Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RandallODim posted:

Sunset Boulevard (1950) - I was told I had to put it on my list, so I guess I'm ready for my close-up.

This is still one of my favorites from the thread. It's frequently on TV and I always have to watch a little of it.

The Philadelphia Story - The story takes place mostly on the eve of a wedding. The film has a lot of stars and nearly all of them play dysfunctional, cynical and scoundrelly characters. The rest of the cast come across as a few dunces.

I didn't find too much of it to be funny but the ending was kind of a surprise. I don't have much else to say on this one for some reason.

Academy Award for Best Picture (81/85 completed):

1933 Cavalcade - Some call this the worst Best Picture winner. A 6.2 rating on IMDb kind of backs that up. 5/4/13

1931 Cimarron - It has the lowest IMDb rating (6.0) of any Best Picture winner. 5/10/13

Procrastination (56 completed):

#46 Any Steven Seagal film - I've never seen one of these and I'm not sure where to start. 4/6/13

#58 Yankee Doodle Dandy - Been recommended in the past. 6/12/13

#59 Nashville - It's on a ton of lists. 6/19/13

#60 Giant - Something about Texas. 6/19/13

#61 Brokeback Mountain - The newest Academy Award for Best Director winner that I haven't seen. 6/22/13

new #62 Shane - Another important western. I hear it's similar to Pale Rider. 6/27/13

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

Dr. No - I saw this one ~20 years ago on VHS. I remember most of it but not the ending for some reason. 6/12/13

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - I've seen a couple of the Star Trek films but I should watch them all in chronological order of release I guess. I was a fan of TNG as a kid and probably saw 15-20% of the shows. I revisited the show later and it was still good. I also saw some of the original series from the 60s and I vividly remember Kirk fighting a lizard man. I tried some of the other TV series and couldn't get into them at all. 6/8/13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Ash
Dec 29, 2012

Zogo posted:

Dr. No - I saw this one ~20 years ago on VHS. I remember most of it but not the ending for some reason. 6/12/13

I haven't seen any of the other films on your list, but this is one of my favorite Bond films. I hope you enjoy it!

I've been wanting to join in this thread for a while but finally sat down and made a list today. I'm excited to start!

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc - I really enjoyed Dreyer's Vampyr, and this has a notably high position on the Sight & Sound list. It's also widely considered one of the best films ever by pretty much everyone, as far as I can tell. I've always avoided older films like this, for whatever reason, but I'd like to start watching older, silent films.
2. Tokyo Story - Ditto re: it's placement on the S&S list. I know nothing about it or Ozu, but its another one that I've seen praised by basically everyone and just haven't felt the urge to watch it. Seeing as how I'd like to start working my way through the Sight & Sound list while I've got a lot of time this summer. This, as with Joan of Arc, seems a good place to start.
3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - I'm a huge horror movie fan, but I have not seen this for whatever reason. Probably the last "big" horror film that I haven't seen. Let's remedy that!
4. The Rules of The Game - I need to watch more French cinema.
5. Casablanca - An admittedly HUGE gap for me. My roommate says its the best film ever made (or at least close to it). Is it?
6. The Searchers - I'm pretty unfamiliar with the Western genre, and I've always heard great things about this one (like that it's one of the few Westerns to transcend the genre).
7. L'Avventura - I love Fellini but need to see more Italian stuff. Antonioni is a big-name director that I know absolutely nothing about.
8. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - A Woman Under the Influence blew my mind. This seems like a good follow-up.
9. Manhattan - The only Woody Allen film I've seen is Midnight in Paris. It was pretty good but I didn't think it was worth all the praise. Everyone seems shocked when I say I haven't seen any other Allen and always recommend this or Annie Hall. This is on Netflix, so I'll go with this. Interested to see what the hype is all about.
10. Spartacus - One of two Kubrick films I need to see, with the other being Eyes Wide Shut. I need to finish up his filmography and have been saving this for (close to) last, as it doesn't seem like a "true" Kubrick film based off what I've read about it. Still, I know it was a pretty big deal back in the day, and I'm interested to see how it is compared to his other stuff, as Kubrick is one of my favorites.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Old Ash posted:

5. Casablanca - An admittedly HUGE gap for me. My roommate says its the best film ever made (or at least close to it). Is it?

Sure, it's one of 'em. Let's start you off right in this thread.

Ace in the Hole (1951): I tell ya, this Wilder fella can tell a hell of a story with moving pictures. This film had what I expected from the director with regards to the technical side of its craft; the camera moves the narrative forward dynamically and passionately, offering a plethora of intelligent cinematic flourishes that speak more loudly than the script. For example, Lorraine Minosa's constant attempts to escape her wretched, desolate way of life on the bus are so perfectly realized visually that you don't even have to see her face to know her struggle. Another shot that comes to mind is this wide angle of tourists departing a train and scurrying towards the bustling new town, the view panning across to the left with them, eagerly and frighteningly seeking Chuck Tatum's fabricated notion of "human interest." I'm not sure what's more nightmarish about this film, the mindless, hedonistic masses gathering for fallacious satisfaction, a woman trapped in a life and a marriage that she is powerless to escape, a man whose aspirations of success supercede his morality, or the fact that there's a perfectly decent human being dying in a cave in the midst of all of it. There's a slight drag to the picture early on, and I think Tatum's death at the end was kind of an awkward way to conclude things, but there's so much to love about this movie. 80/100

1. Spirit of the Beehive: I have so very little exposure to Spanish film.

2. The English Patient: Elaine sure didn't like it but then again I don't think I'm on the same page with her about Sack Lunch.

3. My Night at Maud's: I've never seen any Rohmer and he's getting recommended to me enough that I'm willing to at the very least put him on this list now.

4. The Best Years of Our Lives: I go where Myrna goes.

5. The Bad Sleep Well: There's always more Kurosawa, until there isn't, I guess.

6. Faust: I was thinking the other day about how cool I thought Murnau was despite having only seen two of his movies.

7. Harlan County, USA: I was sick the day they showed this in college and I always regretted missing it.

8. La Dolce Vita: Sweet Christ, this is long.

9. The Battle of Algiers: I've neglected this one despite various recommendations from lots of trustworthy folk.

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II (95), City of God (95), Paths of Glory (85), North by Northwest (95), The Bridge on the River Kwai (90), Fanny and Alexander (100), 8 1/2 (85), The Rules of the Game (80), His Girl Friday (75), The Wages of Fear (90), Rashomon (95), Stroszek (90), The French Connection (85), Singin' in the Rain (95), Cries and Whispers (90), Grand Illusion (95), Gaslight (85), Aliens (80), Wild Strawberries (90), Scenes from a Marriage (85), M (75), Tokyo Story (80), Blue Velvet (80), Nashville (90), The Great Dictator (85), Forbidden Planet (100), Satantango (85), The Apartment (70), Shane (85), Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (90), Harakiri (90), Mulholland Dr. (90), The Hidden Fortress (85), Three Colors: Blue (90), Nostalghia (85), Throne of Blood (90), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (90), The Color of Pomegranates (70), Yi Yi (85), The Exterminating Angel (80), L'Atalante (90), Hiroshima mon amour (80), The Double Life of Véronique (95), Ace in the Hole (80)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alright, I got through La Dolce Vita, and got through it is exactly the way I need to phrase this. This was an impossible movie for me. I could tell there were things about it that were brilliant but I couldn’t access them. I had such a hard time paying attention to this film, after each “episode” I pretty much had to consult Wikipedia to tell what was going on. Usually, when I did I realized that I hadn’t, in fact, missed anything, that all that I saw was what was intended. I couldn’t understand a lot of the significance of what I was seeing.

Of course, the film does bring a lot of that to a head at the end when things start to get real, but my goodness was it a chore getting there.

This movie made me feel dumb, or at least not very bright.

Pretty? Yes.

Well acted? Yes

Captivating? Not so sure.

I’m happy I saw it, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I think this probably a movie that you need to want to see to enjoy. If I had to guess, I'll come back to this later and feel differently once I've experienced life a little more.

7/10

I watched another movie…

Let’s talk about Chop Shop. I knew nothing about this film going in, and that is the absolute best way to watch it. If you haven’t seen it, and want to see something that you will probably love, stop reading this and put it on your list.
Otherwise…

What a beautifully candid piece of film. I seriously can’t stop thinking about it. Every detail, every component… they’re all just beautifully executed. The story is compelling and presented with such honesty and care that it becomes more and more
compelling with each passing second.
And when I say that Alejandro Polanco, the child actor charged with playing the protagonist, Ale, is perhaps the best actor I’ve seen over the past ten years, know that is not a compliment I throw around lightly.

He was that good, the movie was that good, and apart from it being a touch obvious at times, it was truly stellar.

If I ever could make a film, this is the sort that I would love to make.

I have to thank Ebert for this one, it was on his list of great movies, that was all I knew going in.

9.5/10

New List

1. The Buddy Holly Story - Apparently, Gary Busey believes that the spirit of Buddy Holly possessed him during the filming of this. I'm interested.

2. Tokyo Story - Another classic I need to see. Don't know much about it.

3. When Harry Met Sally - I'll have what she's having, right?

4. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans - Nicolas Cage

5. The Fall - Heard it's good from a friend, trailer looks pretty.

6. *NEW* Senna *NEW* - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

7. Duck Soup - I still think I'm the biggest source of shame in this thread. This film, and a lot of others that are yet to come often find their way onto first time posters list. Anyway, I've always liked what I've seen of the Marx brothers, never tried a full length film of theirs though.

8. The Man Who Wasn't There - So I've actually seen this, but I hated it. I saw it when I was 16 though, and I was wrong about most things when I was 16. I only really remember the ending, and something about a piano... Anyway, continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens!

9. *NEW*Kelly's Heroes *NEW* - This is a movie I am almost SURE I will love. Old school war films are pretty much my favorite... I don't know why or how I missed this, please pick it for me!

10. Rebecca - Time for more Hitchcock!

67 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singing' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10

Kull, I don't think I could, in good conscience, recommend LDV to you, even though it's the only movie I've seen on your list as I just had a bitch of a time with it. It is indeed that long and if you have any reservations, I'd be cautious.

Actually, you know what? I've seen the Spirit of the Beehive. Think I saw it in a college film course. I don't remember much about it, but I think I liked it, so go with that.

Chili fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 1, 2013

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Chili: I recommend you try the Duck Soup.

As for my list:

1. Gone With the Wind--I've tried watching this a few times, and have seen bits and pieces here and there, but I honestly feel nothing but utter moral revulsion for the premise.

2. The 400 Blows--Really, I haven't seen any of the big New Wave movies, and it's a big, goatse-esque gaping hole in my film-viewing experiences; truthfully I could fill out my 10 with just these, but I should probably start small and grow from there. :downsrim:

3. Chinatown--I've seen the very end once or twice and had no idea how things got to that point, though I've been curious. I just never got around to watching it. Personal opinions regarding Mr. Polanski aside, I understand he generally makes very good movies, and at any rate I still enjoy The Fearless Vampire Killers.

4. M--I liked the other big Fritz Lang movie I've seen (Metropolis), I like Peter Lorre, so why the hell haven't I seen this yet?

5. Manhattan--I'm no stranger to Woody Allen movies, but again, I've never had the opportunity to catch it. It was always on TCM when I was growing up at too late an hour for me to watch.

6. Soylent Green--Perhaps a stretch calling this one a "great movie" that I haven't seen, but really all I know is what the titular substance is made of.

7. Stagecoach--It put John Wayne on the map, and all these years later I still have yet to see what all the hubbub was about.

8. Breakfast at Tiffany's--I've tried watching on several occasions but got too bored every time. Also Moon River is the goddamn blandest song.

9. The General--My only experiences with Buster Keaton have been cameos in Sunset Boulevard and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and I've never had the opportunity to see him in his prime.

10. The Godfather Part II--I've seen the original plenty of times, but only saw an edited-for-TV version of this one once when I was too young to be able to really follow what was going on.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Meaty Ore posted:

1. Gone With the Wind--I've tried watching this a few times, and have seen bits and pieces here and there, but I honestly feel nothing but utter moral revulsion for the premise.

Wait, why?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I've always had the impression that the whole movie was essentially an apology for the South under the Confederacy: painting a picture of the well-heeled upper class in general as the height of civility, where the slaves were treated so well they actually liked being enslaved, and how dare the northern brutes mess up this wonderful little world the beautiful people and their rightful chattel inhabit.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Meaty Ore posted:

I've always had the impression that the whole movie was essentially an apology for the South under the Confederacy: painting a picture of the well-heeled upper class in general as the height of civility, where the slaves were treated so well they actually liked being enslaved, and how dare the northern brutes mess up this wonderful little world the beautiful people and their rightful chattel inhabit.
That's an interesting reading of a film you haven't seen but I'm not sure it's the most plausible one.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's an interesting reading of a film you haven't seen but I'm not sure it's the most plausible one.

Maybe (and probably) not, but as I said, I've seen bits and pieces, and none of it really seemed to give my any other impression.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There's definitely weird racial stuff but the actual story is more like a sort of southern Richard III.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Guess I know how I'll be spending my 4th of July, then. :)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Meaty Ore, take The General, it's one of my favorite movies that I got out of this thread, it's a true gem, enjoy.

Boy was Duck Soup an uncomfortable experience. I’m sure my reservations with the film will be nothing new but I guess I’ll spell them out a bit. And yes, I know this film is old as hell, and what it was doing was probably incredibly revolutionary and groundbreaking… that didn't make it any easier to watch.

The humor is insanely contrived, it may be good, it may be bad, but jesus… All of Groucho’s jokes are set up and packaged so neatly that it just reeks of a writer’s room. Add to that just how incredibly mean this film is. I really couldn’t get over it. George Carlin once said of the Marx Brothers that they were a huge influence on him because they were essentially the first people to turn the trauma towards everyone else. He certainly wasn’t exaggerating. The early scenes with Harpo and Chico are especially incriminating. People are just trying to do basic things and they’re being huge assholes for no real reason.

We laugh at mean things like The Stooges, Abbot and Costello, and even Jackass when they are tormenting one another not the innocent bystanders around them. I respect that this was a new approach, and I won’t deny that these guys had talent, but I think they are greatly outdone by their fellow comedians of the day, both in approach, and raw talent.

I liked when parts of the movie turned into a musical, but I’m not sure what the aim was there. There wasn’t quite enough of it to give the film the feel of a musical which made the few songs feel awkward.

Anyway, certainly a good cinematic experience from a “know your roots” perspective, but I can’t say I got much more out of it, I didn’t laugh once. Also *Harpo pulls a pair of scissors out of his rear end and cuts the review short*

6/10

New List

1. The Buddy Holly Story - Apparently, Gary Busey believes that the spirit of Buddy Holly possessed him during the filming of this. I'm interested.

3. When Harry Met Sally - I'll have what she's having, right?

6. Senna - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

7. *NEW* A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum *NEW* - The Producers is my favorite comedy of all time, and I haven't seen anything else with Zero Mostel.

8. The Man Who Wasn't There - So I've actually seen this, but I hated it. I saw it when I was 16 though, and I was wrong about most things when I was 16. I only really remember the ending, and something about a piano... Anyway, continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens!

9. Kelly's Heroes - This is a movie I am almost SURE I will love. Old school war films are pretty much my favorite... I don't know why or how I missed this, please pick it for me!

67 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singing' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Chili posted:

I respect that this was a new approach, and I won’t deny that these guys had talent, but I think they are greatly outdone by their fellow comedians of the day, both in approach, and raw talent.

You are a monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XoR5oHdhZM

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Chili, random numbers dictate that you watch When Harry Met Sally.

Planet of the Apes is fantastic. Of course I knew the ending beforehand by cultural osmosis, but it still hits hard and you can feel the film building up to it in the final scenes. At times it feels a bit like a Twilight Zone episode, which is probably attributable to Rod Serling writing the early drafts of the script. There was a lot more depth to this than I was expecting based on having seen numerous parodies before. The theme of science vs. faith is still as relevant as ever. Taylor shacking up with a primitive woman who doesn't understand speech seems pretty scummy, though. Overall, I really loved this movie and it's pretty much exactly what sci-fi should be.

Are the sequels any good?

The List:

1. Oklahoma!: I am not big on musicals at all but I live in Oklahoma and have been told that it is some kind of crime against humanity that I haven't seen this.

2. Léon: The Professional: I think this is about an assassin or something.

3. The Conversation: The last John Cazale movie I haven't seen.

4. Cool Hand Luke: I guess society has "failed to communicate" how much I should watch this movie :downsrim:

5. Shane: Another essential western.

6. Trainspotting: A lot of people I know seem to really like this.

7. North Dallas Forty: I've been told that this is the best football movie ever made. I like football and movies.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

9. Miller's Crossing: There's still a few Coen brothers movies I haven't gotten to yet.

NEW 10. The Artist: I saw 10 minutes of this once and rolled my eyes pretty hard at it but I should probably give it another chance.

Watched (35): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter, Rain Man, Chinatown, Glengarry Glen Ross, Patton, Brazil, Casino, Scanners, Black Swan, Superman, Spartacus, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, The Thing, Aguirre The Wrath of God, Badlands, Planet of the Apes

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Check out Shane.

Out of the Past was great noir. Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas are in a lot of great movies.

1) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) - This movie always reminds me of Can Mr. Smith Get to Washington Anymore?, a self-righteous documentary by one of the "little guys" who, a while after the documentary was made, was convicted for violating federal election law and lying about it. So hopefully Jimmy Stewart won't be as much of a letdown.

2) His Girl Friday (1940) - Is this anything my like My Man Godfrey?

3) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

4) Stalker (1979) - As of adding this entry I have two Tarkovsky movies on the list. Endless shame etc.

5) Body Heat (1981) - I want to see some Lawrence Kasdan that isn't Lucas-related.

6) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

7) Amores Perros (2000) - When I was in college, one of my roommates watched this with some friends of ours. I was nearby but not paying attention (I had headphones on) but afterwards I caught their reaction - our friends sounded uncomfortable by what they had just seen, and my roommate thought it was pretty good. My roommate has good taste and likes weird stuff, and these friends are ones that don't really go for the more out-there stuff, so on the off chance I dislike this at least it will potentially be interesting.

8) Almost Famous (2000) - I think this is about teenagers or something.

9) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - I've seen... two? Romanian films and enjoyed them both, so based on statistic extrapolation, I will enjoy every Romanian film.

10) Waltz with Bashir (2008) - I've heard good stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (76), Boyz n the Hood (76), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 2, 2013

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

OK, that was very good. It wasn't in the movie.

Also, I've heard before that Harpo was the brains behind the entire operation, which I find to be pretty cool.

I'm not saying they weren't talented, I'm saying as for that vaudevillian type of act, I had seen better.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The only other Planet of the Apes film I saw was Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and it was really good. It's been met with with general goon approval as well. It's not the same kind of movie, but it is a very well done film, and Andy Serkis is incredible. It does also raise some questions, but nothing as punchy as the original. It's worth a check though, it's enjoyable if nothing else.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Tycho, I have not seen very many Romanian films but 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days is definitely the best I have. (It might be the only one I've seen though, but it's really loving good. And depressing.)

So Jules and Jim grew on me as it went along. I enjoyed the first 10 minutes but started to get annoyed with the characters very quickly. However, after WWI and the movie changes tone I actually enjoyed it much more, although I had some distractions while watching it that may have prevented me from getting into it as much as I could have. I normally don't get angry at a movie for a character making stupid decisions but I was getting really pissed off with Jim at the end. He seemed to be pretty adamant that he was done with Catherine but kept going back. The thing is I didn't get any sense of desperation, I felt like he was just going because he was thinking "maybe we can just be friends again and it'll be fun" which makes sense until she tried to kill him. Still, I liked the progression and growth the characters go through, although it's nowhere near The 400 Blows, which is the only other Truffaut I've seen.

My List:

L'Age D'or (1930) - Some early Bunuel. I think Dali was involved with this too so I'm on board. (Added 3/11/2013)

The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - I should probably go for a classic western given the discussion, but I'm gonna go with a different John Ford film. (Added 3/15/2013)

Tokyo Story (1953) - Highest on the TSPDT Top 1000 that I haven't seen. Make me cry, Ozu! (Added 4/24/2013)

Stroszek (1977) - Dedicating a spot to all the films that I own on DVD but still haven't seen. Picked up the Anchor Bay Herzog sets awhile ago and I still haven't watched all of them. (Added 5/1/2013)

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) - I use Criticker's "remembered films" tool and my list has grown to over 200 movies. Going to try and start chipping into it from the ones that have been there the longest. I have no idea what this is about but I've heard great things. (Added 5/17/2013)

Gone With the Wind (1939) - I always forget about this one for some reason. Also it's four hours long. (Added 5/25/2013)

My Darling Clementine (1946) - Trying to see more John Ford. (Added 6/20/2013)

Barry Lyndon (1975) - A Kubrick I haven't seen. I also own it and need to chip away at that pile of unwatched DVDs faster. (Added 6/25/2013)

Faust (1926) - I'm going to keep a slot for silent films on my list, and Murnau has been one of my favorite silent directors making two of my favorites (The Last Laugh and Sunrise). This one looks good and eerie. (Added 6/26/2013)

The Goddess (1934) - I've been watching The Story of Film: An Odyssey and it does a good job at bringing light to some foreign classics that have been almost entirely ignored by the West. I've never seen a Chinese film from this era and it apparently has some early naturalistic film acting. (Added 7/3/2013)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Marat/Sade; His Girl Friday; A Woman Under the Influence; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Rio Bravo; Triumph of the Will; Titanic; Strike; The General; Jules et Jim (TOTAL: 59)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Go with Tokyo Story, I hear it's supposed to be pretty great and it's on my list as well.

Ok, so I really liked Harry Met Sally, but I can totally see how some people have to hate it. It’s basically a Woody Allen film, just not quite as good. I was raised Jewish and was surrounded by plenty of nebbishy Jewish friends and realtives, so I was very well primed for this movie. Lord knows I still to this day have friends who talk like Harry.

Anyway, apart from that, I thought it was a pretty decent love story, bit by the books, but I liked that it spanned over a decent stretch of time and showed us two people who weren’t ready for each other and how they get there.

Apart from that, the weight and bulk of the film is on dialogue, I can’t even recall where most of the scenes were or many of the other plot points, it’s just dialogue. Crystal and Ryan had a good rapport and sold me, for the most part.

While I did enjoy the dialogue, I was left wanting more. I’m not generally one to dive into films that are billed as “romances”, I usually need something else to sink my teeth into, like with the questions about relationships raised in Eternal Sunshine, or the backdrop of The General.

That doesn’t make Harry Met Sally bad for not having much else, but just a little shallow of an experience for me.

Still good.

8/10

New List

3. *NEW* The Thing *NEW* - All I know is that it's John Carpenter and that it's a lot of fun.

6. Senna - Heard this about some car jesus that everyone in the world reveres outside of the USA.

7. A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum - The Producers is my favorite comedy of all time, and I haven't seen anything else with Zero Mostel.

9. Kelly's Heroes - This is a movie I am almost SURE I will love. Old school war films are pretty much my favorite... I don't know why or how I missed this, please pick it for me!

67 Total De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singing' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10
[/quote]

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Try Tokyo Story on for size.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days was really good. One of the most affecting parts was the ending - the two women sitting in the restaurant, and then at one point it becomes apparent that we are seeing them from the street, because headlights start reflecting in the window and we hear the sounds of the cars as they drive by. Already the process of distancing themselves from the events of the day has begun, but at the same time the intrusion of society into their lives is pointed out for one last time. They're visible to the entirety of the outside world through that glass, and we can see it all, just like we've seen everything so far. The hand held camera, lack of any soundtrack, and complete absence of anything even remotely preachy or judgmental was great too. The film really succeeds in capturing just what's there and making it feel like what we want it to feel like.

1) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) - This movie always reminds me of Can Mr. Smith Get to Washington Anymore?, a self-righteous documentary by one of the "little guys" who, a while after the documentary was made, was convicted for violating federal election law and lying about it. So hopefully Jimmy Stewart won't be as much of a letdown.

3) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

4) The 400 Blows (1959) - This is probably in the top 10 "films usually cited as the greatest films" that I haven't seen. I know nothing about it either.

5) Stalker (1979) - As of adding this entry I have two Tarkovsky movies on the list. Endless shame etc.

6) Body Heat (1981) - I want to see some Lawrence Kasdan that isn't Lucas-related.

7) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

8) Amores Perros (2000) - When I was in college, one of my roommates watched this with some friends of ours. I was nearby but not paying attention (I had headphones on) but afterwards I caught their reaction - our friends sounded uncomfortable by what they had just seen, and my roommate thought it was pretty good. My roommate has good taste and likes weird stuff, and these friends are ones that don't really go for the more out-there stuff, so on the off chance I dislike this at least it will potentially be interesting.

9) Almost Famous (2000) - I think this is about teenagers or something.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (76), Boyz n the Hood (76), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse

Oh my god this movie owns bones. I've only seen two films by Lang now, this and M, and apparently one came right after the other. I can see the similarities - the crosscut conversations (and really amusing match cuts), the crime-cop back-and-forth, the detailed way the investigations play out - but there's something almost pop-art about Mabuse. It's got a freewheeling pulpy feel, almost as if it were adapted from a comic book, with this big cast of distinct characters that get into situations that play like isolated vignettes that just happen to be linked together and intercut. Except for a lull right before the last act it's insanely entertaining, even if the separate elements take a while to come together (the first, like, twenty minutes is really confusing). There's also a fun pop-art style to the cinematography. Obviously Fritz Lang and expressionism go pretty hand in hand but then you get stuff like the car chase at the end and the really terrifying bug-eyed ghost of Mabuse that give the film a huge boost of energy, which is necessary for a lot of the police procedural scenes. I mean, seriously, look at this:

It's great. It's like Manhunter circa 1933.

10/10

this list is as shameful as michael fassbender's penis

1) Weekend - Traffic jams, cannibals, and something about the language of cinema?

2) The River - I know almost nothing of Jean Renoir.

3) The Naked City - noir, noir, apple

4) Stray Dog - More modern-day Kurosawa can't be a bad thing.

5) Scream - The call is coming from inside the house. Or whatever. This movie is old, man.

6) Dogtooth - Black comedy about an isolated family?

7) Four Lions - I love black comedy, the blacker the better.

8) The Sacrifice - A merry fellow he was, that Tarkovsky.

9) La Haine - This seems like something I should be obligated to see.

10) Night And Fog - uh oh

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection 9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot 8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are 7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10, Seven Samurai 10/10, Rashomon 9/10, The Godfather: Part II 10/10, La Dolce Vita 10/10, The Princess Bride 9/10, Bringing Up Baby 7/10, City Lights 9/10, Baraka 7/10, Au revior les enfants 8/10, Bonnie And Clyde 6.5, Hiroshima mon amour 8/10, Lost In Translation 10/10, The Piano 8/10, La Strada 7/10, Safety Last! 10/10 Vivre sa vie 9/10, Band Of Outsiders 8/10, Diary Of A Country Priest 7/10, Mommie Dearest 8/10, Once Upon A Time In The West 10/10, L'Atalante 7/10, All About My Mother 7/10, Shoot The Piano Player 8/10, Faces 10/10, The Passion Of Joan Of Arc 10/10, The Wild Bunch 6/10, Harold And Maude see my review, Pink Flamingos 8/10, Heat 10/10, Raising Arizona 7/10, L'Avventura 2/10, Atlantic City 9/10, The Magic Flute 9/10, Cleo From 5 To 7 9/10, Down By Law 10/10, Hoop Dreams 10/10, 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her ¿8/10?, La jetée 9/10, Night Of The Living Dead 9/10, Cool Hand Luke 6/10, Pather Panchali 10/10, The Terminator 6/10, The Trial 10/10, Exit Through The Gift Shop 10/10, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 7/10, The Phantom Carriage 10/10, Au Hasard Balthazar 3/10, The African Queen 10/10, My Night At Maud's 10/10, The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse 10/10 (total: 95)

TychoCelchuuu gets The 400 Blows. I don't like it very much but maybe you will.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

9) La Haine - This seems like something I should be obligated to see.

Only one I've seen from your list but it's worth seeing especially for the old man in the bathroom.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

They're hit-or-miss from what I've heard.

Dr. No - I remember seeing this but now that I'm older I appreciate it a lot more. This has style immediately from the opening credits. The theme is immediately recognizable and iconic.

Bond might be the most overly masculine and virile character I've seen. It seems a little silly that he has to have an intimate physical relationship with nearly every woman he speaks to (friend or foe, timely and untimely). He's cool under pressure and also has quips after near-death experiences (unlike Barry Nelson in that 1954 television episode).

I wasn't sure why Bond shot that professor before trying to get him to talk. That didn't seem smart.

Dr. No is a saboteur of US space projects. He is half German and half Chinese so we get two ethnicities to vilify for the price of one. We finally meet Dr. No (actually only his feet and hands) 84 minutes into the film. Bond has a short philosophical and political debate at dinner with Dr. No and it quickly ends with Dr. No dismissing Bond as "a stupid policeman."

Bond gets lucky a few times and some scenes are hard to believe (relatively easy escape through the tubes as one example) but I'm sure later movies have even more outlandish escapades. By the end of the film the CIA operative comes across as looking lazy.

PS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNRuysQVfJc

also watched:

Brokeback Mountain - A few of the characters had a proclivity towards mumbling so I had to leave the subtitles on for the duration. There's tons of idyllic scenery in the first half of the movie while Ennis and Jack start their relationship out in confusion and denial. It felt like it ran kind of long.

With all the complaining, arguing and fighting throughout the film it was kind of depressing (best exemplified in the needless football/TV dinner argument between Jack and L.D.). In this regard I was reminded of Ang Lee's earlier film The Ice Storm.

Side notes:

-Ennis is a pretty bad liar and I'm not sure why Alma bothered with the charade.

-After about the fifth scene involving Ennis giddily preparing to go fishing with Jack I found it humorous.

-That shot of Ennis at the fireworks show stuck out as an iconic shot.

-The killing of Jack Twist was a shock. And even after his death his father seemed to be hostile towards him.

Under Siege - I didn't know if anyone would ever select a Seagal film so curiosity got the best of me. It's pretty derivative but I still found it enjoyable. Gary Busey plays his typical insane character. However, Tommy Lee Jones isn't usually a villain.

Steven Seagal plays the role funnily. He first comes across like a pompous cook with a chip on his shoulder for no reason but he eventually proves his merit by taking on approximately 100 bad guys. He's so good at killing people and evading harm that it's detrimental to the film. He's like a super Rambo inserted into the plot of Die Hard (this time on a battleship). He also turns a pacifist playmate (Erika Eleniak) into a trained killer.

There's some oddities in the plot I could pick apart (why is that WWII-era guy on the ship?) but it doesn't seem like the kind of film to do that too rigorously on. I'll definitely watch a couple more Seagal movies in the future.

1933 Cavalcade - Some call this the worst Best Picture winner. A 6.2 rating on IMDb kind of backs that up. 5/4/13

1931 Cimarron - It has the lowest IMDb rating (6.0) of any Best Picture winner. 5/10/13

Procrastination (58 completed):

#62 Shane - Another important western. I hear it's similar to Pale Rider. 6/27/13

new #63 The Rock - Keep forgetting to watch this one. I remember it being popular at its release. 7/5/13

new #64 Lost Highway - I haven't seen a Lynch film in a while. 7/5/13

new From Russia with Love - Now we're in uncharted territory. I don't believe I've seen any other Bond films fully except possibly Live and Let Die. 7/5/13

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - I've seen a couple of the Star Trek films but I should watch them all in chronological order of release I guess. I was a fan of TNG as a kid and probably saw 15-20% of the shows. I revisited the show later and it was still good. I also saw some of the original series from the 60s and I vividly remember Kirk fighting a lizard man. I tried some of the other TV series and couldn't get into them at all. 6/8/13

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Zogo posted:

#62 Shane - Another important western. I hear it's similar to Pale Rider. 6/27/13

You're watching this one. lmao

1. City of God -- Only movie in the IMDb top 25 I haven't seen. Friends loved it in senior year of high school and I kept nodding "yeahh, right" and then never saw it. Don't even know what it's about--something about Brazil? I dunno.

2. Spirited Away -- Tried to watch this a few times and always get distracted by something else.

3. Unforgiven -- I own this movie. I literally own this movie. I have an entire collection of just western movies and this movie is in it. On a few occasions, I've pushed into the DVD player and I pressed play and I've fallen asleep like 30 minutes in each time. It's like a sedative. I know about the ending and I know this is a great movie, but I've never been able to watch this all the way through and I'm entirely embarrassed by that.

4. Casino -- I actually walked into my sister's house while this was playing and saw the end -- man, Joe Pesci gets it rough in every one of these movies -- but I've always wanted to actually see it all the way through.

5. Strangers on a Train -- I've seen almost all of Hitchcock's movies, except this one and Rope. I think this one's long overdue.

6. Rope -- See no. 5

7. Anatomy of a Murder -- And Otto Preminger too. I really should've seen this one by now.

8. Bullitt -- I like Steve McQueen, but could never get the fanaticism around him. The Great Escape was one of my dad's favorite movies and I must've watched it a thousand times growing up. Might've had something to do with it. I'm probably afraid this one's too dated.

9. Papillon -- Another McQueen movie, but this one looks more interesting.

10. The French Connection -- As much as I love a good chase scene, never got around to this one--same with Bullitt, where I'm a little afraid it's too dated now.

I'm gonna pick Unforgiven for myself.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't quite know what you mean by "I'm gonna pick Unforgiven for myself" - is it a joke I'm missing or what? In any case you can watch Spirited Away, that movie is tremendous.

The 400 Blows was cute. Having just watched 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days it was fun to watch a film that is part of the French New Wave, which clearly inspired a lot of the Romanian New Wave. The 400 Blows is one of what I think is becoming an increasingly long list of films I've watched for this thread that I think would've been better without the score (another thing which is highlighted by having just seen 4 Months) and in general I'm really not sure how I feel about the upbeat tone that I felt the movie had the entire time. Is that just something I'm reading into it? Do kids have to be tremendously dour before I can see them as anything other than happy go lucky? No matter how bad things got I never really felt it from the film. Between the sound the kid's bubblegum made when he popped a bubble, the twittery flutes in the movie's score, the relative brightness of the black and white photography, and the ping-ponging between "happy" and "fed up and dour but in an almost cartoonish way" that marked the only two moods any of the adults ever really had, it was hard for anything in this movie to sink in. The kid crying in the back of the paddy wagon was as close as anything in this movie got to affecting, I think. Maybe my heart is missing - if anything, I feel like if I'm missing something, it's not because my heart is broken but that something about how I saw things was messed up. Clearly the film touches people, no? I wonder what touches them. Paris was pretty though.

4) North by Northwest (1959) - I suppose if I keep watching Hitchcock movies maybe I'll start enjoying them more. Except Rear Window, I love that one already.

5) Stalker (1979) - As of adding this entry I have two Tarkovsky movies on the list. Endless shame etc.

6) Body Heat (1981) - I want to see some Lawrence Kasdan that isn't Lucas-related.

7) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

8) Amores Perros (2000) - When I was in college, one of my roommates watched this with some friends of ours. I was nearby but not paying attention (I had headphones on) but afterwards I caught their reaction - our friends sounded uncomfortable by what they had just seen, and my roommate thought it was pretty good. My roommate has good taste and likes weird stuff, and these friends are ones that don't really go for the more out-there stuff, so on the off chance I dislike this at least it will potentially be interesting.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
La Haine

Wow, I'm having a really good run in this thread. I loved this movie from start to finish - it's furious. I got angry watching it, which is great. It's a really relevant now, too, what with all the really nauseating stuff that's been happening, and there's something about the brief violence at the end that's really cathartic. Part of the fun of the film is how relentless it is, how it goes out of its way to demonstrate the way this kind of life can so harass a person, a person's nerves, a person's life, how the kind of treatment doled out can completely crumple an entire class of people, maybe the only class who can really feel the fall. It makes me wish we'd land, finally, for better or for worse, to see a deciding action taken that will end the descent.

Also Paul Thomas Anderson must love this film because it's all over Boogie Nights.

10/10

this list is as shameful as michael fassbender's penis

1) Weekend - Traffic jams, cannibals, and something about the language of cinema?

2) The River - I know almost nothing of Jean Renoir.

3) The Naked City - noir, noir, apple

4) Stray Dog - More modern-day Kurosawa can't be a bad thing.

5) Scream - The call is coming from inside the house. Or whatever. This movie is old, man.

6) Dogtooth - Black comedy about an isolated family?

7) Four Lions - I love black comedy, the blacker the better.

8) The Sacrifice - A merry fellow he was, that Tarkovsky.

9) The Pianist - play that funky music white boy

10) Night And Fog - uh oh

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection 9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot 8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are 7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10, Seven Samurai 10/10, Rashomon 9/10, The Godfather: Part II 10/10, La Dolce Vita 10/10, The Princess Bride 9/10, Bringing Up Baby 7/10, City Lights 9/10, Baraka 7/10, Au revior les enfants 8/10, Bonnie And Clyde 6.5, Hiroshima mon amour 8/10, Lost In Translation 10/10, The Piano 8/10, La Strada 7/10, Safety Last! 10/10 Vivre sa vie 9/10, Band Of Outsiders 8/10, Diary Of A Country Priest 7/10, Mommie Dearest 8/10, Once Upon A Time In The West 10/10, L'Atalante 7/10, All About My Mother 7/10, Shoot The Piano Player 8/10, Faces 10/10, The Passion Of Joan Of Arc 10/10, The Wild Bunch 6/10, Harold And Maude see my review, Pink Flamingos 8/10, Heat 10/10, Raising Arizona 7/10, L'Avventura 2/10, Atlantic City 9/10, The Magic Flute 9/10, Cleo From 5 To 7 9/10, Down By Law 10/10, Hoop Dreams 10/10, 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her ¿8/10?, La jetée 9/10, Night Of The Living Dead 9/10, Cool Hand Luke 6/10, Pather Panchali 10/10, The Terminator 6/10, The Trial 10/10, Exit Through The Gift Shop 10/10, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 7/10, The Phantom Carriage 10/10, Au Hasard Balthazar 3/10, The African Queen 10/10, My Night At Maud's 10/10, The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse 10/10, La Haine 10/10 (total: 96)

ThyroidCello gets North by Northwest

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

9) The Pianist - play that funky music white boy

Only one I've seen from your list but it's worth seeing especially for the piano playing.

Shane - Another good movie that demonstrates no matter how many films I see there's probably hundreds more waiting. It was similar to Pale Rider and I was reminded of Road House too. I swear without the internet and the consolidation of information I might've stopped watching films or been going to see a lot of bad new releases. Or maybe I would've found some "greatest movies" book at the library.

This one features authentic people with earthy problems (centering around property/claim rights). Shane and Joe really go to work chopping that tree stump down. Of course the "bad guys" call him "soda pop" and label him a "sodbuster." I must say I found the ribbing and teasing Shane got in the bar to be pretty funny.

There is a long extended fistfight between Shane and plenty of guys. Guns don't come into play until the second half of the film. Joey (the little boy) worships Shane like a hero most of the time.

PS Marian admiring the new jar technology was funny.

Procrastination (59 completed):

#63 The Rock - Keep forgetting to watch this one. I remember it being popular at its release. 7/5/13

#64 Lost Highway - I haven't seen a Lynch film in a while. 7/5/13

new #65 Inland Empire - Lynch is probably the most enigmatically enchanting director out there for me right now. 7/6/13

From Russia with Love - Now we're in uncharted territory. I don't believe I've seen any other Bond films fully except possibly Live and Let Die. 7/5/13

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Watch Nashville.

North by Northwest was fun. The first, I dunno, third? Half? Three quarters? Mostly failed to entertain me, except when there was a joke, because I'm pretty tired of the stupid convoluted plots that rely on weird government machinations and crazy coincidences that seem to infest certain Hitchcock films and rob them of anything I could ever care about. Once the ~~mystery~~ got cleared up and people started climbing on Mount Rushmore with that awesome music playing I had fun, then it ended super abruptly. Martin Landau is awesome even when all he does is stand around and look menacing, and Cary Grant acting like a nutter at the auction was fun. I'm not sure I buy Eve Marie Saint falling for someone 20 years older, even if that someone is Cary Grant, but whatever.

4) Cool Hand Luke (1967) - This movie and I have thus far had a failure to communicate.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

...I'm really not sure how I feel about the upbeat tone that I felt the movie had the entire time. Is that just something I'm reading into it?

It's been a while since I saw it but I don't remember thinking it was upbeat. I really didn't like it and felt it was all self-evident and quaint (which is a memorably strange reaction for me to have toward any film).

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's a really relevant now, too, what with all the really nauseating stuff that's been happening...

Are you referring to anything specific?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm not sure I buy Eve Marie Saint falling for someone 20 years older, even if that someone is Cary Grant, but whatever.

Have you seen Charade (1963) yet? If not, be prepared for a harder sell.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 7, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Watch this!

Josh Lyman's Movie List of Shame v1.0:

The Godfather (any of them). I assume most people watch this in college but it just never happened. I guess we were too busy marathoning through TV series?

Citizen Kane. I think I've seen the first 15 minutes and everyone knows about Rosebud, but I've never watched the whole thing.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Isn't there someone who wearing a chicken suit or some other costume while walking home?

North by Northwest. When I was a kid, I confused this with Northern Exposure more times than I'd like to admit.

Apocalypse Now. Surprising I haven't seen this since I like Full Metal Jacket and I loved Martin Sheen in The West Wing.

Taxi Driver. I fell asleep while watching this at home sometime in the last decade.

A Clockwork Orange. See above.

The Bridge on the River Kwai. This movie is about Obi-Wan in WW2 right?

Raging Bull. Isn't this the same movie as below?

Goodfellas. Isn't this the same movie as above?
Back at it with Taxi Driver. I'm going to livepost here.

-Robert DeNiro and Cybill Shepard just had their first date. She's a total cutie and DeNiro is really strange, unnerving even, and that's saying a lot since I'm pretty loving weird.

-DeNiro just had Charles Palantine, the presidential candidate, in his car. DeNiro refers to NYC as being dirty and that the president should clean it up, just "flush it down the loving toilet." It sounded racially charged, but DeNiro referred to rain washing garbage off the street in a diary voiceover so I'm not sure if he's being literal.

-This cuckold is hilarious: "A friend of the family lives there. How do you like that? ... And I'm gonna kill her. ... You should see what a .44 Magnum's gonna do to a woman's pussy."

-The shootout at the end is hilariously 70s. For being a former marine and good shot at the shooting range, he was pretty awful at killing the Harvey Keitel and company.

I also watched A Clockwork Orange. I've only ever seen the first act of the film, basically through the murder, and had no idea that Alex gets institutionalized, though I suppose that makes sense since I've obviously seen pictures of him with his eyelids pried open. I was really expecting Alex to die when he jumped out of the window. That seemed like an appropriate ending, given my assumption that the film was primarily about his downward spiral. The epilogue, however, changed my analysis of the film completely.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 7, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zogo posted:

Have you seen Charade (1963) yet? If not, be prepared for a harder sell.
It's just a series of hard loving sells with this guy, but no, I haven't seen Charade yet and I don't know if I'll bother.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Shane is a pretty awful movie, but it's necessary viewing because of how it's the first real western with a Hero Who Doesn't Want to Get Involved but Gets Involved Because He Wants to Protect the Townspeople. Also, it's pretty historically accurate in how land owners bullied small farmers and towns, particularly in Wyoming.

I misunderstood originally and thought I was supposed to pick one for myself and also have one selected for me, but I understand now.

Spirited Away -- A thinly-veiled criticism of the current presidential administration, Spirited Away is about a little girl trying to survive in a strange land. After walking into a world she didn't want to, she finds herself at the mercy of others. This world is ruled by the tyrant Ubaba (clearly Obama) who casts spells on her subjects to make them do her dirty work. The little girl, who's known as Sen, though she's made to forget her real name and where she comes from by Ubaba, struggles to make a living on a day-to-day basis, but finds herself swept into fighting for reform. She eventually finds a way out--through Ubaba's twin sister, a kindly old woman who just wants the best of others (Romney)--and finds her way back to her old life.

This movie was awesome. It took a while before the big reveal (that it's a hotel and spa for the spirits of Japan), but the creativity required in creating each and every spirit, and all of the minor characters, and the stink spirit scene, and all of that fun stuff--it was a wonderful thing to take in. It had a good story, too, and though it ended with a really cheesy love story, I didn't even mind. I loved the characters, their actions, the little tricks and spells placed on people. No Face was a clear favorite. He/She just needed love and Sen was happy to provide it.

It reminded me a lot of Alice in Wonderland and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the source material.

Absolutely fantastic.

My turn.

1. City of God -- Only movie in the IMDb top 25 I haven't seen. Friends loved it in senior year of high school and I kept nodding "yeahh, right" and then never saw it. Don't even know what it's about--something about Brazil? I dunno.

2. NEW Lawrence of Arabia -- Another one I've tried to start several times and never really put my heart into seeing it. Should've seen it a long time ago.

3. Unforgiven -- I own this movie. I literally own this movie. I have an entire collection of just western movies and this movie is in it. On a few occasions, I've pushed into the DVD player and I pressed play and I've fallen asleep like 30 minutes in each time. It's like a sedative. I know about the ending and I know this is a great movie, but I've never been able to watch this all the way through and I'm entirely embarrassed by that.

4. Casino -- I actually walked into my sister's house while this was playing and saw the end -- man, Joe Pesci gets it rough in every one of these movies -- but I've always wanted to actually see it all the way through.

5. Strangers on a Train -- I've seen almost all of Hitchcock's movies, except this one and Rope. I think this one's long overdue.

6. Rope -- See no. 5

7. Anatomy of a Murder -- And Otto Preminger too. I really should've seen this one by now.

8. Bullitt -- I like Steve McQueen, but could never get the fanaticism around him. The Great Escape was one of my dad's favorite movies and I must've watched it a thousand times growing up. Might've had something to do with it. I'm probably afraid this one's too dated.

9. Papillon -- Another McQueen movie, but this one looks more interesting.

10. The French Connection -- As much as I love a good chase scene, never got around to this one--same with Bullitt, where I'm a little afraid it's too dated now.

Tycho, you're getting Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, which is a drat good movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The broken bones posted:

Spirited Away -- A thinly-veiled criticism of the current presidential administration, Spirited Away is about a little girl trying to survive in a strange land. After walking into a world she didn't want to, she finds herself at the mercy of others. This world is ruled by the tyrant Ubaba (clearly Obama) who casts spells on her subjects to make them do her dirty work. The little girl, who's known as Sen, though she's made to forget her real name and where she comes from by Ubaba, struggles to make a living on a day-to-day basis, but finds herself swept into fighting for reform. She eventually finds a way out--through Ubaba's twin sister, a kindly old woman who just wants the best of others (Romney)--and finds her way back to her old life.

I'm fairly confident you're joking. But since I'm not 100% sure I have to ask: you're joking, right?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

The broken bones posted:

Shane is a pretty awful movie, but it's necessary viewing because of how it's the first real western with a Hero Who Doesn't Want to Get Involved but Gets Involved Because He Wants to Protect the Townspeople.

This isn't quite true. Most of the prototypical plot points of the Classical Western were established before Shane. André Bazin in, I believe the 60's, perceived Shane as being particularly self-aware about its use of the Classical Western plot, because those were fairly established by the end of the 40's, I recall.

edit: Some successful Westerns pre-Shane that I think have the "I don't want to get involved!" plot point: Duel in the Sun (1947), Dodge City (1939).

Calamity Brain fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 7, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

DetoxP posted:

This isn't quite true. Most of the prototypical plot points of the Classical Western were established before Shane. André Bazin in, I believe the 60's, perceived Shane as being particularly self-aware about its use of the Classical Western plot, because those were fairly established by the end of the 40's, I recall.

edit: Some successful Westerns pre-Shane that I think have the "I don't want to get involved!" plot point: Duel in the Sun (1947), Dodge City (1939).

That poo poo goes back to the silent era - Tumbleweeds in 1925 does it - and probably much earlier to the dime novels of the 1880s.

Also:

The broken bones posted:

Shane is a pretty awful movie

I WILL DESTROY YOU.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Watch City of God.

I liked Mr. Smith Goes to Washington because it's hard not to like Jimmy Stewart no matter what he's doing, and him being all earnest about America is pretty funny.

1) His Girl Friday (1940) - Is this anything my like My Man Godfrey?

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Tokyo Story (1953) - I'm guessing this is set in Tokyo.

4) Cool Hand Luke (1967) - This movie and I have thus far had a failure to communicate.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Watch Cool Hand Luke. It's such a joy to watch you might not even realize how cerebral it really is.

After seeing this thread title forever I've decided to throw my hat in the ring:

1) Chinatown - I'm pretty sure I once saw five minutes of it on TV years ago, but changed the channel because I wanted to see it from the beginning and then never got around to it. I'm also a huge fan of film noir and Roman Polanski (for his work; the man, not so much). I know the famous last line and that water rights and incest are involved maybe?

2) Stalker - I've read Roadside Picnic and loved it and I'm painfully weak on Soviet film in general. I've only seen The Cranes Are Flying, Battleship Potemkin, and Strike.

3) Solaris - See above. I figure Tarkovsky is as good a start as any. Liked the remake with George Clooney and as a kid I was fascinated with Solaris' entry in Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials.

4) Rashomon - I love, love, LOVE Kurosawa. But I know so much about Rashomon from cultural osmosis that I've never bothered to actually watch the drat thing.

5) Fitzcarraldo - I've only ever seen Werner Hertzog's documentaries, but I've liked what I've seen and want to see how he tackled fiction.

6) Manhattan - The giant gaping hole in my near complete Woody Allen completionism. TO tell you the truth, I've been putting it off because I've built it up so much in my head that now I'm afraid of being disappointed.

7) The Conversation - I love 70s thrillers. I've seen The French Connection, Day of the Jackal, The Eiger Sanction, The ODESSA File, Marathon Man, Boys from Brazil, The Taking of Pelham 123, etc etc. Not sure why I never got around to this.

8) The Young Girls of Rochefort - A decade ago, when I was at an impressionable age, I caught the opening titles of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg on TCM without seeing its introduction and went in completely blind. I watched the whole thing enraptured. I don't know why, but for me it was just one of those movies that you see and it becomes a part of you for the rest of your life. It might be my favorite movie. I probably think about something from it once a month.

I want to see The Young Girls of Rochefort because I have a theory that The Young Girls of Rochefort is to E.T. as The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is to Poltergeist.

9) Rififi - It's a critically acclaimed low budget French black and white film noir heist movie directed by a black listed director in the 50s. Honestly, when I read about it I was shocked that I hadn't already seen it and loved it.

10) Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey - I've never seen Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. :shrug:

Zohn fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 8, 2013

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

DetoxP posted:

I didn't know about those two, but it had to have made the idea popular, no? shortly after we get all of the clint eastwood/spaghetti westerns, and so on. High noon wasnt really part of it. why the hell is Shane even recognized??

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

The broken bones posted:

Why the hell is Shane even recognized??

This should help.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

The broken bones posted:

I didn't know about those two, but it had to have made the idea popular, no? shortly after we get all of the clint eastwood/spaghetti westerns, and so on. High noon wasnt really part of it. why the hell is Shane even recognized??

Not that I care if you think it sucks (we're all entitled to our opinions and I don't love it myself), but as far as I know Shane is recognized because generally people really liked it, it made money, and instead of pioneering the tropes, it gathered them all into one film. It's as if the collective "impression" of the Western genre, built in the public mind over decades, convalesced into one movie.

Of course, I might be way off and penismightier really is the Shane expert round these parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The broken bones posted:

The Eastwood westerns were a decade later, and you really need to start capitalizing correctly.

DetoxP posted:

Not that I care if you think it sucks (we're all entitled to our opinions and I don't love it myself), but as far as I know Shane is recognized because generally people really liked it, it made money, and instead of pioneering the tropes, it gathered them all into one film. It's as if the collective "impression" of the Western genre, built in the public mind over decades, convalesced into one movie.

Of course, I might be way off and penismightier really is the Shane expert round these parts.

Spot-on, Shane was built to be an ur-western, down to details like changing his outfit from black hat in the novel to the more mythic good guy in a white hat. It had a lot of innovations, too, though. It's treatment of violence was unlike anything before it. It's the first film where guns don't make a "pop!" noise. They sourced the gunfire from a cannon fired in a trashcan, they're huge and booming. It's also the first movie where people are pulled across the set on wires from the force of the gunfire. That treatment of death as a serious and powerful act was decades ahead of its time. I can't think of any major films which treat gun violence which such impact until the '70s.

And of course the totally non-verbal romance is one of the most elegant pieces of directing and acting I know of.

I wrote at length about it here.