Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Neat - then the policy I'll pass will be National Anthem At Start Of News at maximum level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can we get Flags on every street corner? That's gotta revitalize our knitting industry.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Covski posted:

Yup, income tax is where the real money is. It really hurts us with the large middle income voting block though (slightly more than half the voters), so you do have to be careful when raising, it however.
Yeah it's never something you drive to the extremes, but a few % of that is worth more almost every gimmick tax.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

A_Raving_Loon posted:

A boost to income tax. The rest of this poo poo is loving pennies compared to that, more good for social engineering than making money.

Even Carbon Tax? That sounds like money maker (if there were any factories to tax, I guess...?).

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Carbon is one of that adds up nice. Things like sins, luxuries, and plastic bags are not big money compared to those.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Don't forget the drawbacks of raising income tax though.

1.) Taxing the populace more means that they have less money to spend, less money being spend means less spending which is bad for our GDP.
2.) Obviously we're already in a brain drain situation due to a tax system which is punitive to the wealthy. Increasing their tax burden will increase the rate at which they leave the country. This may eventually result in a reduction in income due to there being a significantly lower number of people paying the top rate of income tax.
3.) Frankly it's electoral suicide.

Honestly I'd strongly suggest leaving it where it is due to reason 1 alone. Our GDP is already in the toilet, we need people spending.

Covski, I don't suppose there's anything to stop people physically leaving the country or, failing that, cutting down on tax avoidance?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I vote for compulsory work for the unemployed. It sounds like a decent idea and it's way better than going through the mindnumbing boredom of nothing while waiting, and in some cases even hoping, to find a job.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Namtab posted:

Covski, I don't suppose there's anything to stop people physically leaving the country or, failing that, cutting down on tax avoidance?
Welp, better go dig up Honecker. The wall's going back up, in gusto.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If that's what it takes

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Carbon tax is a *huge* moneymaker in the short term, at the expense of pissing off everyone and hurting the GDP - but if you can't mollify everyone and fix the GDP with a fraction of that money it's probably because you embezzled it all. The only problem is having to keep your curtains closed and staying away from grassy knolls until the capitalists calm down, so you might want to earmark some of the carbon money for your Secret Service. It also kills it's own income in the long run since it directly reduces carbon being released, but that's tomorrow's problem.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Punitive tax on superstores

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Compulsory work for the unemployed, even if that means digging ditches and filling them back up again.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chwoka posted:

Compulsory work for the unemployed, even if that means digging ditches and filling them back up again.
Fool, have you forgotten our great party's motto? There is only one option for what work they will be doing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Fool, have you forgotten our great party's motto? There is only one option for what work they will be doing.

Yeah, what he posted is more in line with compulsory military service.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Poil posted:

Filling holes is one of our nation's most righteous forms of work. Pow!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

People posted:

Stuff about carbon tax/income tax

These guys are pretty much completely right. I imagine carbon tax is actually a bit more harmful since it straight-up hurts GDP a lot as well as pissing off everyone, moreso than income taxes. We could get a maximum of around 60 Bn out of carbon taxes last I checked (screenshots a couple of pages back), but it is hard to evaluate since it kills its own income pretty quickly.

Namtab posted:

Unfortunately, not as far as I'm aware. The closest we could get is a welfare fraud department, but that's more about stopping the poor from taking our money than stopping the reach from taking their money and leaving. I vaguely remember there being a special "tax avoidance" situation, but it's currently not active.

anilEhilated posted:

Can we get Flags on every street corner? That's gotta revitalize our knitting industry.

Definitely, but it will have to wait until next turn when the rules are normalized. For the record, it functions similarly to the national anthem policies, though also annoying ethnic minorities a bit.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What happens if we close the airports?

I imagine that it hurts GDP and possibly harms foreign relations, but there must be some positive to it.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Yup, it's all sorts of hurtful. I guess it's really good for the environment and keeping those immigrants out, if you want to have some form of totally isolationist nation or something.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Could we close off all transportation leaving the country to stop the brain drain?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Chwoka posted:

Could we close off all transportation leaving the country to stop the brain drain?

Maybe if brain drain actually modeled people leaving the country, instead of it just lowering certain statistics.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, the game really doesn't model actual population outside the elections (and the specifics of how the election mechanics work technically is a mystery to me). The simulation really doesn't do hard numbers at all, to be fair.

Unrelated, but this article reminded me of this thread for some reason. Also, I read in the news that the law enforcement here are looking into starting to use police drones :allears:

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
How do the retired feel about us? If we where to remove the state pensions (and fix our debt woes) would they still vote for us? Or are they too far gone/small to care about?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The retirees are one of our strongest supporter groups at the moment - though this is largely because of the generous pensions. Still, they're not a very large group and we could probably cut back on the system a decent bit without hurting our election chances too badly.

Since I will have PC turned off for the major budget rearrangements I'll be doing this turn, I can fiddle around a lot making small adjustments to many policies at once. This again touches upon my largest gripe with this game: The PC costs are the same whether you raise the taxes one percent or seventy five percent, meaning that you basically have to make really drastic changes to certain policies if you need to balance the budget in a hurry. It's pretty stupid, and becomes quite apparent in this LP format since we're really not afforded the luxury of planning ahead very well.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Covski posted:

we could probably cut back on the system a decent bit without hurting our election chances too badly.

Pretty sure seniors are the most active voters according to everything I have ever read.

Loving the thread, made me get the game. I have in like 10 tries won one election by severely cutting income tax and riding the wave to election day.

Even though I would argue that in my other 9 attempts I left the country in a better state.

Game should have a North Korea Version where you get 99.9% of the vote and get to hang the one person who misspelled your name.

I suggest introducing carbon taxes as it will allow you some time to do the other stuff you need to / want to.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
Holy poo poo, things have really crashed and burned since the last time time I checked this thread.

I'm voting for the Namtab Austerity Package, or, increase mansion tax to maximum if that's not a thing we can vote for. If increasing mansion tax won't actually be helpful then I'll change my vote.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

So there was no update this weekend since I've been constantly busy. Next one will be a big one though - between the budget reshuffle (I'll also take the opportunity to purge the cabinet of the last remnants of reactionism) and us entering an election year, this will probably be the biggest update yet!

Thank you for your patience :)

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Caufman posted:

Filling holes is one of our nation's most righteous forms of work. Pow!

Ugh, no, they'll be put to work making more lederhosen you fools. :rolleyes:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

What's 'complacency' in that screenshot?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Bloodly posted:

What's 'complacency' in that screenshot?

Complacency in the Democracy series is usually meant to be a measure of how complacent people are during elections. Like, if they think there's no point voting so they don't even show up. I'm not sure if that's what we're seeing here, because I don't know why retirees would be unhappy about complacent voters, and despite searching I can't find any actual 'situation' known as complacency, but it's about the only thing it could be.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

LJN92 posted:

I'm not sure if that's what we're seeing here, because I don't know why retirees would be unhappy about complacent voters, and despite searching I can't find any actual 'situation' known as complacency, but it's about the only thing it could be.

"You kids these days just sit on your asses and let this country slide into the toilet! When I was your age, I knew the value of my vote, and that it counted, goddammit!" :freep:

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

TheObserver posted:

"You kids these days just sit on your asses and let this country slide into the toilet! When I was your age, I knew the value of my vote, and that it counted, goddammit!" :freep:

We were fighting in wars so you could have the vote sunny. And only 30 - 60% turn up on election day makes me sick. Sick I tell ya

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Actually I think Covski already mentioned that it was just that people will slowly GET complacent, you need to constantly be improving the nation or the voters will think you are a party that sits on their asses collecting cheques.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

National Anthem At Start Of News, maximum level - TheMcD chooses!
TheMcD
Implement mansion tax, maximum level, 26 PC, +11.56 Bn per quarter - (6)+4=10 votes
TheMcD, TheMcD, Senerio, Wagrid
Double petrol tax, 36 PC, +14 Bn per quarter - (5)+2=7 votes
Ahundredbux, Ahundredbux
Remove ban on sunday shopping, 21 PC, no budget change - 5 votes
Implement carbon tax, maximum level, 39 PC, +61.03 Bn per quarter - (3)+2=5 votes
Banemaster, ally_1986
Implement tourism ad campaign, 2 PC, -280 Mn per quarter - (3)+1=4 votes
Broenheim
Reduce state health spending, X PC, +20 Bn per quarter - (1)+2=3 votes
Nyaa, Namtab
Compulsory work for the unemployed, -X per quarter, - 2 votes
Poil, Chwoka
Cut state pensions, +X per quarter, - 1 vote
Caufman
Boost income tax, +X per quarter, - 1 vote
A_Raving_Loon
Punitive tax on superstores, +X per quarter, - 1 vote
Eumenides
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Implement CCTV Cameras, maximum level, 28 PC, -2.55 Bn per quarter - 7 votes
Maximize Monorail Funding, 8 PC, -0,40 Bn per quarter - 4 votes
Restrict drug policy to legal LSD, 20 PC, no budget change - 4 votes
Implement food stamps, 4 PC, -1.89 Bn per quarter - 3 votes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Realizing the severe crises that threatens Germany's survival the Bundestag grudgingly grants the LFAP emergency powers, enabling the government to take drastic action.

The first move is to rearrange the cabinet, quietly removing the public services minister who couldn't be trusted to carry out the necessary changes with sufficient enthusiasm.

A suitable replacement was quickly found.

As a surprising side effect of the LFAP's carte blanche The McD Act is passed, stipulating that all news programs must be prefaced by the newsreader singing the national anthem. There is a bit of uncertainty as to the Lederhosen Party's reasoning behind the decision as well as its relevance to the economic crisis, but there is an astounding lack of uproar about it. Unconfirmed rumors circulate that the party also intend to change the anthem in the near future, but government officials decline to comment on the issue.

The long-planned mansion tax is implemented, levying a harsh tax on homes over a certain value.

The petrol tax is also increased, though analysts claim this shouldn't have a very noticeable effect on the GDP. Motorists are still annoyed, of course.

The ban on Sunday shopping is finally lifted, in hopes of stimulating the economy. Pissing of the religious is mostly regarded as a side benefit at this stage.

A moderate carbon tax is introduced. Most voters see this less as an environmental effort and more as the next step in the LFAP's quest to tax everything that moves.

The new tourism campaign is a success, featuring among other things complementary guidebooks covering the best brothels in all major cities.

The state health services are scaled back, but are still quite decent compared to many other countries.

Effective immediately, a program of mandatory work for the unemployed is instituted. People are given a choice between work in the brothels or the lederhosen factories, depending on their inclinations. Some columnists talk of a return to the anti-unemployment policies of the 30's.

The state pensions are also cut down. Critics talk about this will only worsen the rampant poverty, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

There is also a slight increase of the general income tax. Public opinion suffers a bit, but not as much as it will do if the debt crisis isn't resolved.

What is left to tax? Superstores, why not!

As per the Namtab austerity act, the scale of the housing program which is still under development is cut down a bit.

Even the pet monorail program sees its budget lowered.

Finally, even the drone program is scaled down, not having had as large an effect as hoped.

With the emergency programs enacted, the government crosses its collective fingers and waits.

:siren: TURN 12 :siren:

The religious finally give the LFAP recognition for their hard work.

A new crisis appears as the unemployed are forming gangs in the cities' slums, finding no way to escape poverty.

Actually, poverty is the cause of most of Germany's problems. We may want to bite the bullet and cut down the alcohol tax when we can afford it.

The economy is looking better though. We are showing a sizable surplus for the first time in forever, and the global economy seems to be on the upswing. If we can maintain this, we should hopefully be able to recover from the debt crises which is really wrecking us.

Most of the large expenditures have been cut down. Notice how the inner city riots and alcohol abuse (both primarily caused by poverty) add up to our fifth larges cash sink.

A few new points here on the income tab, as well.

The austerity measures didn't hurt as much as I expected, actually. The only huge drop is the retirees, suffering from the double punch from lower pensions and mansion taxes. They're not a huge group though, so we should be okay.

Oh, and did I mention we are now officially in an :siren:ELECTION YEAR:siren:? Winning this will be tough, but I don't think it's impossible if we don't get any more really terrible events. As long as we can resolve the debt crises (which we have already begun to do), and roll out the pork-barrels we can do this. I'll make a couple of posts with election information as well as suggestions on cheap and popular policies in the near future.

:siren:LEGISLATION TIME:siren:

We have all of 38 PC available!

The current agenda (some of these may not be the best ideas given our situation):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Implement CCTV Cameras, maximum level, 28 PC, -2.55 Bn per quarter - 7 votes
Maximize Monorail Funding, 8 PC, -0,40 Bn per quarter - 4 votes
Restrict drug policy to legal LSD, 20 PC, no budget change - 4 votes
Implement food stamps, 4 PC, -1.89 Bn per quarter - 3 votes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I'll post more about the election and give some suggestions later, so you have a little more to go on!

Covski fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 30, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So I had a terrible idea and decided to post it. No idea about the melody though.

Lederhosen sind wunderbar
Lederhosen sind schön
Lederhosen sind das Leben

Welche Türme herrlich über alles?
Lederhosen!
Was strahlt wie ein Stern im Himmel?
Lederhosen!
Was sind wir alle tragen?
Lederhosen!

Lederhosen sind schön

Warum bist du traurig?
Wir haben Lederhosen für alles
Warum habe alles Spass?
Alles habe Lederhosen

Lederhosen sind schön

Wir haben Prostituierte in Lederhosen
Wir haben Drogen in Lederhosen
Wir haben Halsbart in Lederhosen

Lederhosen sind schön

Lederhosen sind schön

My only regret are my poor german skills and I had to rely on google translate. I'm so sorry for butchering the langauge. :ohdear:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Poil posted:

Lederhosen sind schön

Was ragt herrlich über alles?
Lederhosen!
Was strahlt wie ein Stern im Himmel?
Lederhosen!
Was tragen wir alle?
Lederhosen!

Lederhosen sind schön

Warum bist du traurig?
Wir haben Lederhosen für alles
Warum haben alles Spass?
Alles haben Lederhosen

Lederhosen sind schön

Wir haben Prostituierte in Lederhosen
Wir haben Drogen in Lederhosen
Wir haben Halsbärte in Lederhosen

Lederhosen sind schön

Lederhosen sind schön

I think this should work - but there's no German term for "neckbeard".

Anyway, cut the Alcohol tax by half. I think we can afford this right now, and going into an election term, we need an election platform, and "booze for everybody" sounds like a great idea.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

We need someone to round up those street gangs of poors and unemployed and put them to work, but we need to do it politely.

Increase funding for the police force and community policing to the maximum.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

xelada posted:

Actually I think Covski already mentioned that it was just that people will slowly GET complacent, you need to constantly be improving the nation or the voters will think you are a party that sits on their asses collecting cheques.

Yup, this is the case. If a particular voter group is very happy for a long time, they will start to get complacent. It's basically a "but what have you done for me lately?" issue, since even though they are pleased with the state of affairs they aren't seeing any improvement either. I have no idea how this works mechanically if their situation gets worse, as is the case with our retirees at the moment.

Worth mentioning again: The sorta opposite of complacency is cynicism, which is the result of cancelling (and possibly lowering) policies that you have implemented. This somewhat prevents the strategy of announcing new policies just before an election, and cancelling them before you win though this is (as we shall hopefully see) still a viable strategy!

Poil posted:

awesome national anthem

Hahaha, this is hilarious to me. I'll definitely add this to the OP! Poil, you can consider yourself a Party Official of the LFAP! You know the drill, double votes every turn and choose a spiffy title for yourself!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Implement food stamps It's healthy and it reduces poverty.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can you change the time limit in this game? Assuming the Lederhosen party isn't voted out of office, what is their term limit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Covski posted:

A new crisis appears as the unemployed are forming gangs in the cities' slums, finding no way to escape poverty.

This is what happens when you don't Support Are Drones!!

Restore Drone Funding until these crime waves are under control.

• Locked thread