Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
It's actually kind of funny because in X-Piratez, your craft digs an area around the landing spot so if you for example play a city map it's very likely you'll land *inside* a house completely bisecting it.

My guess is that the pilot is very drunk on x-grog. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah the way x-com map generation works is that each map is made up of a number of chunks drawn from a pool that are assembled semi-randomly according to the theme of the area and the nature of the mission.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Randalor posted:

Are the maps randomly generated in XCom based on variables or are they all pre-made and just pulled from a pool? I'm wondering if someone could make "suicide cult" maps where you have a large amount of civilians in an enclosed area with explosives placed around them to detonate when things go pear-shaped for the cultists.

As has been said before, the maps are made of a grid of pre-fab blocks, where certain blocks (like your craft or a UFO) are seeded in. These are placed in randomized locations. The AI spawn priorities make it somewhat easy to predict where aliens will spawn in vanilla- for example, the 2 story barns tend to be a hot spot where aliens spawn on the second floor- it's a fairly high priority spawn after the UFO.

In the mods, there are way more of these tiles and tilesets, using enormous amounts of vertical layers sometimes because there's really no system issues any more.

I'm kinda surprised more mods haven't had the player faction bases be on the surface- it would make those missions less of a walk. Right now, surface bases only exist for a little bit of the warhammer mods and the terminator mod, the latter of which is pretty threadbare.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I was not even aware there was a terminator mod.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I read through this over a weekend, really interesting stuff. However I can't help but wonder if, because we've currently had files, data, and tech pertaining to:

- Kiryu-Kai
- Xenonauts
- UAC

That there will be other elements of UFO-related pop culture/media integrated, or has that already petered out? Because I'd be stoked if this mod made reference to the original inspiration for X-Com, Gerry Anderson's UFO.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

So I read through this over a weekend, really interesting stuff. However I can't help but wonder if, because we've currently had files, data, and tech pertaining to:

- Kiryu-Kai
- Xenonauts
- UAC

That there will be other elements of UFO-related pop culture/media integrated, or has that already petered out? Because I'd be stoked if this mod made reference to the original inspiration for X-Com, Gerry Anderson's UFO.

Oh, don't you worry, there's plenty more to see.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Koorisch posted:

Oh, don't you worry, there's plenty more to see.

Yeah I can't go too far without spoiling things obviously but so far we have seen references to

-X-COM UFO Defense (Kiryu-Kai. And just, basically everything dealing with the actual X-COM Aliens)
-X-COM Terror From The Deep (Deep One, Gilmen, some underwater stuff)
-Xenonauts (...Xenonauts)
-Doom (UAC)
-UFO Aftermath (Muckstars)
-X-COM Apocalypse (Anthropods)
-X-COM Enemy Within (EXALT)
-Too many to count (The UFOpedia pictures)

And worry not, there are more

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 17, 2023

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Don't forget terror from the deep (the gill-man)

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Well, I hope you guys are ready to wait for the next upload. College has started back so that's eating up some of my time. But also I'm getting my poo poo kicked in and just spent an hour trying to beat some Black Lotus missions without letting the team get wiped out

I failed

Edit Edit: Alright nevermind I do not have any updates in the Bank.

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 18, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Sorry to beak any illusions you guys have that I'm good at the game. The truth is I have been completely stonewalled by some Black Lotus missions. That's part of what's taking this update so long. And part of me kind of wishes I had stuck to Experienced (difficulty 2) instead of Veteran (Difficulty 3) Because Difficulty 3 is the point at which missions spawn extra enemies.

To put this into perspective... the "Lots" version of a monster hunt against Mongorns spawns 12 in Beginner and Experienced, 26 on Veteran and Genius, and on Superhuman a massive 40 Most human missions have less

So... Basically, I'm crumbling under the weight of my ambitions and I think I'm going to drop a difficulty level by editing my save. Because I'm getting wrecked

The other thing that's making this take so long is college, which is sadly unfixable but once I have time I'll make with the posting

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 2, 2023

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

glwgameplayer posted:

So... Basically, I'm crumbling under the weight of my ambitions and I think I'm going to drop a difficulty level by editing my save. Because I'm getting wrecked

Messing up your save to make the difficulty setting easier is 100% in the spirit of the original XCOM.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

inflatablefish posted:

Messing up your save to make the difficulty setting easier is 100% in the spirit of the original XCOM.

Heck the original X-Com would even do it for you :v:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The key to Black Lotus missions is Step 1, never ever do them at night because that camo bonus they have is ruinous when combined with night maps.

Step 2 is prox grenades, land mines, and aoe weapons.

Step 3 is if all else fails just loving camp in a corner of the map with restricted visibility and mash the end turn button so you can reaction fire them whenever the come by.

I beat their HQ mission by camping the start elevators with all guns facing the doors, periodically sending guys up and down to take pot shots at folks in the halls. When the avatar appears just bonk her with baton grenades

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Telsa Cola posted:

The key to Black Lotus missions is Step 1, never ever do them at night because that camo bonus they have is ruinous when combined with night maps.

Step 2 is prox grenades, land mines, and aoe weapons.

Step 3 is if all else fails just loving camp in a corner of the map with restricted visibility and mash the end turn button so you can reaction fire them whenever the come by.

So, the two missions I've been having problems with are The Root of All Evil, which is basically just spawning in a forest surrounded by 22-25 Black Lotus Footmen, and 1 of their scary big boy units.

The other is a Forward Base mission which is, probably what you expect. Same as a safehouse but bigger and with higher ranking units in it. I just can't kill quickly enough with my current setup. Especially when each base is manned by like, 30-40 enemy soldiers

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

glwgameplayer posted:

So, the two missions I've been having problems with are The Root of All Evil, which is basically just spawning in a forest surrounded by 22-25 Black Lotus Footmen, and 1 of their scary big boy units.

The other is a Forward Base mission which is, probably what you expect. Same as a safehouse but bigger and with higher ranking units in it. I just can't kill quickly enough with my current setup. Especially when each base is manned by like, 30-40 enemy soldiers

That's the jungle one with the Avatar right? That one loving sucks if you don't have the gear for it. I'd recommend bringing a bunch of baton grenades for the grenade launcher and a bunch of beanbag rounds for the shot gun to quickly take down the avatar, since the shields do not resist it.

Other than that do it in the day and have folks in decent armor with sniper support who can tag the footmen from long range. i found grenades helped a decent amount too because the arcs helped me deal with the loving vegetation. Shotguns are going to be useless during the mission unless you get up close to bean bag the avatar, so if folks got those swap em out to spec op rifles.

Be pretty restrained with how much you push, the ideal scenario is hitting the footmans panic threshold before you even see the Avatar.

I'll do a reread of everything weve done so far too to see what equipment Id recommend for what we've got.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 2, 2023

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

glwgameplayer posted:

The other thing that's making this take so long is college, which is sadly unfixable but once I have time I'll make with the posting

Oh, no, what difficulty are doing college on?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I had hoped that I was going to make my grand reappearance by making another glorious LP post and everything would be grand. However, OBS updated while I wasn't looking and forgot what my recording setup was. I thought I had fixed it, only to discover that I had made it worse and cropped out a bunch of the sides of the game. Meaning I have about 2 hours of recording where you can't see the edges of the screen. Which has important things in it.

I have it fixed now. But now I have to figure out what to do about the borked recording

:bang:

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 4, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Clearly it's time to break out your MSPaint skills.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Randalor posted:

Clearly it's time to break out your MSPaint skills.

I don't have any MS Paint skills. Like, even less than the people who already say they don't have MS Paint Skills!

Also, I'm not even going to attempt to paint a Black Lotus Avatar. That's asking for trouble

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

glwgameplayer posted:

I don't have any MS Paint skills. Like, even less than the people who already say they don't have MS Paint Skills!

Also, I'm not even going to attempt to paint a Black Lotus Avatar. That's asking for trouble

Just have a big ol [REDACTED] image over that and anything super NSFW. Fits in the theme of the organization.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Say its all bodycam footage. Shaky bodycam footage. And the audience will just have to take the narrator's word that what happened really happened...

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
File 16: Technical Difficulties
*Begin Recording*
Commander’s Log, First of March Year 2 to First of April Year 2

It finally happened… they finally realized that I was just editing an agent’s reports and sending them to The Council instead of writing reports myself. Apparently, their reports have to be written by someone of “sufficient clearance and rank” otherwise it is worthless. So here I am, the mighty commander of X-COM, no I'm not going to give you a name, crammed in an office being forced to write and record reports when I could be doing literally anything else. Mine is a tortured existence…

To make matters worse our records got messed up somehow. A bunch of the pictures are cut off, and a bunch of the words are faded. It’s a mess, and according to the council, it’s my duty to fix it. Luckily all of the research has been copied in multiple places so I can grab a copy, but the mission photos are gone.

First things first, we got 3 messages back to back, one each from the Church of Dagon, Red Dawn, and EXALT. All 3 of them were basically the same thing “Oh poo poo the mystery enemy (X-COM) has started attacking our greatest sanctums and safehouses, we need to be cautious or they might assault our HQ and destroy us!” Just in different flavors. You know, Dagon appealed to their religion and the “great dragon” Red Dawn expressing caution and confidence in their military hardware and EXALT expressed a desire to dig in and prepare for an assault.

In terms of research we finished researching the Nitro Express rifle and I get the feeling it would have been very useful in the early days. It’s got a hefty shot that would work well against tough creatures and lightly armored targets. Sadly it’s a very slow-firing weapon, not very accurate when attempting to shoot fast, and has a very small clip. That said it might make a good sniping weapon for those who haven’t mastered the Black Ops rifles yet.

On the 3rd of the month, our Weasel Bunker troops were sent on a mission to help a Counter Terrorist force battle EXALT and sadly our cameras were still broken at the time. So all I have to go on are various tidbits from the crew, which I will be including below.

Jane Kane: “So as soon as we step off of the interceptor there’s an EXALT Liquidator. I, as the resident sniper, tried to take him out by shooting him in the back. As soon as the bullet hits the liquidator instantly spins around and takes a shot at us with a grenade launcher, misses, and sets the ground beside the plane on fire. They were fumbling trying to load another grenade when we all opened fire. Somehow they didn’t die until Hound Smith used his AP shells from the shotgun.

Bios: “Poor poor Tallow… They had a really rough death. The two of us teamed up to go around the building we landed next to and check the other side. We turned the corner and came face to face with an EXALT goon. Tallow killed them with a throwing knife and was looking really proud of themselves when a napalm grenade landed at their feet. At the very least it was quick”

George Gief: “I’m supposed to be the medic of the squad why am I walking around with an LMG? The worst thing is that when I get shot I have to hand over my medkit to one of those idiots to patch me up. The mission? Eh, the mission was alright I guess. It’s just the usual for those EXALT bastards. The goons aren’t a big deal and their Liquidators are. I had one of my LMG bullets bounce off when I opened fire. Still got the bastard but only after he shot me too.”

Hound Smith: “I want one of those UAC shotguns. I’m serious. They have so much firepower that I just very desperately want one. I’m really tired of how heavy EXALT’s armor is, so I’d like a bigger gun. It’s not rocket science.”

As you can see this mission ended in the loss of Tallow, who was our resident… Ninja. Hmm. On one hand, I can appreciate the gumption on the other hand that seems incredibly risky. As for the Napalm grenade… the thing is if they were in the Bio Exo suit they probably would have lived because it’s highly resistant to fire. But on the flip side, the Bio Exo suit isn’t designed to protect against bullets. As such I’m highly reluctant to use them for much of anything. The best advice we can offer against grenades is… don’t be the target of a grenade. Which is very helpful I know

After a day of rest, we got another call, we tracked down a shrine in China that appears to be a site of some importance to Black Lotus, and Rat Hill’s team was sent to track it down. I’m kinda glad the cameras were broken on this mission, to be honest. Because the contents sound, disturbing. Once again I have some choice reports from the team

Drakenel: “As soon as I step outside of the lander I see this giant naked woman, floating above the ground and encased in this orange-yellow glow. We didn’t know it at the time but this was a Black Lotus Avatar. The team all piles out and we open fire. Bullets are bouncing off of the orange aura in front of her, she’s returning fire with flaming energy bolts, and before long more bullets start flying out of the trees as Black Lotus converges on us. We were getting kind of desperate because the Avatar didn’t even seem hurt and I take aim with a blunt shell from my grenade launcher. It hits her right in the skull and she just collapses like a puppet with its strings cut.”

Dak Thornson: “While the team separated to deal with all the Black Lotus Footmen surrounding us, they gave me the duty of guarding the Avatar’s body. I don’t know how exactly to describe it, it’s like she just collapsed into a puddle or a pile of ash, the only proof that she was still alive was that the dust was moving. After a while though she started looking like she might regain consciousness so… I stuffed her in my backpack. And you know what? It worked like a charm.”
(this is an actual technique. If a KOed enemy is being carried I don’t think they can break out unless the unit carrying them dies or is KOed themselves. As long as Dak was standing the Avatar was neutralized.)

Burnt Toast: “After the Avatar thing was dealt with the rest of the mission was kinda boring. Just trawling through the jungle waiting to see a Black Lotus guy pop out and shoot them. You have no idea how annoying it is when you finally spot one and they’re in cover behind tree trunks and bushes and you sigh and have to reposition yourself another 20 ft before you can fire.”

We captured the Black Lotus Avatar and 4 Black Lotus Footmen who surrendered to our troops, as well as a golden idol which we are currently researching. From what we can tell the Avatar is a woman who’s been possessed and hollowed out by some kind of foreign alien intelligence. Obviously, interrogation is what comes next.

We also finished our research into Blood Boosting and… it’s not great. I mean, the bonuses are quite significant, increasing the transformed agent’s strength and speed significantly and even giving them some night vision, but on the downside, it will cause an estimated 3 times the mental damage that Bio-Enhancement causes. It also seems to impair future learning. This could theoretically be a good “capstone” for an agent who has already learned everything they need to but… I’m hesitant. Bio-Enhancement seems a lot better.

We interrogated the Black Lotus Avatar during this quiet period and… well we found out exactly what I said earlier. That they were women possessed by aliens and turned into a physical avatar for them. We pried the Black Lotus HQ location out of them, but this one had something interesting to say about “Nephilim.” In Folklore Nephilim are the combination of angel and human DNA, but this Alien tells us that they are a combination of alien and human DNA. Potentially the source of “Psi potential” which is something we’ve had sitting on our desk for a while but have yet to pursue. They also mentioned some alien species, Sectoid and Etherial, which we don’t know much about. But apparently, the Sectoids are those small grey aliens we fought. Interesting… Of course none of this information is really "actionable" but I think it may open some doors later.

In another mission against Black Lotus, we once again came face to face with an Avatar, although this one was put down by an excellent sniper shot from Burnt Toast. Sadly, this is the mission where we lost Boris P Delacroix, to a throwing knife to the throat from a Black Lotus assassin. They were avenged by Vortex, one of our new AI units who used the Scout Drone’s shotgun to take them down. Outside of those 2 enemies, the rest was clean up and, a Witch and an Assassin were captured.

Our research of the idol we found at the Black Lotus Shrine revealed it to be some kind of transmitter or amplifier, which we believe the aliens have been using to control and brainwash Black Lotus. The actual artifact is useless to us but it once again makes me realize that we should probably go ahead and let the science wing look into psychic stuff because it seems to be cropping up. A lot.

We also completed our research of advanced robotics and it didn’t immediately turn up anything for us, but it did open up a lot of future advancement. Namely Smart Weapons, and a potential upgrade to our HQ.

The Smart weapons are all no more powerful than their basic versions, but are also universally more accurate and have a faster firing rate. They are direct upgrades over their original versions, and I’m going to have the engineers churn out a few.

We’ve also discovered an opportunity to go behind the council’s back and… “acquire” some illegal hardware from the same dealers as the cults. Admittedly there isn’t much they have which is better than what we do but… call it idle curiosity

(There's absolutely nothing hidden behind this that is really worth buying. But I was curious.)

We also did some research into the flame glove and confirmed once and for all that it is a psychic weapon controlled through thought. Which gave us a jumping-on point to understand “psychic powers.” For the record, as commander of X-COM, I’ve always assumed there was something behind this. Magic, ley lines, psychic powers. I just didn’t want to jump around making baseless claims. But this isn’t baseless at all.

I think our head scientist agrees with me, he was practically vibrating as he delivered this report to me. We already know that mental states can have a profound effect on people, affecting their bodies in ways that seem illogical, but this is to go further. We’re going to learn how to harness minds as a tool and weapon, to use them to do more. And that’s fascinating.

We also got around to interrogating a Black Lotus assassin, who incidentally is using such a mental effect. Their ability to vanish is based on psionic power, and as such, they can be beaten by machinery. One reason why the Scout Drones are now deployed on Black Lotus missions.

This also helped us crack the secret of the Gun Kata that EXALT practices. They use their Psiclones in order to stimulate themselves and increase their aim and reaction speed. We can duplicate this process, but it may result in agents becoming overly jumpy and paranoid. As such we’re leaving it only to the well-trained and well-adjusted agents

Also one of the other captives pointed us to an arms dealer called Krazy Hassan who sells weapons by the crate load. And… doesn’t actually know what’s in the crates. Meaning you might buy a snub-nose pistol and 3 rounds or an RPG.

We aren’t buying anything from Hassan

Also, our sub-science division back on Weasel Bunker finished designing a basic UFO radar. I mean… we don’t really need it yet. But it’s good to be prepared for later

We also had another Black Lotus mission and Vortex was sadly destroyed. The engineering department is already working on rebuilding him. We detected a Cyberweb lair, a secret facility in which the creators of Durathread were hiding. And they were in Australia, outside of our reach.

And then… We come to the one mission I really, really wish our cameras were still working for. The Church of Dagon attacked a port town with a bunch of aquatic creatures, which we’ve designated Gilmen, Gilldogs, and Deep Ones. Here are some reports from the action

Sunny: “I was in the back so I didn’t see too well but I think Drakenel is cursed or something. They stepped out of the interceptor and was immediately almost killed by a bolt of electricity, just like what the Muckstars did in the past. He shot the offending creature with the blunt round from a Grenade Launcher but instead of knocking it out the blow to the head killed it. I think the scientists designated it a Gilman?”

Wizard Williams: “Sam and I heard movement in a building next to us and we both turned the corner to find a Deep one with a spear. Sam’s shotgun was loaded with Baton rounds so she took it down, but when we went to advance there was this weird, reverberating sound as this energy beam flew over our heads. I'm really curious to see what the techs make of that weapon. Oh, the Deep One? Yeah, I blasted it to bits. They don't have any armor so a shotgun to the chest is pretty lethal”

Drake Sherrin: “The thing that gets to me is all the screaming you know. It felt like for every group of enemies we took down we heard the screams of civilians getting killed in the distance. And at one point this huge green dog thing came barreling down the street and almost knocked Sunny down. He managed to dodge its charge and I knocked it out with my taser.”

Drakenel: “I’d like to thank Hydra, for saving my life. The two of us went down an alleyway trying to get a good angle on the fight when a Deep One came around the corner. Hydra drove forward and tried to take them out with the Doorbreaker Shotgun but missed. While the Deep One was busy gutting them I drew my pistol and fired back. I think the techs said Hydra will be repaired about halfway through next month. I look forward to thanking them in person.”

Again I’d like to apologize profusely for the lack of images for this, however, we did capture a deep one, a sorcerer of Dagon, and a gildog.

After this the rest of the month was quiet, and I’m told we will be receiving info on the Alien Alloys shortly into next month. Also, the camera problem will be fixed. Apparently one of our lovely engineers attempted to “improve” the cameras using alien tech and accidentally caused even worse problems than they were attempting to fix. Next month they should be fixed and we can look forward to viewing the battles once more.

… This was a terrible experience for everyone involved. Maybe I need to find someone else to help make these again. But who could I make do them? Sunny is out because they recognize his style and he’s not “of proper rank.” I guess I could drop this on one of the support staff. Or maybe make it a part of the punishment detail. Heh... getting the agents to write parts of this report as a punishment. There's a fun idea.

*End Recording*
[bold

(LPer Notes)

I’m alive! Barely! College has been really kicking the crap out of me, and I’ll confess I was getting frustrated at X-COM Files due to getting my rear end kicked. However, I have hit an equilibrium with my college work that should give me more free time (until Midterms and Finals of course)

So, a few things to discuss. In the months when my OBS was sitting unused, it got an update. Which broke my old recording setup. I had to finagle a way to get that to work, and then I had to record with it. And as it turns out the title screen of X-COM is smaller than the actual game, so I set up my recording using the clean corners of the title screen, only to have actually cut off a bunch of the screen in the game because it’s larger than the title screen. This is why today’s update is lacking in screenshots.

Another thing, I have lowered the difficulty by one step, from Veteran to Experienced. This has a number of effects, the most important of which is fewer enemies showing up on missions. On one hand, now crop circle missions will only have 1 farmer which is, lame and a small number. On the other hand, it meant that in that “Root of All Evil” mission I was only fighting about 20 Black Lotus soldiers instead of about 30 of them.

It also lowered the enemy’s stats by about… 4-6% across the board. Which is, absolutely tiny and I didn’t even notice. And increased the resale price of items by 10% and lowered the buying price by the same amount. All together these changes aren’t really a huge step-down. That said I might consider stepping the difficulty up again later.

Anyway, it’s time to visit the armory!

Armory

The Smart Shotgun isn’t an upgrade over the shotguns we have been using, rather it is an upgrade over the Small Shotgun we started the game with. This is a close-range combat weapon that can be fired with one hand, extremely quickly, and stored on a belt or in the quick draw pocket. I’m hesitant to issue this as a “primary” weapon for obvious reasons. But I think this makes a wonderful secondary. If someone has a sniper rifle and a Smart Shotgun, whatever is too close or too far for one weapon is in range for the other.

The Smart Magnum is a direct upgrade over the Magnum, and the Black Ops Magnum, which we have yet to see for some reason. The clip is the same, the range is the same the damage is the same. But the Smart Magnum is faster firing, and more accurate. The accuracy and speed upgrades may seem pretty incremental, a mere 5% decrease in TUs spent and 10% more snapshot accuracy, and 15% more on aimed shots, but that is enough to make it possible to fire a Smart Magnum 3 times and still move, or almost empty the clip when firing snap shots. It’s a direct upgrade

I honestly forgot how good the Nitro express was. I really should have gotten it earlier if I was thinking about it. It’s a hunting rifle so it fires slowly and is only really good at aimed shots but in exchange, it’s strong and has a really big power bonus based on firing accuracy. I think I actually might acquire some for the purpose of killing hardy targets from long range. For the people who don’t have the skill to use Black Ops snipers

Blood boosting is a bit of a trap early on in the game. Don’t get me wrong the bonuses are quite good, the night vision, the strength, and HP, the TUs. But the cost is equally high as this cripples your sanity to the tune of -30 points and lowers your Psi strength and Bravery by 20 each. On top of that, it blocks most forms of training and transformation, including Bio Enhancement and Gun Kata. That said, in theory, it is a good “capstone” to be given after your units have already achieved all other upgrades

Gun Kata only does one thing and it does it well, creating expert marksmen. I would say Gun Kata is one of those boosts you probably want to put on every soldier provided you can spare the cost. Firing accuracy is good for obvious reasons and Reactions increase melee evasion as well as reaction chance. It’s also the first way to boost an agent to the point where their accuracy is above 100, meaning they boost the accuracy of their gun instead of the other way around

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 7, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Something to note: Reactions aren't actually a roll, they're deterministic based on your remaining TUs, your Reactions, and the enemy's TUs/how many TUs they spent. Higher will let you react faster to less enemy TU expenditure.

Also if a unit 'surprises' another unit they can act before Reactions; it's why you want to cover the side of doorways, not directly at the door, because if you do someone opening it gets to act on mutual surprise.

Also yeah Blood Boosting sucks.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Night10194 posted:

Something to note: Reactions aren't actually a roll, they're deterministic based on your remaining TUs, your Reactions, and the enemy's TUs/how many TUs they spent. Higher will let you react faster to less enemy TU expenditure.

Also if a unit 'surprises' another unit they can act before Reactions; it's why you want to cover the side of doorways, not directly at the door, because if you do someone opening it gets to act on mutual surprise.

Also yeah Blood Boosting sucks.

All I know is that sometimes I'll be in sight of an enemy, crouch, which takes single-digit TUs, and then every enemy in the world opens fire all at once. Or I literally take a step outside the ship and bullets are already flying.

And Blood Boosting sucks. It's awful even before you consider that it locks out a bunch of the other transformations

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
I would like to volunteer G255 for Gun Kata (for obvious reasons), and for writing the next report under the reason of also documenting the effects undergoing the Gun Kata regimen would have on him.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm enjoying this thread but goddamn is that mod just overflowing with verbiage, makes me appreciate the way the original game stuck to the theme of a military struggle* by giving you short terse descriptions.

*The 'feel' of military struggle in the media at least, I'm sure in real life things are not that well edited and put together.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Can't believe I never got the smart shotgun for undercover work back when I was playing...

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
As a side note, you might consider this an upside or a downside depending on the strength of your engineering department, but you have to manufacture Smart Magnums, but not their ammo. You do have to manufacture Smart Shotguns and their ammo but the ammo at least is quick and easy to make. I'm working with 10 engineers at Rat Hill so, I can produce a max of like 8 guns in a month.

I'll have to double-check my finances but if I can manage it, I'd like to hire another 10 engineers at Rat Hill to strengthen my engineering department, and then I'd like to build an advanced lab at Weasel Bunker so that next month I can fill that laboratory and crank my science division up another few notches. If I can't do both, I guess I'll hire the engineers now and wait a bit to build the lab.

We are on the edge of a lot of very important research, though it occurs to me that I should probably be careful about researching too much Alien alloy tech considering we only have.... 12 of them. Hmm.

Oh also as a little sneak peek, one of the things that we can research soon will open the way to Psi weapons, and after that research, we unlock the "Psi Strength" portion of our soldier's sheets. And it revealed some... interesting things. Here are some spoilers on people's Psi scores. Assuming that they don't change in the proper file (I was taking a test run of next month to try and plan out my research.)

Drakenel, Sam O'Varr and Koorish all have Psi strength below 20 and are therefore basically Psi inept. Ivan actually has a Psi strength of 0 which is hilarious Meanwhile Wizard Williams, Arthur Rooster Crow, and Skulder Mully all have Psi strength above 90, which is near the edge of human limits. Although they have some competition from Agent Verbal, Reasonable Achmed, Dak Thornson, and G255 who are all in the 70-80 range. Sunny's Psi score is only in the 50s which is like. Alright

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 5, 2023

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If im still alive I volunteer to be blood boosted

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can doggos and rattos get psi abilities or a psi stat?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Randalor posted:

I don't believe so. They're not eligible for psi training, at least.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Randalor posted:

They can't really use their psi stats for anything since they can't wield psychic weapons.

That said dogs all have a base 40 Psi strength.

Also to put our scores into perspective, a Black Lotus Witch has 65 Psi strength. So... some of our agents have far more raw psychic power than Black Lotus ever will

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So what I'm reading is that a blunt grenade round is basically 'beanbag rounds can be lethal' on steroids?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Drakenel posted:

So what I'm reading is that a blunt grenade round is basically 'beanbag rounds can be lethal' on steroids?

Very much. To the point that I'd actually use them as a weapon on purpose rather than for specialized capturing sometimes when I was playing, because if it kills the guy, eh. If it doesn't, free prisoner!

E: Also the Commendation for kills with blunt stun weapons is really good and unlike in Piratez, the grenade launcher and beanbag rounds and stuff count for it.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Drakenel posted:

It does Concussive damage which is like, half and half stun and lethal I think? You are stunned once your HP is lower than your stun damage. Which can either be achieved through dealing lots of stun damage or inflicting some lethal damage. The reason the stun grande works so well is it how you say… burns the candle from both ends.

I don’t remember exactly what the commendation does but I do remember it being called “Monster” because you’re too strong to be trusted with capturing someone l.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's extra HP and Strength, and extra Strength can be golden.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
So! My game plan for the next 2 months is this. I’m going to spend this month preparing for the HQ battles. We have the means to attack Black Lotus, Church of Dagon (after interrogating the Sorcerer) and Red Dawn. Out of those, we have no more need for Red Dawn or the Church, while there is still something we need out of Black Lotus.

I think what I’m going to do is research the HQs for The Church and Red Dawn, and then spend the rest of our time getting ready, because once the next month rolls around it’s HQ time. Sadly we can’t yet attack EXALT and I still have need of Black Lotus. Gotta get those Ninja Scrolls

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

glwgameplayer posted:

So! My game plan for the next 2 months is this. I’m going to spend this month preparing for the HQ battles. We have the means to attack Black Lotus, Church of Dagon (after interrogating the Sorcerer) and Red Dawn. Out of those, we have no more need for Red Dawn or the Church, while there is still something we need out of Black Lotus.

I think what I’m going to do is research the HQs for The Church and Red Dawn, and then spend the rest of our time getting ready, because once the next month rolls around it’s HQ time. Sadly we can’t yet attack EXALT and I still have need of Black Lotus. Gotta get those Ninja Scrolls

i would do a bit more research into it but I am like 90% certain you will get ninja scrolls for beating the Black Lotus HQ mission since it basically drops some of all their associated loot.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Telsa Cola posted:

i would do a bit more research into it but I am like 90% certain you will get ninja scrolls for beating the Black Lotus HQ mission since it basically drops some of all their associated loot.

According to the wiki you are correct, in which case I think I might change my answer, and we try and go after The Church and Black Lotus first.
More than anything I just want some cults on our kill list, because it has occurred to me if we don’t start bagging them soon we are going to be very behind when the Aliens get started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

Very much. To the point that I'd actually use them as a weapon on purpose rather than for specialized capturing sometimes when I was playing, because if it kills the guy, eh. If it doesn't, free prisoner!

E: Also the Commendation for kills with blunt stun weapons is really good and unlike in Piratez, the grenade launcher and beanbag rounds and stuff count for it.

Yeah, in piratez you eventually get enough strength on your uber gal murdervalkyries that their punches will often do lethal damage (stun damage that exceeds remaining hp by five times causes death) so it becomes useful to keep stun batons around because they don't scale so hard off of strength, though usually by that time you have more efficient means of stunning people.