Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Tin Tim posted:

And dont get me started on 7,62, it has a very special place in my heart.
The thread would never get back on rails! :ohdear:

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

I installed the AIMNAS mod this LP uses and then I didn't have my 'skip boring beginning bits' saves that I have so I don't have to go to Omerta or take Drassen with a dirt filled saturday night special. And trying to do the same kinda killed my interest some and then I started playing 7.62.

I use the GABBI codes (not sure if spoiler) when I start out so that I can essentially skip Omerta and occasionally the taking of the Drassen Airport. I'm too temperamental with my IMPs to just use saves to skip the early game.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Emissary666 posted:

I use the GABBI codes (not sure if spoiler) when I start out so that I can essentially skip Omerta and occasionally the taking of the Drassen Airport. I'm too temperamental with my IMPs to just use saves to skip the early game.

I do this at times. I don't like using the GABBI codes but every once in a while it beats that. I've used the XML's to tweak the starting loadouts and stuff but it's more the establishing myself part that gets kinda tired. Until I've got stable income I've always got a nagging feeling of holy gently caress must not gently caress up and poo poo like that. Also I don't like not always having a team of mercs. And it can be playing it Team Gumpy style a bit of a pain.

Tin Tim posted:

I can really understand where youre comming from. It is pretty boring to do that over and over. I wish there was a way to skip the Omerta sequence at least.
But the game does give you options to spice it up.
I personally have changed my way in so far that i take Chitzena first to gear up a bit. Then i take Drassen and brace myself for the giant gently caress all counterattack.
One could even edit the starting loadouts via xml or place a crate with gear in the dropsector with the map editor.
1.13 is all about flexibility, and while it takes some learning it is not really rocket science.

And dont get me started on 7,62, it has a very special place in my heart.
The thread would never get back on rails! :ohdear:

I was doing this in my most recent playthrough. I took the first sector of Chitzena and then it just went :effort:. I love fighting off that Drassen counter attack though. I might try some of those other shenagins to give myself some crazy fun times. (Mortars).

I might look into that map editor though. Does doing so require a new game, or can I just gently caress with the sector where my mercs are and give 'em stuff?

You know what to do to stop the derail.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I think the derail is sanctioned till the update hits.
:)

Emissary666 posted:

Thats understandable but really there are only so many Imp skill sets that will work for the whole game. Take the gunslinger for example. A really fun concept that has massive advantages during the early-mid game but falls flat once high range weapons are common. I have a certain set of Imp skills that i´ll always take just because they work well and cover what you need. A lot of combos are gimmicky or just not worth it when you analyse it.
Also Ja has the handy feature that you can always recreate an Imp if you type in his nickname instead of the number code. Though you must have created that Imp at one point with that particular instal. I can hardly remember a game without my main man "Kevlar" who takes all the hits and does not care.

SpookyLizard posted:

I do this at times. I don't like using the GABBI codes but every once in a while it beats that. I've used the XML's to tweak the starting loadouts and stuff but it's more the establishing myself part that gets kinda tired. Until I've got stable income I've always got a nagging feeling of holy gently caress must not gently caress up and poo poo like that. Also I don't like not always having a team of mercs. And it can be playing it Team Gumpy style a bit of a pain.

At this point it really comes down to your playstyle. Nothing is preventing you from raising the starting cash to recruit a team of good soldiers. You dont even have to free the towns. Make money along the way and fight what you want it is totally possible. Or start with enough cash to afford them for like a month and just have fun.
JA supports a ton of different styles wily nilly. It is just a matter of trying them to find one you like.

I personally play a pretty hard game.
Expert mode with raised garrisons, 70% blackshirts per group, doubled the queens pool of troops and raised her reinforcements when the pool is empty.
This makes for a slow and sometimes tedious game but i like to hit the four digit kill count by midgame. Also this setting keeps the Queen more aggressive and willing to attack.
In the normal game she will just stop after some time.
And i get to use heavy weapons with effect, as i always feel it is a waste to blast three soldiers. A cluster of twelve is a different matter.

After playing for so long this is just my cup of tea.
I know a lot of players who play wildly different styles. The Team Gumpy way is always liked by some and others insert a team of crack soldiers who will head straight towards Meduna.
I even know of folks who play with only one Imp and stealth the whole game. Dont be afraid to try and even cheating to see what works is totally fine by me.

SpookyLizard posted:

I love fighting off that Drassen counter attack though I might try some of those other shenagins to give myself some crazy fun times. (Mortars).

The Drassen counter is probably the most hated and beloved thing by the community.
It was present in the base game but was disabled by the devs, as were airstikes by the Queen.
New players always rage about beeing slaughtered and vets will tell the most awesome tales about it. I have a save with mortars and all the good stuff for the attack, just when i feel like nuking poo poo.

I personally would have that feature for every town, except for Chitzena. Because it is just a resort town full of natives which nobody gives a gently caress about. And you have to start somewhere. But even if you go for Drassen straight away it is possible to survive. You have to exploit the AI and hunker down in the bar to interrupt soldiers who come through the door. Not fun but possible.

SpookyLizard posted:

I might look into that map editor though. Does doing so require a new game, or can I just gently caress with the sector where my mercs are and give 'em stuff?

IIRC it only works on maps which you have not visited in your playthrough. Once the map was loaded it is set for that game.

Would you look at all those :words: !
I have to leave now but will regale you with tales about 7,62 later. Yes i can see that you are very excited but it would be best if you lower your expectations a bit. :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 16, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

SpookyLizard posted:

You know what to do to stop the derail.

I'm pretty sure the implication is "Tell us all about your feelings regarding 7.62, friend."

I'm also curious, but that's because people only say "Don't get me started on X" when they either have a ton of interesting things to say, or absolutely nothing at all, and I'd like to know which it is.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I'm pretty sure the implication is "Tell us all about your feelings regarding 7.62, friend."

Honestly, I'm happy to have any discussion in here that people want to have as long as it's at least tenuously connected to guns, bombs, military hardware, mercenaries, Jeeps, ice cream trucks, helicopters, evil dictators, organized crime, or anything else that can be justified by connecting it in some vague way to JA2 and/or Burn Notice. Yes, this includes 7.62.

My only request is that, when I'm doing a vote, to please keep those posts on-topic so I don't have to sort through a bunch of unrelated stuff when I'm trying to tally me banana.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Within a week this thread will be solely about discussing WWII :(

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

FiddlersThree posted:

Honestly, I'm happy to have any discussion in here that people want to have as long as it's at least tenuously connected to guns, bombs, military hardware, mercenaries, Jeeps, ice cream trucks, helicopters, evil dictators, organized crime, or anything else that can be justified by connecting it in some vague way to JA2 and/or Burn Notice. Yes, this includes 7.62.

My only request is that, when I'm doing a vote, to please keep those posts on-topic so I don't have to sort through a bunch of unrelated stuff when I'm trying to tally me banana.

No problemo, man. All you gotta do is the say word, and we'll re-rail ourselves. :)

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I'm also curious, but that's because people only say "Don't get me started on X" when they either have a ton of interesting things to say, or absolutely nothing at all, and I'd like to know which it is.

Wonderful, amazing, totally awesome, buggy as gently caress, terrible Russian game. BSM makes the game much more playable, though certain bits need to be ignored. Namely 90% of the dialog that BSM adds in it's own sort of 'play for yourself' mode. That and there are some fights which are just infuriatingly difficult. Oh, and about 99% of ambushes are in fact not ambushes, they just involve you showing up with some badguys on the map and you get to shoot at them. not like, plan out and have time before they show up on the map or anything. (There's also a LP in TFR of it that just finished, if you would like to know more).

Tin Tim posted:

I think the derail is sanctioned till the update hits.
:)

Also Ja has the handy feature that you can always recreate an Imp if you type in his nickname instead of the number code. Though you must have created that Imp at one point with that particular instal. I can hardly remember a game without my main man "Kevlar" who takes all the hits and does not care.

I would like to know more. I think I've made the same merc a billion loving times. Are you telling me this could've been defeated by just typing Zakalwe into the box instead of XEP624?

Tin Tim posted:

At this point it really comes down to your playstyle. Nothing is preventing you from raising the starting cash to recruit a team of good soldiers. You dont even have to free the towns. Make money along the way and fight what you want it is totally possible. Or start with enough cash to afford them for like a month and just have fun.
JA supports a ton of different styles wily nilly. It is just a matter of trying them to find one you like.

I'll have to start playing about it with sometime soon. It's mostly just :effort: and time that's keeping me from really getting into doing so. That and that beginning of the game tedium thing.

Tin Tim posted:

I personally play a pretty hard game.
Expert mode with raised garrisons, 70% blackshirts per group, doubled the queens pool of troops and raised her reinforcements when the pool is empty.
This makes for a slow and sometimes tedious game but i like to hit the four digit kill count by midgame. Also this setting keeps the Queen more aggressive and willing to attack.
In the normal game she will just stop after some time.
And i get to use heavy weapons with effect, as i always feel it is a waste to blast three soldiers. A cluster of twelve is a different matter.

After playing for so long this is just my cup of tea.
I know a lot of players who play wildly different styles. The Team Gumpy way is always liked by some and others insert a team of crack soldiers who will head straight towards Meduna.
I even know of folks who play with only one Imp and stealth the whole game. Dont be afraid to try and even cheating to see what works is totally fine by me.
That style sounds pretty fun though. I might have to give that a try sometime. Doubt i'll ever try a single imp stealth thing, though. I love the Team Gumpy style of play, will probably do that again sometime soon.

Tin Tim posted:

The Drassen counter is probably the most hated and beloved thing by the community.
It was present in the base game but was disabled by the devs, as were airstikes by the Queen.
New players always rage about beeing slaughtered and vets will tell the most awesome tales about it. I have a save with mortars and all the good stuff for the attack, just when i feel like nuking poo poo.

I personally would have that feature for every town, except for Chitzena. Because it is just a resort town full of natives which nobody gives a gently caress about. And you have to start somewhere. But even if you go for Drassen straight away it is possible to survive. You have to exploit the AI and hunker down in the bar to interrupt soldiers who come through the door. Not fun but possible.

I love that attack. I had a similar save in regards to the hicks outside Cambria. All I had to do was have someone push the button, and the place exploded, mercs in place to open fire with heavy MG's into the newly created windows, a mortar ready to dump fire and gas on anyone unlucky enough to be out in the open, a dude with the AICW/OICW ready to autofire three mustard gas grenades into the newly created doors in the rednecks house. I love doing it with Kingpin too. I might just have to use that map editor to drop some fun gear in Drassen (they still attack the mine as their first target, right?), to handle that attack.

Tin Tim posted:

IIRC it only works on maps which you have not visited in your playthrough. Once the map was loaded it is set for that game.

Got it. I'll have to try it out then. Is it terrible difficult to use or is it more or less straight forward?

Tin Tim posted:

Would you look at all those :words: !
I have to leave now but will regale you with tales about 7,62 later. Yes i can see that you are very excited but it would be best if you lower your expectations a bit. :v:

Oh, I know where my expectations need sit. I've beaten the game before.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
East of San Mona, Arulco
July 16, 2011 -- 0039 EST

“Alright, everyone… Huddle up.”

“What is it, Sam?”

“Remember that mass of enemy troops heading for Drassen that we weren’t worried about?”

Michael grimaces.

“They’re not going to Drassen, are they?”

“They’re past the bridge and heading straight for the SAM site.”

“The garrison there isn’t strong enough to withstand a full assault… How long until they get there?”

“Eight, maybe nine hours?”

“Do you think we can get there in time?”

“Only because we have something they don’t.”

“What’s that?”

“A helicopter.”

Arriving at the SAM site with hours to spare before the enemy force reaches them, Michael and the team begin planning their defenses.

“Ahhh… land mines!”

“Use ‘em. Just remember where you put ‘em, so we can pull the unexploded ones after the fight.”

“Dis base have very many mines. Is surrounded by mines. Maybe adding few more make no matter.”

“And we’re going to flag and disarm all of those mines, too, as soon as we get the chance.”

Fidel frowns.

“Da. Fidel do dis. Fidel also have surprises bigger den land mines, too.”

Fidel pats his demolitions bag with a grin.

“Do what you can. We’re going to need every edge we can get to stop them without decimating this garrison.”

Fidel sets a few land mines well outside the perimeter…

…and then rigs two bricks of C-4 with remote detonators and conceals them near a few stunted trees outside the main gates of the facility. With Michael engrossed in tactical discussion with Sam and Thor, Fidel also sneaks out two mustard gas canisters pillaged from Arulcan Army dead and affixes one to each explosive.

With their explosives set, the team takes up their positions. Michael perches in the southwest guard tower with his SVU, with Fidel and his M249 in the sandbagged position over the garage. Sam goes prone to plug the gate with his M42, while Thor mans the office to keep an eye on any possible enemy flanking attack on the east gate.

Now all that is left is to get some sleep and wait for the attack…

----------------------------

Northeast of Grumm, Arulco
July 16, 2011 -- 0319 EST

“Hamous! Up and at ‘em!”

In the darkness of their makeshift camp northeast of Grumm, Jesse rouses his team from their short rest. Hamous groggily pulls himself up.

“Yea--…? Hamous is ready!”

“What is the plan, eh?”

“There’s an enemy checkpoint on the road south of here. We need to get control of it before dawn.”

The team performs a quick weapons, gear, and armor check. Hamous looks glumly at his revolver.

“When can Hamous get real gun?”

“There should be plenty of firepower to choose from once we take out this squad. Until then, my friend, I’d advise you to stay back from the action.”

An hour and a half later, the team is crouched just north of a checkpoint guarding the main road into Grumm, the beating industrial heart of Arulco. With the defensive positions arranged in anticipation of a direct attack up the roads, it is an easy decision for the team to approach the checkpoint through the cover offered by the forest.

Jesse takes point with his suppressed MP7, with Blood and his throwing knives following close behind. The rest of the team strings out in the rear to provide support if and when the fight goes loud.

It’s not long before Jesse makes contact, and two quick shots dispatch the blackshirt picket. As he and Blood close in on the checkpoint’s lone building, Jesse spots and drops another enemy.

Unfortunately, it seems that this kill was spotted by the enemy, who alerts his squad to the rebel attack. Covering the corner of the building, Blood switches to his AK-74M as he spots a blackshirt charging to intercept. His quick-fired burst hits once, badly injuring but not killing the target, who drops behind the truck for cover.

At the opposite corner of the building, Jesse endures the taunts of two enemy soldiers before dropping them both with well-placed rounds.

With their forward element at risk of being overwhelmed, Ice, Ira, and Hamous spring into action. Ice jogs forward a short ways and drops prone, setting up his M60 to cover the west side of the building. He does so not a moment too soon, just as a blackshirt starts rounding the corner to catch Blood. Thanks to Ice, all the soldier catches is a thick hail of 7.62mm rounds to the chest.

Hamous jogs up to the dead picket and grabs his weapon, an AK-74M, as Ira crouches behind the cover of a tree and raises her SVD to help Jesse cover the east side of the building. Her position pays off immediately, as a blackshirt inside the building wanders in front of the window and suddenly finds his head exploding.

As another enemy races along the side of the building towards the action, Hamous depresses the trigger of his newly acquired assault rifle and guns him down.

“Is just like old times!”

Blood emerges from his corner to finish off the first enemy that he wounded, only to hear movement overhead. Quick on the trigger, Ice takes out the rooftop guard with a burst of autofire before he can get the drop on Blood.

“That’s twice I saved your rear end tonight, Blood!”

“I’m just trying to help you feel like an important member of the team.”

With a little more caution, Blood advances down the side of the building and catches sight of a blackshirt standing in the middle of the street. Two shots and she is down. From the other side of the building comes the loud report of Ira’s SVD as she finishes another.

With only one more enemy remaining, the team spreads out to hunt, and they eventually find the lone enemy trying to escape up the northeast road. Concerned that any escapees could warn the Army about their imminent attack on Grumm (and with a game engine that lacks a ‘taking-prisoners’ mechanic), Jesse finishes her off.

A mortar! A 40mm mortar! Unfortunately, there are no shells for it, but that’s not going to stop Jesse from making Hamous lug it around. Speaking of Hamous, he picks through the loot and outfits himself with an AK-103, armor, grenades, a combat pack, and a Night Spy night-vision device. The load is heavy, but he can just drop the mortar before entering combat. He also has a single-shot grenade launcher slung under his AK, but again, he has no shells for it, so it remains as just a tantalizing taste of things to come for the Metaviran native.

With equipment sorted, the team settles in to wait for dawn and the official start of the Battle of Grumm.

----------------------------

Drassen SAM Site, Arulco
July 16, 2011 -- 0903 EST

With the rising sun comes the attack. Four full squads of blackshirts – 32 soldiers – press on the SAM site, looking to reclaim the skies for their Queen and shut down the rebel supply lines. Behind the fenceline of the facility, the militia gather eagerly in anticipation of the coming battle, and only a stern instruction from Thor keeps them from charging out to meet the enemy outside the walls.

From his vantage point in the guard tower, Michael draws a bead on a cluster of five blackshirts approaching from the west. Two shots later, and one is dead and one is wounded.

Taking the cue, Fidel opens up with his M60 on another small group approaching up the road. Again, one goes down, with a second badly injured.

From his position at the gate, Sam catches two enemies out and guns them both down…

… but the hail of fire does little to stem the tide of the Arulcan Royal Army’s massed assault on the front gate.

“Ahh… Fidel? Whatever that surprise is you cooked up, now is the time.”

“Do not worry! Fidel has very nice surprise for de Queen-men!”

Fidel slips his remote trigger out of his pocket and clicks the first button. The two hidden bricks of C-4 detonate right in the center of the enemy positions, catching a half-dozen blackshirts in the explosions. Sam’s elation at the sight turns to confusion, however, then dismay as he sees thick yellow gas roiling out from the explosion sites.

After taking a moment to admire his handiwork, Fidel turns his machine gun back on the approaching blackshirts to his south and kills two more. As for Sam, his shock at seeing the gas attack is quickly suppressed in favor of pouring more lead on the surviving attackers, and his burst drops two more targets.

Meanwhile, from his position in the facility office, Thor’s short-range MP5 has nowhere near the range to be effective against the attackers. With the east apparently secure from attack, he dashes out of the office and heads for the east gate.

Michael keeps up his relentlessly accurate fire, picking off three more enemies in the west, while Sam and Fidel keep up their own withering full-auto barrage. Sam’s fire, unfortunately, is interrupted when an overeager militiaman jumps directly into his field of fire and takes a hollow-point 7.92x57mm Mauser round to the leg. Cursing, Sam stops firing.

In the meantime, Thor does his best to make it into the combat zone where he can contribute before all of the enemies are dead.

Fidel and Michael continue raining bullets down on the small cluster of enemies trying to rally at the bend in the road, and a few moments later, militia-hurled grenades add to the woes of the royalist forces.

Sam manages to find an opening between the militiamen charging out to finish the rout, and drops a burst of fire on the one enemy soldier he can still see at the edges of the mustard gas cloud.

Too far away to even have a ghost of a chance at hitting anything, Thor can only watch. :(

With only a couple of foes left, Sam wearily steps aside and just lets the swarm of militia dash past him. He winces as he watches them stumbling through the still-active minefield.

“Uhhh… guys? Watch your step, huh?”

But the militia do appear to have acquainted themselves with the placement of the mines around the facility, and they manage to avoid the potentially catastrophic tripping of any of the deadly devices. Instead, they continue hurling grenades, and manage to blow up both of the remaining enemies with little fuss or fanfare.

“Hey Fidel, you want to tell me why there was mustard gas boiling up from those bombs you set?”

Michael looks up at same, surprised.

“Mustard gas, Sam? Are you sure?”

“drat sure. Right when Fidel triggered his C-4, gas came up from both spots."

“Why it matter? Our bullets kill many more men den dis gas.”

“Why does it matter? Mustard gas is a terrible weapon, and we are in a civilian area!”

“I see no civilian here.”

“Fidel, did you rig mustard gas grenades to your C-4?”

Fidel shrugs innocently.

“Fidel do not know how dis gas get dere. Maybe de enemy soldiers carry dis gas?”

Michael stares hard at Fidel, who meets his gaze without flinching and continues his casual defense.

“We know de enemy carry dis gas sometime. Maybe dis time de grenades break when de C-4 explode, eh?”

“I hope that’s the case. Because I will personally put a bullet in the head of anyone who uses mustard gas in Arulco, wherever their paycheck happens to come from. Are we clear?”

Fidel smiles at Michael.

“Oh yes, Fidel understand very well.”

The haul for this battle is not too impressive, but it does give Thor the opportunity to select a rifle to give him some utility in longer-ranged fights like this one. Although his MP5 will still be his bread and butter, Thor picks up the Mini-14 with Enhanced Battle Rifle stock and outfits it with a few accessories. It’s no world-beater, but it’s lightweight and easy to use. Thor also grabs the four magazines of AET ammo for his MP5, which will make it that much deadlier. Otherwise, Fidel resupplies on explosives (including those two mustard gas grenades :ssh:), and that’s about it for gear changes.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The Arulcan Army fits out its troops with such a random assortment of gear. You've got hunting rifles and pistol-caliber carbines intended for recreational shooting alongside surplus Russian assault rifles, modern guns mixed in with poo poo left over from WW2...hell, not even their uniforms are very uniform. It's not just a problem with AIMNAS either, the main game had the same issue. It's just more pronounced here because there are more guns.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Bates posted:

The Arulcan Army fits out its troops with such a random assortment of gear. You've got hunting rifles and pistol-caliber carbines intended for recreational shooting alongside surplus Russian assault rifles, modern guns mixed in with poo poo left over from WW2...hell, not even their uniforms are very uniform. It's not just a problem with AIMNAS either, the main game had the same issue. It's just more pronounced here because there are more guns.

I like to think of it as the Queen doesn't actually outfit her troops with anything but the lowest end, cheapest gear, so most of what they're using are weapons they've bought with their own money.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like to think of it as the Queen doesn't actually outfit her troops with anything but the lowest end, cheapest gear, so most of what they're using are weapons they've bought with their own money.

Yeah, I think of it as something like the Arulcan army being more of a gang than a real military. They don't really have uniforms, and they carry whatever they've managed to steal, with some purchased weaponry being distributed to the commander's friends.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Considering their tactics and their questionable training, the army being more of a gang is pretty accurate to be honest.

Likewise with the militia, just with less survivability.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Haha, i like the way you are going wth Fidel! And in his defense, it is totally possible that the gas could have come from the soldiers equipment. Every explosive/grenade has a stat which governs how likely it will blow up in your pocket when hit by an explosion. Molotovs for instance are really flimsy, i lost an entire team to this once.
:supaburn:

SpookyLizard posted:

I would like to know more. I think I've made the same merc a billion loving times. Are you telling me this could've been defeated by just typing Zakalwe into the box instead of XEP624?

I might just have to use that map editor to drop some fun gear in Drassen (they still attack the mine as their first target, right?), to handle that attack.
Yes.

SpookyLizard posted:

Got it. I'll have to try it out then. Is it terrible difficult to use or is it more or less straight forward?
It is more or less intuitive but i remember it took some time before i got used to the interface.
Also thanks for the info about the 7,62 Lp, reading that so hard!
Man i would have been all over that thread. :(

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well those blackshirt´s with anti-material rifles must be loaded like mad then. Imagine a flashy and pimped out garrison town for them to hang out between fights.

So let´s talk about 7,62 a "bit" here.

First off all it is a bad game. But it is one of those bad games which has a tiny diamond hidden beneath a layer of poo poo.
I bought it for the full price of fiffty bucks and was so very thrilled when i discovered that i could not play it at home.
Why you aks?
Because it´s release was rushed and forced, leading to a totally bugged product and the translation/localisation hosed it up even more. Apparently russians have different folder structures than us.
I had to find a forum for it and gather the fixes people made to play the game i just bought. That was wonderful.
:bang:

The list of bugs includes, being unable to load shotguns&grenade launchers due to translation errors, crahsing during auto fire and crashing whenever it felt like it. The game files would eventually corrupt themselves forcing you to re-instal and purge your saves because they will crash and it still has a lovely memory leak which will crash the game every time after 2-3 hours of play.
Also it is a drat memory hog. This is partly expected because the engine has to calculate the actions and time use of 40+ different actors in real time during big fights plus all the bullets and fragments. The devs made exactly one patch for the game which didn´t fix anything besides reducing the memory usage. And they did that in a retarded way.

See, what is really really good about 7,62 is the fighting. The game uses a smart pause system(SPM) and calculates actions in seconds/milliseconds. So everything you do cost´s time instead of AP and you can hit pause whenever you want to set up orders and make plans. The fighting can get really intense and you will feel the heat of battle.
But with the patch they decided the best way to reduce memory load was to let the AI take certain actions without time usage. And mainly those were switching weapons and pulling out grenades. It is really great to have soldiers just materialize grenades/weapons right in front of you, when the same action takes you at least five or so seconds.

The story is really shallow and irrelevant. You can go two differnt routes and then make some minor choices in each route. Going against everyone is also possible but again bugged, not fleshed out and makes even less sense. Many features didnt make it into the release like proper town management, that your own mechanic can actually repair things or that a medic can restore your health.
What mercs you can recruit all have backstory and some things you can ask them but they have no personality at all. And that five or so voiceclips per soldier dont help either.

The stat system is also dumb because while gun skills will raise with use, physical skills will hardly raise and there even is a cap how much you can gain per day.
Get this, most soldiers have lovely strength and a good protective vest is really heavy! You can only gain str by walking around overloaded on the map which will get you killed in combat and drive you insane when grinding it in a town. No training on assignment or on the worldmap. I eventually just edited the ini files to not have to deal with that bullshit. Also there are some obscure stat´s which are very hard to raise and some wont raise at all.
To top this off, only a handfull of mercs are smart enough to gain stats at a decent rate while the rest is dumb as a rock and will gain very few points.
Getting the good ones is painfull because the mercs randomly rotate through the different bars in the country.

Being a 3d game you get the glitchy things from the world that you would expect, but it does look neat. The camera control is surprisingly decent when you get used to it.
Gear and people are modeled competently and the ragdolls are hilarious. But the big problem is that the maps are full of invisible lines and borders which prevent you from going to advantageous places and gently caress with pathing. Also clusters of trees and bushes are often just a solid object so you cant get in between them to take cover.

But as said, i dealt with all this crap because the combat is just that good. Really good.
Besides the truckload of weapons and ballistic mechanics they included shock and adrenalin for everyone. Shock will prevent you from doing anything for a moment after getting hit or being in the wave radius of explosions. While adrenalin will make inexperienced mercs freak out, act faster and reduces accuracy. The damage model is good and you can get limb damage which makes you drop your gun and reduces your performance. If an engagement goes south it will really get FUBAR in no time.

So, should you get his game? Maybe, if it is cheap.
But for the love of god get the community patch to play the vanilla game and set the gamedirs to read only to prevent corruption. SpookyLizard already mentioned the BSM mod which is the way to go if you really want to have fun with the game. Granted some stuff in it is a matter of taste but overall it is very good. The only grudge i have with it is the lack of player direction.

As a little tidbit the studio behind 7,62 is closed and never released the code to the engine and SPM system so we may hope for it to show up again.
They made a pretty cool fallout-esque tech demo and another full release before closing. The release was "Marauder: Men of Prey", which is a linear game in a dystopian future based on the book. Its pretty cool and more focussed on RPG elements and the story while keeping the combat.
Also it is stable. :toot:
But getting a legal english version is very hard. There is another long story behind this and i might tell it when i actually decide to Lp it. :ssh:

Let me close my speech with a fond memory of 7,62.

Sorry for flooding yout thread FiddlersThree! :ohdear:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 17, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The BSM mod fixes most of the bugs Tin Tim talked about. Except the memory leak. The translation is pretty decent, and they've added/improved upon some stuff that makes pretty good in someways. The game is still layers of poo poo on top of some really golden combat, though, in some ways. The beginning part of the game mostly involves walking/driving around doing odd jobs for folks before you start to really get into the uninteresting story. Feel free to post in that thread some, its got a lot of 7.62 discussion in there.

I get the idea that a lot of the Deidranas dudes are just corrupt fuckers who steal a lot of the procument poo poo, buying up old milsurp and sporter rifles instead of high grade military gear. The only people really loyal are the Blackshirts who are sufficiently cowboyish/specops to outfit themselves as they like.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

But getting a legal english version is very hard. There is another long story behind this and i might tell it when i actually decide to Lp it. :ssh:
I've found it as a cheap (and legal) digital download on GamersGate, in case anyone is interested in getting it.
And, despite all the bad, it is worth playing it, even though I've yet to actually try the Blue Sun mod. :downs:

Edit:

SpookyLizard posted:

(There's also a LP in TFR of it that just finished, if you would like to know more)
I can't believe I've missed it! Oh well, time to read through it. :v:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 17, 2012

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Feel free to post in that thread some, its got a lot of 7.62 discussion in there.
Well the Lp is over and it would feel strange to pile info in the thread now. The style was not really informative to begin with. I did it anyway.
I know an unholy amount of things about 7,62. Especially when it comes to milk/break the game and the questlines.
Maybe i do an Lp of the base game first, as i still have to iron out some things for Man of prey.

radintorov posted:

I've found it as a cheap (and legal) digital download on GamersGate, in case anyone is interested in getting it.
I was refering to Man of prey. Getting 7,62 in english is easy as pie.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 17, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Mortars! Joy! They sound even more random one-shotty than grenades.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Glazius posted:

Mortars! Joy! They sound even more random one-shotty than grenades.

Mortars are the greatest thing in the world :allears:

The map editor is fairly easy to utilize. Also, once you've entered a cell it'll only refer to the established items in the sector, but if you change the map file it'll change. Or that's what it looked like to me. I gave myself a pile of guns and was disappointed to learn the AICW/OICW neither come with their inbuilt items, and since they are exclusive to those items you can't just add 'em yourself. Lame. I was gonna enjoy Grunty chain firing 40mm's.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

SpookyLizard posted:

Lame. I was gonna enjoy Grunty chain firing 40mm's.

Someone needs to draw this. I don't care if you can do it in the game or not.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Drakenel posted:

Someone needs to draw this. I don't care if you can do it in the game or not.

You can. It is awesome. AICW is an F-88 carbine with a MetalStorm 40mm triple-shot grenade launcher on top. That can autofire.

One thing to note though- Never autofire thermobaric grenades. It is too much for the game to handle. Did that once, CTD after the second explosion

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

Mortars are the greatest thing in the world :allears:

Mortars are the greatest thing in the world as long as it's you that's using them. It cuts both ways - you can rain hellfire on a force ten times your size, or you can have your entire team one-shotted with a single shell from halfway across the map as soon as combat starts.

Fortunately, the AI is seriously loving lovely at selecting ordnance when it has multiple types to choose from, so you'll have situations where what would have been a total-party wipe is instead nothing more than a minor annoyance because you were hit with a smoke shell or an illumination flare instead of HE or mustard gas - even if the enemy had actual effective ordnance in his inventory. The net effect is that mortars are still potentially a serious threat when the enemy has them (if your team is clustered up tight and the enemy drops an HE round on their heads, it will kill every last one of you), but they won't render the game impossible.

On the other hand, when you have them, they're borderline unbalancing, their only real weaknesses being weight, incredibly bulky and heavy ammunition, and the fact that they have a sizable minimum effective range, within which they're worse than useless. They're also totally useless for clearing buildings, and thus of limited utility in urban engagements. Against a large number of enemies on a reasonably open battlefield at long range, though, there is no equal - you can literally wipe out a sixty-strong force with two dudes lobbing shells constantly. The enemy won't even get a shot off.

When HE shells or mustard gas just won't do - an urban environment with heavy civilian presence, for example - AIMNAS adds tear gas and stun rounds, along with incendiary rounds for area denial and smoke rounds to cover an advance or a retreat. Mortars basically add a whole new dimension to the game.

e: Incidentally, enemy (and AI-controlled friendly) mortar troopers will occasionally fire illumination rounds in broad daylight, which is just :psyduck:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Paingod556 posted:

You can. It is awesome. AICW is an F-88 carbine with a MetalStorm 40mm triple-shot grenade launcher on top. That can autofire.

One thing to note though- Never autofire thermobaric grenades. It is too much for the game to handle. Did that once, CTD after the second explosion

It's really amazing. Burst firing the GL is just goddamned beautiful.

Mustard Gas shells are just so goddamned broken. I can only imagine the number of times the arulcan army was like "why is the enemy wearing gas masks :supaburn: oh god oh god". They hideously level the field. You can, to an extent, clear buildings with them. Open doors will allow gas to pass through, and I think broken windows as well. Or walls demolished by RPG's and stacks of C4. I wish there were dedicated packs for mortar shells and stuff to optimize using them. Mainly the variety thing. I'd love being able to mix and match spots so I could carry one or two illumination shells, but not have to worry about types loving up stacking.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Among the many, many items AIMNAS adds, there is indeed at least one combat pack designed specifically for carrying 60mm mortar shells, as well as mortar shell leg rigs. They're fairly hard to come by and relatively expensive, but still invaluable for a mortar trooper.

Totally agree on mustard gas shells being broken; one backpack full of those will pretty much kill everyone in Arulco with no chance of retaliation - it has all the stun potential of teargas with the added bonus of rapid lethality. It's still a blast to use, though, broken or not. That said, I won't be using it in my current playthrough as a self-imposed challenge, leaving the mortar 'merely' the best weapon in the game, rather than completely gamebreaking.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Among the many, many items AIMNAS adds, there is indeed at least one combat pack designed specifically for carrying 60mm mortar shells, as well as mortar shell leg rigs. They're fairly hard to come by and relatively expensive, but still invaluable for a mortar trooper.

Totally agree on mustard gas shells being broken; one backpack full of those will pretty much kill everyone in Arulco with no chance of retaliation - it has all the stun potential of teargas with the added bonus of rapid lethality. It's still a blast to use, though, broken or not. That said, I won't be using it in my current playthrough as a self-imposed challenge, leaving the mortar 'merely' the best weapon in the game, rather than completely gamebreaking.

Blackshirts have gasmasks and can even be wearing them to begin with. Of course this will generally do the opposite of decimation. INstead of killing one in ten, one in ten will have a gas mask and be able to walk away to get picked off by a sniper or or machinegun or other poo poo

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Man alive. I played through the next bit (the first two sectors of the Battle of Grumm), and I've got over 250 screenshots to sort through. The first battle in particular was a bloody mess.

May take me a couple additional days to get all these images sorted, giffed, and written up...

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Don't die, thread! :smith:

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Mister Bates posted:

Don't die, thread! :smith:

Definitely not dead, nor even close to it. Just had a sick two-year-old last week, plus said sick kid's birthday party on Sunday, combined with the general largeness of this current update.

The new post is actually almost done. Assuming no new crises, I should be able to get it finished and posted tomorrow morning.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

I was refering to Man of prey. Getting 7,62 in english is easy as pie.
Sorry about that, I should've read the post better. :downs:

FiddlersThree posted:

Definitely not dead, nor even close to it. Just had a sick two-year-old last week, plus said sick kid's birthday party on Sunday, combined with the general largeness of this current update.
As always, real life takes precedence. Still, thanks for letting us know that the next update will come out soon. :shobon:

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Drassen SAM Site, Arulco
July 16, 2011 -- 0905 EST

With the SAM site once again safe, and the cheering militia gradually returning to their routine tasks, Michael, Sam, Fidel, and Thor huddle up.

“So what’s the plan, boss? Back to San Mona?”

“We haven’t even begun to address our business there yet. I’d like to meet this Angel that the bartender mentioned. The way he was talking, Angel sounded like someone who’s had more dealings with Kingpin than is good for him. He might be able to tell us a lot.”

Michael clicks his radio.

“Skyrider, do you copy?”

“I read you loud and clear, Cap. SAM site secure?”

“SAM site secure. We need transport back to San Mona.”

“Copy that. I’ll spin her up.”

With Michael’s team getting back on track to address the Kingpin issue, Fiona and Jesse set out with their squads from their camps just outside of Grumm, with Jesse’s group targeting the southeast part of town (home to the mine) and Fiona hitting the port on the north side of the city.

As Jesse and Fiona march to battle, Michael recovers his Jeep from where it was stowed and drives back into San Mona.

“Hey, that bartender said we’d find this Angel in a leather shop, right?”

“Does that sign say ’Cow Hides’?”

“I guess that’s the place.”

“Arulcans really seem to have a thing for no-nonsense marketing. They really tell exactly you what you’re getting.”

As the heavily armed team enters, the smallish, edgy man behind the register sizes them up.

“What can I do for you gentlemen?”

“I hear that you’re someone we should talk to about Kingpin.”

Angel’s eyes dart around the shop, at the few customers inside. Sam gets the hint. He hefts his MG42 and begins waving it around.

“Hey! Woo! Crazy foreigner here! Crazy foreigner with a machine gun! You’d all best get out before I do somethin’ crazy!”

Giving the big, loaded-for-bear American odd looks, the shop’s patrons shuffle out the door, which Fidel closes and locks behind them. With a glance outside, he turns the store’s sign from OPEN to CLOSED.

“Really, Sam?”

“Hey, it worked, didn’t it?”

Michael shrugs and turns back to Angel, who is watching the team warily.

“Sorry for driving off your customers like that. Do you know who we are?”

“You are the rebel mercenaries, yes? The ones who have liberated Chitzena and Drassen?”

“That’s right.”

“Have you come to liberate San Mona, too?”

“That depends on what we can learn about the Kingpin.”

“What does it depend on?”

“He’s offered to join forces with the rebels against Queen Deidranna.”

“Do you trust him to keep his promises?”

“Should I?”

Angel thinks for a moment.

“Let me tell you a story. In Meduna there was a family. There was a mother and a father, and a brother and a sister, and they loved each other very much. They had only little money, but they were happy. Then one day a man comes. This man says there are very good jobs in San Mona, jobs that pay a lot of money. They tell the sister she can be a waitress in a fancy casino, and rich foreigners will give her big tips. So she goes with the man.”

Angel pauses, gauging the reactions of the men in his shop.

“Weeks go by, and the mother and the father and the brother in Meduna hear nothing. They grow worried. Finally the brother takes what little money they have and comes to San Mona to find her. He does not find her in the casino, or in the restaurants. He finds her in the Shady Lady. A--…”

Angel has difficulty bringing himself to say the word. Finally, he pushes through.

“A whorehouse. But there are armed men there, and the whole town is filled with Kingpin’s men. There is nothing the brother can do to help his sister. So he takes his little money and he buys a small shop, and he waits, and he watches, and he listens, and he learns.”

Fidel scoffs.

“Bah! If men take Fidel’s sister and make her whore, Fidel would paint the walls with their blood!”

“That is an easy thing to say for a man with a gun.”

He turns back to Michael.

“I tell you this story because it is important you know what kind of man Kingpin is. He cares nothing for Arulco or its people. Only money and power concern him. If you wish to leave San Mona alive, you would be wise to avoid dealing with him.”

Michael is silent for a moment.

“Pack your things, Angel. Be ready to leave San Mona tonight.”

“I do not understand…”

“What’s your sister’s name?”

“Maria, but--… Why?”

“Just be ready to go. You may need to leave in a hurry.”

Bewildered, Angel watches as the four men leave his shop.

“I suppose this means we will not be seeking a meeting with the Kingpin?”

“Not at all. It’s even more important now that we sit down with him. Sam and I will try and set up the meeting, and you and Fidel find out where they’re holding Maria.”

Michael pauses as his eyes pass over the faces of the new age healer Thor and the sociopathic Cuban Fidel, and reconsiders the wisdom of sending the two of them to reconnoiter a whorehouse.

“On second thought… Thor, you’re with me. Sam, you and Fidel track down Maria.”

--------------------------------------------------

Southeast Grumm, Arulco
July 16, 2011 -- 1217 EST

Just after noon, Jesse and his team arrive at the outskirts of Grumm. Hamous lowers his binoculars.

“Must be careful and watch our backs. Dere is many enemies to east and west!”

“Alright, you hear that, everyone? Keep your eyes open!”

The team’s angle of approach brings them almost immediately into contact with a pair of patrolling blackshirts. With no chance to evade detection, the only hope is to take the two sentries down quickly and quietly. Jesse opens fire with his MP7, killing the first and badly wounding the second, while Blood finishes the injured soldier off with a well-placed blow to the throat.

The immediate threat removed, the team evaluates the situation.

“I don’t like this, man. We try and storm this place from the east, we’re just gonna get ourselves shot in the back.”

“There’s another gate on the west side of the mine. We could try that.”

“But dere are enemies to de west, too.”

“No… No, there’s a garrison to the west. They might send a couple guys, but they won’t risk the whole squad abandoning their posts to join the fight. If we can make it around to the west gate, we might have a shot at this.”

“Alright... Let’s do it.”

Keeping their heads low, the team sneaks through the tall grasses out of sight of the fortified mine’s defenders. Although there are a pair of houses directly across from the mine entrance that would provide excellent cover to shoot from, there is unfortunately no way to reach them… not with the guards clustered around the gate.

Instead, the team sets up in the tall grass at the edge of the road, with Jesse, Ira, and Ice providing the main fire on the gate, Hamous keeping a cautious eye on the north and east, and Blood prepared to support either the front or the flank as necessary.

On a signal from Jesse, Ice opens fire, his M60 raking the guards outside the gate with bullets, dropping two defenders almost immediately. Jesse and Ira contribute fire as well, each killing one target inside the sandbagged position.

Meanwhile, Hamous and Blood take fire from inside the A.C.A. building, which fortunately misses.

Hamous shifts position to return fire, and manages to make the kill and Jesse and Ice continue to lay down a wall of lead that chews up any of the defenders stupid enough to leave the safety of the mine’s defences.

“Hey guys? I think we are going to be having some company from the west! Keep your eyes peeled!”

Where previously there had been fifteen defenders in Grumm west of the mine, there are now only twelve.

Blood whips around to check their rear, and the caution is rewarded; three enemy soldiers are trying to creep up on their position! Blood pumps three rounds into the closest enemy, dropping him, while Hamous manages to put a round into the second.

Meanwhile, Ice, Jesse, and Ira continue to do their best to stem the flood of enemies pouring from the gates. One of them, however, manages to charge forward far enough to spray the team with a burst of auto-fire, lightly grazing Blood.

“Ice! Do something about that guy!”

“Don’t worry. I got ‘im.”

Blood and Hamous continue to concentrate their fire on the enemy flanking maneuver, finally eliminating the third of the enemy soldiers. Meanwhile, Ice rattles off a quick burst at the offending greenshirt who bloodied his friend. A second who tries to press forward also quickly falls.

A sudden burst of fire from an unknown enemy, however, suddenly takes Hamous in the chest. Two rounds slam into him, and the newest member of the team collapses in the grass, blood jetting out of his body as he groans in agony.

“Man down! Hamous is down!”

Blood turns to check his squadmate and spots the man who shot him – a greenshirt soldier who had managed to approach undetected from the east. Two shots later and the man goes down.

With the situation in front of the gate being well controlled by Ice and Jesse, Ira leaves her firing position and dashes over to try and save Hamous.

“Cover me, Blood!”

She bends over Hamous’ limp body and spills out the contents of her first-aid kit. She works quickly, doing her best to staunch the bleeding.

As fire continues to chatter from Jesse and Blood, Ira finishes sealing off Hamous’ wounds with a sigh of relief. Hamous is conscious, and even before Ira has finished wiping his blood from her hands, the plucky Metaviran native is already lifting his AK. He manages to squeeze off a shot through the pain, and manages to hit another enemy soldier approaching from the east.

The shot alerts Ira, who raises her Dragunov and finishes off the target. Through her scope, however, she spots what looks to be a major flanking maneuver from the defenders.

But the rest of the team has their own problems. Though the gate itself is quiet, a new flood of greenshirts is approaching from the south as well, and Ice and Jesse keep up a steady hail of fire, trying to chew them up before they can get too close.

Ira works fast, selecting targets, firing, and moving on to the next before even waiting to see if she has made the kill. Hamous too contributes as he can, despite each round he fires sending daggers of pain through his body.

But between the two of them, there simply isn’t enough firepower to stem the tide. As the enemies cluster for their attack, however, Ira’s increasing tactical awareness recognizes and opportunity.

“We need grenade support!”

“Coming right up!”

Blood sites his shot right in the center of the cluster, but unfortunately, the actual round falls short, doing little more than knocking a few of the soldiers on their asses. As Ira keeps up her own fire, Blood growls, raises his EX-41 a second time, and fires again.

This time, the grenade is right on the money, killing several and badly wounding a few more.

As the enemies to the east burn, Ice and Jesse continue to pour death on the reinforcements coming up from the south. Having now reached the gate, they are at the perfect range to cut down with machine gun fire.

“How many more of these guys are there, man? My gun’s gettin’ hot!”

Still the enemy soldiers press forward, even faster than Ice’s rod-and-spring-enabled M60 can cut them down.

“Blood, you got any more grenades in that beast of yours?”

“You need a little love?”

With a grin, the South African mercenary drops a perfectly placed HE grenade in the center of the new cluster of too-close-for-comfort enemies, eviscerating this final desperate push by the Queen’s soldiers in an explosion of fire and blood. Jesse and Ice pick off the few survivors at their leisure.

With enemy forces no longer pressing the attack, it’s time to hunt down the last of the mine’s defenders. Turning to face the south, Hamous spots one almost immediately in the A.C.A. building, and takes him down with a quick burst.

Covered by Ira, Blood eases his way along the mining commission building, checking the windows, and he spots a foe just on the other side. A blast of automatic fire later, the enemy falls.

Jesse and Ice advance, working their way towards the east gate. With Jesse’s ears alerting him to the presence of a soldier on the small tower overlooking the gate, he approaches with stealth and caution and pulls himself up. Luckily, the soldier had apparently been distracted by Blood’s elimination of the greenshirt by the mining commission office, and Jesse is able to finish him without the guard even knowing what hit him. With the tower sniper eliminated, Ira moves forward to support the attack.

From atop the guard tower, Jesse spots – and fires on – a blackshirt in the middle of the compound yard. He hits and wounds, and Blood finishes off the target by firing through the commission office. As Ira advances, she spots and kills a greenshirt soldier just as he appears from around the corner of the main mining facility.

From his position, Jesse catches sight of a blackshirt hiding in a sandbagged firing position deep in the compound. He fires a round which catches and wounds the elite soldier, but she dives for cover, and he has no chance to finish her off.

Meanwhile, Blood uses his KCB knife’s integrated wirecutter to breach the fence on the north side of the compound. With Ira and Ice providing overwatch, Jesse, Blood, and Hamous take up positions.

Though she is wounded, the blackshirt hiding in the sandbags is still very dangerous, and there is no sense getting too close and giving her the opportunity to catch a team member with a lucky shot. So Blood creeps forward along the office wall and readies a grenade. He tosses it just inside the hole in the sandbags and charges in to finish the job.

To her credit, the soldier still clings tenaciously to life, and shows her grit by raising her rifle to fire on Blood as he approaches. But Blood is too quick; he parries aside the rifle barrel and delivers a punch square to her jaw. The soldier falls like a bag of rocks.

Of the final targets, Ira tags one, while Blood sprays one with his machine pistol just as he comes around the corner. These mark kills 60 and 61 respectively, which make this attack the single bloodiest battle of the conflict to date.

This battle pays off big, with a mountain of important loot. We see the usual assault rifles, SMGs, and light machine guns, but also a king’s ransom in heavy weapons – a 40mm mortar, a trio of RPG launchers, a single-shot LAW, and a six-shot grenade launcher. There’s also explosives, some good-quality armor, and a few nice laser sight upgrades.

Jesse switches from the M16A1 to the M16A2E1, which has extra rails for better attachments, and grabs the Rifle LAM. Ira is tempted to switch to an M-21 due its better rate of fire, but her SVD edges it out in accuracy, range, and damage, so her equipment stays pretty much the same.

Ice upgrades his armor to all Spectra and slings a LAW over his shoulder, while Blood drops the EX-41 in favor of that Milkor MGL-140. Hamous, though still badly injured, is like a kid in a candy shop. He grabs Dyneema armor and an AK-103 with underbarrel grenade launcher. He also picks up a rod and spring (separately), though he wisely does not try to assemble them into a new bolt for his AK.

Some of the gear -- heavy weapons, medical supplies, explosives -- is set aside for future use.

--------------------------------------------------

North Grumm, Arulco
July 16, 2011 -- 1226 EST

As the battle rages for the mine, Fiona and her team arrive across the inlet from the port of Grumm, a shallow-water, low-volume facility that is now the Queen’s primary shipping center.

“I don’t like this. That bridge is too exposed…”

“Zere is no vay we can cross vissout being seen.”

“And shot.”

“Well, we’ve got one thing they don’t have. Range.”

“Do you mean we just shoot dem from here?”

“Yep. Igor, you and Dimitri set up at the end of the bridge and clear off anyone who tries to come across, and I’ll pick off any targets I see from here. Gumpy, you spot for me.”

“Yesh, bosh!”

Igor is the first to open fire, tagging a blackshirt sentry guarding the other end of the bridge. Now alerted to the attack, the injured soldier and two of his companions try to cross the bridge to address the threat, but are cut down by the combined fire of Igor and Dimitri.

At the same time, Fiona begins her reign of single-shot terror, sniping the enemies she spots among the piers and warehouses. One foe, in a Bad Decision that will haunt him for the rest of his short life, jumps into the water and tries to swim across the inlet. Gumpy takes advantage of the opportunity for some free marksmanship practice as Fiona drops another greenshirt.

At the bridge, Igor sprays at a pair of blackshirts preparing to charge across, dropping one. Unable to get a shot, Dimitri tries to cross the road to a better position, but gets lightly hit in the process. In solidarity with his Slavic brother, Igor guns down the offender with prejudice. Moments later, Dimitri makes it to cover in the grasses and staunches his bleeding.

Gumpy continues plinking at the swimming man, finally getting the kill, as Fiona injures one and kills a second soldier on the dock. Feeling left out, Grunty throws his own fire towards the targets on the dock, but one of his shots misses and sparks a massive explosion among the stacked fuel drums. Three enemies are caught and killed by the blast.

Fiona and Gumpy both turn to stare at Grunty. He shrugs.

“That… is a dead enemy.”

With the dock cleared, Fiona resets and begins clearing the enemies along the west side of the port. At the bridge, Igor catches, but fails to kill, the lone remaining blackshirt blocking their progress. With the enemy taking cover behind the guard tower and out of sight of their weapons, Dimitri advances across the bridge and tosses a mini-grenade at the wounded enemy’s last known position. The grenade falls a little short, but the shrapnel does its job and finishes the target.

With both ends of the bridge cleared, Igor, Grunty, and Dimitri take up positions and begin their advance on the port facility proper. From atop the guard tower, Igor spots a greenshirt and takes him out with little ceremony.

Under the cover of Fiona’s rifle, all four men work their way up to the gate and into the port compound. As they move in, Fiona performs her counter-sniper duty and tags (but doesn’t kill) a rifle-armed rooftop guard.

Using the various crates strewn about as cover and supported by the rest of the team, Dimitri makes contact with a blackshirt and drops him with a pair of rounds. Moments later, he gets a shot at the injured rooftop sniper and finishes him off as well.

With all enemies eliminated, the team splits up to raid the port for useable equipment. Gumpy checks the warehouse doors for security measures and disarms the trapped locks before Igor attacks the doors with a crowbar. With the aid of some small shaped charges tripped by Gumpy, he is able to muscle through the doors of one of the warehouses. The second, however, is reinforced, and both Igor and Dimitri take turns straining to pry it open.

“If you gentlemen are finished…?”

Fiona pulls a small brick of C1 from her pack and sets it at base of the door, then withdraws with the others behind a stack of crates. A few minutes later, the explosion rips through the entire front wall of the warehouse, exposing crates and crates full of…

“Gold! Look at all thish gold!”

Another very solid haul loot-wise, including another MGL-140 6-shot grenade launcher, a multi-use RPG launcher, and a pair of single-use launchers. There are also some nice rifles that beat out the gear that some of the guys are outfitted with, attachments to trick them out with, and some quality armor.

Not to mention a shitload of gold.

Nothing really changes for Fiona, and Dimitri just adds some armor, some tear gas grenades for his underbarrel launcher, a single-use RPG, and the Rifle LAM.

Grunty finally upgrades his HK33E, picking up an HK G36. He also swaps his current RPG launcher for a more modern, more accurate model.

Igor selects some Spectra armor, adds a single-use RPG, and gets rid of some of his extraneous medkits and grenades to lighten his load a bit.

Gumpy, besides hauling a pair of rockets for Grunty, switches up his AK for an AN-94 “Akaban” assault rifle. Though the range leaves a little to be desired, the weapon’s delayed recoil system makes it extremely accurate for an assault rifle, and Gumpy doesn’t have the marksmanship to be effective at longer ranges anyways. He also adds some Dyneema armor for greater protection.

Some of the unused equipment – specifically medical supplies and tools, gas, armor plates, heavy weapons, and a few other small, useful items – is set aside for future use, while the rest Goes to the Militia.

--------------------------------

Unofficial Vote Time!

What should we do with all this gold!?

The team currently has over $90,000 in the bank, with existing contracts set for over a week. What do we do with the money?

Options are:

A) Hire more mercs!
- We’ve got enough cash on hand to hire all three combat squads up to a full complement of six mercs apiece
B) Buy better equipment!
- Though we’re actually not too far away from gear loadouts that will last us the rest of the game, there are a few choice pieces of equipment that I wouldn’t mind outfitting the team with, including a 60mm mortar or two, maybe some P90s, extra rockets for the RPGs as we start getting into tank country, etc.
C) Train Mobile Militia!
- For those who aren’t aware, in addition to training garrisons for the towns, we also have the (expensive) option of training Mobile Militia squads, who wander out into the countryside and engage enemy patrols and checkpoints. They don’t attack towns and the like (though they can be called in as reinforcements if they are in an adjacent sector when your mercs attack), but they’re great for keeping roads clear of enemies. If we go this route, we’ll need to hire some cheaper mercs as trainers (either the totally non-combat-oriented Biff and Flo, or more flexible and capable mercs like Buns, Wolf, and/or Hitman).
D) Make it rain!
- Have Fidel steal the money, go to the Shady Lady, and blow it all on whores.

What do you think?

FiddlersThree fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 27, 2012

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
As much as D is tempting, I doubt that Sam would allow Fidel to blow that much money on hookers.
I'm going to vote C: equipment-wise we are good, and we could get some good mercs in to first train the Mobile Militia and then join the fight themselves. Besides, it'll give you a chance of showing off yet another thing the game has.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I have to vote B, purely because P90s are sexy.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I'd say a mix of A and B. Extend our current mercs contract to last the entire game, at least Fidel, Thor and Iceman since they can get a tad bit expensive once they level up. Bring in Ivan and buy some night ops gear (suppressors, smgs...).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

voting A and C, if possible. Have some low end mercs just train militia all day every day.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
B. We have a nice compliment of mercs. Now we need to heavily arm them up and keep their various toys well fed. Also I can't believe you kept a SVD over that PSG-1. Sexy, sexy, PSG-1.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I totally vote for D. Let him blow it in hookers and blow. It will make the story more interesting! Every single action film has this moment when the good guys are winning and then they find themselves in a rut.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Six barrel grenade launcher? Don't be silly. Also I saw two multishot launchers. Not a fan of 43mm? Also I see some 40mm VOG rounds, what the hell are those?

I hope you're hanging onto a few break lights and flares. Those are probably one of the most deadly tools available on night missions that go loud.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Concordat posted:

Six barrel grenade launcher? Don't be silly. Also I saw two multishot launchers. Not a fan of 43mm? Also I see some 40mm VOG rounds, what the hell are those?

The Russian rifle grenade version of a Bouncing Betty. Hits ground, launches itself to chest level, then explodes.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Paingod556 posted:

The Russian rifle grenade version of a Bouncing Betty. Hits ground, launches itself to chest level, then explodes.

A More mercs. Frankly the Mercs are the best bit of the game and the characterisation, so let's get a few more in. Extend all the current ones too. If we have cash past that, get better guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
A and C, we can buy weapons after we raid a weapons depot.

• Locked thread