Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Koramei posted:

Age of Empires 2 civilizations

Needs to be updated for the DE civs.

fake edit: woop

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I slipped in an updated version :eng101:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Feels like there's a good chance one of you nerds here would know what I'm talking about. A while ago I read an article on the different ways how new territories in the US were surveyed and parcels divided, which lead to those areas looking distinct to this day because the way land was divided often persisted to this day. Any ideas? My googling fails completely here.

I vaguely remember something like this too, but the closest I can find is a few posts around this page:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3531615&pagenumber=1448&perpage=40#post500379009

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Feels like there's a good chance one of you nerds here would know what I'm talking about. A while ago I read an article on the different ways how new territories in the US were surveyed and parcels divided, which lead to those areas looking distinct to this day because the way land was divided often persisted to this day. Any ideas? My googling fails completely here.

maybe you are thinking of the homesteading act and how it effected parcel layout, or possibly a slightly different but similar process that playing out in the old northwest (now the midwest)? I'm not going to post about that because i only kind of remember, but i was looking at images of the US Canadian border and i was wondering if the different pattern was a result of that initial land distribution or subsequent differences in the law and economy

https://earth.google.com/web/search/St.+Clair,+michigan/@42.83237695,-82.4937174,185a,1028470d

So here we can see the border across the St Clair river between Michigan and the USA on the left, and Canada on the right. I really have no idea why canada's side looks so tidy, and America's messy. If you zoom in it seems like the forest vs row crop area is managed differently, so I wonder if there are differences in land use regulations at play?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

This is honestly the closest thing I can think of an I'm betting it was based on some book or something

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772281/

e: https://www.amazon.com/How-States-Got-Their-Shapes/dp/0061431397

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

maybe you are thinking of the homesteading act and how it effected parcel layout, or possibly a slightly different but similar process that playing out in the old northwest (now the midwest)? I'm not going to post about that because i only kind of remember, but i was looking at images of the US Canadian border and i was wondering if the different pattern was a result of that initial land distribution or subsequent differences in the law and economy

https://earth.google.com/web/search/St.+Clair,+michigan/@42.83237695,-82.4937174,185a,1028470d

So here we can see the border across the St Clair river between Michigan and the USA on the left, and Canada on the right. I really have no idea why canada's side looks so tidy, and America's messy. If you zoom in it seems like the forest vs row crop area is managed differently, so I wonder if there are differences in land use regulations at play?

on the american side, it looks like there's less agriculture than on the canadian side. road frontage has been chopped up and subdivided into residential lots, and this is one of the first steps in the process of suburbanizing farmland. i'm guessing it's due to the relative proximity of the detroit job market (between .5-1hr travel time away) such that the american side of the river is functionally an exurb of a major metro. just across the river in canada, there's no cities of significant enough size nearby to generate suburban/exurban pressure here, so it remains farmland, albeit not exactly the middle of nowhere rural

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well I just can't wrap my mind around that

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Türkiye küçük bir ülke değil

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Two posts. I'm proud of you, thread.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't know why I even bothered google translating it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Please give them turkish flag

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks all, I think this is the closest to what I had in mind. It might've been these exact posts that I put together into an article in my head even.

Jaguars! posted:

I vaguely remember something like this too, but the closest I can find is a few posts around this page:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3531615&pagenumber=1448&perpage=40#post500379009

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

ugh basé napoléon et la grande france ce qui aurait pu être si seulement ce n'était pas pour l'albion perfide

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PawParole fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 11, 2020

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

PawParole posted:

gentleposters, I submit to you, greatest France.

I'm trying to imagine a world where one country gets all of france, northern italy, the rich parts of germany, and switzerland. Would there be a need for the EU then?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ASAPRockySituation posted:

I'm trying to imagine a world where one country gets all of france, northern italy, the rich parts of germany, and switzerland. Would there be a need for the EU then?

yes, because the larger the market, the more potential buyers.

but you have a good point

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Sweden still has a French king but is supposedly not a natural part of France?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kings aren't natural.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Too bad the resolution is so crappy that you have to strain your eyes to read the jokes.

Roncevaux Pass: Navarre forget.

A France without Croats is a France without neckties.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PawParole posted:

gentleposters, I submit to you, greatest France.

Needs an inset with French Guiana

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Needs an inset with French Guiana

these are the natural borders of France. the unnatural borders of France have a few more continents inside of them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Please give them turkish flag

It currently has Ohio's flag.

I know this because I started playing World Geography for Android again:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.age.wgg.appspot&hl=en_US

At first I despised the US with its 30 nearly-identical blue state flags, but now I've come to embrace it. Come at me. Oceania and the Caribbean, too, I don't care how many tiny island nations you throw at me. I've sworn a solemn oath that I will reach the top 5,000 of map nerds one day, or die trying.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Then immediately below, Antwerp is covid Mordor

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Trickle up economics?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

How are u posted:

Maps are very interesting, while flags are only a little bit interesting (excepting cool flags like pirate flags, naturally).

Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/withoutaplain/status/1287199869170581510

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This flag is amazing, though?

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Phlegmish posted:

It currently has Ohio's flag.

I know this because I started playing World Geography for Android again:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.age.wgg.appspot&hl=en_US

At first I despised the US with its 30 nearly-identical blue state flags, but now I've come to embrace it. Come at me. Oceania and the Caribbean, too, I don't care how many tiny island nations you throw at me. I've sworn a solemn oath that I will reach the top 5,000 of map nerds one day, or die trying.

Been playing since this game first got recommended here and I hit the top 100 a few months ago.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

This flag is amazing, though?

Yeah Sin Vega is a big fat idiot.

e:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Banana Canada posted:

Been playing since this game first got recommended here and I hit the top 100 a few months ago.

:vince:

gently caress you, I was going to brag about being about to break into the top 70,000. Do you have any tips for us newbies??

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
TIL that Arnhem is the most power metal of all cities.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

:vince:

gently caress you, I was going to brag about being about to break into the top 70,000. Do you have any tips for us newbies??

The game is well designed in its progression from multiple-choice to free-input answers. If you stick with it and unlock all the levels you will, by the end of it, have all the categories mostly memorised. Developing your own mnemonics or finding commonalities between similar countries/sub-national territories help a lot. Let me know if you have any specific categories that you find you are having trouble with.

Flag are probably the easiest category to get to near-100% accuracy given that the purpose of flags is to evoke a recall of the country it symbolises. But I'll take the opportunity to call out Nebraska as having the blandest and least-memorable flag in the world. All the middle eastern flags? No problem. Central american flags? No sweat now. Russian oblasts and Thai provinces? Got them memorised after a few weeks of their release into the game. Nebraska? I just got it wrong again in the game despite 3 years of playing and seeing the flag innumerable times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nebraska's flag should have a square cut out in the bottom left quarter to make it more memorable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Banana Canada posted:

I'll take the opportunity to call out Nebraska as having the blandest and least-memorable flag in the world. All the middle eastern flags? No problem. Central american flags? No sweat now. Russian oblasts and Thai provinces? Got them memorised after a few weeks of their release into the game. Nebraska? I just got it wrong again in the game despite 3 years of playing and seeing the flag innumerable times.

But it's written "State of Nebraska" on it...

Also lol:

quote:

In 2017, State Senator Burke Harr proposed a task force charged with redesigning the flag, citing the fact that the flag had flown upside down at the capitol for 10 days with no one noticing.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 12, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
That just proves nobody gives a poo poo about flags.

Now maps on the other hand...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Also lol:

How the heck do flags work in America? Because if I clip in a flag on the rope upside-down it'll be very noticeable since the lower bit of cord attached to the flag itself is much longer than the upper one.

e: Actually, looking at pics on Google that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I guess someone realized you don't need to do that and it doesn't make sense for a vertically symmetrical flag to have asymmetrical mounting. Every flag I've ever hoisted did, though, but I haven't done that since 1998.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 12, 2020

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Nebraska's flag should have a square cut out in the bottom left quarter to make it more memorable.

A flag shan't be a map...but this is cheeky enough they should do it.

Cat Mattress posted:

Also lol:

The game removes the name of the region if it is written on the flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Banana Canada posted:

The game removes the name of the region if it is written on the flag.

That's cheating!

Do they also remove the map if there's one (Cyprus, Kosovo)?