Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Welcome, Beezo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Doing a new localization for a 30 year old game makes sense to me. Woolsey was charming but notoriously fast and loose. The pixel remasters had new scripts as well.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

smrpg is my favorite game ever and i am mostly fine with the changes. except yaridovich, i don't care if the new name is more correct the old one was better. like robotnik.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Robotnik is worse then Eggman the second someone says it like Robot Nick.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Woosley translation is charming and iconic but new games get modern localizations. I'm excited for it.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

The old translation was fine, the old FF translations had all kinds of weird poo poo that isn't really present here

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PneumonicBook posted:

i never heard anyone say it this way and if i had i'd have given them a swirlie

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PneumonicBook posted:

How else would you say it?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It'll be weird if they take all the Woolsey out of SMRPG as that was a huge part of the game's charm, but I'm interested to see a more faithful translation too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Doing a new localization for a 30 year old game makes sense to me. Woolsey was charming but notoriously fast and loose. The pixel remasters had new scripts as well.
Pixel Remaster mostly uses the translation script from the GBA ports, with various little edits and tweaks. The exception is FF3, which never had a GBA port and as such has a whole new translation with a couple of bits like skill names pulled from the DS remake.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sakurazuka posted:

How else would you say it?

ro-BOT-nik, not robot-nick

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
some of the more iconic lines will probably survive. like ff4 always retains "you spoony bard". I am sure toad will continue to warn goombas that mario knows about timed hits

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
mallow probably won't ask mario if he thinks he's Bruce Lee though, sadly

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

some of the more iconic lines will probably survive. like ff4 always retains "you spoony bard". I am sure toad will continue to warn goombas that mario knows about timed hits

like the moon over
the day my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Dr. Robotnik’s name is still canonically Ivo Robotnik - Eggman is a denigrating nickname given to him by that deplorable hedgehog

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bleck posted:

Dr. Robotnik’s name is still canonically Ivo Robotnik - Eggman is a denigrating nickname given to him by that deplorable hedgehog

Yeah, the name was officially canonized in SA2 where even in the Japanese version his grandfather was named Gerald Robotnik (also the snow level in Triple Trouble is still called “Robotnik Winter” in Japan)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

mallow probably won't ask mario if he thinks he's Bruce Lee though, sadly

"What do you think you are, some kind of Smash Brother?"

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm not able to purchase Wonder or SMRPG when they release, so instead I'm turning to the Mario content I've never finished - Sunshine and Galaxy.

Both of these games I abandoned midway and I'm picking up those files. I'm focused on Galaxy and this game is really wonderful! I never finished this on the Wii, I only ever played it intensely over Thanksgiving vacation mid-college and never returned to it.

It takes me awhile to get onto these older 3D Mario games because of the lack of camera control. As I play Galaxy I'm realizing it was designed to accommodate the camera. With that perspective I'm enjoying Galaxy much more, it's a guided path through a 3D space, very much like 3D World and I'm enjoying it so much more! Swimming underwater is an exception, that is really truly a 3D space and not having camera controls diminishes that experience.

The only disappointing thing is handheld mode gimps Galaxy because the pointer is only controllable via touch screen. If it had gyro support this game would be perfect.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Doing a new localization for a 30 year old game makes sense to me. Woolsey was charming but notoriously fast and loose.

I put it to you that charm is more important than accuracy.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

bravesword posted:

not while pissing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bravesword posted:

If all the charm is going to be drained from the game because they made name translations more accurate that speaks poorly of the game.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Let's all jump to as many negative conclusions as possible, it is the Nintendo way

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

bravesword posted:

Yikes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do people think the original script had no jokes?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bravesword posted:

The more accurate stuff is also charming

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Let's all jump to as many negative conclusions as possible, it is the Nintendo way

They're gonna change the 100 super jump to be less insane and a wave of people that smell so bad it somehow comes through their posts is going to complain about how the game, and society, is ruined because Nintendo now makes games for babies

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

STC4LIFE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Do people think the original script had no jokes?

The silly thing about this is that it isn't even removing a joke. It's translating a joke that wasn't translated originally and thus people probably missed.

The various weapons are all named after weapons in goofy ways. (Axem, Bowyer, Blade, etc.) His Japanese name is Yaridivich which is.. Speardivich.

You can make a greater argument for Mack, who was Kenzor (Swordzor) in the Japanese version and got changed to Mack for the English version as a reference to Mack the Knife, but "Mack the Knife" is a pretty deep cut

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 12, 2023

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

ImpAtom posted:

If all the charm is going to be drained from the game because they made name translations more accurate that speaks poorly of the game.

Pretty much every attempt to improve a Woolsey translation to date has (be they official or otherwise) been substantially worse, so apparently it’s harder than it looks.

Me, I think loudly proclaiming you can’t understand the game where Mario collects stars with Pinocchio unless all the nuances are properly translated says more about you, but maybe I’m way off base

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bravesword posted:

Pretty much every attempt to improve a Woolsey translation to date has (be they official or otherwise) been substantially worse, so apparently it’s harder than it looks.

Me, I think loudly proclaiming you can’t understand the game where Mario collects stars with Pinocchio unless all the nuances are properly translated says more about you, but maybe I’m way off base
Weirdo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bravesword posted:

Again, you are complaining about something that Woolsey left untranslated. There isn't even a changing joke here. It's the same joke he just didn't translate the name.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which ones made them worse? I can't think of any that were more than a perfunctory clean up of actual mistakes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some of SE's SNES games were retranslated on GBA, DS, etc., but they were all good and just as jokey if not moreso than the old versions. FF5's modern TL came from the same set and is full of personality and gags.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
"charm" as perceived by 40 year olds who have nostalgia for their grade school days, I think they're going for a bigger audience than that

I'm glad they're updating translations for 30 year old games. Translation was a pretty rough industry back then and we got a lot of awkward or cringe stuff

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

KingSlime posted:

"charm" as perceived by 40 year olds, I think they're going for a bigger audience than that

you spoony bard! 😡

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They should keep in Neosquid though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Some of SE's SNES games were retranslated on GBA, DS, etc., but they were all good and just as jokey if not moreso than the old versions. FF5's modern TL came from the same set and is full of personality and gags.

People like to point to specific lines being changed as 'ruining the charm' and ignore that other lines are improvements.

Like one of my favorites is in Chrono Trigger where in the SNES version they can't directly say death so Magus says something along the lines of "You know, there just might be a way to bring him back." In the DS version he says "I said the fool was dead. I did not say his death could not be undone."

The latter is more flowery but also has a lot more personality while also being slightly more accurate (Magus refers to Crono dismissively during his comment, which 'the fool' captures.) The former is like fine but pointing towards it as being more 'charming' or having more personality is kind of bewildering.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Neosquid never made sense so it's no surprise it'll get a new name. I bet it'll get an homage in its psychopath blurb or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Neosquid never made sense so it's no surprise it'll get a new name. I bet it'll get an homage in its psychopath blurb or something.

The general assumption I've heard about it is that it was intended as the name for the Blooper boss at one point and got misattributed and never fixed. There were a lot of late translation name changes in SMRPG. (Punchinello for example was supposed to be James Bomb as originally translated which is why he has a James Bond reference in his dialogue.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I have an open mind for SMRPG'S new translation. The original was super great and charming though. I hope it keeps the spirit.

Translation stuff always reminds me of when neckbeards complain about the War Of The Lions FFT translation as too flowery and Shakespearean to read compared to the original.

Bitch have you ever played the original translation? I loving did when it came out and dozens of times again and by the third battle in chapter two its absolute batshit gibberish.

There's some really great mistranslations and engrish that are charming and cool AS HELL but what is going on in the plot? Nobody knows.

L I T T L E M O N E Y