Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Cythereal posted:

Vetoed on account of anime.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

If the vote end up for INTEGR please name our first oceanic city Fließzahl.

Floatnumber, by the way.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Neues Zuhause: Literally "New Home" in German according to Google Translate.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
(Eine) Zweite Möglichkeit* for the name of the planet. Means (A)Second Chance.

For the star, I'm voting we just call keep calling it Epsilon Eridani.
If not that, then die Neue Sonne for the New Sun

*The more straight translation would be Zweite Chance, but that looks half-assed. Möglichkeit looks better to me. Also works better if in common parlance people drop the first word, as Möglichkeit can also mean Opportunity.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Groetgaffel posted:

For the star, I'm voting we just call keep calling it Epsilon Eridani.
If not that, then die Neue Sonne for the New Sun

*The more straight translation would be Zweite Chance, but that looks half-assed. Möglichkeit looks better to me. Also works better if in common parlance people drop the first word, as Möglichkeit can also mean Opportunity.

I like this. It fits perfectly

Dancer
May 23, 2011

berryjon posted:

Neues Zuhause: Literally "New Home" in German according to Google Translate.

Neue Heimat would be what you're looking for there.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Cythereal posted:

:five:

The star already has a name so let's stay with Epsilon Eridani

For the planet:

Groetgaffel posted:

Möglichkeit

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I'm voting for calling the star Epsilon Eridani, or Epser for short. Another possible name is Ran, which is apparently it's formal name according to the IAU. Or Rán, if you want to include the diacritic.

I considered Neuropa as a planet name, though it's a bit eurocentric. Might work as a name for INTEGR's territory, though. We could also call it Eridanus, after the constellation we're in.

Also LoGH is good, you philistine.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Cythereal posted:

Planet Vegeta, of the Dragon Ball star.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013

nielsm posted:

Floatnumber, by the way.

Gleitkommazahl. :godwinning:

And I propose to name our world: Platz an der Sonne (place in the sun)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

RedSnapper posted:

:five:

The star already has a name so let's stay with Epsilon Eridani

For the planet:

For the planet? Well, we already landed right on a massive fissure. How about Yellowstone?

It's not German, but it is from a neat series of books!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Since we just "landed", I decided to play around with the word shore and random European languages. "Riva Dell'ignoto" is kinda catchy, is Italian for "shore of the unknown". "Malul Roșu" (the ș is a sh sound) is "The red shore" in Romanian.

Rote Murmel is German for Red Marble (after the blue marble :v: ).

Dancer fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 14, 2019

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Anticheese posted:

For the planet? Well, we already landed right on a massive fissure. How about Yellowstone?

It's not German, but it is from a neat series of books!

I think, in German, this would be Gelbstein, which has my vote.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Cloud Potato posted:

I think, in German, this would be Gelbstein, which has my vote.

I think you're right. Changing my name vote to Gelbstein!

e: I mean even the non-volcanic ground is kinda yellowish and there's scads of gold to the east. It fits in several ways!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Cythereal posted:

Book series came first.

And is available in English these days.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Sandman posted:

Book series came first.

Double vetoed on account of trying to defend and justify anime.

Groetgaffel posted:

This, however, will do nicely.

Next update will probably be tomorrow. Had to roll the d12 twice for minor sponsors running afoul of Möglichkeit's perilous orbital conditions. :v:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

The Sandman posted:

Book series came first.

Don't try, Cyth is well known for being argumentative and hard as steel to make them change their opinion. Just smile and nod.

Or needle them, like I do.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hoffnung for the star.
Geschwister for the planet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Friends of Old

The program was particularly popular for INTEGR's younger population, and volunteering slots would later become highly sought-after as on-the-job education and experience.

Though distinctly worse for the experience of orbital reentry in a poorly secured supply pod, a Stradivarius remains a Stradivarius.

Preparations were complete for a rather more organized and deliberate expansion of INTEGR's footprint on the new world, which a popular vote dubbed Eine Zweite Möglichkeit, or typically Möglichkeit for short.

Getting a sense of deja vu here, but I'm not complaining!

Plans were quickly drawn up for the remote resource exploitation facilities.

Just showing the continuing work around Weltgeist, starting a trade depot while my worker starts a quarry for the basalt.

Expansion of INTEGR's technological infrastructure continued.

I left this for a bit later in my previous game, but no tectonic scanner this time. If we have any titanium around, I want to know sooner rather than later.

The latest Mule class amphibious transports were capable of hauling significantly more equipment for INTEGR's explorers.

Explorers which had borne... unconventional... fruit.

Fitted with radio collars and cameras, the drones were duly conscripted into INTEGR's service.

This is really good early in the game. Drones fly, meaning they don't care about terrain. They never need to land, and move three tiles a turn. They can't explore expedition sites, but I will be putting these bugs to work helping map out the planet!

We also find this thing.

The sighting of a wrecked colony lander not far from Weltgeist was disheartening but sadly not unexpected. Humanity's diaspora was a risky endeavor, and Möglichkeit was a particularly difficult planet to approach. Explorers were dispatched to investigate.

Formed by a group of Pakistani refugees who had fled into Europe after the Mistake, Banu Musa had become one of INTEGR's key think tanks on the refugee crisis. On Möglichkeit, Banu Musa chose to pursue a more independent existence as a research institute, a move Lena Ebner elected to allow.

I wasn't going to settle in that spot anyhow, so Weltgeist's first trade route is heading here.

The video conference with the landing far to the northwest of INTEGR could not have been more awkward. Cousins courtesy of a disavowed branch of Elodie's family, one of INTEGR's most prominent politicians and one of the central authorities of Franco-Iberian culture and education were a study in contrasts: the billionaire French heiress raised in Portugal and given the best education money could buy, and the German lawyer of middle class beginnings who could only have attended college through scholarships for academic excellence. The women, in their quiet, poisonous but scrupulously polite feud between a multi-national extended family, had seemed to many on Earth to neatly encapsulate the friction and conflict between Europe's two foremost political power blocs.

To be honest, I have no idea how Elodie and Lena are supposed to be cousins. Elodie's backstory states that she's from an ancient and rich French noble family, and was born in Portugal. Lena is half-German, half-Polish. So either one of Lena's parents was an immigrant to that country, Elodie's civlopedia entry is blowing smoke, or they're not actually first cousins. Then again this is CBE so it's most likely Firaxis just didn't give a poo poo. At any rate, Elodie is on the peaceful side as an AI faction and most likely will reserve her hostility for snide tweets.

blah blah blah

The fallen lander was from the Ma'at, Egypt's Seed ship. While the upper decks were completely inundated, almost a thousand Egyptian colonists remained below in operation and intact cryo-sleep decks. A new settlement zone was established for the Egyptian survivors in Weltgeist.

Rolled an 8 on the minor sponsor d12.

Not many artifacts from Earth survived the Ma'at's accident, determined to have been an instrumentation error on the Seed lander during final approach.

Properly organized storage and inventory, Lena argued, was critical to the well-being of the colony.

INTEGR and the Indian Protectorate may have approached the Seeding very differently on Earth, but relations had always been congenial. Even so, Lena Ebner privately found herself ill at ease around Kavitha Thakur. Something about the woman struck her as... off. Perhaps that was the effect a prophet had on someone equally unconvinced by arguments for or against the existence of a higher power, or perhaps it was the unsettling rumors that had always swirled around the seemingly unaging Indian woman. Most of those rumors could be dismissed with ease, but enough of them couldn't to be... troubling, to political strategists. Ascertaining the truth was never easy, and a few hundred million fanatical devotees did not help. Lena had always approached the Indian Protectorate with a cautious hand, and decided that the same policy would serve INTEGR well on Möglichkeit.

And the first of our two randomly determined returning AIs is Kavitha. Could be worse.

For the Settlement Board, maintaining good relations with Banu Musa and continuing to enjoy the think tank's efforts was a priority.

To the east, Kastellan had finally settled down to grow into a proper city. The city's primarily Serbian population had, in the end, decided that remaining in INTEGR would be to their overwhelming benefit and the governing board agreed.

Lena Ebner easily won her first re-election.

This is something that annoys me about Rising Tide. The game will endlessly bug you about having enough diplomatic capital for a new agreement, but not when you've accumulated enough for a new or improving an existing personality trait. I tend to forget to check on this regularly.

Colonial expansion was one of the most important issues of the election, and Lena Ebner strongly supported the widespread position that INTEGR should expand its borders on Möglichkeit.

Given our map layout, I'm expecting to build at least a couple more sea cities. This will make expansion of sea city borders a lot faster.

To that end, the launch of INTEGR's first intentional colony hub transport was prioritized by the Settlement Board.

The Agricultural Board also benefited from this new alignment of colonial priorities.

Same fluff for the recycler as last time.

Lena chose to interpret her cousin's comment as deeply sarcastic.

Five hundred hours on this game, and I've never seen a compliment about the strength of basic, un-upgraded troops. :v:

The Industrial Development Board's report further solidified the current political mood in the Initiative.

No titanium anywhere around our starting area, too bad.

For now, the Environmental Board would take precedence on the Initiative's scientific research. Not for the first time, Lena felt a deep pang of regret at Nicola Karkanis' absence. If nothing had gone wrong, her old friend was still in cryo-sleep as the Pauli sped towards Delta Pavonis. The ship might even have turned on its tail to begin deceleration by now. The Greek climatologist had been belligerent, irascible, undeniably brilliant, and a key member of the international research team that had discovered the Inflection Point.

Minor meteor strikes were nothing new on Möglichkeit, but this impact was something else entirely. The main impact point was near Franco-Iberia's landing zone, but seismic activity rumbled across Weltgeist half a planet away. Lena Ebner ordered an investigation as soon as possible.

The primordial biome's marvel! This one, I'm actually going to try to do, but we haven't seen any craters yet.

Radio transmissions in English confirmed that all of Europe's major powers had made it to Epsilon Eridani. The North Sea Alliance had always played the neutral wild card between Franco-Iberia and INTEGR, opportunistic in the extreme and all too happy to play both continental blocs against each other. It was with a certain wariness that Lena Ebner officially greeted Duncan Hughes on the video screen, not fooled for an instant by the Scotsman's congeniality. Oh perfidious Albion indeed.

It's Duncan again. Eh.

Off Weltgeist's western coast, another ARK and its naval militia took shape. Eintracht - 'Concord' - drew heavily from another political minority in INTEGR for its population. The Magyars were one of INTEGR's most outspoken ethnic groups, and agreed to the same terms the Serbians of Kastellan had to enjoy a certain degree of autonomy while firmly remaining a part of INTEGR. Imposing a mono-culture had never been the Initiative's goal. As long as everyone worked together towards the common good, INTEGR had always tried to allow its member states freedom to use their own language and celebrate their own culture. From many different nations and peoples, a whole emerged stronger than the mere sum of its parts.

The Commerce Board took the opportunity and political goodwill to push through a major platform of trade reform.

To the southeast of Weltgeist, the same team that explored the wreck of the Ma'at began search and rescue operations in the nearby derelict settlement.

Our drones and explorer are hard at work. Note how aliens on primordial worlds are a dark red-brown in contrast to the blue-white on the frigid biome of Al-Jalidia.

Sad news in Weltgeist as another fallen lander was discovered.

Hopefully stay put and keep me from ever having to use it?

What struck the people of INTEGR most about the vision was how... human the scene was. Details about the Progenitors remained vague in the extreme, but they were humanoid and seemed to move in roughly human ways. They argued, they joked with each other, they had petty conflicts and friendships. For most in the Initiative, it was a painful reminder of the grand efforts of the Seeding.

My thoughts have not changed.

Kavitha seemed to approve of Ebner's leadership of the Initiative.

I'm just a layman, but I'm not sure this is how chemistry actually works.

The basic ecology of Möglichkeit wasn't too different from Earth. The local chlorophyll analogue was different, producing the striking red color common to plant life on the planet, and the extremely active geology of the planet - minor tremors were a daily event in Weltgeist - meant that organisms that on Earth would have been classified as extremophiles were common. Nevertheless, general biochemistry was remarkably compatible and most flora and fauna were safe for human consumption.

INTEGR's biologists would remain busy.

The current political alignment in INTEGR remained somewhat in flux as the Settlement Board overreached and the Science Board reached an understanding with other groups.

Precisely what the explorers meant in their description of the latest Progenitor artifact confused Lena.

The explorers had something more material to worry about anyway.

It's always great when this quest fires. Just saying now, I won't be taking the Purity route because the Purity reward is bad and the Harmony reward is great.

Internal trade routes. I'd hoped to establish a trade route with a station I found to the north, but the station's completely socked in by miasma, which trade units can't pass through without a certain level of Harmony affinity.

This one was a genuine surprise, the Commonwealth's priorities in the Seeding had indicated to INTEGR's intelligence that a planet like Epsilon Eridani Gamma wouldn't be on the Commonwealth's target list. Lena knew Hutama, the Commonwealth's governor for this Seeding, only by reputation: a populist of the first order who had long opposed the Seeding until he famously went incognito on the streets of Melbourne, Manila, and Jakarta, and learned how strongly the Commonwealth's population supported the Seeding, prompting an abrupt and absolute change of heart. Pleasantries were duly exchanged.

Hutama's an expansionist but not strictly aggressive AI. He likes money, and he likes science, and trade gets him plenty of both. His sponsor power isn't as overtly broken as Daoming's, but it might be even more powerful in the long run.

Lena wasn't sure whether Hutama was happy or otherwise about INTEGR's orbital reach.

Tragic news from the settlement near Weltgeist: no survivors. A few hundred Egyptians had been awake on the crashing Ma'at, and made it onto land to establish a settlement that had, sadly, withered and ultimately died. The Egyptian dead were buried with great ceremony in Abydos, the district of Weltgeist home to the Egyptian refugees.

I accidentally clicked out of the main pop-up, so this is what I could grab of the smaller turn notice.

Firaxis, your American-ness is showing. Genealogy like this seems to be a fairly uniquely American fascination.

Though guarded, Commander Rejinaldo seemed to approve of INTEGR's expansionist policy.

In domestic news, the genetically engineered grain was flourishing.

Wait, just 7 Purity xp? I was counting on a whole Purity level from finishing that quest. :argh:

That work promised to be only the first product of INTEGR's gene labs.

For now, research was directed in less squishy directions.

On Möglichkeit as on Earth, INTEGR let nothing go to waste.

Expansionist politics continued to carry the day in INTEGR's local elections.

Yeah, Elodie's going to be snide with us every time she gets on the space phone. INTEGR interacting with Franco-Iberia is by far the most extreme case of Rising Tide tailoring diplomatic dialogue between different factions.

State of INTEGR, Turn 57

Weltgeist

Kastellan

Eintracht

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Is Lana similarly snide to Elodie?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SSNeoman posted:

Is Lana similarly snide to Elodie?

Only at first meeting. Elodie will snipe at Lena whenever diplomacy windows pop up. Lena only makes a snarky comment when you first encounter her as Elodie.

Edit: I'm recording the next update and... I was expecting our last unmet AI in this game to have a reaction to me settling a city in her front yard. She's the most treacherous AI in the entire game, one of the most aggressive, and I was deliberately trying to piss her off for the goons who want some added conflict, but she didn't even send me an angry tweet. :v:

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 15, 2019

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I wouldn't say family tree research is particularly a uniquely american fascination. I can certainly say its popular enough in the UK

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Namtab posted:

I wouldn't say family tree research is particularly a uniquely american fascination. I can certainly say its popular enough in the UK

I've heard it's pretty common among Jewish families in many places.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh. I was under the impression genealogy stuff was a weirdly American thing. Duly noted.

Recorded the next update, and felt compelled to add as a separate list of tables to my minor sponsor d12, a d4 for each faction for potential splinter groups as next update will feature two derelict settlements right next to someone's capital, something I saw a few times in the Al Falah update.

I don't actually know anything about Andorra beyond that they exist, but in this game they're now a part of Franco-Iberia and tried striking out on their own. :v:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Cythereal posted:

Huh. I was under the impression genealogy stuff was a weirdly American thing. Duly noted.

There are two America-specific things I can think of in my experience as one:
  • The Mormon Church takes genealogy very seriously as part of their theology and is pretty good at the practical part of it too, and that has echoes in the broader culture.
  • One of the stories I was told as a kid was that some French author traveling in America wrote an article that had an aside mocking Americans as a pack of rootless peasantry with a line like "an American can divert himself for a lifetime trying to figure out who his grandfather was", and that Mark Twain wrote a companion article noting that a Frenchman could do the same trying to figure out who his father was. Given the amount of stuff that gets attributed to Mark Twain, this may be apocryphal at best. Some quick googling did not find any online copies of this story.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

ManxomeBromide posted:

There are two America-specific things I can think of in my experience as one:
  • The Mormon Church takes genealogy very seriously as part of their theology and is pretty good at the practical part of it too, and that has echoes in the broader culture.
  • One of the stories I was told as a kid was that some French author traveling in America wrote an article that had an aside mocking Americans as a pack of rootless peasantry with a line like "an American can divert himself for a lifetime trying to figure out who his grandfather was", and that Mark Twain wrote a companion article noting that a Frenchman could do the same trying to figure out who his father was. Given the amount of stuff that gets attributed to Mark Twain, this may be apocryphal at best. Some quick googling did not find any online copies of this story.

Aka, the Victorian style classic "yo momma's a whore"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Siegkrow posted:

Aka, the Victorian style classic "yo momma's a whore"

It's got nothing on the Edwardean version Shakespeare pulled. Titus Andronicus, look it up.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

It's got nothing on the Edwardean version Shakespeare pulled. Titus Andronicus, look it up.

Ah, yes, that immortal and ageless exchange:

Chiron posted:

Thou hast undone our mother!

Aaron posted:

Villain, I have done thy mother.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Cauldron

State of INTEGR, Turn 57

Weltgeist

Kastellan

Eintracht

Another derelict settlement near Weltgeist. Given the terrain, miasma, and aliens, probably not going to get to this for a long time if ever.

Relations between INTEGR and the American Reclamation Corporation on Earth had been on the chilly side of polite. ARC was, it must be conceded, much less rapacious than the megacorps that had preceded it and done so much to cause the Mistake. Yet a fundamental difference in vision for the future had remained between INTEGR and ARC, and the Foreign Relations Board did not take long to conclude that it would be best to keep the Americans at arm's length on Möglichkeit.

So, ARC. Each parameter of AI behavior in Civ5 and CBE is measured on a scale of 1-10. ARC has a Loyalty of 1, Honesty of 2, Aggression of 8, Expansionism of 7, and Territoriality of 7. That should tell you all you need to know about Suzanne Fielding.

That Weltgeist's vivarium was the closest thing to an Earthlike environment available on Möglichkeit was a rather sad commentary, in Lena's eyes.

Same fluff again, wheeee.

INTEGR's scientists found ways to keep busy, if nothing else. The Oberth's physics databases were reconstructed and adapted to local conditions with speed.

Of particular interest for many people was retracing the Oberth's journey across the stars. The red grasslands and orange skies of Möglichkeit remained painfully alien to the colonists.

The Initiative Armed Forces continued to expand their armories and shipyards.

At Lena's 'suggestion,' the Science Board began a new project to better understand Möglichkeit biochemistry.

Weltgeist's infrastructure continued to expand, while explorers began the search for the mysterious Earth signal detected near the city.

Efficiency was the watchword of the Commerce Board.

The Settlement Board's program of aggressive expansion reached its logical conclusion.

In Kastellan, work began on a great concert hall. The works of Ludwig von Beethoven, Amadeus Mozart, and Johann Bach, carefully preserved and brought with INTEGR, were prominent among the hall's planned arrangements.

A faint distress beacon was detected in the hills near ARC's landing site. The beacon's pattern corresponded to an ARC standard emergency signal, but given ARC's own apparent lack of interest, INTEGR explorers moved in.

Game, I'm trying to show off different fluff. Work with me, will you?

Kavitha's latest communique was thankfully less opaque than some INTEGR had received from her on Earth.

Minor quests like this pop up with some regularity. There's no story to them.

Though controversial, Lena Ebner's argument that xenomass was too valuable a resource to sacrifice ultimately won over the rest of the Governing Board.

Yeah, so it's not the Purity route but the Purity route is a pittance of culture. Supremacy is an equally tiny amount of science and +10% worker speed. Harmony, though, is a new spot of xenomass! That's so much better it's not funny. Also got us an incidental level of Harmony.

Germanic efficiency had admirers even here.

Another lander had crashed into Möglichkeit's warm seas. Search and rescue operations began immediately.

Not everyone approved of INTEGR's pacifism.

Reggie likes our solar collectors. You can't build your own until a decent way further into the tech tree. :v:

Still useful.

Möglichkeit's natural resources required further research if they were to be of use.

Starting without a tectonic scanner just isn't right, so researching this earlier than I normally would just to see if we have any geothermal around.

That ARC's diplomats made snide remarks about INTEGR's encouragement of labor unions only confirmed to the Initiative that they were on the right track.

Efforts that were soon codified into official policy

Though seen as potentially provocative towards the Americans, the dubiously named Weisheit - 'Wisdom' - was settled on schedule.

Goons wanted conflict, so here I deliberately forward settled on one of the most hostile AIs in the entire game, right in ARC's front yard. And... ARC didn't even make an angry tweet. I tried.

Finally, different fluff!

Found a way through the miasma to the culture station.

Which completes the quest.

The emergence of new political parties in the Governing Board was, Lena decided, a good thing for INTEGR's political health. She promptly instituted a new program to take care of INTEGR's disadvantaged at government expense.

More food is never a bad thing, even if forgoing Industrialist feels alien to me.

New Yukon Mining had risked everything on promising veins of uranium and thorium in the hills near Central. Unfortunately, not understanding Möglichkeit's geology, the Canadian mining consortium's efforts quickly turned into a bust. Though rich, the metal deposits were very shallow, and petered out very quickly. ARC's Board of Directors simply wrote off the miners as a lost cause, and the embittered Canadians required little persuasion to lend their expertise to INTEGR instead.

Well that's disturbing. Giant hydracoral growing up in the ruins of a derelict sea settlement.

No survivors were found in the wreck of the Ukko. Finland's Seeding had come to a tragic end.

Rolled a 5.

The Treaty of Weltgeist was Lena Ebner's first foreign diplomatic success on Möglichkeit, forging a tentative policy of cooperation with the Protectorate.

The Science Board stayed busy in the meantime. Geothermal power had been one of Earth's few truly sustainable sources of power, and on a planet as geologically active as Möglichkeit promised to be even more valuable.

A thorough survey of the local planetary system was long overdue.

The institution of a true planned command economy had taken time to impose, but would serve INTEGR well as it had on Earth.

The tides and seasons on Möglichkeit were complicated to say the least, between the two moons and the ring system. If there was one thing every colony on Möglichkeit could agree on, though, it was preservation of the planet's visually (and, truth be told, spacecraft-) striking rings.

Bah. Weltgeist is building our first cruiser.

Any hope of exploiting off-world resources would require a far greater understanding of ballistics for planning orbital launches and deployments.

Our first tech we didn't research as Al Falah! There's a useful satellite here at least.

INTEGR hadn't sent as many artifacts of Earth with their Seedings as Franco-Iberia, but enough Earth paintings had come with the Oberth for Eintracht to establish a public art gallery.

The Governing Board voted to expand the state-run kitchens for the poor into a public nutrition program for all levels of society.

A derelict settlement, just outside Franco-Iberia's landing zone? Explorers were sent in immediately.

Also note Duncan's comment. I'm steadily building up a navy from Weltgeist.

Weisheit may be located in the polar latitudes, but resources were abundant and aquaculture was expected to fare well in the cooler waters.

Fielding's approval of INTEGR's military buildup filled Lena with shame.

It was a sad commentary that the same research that was important for space flight also had significant military applications.

Station Sentinels are satellites that you plant over stations to improve their trade yields. Rocket batteries are a defensive structure for cities. The Stellar Codex gives a big boost in a city's orbital coverage.

Not an unfamiliar dichotomy for the children of central and southern Europe, sadly. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Human intellect, ingenuity, and sheer bloody-minded obstinancy had taken them from Earth to Möglichkeit, and few in INTEGR saw any reason to change a winning plan.

We're officially a Purity civilization!

What had worked on Earth would work here, too. And, it must be noted, what hadn't worked.

Though a certain improvement to human weaknesses wasn't out of the question.

The next step: building a proper computing infrastructure for the colony.

State of INTEGR, Turn 92

Weltgeist. Those tree-looking things to the southeast is Fiber, a production resource. The glowing orange stuff south-southwest is land-based geothermal.

Kastellan. The blobby pink-ish things I'm building improvements around are Shells, a sea production resource.

Eintracht. You can see unimproved Shells to the southeast - by the looks of things, they're some kind of titanic sea snail we're farming. North of Eintracht you can see Vents, which provide energy and science; and Chelonia, a huge alien whale thing that we harvest for food and science.

Weisheit is perfectly positioned to grab a lot of valuable resources - a big floatstone deposit in the city radius already, shells to the west, geothermal and fiber to the north, titanium and chelonia to the east, silica (the white rocks, production and science) and titanium to the south and southeast, and even a bit of fruit under the big alien bugs. I'll be getting Weisheit an ultrasonic fence sooner rather than later.

Given the density of aliens around, I'll probably go for the Xenodrome early.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I find it funny that it's Duncan throwing shade at your military rather than Pedro.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I find it funny that it's Duncan throwing shade at your military rather than Pedro.

Hutama, too. Reggie's taken a military trait as well, it's why he likes my solar collectors - he's taken Integrated, improving his units' strength within his orbital coverage. Duncan took Efficient, reducing maintenance costs for his military and making him judge others based on the size of their army. Hutama's taken Precise, giving him science points when he kills other units, and he judges others based on their average offensive military activity (note: attacking aliens counts).

Every single tweet corresponds to one or more personality traits (some share tweets), and so reading space twitter is a good way to keep track of your neighbors adopting new personality traits.

Were INTEGR right now an AI, Lena would be judging others based on their food output (like Kavitha did this update) and their number of cities.

Al Falah at the end of the previous playthrough would be judging others based on their production output, how advanced their orbital units if any are, and their number of international trade routes.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Cythereal posted:

Al Falah at the end of the previous playthrough would be judging others based on their production output, how advanced their orbital units if any are, and their number of international trade routes.

Man. No wonder Earth was so laughable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Taking Wing

State of INTEGR, Turn 92

Weltgeist

Kastellan

Eintracht

Weisheit

More sad news, this time from the derelict settlement near Franco-Iberia's landing zone. It appeared that a large contingent of Andorrans had attempted to pursue their own independent settlement on Möglichkeit. It didn't end well.

Yes, I made a list of potential F-I splinters and Andorra was on there. Oh well.

The message was clear to INTEGR: no one could survive alone.

Franco-Iberia themselves seemed to agree, and politely ignored every hint at inquiring what happened with the Andorrans.

Lena assured Hutama that German brewing had resumed shortly after landing.

Perhaps this lander would fare better than the others had? Insofar as a wrecked lander could fare well.

In any event, the final leg of INTEGR's public nutrition program was an overhaul of the food provided to the colony's children. Childhood nutrition would be both free and closely watched by legitimate experts. Healthy children are happy children, and a strong foundation for a colonial society.

Not that the importance of such efforts seemed to register with some.

The so-called Baltic Assistance Treaty, named in honor of a sea on an entirely different planet, was regarded with some skepticism in Weltgeist. Britain had been forever a fair-weather friend on Earth, to central European eyes, and even during the Seeding area relations between the north of Europe and the center had remained wary.

Rejinaldo's acidic comments on the treaty struck some INTEGR settlers as sensible.

Reggie and Duncan are hostile but not yet at war with each other, so Reggie really doesn't like that I signed a treaty with Duncan.

The difference between normal weather and meteor showers on Möglichkeit was surprisingly small at times.

But a combination of INTEGR's explorers and the pharmalabs' research bore significant fruit. Slumber-slaughter extract would become standard issue for INTEGR workers and soldiers.

I'm always glad to see this come up, especially since I'm going strict Purity and won't have access to the Drone Sphere.

The reestablishment in INTEGR of a major computing infrastructure was a welcome development for both the civil and private sectors. Anno 2700 was released a year later.

Wheeeee.

The prospect of saving significant amounts of manpower by resurrecting robotics on Möglichkeit was too tantalizing for the Science Board to ignore.

There's been no firaxite around, but autoplants are worth it.

Lena chose to trust the Science Board's estimation that the moss was not in fact sentient and harvesting the moss for scientific purposes was not in fact a crime against sentient life.

How this lead to a new form of 3D printing, she decided she didn't want to know.

Speaking of making wonders redundant, we now have workers with 4 movement! If I really wanted to, I could still eat the Supremacy points and get Master Control for 5 tile movement workers...

Kavitha remained friendly.

The Science Board was growing in prominence within the Initiative's political system.

I won't get any use out of this soon, but it will be useful later.

Lena's confusion at her colony continued to mount. It would be centuries before the capsule might possibly reach Earth, and INTEGR's development of AI for the unmanned vessel was less sophisticated than Earth systems had been. But the program enjoyed popular support, so whatever worked...

Yeah, I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. And I forgot when writing the Al Falah game that 'Return to Sender' was the name of a quest.

In Weisheit, a place was finally found to put the command center of the Oberth on display as a public museum.

Deja vu, an NSA gunboat shooting up aliens near my territory.

To be honest, the alternative was given a hearing purely for show by the Initiative government. To sacrifice the safety and well-being of the poor for the sake of profit went against everything INTEGR stood for.

Trade offered much greater promise for INTEGR's economic development anyway.

Few in INTEGR were overjoyed at the growing industrialization of the colony, but needs must be met, now with robotic assistance.

Less important since we're not going Supremacy, but production is production.

Great pools and upwellings of xenomass had been noticed around the colony from the day of planetfall. Making use of these resources demanded a significantly better understanding of the local ecology and biology.

The Defense Board did not enjoy great influence in the constellation of INTEGR's political groups.

The Foreign Affairs Board profited by its alliance with the Science Board.

These traits will feed off of each other in time.

And as a more practical matter, orbital operations over Möglichkeit were complicated enough without potential Kessler Syndrome. Though beautiful both from the ground and from space, the planet's rings were a certified pain in the posterior for anything involving planetary orbit or surface-to-space travel.

Some thought 'native' was perhaps a better description of Möglichkeit's conditions and life than 'alien.' These views remained a distinct minority.

A joint effort with the Board of Public Health began. Cloning and genetic engineering had been familiar, if costly and not widespread, tools of Earth for the Seeding. Many in the Initiative felt that they were called for again.

Skipping Terraforming for this? Yes, I want the Ectogenesis Pod and Gene Gardens are a useful Purity building. Plus it's an important stepping stone for future plans.

Another victory for the jubilant Science Board.

Here's a Station Sentinel. You launch one over a station and that station's trade yields with the owner of the Sentinel are improved. Banu Musa is a pure science station, so I'm getting some extra science every turn now.

The whole endeavor struck Lena as quixotic to say the least.

But the effort had caught the popular imagination, and reinforced the popular feeling that Möglichkeit was not home. Humanity had moved out of the house where they grew up, but Earth still beckoned them home when times grew hard. Perhaps it was only natural that when faced with an alien world humanity would turn inwards and focus on the familiar. Certainly the people of INTEGR were beginning to take pride in defying Möglichkeit's challenges, overcoming them as they were. Earth hadn't been easy to master, and neither was Möglichkeit, but this world, too, could be tamed.

After some debate, the Governing Board voted to carefully restrict the use of industrial robotics. Automation of industry on Earth had been a key factor in unemployment and the societal degradation of the trades, mistakes that INTEGR would strive to not repeat here.

Large-scale government investment in social support programs, particularly focusing on employment and education, followed.

On Möglichkeit as on Earth, the internet was mostly used for pornography, cat videos, videos of people getting hit in the groin, and screaming political opinions at each other. Some things never change.

Spies, yay.

Elodie proudly presided over the opening of the Stellar Codex, celebrating it as a triumph of Franco-Iberian ingenuity and culture. INTEGR observers applauded politely.

Stellar Codex posted:

The Stellar Codex is further proof that human beings will always look up at the sky, no matter the circumstances that surround them. Our best evidence suggests that Earth at the time of Seeding was surrounded by a nimbus of artificial satellites with both terrestrial and celestial-facing devices, used for mundane tasks such as location positioning and extraplanetary collision threat detection. When the first colonists arrived, they set about creating ways to gather this information.

While created to solve simple problems of navigation and assist in space research, the Stellar Codex also had tremendous influence on the cultural development of the colonists. Did those early colonists perhaps still carry ancient senses carefully attuned to a clear night sky above them? Or was it a matter of recognizing the truly vast distances that separated the planet from Earth? Or did the Seeding raise the possibility of other worlds around other stars being habited by people, and thus make the sky less threatening? Whatever the case, it is common to find records in the Stellar Codex shot through with veins of awed prose.

The Stellar Codex's very architecture called back to those first orreries, with its swooping and interconnected circles, each of which housed astronomy databanks, correlators, and cosmological conjectural synthesizers. It was a profoundly functional structure, but also one of incredible beauty, with pointillistic lighting recalling night skies, and floors made of smooth and glassy Etowahform marble, recalling gas giants, nebulae, and sandstorms. The most mundane details were treated with reverence, down to the terminal faces framed with Wildmanstatten-patterned meteoric iron.

The religion of the day was profoundly affected by the Stellar Codex and its views of the neighboring space. Adoration of the Magi by Fra Arcangelo depicts a collapsing nearby WN4 star, as seen in Codex Record 392.39-omicron. Neoastrology owes its entire underpinning to the Codex. And it is not an accident that the Tyrant of Drees wished to cement his authority over that community with a statue depicting himself as a Stellar Codexicant.

Lena Ebner did not attend. She had other work in mind.

Returning to Earth by rocket might be a futile goal. But bringing Earth to Möglichkeit? Now that seemed a goal worth pursuing.

As would be pursuing closer relations with Earth's other survivors.

State of INTEGR, Turn 119

What's Lena busy with? A wonder of our own.

Kastellan. Duncan was actually pretty helpful and cleaned out a good chunk of the nearby aliens before his gunboat vanished in the fog of war at some point. Probably mobbed down by sea dragons.

Eintracht is sailing west so I can grab that xenomass tile over on ARC's landmass.

Weisheit will never reach its potential while all these aliens are in the way.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Speaking of Anno 2700, what's the state of Farming Simulator in Integr? That game's hilariously popular over here in Germany. I would think it's brought to the new world and got adapted pretty hard while also offering farming on a pristine Earth.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

I'm a bit puzzled by this tbh, does the city actually gain a health benefit from having the turbines over not having them? This would make more sense if the building had a general -1 to health which can then be negated via this quest-

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nielsm posted:

I'm a bit puzzled by this tbh, does the city actually gain a health benefit from having the turbines over not having them? This would make more sense if the building had a general -1 to health which can then be negated via this quest-

It's the nonsensical option, I'm afraid. By default, tidal turbines just produce 4 energy, and can be upgraded to either be 6 energy or 4 energy and 1 health. So yes, tidal turbines with this upgrade are a net improvement to the city's health.

Something you may have noticed about Beyond Earth: penalties are extremely rare, and the developers confirmed it was intentional in pre-release stuff. They wanted players picking between different bonuses with opportunity costs, not penalties or outright drawbacks.

Lynneth posted:

Speaking of Anno 2700, what's the state of Farming Simulator in Integr? That game's hilariously popular over here in Germany. I would think it's brought to the new world and got adapted pretty hard while also offering farming on a pristine Earth.

Not a clue. The only games I've heard by reputation are super popular in Germany are the Anno series. I don't know much about German culture or politics, so I'm winging this stuff.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 20, 2019

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Not a clue. The only games I've heard by reputation are super popular in Germany are the Anno series. I don't know much about German culture or politics, so I'm winging this stuff.
I see. But yeah, Anno's also very popular. These sort of simulation-ish games generally tend to be, really.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Going by the massive mod projects I've seen coming from German areas of the internet, I'd say that RPGs are also very big.

Hell, Shadowrun was big enough in Germany that the first expansion of the Videogame takes place in Berlin.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lynneth posted:

I see. But yeah, Anno's also very popular. These sort of simulation-ish games generally tend to be, really.

Fair enough, I've also seen a considerable German continent in the Supreme Commander multiplayer community (a game I love but will never LP because I am so goddamn bad at it).

The only video game CBE specifically makes fun of, though, is Half-Life 3. 'Isotopic Decay 3' is one of the Old Earth artifacts you can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Lynneth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw