Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Millions of Hylians are murdered by undocumented Gerudo every year but FAKE NEWS like CNN doesn't talk about it. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Any Australians know if this is going to be available for purchase/preload tonight?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

axeil posted:

so were all the skyward sword/twilight princess reviews "BEST GAME EVER HOLY poo poo" before release? because it seems that's how all the reviews are trending and i'm getting worrying amounts of hype seeing them all come in. i mean the friggin' kotaku article said the only con was that you can't remap the buttons.

:ohdear:

Yeah except those felt like they got sold on their own hype for the game and showered it with amazing reviews, despite the games had so many flaws. That's why the Gerstmann review was such a topic of contention because up to that point Zelda had been untouchable and now here's a zelda that, while not bad by any means, didn't exactly set the world on fire.

BotW is the change everyone has wanted out of a zelda for so many years.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

People also freaked the gently caress out because the Gamecube version was rated .1 higher, which I'm still not sure was ever explained

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

chaleski posted:

People also freaked the gently caress out because the Gamecube version was rated .1 higher, which I'm still not sure was ever explained

You had camera control and no motion controls so yeah it was better.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You had camera control and no motion controls so yeah it was better.

Couldn't you just plug a Gamecube controller into a Wii?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chaleski posted:

No.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

:psyduck:

That explains it then

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Swinging with the wiimote in TP was cool for like the first hour, and a massive pain after that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

chaleski posted:

You can but that only works in gamecube mode and virtual console.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah except those felt like they got sold on their own hype for the game and showered it with amazing reviews, despite the games had so many flaws. That's why the Gerstmann review was such a topic of contention because up to that point Zelda had been untouchable and now here's a zelda that, while not bad by any means, didn't exactly set the world on fire.

BotW is the change everyone has wanted out of a zelda for so many years.

Here's a nice stroll down memory lane of the 8.8 incident:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/blast-from-the-past-the-crazy-reactions-to-88-523214/

I don't remember the specifics of the review. Parts of that game are wonderful and parts of it are a shlog (playing as Wolf Link, gold bug fetch quests). 8.8 seems reasonable even if I might go a little higher off the strength of the real good parts. But not much higher.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly Twilight Princess probably deserved to be rated lower. This is part of why the reaction to the 8.8 review back in the day is doubly hilarious.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like twilight princess more now than I think I did after I first beat it and the hype wore off. I enjoyed it a lot when I replayed it.

But the wolf parts were kinda sloggy and the weirder stuff being dropped felt like a big disappointment, like the super short cutscene with the three dark links and Zants creepy factor being undermined completely.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I think of Twilight as a refined Ocarina. It was never going to recapture the magic but the dungeon design, combat and story are better. I was a little disappointed when I first played it but I've come to appreciate it more.

But then I also like Skyward Sword and cannot be trusted.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 2, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
TP is a solid 8. For every high it has complete poo poo like Wolf Link and most of the game is just a competent action-adventure game. It has the most dungeons in any 3D Zelda but it also has the most forgettable ones as well.

BotW is just amazing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I know what I'm doing day 1!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/837023399050301441

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Argh, why isn't it Friday yet? :f5:

And does the Wii U version support the Wii U pro controller just in case I don't like playing with the tablet controller?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

spasticColon posted:

And does the Wii U version support the Wii U pro controller just in case I don't like playing with the tablet controller?

Yes. Though apparently some shrines need the tablet for some stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LionArcher posted:

Also, game pad doesn't have extra functions, and pro controller does work!

Nice to have that extra confirmed, I love that controller. Gonna rock this game very soon oh yes!

spasticColon posted:

You bet it does, us Pros are catered to!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cool my Wii U copy is coming Tuesday. Thanks Amazon.

Well at least I'll have time to finish Skyward Sword now. Just got to the Lanayru Sand Sea.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 2, 2017

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Four and a half hours later and it's...... still showing up as available. :raise:

What the gently caress? Yesterday you couldn't get the BotW Special Edition anywhere, today Walmart's had them available for at least an entire afternoon. Something doesn't seem right.

Yeah, still showed as available when I clicked the link. Went ahead and ordered for in store pickup next Wednesday, cause hey if it works it works. Still may run to Best Buy on my lunch break on Friday to see if they have any extra SE's in stock, can always just cancel the walmart one later.

Popped in TPHD and played for a few hours. I'm heading towards Death Mountain, I had found that really nice 100% guide on Zelda Dungeon around when the game came out, so I've just been following that. Obviously not going to be done in time for BotW, might need to peel away from new Zelda for a little bit over the weekend to try and finish what I've started here in TPHD.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 2, 2017

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

havenwaters posted:

Well at least I'll have time to finish Skyward Sword now. Just got to the Lanayru Sand Sea.

That's the best part in the game, and one of the coolest Zelda areas ever

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

havenwaters posted:

Same.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If you've 9gb free on your WiiU and the extra funds you could always cancel your physical copy and download it. I dunno how everyone else's internet is though

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Can it be preloaded? I don't have a LAN adapter (are you serous Nintendo?) and downloading through wifi takes AGES.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My friend got his copy of the Master Edtion. Statue looks great. He confirmed the cartridge taste thing hahaha

e: he hasn't got the switch cause he ordered them from two different places

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Giant Bomb's stuff is up

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review/1900-760/
There's a 1:39 quicklook up there so look out for spoilers

Also Dan gave it 5 stars

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/02/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review-best-of-the-best-6483294/

10/10 on Metro UK

quote:

In Short: The best Zelda there’s ever been, and very possibly the best video game ever made.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/02/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review?read&page=2

IGN? 10/10

quote:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is evocative, exhilarating, and a masterclass in open-world design.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14753500/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review-nintendo-switch-wii-u

Polygon? Also 10/10

quote:

With Breath of the Wild, Zelda feels more vital than it has in decades.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 2, 2017

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
game spot 10/10, essential from eurogamer

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-02-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review_7

Eurogamer review:

quote:

All that has been either swept aside or remade from first principles. It's hard to overstate the courage and conviction with which producer Eiji Aonuma, director Hidemaro Fujibayashi and their team have rewritten their own work, and the size of the risk Nintendo has taken with a beloved property. Breath of the Wild isn't just the most radical departure from the Zelda tradition in its 30-year history, it's the first Nintendo game that feels like it was made in a world where Half-Life 2, Halo, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Skyrim happened. It's inspired by those greats and others, but it doesn't ape them any more than it rests on its own laurels. And if we're talking inspirations, we have to recognise one game above all others, an uncompromising adventure from 1986 that dared to take gaming off the rails, that put a whole world beyond the TV screen and invited the player to explore it: the original Legend of Zelda.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus, this could end up being the best game of all time for real

We're so close guys! :3:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd like to say I'm cautiously optimistic, but seeing all these perfect scores come through is a nice feeling.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminder metacritic exists

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
please don't set your expectations crushingly high, guys

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Reminder metacritic exists

Currently sitting at 98

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Cojawfee posted:

You can but that only works in gamecube mode and virtual console.

Several Wii games supported GameCube controllers, such as Smash Bros. Nintendo just refused to give people the choice and ripped out GC controller support from their Wii ports.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

corn on the cop posted:

please don't set your expectations crushingly high, guys

Move over Hamlet!!!

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

havenwaters posted:

Same thing here, what kind of bitch move is Amazon pulling? I guess I'll be slumming it tomorrow by visiting a brick and mortar.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

snoremac posted:

Move over Hamlet!!!

Citizen Kane?! More like, Bioshock Infinite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY SEE ESS
Sep 12, 2006
For people asking about when you can preload/download for Wii U: I've looked around and there's not a lot of info unfortunately. This person claims to have talked to support and says that there will be a time to preload, they just don't know when https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/5wpgxy/zelda_breath_of_the_wild_preload_for_wii_u/

Also, he is right to suggest looking at this page http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wii-u I saw a button for pre order digital copy (that says the service wasn't available at this time) and now that button seems to be gone. So have fun f5ing that all day.