near well adjusted. She literally ripped out her own soul, and is a fampyr.

There's a reason the only thing Rekke says about her is something to the effect of "SCARY".

Also I'm enjoying the sidekicks a lot more than most of the new companions sadly. They're not all winners (Konstanten) but they're very fun. Are there plans to flesh them out further in dlc or updates? I thought I read that somewhere.

Rabbi Tupac fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 20, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So how about that Rekke fellow :stare:

Once he learns Aedyran he has some uh, INTERESTING stuff to say. For one, he's a missionary of a monotheist religion come to bring the word of capital g God to the mythical western lands beyond the storms. He also has no concept of the Engwithan pantheon whatsoever, which begs a lot of questions.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rabbi Tupac posted:

There's a reason the only thing Rekke says about her is something to the effect of "SCARY".

I also really appreciate her response to Aloth. He needs knocking down a few pegs, pretty much all the time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Also I'm enjoying the sidekicks a lot more than most of the new companions sadly. They're not all winners (Konstanten) but they're very fun. Are there plans to flesh them out further in dlc or updates? I thought I read that somewhere.

They said they were open to the idea in a recent Q&A but that's all we got.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Konstanten is pretty much the most normal person in the whole dang game and I found him really refreshing. No dire life goal, no tragic backstory, just a chipper pottery enthusiast with a self-acknowledged cozy life who tags along because it's an exciting change of pace. I wish he was a full companion and just had very mundane, flippant reactions to all the ridiculous poo poo that goes on in the story. He'd be a permanent fixture of my group.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you not enchant legendary items? So is enchanting just for buffing up the starter and mid range gear?

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
You can only enchant unique items, the ones with the yellow borders. Some that are already legendary do have other things you can add to them.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Generic Legendary items are not supposed to be dropping. If you have any, report it as a bug.

Also re: Companion Chat, Konstanten loving owns. He's just a guy - no crazy backstory, no moral crusade to go on. I have enormous respect for the writers including a dude who decided to go on an insane, god-hunting adventure with someone who can see dead people just because he was bored giving massages and he couldn't do as much pottery as he wanted.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is the interior of different ship classes different? Like can I get a ship with more room for my petting zoo and a fancy place to bang Xoti and Modwyr?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Has anyone tried Monk/Soul Blade yet? It looks like it would be pretty strong from the Ciphers +30% and then using Soul Annihilation for just bunch of added raw damage on top.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Axetrain posted:

Has anyone tried Monk/Soul Blade yet? It looks like it would be pretty strong from the Ciphers +30% and then using Soul Annihilation for just bunch of added raw damage on top.

It's...functional. There's honestly almost no actual synergy between them, you're mostly just mashing the strongest class in the game (monk) with a near empty class that has like three good tricks (cipher). I mean, you'll do fine - the game doesn't really have a difficulty - but fighter's a better multiclass for cipher, and either no multiclass at all or fighter/barbarian/paladin is better for monk.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Got it. I've been stuck in character indecision hell since launch, and I think I'm just gonna make a pure monk since I've heard good things.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The one true Monk multiclass is Shifter/Nalpazca. Kung fu werelion that’s tripping balls 24/7 is simply the only way to live. :catdrugs:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Pro-tip:

You can make character portraits specific for any character by

1) screenshotting a face closeup during character creation

2) load the screenshot into irfanview and crop it down to a 210 x 330 pixel rectangle (use the image-change canvas size options to get it exact right) and name that [charactername]_lg.png

3) run the screenshot through the "color temperature" filter in Irfanview and then through as many layers of "oil filter" as you want, resize to 90x141 pixels, then "save as" that as [charactername]_convo.png

4) resize _lg.png down to 76x96 and save as [charactername]_sm.png

5) resize _convo.png down to 76x96 and save as [charactername]_si.png

I think that's everything you need to do to get it working. Results are not perfect but if your character is something that's hard to find on the internet in pre-existing art (i.e., not an elf with huge knockers ) it can be a decent substitute.

If you're still looking around for Orlan portraits, I found this one and set it up for use in-game. The watercolor version isn't incredible but I thought it turned out okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

The one true Monk multiclass is Shifter/Nalpazca. Kung fu werelion that’s tripping balls 24/7 is simply the only way to live. :catdrugs:

I've long known that my next character is going to be a Shifter/Shattered Pillar and going Bloody Roar on some chumps.