Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well it's going to take some time to read that second link but some of the "mysteries" seem pretty sketchy from a skim. No judgement yet.

The first one, concluding that animals living near humans are fatter, doesn't really describe a mechanism and the parsimonious explanation would seem to be eating the scraps of the same modern foods at issue with humans themselves. If we've bred food animals and plants to have higher caloric density for our own purposes, it would also affect other creatures. I've certainly seen fat squirrels but they're usually digging in trash barrels for leftover french fries instead of acorns.

There's no proof that there isn't a fat virus or something, but I also can't provide evidence that sunspots or feng shui aren't at fault, or unicorn farts for that matter. I'm going to remain suspicious of extraordinary hypotheses without some extraordinary evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I'm skinny, at least by everyone else's standards. I have no definition and look like poo poo naked because I've stopped working out and drink too much beer because of covid and young childreb (deflecting!) but who gives a poo poo if people are fat? Even if you don't think it's attractive, who cares? I don't think 95 percent of people are attractive and if you're walking around judging people based on that maybe you are hosed in the head. And if it's on a health basis again why do you give a poo poo? Empathy and concern? Suck my whole rear end. Or rather my rear end hole, or my rear end, whole.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
https://slimemoldtimemold.com/

someone sent me this blog thing a while ago that has a really in depth and easy to understand breakdown of all this contaminant theory stuff. i cant vouch for the veracity of any of it but i found it extremely interesting!

EDIT oh a lot of this is actually in this pdf already, but there's more here

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 5, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's the same content. The pdf just has everything in a single document.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Anne Whateley posted:

This PDF that everyone apparently skipped is also incredibly interesting. You don't have to agree with their conclusion 100% but it's absolutely jam-packed with citations of interesting studies

it says that when cuba had a food shortage after the soviet union fell everybody lost weight because they weren't importing contaminated food or fertilizer anymore lol

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

The Bloop posted:

Well it's going to take some time to read that second link but some of the "mysteries" seem pretty sketchy from a skim. No judgement yet.

The first one, concluding that animals living near humans are fatter, doesn't really describe a mechanism and the parsimonious explanation would seem to be eating the scraps of the same modern foods at issue with humans themselves. If we've bred food animals and plants to have higher caloric density for our own purposes, it would also affect other creatures. I've certainly seen fat squirrels but they're usually digging in trash barrels for leftover french fries instead of acorns.
Yeah that's what I said, pets and feral animals can easily be explained, lab animals not so much.

Food animals haven't been bred to have higher caloric density. Pork in particular has plummeted in fat. Decreasing fat in chickens has also been a major goal. (I mention fat specifically because it's the most calorie-dense. If you take two 100-gram lumps of meat, but one is 20% fat and one is 5% fat, the 20% one will contain significantly more calories despite being the exact same mass.)

quote:

There's no proof that there isn't a fat virus or something, but I also can't provide evidence that sunspots or feng shui aren't at fault, or unicorn farts for that matter. I'm going to remain suspicious of extraordinary hypotheses without some extraordinary evidence.
There are many studies proving obesogenic viruses exist. That's not even a hot or "extraordinary" topic, it's repeatedly proven over 40 years that there are multiple specific viruses that lead to obesity in various animals and/or humans. Here's a very 101-level pdf from the Mayo Clinic with 71 citations for your "extraordinary" evidence.

Are viruses responsible for 100% of the increase in the obesity rate, of course not. Can you blow off their entire existence as unicorn farts? Only if you want to dismiss a ton of studies because they're harder to read than "FAT BAD."

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Anne Whateley posted:

The interesting thing is that lab animals, fed strictly controlled diets with no McDonald's in sight, have also gotten significantly fatter over the last 40-50 years. https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/abs/10.1098/rspb.2010.1890

The study also includes populations like pets and feral rats that have pretty straightforward explanations, but there's something else going on with the lab colonies at least.

Is the full study available anywhere that doesn't require a login? I'd like to read this but I can only view the abstract.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...y-epidemics.pdf

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

AHH F/UGH posted:

In that case, and I swear I'm not trying to be combative here, I'm genuinely curious - do you believe there ever any point where it does become a personal moral failing?

Sure I'll bite. But only because this strikes a deep chord with me right now.

I believe, "personal moral failing", is a loving cop out answer for not understanding. There are many reasons why someone might be over an "ideal" weight, one of those..... again....one of those, might be unresolved trauma. Unresolved is a key word and is where I'm going with this. They may be eating their emotions as a trauma response, and the lovely thing is, they might not even be aware it. To an outsider, yes, the horror of this personal moral failing, and oh they choose to be fat. gently caress that. There is no choice when there is a deep hidden wound no one is aware of.

I've been listening to Gabor Maté a lot lately.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the way I see it, in a deterministic universe I couldn't have done anything but eat that pie for dinner

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Thanks for this. The authors point out that "controlled diets" typically mean the animals are fed "ad libitum" (i.e., as much as they want) so while that potentially explains weight increase, it doesn't explain why animals in a controlled environment are eating more over time. Also interesting to note is the variance in weight gain across macaque populations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh hold on, let me just

Hedrigall posted:

Post more, great big people!

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Ive been fat for as long as I remember and the only issues I've had it with coming to 30 years old have been bullying when I was a kid and lack of romantic partners, and even then I've had multiple relationships, just rather short ones with long dry spells. Hoping to change this by hitting the gym and becoming a better person all around. Gym has been wonderful even though Ive not noticed any weight loss, just more muscle. I sometimes feel very good about myself but sometimes its just the pits to notice that I dont seem to lose any of the fat.

Clotheswise its a bit weird but its also kind of hard to find nice clothes, Im 188cm and 120kg and all the clothing I find is just normal stuff, which doesnt compliment the body but rather just hides the stomach fat etc, I also have zero fashion sense which might be related to finding clothes that make me look nice.

This epidemic has been weird for dating, Ive had luck with Tinder for example, but its so weird trying to connect to people when most connecting in online dating is based on your appearance. Also I seriously feel like getting to know
new people offline will be a lot harder again once going out is normal and safe.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
dating apps are so bad. by design, probably. perhaps being fat doesn't help either, yeah.

yes fat, chicks. :grin:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
IMO the goons whining about moral failings and personal responsibility are the same goons that are mad GBS banned the hate fat people thread.

To the goon whining about there being no evidence supporting virus induced obesity here you go: https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpregu.00607.2005

That's a peer-reviewed moderate impact journal so please shut the gently caress up about it.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

IMO the goons whining about moral failings and personal responsibility are the same goons that are mad GBS banned the hate fat people thread.

To the goon whining about there being no evidence supporting virus induced obesity here you go: https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpregu.00607.2005

That's a peer-reviewed moderate impact journal so please shut the gently caress up about it.

Interesting, so would rolling out a medicine to cure the viral infection, would people start getting slimmer?

Light Gun Man posted:

yes fat, chicks. :grin:

I concur

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Interesting, so would rolling out a medicine to cure the viral infection, would people start getting slimmer?

I concur

I doubt it, they don't know the mechanism of action for those viruses yet. Virus are still difficult to treat and as someone that works adjacent to virologists those poor researchers never seem to get the funding they need. COVID19 brought funding in as governments panicked but all of that is already starting to go away and the pandemic isn't even over yet. Which means we can't expect a solution to this problem anytime soon.

My best guess is you'd need some kind of combination that suppresses the virus and something else that reverses the changes the virus made to those cells.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I did OK Cupid in a pre-tinder world and honestly? If I’m single I’ll just die single. I’ve never had a desire to explore the world of Tinder and here’s hoping I’ll never have to. OKC was definitely easier to suss our wheat from chaff but man that wheat wasn’t great. To be fair, I last used it in like…2012? I was a whole mess in college.

I met my current partner semi through my previous one who is, hilariously, a goon. But happily, still a great friend.

I can’t really say if it was harder or easier to date as a bigger lady as I have no comparison. Smaller people have their poo poo too.

The only thing that really sticks out are people who fetishize, and I’d get them for my size OR my race (and once both hahaha rot in hell Brandon). That’s something I had no real knowledge of contending with, whether dealing with those type of people, or how it impacted my self worth. poo poo like that does do a number on you, and it’s so odd in that it’s kind of difficult to discuss? Hm.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Azuth0667 posted:

No one is whining about it as far as I can see.

I did say that it would take time to read what was posted and I was very interested in seeing the evidence. Are you calling that whining?

Frankly, I also didn't see anyone calling it a moral failing, because I don't recall seeing anyone making a moral judgement about fatness. No one has said being fat is immoral. Unless it was an isolated post and I missed it. The discussion has been pretty even handed and positive so far, with only a few blips.

I personally had a fatsperience just yesterday with having to choose between "tight as a sausage casing" and "long as a TNG dress uniform" for a new polo I had to get for an event at work

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

teen witch posted:

I did OK Cupid in a pre-tinder world and honestly? If I’m single I’ll just die single. I’ve never had a desire to explore the world of Tinder and here’s hoping I’ll never have to. OKC was definitely easier to suss our wheat from chaff but man that wheat wasn’t great. To be fair, I last used it in like…2012? I was a whole mess in college.

I met my current partner semi through my previous one who is, hilariously, a goon. But happily, still a great friend.

I can’t really say if it was harder or easier to date as a bigger lady as I have no comparison. Smaller people have their poo poo too.

The only thing that really sticks out are people who fetishize, and I’d get them for my size OR my race (and once both hahaha rot in hell Brandon). That’s something I had no real knowledge of contending with, whether dealing with those type of people, or how it impacted my self worth. poo poo like that does do a number on you, and it’s so odd in that it’s kind of difficult to discuss? Hm.

I am a bit of two minds re: being fetishized. Probably because I'm a guy, so it only happens rarely and thus feels quaint and like a compliment? I imagine it sucks if it happens a lot. Thus far I've had it happen like, twice ever so it's like...yeah ok.

Maybe it's ok to start from there, as long as they learn to like you for yourself? Maybe I'm dumb as hell? lol

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 5, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I matched a fat chick on tinder recently. She was really nice and had two good dates but then it kind of fizzled out. It's a shame, could've been fun. As far as attractiveness, I think as usual it's confidence and effort in fitting clothing, hair, etc. Unfortunately age helps too, a chubby 20-something is cool but by 40 it's a big difference compared to a fit person.

Personally I was never super fat, but sitting at a computer 24/7 and various junk food definitely took its toll. I think most people could make a pretty big difference by just cutting out soda, alcohol and reducing portion sizes without a huge effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVid_fLzN5g?
Hell yeah!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Stink Billyums posted:

the way I see it, in a deterministic universe I couldn't have done anything but eat that pie for dinner

In a deterministic universe though the people who are assholes about people’s weight had to be assholes. I prefer to believe in free will. I think I can justify that belief but I might be deluding myself but if I am deluded than I had no choice to be anything else.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
It's fat to be fat, imo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

serious norman posted:

It's fat to be fat, imo.

Please
Hand me
A
Taco

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Bloop posted:

Please
Hand me
A
Taco

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

The Bloop posted:

Please
Hand me
A
Taco

Ham At Every Supper

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
My second serious girlfriend was almost 6 feet tall and definitely had the body of a Renaissance-art woman. She was shaped like a capital S. I don't see too many women that look like her to this day. At the time, I was 18 years old and only 5'6 but dating her sharply changed what body types I found attractive moving forward.

At the time, I was also fairly slim. It didn't matter. She was just incredibly beautiful and the thing I remember most is in bed, she'd be sleeping on her side and that swell of a hip under the blanket just seemed so impossibly feminine and beautiful.

The other part of it was that she also was super body positive and confident, which also made her all the more attractive. After that, even though I was never a big dude, I always wondered why anyone would want to date a woman with the body type of a 14 year old boy.

But I know, "ideal" body image objectification in the media in the USA (and elsewhere) as being as skinny as possible still remains the dominant aesthetic to this day. I remember finally seeing a "plus sized" model for the first time and it really painted a harsh picture of body type expectations in our culture, as this plus size woman was still what most of us would call skinny.

I just want her to have a bit of a belly! Because of that girl, I legit now find stomach rolls attractive. But more importantly, I wish that many more folks were just comfortable and accepting of their own body! Easier said than done, though. I had an eating disorder my freshman year of college that put me at 110 pounds. I've always struggled with my own body image issues and to have a partner who loved herself was a very healthy learning experience for me, IMO.

Anyway thank u for listening to some of my relationship preferences, stay tuned for an agonizing 76-slide PowerPoint presentation from me in a bit. It's a quick 3 hours long.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The Bloop posted:

No one has said being fat is immoral. Unless it was an isolated post and I missed it.

See, most of us are able to read between the lines and understand the meaning behind comments like "Seems like some copium imho" when pics showing fat people existing in other eras were shared.

Light Gun Man posted:

I am a bit of two minds re: being fetishized. Probably because I'm a guy, so it only happens rarely and thus feels quaint and like a compliment? I imagine it sucks if it happens a lot. Thus far I've had it happen like, twice ever so it's like...yeah ok.

Maybe it's ok to start from there, as long as they learn to like you for yourself? Maybe I'm dumb as hell? lol

There's a difference between fetishized and lusted after because you happen to be someone's 'type'. The first is destructive and doesn't respect you as a person, just as a slab of meat.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Body positivity and confidence are the sexiest things imaginable if you ask this man of classical stature

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

The Bloop posted:

Please
Hand me
A
Taco

Noice

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Fat people love a good ham burger, and hell, so do I.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Fashionable Jorts posted:

See, most of us are able to read between the lines and understand the meaning behind comments like "Seems like some copium imho" when pics showing fat people existing in other eras were shared.

There's a difference between fetishized and lusted after because you happen to be someone's 'type'. The first is destructive and doesn't respect you as a person, just as a slab of meat.

That makes sense, thanks.

Stink Billyums posted:

Ham At Every Supper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRpyVEMnYTc

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fashionable Jorts posted:

:rolleyes: I guess I have a lot of growing up to do.

Your fashion choices are 100% your fault/doing/responsibility, within the boundaries of your means, but it is an amoral issue. No matter how good or bad your outfit is, how fashionable or frowned upon, it is not a "moral failing"* or a triumph of virtue on your part. Even if someone wants to make the (wrong) argument that being fat is completely a matter of personal choice, that does not automatically inject morality into it.

I personally think that montage was sweet and could be helpful but that the argument it was making was a bit off the mark, a bit like people going on every single sunday show to complain about being deplatformed. Those pictures were obviously pretty easy to come by. The wider media doesn't show them that much but they don't show people that look like that NOW very much either. The existence of some number of fat people in the past says nothing about whether people are, on average, fatter now.

*Unless you wear a swastika or something obviously

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBk3QcocYaw

:black101:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

serious norman posted:

Fat people love good, and hell, so do I.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

The Bloop posted:

No one is whining about it as far as I can see.

I did say that it would take time to read what was posted and I was very interested in seeing the evidence. Are you calling that whining?
It's probably the part where I showed you the evidence, and then you said it was bullshit on the level of feng shui and unicorn farts, and then I showed you a mountain of completely mainstream (JAMA etc.) evidence and you ignored it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

It's probably the part where I showed you the evidence, and then you said it was bullshit on the level of feng shui and unicorn farts, and then I showed you a mountain of completely mainstream (JAMA etc.) evidence and you ignored it

none of that happened, sorry

I am working a full time job and have not yet read 90 pages of scientific paper for my own interest. I did however mention that it would take time to read, and that I was grateful it was posted and interested to read it when I had time.

I did give my initial reaction to some of the headings that I had only skimmed (and said as much) in an acerbic gbs fashion and I apologize if I wasn't clear enough that this was not an out of hand dismissal but rather an initial reaction to SOME of the headings in the fluff section of the research. I do think I was plenty clear enough, mind you, but am willing to concede that I may not have been.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ok let’s change course?

In other news I’ve decided to describe my body as a “Crumbian monstrosity” but I’m not entirely convinced it works. How do you describe your body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sorry TW it was not my intention to poo poo up your thread

teen witch posted:

Ok let’s change course?

In other news I’ve decided to describe my body as a “Crumbian monstrosity” but I’m not entirely convinced it works. How do you describe your body

lmao

I mostly define myself as Out Of Shape

but, you know, round IS a shape