Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

BrainDance posted:

Isn't it? Guy said, "almost got statutory raped", other guy said "BoJack didn't almost statutory rape Penny" cuz statutory rape is a legal category. It's not the point of the show but it's the point of that conversation.

I was talking about the show not the forum posts, as is the person I was quoting

The show makes its clear that it’s not actually illegal to emphasis all the other poo poo that’s wrong with it

In my opinion on the horse show

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, while I'm optimistic about the new show, it does seem weird for them to do another cartoon using the same art style, and it's ALSO a comedy about anthropomorphic animals who live like humans, but it's NOT set in the Bojack universe. Like it's fine for her to capitalize off her own success or whatever, but it seems strange to have two identical-looking but entirely unrelated shows based on the same oddball premise.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
What I hope happens is that the show for one reason or another does have a crossover episode with Bojack and Mr. Peanutbutter shows up and asks the question.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Nep-Nep posted:

What I hope happens is that the show for one reason or another does have a crossover episode with Bojack and Mr. Peanutbutter shows up and asks the question.

"Mr Peanut Butter and Bojack Horseman in the same thread? What is this... A crossover episode? Hahaha!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Okay, while I'm optimistic about the new show, it does seem weird for them to do another cartoon using the same art style, and it's ALSO a comedy about anthropomorphic animals who live like humans, but it's NOT set in the Bojack universe. Like it's fine for her to capitalize off her own success or whatever, but it seems strange to have two identical-looking but entirely unrelated shows based on the same oddball premise.

Nah

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't believe Matt Groening had the loving audacity to capitalize on his art style in not just one spin off show, but another one. Can't fuckin believe it.

This is the hill I will die on!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Conjunct the goddamn spheres Lisa

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Phenotype posted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funny_animal

I don't think a style of character dating back to the 1800s is really an "oddball premise" tbh

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Every live action TV show ever is a spinoff in the same universe because they all star humans

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Asema posted:

Can't believe Matt Groening had the loving audacity to capitalize on his art style in not just one spin off show, but another one. Can't fuckin believe it.

This is the hill I will die on!

I actually almost included the example "Matt Groening's shows look the same but at least they're wildly different settings" (and "Seth McFarlane's shows are similar but at least he uses a different art team") but I thought you guys would be smart enough to understand the difference.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Phenotype I myself am happy that artists involved in the Bojack phenomenon are going on to do new work. I will not personally be confused because the show will have a new name and new characters. I think you might enjoy it too if you gave it a chance thank you.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I always thought horses and birds were different :shrug:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

Well spotted! But it looks like both shows have all kinds of different anthropomorphic animals, so... Are you arguing just to argue?

Toalpaz posted:

Phenotype I myself am happy that artists involved in the Bojack phenomenon are going on to do new work. I will not personally be confused because the show will have a new name and new characters. I think you might enjoy it too if you gave it a chance thank you.

Dude I am super happy to watch a new show from them. I'm not sure why you think I'm worried about it being confusing, though, unless you're just being a poo poo. But you are crazy if you don't think it's a little strange that they're not at least sharing the same universe. Wouldn't it seem odd if Matt Groening did another show about people in the year 3000 that looked exactly like Futurama but it was completely unrelated?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Billzasilver posted:

Explain hippogriffs then

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Dude I am super happy to watch a new show from them. I'm not sure why you think I'm worried about it being confusing, though, unless you're just being a poo poo. But you are crazy if you don't think it's a little strange that they're not at least sharing the same universe. Wouldn't it seem odd if Matt Groening did another show about people in the year 3000 that looked exactly like Futurama but it was completely unrelated?

It'd probably be better than Disenchantment

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Billzasilver posted:

They’re both assholes.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

pixaal posted:

Explain hippogriffs then

A horse and a bird having sex, just like in nature :heysexy:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Has anyone called the show Bird City yet or is that fruit too low-hanging?

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Every live action TV show ever is a spinoff in the same universe because they all star humans

This actually made me go back and check, but I didn't see any human characters in the Tuca & Bertie trailer, so that actually might be a difference.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Phenotype posted:

I actually almost included the example "Matt Groening's shows look the same but at least they're wildly different settings" (and "Seth McFarlane's shows are similar but at least he uses a different art team") but I thought you guys would be smart enough to understand the difference.

For some reason when Matt Groening and Seth McFarlane do it, there are justifiable differences in the setting. But when Lisa Hanawalt does it, there's really no justification to be had. Checks out, definitely not some stubborn refusal to take a look at your own internal prejudices.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope Bojack gets to talk to Todd and Mr. Peanutbutter more next season. Like I really want some resolution to the weird dynamic Mr. Peanutbutter and Bojack have. Despite calling him out pretty strongly in season 2, Mr. Peanutbutter is always looking the other way and only seeing the best in Bojack and that's an unhealthy attitude to have around a guy like him. Like is he still gonna be "delighted to see" a guy he had to pull off of a woman half his size?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hawkgirl posted:

For some reason when Matt Groening and Seth McFarlane do it, there are justifiable differences in the setting. But when Lisa Hanawalt does it, there's really no justification to be had. Checks out, definitely not some stubborn refusal to take a look at your own internal prejudices.

Are you an idiot? It's either that or this is entirely a bad faith argument. Take your pick. But don't loving tell me I'm prejudiced against someone I didn't even know existed just because I said it seemed "a little strange" to me.

I'll spell it out for you really simply:

Simpsons: Family setting in modern day
Futurama: Looks the same, set in a planet-hopping future setting. There is no way for Fry to possibly meet Homer.
Enchantment: Looks the same, set in a magical fantasy land. (Sucks.) There is no way for Homer/Fry to possibly meet Bean.

Family Guy: Family setting in modern day.
Cleveland Show: Looks the same, same modern day setting, same universe. Cleveland and Peter are friends.
American Dad: Looks entirely different, family setting in modern day. You don't expect them to be related because the art doesn't match.

Bojack: Human-like animals in a modern day setting
New show: Looks the same, human-like animals in a modern day setting, different universe for some reason. Bojack could walk in the door without anything looking out of place.

I'm not sure why this is such a controversial opinion. I haven't said a thing about the potential quality of the show, I've even said I'm looking forward to it. I just said it seems strange that they're reusing the art style and the somewhat novel setting without making them related shows. They didn't pretend Frasier was entirely different than Cheers when they wanted to use the character and the actor again.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 16, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Are you an idiot? It's either that or this is entirely a bad faith argument. Take your pick. But don't loving tell me I'm prejudiced against someone I didn't even know existed just because I said it seemed "a little strange" to me.

I'll spell it out for you really simply:

Futurama: Looks the same, set in a planet-hopping future setting. There is no way for Fry to possibly meet Homer.
Enchantment: Looks the same, set in a magical fantasy land. (Sucks.) There is no way for Homer/Fry to possibly meet Bean.

Cleveland Show: Looks the same, same modern day setting, same universe. Cleveland and Peter are friends.
American Dad: Looks entirely different, family setting in modern day. You don't expect them to be related because the art doesn't match.

Bojack: Human-like animals in a modern day setting
New show: Looks the same, human-like animals in a modern day setting, different universe for some reason. Bojack could walk in the door without anything looking out of place.

I'm not sure why this is such a controversial opinion. I haven't said a thing about the potential quality of the show, I've even said I'm looking forward to it. I just said it seems strange that they're reusing the art style and the somewhat novel setting without making them related shows. They didn't pretend Frasier was entirely different than Cheers when they wanted to use the character and the actor again.

I'd say the people being yellow in the Simpsons is fairly unique and sets it apart from Futurama / Disenchantment I never questioned if the Simpsons was in the same universe as Futurama. People questioned if Futurama was set in the same universe as Disenchantment.

This really is nothing new, there's nothing wrong with asking the question "Hey this looks like this might be the same universe is it?" The answer is they are not intended to be in the same universe. Great. When I first saw it I was hoping for Bojack Universe small stories about normal people. Really though it doesn't matter too much if they are separate universes since the scope is unlikely to have any characters be close enough to each other to interact ever. Having 2 BoJack shows with "cross over episodes" every season would be the show becoming everything its mocking.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phenotype posted:

Sometimes people in Futurama have a little bump on the top of their nose. That's different from the Simpsons.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

But as pointed out several times on this very page, the universe IS different. It’s a lot more Family Guy vs American Dad than Family Guy vs Cleveland Show like you’re pretending.

Being really butthurt about the implication that you might be a flawed human being like the rest of us is usually a good sign that you are not perceiving things in an unbiased fashion

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Phenotype posted:

Uh... both those shows did do crossovers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You don't actually know what the setting of the new show is since we haven't seen it. Hollywoo is so incredibly ingrained into Bojack Horseman that I think characters with normal-rear end jobs would be a big departure.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Oh crap, I forgot about those!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I'm pretty sure that's something concocted by a vandal or a particularly nasty troll.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

I'm pretty sure that's something concocted by a vandal or a particularly nasty troll.
No, Simpsons is just still airing in 3000, so Homer's around.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

prefect posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpsorama

Bender is consistently in the basement of the Simpsons house now.

Honestly I don't blame you if you didn't see this episode because why are you watching the Simpsons still? I know I question why I bother.

It's a pretty decent episode if you like Futurama it's worth watching.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I get why people would ask if they're in the same universe, as it's fairly obvious how they could be. But if they aren't then they aren't, and it isn't strange. Lisa Hannawalt just likes her manimals.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Phenotype posted:

It's weird for another show designed by the same artist to have the same art style? Did people give Matt Groening this much poo poo about everything he did since The Simpsons?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nobody gives Tim Burton poo poo about all his movies looking exactly the same.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Entropic posted:

It's weird for another show designed by the same artist to have the same art style? Did people give Matt Groening this much poo poo about everything he did since The Simpsons?

Did you miss the entire internet convinced Bender was going to show up in Disenchantment? People are still convinced it's actually Futurama in disguise somehow. I have a coworker obsessed with comparing the characters and the moldy bread that's basically LSD, he thinks it's an acid trip and they are going to reboot Futurama. So yes people did post about it, a lot. I don't think anyone was confused about Simpsons and Futurama most people see them as completely different art styles mostly due to the yellow people.

edit: woops left out the part in italics

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 16, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

oh yeah, look at those art styles clash

why are these two very obviously unrelated shows crossing over?? I bet it fukken blew people's minds when they realized that American Dad was secretly by the same guy who did Family Guy, because there sure weren't any tip-offs beforehand!!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Are Family Guy and American Dad supposed to have different art teams? If you’d asked me before today then I’d have said they were drawn by the same person.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

Are Family Guy and American Dad supposed to have different art teams? If you’d asked me before today then I’d have said they were drawn by the same person.
Same bank of computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The music video Lisa Hanawalt directed for Tegan and Sara is really good, and the dancing plants that show up in it also show up in the trailer for Tuca and Bertie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNPrs17gZ2o