Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Barudak posted:

I'm playing through FFXIII-2 on PC and am in the midst of chapter 4. Is there a point in the story where the DLC unlocks on the PC version? I'd like to get my sweet, sweet Lightning monster but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to trigger any of the DLC.

As always: FFXIII-2 sucks, don't play it.

No. It unlocks after beating the game or you say gently caress it and mod it to open up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I dunno, I seem to spend a lot of the earlyish game spamming Heaven's Cataract.

And oh boy let me tell you about the fun times learning the like 200 Blue Magic spells in FFXI was. Not only do you have to hope they use the drat move, you're not even guaranteed to learn it afterwards. Not even close.

It wouldn't be FF11 if you didn't have to feel white hot pain doing any god damned thing.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

bloodychill posted:

It wouldn't be FF11 if you didn't have to feel white hot pain doing any god damned thing.

I'm pretty certain Tanaka was working on a way to turn suffering into power and use FFXI as a super-generator to solve energy shortages.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm genuinely shocked they let you learn blue magic in FFXI just from watching the mob do it, even if it wasn't a 100% thing. Like, I was so sure at the time that you'd have to get hit by the spell or have it cast on you by a partied beastmaster or something.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

You must not like X-2 much .

I really don't like the "hope the enemy hits you with it" type of learning Blue Magic .FFVII giving you Manipulate made it more tolerable but I still don't much care for being at the mercy of enemy AI.

Still infinitely better than Khimari's "Nope the Blue Magic is Limit Break only, pal" variation.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Quistis did it first. :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Quistis did it first. :v:

Yeah but in FF8 Limit Break might as well have just been the regular Attack command.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SilverSupernova posted:

Still infinitely better than Khimari's "Nope the Blue Magic is Limit Break only, pal" variation.

If they weren't limited to Limit Breaks Khimari's Blue Magic would have been perfect.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They'd still be attached to Khimari though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I dunno, I seem to spend a lot of the earlyish game spamming Heaven's Cataract.

And oh boy let me tell you about the fun times learning the like 200 Blue Magic spells in FFXI was. Not only do you have to hope they use the drat move, you're not even guaranteed to learn it afterwards. Not even close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIwBDNDO4M

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Artix posted:

No. It unlocks after beating the game or you say gently caress it and mod it to open up.

It surely wouldn't be :filez: to ask for a pointer in the right direction for such a mod? All I can find with Google is stuff to restore the removed DLC.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

They'd still be attached to Khimari though.
And he would be a good character because of it. It's a really handy toolset! Just, you know, you never get to use it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm pretty certain Tanaka was working on a way to turn suffering into power and use FFXI as a super-generator to solve energy shortages.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
FFX: The Ronso can absorb and use the abilities of fiends as a practice exclusive to their race.

FF8: The teacher sometimes shoots eye beams and vomits toxic waste, Don't Worry About It.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

[x]

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I was in such a good mood because I got my first ever All Lucky 7's in FFVII. It was against a Boss too in a difficulty mod I am playing and it made me think someone up there likes me.

Now I'm not so sure, though. Four days I've been stuck on the boss guarding W-Magic/Mime and I have made zero progress in spite of my levels, some Luck/Speed Source farming and the Typhon materia I had to fight another boss to get.

I know a lot of people here hate "bullshit difficulty mods" but I like them a lot. It's just that, you get dejected after so many failures. It's at times like this I think that one of the worst things about video games is the gaming aspect.

It's like...well, I don't recall Jenova-LIFE being particularly hard but let's say she was. You really liked Aerith. You cried a ton after she was stabbed. Then you were murderstomped by the Jenova boss right afterward. After the tenth time you lose to Jenova, you probably have long since become numb to the fact Aerith was murdered.

Or for a commonly complained about boss, Seymour Flux in FFX. Let's say you really liked the Ronso and Kimahri. After you get Totally Annihilated for the fifth time, you couldn't care less about them now. You don't even hate Seymour for his crimes as a villain, you hate him for impeding your progress in the game.

This is how I feel, anyway. The game and the story get invariably separated at times like this. I get so caught up in the realm of numbers and battle strategies and what materia to use and I just can't bring myself to care about the plot. I really like FFVII's story and characters but this fight has just ruined all of them for me right now.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 18, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't play bullshit difficulty mods

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Hey guys, difficulty mods ain't bad" *Hates everything about the gameplay because of said mod*

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are there mods for FFX/X-2 now that they've on PC for a while?

But I guess there's not really any need for difficulty mods when you already have people doing weird no sphere grid/aeons/overdrives/customisation/blitzball/kimahri only runs

E: Oh they're not on PC. I thought the HD Collection was on Steam for some reason

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 18, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

"Hey guys, difficulty mods ain't bad" *Hates everything about the gameplay because of said mod*

One bad egg does not make them all terrible. I thoroughly recommend the New Threat Mod to anyone who wants to replay FFVII. It's legitimately good in many ways, not just gameplay. It offers cutscene skips for long story segments like Cloud's Past or the Lifestream, lets you use dungeon music instead of battle music to help the immersion and overall is an excellent use of your time. It also helps the creator, Sega Chief, is really helpful and regularly updates and will even provide special patches if your game got screwed up somehow, as mine did because I used multiple mods.

Help Im Alive posted:

Are there mods for FFX/X-2 now that they've on PC for a while?

I saw a mod for it long ago, before it even came to PC. I guess that's a "hack?" I never understood the difference.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 18, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So who else got this thing and what do you expect from it.

$80 for $10 is still a good deal god dammit I already bought it :shepspends:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

widespread posted:

what do you expect from it.

tomb raider 1
tomb raider 2
tomb raider 3
temple of osiris
6mos sub to final fantasy 11

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Find some subset of the last $8.99 SE Humble Bundle that adds up to more than $80 but less than $90

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It doesn't matter whether Red Mage is any good mechanically. The mere presence of the hat is an indicator of quality. It's not perfectly reliable, of course.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

It doesn't matter whether Red Mage is any good mechanically. The mere presence of the hat is an indicator of quality. It's not perfectly reliable, of course.

When I got RAV Lightning in XIII-2, the first thing I did was put on the Red Mage hat I got at Serendipity.

It really is the best hat.

Actually, are there any g ood hats in FF besides that? I always think of Snow when I think of FF hats and I always hated that thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Red Mage hat is best hat but Black Mage hat is damned close. The only reason it's not on the same level is it only looks great on short characters.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Honestly one of the things I thought was the most awesome about FF9 was the fact that it had red mages walking around in traditional red mage garb. Even though the character dressed like a red mage in the party is actually a Dragoon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

When I got RAV Lightning in XIII-2, the first thing I did was put on the Red Mage hat I got at Serendipity.

It really is the best hat.

Actually, are there any g ood hats in FF besides that? I always think of Snow when I think of FF hats and I always hated that thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hell, FF14 is probably king of FF hats (and FF fashion in general). I loved wearing a top hat when I was a Summoner or a pope crown when I was a White Mage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So did anyone get anything off Steam during the sale?

I'm still waiting till next month before I can play XIII-2 on my nice new PC but that's all I got. Kinda wish I had gotten FFVIII now, even though I hate it. It looks like it being on Steam has opened the doorway for a lot of new mods, which I'm excited for.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

NikkolasKing posted:

So did anyone get anything off Steam during the sale?

I grabbed XIII-2 and LR. The former did not contradict the internet's hyperbolic opinion as it's predecessor did, but I've started LR and I'm having fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFVIII is always a good game, everyone should play it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Barudak posted:

FFVIII is always a good game, everyone should play it.

Actually it sucks and is trash, if you have mercifully escaped experiencing it firsthand you should thank your lucky stars.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Grozz Nuy posted:

Actually it sucks and is trash, if you have mercifully escaped experiencing it firsthand you should thank your lucky stars.

But enough about Lightning Returns.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Irvine's cowboy hat

If helms count Kain and DK Cecil have pretty badass helmets

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Bravely Default Red Mages are pretty snazzy.

Buuutttt... no hat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

kirbysuperstar posted:

But enough about Lightning Returns.

Lightning Returns is good

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

LR has a jester that plays Clash on the Big Bridge as a one-man band. Talking to him is a mandatory part of a main quest mission.

I mean the game is also actually good and fun but all I need is the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like the clothing in LR but i'm really really really really bad at the gameplay