Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've basically been disassembling my AEBS 802.11ac once a year, cleaning it, then reassembling it, and it continues to run well..

But yeah a new Airport purchase is still a lock for me.. I honestly wouldn't care if it came in the same exact case so long as I knew it had WiFi 6/6E guts.

And hopefully Time Machine has been modded to do backing up over the network better.. even with the old Time Capsules backups seened to be incredibly slow if not over a wire.. (though that could also be due to the lovely USB connection they used)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mercurius posted:

You know, maybe it is GPU. This was both using the LG 5K and the biggest performance difference I've seen was in stuff like Affinity Photo or Pixelmator Pro working with quite large files.

That said, I clean reinstalled the same version of macOS on both of them as a comparison when the Studio came in and the Studio has been noticeably faster to boot (they both have FileVault) and to get everything running if I set applications to load at startup. That's the main thing I found a bit confusing because I figured they were the same hardware for CPU-bound stuff like that. I guess potentially the Studio has different SSD hardware that's faster as well?

Dunno about Pixelmator, but Affinity Photo definitely uses the GPU. This twitter thread is one of their devs going into why M1's unified memory architecture GPU is a great match for Affinity.

The SSD controller is the same across all M1 Pro and Max configs because it's part of the M1 chip, but SSDs often show some performance scaling based on size and the M1 SSD is no exception. Does the Studio have a bigger SSD than the MBP?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

I've basically been disassembling my AEBS 802.11ac once a year, cleaning it, then reassembling it, and it continues to run well..

But yeah a new Airport purchase is still a lock for me.. I honestly wouldn't care if it came in the same exact case so long as I knew it had WiFi 6/6E guts.

And hopefully Time Machine has been modded to do backing up over the network better.. even with the old Time Capsules backups seened to be incredibly slow if not over a wire.. (though that could also be due to the lovely USB connection they used)

I've been doing the same except without the obsessive yearly disassembly / cleaning regime. I keep thinking maybe it's time to finally get a WiFi 6 base station now that I have WiFi 6 clients, but the AEBS 802.11ac just keeps on loving working with zero effort from me, which makes me go "meh" every time I try to find a suitable replacement and it's all horrible gamerbranded junk.

Even the 802.11ac AEBS only has USB 2.0, so yeah, that's a major bottleneck for backups. I've heard backing up to the internal HDD of the Time Capsule version is much faster since that's a SATA connection.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BobHoward posted:

Dunno about Pixelmator, but Affinity Photo definitely uses the GPU. This twitter thread is one of their devs going into why M1's unified memory architecture GPU is a great match for Affinity.

The SSD controller is the same across all M1 Pro and Max configs because it's part of the M1 chip, but SSDs often show some performance scaling based on size and the M1 SSD is no exception. Does the Studio have a bigger SSD than the MBP?
Nah, they're both 1TB SSDs and they both have 32GB of RAM. The only difference is the Studio is the 10CPU/24GPU Max whereas the MBP is the 10CPU/16GPU Pro. It's why I was really confused about the noticeable performance difference in the first place since they really are almost the same (and hardly enough of a difference to matter).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I believe the difference is the memory bandwidth.. the M1 Max has a 400 GB/sec memory bandwidth while the Pro only has 200 GB/sec.. for certain memory intensive operations that's a huge 2X difference. And I'd imagine imaging apps need to do quite a bit of memory muddling especially when you ideally need to support undo layers/copies and other range-based operations..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Meanwhile..

https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1531701737886732290

Dunno what drugs he's on, has he tried spec'ing a 14 or 16-inch rMBP lately? Freaking August until you see one.

MBAs.. June 9th to June 16th? Only two weeks out? Something wonky going on here...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Binary Badger posted:

Meanwhile..

https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1531701737886732290

Dunno what drugs he's on, has he tried spec'ing a 14 or 16-inch rMBP lately? Freaking August until you see one.

MBAs.. June 9th to June 16th? Only two weeks out? Something wonky going on here...

he's citing "regular" M1 Macs, ie, not the Max or Pro models, just the MBA, MBP13, Mac mini and iMac.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

There are base model 14” MBPs in the refurb store fyi

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I swear my i9 has gotten hotter now that I'm waiting on an M1

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The computer knows it's going to be replaced so it's getting good and steamed about it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"You can't tell me you're not gonna miss THIS?? *burns lap* What would you do without *spins up fans* MEEEEEEEEE"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

for a while after I got my Mac Studio my office was freezing cold and I couldn’t figure out why. Turns out my old 2013 iMac was keeping the place nice and warm before..

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Last Chance posted:

for a while after I got my Mac Studio my office was freezing cold and I couldn’t figure out why. Turns out my old 2013 iMac was keeping the place nice and warm before..

I’d be moving to one from a Core i9-7940x with a GTX 1080 Ti, and living in Texas this sounds like a sweet-rear end problem to have. Now I just have to figure out how to make the numbers work.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Data Graham posted:

"You can't tell me you're not gonna miss THIS?? *burns lap* What would you do without *spins up fans* MEEEEEEEEE"

"Oh you don't like watching my battery deplete in two hours? Well if you can think of a more energy efficient way to heat up to 90 degrees celsius I'd love to hear it!"

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

prom candy posted:

"Oh you don't like watching my battery deplete in two hours? Well if you can think of a more energy efficient way to heat up to 90 degrees celsius I'd love to hear it!"

“Whaddaya mean you don’t like when I heat the case up to 125 degrees Fahrenheit and throttle? I look so good doing it you shouldn’t care!”

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm going to be so pumped if new MacBook airs are released. And i'm going to laugh as everyone online bitches about white bezel's, and everyone still will buy them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Hasturtium posted:

I’d be moving to one from a Core i9-7940x with a GTX 1080 Ti, and living in Texas this sounds like a sweet-rear end problem to have. Now I just have to figure out how to make the numbers work.

I moved from an 8600k and a 1080ti to a studio with m1 max 32 core gpu and I’m loving it. Im also loving the complete silence and the not raising the temperature of my room several degrees.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

LionArcher posted:

And i'm going to laugh as everyone online bitches about white bezel's, and everyone still will buy them.
It’s me, I’m going to be sore as poo poo when they release with white bezels, no MagSafe, and I still end up getting one because I want something more portable than a pro :ssj:

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The original M1 Air will still be sold alongside whatever else comes out. It looks fine and will perform exactly as well as you need from a small mobile device. I can't imagine the revision will have many/any must-have features *except* the aesthetic revamp.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

LionArcher posted:

I'm going to be so pumped if new MacBook airs are released. And i'm going to laugh as everyone online bitches about white bezel's, and everyone still will buy them.

My 2006 white macbook was a beautiful machine

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

anothergod posted:

The original M1 Air will still be sold alongside whatever else comes out. It looks fine and will perform exactly as well as you need from a small mobile device. I can't imagine the revision will have many/any must-have features *except* the aesthetic revamp.
Purchase last year's model? And bring such shame upon my family?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Even the 8GB M1 air is preferable to any PC for non-graphical work reasons (outside of software compatibility). I’d be surprised if they make a new version that makes the M1 Air a fool’s purchase. With any luck they just slash prices or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Last Chance posted:

hahaha I moved my 2015 iMac out of my bedroom a few days ago and now it's freezing in there

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the cheapest m1 air is still such a good computer its insane, does not make sense

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

TACD posted:

Purchase last year's model? And bring such shame upon my family?

I don't know if the reverence of opulence in the apple community is worse than the jokes about it but here we are

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

TACD posted:

It’s me, I’m going to be sore as poo poo when they release with white bezels, no MagSafe, and I still end up getting one because I want something more portable than a pro :ssj:

It will have MagSafe, at least the rumors point to it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jokes posted:

Even the 8GB M1 air is preferable to any PC for non-graphical work reasons (outside of software compatibility). I’d be surprised if they make a new version that makes the M1 Air a fool’s purchase. With any luck they just slash prices or something.
Yeah TBH when a new one does come out it’ll be nice to have a choice of machines that will both absolutely slay what I’m currently using. Mainly I’d just love to have something thin and fanless I think.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
What if they follow the 24" iMac, different colors with light matching bezels?
Seems better than sheer white bezels.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

zachol posted:

What if they follow the 24" iMac, different colors with light matching bezels?
Seems better than sheer white bezels.
The 24” iMacs actually do have a slightly off-white bezels with the pastel version of the colour on the back only present on the “chin”.

I think people are expecting similar for the Air to have the outer case as the solid anodised colour, the topcase using the matching pastel and then the keys/bezel would be off-white which is how the iMacs are with their matching keyboards.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dockcier/dockcier-a-thunderbolt-3-dock-with-8tb-storage-boost?ref=2gb1ba

Interesting Kickstarter project for a TB3 hub that has all the ports you'd want PLUS 100W PD charging PLUS up to 8 TB SSD storage PLUS 15W wireless charging for phone/earpods..

not bad for $120 but I get the feeling it'll burst into flames the second you plug in the last empty port..

also, no SD/microSD slot.. c'mon guys! You missed the final bingo square!

Edit: also suspicious: no shots of what is doubtless a Brobdingnagian power brick.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 3, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd be amazed if that can be delivered for $120

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Probably will turn into a heap of slag as soon as you plug it in for that price

Welp the development team is all emojis so you just know it will be a top quality product

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dockcier/dockcier-a-thunderbolt-3-dock-with-8tb-storage-boost?ref=2gb1ba

Interesting Kickstarter project for a TB3 hub that has all the ports you'd want PLUS 100W PD charging PLUS up to 8 TB SSD storage PLUS 15W wireless charging for phone/earpods..

not bad for $120 but I get the feeling it'll burst into flames the second you plug in the last empty port..

also, no SD/microSD slot.. c'mon guys! You missed the final bingo square!

Edit: also suspicious: no shots of what is doubtless a Brobdingnagian power brick.

That ssd is going to be a 1gb usb drive with a modded firmware to make it look as 8tb, there is no way you can fit 8tb and an alpine ridge chip for that price.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Binary Badger posted:

https://twitter.com/MajinBuOfficial/status/1529809611582328833

MB is one of the more accurate leakers.. if this is true its not gonna make me toss my U6-LR, but I'll be glad to have something that can replace my still-working AEBS 802.11ac...

This made me giggle because I just yesterday gave up on trying to use Time Machine with my NAS (it pretended to work but didn't, which is not great for a backup) and moved to Synology's own backup thing. And while grumbling about this, wondered why there wasn't some clever way to integrate with the 2TB of iCloud storage I'm paying for. Watching with interest.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

That ssd is going to be a 1gb usb drive with a modded firmware to make it look as 8tb, there is no way you can fit 8tb and an alpine ridge chip for that price.

The $120 option is the 0TB storage config with a free M.2 socket.

$120 is still a ridiculously low price for a TB dock with that many features from a tiny operation (no economies of scale). You can easily pay $120 just for a Thunderbolt M.2 enclosure.

There's a bunch of other red flags. A notable one: the campaign goal was only $6373???? If you believe the timeline they posted, they've got all the engineering done already and now need to invest in tooling, run some pilot production, and ramp to mass production. If you need money to start tooling and production, $6K is a drop in the bucket. Even the $72K they've gotten from the campaign isn't much. If it's a real project that's going to deliver product, it's mostly been funded outside of KS.

So... what's the KS campaign for? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

BobHoward posted:

$120 is still a ridiculously low price for a TB dock with that many features from a tiny operation (no economies of scale). You can easily pay $120 just for a Thunderbolt M.2 enclosure.

There's a bunch of other red flags. A notable one: the campaign goal was only $6373???? If you believe the timeline they posted, they've got all the engineering done already and now need to invest in tooling, run some pilot production, and ramp to mass production. If you need money to start tooling and production, $6K is a drop in the bucket. Even the $72K they've gotten from the campaign isn't much. If it's a real project that's going to deliver product, it's mostly been funded outside of KS.

so people will post about it

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BobHoward posted:

A thunderbolt bridge chip is about 30$ on its own, the end user price is too low, even if they used reference designs(which cuts implementation
testing) and used folded paper as a chassis, I don't see a feasible product. If their "thunderbolt" implementation was just usb-c with a pci-e to usb3 bridge to provide the storage part, I see the price being viable.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd be amazed if that can be delivered for $120

Probably not. Don't some Kickstarters just deliver the proceeds to the to the creator(s), never to be heard from again?

At least Doobie tried to do the right thing....didn't he? Lol.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anton Chigurh posted:

Probably not. Don't some Kickstarters just deliver the proceeds to the to the creator(s), never to be heard from again?

At least Doobie tried to do the right thing....didn't he? Lol.

Everyone should be required to read the Saga of the Dune Pro before ever investing in anything like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
While I'd sooner gouge my eyes out with a fork than listen to Linus ever again, thanks for posting that since I'd not heard of the Dune Pro Case before.