Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Is there anyway to reverse the main & subworlds? Or have the start & end in opposite areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I updated an older level of mine to make it a little easier. Got rid of some enemies and the plethora of secret blocks, and added an optional "hard" area that gives you a bunch of 1-ups, but that's it.

Yoshis & Helmets v2

Edit: Also, a thing I noticed. If Nintendo removes your level from their servers (due to unpopularity, I assume), there's no way to re-upload it again outside of starting from scratch. You can't rename the level or save it in a new slot. It's marked forever as non-uploadable.

Your level link doesn't work.

Orgophlax posted:

Is there anyway to reverse the main & subworlds? Or have the start & end in opposite areas?

No. Maybe you can try copying and pasting between the two areas to switch them.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 3, 2016

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Beat this. Now I can burn your house down and die.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Mezzanine posted:

Kind of a cross-post, but Super Mario Maker was featured in the annual New Years Eve "Gaki no Tsukai Batsu Game" show (has a loyal following in the TV subforum). Spoilered since, if you watch it, you're probably waiting for the fan translations:

The members play a custom course. It seems pretty standard fare, which is tough enough for some 40-something comedians who don't play games regularly. On their 30th or so attempt, Tanaka, despite all odds, manages to get to the end. He goes in a pipe, which dumps him into the void and has the blocks spelling out "Tanaka, Thai Kick" over it. The Muay Thai man then comes in and does his thing.

Is that right.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Here's the newest section of my Super Mario Voyage project! Here are links to the posts containing previous worlds:
Island World & Frozen World
Vine World
Mech World

Steamvent Spinies is the new one in the bunch below. I wanted to make a level that used stacked enemies in a creative fashion that wasn’t just “now you deal with 8 stacked koopas”. Hope you enjoy the set!

Ancient World

SMV 5-1: Steamvent Spinies

SMV 5-2: Bone-Dry Dunes

SMV 5-3: Thwomp Ruins

SMV 5-4: Fossil Fortress

Keep an eye on the sky for the next one, coming soon!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

^^^^
I made it through your first two worlds so far. Really awesome job. The weakest level was Arctic Asylum for me, but still good.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Your level link doesn't work.

Thanks. Fixed the original post. Re-linking here since it's a new page.

Yoshis & Helmets v2

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

High Hopes
EBD7-0000-016B-3E5F

My first level in, like, two months. It's a pretty difficult one that's mostly about bouncing on bumpers and not falling into pits. I hope you like it!!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

New course!

Airship Attack!
0E36-0000-016D-2D3F

No good screen shots cause the airship is technically the subworld and I guess the site only uses the main world for screens. Oh well. But play it! I think it's a pretty good old school SMB3 airship level.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Orgophlax posted:

No good screen shots cause the airship is technically the subworld and I guess the site only uses the main world for screens.
The map only shows the main world but the screen shot is taken wherever you're at when you select to upload the level

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Does anyone know if there's a way to save levels to an SD card to play on another Wii U where internet isn't available? This seems like an obvious feature, but this is Nintendo we're talking about here.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hey I made another level, short one this time because of block limitations. Lame

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E208-0000-016D-A3B5

I bookmarked a bunch of levels from the last few pages of this thread and I'll go through them all later. Hopefully they are good.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I just played a cool level using a mechanic/bug that I didn't know existed. Apparently Magikoopas can transform the end-level flagpole like any other block and it won't turn back unless you kill the Magikoopa.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Uploaded a short, precision-jumping level with the SMB theme. It's by no means a Kaizo, but it does take a certain level of skill. I marked the big blind jump at the beginning with a coin trail, but it's just a full on sprint jump, so it shouldn't be hard to get after a try or two.

Precision
6515-0000-016E-7120

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
I apologize for ruining the success rate on some of the easier levels. The world record time update has made me reset a bunch of times. Was hoping I could set times on my own levels, oh well.
Pretty straightforward gimmick, it delivered what it promised. I liked the hard section at the end, but it probably could've used a checkpoint so the player doesn't have to choose between attempting the hard thing or replaying the easier parts of the level.

Rollersnake posted:

High Hopes
EBD7-0000-016B-3E5F

My first level in, like, two months. It's a pretty difficult one that's mostly about bouncing on bumpers and not falling into pits. I hope you like it!!
This ended up being meaner than I expected, but only because of the little things. Like the hammer bros after the checkpoint or the sideways spring at the top of the sublevel. The ramp up of the mechanic as well as the variety of challenges were good. This was actually my first time seeing bumpers in action and I was able to get used to them without dying over and over.

Orgophlax posted:

New course!

Airship Attack!
0E36-0000-016D-2D3F

No good screen shots cause the airship is technically the subworld and I guess the site only uses the main world for screens. Oh well. But play it! I think it's a pretty good old school SMB3 airship level.
The difference in difficulty between having a leaf and not having it is quite large, so that's definitely a sign you have too many things flying all over the place. I'd definitely put the difficulty way above the SMB3 airship levels; I assume this stage will end up in expert. If you removed a few cannons and allowed the player to kill the rocky wrenches it would probably help a lot.

Overbite posted:

Hey I made another level, short one this time because of block limitations. Lame

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E208-0000-016D-A3B5

I bookmarked a bunch of levels from the last few pages of this thread and I'll go through them all later. Hopefully they are good.
I'm gonna group your level into three sections: the start/underground until the bomb bridge, the bomb bridge, and the rest (mostly thwomps). I liked the opening part of the stage the most, the multiple paths and side areas were good to run through. The bomb bridge and thwomp section didn't really feel like they belonged in the same level as the first segment. The bomb bridge was a neat idea (though I got impatient and skipped it thanks to your lower door), but it was definitely a big change of pace

Uploaded a short, precision-jumping level with the SMB theme. It's by no means a Kaizo, but it does take a certain level of skill. I marked the big blind jump at the beginning with a coin trail, but it's just a full on sprint jump, so it shouldn't be hard to get after a try or two.

Precision
6515-0000-016E-7120
I'm curious to see where this level ends up (probably expert), because it's probably too hard for normal but aside from the long jump it isn't too bad. This is the only level of those in this post that I didn't replay to get a quick time on, mostly because I wanted to leave it at 50% clear rate so it might show up in some easy/normal 100 man challenges.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Maxxim posted:

I'm curious to see where this level ends up (probably expert), because it's probably too hard for normal but aside from the long jump it isn't too bad. This is the only level of those in this post that I didn't replay to get a quick time on, mostly because I wanted to leave it at 50% clear rate so it might show up in some easy/normal 100 man challenges.

it's okay, I ruined the clear rate for you

gently caress your trampolines

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

This one was pretty fun, felt almost like an authentic SMB3 level. I lost lives due to not seeing cannons due to vertical screen splits, so I recommend being careful on that in the future.

Edit: Oops, I must've accidentally removed my feedback the first time.

Totally echoing the criticism already delivered. I thought the layout in good was general, but fewer projectiles would go a long way. Also, did I totally miss a check point, or was that absent?

I tried, I just couldn't do it. Too many bounce jumps you needed good timing for, and instant death is so punishing. Luigi was my favorite part of this course.

DarkLich fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 4, 2016

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Maxxim posted:

Orgophlax posted:

New course!

Airship Attack!
0E36-0000-016D-2D3F

The difference in difficulty between having a leaf and not having it is quite large, so that's definitely a sign you have too many things flying all over the place. I'd definitely put the difficulty way above the SMB3 airship levels; I assume this stage will end up in expert. If you removed a few cannons and allowed the player to kill the rocky wrenches it would probably help a lot.
Yeah maybe. Though I don't feel it's any more difficult than the world 7 or 8 airships/tanks. Truth be told the leaf is there as a bit of a decoy. Figured the fire flower would be more useful to help take out the hammer bros on the bridge.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 4, 2016

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So I didn't play for like three months and then I suddenly did again. I made two levels but I'm really out of practice.

Tiny Trouble
82EF-0000-016B-1E2F

Magikoopa's Troopas
C214-0000-016E-C8B2

The single screen level in particular I'm unhappy with. Mostly because if I made the stacked blocks any higher you couldn't get past them, but at their current height they are too easy to jump over. Doing it in steps of one just didn't look right to me so that was a no-go as well, and having a half-step looked awkward. So I went for style over substance. The airship level is a bit better, I think. It's meant to play like a classic level. Unfortunately I don't have anybody to play test these things. Its thumbnail is messed up, though. It missed Magikoopa; he's off screen to the right a bit.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 4, 2016

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Pasta Sauce Palace

This one hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as the other new levels I posted, not sure why. I know some of you played it. No gimmick here, I just thought that the Mario 3 level looked like pasta sauce.

The Wild Boo Yonder

And this one just feels neglected in general, it dates all the way back to Halloween originally. I'm worried it's too long but maybe you won't think so?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I woke up 5 times last night with level ideas that I had to write down. I was debating calling in sick this morning, so I could make them ASAP. What the hell is wrong with me? They'll all turn out lovely anyway.

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

The Lobster posted:

So I didn't play for like three months and then I suddenly did again. I made two levels but I'm really out of practice.

Tiny Trouble
82EF-0000-016B-1E2F

Magikoopa's Troopas
C214-0000-016E-C8B2

The single screen level in particular I'm unhappy with. Mostly because if I made the stacked blocks any higher you couldn't get past them, but at their current height they are too easy to jump over. Doing it in steps of one just didn't look right to me so that was a no-go as well, and having a half-step looked awkward. So I went for style over substance. The airship level is a bit better, I think. It's meant to play like a classic level. Unfortunately I don't have anybody to play test these things. Its thumbnail is messed up, though. It missed Magikoopa; he's off screen to the right a bit.
The single screen level seemed like a nice and quick way to show off the magikoopa mechanic. It seems difficult to add a ton of substance to a one room level that revolves around a magikoopa, so I think going for style was the right choice.

The airship level felt like a classic mario level to me, I liked it. The only thing I wanted to point out is that there's a bit of a blind jump if you go up and grab the 1up. It isn't terrible since there's ground everywhere, but coins or an arrow would make that feel safer.

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Pasta Sauce Palace

This one hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as the other new levels I posted, not sure why. I know some of you played it. No gimmick here, I just thought that the Mario 3 level looked like pasta sauce.

The Wild Boo Yonder

And this one just feels neglected in general, it dates all the way back to Halloween originally. I'm worried it's too long but maybe you won't think so?
I was disappointed that my attempt to fly over the whole pasta level ended up slower than just playing it normally. It didn't really feel too much like a castle level so I was a bit surprised to see the Jr fight at the end. That's not really a negative, I just wanted to say something else about your level.

I didn't really have trouble with your boo autoscroller, but it does seem like it might be a bit tricky if you don't manage the boos properly. I can't remember if there was a checkpoint at the start of the second segment, but if there wasn't it would probably help a lot. No one really wants to replay slow autoscroller sections.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

It's amazing how backwards Nintendo is to anything relating to online. If you check "Remember Me" on the bookmarks site, it doesn't actually log you back in automatically. You have click Log In for it to do so.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's a new level for you to enjoy, probably. Main gimmick here is that dying gives you better powerups to start with, but the level itself shouldn't be too hard without them. I did make a boss battle using the magikoopa axe removal trick too so hopefully that should be interesting.

Try, Try, Try Again!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I only need five more stars!! please people... play my levels... https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/golbex

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Maxxim posted:

I'm gonna group your level into three sections: the start/underground until the bomb bridge, the bomb bridge, and the rest (mostly thwomps). I liked the opening part of the stage the most, the multiple paths and side areas were good to run through. The bomb bridge and thwomp section didn't really feel like they belonged in the same level as the first segment. The bomb bridge was a neat idea (though I got impatient and skipped it thanks to your lower door), but it was definitely a big change of pace

Yeah the thwomp part was going to be more involved but like I said, it wouldn't let me put down any more blocks so I had to end the underground section earlier than I had planned. I don't like it when you can see empty space past walls/floors/ceilings so I fill it all in and end up using too many blocks :(

DarkLich posted:

This one was pretty fun, felt almost like an authentic SMB3 level. I lost lives due to not seeing cannons due to vertical screen splits, so I recommend being careful on that in the future.

I see what you mean about the cannons. I never had any problem with them but I guess that's because I knew they were there.

Thank you both for the feedback :cabot:

Also I made another level. SUPER 300in1. It's terrible.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8A5A-0000-0172-A1C2

And I had to fix my previous level ARE YOU OK? BUSTER WOLF because of an exploit where people could skip the entire "puzzle." Here it is again for the first time.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/2E68-0000-0172-4224

Also since I have a post here might as well pimp my older levels I am proud of.

BEYOND VANILLADOME
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/ECCF-0000-003F-9601

CASTLE MEDIOCRE
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B624-0000-0039-EDD1

Overbite fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 5, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Pasta Sauce Palace

The Wild Boo Yonder

Gonna try these out but in general I think you're best bet is to somehow wind up in a random youtube video showing you off otherwise it's a slow roll of stars overtime.

Speaking of which I'm now tempted to look up random youtube videos to see if my Kirby level showed up as in about 3 days it nearly has 80 stars and that's... genuinely freaking me out and I can only explain it via it showing up for someone.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I wanted to try to emulate the feel of the castle levels in SMW. I think the level turned out pretty well and would be considered an early- to mid-game castle in terms of difficulty. Though, after watching my wife play the level, I might be mistaken, and it could be harder than I thought.

Reznor's Castle
37D0-0000-0172-FDD4

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

g0lbez posted:

I only need five more stars!! please people... play my levels... https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/golbex

I liked your "Bowser's Still Mad" stage but I felt like it should have ended after the shooter part. Not just because I died afterward and there wasn't a checkpojnt, but also just because the shooter boss felt like the end to the stage and I'm not sure what those spiny shells were about :v: Cool level otherwise! I liked the Kirby-ish between-round bonuses

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Destroy the Mechanized Planet
F904-0000-0173-1992

Spoilers: You destroy the planet.

Maxxim posted:

I didn't really have trouble with your boo autoscroller, but it does seem like it might be a bit tricky if you don't manage the boos properly. I can't remember if there was a checkpoint at the start of the second segment, but if there wasn't it would probably help a lot.

There was indeed a checkpoint; I got to use it a bunch of times cuz I suck. Sorry for lowering you clear rate, Gnome Enthusiast. It felt very fair though cuz there was usually a couple ways to deal with any given obstacle and I kept thinking, "now I know what to do." ...And then I'd gently caress it up anyway.

Sam Faust posted:

Here's a new level for you to enjoy, probably. Main gimmick here is that dying gives you better powerups to start with, but the level itself shouldn't be too hard without them. I did make a boss battle using the magikoopa axe removal trick too so hopefully that should be interesting.

Try, Try, Try Again!

Gonna try this one next; both of those tricks sound interesting and maybe useful. I've been attempting to make Megaman-ish boss battles and it's not easy; you either make them super unforgiving or just a series of easy puzzles masquerading as combat (like my course above...)

e: Okay, that was fun. And naturally after rambling about my suckitude I didn't make a single mistake and had to play it again to experience the bonus powerups.

Though I guess the Magikoopa trick doesn't really erase the axe, just makes it invisible? Ah well, still a useful gimmick.

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 5, 2016

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Maxxim posted:

The single screen level seemed like a nice and quick way to show off the magikoopa mechanic. It seems difficult to add a ton of substance to a one room level that revolves around a magikoopa, so I think going for style was the right choice.

The airship level felt like a classic mario level to me, I liked it. The only thing I wanted to point out is that there's a bit of a blind jump if you go up and grab the 1up. It isn't terrible since there's ground everywhere, but coins or an arrow would make that feel safer.

Thank you! I don't think anybody has really reviewed my levels before. Unfortunately, d'oh! Blind jump! Thank you for pointing that out! I'll add an arrow and reupload it. Thanks! That's what happens when you don't have playtesters, haha.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Gotten back into Mario Making, and I couldn't be happier.

The one I'm happiest with is this one, Friends Through Ups and Downs (9462-0000-0173-3321). It's a co-op level, with Yoshi. I really wanted to make a fun puzzle course, one that wouldn't be too unapproachable so that regular people want to figure it out and hopefully well designed enough that it teaches you what you need to know. As such there are no enemies, no hard time limits, no blind jumps and no random guessing, and it's not especially long. There are, however, lots of secrets and machines.

I am especially proud of this machine: the difficulty switch.

Because wanted it to be a journey you take with one particular Yoshi, from start to finish. I still want people to be able to finish it though, with a checkpoint. The course has 3 possible 1UPs (beyond coins): the flagpole, and those two mushrooms there. You can activate the P switch, and use the POW block to kill the thwomp and get them, but if you do, you swear off getting any other Yoshi: the yellow block will turn into a coin and the Bullet Bill launcher will drop down in front of the Yoshi pipe (squashing the Yoshi already waiting there), and the POW block will cause that coin to fall and despawn permanently, meaning that the launcher will always drop into place upon spawning. An invisible block underneath the yellow block prevents someone attempting to mount Yoshi from dropping the launcher. Since the checkpoint is after a one-way wall, after dying you'll lose the challenge: you'll always be down at least one 1UP, and as such the Yoshi pipe will be accessible.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 5, 2016

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

Try, Try, Try Again!
I haven't seen this done with checkpoints yet, that's pretty cool. Without the checkpoint powerups the level is probably in high normal/low expert range, I'd expect most of the problems to occur with the firebars.

Overbite posted:

Also I made another level. SUPER 300in1. It's terrible.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8A5A-0000-0172-A1C2

And I had to fix my previous level ARE YOU OK? BUSTER WOLF because of an exploit where people could skip the entire "puzzle." Here it is again for the first time.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/2E68-0000-0172-4224

Also since I have a post here might as well pimp my older levels I am proud of.

BEYOND VANILLADOME
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/ECCF-0000-003F-9601

CASTLE MEDIOCRE
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B624-0000-0039-EDD1
Super 300in1: agreed.

Buster wolf: I don't really like the design of the "puzzle" at the end, I think you hit quite a few pain points with that segment.
* It's very possible you won't be aware of the requirement the first time through, which ends up leading to your death. I'd suggest a floor with a door that takes you backwards.
* Getting the required powerup requires you to find an invisible block. It's fairly obvious where it should be, but still doesn't feel very good.
* You can get stuck above the powerup box if you jump up there
* If you lose the powerup you have to get yourself killed and try again. A pipe that constantly spawns them would be nicer.

Unrelated to the above, the dry bones at the very beginning hit me with a bone a few times as I was jumping up. It was basically a blind death.

Vanilla dome: Got blind-killed by the koopa and/or goomba at the start a few times. Wasn't really a fan of the bowser fight. I think the rest was fine, I'm having trouble remembering.

Castle mediocre: My favourite of the bunch. There was a bit too much going on here design wise (you had enough enemies/trap themes to make two levels), but it played pretty smoothly. If it wasn't for the large assortment of obstacles it would definitely feel like a classic castle level.

I wanted to try to emulate the feel of the castle levels in SMW. I think the level turned out pretty well and would be considered an early- to mid-game castle in terms of difficulty. Though, after watching my wife play the level, I might be mistaken, and it could be harder than I thought.

Reznor's Castle
37D0-0000-0172-FDD4
I really liked this, and thought the reznor fight was done well. I think the moving platform was a bit too much to make this an early-to-mid castle, though I didn't really have any problems with it. In the future you should consider adding wings to your platforms that are on rails, they feel ridiculously slow otherwise.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Finally made a new stage after a million billion years. It requires following clues, so get out some paper and take notes while playing!

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/EF53-0000-0173-C147

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F3C8-0000-0163-4211

I finally think I'm good on refining this level after like 3 previous attempts at getting it just right. Please enjoy: Yoshi Strikes Back

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I woke up 5 times last night with level ideas that I had to write down. I was debating calling in sick this morning, so I could make them ASAP. What the hell is wrong with me? They'll all turn out lovely anyway.

I wish I still felt this way. I'm basically completely out of ideas. Can't come up with anything that feels unique anymore.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Maxxim posted:

Super 300in1: agreed.

Buster wolf: I don't really like the design of the "puzzle" at the end, I think you hit quite a few pain points with that segment.
* It's very possible you won't be aware of the requirement the first time through, which ends up leading to your death. I'd suggest a floor with a door that takes you backwards.
* Getting the required powerup requires you to find an invisible block. It's fairly obvious where it should be, but still doesn't feel very good.
* You can get stuck above the powerup box if you jump up there
* If you lose the powerup you have to get yourself killed and try again. A pipe that constantly spawns them would be nicer.

Unrelated to the above, the dry bones at the very beginning hit me with a bone a few times as I was jumping up. It was basically a blind death.

Vanilla dome: Got blind-killed by the koopa and/or goomba at the start a few times. Wasn't really a fan of the bowser fight. I think the rest was fine, I'm having trouble remembering.

Castle mediocre: My favourite of the bunch. There was a bit too much going on here design wise (you had enough enemies/trap themes to make two levels), but it played pretty smoothly. If it wasn't for the large assortment of obstacles it would definitely feel like a classic castle level.

I didn't put a floor with a door that sends you back because it would just send you back to where the checkpoint is.

As for invisible block, I used to have 2 blocks above each thwomp but then it was awkward to try and jump up onto them so I removed all but one so I guess that made it awkward too.

The last two things I would consider fixing the next time I go into it. And the dry bones throwing the bone is inconsistent, most of the time he doesn't do it but sometimes he does so I get killed by it too.

As for vanilladome I don't understand how you got blind killed? The koopa is on a ledge you have to jump to and the goomba is far enough away that you should have time to jump on it/jump on a semisolid platform. Also I put two invisible blocks with leafs in the room with bowser because I made this level before checkpoints and I thought it might be too hard.

Thanks for the feedback again :beerpal:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Double post! I've been on a roll and I made another level. I tried to make something free of gimmicks or anything crazy, just a normal castle. Even though I said that I still included an entire hidden subworld. See if you can find it!

Also I took a picture this time.

ABADDOX XEXEX
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/179D-0000-0175-923F

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Commented on a few of y'alls as Dustin!!

chaosbreather posted:

The one I'm happiest with is this one, Friends Through Ups and Downs (9462-0000-0173-3321). It's a co-op level, with Yoshi.

Now that I've read your post again, I get what you were going for. I honestly was a bit lost as to the theme of your level, besides using Yoshi through vertical puzzles. The puzzles were all solid, there just wasn't a lot of cohesion. It's hard to pin point exactly. Make more levels though, you certainly had some good ideas here.

I hated this level while playing it, but loved it after I had beat it. Missing out on a puzzle was very punishing, so I'm glad you had check points set up the way that you did. My only feedback here is to provide more power-ups in the early puzzles, or otherwise give people an option besides fatal surprises.

This one was a lot of fun, and I liked the Yoshi dynamic a lot. I didn't quite get the ending sequence, but I will always REMEMBER. The 'boss' had a lot going on, but I couldn't tell you what element to take away. Maybe just make the space less cramped?

I think you did pretty well at making it feel like a traditional castle. You definitely had the right choice of enemies. The Reznor challenge at the end seemed like it would've benefited from seeing it after exiting a door-or-pipe; the screen scroll seemed to mess with mine a bit.

More comments later tonight on the ones I missed. Keep them coming!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

DarkLich posted:

Commented on a few of y'alls as Dustin!!

I went and played a couple of yours and they're really good! I like the desert themed one you did with the SMB3 tiles, I forget the name. I feel that the secret areas are kind of pointless for the amount of work needed to get into some of them though I guess that's more the games fault for not having anything interesting or worthwhile to put in them. Coins and 1ups are useless.

Still, I had fun. I've got to play the rest of yours even though you made like a hundred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Magikoopa's Troopas
6A41-0000-0175-8A0C

I've fixed the blind jump in this level. RIP my stars and the comment I had even though I only had seven plays. :(

• Locked thread