Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Popete posted:

Yankee Stadium looks like it was influenced by Soviet bloc apartment architecture. I had a bad experience sitting in the bleachers, so whatever you do don't get bleacher seats. I guess the rest of the stadium is fine though, the food was nothing special from what I remember.

Citi Field was a much more pleasant experience.

The bleachers at Yankee stadium are the loving worst. And filled with enough trash people that the last time I was there the beer vendors only let you get 1 beer per person. But you'll enjoy it if you like being right in front of the speaker that plays the PC Richardson whistle a dozen times per game.

The rest of the stadium is meh at best. It's just not a good stadium. It's like seeing a game at a big concrete mall.

Citi field is very pleasant, if a bit more of a hassle to get to. Muuuuuch better food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The bleachers at Wrigley are one of two places in the city you can still get Hot Doug's sausages. The other being on a specialty pizza at Piece. They used to also have what I called a "meat tornado" but I have no idea the real name of it. It was a cone of bread filled with BBQ pulled pork and macaroni & cheese. It was also bleachers-only, so just like with the guest chefs thing, it's disappointingly restricted as to where you can get the good food at Wrigley.

That was exactly what I was referring to.

:eng101: actually you don't need to order the specialty pizza at Piece, Hot Doug's Atomic Sausage is available as a topping on any pizza you want.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheChirurgeon posted:

And filled with enough trash people that the last time I was there the beer vendors only let you get 1 beer per person.

I think that's the case for all of the walking vendors. Even the stands only let you buy 2 beers per ID.

I don't mind the bleachers but then again I'm a Yankees fan. Aren't all bleacher sections supposed to be for rowdy home crowd people?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Inspector_666 posted:

I think that's the case for all of the walking vendors. Even the stands only let you buy 2 beers per ID.

I don't mind the bleachers but then again I'm a Yankees fan. Aren't all bleacher sections supposed to be for rowdy home crowd people?

I got push back from the cart vendors last time I sat in the bleachers, but that was like 3 years ago (haven't sat there since). I just didn't think it was a great experience and also I got sick of the "dee-dee-dee-de-deeee" right behind my head pretty fast. I wasn't even rooting against the Yankees that day. (iirc they were playing the Rangers that day)

The nonbleacher seats are OK, I guess. I've been to about 2/3 of the parks in the US and Yankee stadium doesn't really crack the top half of experiences, which seems inexcusable for a team with their history and payroll. The only real upside is that getting there by subway is pretty easy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheChirurgeon posted:

I got push back from the cart vendors last time I sat in the bleachers, but that was like 3 years ago (haven't sat there since). I just didn't think it was a great experience and also I got sick of the "dee-dee-dee-de-deeee" right behind my head pretty fast. I wasn't even rooting against the Yankees that day. (iirc they were playing the Rangers that day)

The nonbleacher seats are OK, I guess. I've been to about 2/3 of the parks in the US and Yankee stadium doesn't really crack the top half of experiences, which seems inexcusable for a team with their history and payroll. The only real upside is that getting there by subway is pretty easy.

I won't defend Yankee Stadium as a whole (although most the nostalgia for the older one was just based on it being seasoned, the new one is actually objectively nicer in a lot of ways) either. It definitely did not keep up with the improvements that we're seeing at new parks around the league. Improving the concessions would go a really long way, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Usually, but it depends on the stadium. As I said the A's bleachers were actually quite pleasant even though I was an opposing fan. I also had a good time in the Dodger Stadium bleachers, but I was with several Dodger fan friends and the Cubs got soundly beat, which probably saved me the worst of Dodger fan wrath.

I imagine the Wrigley bleachers would be insufferable for a non-Cubs fan.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The one time me and my brother went to Yankee Stadium and sat in the bleachers it was a poo poo show. The Yankees where playing the Angels and highlights included the guy shoving and yelling at his girlfriend right in front of us as the security guards did nothing. The guy who showed up in a Celtics jersey and had food and beer thrown at him. Overall it was just a highly unpleasant experience, everyone appeared to be trying to out rear end in a top hat everyone else. We ended up leaving in the 7th.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sydin posted:

Bay Area traffic is bad and parking in SF, particularly in the area around AT&T, is not exactly pleasant, yes.

I mean having to drive in at all. If you have to drive in to games, you're in a terrible place. Even in Chicago it was easy to get to either stadium without driving.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Sydin posted:

I found it just fine, but there were a whole bunch of other Jays fans there too.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lmao Pirates fans, I'm sorry

https://twitter.com/stephenjnesbitt/status/953712397797249025

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Sydin posted:

This depends on how much you plan on drinking.

If you're in the bleachers, the correct answer is "a lot."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

As an Astros fan, this is pretty lol-worthy

We're not *that* far removed from those 100-loss tanking seasons

Inspector_666 posted:

I won't defend Yankee Stadium as a whole (although most the nostalgia for the older one was just based on it being seasoned, the new one is actually objectively nicer in a lot of ways) either. It definitely did not keep up with the improvements that we're seeing at new parks around the league. Improving the concessions would go a really long way, though.

Yeah, that's fair. I haven't personally had a problem with the fans at Yankee stadium or anything and I've been as an away fan several times (though this may change if Astros-Yankees becomes a real rivalry). It's not an unpleasant experience, it just doesn't stack up to other stadiums and it's comparatively much more expensive. I'd probably like it more if I were a Yankees fan, but I don't have any particular reverence for their history.

AT&T Park is probably my favorite experience I've had, though I'll always have a soft spot for Camden Yards

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Astros were planning for their window during that time though. The Pirates tanked (for twenty years) to be good and then neglected to spend to actually make something of the window they managed to open

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I mean having to drive in at all. If you have to drive in to games, you're in a terrible place. Even in Chicago it was easy to get to either stadium without driving.

I live in south San Jose and the sad reality is that for a variety of logistical reasons it's easier for me to drive up to Oakland/SF and park than it is to take the VTA from my house and deal with transferring to CalTrain/BART. That would change significantly if/when they finally completed the extension of BART down to San Jose, but right now using public transit would take 2 hours a minimum to get to either stadium from where I live. :(

TheChirurgeon posted:

AT&T Park is probably my favorite experience I've had, though I'll always have a soft spot for Camden Yards

AT&T was fantastic and while the tickets are a bit outrageous I'm definitely going to try and catch a Cubs game there again this season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Patrick Spens posted:

I found it just fine, but there were a whole bunch of other Jays fans there too.

As long as the Cubs aren't playing a divisional opponent or the White Sox, you'll be totally fine in the bleachers as an opposing fan. But if you're decked out in Cardinals or Brewers gear and loudly cheering for them, people are going to be super-assholes towards you.

For a long time now, PNC has been number one on my list of parks that I haven't visited yet and want to see in person. It'd be a pretty easy Summer weekend road trip. On one hand, I don't want to give Nutting any money, but on the other, tickets will probably be super cheap and it would definitely make Nutting look foolish if the majority of the fans were decked out in Cubbie blue.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

As long as the Cubs aren't playing a divisional opponent or the White Sox, you'll be totally fine in the bleachers as an opposing fan. But if you're decked out in Cardinals or Brewers gear and loudly cheering for them, people are going to be super-assholes towards you.

For a long time now, PNC has been number one on my list of parks that I haven't visited yet and want to see in person. It'd be a pretty easy Summer weekend road trip. On one hand, I don't want to give Nutting any money, but on the other, tickets will probably be super cheap and it would definitely make Nutting look foolish if the majority of the fans were decked out in Cubbie blue.

He'd just look out at all the gate and concession revenue.

Apr 7, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This already happened in 2017

Apr 7, 2003

Also having been to both stadiums, while tickets are cheaper at PNC (not by a huge amount for normal seats), the concessions are way more expensive than Wrigley.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It’s not just the bleachers and you don’t have to be cheering loudly. :negative:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Back in the summer of 2015 second row seats right behind the visiting team dugout were about $100 apiece on StubHub. Best and cheapest seats on our vacation that summer. Granted the other seats were at Fenway, Yankee Stadium and the original cast of Hamilton like a week before the Tony awards, but still...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I went to Wrigley for the first time a few years ago and while the stadium was cool god drat were there more drunk fans there than I've seen at a baseball game. I think that's just Chicago sports fans in general though.

Apr 7, 2003

In 2016 I spent over $1,000 on beer alone at PNC Park and that was just two beers a game. I think a 16 oz can is up to $13.50.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

TheChirurgeon posted:

While true, they at least seem interested in acquiring good players to keep the win-train going.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In 2016 I spent over $1,000 on beer alone at PNC Park and that was just two beers a game. I think a 16 oz can is up to $13.50.

I went to an Isles game at Barclay a few weeks go and holy gently caress a Soda was like 13$. It was refillable but that was still obscene. I can't even imagine what prices are like for poo poo at a Yankees game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

b0ng posted:

While true, they at least seem interested in acquiring good players to keep the win-train going.

Yeah, I'm grateful for that at least. And unlike the current rash of teams attempting to blindly tank their way to fun and profit, the Astros had a real need to enact their strategy given how bare the cupboard was after the team changed hands.

I thought Wrigley was cool but I wasn't there as an opposing fan. Although it seems like people don't wash their hands there after they use the restroom

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

I went to Wrigley for the first time a few years ago and while the stadium was cool god drat were there more drunk fans there than I've seen at a baseball game. I think that's just Chicago sports fans in general though.

The stadium is smack dab in the middle of a bunch of bars. Most of the people walk or take public transportation to the games so they don't have to worry about driving. I think Wrigley has more drunk fans because of these factors.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Niwrad posted:

The stadium is smack dab in the middle of a bunch of bars. Most of the people walk or take public transportation to the games so they don't have to worry about driving. I think Wrigley has more drunk fans because of these factors.

I've only been to Wrigley once but I remember there basically only being Bud Light, Budweiser or Goose Island as the only beer options, and they weren't cheap. There were lots of bars within walking distance that'd offer a larger selection but I wasn't impressed. It was super nice to take the train and having it walkable.

Angels stadium has the cheapest beer and a large selection but 99% of people drive there so they aren't nearly as likely to get hosed up. They also don't allow tailgating except in one small area under the A so there isn't a huge party scene hours before a game like some other stadiums.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Milwaukee the only way to get to the stadium for most people is to drive and that sure as hell doesn't stop anyone from drinking.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ginette Reno posted:

I went to an Isles game at Barclay a few weeks go and holy gently caress a Soda was like 13$. It was refillable but that was still obscene. I can't even imagine what prices are like for poo poo at a Yankees game.

The cheapest beer (I assume this would be the Bud Light) at Yankees Stadium is apparently right in the middle of the pack for MLB prices, but our hot dogs are among the cheapest!

The Phillies know what's up though, 21 ounces?!

EDIT: Apparently Barclay's is extortionate on concession pricing, even among sports arenas. I've only ever been there once for a concert.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 17, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Good Dog posted:

I've only been to Wrigley once but I remember there basically only being Bud Light, Budweiser or Goose Island as the only beer options, and they weren't cheap.

I went to a Bulls game with my family last month and United Center is the same. At least Goose Island is vaguely drinkable? I do wish they'd expand the selection a bit though. They don't even have the local excuse now that Goose Island is owned by AB InBev.

e. I remember Dodger Stadium having a fantastic selection of local beers. You had literally walk out of the stadium to a concourse behind the bleachers where you couldn't see or hear the game at all to buy it, though.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 17, 2018

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

The cheapest beer (I assume this would be the Bud Light) at Yankees Stadium is apparently right in the middle of the pack for MLB prices, but our hot dogs are among the cheapest!

The Phillies know what's up though, 21 ounces?!

I'm not sure about the accuracy of this chart considering what I remember from recent Pirates games, but maybe I've never bought a 16oz beer? :shrug:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

it would definitely make Nutting look foolish if the majority of the fans were decked out in Cubbie blue.

This already happened every Cubs game anyway if the people I saw wandering around downtown were any indication.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fifty Three posted:

I'm not sure about the accuracy of this chart considering what I remember from recent Pirates games, but maybe I've never bought a 16oz beer? :shrug:

Apparently that chart is 2 years old, whoops.

I don't think the concession prices at Yankee Stadium are very bad, though, as long as you're buying from the stands and not the walking vendors, at the least it's in line with Citi. It's really the ticket prices where you see a big difference from the rest of the league.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Say what you will about the Coliseum (it's a rickety dump and I got sunburn last time I went there) but food and drinks are cheap, you can sit up close to the field, and it's right on the BART/Amtrak line. Lot of fun.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Karbach/St Arnold’s is usually $10-12 for a 16oz at MMP. No idea what Bud etc cost, I refuse to drink that poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem I find with Yankee Stadium is that they leaned heavy into their own history and made the place into a giant museum. And that's fine for like one visit if you're into that history as a fan. But after that you're attending baseball games in some kind of office building. I have the same basic problem with the insides of Camden Yards, although Eutaw Street is great.

That's kind of Yankee Stadium's biggest problem. It doesn't have that thing that gives it personality and can keep you coming back. Old Yankee Stadium was a dump but it had charm in its age. New Yankee Stadium is a clean, pretty, objective improvement that just has very little life.

Food in the Stadium isn't great but there's plenty of good, cheap food you can get outside the stadium that it doesn't bug me. But I can see the problem to visitors who don't know the city well enough to wander a few blocks.

I'm fine with the bleachers though and actually think that's probably the biggest improvement from the old Stadium. The old Stadium had a real class separation thing and if you bought bleacher seats you were effectively quarantined in a hole. Now you can at least buy a ticket wherever you want and then walk to the other side of the stadium to see or eat something you'd like.

Citizen Bank is the perfect stadium. Great food, an open design that keeps you in the game even as you're walking around, tons of great seats and the ability to just watch the game from your feet from anywhere (which is generally how I prefer to watch). I love that drat stadium and will take any excuse to go to Philly for a game and a cheesesteak.

I did a Mets at Wrigley/Yankees at US Cellular double header years ago (back when it was still US Cellular and I was still calling it Comiskey) and I've never seen a drunker collective of fans. Mixing Chicago and New York fans in a day of travel and drinking seems in retrospect like a terrible, terrible idea.

I miss baseball.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 17, 2018

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Fifty Three posted:

My beer prices for a Yuengling Pounder last year were Heinz Field Pens Game > Pirates Game > Pens Game. I think was $10 > $12 > $13. The Pirates cost $1.25 more if you buy them from the roaming vendors. (The Pens/Pirates prices might be reversed.)

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Say what you will about the Coliseum (it's a rickety dump and I got sunburn last time I went there) but food and drinks are cheap, you can sit up close to the field, and it's right on the BART/Amtrak line. Lot of fun.

They give you sodas with no lid/straw, which is how I usually drink mine but I've never seen that done on purpose. O.Co was surprisingly expensive for tickets to an Angels game that was on a Thursday at noon. Taking the BART was fun, especially because the Angels were able to win that day by the tiniest of margins.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nationals Park was cool and convenient to get to when the Metro isn't derailing/catching on fire/both but the best food is going three blocks south and getting a big order of spicy wings at BonChon

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Poque posted:

The Astros were planning for their window during that time though. The Pirates tanked (for twenty years) to be good and then neglected to spend to actually make something of the window they managed to open

The Pirates did not tank for twenty years to be good. Most of the fallow seasons weren't bad enough to get us tank-worthy picks, they were old ownership (Kevin McClatchy) and old front office guys (Cam Bonifay, Dave Littlefield) doing Just Enough to stay completely out of the toilet and appear vaguely "competitive" while never actually making moves that had any chance of real success. Good draft picks like McCutchen, or decent trades (getting Jason Bay and Oliver Perez for Brian Giles) seemed almost accidental, if not antithetical to front office orders.

When the Nuttings bought the team in 2007, they cleared out the front office, appointing Frank Coonelly as President and hiring Neal Huntington as GM. Immediately, they started making moves with a lot more recognizable purpose than their predecessors. Not all of them were successful, but at least there was seemingly some kind of plan in place. Eventually, things panned out and we had a very strong core of players and just enough help to get over the hump, post the first winning season in 20 years, and actually make the postseason. The next season was a regression, but still a postseason shot cut short by the Giants. The next year, the Pirates made some savvy moves (including their biggest ever international splash in the rookie sensation Jung-Ho Kang), posted 98 wins in a ridiculously tough division, but got bounced by the loving Cubs.

After that, it seemed like the front office realized that the Cubs were here to stay, and that it wasn't even worth trying to improve to take them on. They called 2016 a "bridge year" and traded clubhouse leader Neil Walker for Jon loving Niese, then traded Niese BACK to the Mets later that season. They uncovered a diamond in J.A. Happ in 2015, then let him walk for nothing, and he's still putting up above-average numbers in Toronto. Andrew McCutchen touched the ball from Space Jam and lost all his athletic abilities.

Last year, they again made no real moves outside of miraculously tricking Ivan Nova into re-signing. They did dangle the suddenly valueless McCutchen all offseason, which made everyone very upset, Cutch included. Instead, our dipshit rapist drunk driving rear end in a top hat of a star third baseman got revealed as a dipshit rapist drunk driving rear end in a top hat and was banished to Korea, and our dipshit steroid-using star outfielder got caught and suspended for half the season. Cutch briefly got back some of his mojo, which is why we were able to get a middling reliever for him, praise Jesus.

Now, the axe has finally fallen. The window has slammed shut at the speed of light, fusing itself closed into the window frame on a molecular level. The front office, once able to articulate a vision under the tight pursestrings of the ownership, has started making moves like a confused septuagenarian running somebody else's garage sale. They offer platitudes about competing within the system, while gutting the soul of the team for a bevy of Decent Relief Pitchers. Passing on a well-regarded prospect and 2 medium guys for FOUR medium guys is an uncanny impression of GMs past.

The sickening feeling about all of this isn't losing Cole, or not getting top talent, or even losing our favorite son Andrew McCutchen (PBUH), it's that we've all heard this song before, and we thought we'd never hear this leadership sing it quite so clearly.

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

They give you sodas with no lid/straw, which is how I usually drink mine but I've never seen that done on purpose.

Doesn't every live venue do this? It's to keep you from being able to easily throw a "sealed" container at the field/stage.

EDIT: Although I guess a lot of places will still give you a can (even if they open it for you) so I don't even know anymore.

• Locked thread