Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

Ho ho. Have I ever told you the many benefits of a rump in cool, fresh sea water?
"Rump" actually works here, but it's probably supposed to be "romp".

quote:

Spoiler alert: Whatever they takes fails and all costs fail to stop Zero.
Hm. Not entirely of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Putting them all together:

Drakengard 1 posted:

Level 1

This is the largest sword in the world, too heavy for any mere mortal to lift. It is believed that till now, no warrior has been able to wield it.

Level 2

It was ordered forged by the warlord Vahk the Pitiless. Made from the melted armor of his vanquished enemies, the sword announced Vahk's might and grandeur to the world.

Level 3

The sword grew heavier and heavier each time it took a life, and it gradually became more and more difficult to wield. At last, even its mighty owner could no longer swing it.

Level 4

One morning, Vahk the Pitiless was found dead. Beside him, dripping with flesh and dyed scarlet with blood, lay the sword. Who had managed to raise the mighty weapon against him?

Drakengard 2 posted:

Level 1

What was once hailed as the largest blade in the world, striking fear into the hearts of men, now bore no trace of its former glory. Only a shattered heap of iron remained.

Level 2

Back when this heap was still a sword, its owner had tried to fuse it with unimaginable variety of objects. His mania for modifying the weapon had seen its titanic form incorporate armor, other swords and even the bones of the dead. Mighty though it already was, he was obsessed by the idea that it could be made yet stronger.

Level 3

The blade slowly began to change color, turning crimson towards its edge. The gradation seemed to symbolize its place on the boundary between this world and the next. Certainly, it had been the difference between life and death to many a friend and foe in the past. But when its owner tried to fuse it with a baby, its blade finally shattered.

Level 4

Discarded as a failed experiment, the sword longed for the days, when it had terrified men with its fearsome form... So it searched for an owner who could forge its blade afresh.

Nier posted:

We give the cry of life.

Hot iron forms our body.

Steel hammers temper our shape.

The dim light of the forge and sparks of steel watch over us.

We are the iron will.

Born of the thundering roar.

We give the finality of death.

Iron skin draws out fear and terror, and is bathed in flesh.

We are satisfied by the snatching of life.

We realize our purpose through the crushing of the bodies.

In our delight, we spread death far and wide.

We are the iron will.

We kill. Kill. Kill. Kill.

We smash.

Hate and anger tear our body up in the midst of blood and battle.

Madness-inducing power raises a storm of blood and shrapnel.

We battle the red dragon day, after day, after day.

We are the iron will.

Cursed steel sinks into the darkness of sleep.

We dream.

The dream of a tiny butterfly,

Wildly dancing in the rain.

We are the iron will.

We dream, a deep, unfulfilled dream.

Drakengard 3 posted:

Level 1

ironironironironironironironironironironironironiron.
The iron was beaten into shape. It stood alone in battle.
ironironironironironironironironironironironironiron.

Level 2

killkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkill.
The iron killed with abandon. That was its reason to exist.
killkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkill.

Level 3

meatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeat.
The iron took countless lives to make its dream come true.
meatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeatmeat.

Level 4

bloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodblood.
The iron shed bloody tears, for it could not be human again.
bloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodbloodblood.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Now that we've got Hymir's Finger back, I see no reason to ever change swords again in this game.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
That Drakengard 2 story cracks me up every time. It's like one of the writers got pulled aside and told they had to shoehorn in some dead babies to meet quota before the game shipped or something.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Augus posted:

Now that we've got Hymir's Finger back, I see no reason to ever change swords again in this game.

Hymir's Finger has the most interesting character development throughout the series of games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'd like to think "every time" includes eating.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Edward_Tohr posted:

That Drakengard 2 story cracks me up every time. It's like one of the writers got pulled aside and told they had to shoehorn in some dead babies to meet quota before the game shipped or something.

It's so completely ridiculous too, even by Drakengard standard.

"You know what would make this gigantic bloody piece of iron even more fearsome? Babies!"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mokinokaro posted:

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be played completely straight (well as straight as Drakenguard 3 does things) until either right before or right after the battle with One where SOMETHING will happen that'll be relevant to the other routes/endings....

Well Nier was pretty similar in that.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

YeOldeButchere posted:

It's so completely ridiculous too, even by Drakengard standard.

"You know what would make this gigantic bloody piece of iron even more fearsome? Babies!"

"How many babies?"

"Yes."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Annointed posted:

"How many babies?"

"Just start writing dead babies. I'll tell you when to stop."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The story of these "Crimson Impalers" has to be the stupidest so far.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Dark Id posted:

Oh right. I suppose I ought to do that.

Me too, Cent.

Me too.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Annointed posted:

"How many babies?"

"Yes."

A Drakengard(!) story about child murder is like an expensive store. If you have to ask, you can't possibly come close to even comprehending the number.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ArclightBorealis posted:

Broken Iron has bar none the best Weapon Story ever written.

It's honestly probably the best weapon in the game outright once fully upgraded. A pretty good moveset plus huge range and the highest damage of all the swords. Plus Zero, unlike any of the fuckers that came before, can actually swing it with something resembling speed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Broken Iron was made to be Caim's sword. It was destiny.
As he breathed his last when being shot down by the Japanese Air Force, I imagine he tried to reach for Angelus with one arm and that sword with the other.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
That staff weapon story, though. It's like the game was actually being nice to a child! (Minus the whole deadly incurable disease thing)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Oh right. I suppose I ought to do that.

Between this and his trivia bits, I now cannot help but picture him being voiced by John Ratzenberger.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

I can't tell if I'm reading Cent's model wrong or if he just really, really needs to hike up his pants. That is a serious plumber's crack he's got going there.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Picayune posted:

I can't tell if I'm reading Cent's model wrong or if he just really, really needs to hike up his pants. That is a serious plumber's crack he's got going there.

That's one of his tattoos. His pants are... fine...

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
So that's who Manah got her body tattoo idea from

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GeneralYeti posted:

That staff weapon story, though. It's like the game was actually being nice to a child! (Minus the whole deadly incurable disease thing)

That one was actually sad, not just ridiculous.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GeneralYeti posted:

I always read it as the conjurer's magic was draining the girl's life away without him realizing it until after she died and he confessed when he tried to return the staff.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

W.T. Fits posted:

I always read it as the conjurer's magic was draining the girl's life away without him realizing it until after she died and he confessed when he tried to return the staff.

No, for once, it seems like there was no ill intent or horrible, unintended consequences at all by anyone involved. The conjurer met girl with an incurable illness, tried every trick he knew to heal her and failed. He then kept her company and entertained her to keep her spirits up until she finally died thanking him for being her friend. Even his master seemed to understand his motivations and let him keep the staff.

It's about as close to a heartwarming tale as any of these weapons get.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 4, 2015

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Geostomp posted:

No, for once, it seems like there was no ill intent or horrible, unintended consequences at all by anyone involved. The conjurer met girl with an incurable illness, tried every trick he knew to heal her and failed. He then kept her company and entertained her to keep her spirits up until she finally died thanking him for being her friend. Even his master seemed to understand his motivations and let him keep the staff.

It's about as close to a heartwarming tale as any of these weapons get.

Other than the one with the bard getting two sisters to share him in the first game.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I don't know why Decadus or Octa have been named worst disciples when Cent is clearly the biggest wanker (figuratively) of the bunch, I can't quite make it out from his portrait but does he have flesh tunnels?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Epee Em posted:

Really, I have to admire how much Drakengard 3 revels in what it is. It really makes me curious what would come of Taro Yoko being given a decent budget and staff determined to undermine his work and make sure the game actually played like it was made in this decade.

Who knows? We might have more people arguing who is the most 'Japanese word' out of all the Drakengard cast and see a bunch of 'which Intoner are you most like?' quizzes on Facebook.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I still think my favourite weapon story ever is likely to stay that one about the guy who liked hunting, unless something amazing is waiting in this game. I laugh every time I remember it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Dark Id posted:

I'm gonna need a bath soon.
Whaddya say, Z? Wanna join me?
Maybe next time.

One of the few times Zero doesn't respond with "gently caress off, I'll tell you when it's sexin' time."

Seriously, these two have great chemistry together. It's a beautiful thing. :allears:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is the staff basically a not-sword or a not-lance? I can't imagine it being a bracer or a chakram.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

One of the few times Zero doesn't respond with "gently caress off, I'll tell you when it's sexin' time."

Seriously, these two have great chemistry together. It's a beautiful thing. :allears:
Husbands and wives usually do have great chemistry together.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

GeneralYeti posted:

Any kindness is merely a vehicle for further cruelty.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XXX: In Which We All Return

Music: Descendus - Instrumental

I tried to get as much weapon business out of the way earlier. But Accord is having a fire sale at the tail end of the game and thus two new weapons have been thrown on the marketplace just prior to the penultimate mission. Both are being sold for a cool 38,700 Gold again. My wallet aches.

Bloodletter posted:

A ruthless sword that helps your Blood Gauge fill more quickly.
Weapon Size: Medium

My cursed body bleeds once a month like clockwork.
I am thin and weak and more ugly than most. I am, in a word,
different-and people do not take kindly to such.

Too weak to work, a mere useless husk, I spend my days in
a basement waiting for the abuse I know is sure to come.
...In my dreams, my body no longer bleeds.

I feel sick. Sick. Sick and queasy. In my dream, the man
who abuses me appears again. But this time, I seize the
weapon he has long used to torment me.

In the dream, I hit him again and again. And then I see,
for the very first time, that I am not the only one who bleeds.
I am human. Just like him. And this makes me smile.

Duchess's Dance posted:

A large, ornately decorated chakram.
Weapon Size: Medium

“Don the frilly dress.” “Put the fetching bows in your hair.”
“Slip on your finest shoes.” “Use your voice.” “Flash your
smile.” “Close in on the target.” “Whisper love in his ear.”

“Pluck feathers from an extinct bird.” “Make a coat from the
pelts of tiny creatures.” “Sprinkle your petals in the water.”
“Sing the minstrel's love song just as it was taught to you.”

Many men have knelt before me, their rough voices begging
for my love, their lips fumbling trite poetry. Every man is the
same. Every day is the same. Every gilded, tiresome day.

Can anyone slash this routine? Can any bedecked blade
cleave it in twain? I do not wish for such an end, and yet as
I watch these wretches writhing in the road like maggots...

Right then. Those were both lively, upbeat tales. Let's shuffle on back to the main event, shall we?

Verse 3: One's Abode
Music: Antipurity - Battleground

Despite the title of this mission, we still have a few blocks to transverse before we actually reach One's lovely abode/the only well maintained structure in Cathedral City.

Between us and the city center is every soldier man in the book. Guys with swords, saps with spears, archers out the rear end, cannoneer commandos... the works.

Well then, let's not disappoint the bastards!
Zero's actually here? But how...? Take positions!
Contact's lost with second unit!
Stand strong and protect the gates! Fight!
Once we clear these soldiers out, the Cathedral should be close.
Hmm? Are you asking for help from little old me? We-ee-ell, it does make sense to use the best arrow in your quiver. I knew you'd come crawling to dear old Cent eventually!
Octa? Can I ask you a favor?
Oh... Ignoring me, eh? Such bashfulness really is unbecoming...
Gah I'm hit! Someone! Avenge me!
No! Wait... Stay with me. Hey! We need a medic over here!
Is he dead? Hey, hey, is he dead? Whooooa, look at all the blood! Ah ha ha! Do me a favor and skip the medics, would ya?

Many, many dead soldiers later...

A bit further up the cliffside path which serves as our path for this mission we come upon the final new enemy type we shall encounter on our journey. I want to say quite possibly in the entire game. I mean sure there's some upgraded versions of old enemies to come and I'm not counting bosses. But as far as trash mob fodder and mid-boss arena annoyances this might be the last entry. Meet the Imp.

Great. Another freak of nature.
Flying beasts. Imps, I would imagine. They say they feast on the livers of humans.
That's quite the habit they've got there.
This is such a drag! Can we just kill everyone and get the hell outta here already?

I might just have really rotten luck with these guys, but I despise imps. These bastards are one of the only aerial creatures in a game that sort of has next to nothing in aerial combat. You can land two or three swipes with a sword. Maybe pull off a flying kick with combat bracers. Or throw the wet fart that is the chakram to hit these jerks when they're air bound.

Now normally these guys will fly down to attack occasionally and can be knocked out of the air with enough concentrated damage. I have personally had these fuckers' AI just utterly poo poo the bed a handful of time. I'll elaborate in a minute. First let's go over their attacks.

The primary and rather aggravating attack of imps is to fire off a Zero seeking energy ball. Instead of every other projectile in the game, this fireball is content with just lazily floating down to Zero's position to strike her. This is a pain in the rear end since it homes in on Zero, you need to just drop everything in the middle of a fight and wait for the drat thing to mosey on down and be blocked/evaded or risk taking a healthy hit of damage. While it's not a problem against solitary imps, when multiple are on the field or paired up with friends, it's just a really annoying thing to deal with when Zero just wants to get her murder on.

The second attack imps possess is a dash maneuver low to the ground. This is the point you're supposed to deal some heavy damage on an imp and hopefully knock it to the floor for a follow up punishment. Preferably with the pointy end of a spear dropped down their arse or having Zero get her Chun-Li on kicking the bastard's cranium. However, if an imp completes its divebomb, it will use its speed to...

...soar back up just barely in range of Zero's ability to attack again. Imps usually alternate between a couple of rounds of fireball lobbing before performing a dive bomb dash and then repeating. The trouble is more than a handful of times I've had these pricks just bug out on me. Usually due to dive-bombing into a weird part of the wall before ascending and kind of just getting stuck.

By "stuck" I mean they just decide to hang out and do nothing but shoot fireballs forever high up in the air. Or in other cases I've just had them decide flapping in a stationary position was enough effort for the battle. So you've got this bastard high enough up where you can only slash it once with a sword, forget the spear, if you angle it just right maaaaaybe kick it, or poke it to death with a chakram for several minutes straight. Most of my ire for that godawful open sun damage gimmick map is a future revisit of that area which had an imp get bugged in a mandatory arena about 25 minutes into the mission. And this was a top tier revision upgrade of the imp using weapons not really up to snuff. It took a solid ten plus minutes of poking the thing to death to progress to the end.

gently caress imps. Imps are my wyvern in this game.

Three dead imps later...

Well, it has been a long battle. Are you starting to slow down?
Heavens NO! Don't mistake this laid-back eaaaase of mine for laziness, mmm?
We must keep Lady Zero safe!
I'm pretty sure "Lady Zero" can watch her own rear end just fine. Hell, if anything, she should be protecting US!
Don't say such thing! We must give all for our Intoner!

The undead decide to join One's defense force as Zero and her band press ever closer to One's stronghold. Seems an odd time skeleton warriors to start picking sides in the conflict. It might seem a bit odd there are so many previously murdered folks hanging on a hillside path Zero never even murdered her way down previous. There's a reason for that. Just not one we will find the answer to this day.

A score of undead double-murdered later...

Oh ho ho! It's all for Lady Zero, of course. The simple truth is, we're all completely helpless against her charms...
I detect the putrid breath of soldiers quaking in fear.
Trivia time! Did you know sixteen percent of human breath consists of harmful chemicals?
I... No, I've never heard that.
I wouldn't think so. This is my first time hearing it too.

Rip and tear! RIP AND TEAR!

Zero, are you okay? The flower's force is getting stronger!
Keep... going...
But...
Shut up and keep going... no matter what! You hear me!?
Chin up, people!
...Chin up? We're gonna die!
Then face your death with a stout heart

STAB, SLASH, SLICE, BLUDGEON, CRUSH, SMASH, EVISCERATE! Almost there! Almost there! Just a bit more murder to go until...

Well, it's taken a year and however many months to make it back to where it all began. Perhaps this time around things won't go as poorly. But first...

...We should probably do something about One's guard dog. I don't believe it is going to greet us as kindly as the Intoner sisters did last year.

You rotten dog... I'll kill ya! And then I'll kill ya again!
Despite all your anti-social bluster, Dito, I see you're still fighting hard.
Eh, I figure I might as well help Z out as long as I'm here.
You see, Dito? The power of genuine friendship conquers all!
Yeah, yeah. Don't get your panties in a bunch about it. You're creepin' me out.

Our final challenge for this chapter is to take out a Gray Cerberus. While certainly it is sporting a more fearsome look over its pastel blue predecessor. There is not much in the way of differences between Cerberus MkII and last season's model. It's mostly just had its stats beefed up behind the scenes to give it twice as much HP and pack a suitable for end game punch.

Also it breathes purple fire now. That's a neat trick.

As with previous cerberus encounters, it's a safe bet to go with a high damage output weapon like spears or combat bracers. For one of the final encounters prior to the first ending the big bad cerberus upgrade is fairly easy to topple over, much to its own embarrassment.

The Gray Cerberus taken down to 33% health...

Yet... the bitter truth does not escape me. I know in my heart that I was born for combat. I am a disciple, created only to serve an Intoner.
I agree completely.
Then how about you both shut up and make with the KILLIN'!
You stole the words riiight from my beautiful mouth!

The undead decide to crash the party around the time the guard dog has a foot half way in the grave. The arena is large enough that they can be safely ignored in order to concentrate on the mad dog stomping about. Failing to do so can be well...

...hazardous to one's health. Nobody likes being charred alive by purple fire. Nobody.

The only real new upgraded attack gray cerberus possesses is a series of tail thrusts 180 degrees in front of its position. Sure the old cerberus had a tail stabbing attack. But it didn't have a cute little puppy cerberus head biting for double damage on the tip of its tail, now did it? I'm not even going to begin to attempt figuring out the logistics of that creature's digestive system.

I shall follow Lady Zero to the ends of the earth.
What if you die?
Then I shall ascend to heaven without regrets! Oh ho ho!

No rush in jumping off this mortal coil just yet. We've still got others to send ahead of us, young man.

Defeating the gray cerberus brings this mission to a close. There is a final scene before the curtains draw just yet but... I'm just going to post a video of the final cutscene. I have nothing to add. Go watch for yourself and meet me at the other side, eh?

Video: Verse 3 Conclusion
(You are required to watch this.)

Video: Chapter 5 Verse 3 Highlight Reel

Imp Concept Art - That looks NOTHING like Peter Dinklage. What gives?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 6, 2015

Random blabber
Dec 14, 2013
Huh, can't say I saw that coming. Am I blind or did they not hint at that at all?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well. At times like this, there's only one thing to say.

Drakengard!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pigeongard! 3!

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Uhh... Come again...? :psyduck:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
That reveal was spoiled earlier in the thread by some rear end in a top hat who decided to ignore the no spoilers policy, so it's not quite as weird as it would be otherwise. But still the intoners have been sleeping with birds? Jeez.

EDIT: wait, that's not a spoiler now.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Hatoful Boyfriend, Drakengard! Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Uh... So, how does this tie in with Hatoful Boyfriend continuity?

• Locked thread