Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

These are my favorite glasses and I recommend them to everyone:

https://www.amazon.com/Duralex-France-Picardie-4-Ounce-Tumbler/dp/B0017LR21Q

(I have a set of the 12oz and 17oz tumblers, but they come in a range of sizes so be careful which you select).

I've had my oldest set of them for about 7 years/4 moves. The set I bought last year is the same quality. They've been whacked countless times against sink faucets and handled by clumsy roommates, used for hot and cold liquids, and still look new. They're sturdy, but have a nice classic design.

They're the only glasses I own and I don't think I'll get any others unless the quality of these plummet, but I don't see these breaking any time soon.

(Seriously I love these stupid glasses)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Duralex is loving unbreakable and you can put that poo poo in the oven as well. I love it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I really prefer the plain glasses without the ridges but I will get the Duralex brand. Probably a good call on the plain white, I can see that being more convenient. New plan:

Duralex Unie Glass Tumblers (6): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PAH134U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Corelle Livingware Frost White (Service for 6): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R790CLY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
You and I have similar taste in glassware.

I've got these on pricewatch on camelcamelcamel
https://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Bodega-Tumbler-Glasses/dp/B000PGB9PE
https://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Bodega-Tumbler-Glasses/dp/B000WABA0W
https://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Bodega-Tumbler-Glasses/dp/B000PG9BZO

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

Does anybody have a recommendation for good brands? My initial thoughts were:
My drinking glasses are 16oz pint glasses:
https://smile.amazon.com/International-Luminarc-Beer-Glass-16-Ounce/dp/B009ZRTNY8/

They are cheaper in person from any restaurant supply store or Costco or BBB or whatever. Over the years I have picked some up from vacation spots and the like, with printing on them. They're durable (hard to break) and if you bust one it's REAL easy to find a replacement.

My plates are these:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...te+square+plate

I have matching bowls (some big, some small) and salad plates. White goes with everything and ages well. It's easy to dress up a table with napkins and flowers and vases and stuff, and next year when it's out of style the white plates go with whatever is in.

Dishes, IMHO, are an in-person decision - not online. And I buy everything online. But I wanna see my dishes and hold them before I buy them.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
How come the majority of flatware dinnerware sets come with four of those dinky little mugs. Does anybody use those things?

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 2, 2017

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah they're dumb, one of my requirements for a set is that it not come with 4-8 bland basic mugs. Mug collections are built with souvenirs and novelty gifts, not matching sets to your place settings.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Human Tornada posted:

How come the majority of flatware dinnerware sets come with four of those dinky little mugs. Does anybody use those things?
I used them

to feel warm and fuzzy for two seconds about donating them to goodwill.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I use them

to drain cooking oil in when I'm cooking

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
I will fully admit I buy whatever poo poo the sweethome recommends, but I like the Williams Sonoma open kitchenware stuff I've got based on the sweethome's recommendation. Very basic, very functional and no issues with any of it so far.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My roommate and I had a breaker trip three times tonight. After the first time, I shut off one of the two fans I had plugged into that circuit. After the second time, I had my roommate move his fan to a different circuit. After the third time, I moved my computer, two monitors, and the one fan I had on still onto the bathroom circuit.

We have had both computers on repeatedly without any issue, and all of a sudden with just a computer and a PS4, it's a problem; I could maybe understand the fans, but they had been on for several days before this happened. As far as I can tell, we aren't sharing a breaker with any of our neighbors (the breaker box is in my bedroom, and well-labeled). Aside from a bad device (likely culprit for this is either the new fan in my bedroom, or my computer), is there any reason this would all of a sudden be happening? It's substantially hotter than normal, but we don't have air conditioning; the weather by itself shouldn't be affecting anything, right? It's only when appliances work overtime that they should cause an issue, right?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A breaker trips when the circuit pulls more power than the breaker is rated for, this has two purposes: Protect against short-circuits as a specific problem, and protect against pulling more power than the wiring is designed for as the general problem. Either could lead to overheating in the wiring, setting the house on fire.

Since you weren't changing the circuit load when it happened, either one of the devices hooked up must be failing (with intermittent internal short-circuits), or the wiring installation is damaged somewhere. It could be mice chewing on the cables.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Fun electrical engineering fact: high temps increase resistance (or impedance in your case).

Does this matter? Nope. But still fun.

Does the breaker trip with nothing plugged in?

Does moving the suspect appliances to another breaker change anything?

You mentioned a bedroom, are these arc-fault breakers? (i.e. do they have a little blue or yellow test button on them below the main button)

Breakers can go bad, for what it's worth. But a dying appliance is usually the culprit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Unload My Head posted:

Fun electrical engineering fact: high temps increase resistance (or impedance in your case).

Does this matter? Nope. But still fun.

Does the breaker trip with nothing plugged in?

Does moving the suspect appliances to another breaker change anything?

You mentioned a bedroom, are these arc-fault breakers? (i.e. do they have a little blue or yellow test button on them below the main button)

Breakers can go bad, for what it's worth. But a dying appliance is usually the culprit.
The breaker hasn't tripped since I plugged my surge protector in in the bathroom. The only "appliances" on this circuit in our apartment are computers, the TV, and the PS4 (I don't know if those count as "appliances" or not). And it is an arc-fault breaker (only the one that's been tripping, the rest are normal breakers).

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Arc faults are notorious for nuisance tripping, especially the Siemens models which are super sensitive IME.

They will also have phantom issues because something as minor as a slightly unplugged socket will cause a trip. I have also seen cheap appliances with electric motors (like say, a Chinese fan from WalMart) cause initial tripping and then stop, presumably because something in the fan was arcing and then heated up enough or burned away or whatever.

For technical purposes anything plugged into an outlet is an 'appliance'.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Unload My Head posted:

Arc faults are notorious for nuisance tripping, especially the Siemens models which are super sensitive IME.

They will also have phantom issues because something as minor as a slightly unplugged socket will cause a trip. I have also seen cheap appliances with electric motors (like say, a Chinese fan from WalMart) cause initial tripping and then stop, presumably because something in the fan was arcing and then heated up enough or burned away or whatever.

For technical purposes anything plugged into an outlet is an 'appliance'.
I'll have you know that these are Sweethome-recommended Amazon Chinese fans.

Whether it was the fan or everything else, though, it seems to have stopped with my poo poo on the bathroom circuit. Thanks for the info.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I live in a fairly small apartment complex with about 10 units. Apparently I am the only one who brings their mail inside, sorts it, and disposes of junk properly like a normal person. Everybody else dumps everything on top of the mailbox. I have never caught anyone in the act but can clearly see that the majority of people here are leaving their trash on the mailbox based on the amount present.

We used to have an apartment manager who lived on-site and I suppose he would be the one who cleaned it out before, but now he's gone and it's become a permanent mess. It shouldn't have been his job to clean this up in the first place, but here we are.

What do I do in this situation? I have sent an email to the apartment management company but with no physical presence here I don't know what will come of it. Aside from that I feel like I'm left only with extremely passive aggressive options like leaving a note reminding everyone they are adults and should throw away their garbage as such, or take it one step further and just throw all of their poo poo in the hallway.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The other option would be not taking it upon yourself.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Is it a fire hazard? Is something in there attracting pests? If no, I say this isn't your mess to clean up.

That said, are there no maintenance people in your complex? In every place I've lived one would come through and vacuum the halls/throw out junk mail littering the mail area/etc every once in a while. The 'throw out junk mail' part was important because I've never lived somewhere where everyone took their mail inside their apartment and disposed of it like a normal person. If there was nobody picking up after the lazy people, eventually the junk mail situation would be as bad as it is at your place.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

It's not really a danger to my health or anything, but I can't send any outgoing mail which is a major pain in the rear end. In general it's mostly a nuisance since it gets blown in to our pool or fills the entryway with garbage.

We used to have an on-site manager but they moved away a few months ago. There's specialized maintenance crews like a pool cleaner and landscapers but nobody shows up for general upkeep. I'm aware that "deal with it" is an option -- that's what I've done for two years and will most likely continue to do since this is super low on the list of possible shared-housing grievances. I'm just curious if anyone has any better advice because it would be nice to have a home that isn't covered in trash all the time.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You could put a trashcan next to the mailbox.

You could set something on top of the mailbox that is big enough to preclude the setting of mail on the mail box.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We have two trashcans next to the mailboxes, because humans en masse really aren't going to carry junk mail they didn't want up to their apartments and then carry it back down the next day. This is one of those things you can fight hard to little effect for years, or you can just go in with an understanding of human nature.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

We have two trashcans next to the mailboxes, because humans en masse really aren't going to carry junk mail they didn't want up to their apartments and then carry it back down the next day. This is one of those things you can fight hard to little effect for years, or you can just go in with an understanding of human nature.
It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat who does this, and this is exactly why. Put a goddamn recycle bin down there, dammit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah we never had mail pileup because of a convenient trash can. Feel free to call people assholes if they ignore that and just dump it still, though.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, my current place has a recycle bin. My place before didn't, it had just an overflow bin for stuff too big to fit, and it filled with junk. So yeah, you need a recycle bin. But you also need someone to empty it.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Is it a fire hazard? Is something in there attracting pests? If no, I say this isn't your mess to clean up.

Wouldn't be the OP's responsibility even if it was.

To the OP: get some pictures of the mess on a day when it's particularly bad, then send a nice email to your management company saying:

*former manager* used to clean this up but now it's been piling up since they left. Please provide a can. kthanksbye.

Also, stop cleaning it up for fucks sake. That will only enable lovely tenants and lovely management.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
comedy option:

hand deliver everything to people's doors yourself. dump it on the floor so they can't ignore it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
in other news:

moving loving sucks

Movers were the best $800 I ever spent in my life. What took them 3 hours would've taken me two days. Figuring out where all the poo poo goes because my girlfriend is a borderline hoarder? Well, money can't fix that.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
How do I get Comcast to just give me what I signed up for? I signed up online for some HBO + internet + free installation deal.

I got some sort of generic email from them saying thanks, and we may need to call you later to confirm some details. Of course they call on a Saturday when I'm driving and can't take a call. So I call them back later and after 20 minutes of hold time, they say that they have no record of my order even though they charged me a $100 deposit.

I walk them through what I ordered, and tell them the date I'm moving in, and they tell me that it's all set.

When the tech shows up, he sets up the equipment, but there's no HBO. He tells me that if -he- adds it, it would show up on my bill as an extra charge, so I should call in. I do, and the guy is super friendly. Tells me he found my deal, and he updates my account.

My first bill was sent apparently before they make the change. The price is correct, but they charge me $60 for installation. So I call in, and they tell me they'll credit my account and I'll see it on my next bill.

My next bill shows up after the change and I'm being charged an extra $30 for the package, another $30 retroactively for the previous month, and still haven't gotten my installation fee credit. So I call in again, and they tell me it's fixed and I'll see it on my next bill.

Now I've gotten another bill and literally nothing changed. In total now I've been overcharged by $150 for a $60 per month package.

Today I've called in 3 times, and was hung up on 3 times. Does them fixing me hurt their metrics or something? How do I get this fixed?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: Comcast does what Comcast wants, just cancel it and get an antenna.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
If I could get decent internet from anyone else, I'd cancel in seconds.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm a landlord and over 20 years of adulthood I have dealt with various utilities hundreds of times. Maybe 5 times I've gotten to a stalemate where I was clearly right and they were clearly wrong and yet they wouldn't do anything about it. Each of those times I have said something along the lines of "can you give me the number to the public utilities commission? I think I might have to escalate this." Each time, the next voice I heard said "General Managers office" and my problem was quickly and fairly solved. I don't know if this would work for you or not, but it would be my next move. My move after that would be to actually call the PUC.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

photomikey posted:

I'm a landlord and over 20 years of adulthood I have dealt with various utilities hundreds of times. Maybe 5 times I've gotten to a stalemate where I was clearly right and they were clearly wrong and yet they wouldn't do anything about it. Each of those times I have said something along the lines of "can you give me the number to the public utilities commission? I think I might have to escalate this." Each time, the next voice I heard said "General Managers office" and my problem was quickly and fairly solved. I don't know if this would work for you or not, but it would be my next move. My move after that would be to actually call the PUC.

were any of those utilities comcast?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
No, so my advice has absolutely no bearing on this public utility that answers to the PUC, please disregard it in its entirety.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

photomikey posted:

No, so my advice has absolutely no bearing on this public utility that answers to the PUC, please disregard it in its entirety.

Consider it done!

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The only thing you can do with Comcast is find some sort of satisfaction survey that directly connects your comments to your account and continually answer the lowest scores and give clarity in your long responses as to why. Especially if they ask to do a survey after calling someone, the scores are tied to their bonuses or salary, which means they may actually follow up with you to help rectify the issue.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Though it's also entirely possible that it will only result in the underpaid support drone forced to read from a script to you getting fired and absolutely nothing being done about your issues.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hailthefish posted:

Though it's also entirely possible that it will only result in the underpaid support drone forced to read from a script to you getting fired and absolutely nothing being done about your issues.

Exactly. Demand escalation to a supervisor if you want something to [maybe] get done.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
What's the most comfortable office chair available in the sub $500? I'm a medical student and I'm building a study room.

EDIT: It looks like I really have to adjust my expectations about price for a comfortable chair for long-duration sitting

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
In general you don't want to cheap out too hard on anything you'll be sitting or sleeping on regularly.

That aside, it's a good idea to sit on your chair of choice in person(if possible) before buying, and to do so for more than ten seconds. Reviews can tell you a lot but they can't guarantee a given chair will be comfortable for your specific posture & build.

(No specific recommendations from me, because my computer/office chair is a Steelcase chair older than I am & also probably costs more than $500 for a modern equivalent.)