Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Comp doesn't matter unless you're getting hard-countered, like if you're Pharah and Soldier and Widow are ruining you every time you poke your head up. You're always better off just playing whichever characters you're good at. If you're better at Moira tell the guy your Mercy sucks so you won't be switching, etc.

If you like you can watch OWL or some of the GM comp streamers to see what the current meta is but unless you're also Master or GM you can't replicate the games sense and mechanical skill that make their comp selections work. Doesn't stop people from cargo culting anyways, as if running a 2-2-2 comp will magically make them capable of aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Boxman posted:

Things went fine, but at this point I’m sort of picking the one of the 2-3 heroes I feel comfortable with at random depending on the role I’m in, and I’d love to actually look at a map or team comp and pick for a reason.
I've got some thoughts, but hopefully someone will correct mine since I'm not that great. These are really broad generalizations and are kind of based on what I've been trying to think about, and are largely based around 2/2/2, which is by no means required, just a mental starting place for me.

Tanks: Tanks create space for your team to work. Generally, the more vertical the map is, the more important controlling the high ground is, and therefore, the more important mobility is. This favors something like D.Va/Winston, especially those working in concert. They can support each other more easily and work together more easily. They (and Hammond I guess? I don't have a handle on him) are "dive" tanks and essentially create space for your team by diving onto the enemy's supports/back line, which forces the enemy front line to either turn around (exposing themselves to the rest of your team) or to let their support get vaporized. They protect their teammates by drawing fire. This works well in something like Eichenwald stage 2, since the castle/highground is really important and its really easy to be flanked. Orisa/Reinhardt are barrier tanks, and create space by giving your DPS a safe space to function and, in Reinhardt's case, by having a bigass hammer that's a giant threat to anyone who gets too close. They work best in areas with lots of linearity, like Eichenwald 3, with Orisa having more of a long-range threat and staying power, while Reinhardt can move forward. They're both vulnerable to being flanked, which is why that linearity is important. Finally, Hog/Zarya are more...pseudo-tanks in that they're basically really tough DPS characters with a lot more durability in return for less damage output and a smaller threat radius, who also support their main tank. They threaten space, but don't have the durability to really protect teammates. Generally, if you want tanks, they should complement each other. Dive tanks work well together, while two barrier tanks are fairly superfluous. Dive and Barrier tanks are also best on different maps, so their strengths don't really play to each other. Barrier and off-tanks do work pretty well though. Zarya and Rein are great together: Rein gives Zarya a place to recharge her shields, a safe place to poke from, and a fantastic bubble target. Similarly, Zarya helps protect Rein from all of the various stuns headed his way and gives him more durability when he wants to start swinging away. They also, together, are really threatening in a small space. Orisa/Hog are two I don't know as well, but they seem like they wouldn't be too bad together either. So, very broadly, on map selection: lots of verticality = dive tanks. Lots of linearity = one barrier and one off-tank. The last bit of thought is team comp: if your DPS are (eg) Tracer/Genji, then a barrier doesn't really do too much to protect your team, so dive tanks are going to work better with them.

Supports: I haven't thought about them as much in terms of who to pick, but here's some thoughts: Moira and Brig are really strong in closely packed compositions. Moira has no real ability to project heals over a distance, and the healing value of her abilities increases the more people she can hit with her orb or spray. Brig similarly puts out more healing the more people are around her, though she does notably have a long-range burst heal. Lucio's healing and speed aura are both good in closely packed groups too, especially ones with a lot of close-range damage. Zen has weak healing, but its only limited by LoS and he has the ability to increase damage taken, so in something like a team with Dva/Winston/Tracer/Genji, he can ensure that one person on the enemy team gets instantly melted, putting you up one in a fight and hopefully steamrolling from there. He also puts out some drat nice damage himself over good range. Ana can also somewhat heal over a long distance, but her heals can be blocked by barriers. Mercy I actually almost never play because every game for awhile had a Mercy, so I never got her, but she is mobile as all hell and so probably works well with a team that's more spread out, but she can only heal one person at a time. She's also the only healer with any real vertical movement and like Zen, comes with a damage boost so works well if you've got someone putting out consistent long-range damage. Basically, all I've got are: if you've got a lot of close-range characters willing to move together, some combo of Brig, Moira, and Lucio are good. If you're more spread out, then you won't get as much value from them and go with someone else. (Insert whining over Brig being OP here). Also: Ana's healing output is heavily aim-dependent, as is her number one defensive ability. If your healer can't aim, she's useless, regardless of any theoretical heal output. She also can't do much if the enemy team has a lot of barriers and your DPS keeps going behind them.

DPS: There are a fuckton here to talk about, and I'll let someone else do it since the only DPS I have any head for at all is Pharah. Mostly, look at ranges available on the map. The more open the map, the more Hanzo/Widow are favored. The closer and more choke-pointed the map, the more someone spammy like Junkrat is. The more vertical it is, the more Genji/Pharah are, especially if there is vertical cover. The more flanking routes there are, the more mobile characters (Tracer, Genji, Sombra) can gently caress with enemy supports. As for team comp, flankers are good at killing enemy backliners, but can struggle to protect their own supports if necessary, where someone like McCree can defend their supports better while still putting out respectable damage. Less mobile DPS work better with barrier tanks, while mobile ones work better with dive tanks.

Please please pick that apart as able, but that's roughly what I think about. On the other hand, composition doesn't matter anywhere near as much as playing whichever character you're simply best with, so gently caress anyone who asks you to switch.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

not this poo poo again
Where did this meme come from anyway?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AkumaHokoru posted:

Where did this meme come from anyway?
Could you be a bit clearer about which meme?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Could you be a bit clearer about which meme?

I thought I saw a similar post to this one in this same thread with the exact same format. upon reading it has more recent info in it and isn't screaming how 2/2/2 is the beat all end all format.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AkumaHokoru posted:

I thought I saw a similar post to this one in this same thread with the exact same format. upon reading it has more recent info in it and isn't screaming how 2/2/2 is the beat all end all format.

Oh gently caress no, its just the easiest way for me to start organizing my thinking because otherwise "cram 28 possible characters into 6 choices, with all of the available permutations including based on what the enemy team does" rapidly goes past what I can conceptualize easily.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Oh gently caress no, its just the easiest way for me to start organizing my thinking because otherwise "cram 28 possible characters into 6 choices, with all of the available permutations including based on what the enemy team does" rapidly goes past what I can conceptualize easily.

that's honestly how I treat it that latter half there. What is the enemy doing. Can we address it with our team? Fill the gap.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Boxman posted:

Can someone type words or point me to where words are about team comps? I’m in my placements and one of my group mates was all “Mercy’s not great here, hows your Moira” and I’m sorta equally shot at everything so I swapped over.

Things went fine, but at this point I’m sort of picking the one of the 2-3 heroes I feel comfortable with at random depending on the role I’m in, and I’d love to actually look at a map or team comp and pick for a reason.

I don't know of a resource, but in general people build off of these ideas:

[moira or ana]/brig/rein/[zarya or dva]/[any 2 DPS to counter their comp] this is the standard right now

moira/lucio/brig/rein/zarya/dva is called goats. you stay very close together and AOE heal the fat tanks and all focus on 1 target

zen/lucio/dva/winston/genji/tracer is full dive. You get in fast and kill their healers before you need sustained healing. This has fallen way out of favor but still has a place on maps with high ground. Some people are just good at those dive heros and you have to work around them.

mercy/[brig or moira]/[orisa or rein]/[roadhog or dva or zarya]/pharah/[any dps] the idea here is to enable pharah/mercy. Some pharahs are good enough that you have to work around them.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

AkumaHokoru posted:

that's honestly how I treat it that latter half there. What is the enemy doing. Can we address it with our team? Fill the gap.

Same. I honestly think that for the average player "X hero doesn't work on this map" is complete nonsense, dated thinking carried over from other shooters with a smaller hero roster and less complex interactions. Maybe I'm just not able to see it yet as a silver or gold player, but for me the major factor is what the other team is fielding. Unless it's something fundamental like Widow/Hanzo not having the sightlines they need to do work, I feel like what the enemy team is doing matters WAY more than the idiosyncrasies of what map we're on. I have often felt like the enemy comp/behavior calls for a hero my friends deem "bad on this map."

Totally anecdotal experience but I have more fun and win more when I ignore that kind of input and play what I think I can solve the problem with.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Same. I honestly think that for the average player "X hero doesn't work on this map" is complete nonsense, dated thinking carried over from other shooters with a smaller hero roster and less complex interactions. Maybe I'm just not able to see it yet as a silver or gold player, but for me the major factor is what the other team is fielding. Unless it's something fundamental like Widow/Hanzo not having the sightlines they need to do work, I feel like what the enemy team is doing matters WAY more than the idiosyncrasies of what map we're on. I have often felt like the enemy comp/behavior calls for a hero my friends deem "bad on this map."

Totally anecdotal experience but I have more fun and win more when I ignore that kind of input and play what I think I can solve the problem with.

People are always surprised when a reaper starts eating through the game...then you look and see they were running team fatbody with no one who could chase him properly and he has a good healkit supporting him and decent damage from the other characters around him.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Unsinkabear posted:

You may be right on some level, but not entirely. Some heros and comps can exploit high ground/boops/fast roll outs/chokes on different maps and others can't. You are at a disadvantage if you don't take advantage of the exploits. Can you overcome this by being better with another hero? Sure. But someone that is your same skill level on the other team is going to exploit the terrain and beat you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

My main thought was less "this hero doesn't work" and more " this hero might struggle some and might be worth switching." For me, I think the biggest thing was Reinhardt on Eichenwald: On points 1 and 3, I think Rein works really well. On point 2 though, I really struggle to accomplish anything and get poked to death from all sides and above. The only time I don't, actually, is when my DPSs are good enough that they just sweep everything aside and take the castle, leaving me to push the cart uncontested (which I could do with any character). When I switched to Winston or Dva for that second point, even though I am worse with them, I anecdotally found it working better because I could help with the castle fights and really move all over the place.

Besides, you might as well start with something and switch from there based on what the enemy team is doing, so looking at the map helped a bit.

e: And if the enemy team wanted to keep fighting you on the cart directly instead of fighting over the castle first, you'd be perfectly fine in staying on Reinhardt because they've basically ceded that very useful point so you don't need to worry as much about being poked down from flanks/above (while your team can do the same to them), so you can keep doing Reinhardt things. That's fine too, they were very deliberately very, very broad statements about map choice.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 3, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

That's fine too, they were very deliberately very, very broad statements about map choice.

Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet and was just ranting about a dumb thing I hear a lot because it's tangentially related, wasn't intending to directly respond to your post. I thought you made sense. :buddy:

headcase posted:

You may be right on some level, but not entirely. Some heros and comps can exploit high ground/boops/fast roll outs/chokes on different maps and others can't. You are at a disadvantage if you don't take advantage of the exploits. Can you overcome this by being better with another hero? Sure. But someone that is your same skill level on the other team is going to exploit the terrain and beat you.

For sure, I see that happening and I believe those things exist. But as a one-match-a-day kind of guy, I'm not immersed in the game enough to know the comps/combinations/exploits for every map and how they vary based on individual match scenario (I'm barely aware enough to notice it happening in real time and try to counter). Nor am I, in quick play with 5 other Marlon Randos, going to be able to execute those exploits myself (unless it's a simple one-man thing like Lucio-boop assholes into the well). And the enemy randos usually aren't either. So for me it's easier to just get a little smarter about how to Brigitte (or whoever is necessary) on that map.

I was trying to imply that this is true for a lot of casual Overwatchers. But we're in year 3 of the game now and it's totally possible that I'm just farther behind the average skill/awareness than I want to admit. :shrug:

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Unsinkabear posted:

So for me it's easier to just get a little smarter about how to Brigitte (or whoever is necessary) on that map.

That is exactly what I've been doing too. Besides... sometimes you just want to play a hero and make them work.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

headcase posted:

That is exactly what I've been doing too. Besides... sometimes you just want to play a hero and make them work.

Totally, it can be really satisfying if you manage it. It would be nice if there were some sort of Idiot's Guide to Map Tricks I could glance over, but that's probably near-impossible to keep current and concise.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

If you switch to a hero you aren't experienced with, you're throwing, even if your intention is to counter-pick. Switching to deal with one hero on their team means you might be slightly more effective against that player while potentially being less effective against the other five. Unless that player is clearly carrying I wouldn't recommend it.

Don't switch unless you personally feel it is necessary. The other team ought to prove to you that this is the case, not your own team. Show the enemy no respect until they earn it.

(This is all from the perspective of average ladder play, pugs and high level ladder play are probably a different dynamic but I wouldn't know.)

Unsinkabear posted:

Marlon Rando

mods, name change please

kalel fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 4, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

if Sym is trying to get to a place then its probably a very nice place for your turret to be for the rest of its life.

This continues to never be the case for me.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

This was very satisfying to death spectate.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

This was very satisfying to death spectate.

too small cant see.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

too small cant see.

An optometrist could help you with that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

too small cant see.

it's a little hard to tell but I think the sombra hacked the pharah over the pit?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Can't you just post videos like a normal goon?

It got a better quality and higher resolution than gif.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

adhuin posted:

Can't you just post videos like a normal goon?

It got a better quality and higher resolution than gif.

Wouldn't want to sacrifice quality for a 5 second clip!

Jesus, here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoGsP77jCi9ymUsID-hk_1UErfLz

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 7, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is that Lijang in the daytime? I didn't even know you could do that.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For Capture the Flag the maps are at different times of day than normal. Lijiang is in the day, Nepal is at night, and Ilios is at dusk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a shame that lijiang isn't in the day time normally because it looks great

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Meanwhile, I'm bummed that Lijiang Night Market never shows up as a CTF map anymore. :( I liked that layout.

Does anyone know why they pulled it from CTF?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
they should rotate time of day into the maps. some of those maps at night/in day look way different/cooler. I would LOVE to see blizzworld at night.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

AkumaHokoru posted:

I would LOVE to see blizzworld at night.

That would be a great Halloween map actually

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Killing Loaf posted:

That would be a great Halloween map actually

Doesn't look like that happening, since the twitter feed shows the deathmatch castle being the halloween map which I forget if it was the one last year or not.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I love the Moira skin, but Holy poo poo the Wrecking Ball and Pharah skins!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2018/10/08/all-the-new-upcoming-skins-for-overwatchs-halloween-terror-event/

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuuuck I want the Pharah and Moira skins badly.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Ravenfood posted:

Fuuuck I want the Pharah and Moira skins badly.

I'll get Moira for sure. She's pretty much my main. I'm drat wretched with Pharah and I want that skin!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I can't buy loot crates anymore without losing out bigtime, I now get nothing from Grey Blue and Purple always dupes, i need those Golds though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This is my first event. Are the seasonal skins available for purchase for gold during the event, or do I just pray to RN Jesus when I open crates?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Boxman posted:

This is my first event. Are the seasonal skins available for purchase for gold during the event, or do I just pray to RN Jesus when I open crates?

you can use real money to buy crates and you can buy them for gold if you have enough - usually 3000 for legendary skins

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

TheresaJayne posted:

you can use real money to buy crates and you can buy them for gold if you have enough - usually 3000 for legendary skins

New event items are 3x usual gold cost, but ones from previous years are available at the usual cost for their rarities. I mean to get Dracula Reaper now it's cheaper.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

I can't buy loot crates anymore without losing out bigtime, I now get nothing from Grey Blue and Purple always dupes, i need those Golds though.

stop buying crates. you dont loving need the skins that bad. jesus no. dont do this. I hate that these things can even be purchased because theres literally no loving reason to buy them unless you cant wait to get a costume you cant see for 80% of your time in a match.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah, f you play a lot you'll unlock some and can buy the ones you really must have with gold, and if you don't play that much it's not a justifiable expense. No matter where you fall on the time curve it's a bad value.

Also, just don't pay for randomized poo poo ever. It makes it really hard for your brain to make a reasonable judgement on whether it's worth it or not. I've bought enough to get at least one cool skin for each character and that pleases me, but if you laid out everything I got vs everything I spent up front, I would never have made that buy. Almost no one would.

I have like 75 hours played of Overwatch and I've spent at least $150 on skins. Don't be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Lol I have over 15K ow creds and I can't be arsed to spend it on mostly crappy skins you barely see yourself. I rather spend real monies on a couple of accounts (discount action periods only) to split roles but each to his own I guess.