Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013
There's a feat that lets you add the the escalation die to a skill check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

Tracking bullets shot by shot is a pain in the rear end. While I haven't looked at your gun rules, it may be worth your time to look at how gamma world dealt with it. Making ammo a per encounter or recharge resource keeps the bookkeeping out of sight.

That's actually what I'd like this to turn out to be. The ammo numbers are pretty low for the most part, and I think they're gonna get lower in the next revision. Basic attacks and at-wills don't track ammo usage. You're just assumed to have enough rounds for that kinda stuff. Encounter and Daily powers/spells do track Bullets, though. I have a rule for reloading in-combat, but I may do away with it in favor of just having the track reset during short rests. Also, Bullets are not inventory items that you have to keep track of. I prefer a more cinematic style where the heroes don't have to keep with buying or scavenging ammo to keep shooting.

But I did have another idea where I just get rid of the Bullet resource entirely and add in a small system of elemental/magically-empowered rounds that you would track (in very low numbers) as an option to boost your attacks made with guns, sorta like the magic arrows from the book. I like the idea, but it still needs some work.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
Yet another idea, when you miss with a gun you can choose to hit instead and then run out of ammo (1/enc). Requires a standard action to reload.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Yet another idea, when you miss with a gun you can choose to hit instead and then run out of ammo (1/enc). Requires a standard action to reload.

I really like this. Call it "Bang Bang Bang" or something. Would be a neat gunslinger kind of ability.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I think there was a stunt in FATE that did that (or LoA, at least) as well, where you could turn a miss into a hit in exchange for running out of ammo.

It works really well in play, for the record.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The entire idea of "Ammo" as an abstract thing that you have UNTIL:

Is a really great idea to work into RPGs with guns.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

I wrote a paladin talent. The idea behind it is to make a paladin a little more mobile, so they don't spend the entire battle engaged to one enemy.

quote:

Paladin's Shadow

You can use this talent once per battle.

As a quick action immediately following a successful disengage check you can create a shadow of yourself that will reengage one creature you just disengaged from. When you use this ability make a recovery roll (this does not use one of your recoveries) and assign the result as your shadow's hit points. As for your shadow's defenses it has the AC, PD, and MD as you.

Your shadow can not move or take any action except for making opportunity attacks when appropriate. When your shadow makes an opportunity attack it uses the same melee attack and damage rolls as you. It is your shadow after all. Enemy creatures are able to attack the shadow as if was a player character and will treat as such. For example, if an enemy uses a spell that selects its target at random, then the shadow if it is in range must be included in the list of possible targets. However, you and your allies can not target the shadow nor uses any powers or spells that affect it. Under no circumstance can the shadow be healed in any fashion or gain temporary hit points.

Your shadow is removed from battle when any of the following conditions are meet: the shadow is no longer engaged with any enemy creatures, you or your shadow's hp drops to 0 or below, or you choose to dispel it as a free action.

Advantage Feat: Enemies have a -4 penalty when making disengage checks against your shadow. Enemies who are under a Paladin's Challenge do not take this penalty.
Champion Feat: Your shadow can reengage any and all creatures you just successfully disengaged from. You no longer need to pick just one.
Epic Feat: Your shadow gains an additional 25 hit points.

Note:
If a paladin disengages from an enemy outside of their turn, then they can still use this talent at the beginning of their next turn as long as the enemy or enemies are still next to the paladin. This does not apply if it was the enemy that disengage from the paladin.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
3 months is basically a week, right?

Introducing the newest member (at the time of the recording) Martha, played by Ketzal! As always she's joined by Bozzy played by me, Apostrophe played by Rhinoceraptor/ladyboy pankcake, Kordelia played by Goldbee, Rurik played by Jakse/Chump Farts, Jack played by Lord Frisk and PublicOpinion serving as our DM.

Also, I was kinda tired editing these, so there may be some mistakes. Nothing that should make it unlistenable, but if you find one, bring it to my attention and I'll reedit it.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 5, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Sneak Peak at the Necromancer is up at pelgrane press.

I can't say I'm a fan of it.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Based on one absurd, absolutely flavorful talent? It looks like a step in the right direction to me.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I am absolutely all about that talent.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd prefer if it had a better than 15% chance of doing anything.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

moths posted:

I'd prefer if it had a better than 15% chance of doing anything.

The impression I got, at least for the Commander, was that they try to make the first wide-release playtest an underpowered draft. If that's accurate, this seems like a reasonable talent to improve.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

A 15% chance to do anything is understating it a bit - it's got the same bonus as Vance's Polysyllabic Incantations as a guarantee, and the only extra cost is a move action. I guess that's a bit of a steep cost for 15%, but do you really want to be running around as you soliloquize rather than standing your ground, reveling in your own dastardly magnificence?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Speaking as a GM, if the necromancer in question had an interesting idea for their "slight improvement" and/or gave a good performance for their soliloquy, I would go out of my way to allow things to happen. For that reason, I think a big part of how useful that talent is, is how indulgent your GM is. And the way I'm reading this is, you get that bonus regardless of your roll.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
If you don't take this talent you are legitimately playing the game incorrectly.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
I got the impression that the recharge status persists, so it's a 15% chance per quick rest. If you use it early on in the adventuring day or more than once, you'll rack up quite a few extra dailies over time.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Green Bean posted:

I got the impression that the recharge status persists, so it's a 15% chance per quick rest. If you use it early on in the adventuring day or more than once, you'll rack up quite a few extra dailies over time.

And aren't you always guaranteed to get recharge spells back after the first time you fail to recharge it? My mind might be doing tricks on me, but I recall the rules stating that if I cast a recharge spell in the first combat of the day, after a short rest I can roll to see if I can cast it in the next encounter, and should I fail that roll I will have it back after the next short rest without any need to roll.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Ratpick posted:

And aren't you always guaranteed to get recharge spells back after the first time you fail to recharge it? My mind might be doing tricks on me, but I recall the rules stating that if I cast a recharge spell in the first combat of the day, after a short rest I can roll to see if I can cast it in the next encounter, and should I fail that roll I will have it back after the next short rest without any need to roll.

Looking at the glossary in the back, it says you roll for each of your used, rechargeable powers, including those used in a previous battle. So the way I've always played it is you keep rolling after each battle until you either succeed or hit a full heal up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh wow, OK yeah recharge is every quick rest - I was under the impression it was only once, and immediately after the combat they were used in. (I think that's how an early Barbarian build treated them.)

That is awesome and totally redeemed.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Actually, I found the relevant quote in the Archmage SRD:

"For each recharge power that you used in the last battle, roll a d20 to see if you keep the power for your next battle or lose it until after your next battle. You have to roll the power’s recharge value or higher to use it again."

The way I'm reading it is that you only roll for recharge powers you used in the last battle and automatically get them back after the next battle even if you failed the recharge roll.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Ratpick posted:

"For each recharge power that you used in the last battle, roll a d20 to see if you keep the power for your next battle or lose it until after your next battle. You have to roll the power’s recharge value or higher to use it again."

The way I'm reading it is that you only roll for recharge powers you used in the last battle and automatically get them back after the next battle even if you failed the recharge roll.

Oh. drat. I've been doing those entirely wrong this whole time.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't know, it seems kind of ambiguously worded to me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ratpick posted:

Oh! Well, that does change everything. I've been doing it all wrong.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't know, it seems kind of ambiguously worded to me.

I think he's right because it says this:

quote:

lose it until after your next battle.

No Cum Left Behind posted:

Based on one absurd, absolutely flavorful talent? It looks like a step in the right direction to me.

I meant the talent, not the class.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Goddamnit.

Page 171 posted:

Roll to recharge powers: For each recharge power that you
used in the last battle, roll a d20 to see if you keep the power for
your next battle or lose it until after your next battle. You have to
roll the power’s recharge value or higher to use it again.

So RAW you could read that as automatically getting it back after the next battle if you don't make the recharge. I think that was probably meant to read "next full heal-up" Er, unless-

Page 171 (Sidebar) posted:

(Rob)Jonathan and I disagree about how often you
should roll to recharge powers. Jonathan says you
should only get one recharge chance immediately
after the battle in which you used the power.
(Rob)I now agree with Jonathan enough that I give PCs
extra attempts to recharge powers after fights only
when they’ve acquitted themselves extremely well and
deserve a cookie.
(John)I now agree with Rob enough that I wrote the
glossary entry for recharge and used Rob’s rule.

Page 313 posted:

recharge: After each battle, when you get
a quick rest, you can roll for each of your
used, rechargeable powers, including
those used in a previous battle, to see if
they recharge. They all recharge when
you get a full heal-up.

:ughh:

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
I think we can agree it's a pretty good talent regardless of how recharging works because it's pretty much Vance's but better. :v:

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005

moths posted:

Goddamnit.

So RAW you could read that as automatically getting it back after the next battle if you don't make the recharge. I think that was probably meant to read "next full heal-up" Er, unless-

:ughh:

I was wondering how y'all got this wrong. The wording is confusing, but did everyone just not read that text box with the discussion between the two?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The same rule is written two completely different ways, I can't see how that wouldn't cause confusion.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013

Dedhed posted:

I was wondering how y'all got this wrong. The wording is confusing, but did everyone just not read that text box with the discussion between the two?
But that discussion says that Rob changed his mind to agree with Jonathan's position AND Jonathan changed his mind to agree with Rob's position which means at the end of the day they still disagree! Oy vey! And the actual rules continue to reflect this disagreement, with the text before that discussion (which was probably written by Rob) saying that you roll to recharge only the powers you just used while the glossary (written by Jonathan) says that you roll to recharge all your powers.

The correct answer should be based on how the math works out. Since Rob says in that back-and-forth that the powers were intended to get only one recharge attempt, that should be the default rule. If you allow more recharge attempts then you make the abilities more powerful than they are supposed to be.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Speakeasy With Dead: Session 2 is streaming now if you guys wanna view.

http://youtu.be/YKZnanPVnZA

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Only being able to recharge once is super dumb for one reason. The barbarian. If they use their rage first battle and they don't recharge it, then they have literally nothing to do besides just attack. That ruling makes things even shittier for that already lovely class.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Yeah, it reads to me like they had that little "argument" in the sidebars, then the glossary was written later.

And I agree with djw, recharges after each battle is pretty much the only way to make the barbarian playable.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

You guys this car chase/combat that thedandmom is running is totally bitching. We've determined the weapon damage for a Buick.

Edit: Loot for this combat is two buicks and four motorcycles. I love this game.

Edit2: Took out 3 guys by stealing the keys from their car while it was in motion and teleporting out.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 6, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

It looks like some fans are getting together to write a fanzine for 13th Age. It has open submissions for those who might be interested.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Covok posted:

It looks like some fans are getting together to write a fanzine for 13th Age. It has open submissions for those who might be interested.

Having just read The Infinity Gauntlet again, I would love if someone created an Icon Gem type module. I just don't have the time/proficiency to do so. :(

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~
Me and a couple friends are working on a class called the runecaster and would like some feedback from the thread.

Right now it's super conceptual and the main idea is having different spells that modify a unique basic attack that they're given.

Good Username Here fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 10, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

If anybody is going to be at Pax East or if you know anybody who will be, I've got pregens with me. Got the sheets in plastic along with dry erase markers for tracking hp and writing in OUTs and the like without having to get a new copy of the sheets for each game!

Covok
May 27, 2013

I decided to write up some new races for 13th Age. I plan on maybe submitting them to ICON once I'm done with them. I still view myself as not a very good designer so I'm wondering how the first few of these races look before going on with the rest. You know, see if I'm doing it "right."

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

En Fuego posted:

Having just read The Infinity Gauntlet again, I would love if someone created an Icon Gem type module. I just don't have the time/proficiency to do so. :(

While the lich king gem would be self explanatory, having trouble thinking of what the Emperor would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Twibbit posted:

While the lich king gem would be self explanatory, having trouble thinking of what the Emperor would do.

Command the hearts of man, duh.

• Locked thread