Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Oneiros posted:

westerners are so removed from war they think a helicopter getting knocked out during an invasion is a national tragedy the commander in chief must personally notice

Well, he is trying..

https://twitter.com/johnsweeneyroar/status/1496813024967106563

edit: tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwO5rnJvzT4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TenementFunster posted:

what do you suggest

obviously ukraine should have surrendered and zelensky should have stepped down and handed the keys to country to the first russian he saw. this is all joe biden’s fault!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Ukraine being unable to deny the Russian military access of the roads is just incredible.

Like what in the absolute poo poo were you thinking rejecting diplomacy if your capabilities were that low?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
what was the diplomatic option again?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
what is even the point of all the funding arming and chestbeating the west did over Ukraine if they’re not even gonna put up token resistance to the roads and bridges and airports lol and now the west is backing down over SWIFT lol absolute chumps

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mr. Nice! posted:

obviously ukraine should have surrendered and zelensky should have stepped down and handed the keys to country to the first russian he saw. this is all joe biden’s fault!
zelensky could go back to playing the president on tv at least

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Orange Devil posted:

Ukraine being unable to deny the Russian military access of the roads is just incredible.

Like what in the absolute poo poo were you thinking rejecting diplomacy if your capabilities were that low?

zelenskij tried to do diplomacy after he was first elected, but it collapsed because the russians demanded more than he could actually give. he also tried to give more, but his efforts were substantially undermined by hard-line ukrainian elements. that made him look unreliable to putin, who seems to have preferred the present course of action for some obscure reason

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
Weird all the people who said the west was overreacting to the troop build up are not posting

What a strange thread

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Al-Saqr posted:

what is even the point of all the funding arming and chestbeating the west did over Ukraine if they’re not even gonna put up token resistance to the roads and bridges and airports
would you?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Adhere to the Minsk accords and incorporate LDR / DNR as federal regions

But lol that was never going to happen

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

the diplomatic option was before 2013 when russia gave its bid then western powers backed flipping over the table lol. now russia is doing turnabout

Not So Fast posted:

yeah domestically/internationally untenable

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

huh i wonder if joe biden was doing anything to escalate tensions before ukraine got invaded lol

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

703 posted:

Weird all the people who said the west was overreacting to the troop build up are not posting

What a strange thread

ukraine isn't even a real country

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

you are the kind of person who would say and do nothing if a person slightly stronger than you was to punch your child in front of you lmao

how could you resist when you physical capabilitie that low

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 13 days!)

Mr. Nice! posted:

Take Russia's demands seriously. Don't dump more weapons into the hands of fascist paramilitaries. Don't refuse to take Ukraine off the NATO membership MAP. Russia presented a number of maximalist demands that could've been negotiated down from, but instead we refused to budge an inch.

Al-Saqr posted:

what is even the point of all the funding arming and chestbeating the west did over Ukraine if they’re not even gonna put up token resistance to the roads and bridges and airports lol and now the west is backing down over SWIFT lol absolute chumps

I guarantee you somebody's gonna have the take that they're letting the Russian army fall into a trap, where the babushka volksturm will spring from the trees, javelins at the ready.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pull back forces from the eastern regions, allow them to do some elections and amend the constitution. Literally impossible for Ukraine in 2022 so instead they get to see their military collapse, the breakaway regions become their own nation states with a larger claim and sign off on any future ability to join nato.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the only way for zelenskij to actually make a deal here would've been if the NATO powers had seriously backed him, and they weren't going to do that because it's not in their interest to capitulate in a border region where they don't really have anything to lose.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
is frosted flake the only former troop not mad about this, i mean yeah mostly hes amazed by how russian forces woulda overrun nato in deep battle or whatever the hell, but like.
come on, jack.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the west could of been over reacting and also helped cause this

two things can be true

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Not So Fast posted:

i thought the only diplomacy offered by putin was to acknowledge that russia now owned crimea, that ldr and dnr are no longer ukraine as well, completely stand down the military, and refuse any further western aid.

sounds pretty reasonable can’t see why ukraine didn’t do this.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

703 posted:

What a strange thread

i mean they were overreacting in the sense that they aren't going to do poo poo about it anyway. and arguably shouldn't do poo poo as depressing as that is to say. all the news centering on western leaders opinions about things before the war was sickening because it was obviously always a pr and procurement grift opportunity, with no substance whatsoever.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I’m a fat coward gamer not a national military tasked with defending the country lol

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Because we told him too. Zelensky was played, he was a means to an end to get the war Washington wanted as an excuse to finally cut Russia off from Europe economically....even if it doesn't necessarily happen overnight.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
reinstate kievan rus

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
if the Rooskies are as succesful as it appears, this might be the beginning of the end for the American-led rules based International order. the only thing keeping us from a return to great power realpolitik or is liberal mystification and liberalism.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 13 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

you are the kind of person who would say and do nothing if a person slightly stronger than you was to punch your child in front of you lmao

how could you resist when you physical capabilitie that low

If some guy threatened to hurt my kid, I wouldn't call them a pussy and dare them to do it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
no way russia would trust a NATO promise not to admit ukraine after the last ~25 years of world history tho

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Just invite russia into nato

again

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think the reality, like it or hate it, is that if you can't maintain your borders militarily and nobody is willing to start ww3 for you then you do not have national sovereignty.

this really shouldn't come as such a disorienting blow to any american, considering the last seventy or so years

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If some guy threatened to hurt my kid, I wouldn't call them a pussy and dare them to do it.

are you sure

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TenementFunster posted:

what do you suggest

what ukraine should have done is accepted reality and not dragged their feet on minsk 2, but that's what you get for trusting the perifidous angloid

what the west should do from a moral standpoint is offer immediate and credible guarantees that nato expansion is over for good and force zelensky to either implement minsk 2 (or recognize the breakaway republics if that's what it takes) in return for an immediate ceasefire, but the point here never was to protect ukraine, the point was to keep russia down and if it came to war sacrifice every last ukrainian to bleed the russians dry

unfortunately for that particular plan, as it turns out, the west is utter poo poo at conventional war too and for all their hi-tech gizmos and supposedly superior western training the ukrainians are getting steamrolled

kinda reminds me of the intended afghanistan withdrawal scenario, except somehow even more humiliating

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
What if Russia takes over Poland???

well poo poo i guess nations are fake who could have seen that coming

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

"Syrian farmers" lol

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

poland was never real

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1496797101677850630

lol what the gently caress is the point then

like, yes, it's good that the EU/NATO/US isn't (yet) throwing the kitchen sink into Ukraine, but there's an obvious disconnect here

They can't do that. It would destroy SWIFT.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

i thought the only diplomacy offered by putin was to acknowledge that russia now owned crimea, that ldr and dnr are no longer ukraine as well, completely stand down the military, and refuse any further western aid.

sounds pretty reasonable can’t see why ukraine didn’t do this.

Putin literally said that he wasn’t going to sign the resolution accepting the other regions and was saying that Minsk 2 was still the best vehicle to avert war. Germany and France apparently were in the boat saying this as well.

And then Zelensky said that Minsk 2 was dead and maybe Ukraine should get nuclear weapons.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Orange Devil posted:

might not, necessarily, be the Ukrainian overestimating their capabilities. It might also be the effect of a overwhelming attack on both Ukrainian frontline forces and their strategic depth. If the Ukrainians front line and reserves don't know where the Russians are there's not really much to be done. 70 years of perfecting Deep Battle Doctrine has paid off dividends

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
hasnt joe biden been saying from the start that he wasnt gonna commit us troops to defend ukraine, so like what did ukraine expect.

has anything changed cuz i just see stuff about more sanctions

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1496818153065693190

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

703 posted:

What a strange thread

its a weird thing overall cuz the Russians were already operating militarily in Ukraine they just put a blanket over their heads and did "if i can't see you then you can't see me" because international law like all law is kind of lol when you can just ignore it