Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
FFXIII-2 has Crazy Chocobo which balances out any flaws IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

i love this song, what are you smoking

i just wanted to be your friend by using subversion mrs. mandatory lesbian!!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FF8 will probably always hold the "worst FF ever" crown for me. It had great music! It had a great card game! The cut scenes are neat! Shame about the plot, characters, and battle system though. I stumbled onto making my party invincible via refined cards on my first playthrough so without much to stop me, I plowed through the game sort of bored. That orphanage scene... Well, too many words have been written about it already, some by me. Poop on all that.

it's your kids, Noctis! We've got to do something about your kids!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i just wanted to be your friend by using subversion mrs. mandatory lesbian!!

oh cool, thats fine

also i'm a mr., my name was given by garbage day before he had to go to the farm upstate cause he was getting old

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Levantine posted:

FFXIII-2 has Crazy Chocobo which balances out any flaws IMO.
Spoken like someone who thinks they can ride on this chocobo :colbert:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Tae posted:

Some latest excerpts from Tabata

I hope we get an airplane, except instead of riding in it we ride ON it. It's called the USA Bahamut, and they proounce it You- Airs-Ay Vomit except replace the V with a B because the dialogue is all in Japanese because subs>dubs. TIME AND SPACE TIME AND SPACE TIME AND SPACE

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

I hope we get an airplane, except instead of riding in it we ride ON it. It's called the USA Bahamut, and they proounce it You- Airs-Ay Vomit except replace the V with a B because the dialogue is all in Japanese because subs>dubs. TIME AND SPACE TIME AND SPACE TIME AND SPACE

Calling the airship the USA Bombit would be pretty rough commentary, coming from Japan. They haven't really done that since FF VII.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bloodychill posted:

FF8 will probably always hold the "worst FF ever" crown for me. It had great music! It had a great card game! The cut scenes are neat! Shame about the plot, characters, and battle system though. I stumbled onto making my party invincible via refined cards on my first playthrough so without much to stop me, I plowed through the game sort of bored. That orphanage scene... Well, too many words have been written about it already, some by me. Poop on all that.

FFVIII had timed hits. Check and mate. :colbert:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So while there is a good deal of bitching about XIII in here from time to time, as the last outbreak shows, it has its defenders.

The game I see blasted more in here than any other is FF3 - specifically FF3 DS, and no one ever defends it. Well, guess what I got off Steam and have been playing all day.

I just got the Enterprise and so far, things seem fun and fair enough. Obviously I still have a long way to go so plenty of room for it to fall into the shitter but this is the last numbered non-MMO FF I haven't really played. Plus I was in the mood for some Job System.

Speaking of which, I naturally gave my favorite Jobs to the characters I like most. Refia is Red Mage and Ingus is Monk. I had Luneth as a Thief for most of the game but Steal has yielded nothing but Potions and some other worthless crap. I switched him to Warrior. Arc is pulling White Mage duty and I might leave him there forever at this rate. Always need a White Mage.

But yeah, the game gives me spells and good weapons for free while also not being stingy with Gil....I dunno, I like it so far. I also like MogNet returning, it's a nice little bit of extra character stuff like the FFIV thought bubbles.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 25, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

So while there is a good deal of bitching about XIII in here from time to time, as the last outbreak shows, it has its defenders.

The game I see blasted more in here than any other is FF3 - specifically FF3 DS, and no one ever defends it. Well, guess what I got off Steam and have been playing all day.

I just got the Enterprise and so far, things seem fun and fair enough. Obviously I still have a long way to go so plenty of room for it to fall into the shitter but this is the last numbered non-MMO FF I haven't really played. Plus I was in the mood for some Job System.

Speaking of which, I naturally gave my favorite Jobs to the characters I like most. Refia is Red Mage and Ingus is Monk. I had Luneth as a Thief for most of the game but Steal has yielded nothing but Potions and some other worthless crap. I switched him to Warrior. Arc is pulling White Mage duty and I might leave him there forever at this rate. Always need a White Mage.

But yeah, the game gives me spells and good weapons for free while also not being stingy with Gil....I dunno, I like it so far. I also like MogNet returning, it's a nice little bit of extra character stuff like the FFIV thought bubbles.

the problems with ff3ds become more apparent over time. at first it's neat but eventually it just all falls apart

i went through the exact same cycle when i played it, but hopefully you will have fun and not have any problems with it!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

"what, do they grow up to be assholes or something?"
"well what do you expect, you named him culus humongous"

NikkolasKing posted:

Always need a White Mage.

lmk how you feel about this after your white mage casts curaga at the beginning of the round when everyone is at full health, the boss gets three turns, and then in the next round, he gets his three turns first and your white mage doesn't cast curaga until everyone else is already dead because of rng

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 25, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah 3 DS has some extreme problems in the second half

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I hate FF13 and love FF3 NES, and I think FF3 DS is a worse game than all. It truly is the worst in the series.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What's so different between FF3 NES and DS? I thought about which to play but what I saw in the original FF3 just felt so...dated. I haven't played an 8-bit game in nearly two decades. Even FF1 and 2 I played the Origins and Advance versions. Plus, I hate fan translations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Capacity points you can prepare in advance instead of having to deal with Crystal sickness, it doesn't try to add to the plot in a way that introduces hilariously huge plot holes, and the lack of save points wasn't opposite to common expectation.

E: Oh, and they didn't try to balance jobs that were meant to be upgrades to each other in a way that made later ones useless, and bosses didn't get multiple attacks per turn and massively inflated HP.

Also just saying but hating fan translations as a general thing that exists is kinda weird. They're not all anime sub quality and for anything other than FF it's your only option for playing Japan-exclusive games if you don't speak Japanese.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

What's so different between FF3 NES and DS? I thought about which to play but what I saw in the original FF3 just felt so...dated. I haven't played an 8-bit game in nearly two decades. Even FF1 and 2 I played the Origins and Advance versions. Plus, I hate fan translations.

It is dated. It's an NES RPG.

The enemy parties used to have 6+ foes on screen in a single fight. The DS couldn't handle it, so they upped HP across the board and gave enemies multiple turns in a fight. You don't really notice this at first! But like any game by the FFXI guy, you've pretty much lost your soul and dignity by the endgame.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Also just saying but hating fan translations as a general thing that exists is kinda weird. They're not all anime sub quality and for anything other than FF it's your only option for playing Japan-exclusive games if you don't speak Japanese.

Adding to this, the Mother/3 and AA Investigations 2 fan-TLs are incredibly good.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I remember playing FF3 DS. I got to Cloud of Darkness and proceeded to be facerolled by complete bullshit a billion times until I quit playing and I still haven't ever returned. :shepface:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh and before someone says "Crystal sickness isn't that bad", it's still a penalty for changing jobs that - regardless of severity - is a mental obstacle to deciding to change jobs. Especially when there was a system in place already whether you think it was better or not and why would you change this before adding save points?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Capacity points you can prepare in advance instead of having to deal with Crystal sickness, it doesn't try to add to the plot in a way that introduces hilariously huge plot holes, and the lack of save points wasn't opposite to common expectation.

E: Oh, and they didn't try to balance jobs that were meant to be upgrades to each other in a way that made later ones useless, and bosses didn't get multiple attacks per turn and massively inflated HP.

I'll use a fan translation if it's my only option but if there is an alternative, I prefer that.

And if one Job is an upgrade to another,doesn't that just mean that the original rendered some Jobs completely useless as well?

As for the Plot, I can't speak much on that. All I know, thanks to years on FF boards, is there is some guy named... Xende I think it was, and Cloud of Darkness. All I've really learned so far in the actual game though is all our heroes are orphans and the super earthquake was triggered by someone.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Just play Undertale or Stardew Valley, depending if you feel like Earthbound or Harvest Moon. You'll actually enjoy yourself!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh and before someone says "Crystal sickness isn't that bad", it's still a penalty for changing jobs that - regardless of severity - is a mental obstacle to deciding to change jobs. Especially when there was a system in place already whether you think it was better or not and why would you change this before adding save points?

It doesn't seem like a needless inclusion at first, but as you play the game you realize that there's no particular tactical reason for its inclusion. It's a needless handicap, it balances nothing overall, the jobs themselves are not so broken as to make fluid switching a balance-breaking scenario. Worse, as you go later into the game you'll be finding new jobs, more jobs, and more difficult enemies that are going to assume you have access to new job abilities, and you are immediately handicapped or forced to grind arbitrarily in order to properly utilize your new jobs.

Or, you change jobs on a whim right before a boss, and forget about the debuff and...

There's absolutely no reason for it and it's honestly a major mark against the game's fun factor.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

NikkolasKing posted:

And if one Job is an upgrade to another,doesn't that just mean that the original rendered some Jobs completely useless as well?

Well yes but their attempt to not do that made it worse in the other direction. It was at least intentional in the NES version.

E: Spoilers but on 3 DS plot stuff: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-III-DS/Update%2087/

Note that a lot of the lines that support the NES timeline are still there so the whole thing becomes incongruous and confusing.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 25, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It doesn't seem like a needless inclusion at first, but as you play the game you realize that there's no particular tactical reason for its inclusion. It's a needless handicap, it balances nothing overall, the jobs themselves are not so broken as to make fluid switching a balance-breaking scenario. Worse, as you go later into the game you'll be finding new jobs, more jobs, and more difficult enemies that are going to assume you have access to new job abilities, and you are immediately handicapped or forced to grind arbitrarily in order to properly utilize your new jobs.

Or, you change jobs on a whim right before a boss, and forget about the debuff and...

There's absolutely no reason for it and it's honestly a major mark against the game's fun factor.

So you can't beat this game sticking to just four Jobs? And what is this debuff/penalty you're talking about?

AlphaKretin posted:

Well yes but their attempt to not do that made it worse in the other direction. It was at least intentional in the NES version.

E: Spoilers but on 3 DS plot stuff: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-III-DS/Update%2087/

Note that a lot of the lines that support the NES timeline are still there so the whole thing becomes incongruous and confusing.

Well, I'll make sure to read that after I finish the game. Thanks for the link.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

actually the stupidest thing about jobs in ff3 and ff3 ds is that job exp isn't based on anything but how many actions you take, and also that you can only gain one job level per combat, meaning that switching to a new job requires grinding every single time just to catch up to where you were. but then high level advanced jobs are better than high level normal jobs! basically the design is set up to require that you grind at some point and also that the grinding will be as tedious as possible since the fastest way to level your job, at any job level, at any part of the game, is to guard 8 times against an easily killed goblin and then kill it. so the job system in 3ds is dogshit.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 25, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you want a job system play FFV or Bravely Default, those are good games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Or hell Bravely Second

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In a pinch, FF:Dimensions. But like, only if you've already exhausted the superior options.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

In Training posted:

Or hell Bravely Second
or yeah, that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

play fft

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Excellent life advice. I'm going to put this on my bathroom mirror.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Barudak posted:

In a pinch, FF:Dimensions. But like, only if you've already exhausted the superior options.
FF Dimensions had some weirdly good music sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDutlw_r-CEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaW9wJwO1_0

Nothing else about that game was particularly good, don't play it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

If you want a job system play FFV or Bravely Default, those are good games.

Played FFV, don't have a 3DS or whatever Bravely is on.

Never played a Tactical RPG.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh hey, FFVIII and XIII-2 are now installed. Which first and what mods are needed for either.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Off the top of my head FF8's music fixer is called Roses and Wine, I dunno how tolerable you find the graphics. Maybe something for the button prompts? But I haven't played or modded FF8 much so I can't help you there

All that really exists for FF13-2 is button prompts and restoring the DLC that licensing issues kept on console, but at least the latter is worthwhile and I'll grab a link for that in a sec.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=592362842

E: If there is a mod that unlocks Chronobind and the other dlc i guess before beating the plot it would be very much worthwhile but I haven't found one.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 25, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Never played a Tactical RPG.

well start you fool

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

So you can't beat this game sticking to just four Jobs? And what is this debuff/penalty you're talking about?
No, you can't. Every class has core stats, FF5-style, except the Wind Crystal jobs have the worst core stats in the game. On top of that, <Color> Mages cap at like fifth-level magic the way they do in FF1 (RDM, of course, caps out at like lv3, which isn't even high enough to cast some of the spells you actually need, as in mandatory to navigate dungeons). Later in the game, you'll get <Color> Wizards, which have no magic level cap.

On the warrior side of things, Fighter and Black Belt run into equipment caps. After a while, they won't even be able to put on that cool new armor or weapon that you just found. Better upgrade classes! This isn't FF5 where Wind Crystal Knights can equip Excaliburs and Ragnaroks, and where the Muramasa is just an equally-powerful legendary weapon made for a different class; this is FF3-DS, baby! Everyone knows a Fighter can use an Iron Sword, but can't fathom touching a Steel Sword :downs:

The most direct example of this is Conjurers, which are summoners except loving useless. Here's how they work: the game runs a 1:2 chance for a Black or White version of a summon, and they're all trash. Titan, for example, doesn't cast earth magic. His black magic conjure is Punch. His white magic conjure is Kick! At the very end of the game, you get actual Summoners. They're barely useful compared to regular Color Wizards, except for the fact that they're basically lovely Black Wizards with lower MP in exchange for no multitarget damage penalty.

Class Change Sickness is a penalty you get for changing classes. Every time you change jobs, you get like a -20% penalty to ALL STATS until you fight a number of battles. That number changes based on what class you were, which class you changed to, and the job levels of both.

On top of all this, HP is the only stat that persists between levels, and is based on your VIT score upon leveling. Your VIT score is, of course, affected by your class, so casters have permanently low HP. Furthermore, VIT gets debuffed by Class Change Sickness, so I hope you didn't gain any levels when you had it. And I really hope you didn't gain any levels as a Scholar because their VIT is like 3. Oops!

Speaking of Scholar, there's a boss who uses Barrier Shift or whatever it's called about a third of the way into the game--you know, the FF classic: change elemental weakness every round. This is the first indication that FF3-DS was very poorly thought-out. Here's how it's supposed to go:
code:
1) Boss changes weaknesses.
2) Scholar scans boss.
3) End of round.
4) Use an elemental attack item, which will be used before the boss changes weaknesses.
5) goto 1
Here's how it goes in FF3-DS, because initiative and turn order is rerolled every turn and is utterly inconsistent.
code:
1) Scholar scans boss.
2) Boss changes weakness.
3) End of round.

4) Boss changes weakness.
5) Use an elemental attack item, activation speed doesn't matter because gently caress you.
6) Scholar scans boss.
7) Boss changes elemental weakness.

8) Boss acts three times in a row and wipes your party
9) This dungeon is about thirty minutes long from the world map.
10) gently caress my life
The variance is like AGI+[random(0,256)]. Your max Agility is 99, so enemies with 0 can easily go before you.

And to expand on what Corn said, your job level also factors into your hits per attack and iirc influences your hit rate. You'll probably have gained, say, twenty? Thirty job levels before you get the next direct upgrade? Your brand new class with abilities that suck less and access to better weapons and armor constantly misses and hits half as many times. Welcome back to square one, you get to grind the levels out all over again.

FF3-DS isn't "bad" like FF8 or FF10 where it's subjective whether or not you hate it. It's bad like a game that crashes to desktop because it doesn't do garbage disposal. It's flawed on a basic developmental level. It's missing a dozen chromosomes. The coded math itself is designed solely to cause the end user immeasurable distress.

quote:

after I finish the game

lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

The variance is like AGI+[random(0,256)]. Your max Agility is 99, so enemies with 0 can easily go before you.

what the gently caress is this bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Imagine if in DnD, you rolled initiative every round with a d200 and had to keep your roll secret. Yeah.